PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Williams struggling to guard perimeter; Wolves force him to PF position

PleezeBelieve
12-15-2011, 07:14 PM
And so it begins...

Dude can't even check Beasley on the perimeter. :eek:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/135642263.html

* Derrick Williams' NBA introduction is having its ups and down, enough so that Adelman said he's asking him now solely to focus on playing power forward.

So much for some fans' expectations I've picked up on Twitter and this here blog that he'd overtake Michael Beasley for the starting small forward job by as soon as opening night.

Remember Beasley was the second overall pick in a stronger 2008 draft and he's played three pro seasons already.

Williams is struggling with defending small forwards -- namely Beasley in practice -- out on the floor and for those who wondered at draft time how much he was a duplication of Beasley for now must ask themselves this.Is he rather a duplication of Love?

Of course, it's early and Williams is oh-so-young.

And the Wolves have plenty of other options at small forward for now: Beasley, Anthony Randolph, Wes Johnson, even Martell Webster if he gets healthy.

LoneyROY7
12-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Let's be real though...Beasley is a very talented offensive player. I'd expect him to tear up Williams in practice.

DuMa
12-15-2011, 07:17 PM
I saw this from day 1. defense is the biggest thing for a rookie to adjust to.

mattvNJ
12-15-2011, 07:19 PM
you can't expect him to jump in and guard a guy who has skills on offense and who has been in the league for 3 years. Its just something u can't expect. Hell get it, just give a guy some time. I heard they are moving him to the 4 any way for the time being.

PleezeBelieve
12-15-2011, 07:24 PM
Excuses...

Dude was never a small forward. Move on...

Crown&Coke
12-15-2011, 07:26 PM
Excuses...

he himself stated he wanted to play the 4

And Beasley pretty darn good offensively, I would expect a rook to have trouble

PleezeBelieve
12-15-2011, 07:31 PM
If the Wolves got him playingPF, he's not even a starting. :oldlol:

That's called having the life of a tweener.

SMFH

MichaelCheazley
12-15-2011, 07:32 PM
And so it begins...

Beasley is a talented offensive player. You act like its such an easy thing to guard him.

mattvNJ
12-15-2011, 07:33 PM
excuses? Only a handful of rookies are able to adjust that quickly especially on defense. I think that Williams is gone be very solid in years to come... stop riding his ass dude. :facepalm

http://images.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/10271761.jpg

AngelEyes
12-15-2011, 07:35 PM
Body wise looks like more of a power foward than a small foward. He definitely has some offensive skills but I think he'll struggle defensively in the NBA, certainly in his rookie season, like most rookies, he'll struggle mightily at times. He does appear to be a tweener, but nonetheless it was still a good pick in a thin draft.

G-train
12-15-2011, 07:37 PM
I think he will play 4 quite well.
David West potential, but more athletic and extended range.

PleezeBelieve
12-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Wolves already Love their franchise PF.

Are you people this dense? If he's a PF, he's a back up in that team.

Human Error
12-15-2011, 07:42 PM
And so it begins...

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/135642263.html
Idiot. Beasley is one of the most talented offensive players in the NBA. Drop dead dumbass.

IGOTGAME
12-15-2011, 07:42 PM
Excuses...

i don't get it. So he plays power forward, who cares?

AngelEyes
12-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Idiot. Beasley is one of the most talented offensive players in the NBA. Drop dead dumbass.

This. I wouldn't expect a rookie to be able to guard one of the most talented scoring fowards in basketball. For all of Beasley's faults he is still quite proficient at scoring.

MeLO MvP 15
12-15-2011, 07:48 PM
You obviously don't have an agenda with this thread...

I'll laugh my ass off if Derrick Williams becomes an all star and Kyrie flops. Just because of you.... and I'll feel really bad for the other Cavs fans

PleezeBelieve
12-15-2011, 07:49 PM
You all act like the dude will be able to guard PF. :roll:

Keep the excuses coming. This is good.

Human Error
12-15-2011, 07:54 PM
You all act like the dude will be able to guard PF. :roll:

Keep the excuses coming. This is good.
You are the same idiot who said that the Cavs would win 50 games without Lebron and the only one who is trolling here. It is not your fault that you were born this idiotic so I cannot blame you though.

PleezeBelieve
12-15-2011, 07:54 PM
You obviously don't have an agenda with this thread...

I'll laugh my ass off if Derrick Williams becomes an all star and Kyrie flops. Just because of you.... and I'll feel really bad for the other Cavs fans
Why hate a GAWD??

LMAO @ this guy making an all star team when he doesn't even have a position.

RRR3
12-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Why hate a GAWD??

LMAO @ this guy making an all star team when he doesn't even have a position.
Going from LeBron James to Kyrie Irving is like going from Dom Perignon to Weasel Spit.

PJR
12-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Tweeeeeener.

2LeTTeRS
12-15-2011, 07:57 PM
I'm not seeing the big deal. Isn't this the exact same thing people said about Beasley when he was traded to Minny? 2 years later he's playing the position well. Jeff Green also struggled making the jump from the 4 to the 3.

In case you didn't know it takes a while for any player to adjust to the athleticism you face in the NBA, but when you go from defending bigs to guarding wing players the jump is especially hard. I wouldn't be alarmed at all.

PleezeBelieve
12-15-2011, 08:00 PM
LMAO @ you clowns. Talking about me won't help this guy find a position. During the draft, you all said he was a small forward. The Wolves coach and I disagree -- guess whose opinions matter here?

:oldlol:

PleezeBelieve
12-15-2011, 08:02 PM
I'm not seeing the big deal. Isn't this the exact same thing people said about Beasley when he was traded to Minny? 2 years later he's playing the position well. Jeff Green also struggled making the jump from the 4 to the 3.

In case you didn't know it takes a while for any player to adjust to the athleticism you face in the NBA, but when you go from defending bigs to guarding wing players the jump is especially hard. I wouldn't be alarmed at all.
Wolves drafted Williams to beat out Beasley for the SF position... f*ck you dudes talking about?

Minny tried to give away Beasley for Kevin Martin.

noob cake
12-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Williams blew up because of his tournament performance; he is slightly overrated on these boards. Tweeners don't do well and 99% of them don't have the offensive potential and handling of Beasy.

Fiasco
12-15-2011, 08:10 PM
Oh wow, Derrick Williams is going to play his natural position.

Shocker.

jlitt
12-15-2011, 08:20 PM
No NBA player can be stopped 1 on 1, even against another nba player. That is how good these guys are. In regards to that comment obviously Dwight howard could punish Ricky Rubio. But in terms of Position Vs. Position , no way.

dyna
12-15-2011, 08:21 PM
Wolves drafted Williams to beat out Beasley for the SF position... f*ck you dudes talking about?

Derrick Williams, Jonas Valanciunas >>> Tristan Thompson

B-Easy8
12-15-2011, 09:34 PM
Our rookie is struggling to guard our best offensive player, how is this a surprise? Most people had trouble guarding Beasley last year, does that mean they all fail at the 3 spot?

I think Williams will play most minutes at the 4 but will also backup the 3 for some of the game also. By the way the article you posted is rubbish because it said Anthony Randolph can play the 3.

percolator
12-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Who didn't see this coming? Well, besides David Kahn

veilside23
12-15-2011, 09:53 PM
to me williams is like a derrick coleman / rodney rogers..

noob cake
12-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Our rookie is struggling to guard our best offensive player, how is this a surprise? Most people had trouble guarding Beasley last year, does that mean they all fail at the 3 spot?

I think Williams will play most minutes at the 4 but will also backup the 3 for some of the game also. By the way the article you posted is rubbish because it said Anthony Randolph can play the 3.

Well Wolves didn't expect Williams to be able to guard Beasy, but he probably was too slow for a 3 in practice regardless.

rosonviyavong
12-15-2011, 10:25 PM
ONLY if Kev Love was a center then they wouldn''t have to worry much about anything ...

Rubio
Wes J.
Beasley
Williams
Love

But that's not the case ...I can see them trying it out but idk

PleezeBelieve
12-15-2011, 10:30 PM
ONLY if Kev Love was a center then they wouldn''t have to worry much about anything ...

Rubio
Wes J.
Beasley
Williams
Love

But that's not the case ...I can see them trying it out but idk
That's a terrible line up. Besides, Love isnt a Center.

Again, if Williams is a PF, why draft him with Love on the team?? This is the point no one is answering.

Oh thats right, you got no f*cking answer.

G-train
12-15-2011, 10:36 PM

Again, if Williams is a PF, why draft him with Love on the team?? This is the point no one is answering.

So who should the wolves drafted at 2?

outbreak
12-15-2011, 10:45 PM
SHould have traded the pick imo. But they thought he could be a 3 and he still can be. All rookies struggle on defense first year generally.

chips93
12-15-2011, 10:46 PM
SHould have traded the pick imo. But they thought he could be a 3 and he still can be. All rookies struggle on defense first year generally.

they tried to, the best offer they got was gortat, iirc.

So who should the wolves drafted at 2?

. . . i should have sent you the article in a pm :banghead:

DukeDelonte13
12-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Derrick Williams, Jonas Valanciunas >>> Tristan Thompson

Thompson shut Derrick Williams the **** down during their workouts with the cavs.

Tha Catalyst
12-15-2011, 11:15 PM

Everybody with half a brain knows you draft the best player available. Back in 1984 Portland decided to not pick a star SG coming out of Carolina because they already had a star SG. More recently Detroit pick Darko over Anthony because they were happy with Prince's progression. Always pick the best player available, then you can make trades if necessary. Understand now?

GOBB
12-15-2011, 11:34 PM
Michael Beasley as much as I break his chops is a good scorer. There is no :facepalm for any rookie trying to handle him one on one. He avg 19 last season and had some big scoring outputs over the season.

GOBB
12-15-2011, 11:36 PM
Oh wow, Derrick Williams is going to play his natural position.

Shocker.

:oldlol:

:cheers:

ballsohard247
12-15-2011, 11:39 PM
Michael Beasley as much as I break his chops is a good scorer. There is no :facepalm for any rookie trying to handle him one on one. He avg 19 last season and had some big scoring outputs over the season.
This. Beasley is no slouch.

DevilsAssassin
12-16-2011, 01:22 AM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Michael Beasley BREAKOUT SEASON!!!

24PPG 7RPG 4APG 48FG% :bowdown: :bowdown:

DevilsAssassin
12-16-2011, 01:24 AM

false. ***** you don't no shiiiiiiiiit

DevilsAssassin
12-16-2011, 01:28 AM

this. Michael Beasley is just too talented.

Barely anybody in the league can guard him str8 up. And now that he lost 15 pounds in the off-season, he is going to be a much more dangerous offensive weapon for the Wolves.

22PPG 6RPG 2APG 48FG% 413PT% 55TS% PER19 before he went down with injuries.

:bowdown: :bowdown:

DevilsAssassin
12-16-2011, 01:30 AM
vs Kings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=841U5P4Qytg

vs Hornets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QzL2-_dFck

vs Clippers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKRDCQnUZIM

vs Cavs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8oPKfPDSVc

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: