PDA

View Full Version : Point Guard options

lakerfreak
12-17-2011, 07:25 PM
So we have all at some point agreed that we can use an upgrade at the point guard position. Let us all take turns to examine who is out there, and what possible options the lakers can pursue.

I have not heard about what the warriors did with Acie Law. Did they end up keeping him or did he sign elsewhere? What would it take to get Acie Law? Clearly he is not a minimum wage player as I myself, still consider him to be a prospect.

Sebastian Telfair is also a free agent on the TWolves. Any word on whether they kept him, are keeping him, or if he's leaving?

I also like the thought of Aaron Brooks and Nick Young. I know that Nick Young is a shooting guard, but he can handle the ball well, he's very young and athletic, and against the lakers, him and Kobe sure like to compete. Its fun watching those.

Now... Let us evaluate what we have to offer

Picks
1st round pick: 2012 from Dallas
1st round pick: 2012
2nd round pick: 2012

Prospects
Derrick Caracter
Devin E-banks
Andrew Goudelock
Darius Morris

Expiring contracts
The lakers do not have any attractive expiring contracts.

It seems to me that landing a young guard could be very well possible, if we are talking about a Kirk Hinrich caliber point guard. We would have to throw in a first rounder, probably 2 of our young prospects, and a role player that can still make an impact, i.e. Metta World Peace.

If you guys have any ideas for who to trade, and what point guard you would like, feel free to share!

Keep posting!

~LF~

brownmamba00
12-18-2011, 09:23 AM
Pulling off something for Hinrich, Teague or Lou Williams should be the primary objective.

If we aren't getting any of those just sign Baron for the min. and hope he can play like last year on a more consistent level.

bleedinpurpleTwo
12-18-2011, 11:15 AM
there are no upgrades available thru free agency.
Baron Davis is injured and you never know what you get in the best of times.
Agent Zero is not a true PG, but at least he can spread the floor.

My money is on Zero...he will be signed for minimum dollars.

All Net
12-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Sounds like Baron could be heading to the Knicks.

tamaraw08
12-18-2011, 12:13 PM
So we have all at some point agreed that we can use an upgrade at the point guard position. Let us all take turns to examine who is out there, and what possible options the lakers can pursue.

I have not heard about what the warriors did with Acie Law. Did they end up keeping him or did he sign elsewhere? What would it take to get Acie Law? Clearly he is not a minimum wage player as I myself, still consider him to be a prospect.

Sebastian Telfair is also a free agent on the TWolves. Any word on whether they kept him, are keeping him, or if he's leaving?

I also like the thought of Aaron Brooks and Nick Young. I know that Nick Young is a shooting guard, but he can handle the ball well, he's very young and athletic, and against the lakers, him and Kobe sure like to compete. Its fun watching those.

Now... Let us evaluate what we have to offer

Picks
1st round pick: 2012 from Dallas
1st round pick: 2012
2nd round pick: 2012

Prospects
Derrick Caracter
Devin E-banks
Andrew Goudelock
Darius Morris

Expiring contracts
The lakers do not have any attractive expiring contracts.

It seems to me that landing a young guard could be very well possible, if we are talking about a Kirk Hinrich caliber point guard. We would have to throw in a first rounder, probably 2 of our young prospects, and a role player that can still make an impact, i.e. Metta World Peace.

If you guys have any ideas for who to trade, and what point guard you would like, feel free to share!

Keep posting!

~LF~
Yes, I mentioned Mo Williams from a separate thread, but Acie Law? Telfair? And even a SG?REally>?:(
Is Steve Blake really that bad for you guys?
Steve has hovered around 10 pts, 6 assists per 36 mins of play the past few years.
He has a career 3pt % of 39%.
Just before Phil decided to over rely on Fish last year, Steve averaged 10pts 6.3 assists at Portland and with Clips.
Im not saying he would be an allstar but IMO, he would be far better than other alternatives right now. Unless ofcourse we are talking about players who have been in allstar games, averaged more than 15 pts 8 assists/game ,shoot a decent % from the 3pt area AND HEALTHY.

lakerfreak
12-18-2011, 03:30 PM
there are no upgrades available thru free agency.
Baron Davis is injured and you never know what you get in the best of times.
Agent Zero is not a true PG, but at least he can spread the floor.

My money is on Zero...he will be signed for minimum dollars.

My money would be on Zero also, even though I wouldn't like it. I don't care about his playing abilities, im talking about his behavior. His pranks are too far. I wouldn't want him causing locker room problems. But yes, I agree he's another scoring threat that can spread the floor. Him and Kobe can be the primary ball handlers. It'll take pressure off Kobe.

TryToBeUnbias
12-18-2011, 03:43 PM
Agent Zero would be just fine. Kirk is a nice addition as well.

L.A. Jazz
12-18-2011, 04:14 PM
i would take the chance and look at Blake, Fish,... under coach Brown. we all have to accept that Phil is gone and with him the triangle, the no-action for rookies,...

and then make the moves for new players.

TryToBeUnbias
12-18-2011, 04:29 PM
i would take the chance and look at Blake, Fish,... under coach Brown. we all have to accept that Phil is gone and with him the triangle, the no-action for rookies,...

and then make the moves for new players.

I want to see Blake start if were the Lakers don't make anymore signings.

bleedinpurpleTwo
12-18-2011, 04:56 PM
signing Zero could have some real benefits:
1. instant offense off the bench, and/or
2. if starter, spreads the court, can't double anyone and
3. an attraction for Dwight Howard.

BallsOut
12-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Hinrich or Jarrett Jack please

Robster89
12-18-2011, 06:44 PM
Pulling off something for Hinrich, Teague or Lou Williams should be the primary objective.

If we aren't getting any of those just sign Baron for the min. and hope he can play like last year on a more consistent level.

I've long been a Hinrich fan.
I was really hoping ATL would resign Crawford (super suprised they let him walk, especially for the low amount of pay he will be getting), then I thought they may be interested in moving Kirk for the LO TE, along with a future pick.
(So esentially we'd get Kirk for LO). Not so sure they want to move him now though, but I agree, he'd be a nice fit.

TryToBeUnbias
12-18-2011, 11:01 PM
Hinrich or Jarrett Jack please
Is he even available ?

DirtySanchez
12-19-2011, 02:04 AM
If we can get him for a cheap 1 year deal I say why not.
But I heard the Knicks want him as well.

How is he health wise?

Who I would sign up is Aaron Brooks.

All Net
12-19-2011, 06:54 AM
Baron Davis is officially off the market.

idizzle
01-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Moving Devin Harris?: ESPN

DirtySanchez
01-20-2012, 06:32 PM
Wait can Lamar TE 8.9 million be use to get Harris?

Harris has one more year at 8.5 right??

But he is owed 9.3 this season??? Somebody help me with the numbers on this.

LA_Showtime
01-21-2012, 04:06 AM
I know guys like Hinrich and Jack would be huge upgrades to what we have now, but I would rather find a point guard who can regularly break down defenses and get guys open shots. Hinrich and Jack, while both solid players, don't really do that consistently.

magicmanfan
01-21-2012, 12:17 PM
I like the Aaron Brooks option....

We need a speed guy who can sink shots.... We really only have
one penetrator (Kobe) which leads to everyone watching Kobe
do his thing... even when he's triple teamed!!!

DKLaker
01-21-2012, 03:35 PM
I like the Aaron Brooks option....

We need a speed guy who can sink shots.... We really only have
one penetrator (Kobe) which leads to everyone watching Kobe
do his thing... even when he's triple teamed!!!

Brooks can't get out of China until March....unless we make a deal to pay them off. I would love to have him!!!!

BallsOut
01-21-2012, 03:43 PM
As it stands, this laker team is not a serious contender for the title. They should trade Bynum + Morris + Goudelock + 1st and 2nd round pick for Dwight Howard. Then send the TE and 2nd round pick to the Hawks for Kirk Hinrich

PG: Hinrich/Blake/Fisher
SG: Bryant/Kapono
SF: Barnes/Peace/Ebanks
PF: Gasol/McRoberts
C: Howard/Murphy

:bowdown:

Swaggin916
01-22-2012, 02:07 AM
Hinrich is not really what we need at PG and Harris would be awful don't need a 29 year old honestly... would prefer someone younger and quicker. Harris still is decently quick but injuries have slowed him some and he can't shoot.

BallsOut
01-22-2012, 08:09 PM
Let's remember folks, the Lakers need an upgrade at PG for defensive purposes. Hinrich is probably the best as they come in that regard. If he doesn't work out his 8.1 mill comes off the books by the end of this season as well. Better risk than Devin Harris who has 9.3 mill left on his contract next year and not known for his defense.

Jarrett Jack is another option if New Orleans wants to shed some more salary.

qrich
01-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Give Mike Taylor a chance!

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-23-2012, 06:25 PM
I would trade bynum plus filler for D12 and then turn Pau into couple of role players like scola/martin/lowry

Pau for D williams/Beasley/wes johnson/filler

Lakers dont need a BIG 3....they can win with Dwight/Kobe and bunch of good role players like scola/lowry and martin to come off the bench plus who is an expirer next year

DKLaker
01-24-2012, 02:09 AM
Let's remember folks, the Lakers need an upgrade at PG for defensive purposes. Hinrich is probably the best as they come in that regard. If he doesn't work out his 8.1 mill comes off the books by the end of this season as well. Better risk than Devin Harris who has 9.3 mill left on his contract next year and not known for his defense.

Jarrett Jack is another option if New Orleans wants to shed some more salary.

OK........If we trade for a PG who then comes off the books, we'll be in a worse spot next year than we are now....right?

I hope we are not dumb enough to attempt a trade with Stern again.......kinda like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football with Lucy holding it....(Ok, I'm old) only to have her repeatedly move the ball causing him to land on his head. Let's not be that guy. I'll bet Stern has told every NBA team to turn down any trade the Lakers offer.

DirtySanchez
01-24-2012, 03:48 AM
I would trade bynum plus filler for D12 and then turn Pau into couple of role players like scola/martin/lowry

Pau for D williams/Beasley/wes johnson/filler

Lakers dont need a BIG 3....they can win with Dwight/Kobe and bunch of good role players like scola/lowry and martin to come off the bench plus who is an expirer next year
Pipe dream dude....

Any how I'm all for getting Howard now for future purposes. Players will make their way to LA in the future if we get him. Yes we need a pg but a franchise big man is harder to find. And no Bynum is not that. I would give up both Bynum n Gasol and get Howard turkeyboy n Nelson.

All Net
01-24-2012, 05:23 AM
When I see point guards options oh I think what might of been with chris paul:(

M.V.W.
01-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Pipe dream dude....

Any how I'm all for getting Howard now for future purposes. Players will make their way to LA in the future if we get him. Yes we need a pg but a franchise big man is harder to find. And no Bynum is not that. I would give up both Bynum n Gasol and get Howard turkeyboy n Nelson.

Bingo! I believe many people, both Laker fans and non-fans alike, who talk about the Lakers needing a PG, not Howard, are only thinking of now. A ring doesn't seem likely this year so they might as well prepare for the future. Bryant has another 2-3 years of elite production and Howard along with the right supporting cast could yield one last hurrah. Not to mention the Lakers just made that Time Warner TV deal last year.

kobesabi
01-25-2012, 12:51 AM
How about hire AI for cheap or temporary hire until we get true young PG? He could be of use to us for now I think. At least he can be that other guy other than Kobe to attack the paint.

DKLaker
01-25-2012, 03:33 AM
How about hire AI for cheap or temporary hire until we get true young PG? He could be of use to us for now I think. At least he can be that other guy other than Kobe to attack the paint.

I've been thinking about that for weeks :cheers: I know most guys will bash the idea but I'm all for it.

lakerfreak
01-27-2012, 02:43 AM
He's (iverson's) been out of basketball for a while. I wouldn't trust him as a starter, or as a player on this team.

LA.MJ&KB#1
01-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Hey, Eric Gordon refuse to sign extension with NO....Could we get this guy.

DKLaker
01-27-2012, 05:34 PM

:facepalm Attempting to trade with Stern :facepalm :oldlol:

DKLaker
01-27-2012, 05:36 PM
He's (iverson's) been out of basketball for a while. I wouldn't trust him as a starter, or as a player on this team.

I'm positive he's still better than anyone we have right now.

bladefd
01-27-2012, 05:46 PM

Another team out there would probably offer a lot more for him than we could..

dd24
01-30-2012, 01:41 PM
It's funny to me that Hinrich's name is still thrown out there. I would have loved him when Phil Jackson was the coach and the Lakers were running the triangle. Now that Mike Brown is the coach I don't see him fitting in. I wasn't really ever a fan of that hire..... I didn't like him in Cleveland and I don't like what he's doing in LA..... back to the PG thing, I do like the Aaron Brooks ideas. Sure we can't get him until March but it's only a month away. He'll have enough time to fit in and gel with the team before the playoffs. Right now he looks like the best available option. I like gambling on Arenas for the vets minimum too. I still think Morris needs more PT as well.

lakerfreak
01-30-2012, 04:05 PM
I'm positive he's still better than anyone we have right now.

hmm...goudelock?

talkingconch
01-30-2012, 05:25 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/WojYahooNBA/status/164075075719544832

Ramon Sessions?

DKLaker
01-30-2012, 06:17 PM
hmm...goudelock?

I liked him since we drafted him.......but let's not get too excited yet.....right Smush? :roll:

lakerfreak
01-30-2012, 06:26 PM
I liked him since we drafted him.......but let's not get too excited yet.....right Smush? :roll:

yeah yeah ha ha ha smush parker was a bust. God I should have never posted about him back in the day. I gotta admit though laker fans were being stupid in this era.

dd24
01-30-2012, 06:29 PM
Here's another rumor to throw into the mix....

[QUOTE]Don

DKLaker
01-30-2012, 06:53 PM
yeah yeah ha ha ha smush parker was a bust. God I should have never posted about him back in the day. I gotta admit though laker fans were being stupid in this era.

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:
It's funny that the numbers Smush put up in his best season would make us drool now, compared to what our current guys are doing.
Smush's biggest problem is that he was painfully shy and couldn't deal with the attention, interviews etc......to the point it destroyed his game. He actually did have the skills and game.....but as they say, a large part of the game is mental.

Bosnian Sajo
01-30-2012, 07:24 PM
Jose Calderon for the TE? Would make alot of sense, give us that PG upgrade we desperately need and give Pau a Spaniard buddy so he is happier...:D

dd24
01-30-2012, 07:50 PM
Calderon scares me on defense but offensively he's a huge upgrade.

lakerfreak
01-30-2012, 08:58 PM
I'm sorry, I couldn't resist :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:
It's funny that the numbers Smush put up in his best season would make us drool now, compared to what our current guys are doing.
Smush's biggest problem is that he was painfully shy and couldn't deal with the attention, interviews etc......to the point it destroyed his game. He actually did have the skills and game.....but as they say, a large part of the game is mental.

The thing is, in his first season as a laker, he started in all 82 games, shot at least 45% from the field, averaged 12 points, 3 boards, and 3 rebounds. Not to mention he was a highlight reel with his dunks. I became really irritated when laker fans were putting blame on this guy for the losing. For crying out loud, people overlook that Kwame and Brian Cook were starting that time.

Smush is not a starter, but he wasn't the reason for ALL the losing either.

DirtySanchez
01-30-2012, 09:06 PM
Rumors on Lakers looking at Sessions right now.

millencolin735
02-02-2012, 04:04 PM
ERIC BLEDDDSSSOOOEEEE!!!!! Make it happen Mitch!!! Haha. :banana:

talkingconch
02-02-2012, 04:38 PM
Lakers are working under the radar right now, if you can sense it. IDK it reminds me of when the gasol trade went down.

something will go down by march i hope

lakerfreak
02-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Lakers are working under the radar right now, if you can sense it. IDK it reminds me of when the gasol trade went down.

something will go down by march i hope

Thats always how they have been, and how most other teams' general managers are as well. So yes, they could be working on something big right now. I'll tell ya one thing, Mitch isn't one to sleep on the job. He's always looking to make big things happen.

Robster89
02-03-2012, 12:47 AM
Problem is guys there is no Houston trade on the table.
Houston wouldn't trade Lowery even straight up for Gasol even if it did work money wise (which it does not). Lowery is a top 5 PG right now. He's 25 and makes chump change for the next 3 years. He is untouchable. Pau still has value, but he's on the wrong side of 30 and is owed like 60 mil over the next 3 years, this lowers his value. As does his decreased level of play.

I wish the Lakers had made the trade even after the CP3 part fell apart AND kept Odom. Then we would have had Bynum, Scola, Odom, Dragic, Martin and still had 2 first rounders. That was a mistake. Theres no way we'd get that deal (Scola, Martin, Dragic and the pick) now, and forget about Lowery.

DKLaker
02-03-2012, 01:07 AM
Problem is guys there is no Houston trade on the table.
Houston wouldn't trade Lowery even straight up for Gasol even if it did work money wise (which it does not). Lowery is a top 5 PG right now. He's 25 and makes chump change for the next 3 years. He is untouchable. Pau still has value, but he's on the wrong side of 30 and is owed like 60 mil over the next 3 years, this lowers his value. As does his decreased level of play.

I wish the Lakers had made the trade even after the CP3 part fell apart AND kept Odom. Then we would have had Bynum, Scola, Odom, Dragic, Martin and still had 2 first rounders. That was a mistake. Theres no way we'd get that deal (Scola, Martin, Dragic and the pick) now, and forget about Lowery.

I agree 100%......yes we should've immediately jumped all over that Houston deal.....and let Odom cry it out. We'd be so damn good right now :(

Robster89
02-03-2012, 01:31 AM
I agree 100%......yes we should've immediately jumped all over that Houston deal.....and let Odom cry it out. We'd be so damn good right now :(

Damn straight brother! Think about what we'd have:
Bigs- Bynum, Odom, Scola etc
Wings- Kobe, KMart, Barnes, Metta, Ebanks
PG's- Dragic, DFish, Blake

Tons of depth and lots of chips for trades. Plus 2 first rounders (our own and the Knick pick, which right now is beginning to look like it might be a lottery pick!)
Imagine what KMart will be worth (in trades) this offseason. A 20PPG scorer with an expiring 12 mil deal, he'd fetch a ton.
Dragic is better than any PG on our roster. He totally looked like a starting caliber 1 when Lowery missed a few games a while ago.
Scola and Odom ensure we'd still have the best combo at the 4 in the league.
Now, we have none of those things.
Missed opportunity.
And Lamar acted like a baby, but that's LO, he's ultra sensative.
Best to hold his hand and whisper sweet nothings to him and keep him.
Unfortunately, that deal is off the table:facepalm

DKLaker
02-03-2012, 01:34 AM
Damn straight brother! Think about what we'd have:
Bigs- Bynum, Odom, Scola etc
Wings- Kobe, KMart, Barnes, Metta, Ebanks
PG's- Dragic, DFish, Blake

Tons of depth and lots of chips for trades. Plus 2 first rounders (our own and the Knick pick, which right now is beginning to look like it might be a lottery pick!)
Imagine what KMart will be worth (in trades) this offseason. A 20PPG scorer with an expiring 12 mil deal, he'd fetch a ton.
Dragic is better than any PG on our roster. He totally looked like a starting caliber 1 when Lowery missed a few games a while ago.
Scola and Odom ensure we'd still have the best combo at the 4 in the league.
Now, we have none of those things.
Missed opportunity.
And Lamar acted like a baby, but that's LO, he's ultra sensative.
Best to hold his hand and whisper sweet nothings to him and keep him.
Unfortunately, that deal is off the table:facepalm

It's too bad we're not running this team Bro :cheers:

Robster89
02-03-2012, 02:03 AM
It's too bad we're not running this team Bro :cheers:
Cheers!:cheers:

We ought to be asking about Hinrich. He's back now, but Teague has been the stud the Hawks also hoped he'd be, and Pargo has been playing well as the backup since Hinrichs been out.
He'd fit in the TE, and he's on an expiring deal, so no long term commitment (unless it works out and we want to keep him)
Plus, Atlanta is about 8 mil in lux tax land, so shedding his contract would save them double (actually even more with the new CBA)

We are probably holding that TE for a bigger deal at this point, which I understand, for now.

What about Pau for Josh Smith and Hinrich? Might have to throw in a pick, but Hinrich is useless to them at this point, and they have thought about moving Smith before. Pau would look good next to Horford when he returns.
And we'd get instantly athletic! (Plus Josh is tight with Dwight) And we'd still have the TE.

This may sound crazy, but I'd ask about Stephen Jackson. They seriously want him gone, and I have always admired his game. He could split time with Barnes at the 3, and back up Kobe at the 2. He's a tenacious defender, and he can get his own shot, which we desperately need for our bench. Wonder if they take Metta and one of our young players, plus a pick and cash to move him. Save them some money and basically swap our problem for theirs.

At the beginning of the year, I said we most needed help at the 1 and 3, and getting Hinrich and Jackson would address those 2 weaknesses, while still keeping our trade chips to pursue the big prizes (DWill and/or Dwight)

DKLaker
02-03-2012, 03:19 AM
Cheers!:cheers:

We ought to be asking about Hinrich. He's back now, but Teague has been the stud the Hawks also hoped he'd be, and Pargo has been playing well as the backup since Hinrichs been out.
He'd fit in the TE, and he's on an expiring deal, so no long term commitment (unless it works out and we want to keep him)
Plus, Atlanta is about 8 mil in lux tax land, so shedding his contract would save them double (actually even more with the new CBA)

We are probably holding that TE for a bigger deal at this point, which I understand, for now.

What about Pau for Josh Smith and Hinrich? Might have to throw in a pick, but Hinrich is useless to them at this point, and they have thought about moving Smith before. Pau would look good next to Horford when he returns.
And we'd get instantly athletic! (Plus Josh is tight with Dwight) And we'd still have the TE.

This may sound crazy, but I'd ask about Stephen Jackson. They seriously want him gone, and I have always admired his game. He could split time with Barnes at the 3, and back up Kobe at the 2. He's a tenacious defender, and he can get his own shot, which we desperately need for our bench. Wonder if they take Metta and one of our young players, plus a pick and cash to move him. Save them some money and basically swap our problem for theirs.

At the beginning of the year, I said we most needed help at the 1 and 3, and getting Hinrich and Jackson would address those 2 weaknesses, while still keeping our trade chips to pursue the big prizes (DWill and/or Dwight)

:cheers: You are on a good roll......unlike some people on here :oldlol:
I like your ideas!!! Stephen Jackson would be HUGE!!!!
I'm not a big Hinrich guy but I would definitely prefer him to what we have.
I was a Josh Smith guy but his game hasn't evolved....sad because I love his hustle and energy.....but shooting:facepalm I think we could do beter than the Hinrich/Smith deal for Pau.

I wish someone would hit Metta in the head with a bottle.....we need Metta World War :oldlol: Even Kobe said it.

lakerfreak
02-03-2012, 02:52 PM
The lakers were only doing that deal because it was also somewhat of a financial relief to the lakers, when they were going for Chris Paul. Houston would be giving up so many contracts, that lakers probably didn't want to take, seeing that the new CBA is financially strapping the bigger market teams more than the small market ones.

dd24
02-11-2012, 12:53 AM
The other option that we haven't discussed is the draft. The Lakers could stick with the PG's they have right now and draft someone in the offseason. It'll be weird seeing the Lakers draft a bit higher than they're used to. The thing with this draft is it's completely loaded with talent and much of it is big men at the top so there's going to be some good PG's who drop into the 20's range. A guy that I think could be really good in the NBA is Marquis Teague out of Kentucky. Right now he's being projected in the 20's and if he's around at that point I would think the Lakers would take a hard look at him. He's super fast, has the size, gets into the lane, and can create. I think his game is really suited for the faster pace of the NBA. Now, I do understand that LA could end up trading their pick if the make a blockbuster trade, but it would be awesome if the Lakers could make a trade and keep their pick.

lakerfreak
02-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Draft???????????? Are you joking????? So.....we blow off this season and gamble that we draft a guy who could help us by his 2nd year.....maybe???
Ask Kobe how he feels about that :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:
We have to get a functional athletic NBA PG....doesn't have to be a great one.
I saw a high school sophmore last night 2nd year Varsity starter who would just destroy DFish.....it would be worse than what Lin did to the Lakers......I'm not even kidding, it would be a complete @ss whipping.
We have to fix this crap right now!!!!!!!!!!

Kobe was recently interviewed by Stephen A. Smith saying regardless of the moves the lakers make, that he will now retire as a laker, and that the previous demand for a trade's ship as sailed. Kobe is now here for good.

dd24
02-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Draft???????????? Are you joking????? So.....we blow off this season and gamble that we draft a guy who could help us by his 2nd year.....maybe???
Ask Kobe how he feels about that :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:
We have to get a functional athletic NBA PG....doesn't have to be a great one.
I saw a high school sophmore last night 2nd year Varsity starter who would just destroy DFish.....it would be worse than what Lin did to the Lakers......I'm not even kidding, it would be a complete @ss whipping.
We have to fix this crap right now!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not kidding you. Do you really think the Lakers are going to get a great PG this season? This current Lakers roster obviously isn't going to win a championship. Orlando isn't going to trade Howard until the last minute, maybe even the off season so I don't really think it's realistic to think any big moves are going to be made this season. They might grab Arenas but that doesn't make them contenders all the sudden. This off season is where I see the biggest moves being made. We might be stuck with this current roster for this season. So absolutely, I think the draft this year is crucial. Rookie PG's have been known to step in and contribute right away. I'm sure you wouldn't be complaining if the Lakers had Irving or Rubio :cheers:

tamaraw08
02-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Our current PG rotation has really been this bad?
A fair no of us fans were screaming for ANY DECENT PG 2-3 years ago and almost the same no. of us were quite excited upon hearing that they just signed Steve Blake. Steve looked pretty good in Portland, Denver and with the Clips and now??
Which brings in another chicken or the egg question. Is it really the lack of decent PG or is it bec Kobe tends to dominate or hold the ball for atleast 5 seconds at times, hence stagnating the offense or "limiting" what a typical PG can do??
Somebody in 710 am radio this morning was lamenting how the the Lakers missed out on the greatness of Jermy Lin and one caller brought up the point I mentioned above.

DKLaker
02-12-2012, 03:11 PM
I'm not kidding you. Do you really think the Lakers are going to get a great PG this season? This current Lakers roster obviously isn't going to win a championship. Orlando isn't going to trade Howard until the last minute, maybe even the off season so I don't really think it's realistic to think any big moves are going to be made this season. They might grab Arenas but that doesn't make them contenders all the sudden. This off season is where I see the biggest moves being made. We might be stuck with this current roster for this season. So absolutely, I think the draft this year is crucial. Rookie PG's have been known to step in and contribute right away. I'm sure you wouldn't be complaining if the Lakers had Irving or Rubio :cheers:

For the millionth time:

WE DO NOT NEED A GREAT POINT GUARD!!!!!!!!

WE JUST NEED A DECENT ATHLETIC ONE OR ONE WHO CAN SHOOT......MOST TEAMS 3RD STRING PG IS BETTER THAN ANYONE WE HAVE......SO IT'S NOT HARD FOR USE TO GET AN UPGRADE!!!!

DKLaker
02-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Kobe was recently interviewed by Stephen A. Smith saying regardless of the moves the lakers make, that he will now retire as a laker, and that the previous demand for a trade's ship as sailed. Kobe is now here for good.

:facepalm I DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT KOBE ASKING FOR A TRADE!!!!!!!

WHERE THE HELL DID THAT COME FROM?????????

I' m simply saying that Kobe won't be happy if the team decides to wait on a very iffy at best draft pick who wont develop until Kobe is on his way out.......The MAMBA WANTS THAT 6TH RING BADLY!!!!!!!!

kobesabi
02-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Allen Iverson, who sources indicated the Lakers had some interest in as long as he was willing to go to the NBA Developmental League for a few weeks first, is not the answer. He's simply not a point guard. The Lakers are also said to be interested in former Toronto Raptors point guard Rafer Alston, who helped the Orlando Magic reach the NBA Finals in 2009. But who knows if that will materialize into anything?

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/columns/nba/story/_/id/7565707/showtime-only-memory-los-angeles-lakers-new-york-knicks

bladefd
02-12-2012, 05:48 PM
A.I is even smaller than Arenas and looked worse the last time he played. At this point, I would prefer Arenas over A.I..

lakerfreak
02-12-2012, 06:32 PM
:facepalm I DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT KOBE ASKING FOR A TRADE!!!!!!!

WHERE THE HELL DID THAT COME FROM?????????

I' m simply saying that Kobe won't be happy if the team decides to wait on a very iffy at best draft pick who wont develop until Kobe is on his way out.......The MAMBA WANTS THAT 6TH RING BADLY!!!!!!!!

You have to relax, sometimes I feel like you're about ready to throw something at my screen name.

You said this

Ask Kobe how he feels about that

Which to me meant, he would get pissed. In the past when he got pissed, he demanded a trade. So I concluded by your post, that you insinuated Kobe would want out again if he got pissed.

Its just a discussion board DK. The lakers aren't looking at our posts and asking "should we listen to freak or DK". We're just having a basketball discussion, and learning at the same time.

dd24
02-12-2012, 07:24 PM
For the millionth time:

WE DO NOT NEED A GREAT POINT GUARD!!!!!!!!

WE JUST NEED A DECENT ATHLETIC ONE OR ONE WHO CAN SHOOT......MOST TEAMS 3RD STRING PG IS BETTER THAN ANYONE WE HAVE......SO IT'S NOT HARD FOR USE TO GET AN UPGRADE!!!!

You just helped me make my point..... They may not get a great PG with their 1st round pick, but they could get someone who is pretty good and would be far more affordable. I'd rather not make a trade for a mediocre player. A guy like Sessions is not the answer either.....

DKLaker
02-12-2012, 07:50 PM
You just helped me make my point..... They may not get a great PG with their 1st round pick, but they could get someone who is pretty good and would be far more affordable. I'd rather not make a trade for a mediocre player. A guy like Sessions is not the answer either.....

Lakerfreak....I know it's hard to understand a person's tone in writing.....just know that I have the utmost respect for you as a person, you are one of my favs on here and a true class act always. I am extremely happy that you are the mod who stayed on here......so NO, I'm not trying to get personal with you or throwing anything at my computer....:oldlol: :cheers:
For the record again......I never even considered Kobe asking for a trade and I do feel that the Lakers will make a deal this season and have a shot at a title.

DD24.....what are you talking about bro.....what??? You really want us to waste time on another rookie like your boy Morris who you thought would be the answer???? I am talking about getting a guy who is already in the NBA and has shown he belongs there......a draft pick that we would get would be a lower pick and likely a bust.........our dumb butts picked Crittendon over Aaron Brooks :facepalm Kobe.....me and most people do not want to waste a year on a what if, but maybe.....bust rookie.

kobe080
02-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Get Howard+Ryan Anderson+Turkoglu+Jameer Nelson for Gasol & Bynum and we would be ok.

DKLaker
02-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Get Howard+Ryan Anderson+Turkoglu+Jameer Nelson for Gasol & Bynum and we would be ok.

I'll drop off and pick all involved up at the airport :oldlol: :cheers:

Let's do it Mitch!!!!!!! :D

dd24
02-12-2012, 09:12 PM
DD24.....what are you talking about bro.....what??? You really want us to waste time on another rookie like your boy Morris who you thought would be the answer???? I am talking about getting a guy who is already in the NBA and has shown he belongs there......a draft pick that we would get would be a lower pick and likely a bust.........our dumb butts picked Crittendon over Aaron Brooks :facepalm Kobe.....me and most people do not want to waste a year on a what if, but maybe.....bust rookie.

I'm still high on Morris, but I never said he was a for sure answer. He definitely deserves more PT though. The first round is loaded with talent this year and I think it's a good pick to have. Anyhow, there is no quick fix. The Lakers need a season to rebuild. Let's just be happy that they're still a competitive team and have some tradeable pieces. I'm sure they'll make some moves, it's just not going to happen overnight and I think it'll probably take more than this season.

TryToBeUnbias
02-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Session and Arenas ?

DKLaker
02-13-2012, 12:47 AM
I'm still high on Morris, but I never said he was a for sure answer. He definitely deserves more PT though. The first round is loaded with talent this year and I think it's a good pick to have. Anyhow, there is no quick fix. The Lakers need a season to rebuild. Let's just be happy that they're still a competitive team and have some tradeable pieces. I'm sure they'll make some moves, it's just not going to happen overnight and I think it'll probably take more than this season.

True, you never said he was the sure answer, I was simply making the point that a guy like Morris may turn out to be a complete bust.....to bank on drafting a rookie to play PG for this team is far too big a gamble to even consider.
There is absolutely no reason that we cannot make a simple trade or two to make this team a championship contender......we have already passed on a deal which would've done that.....the Houston deal....Scola, Martin, Dragic and #1 pick.....would've given us a definite shot......and if we pulled off a Bynum for Howard deal...I would have us as the favorites. This could still happen. Look at how late in the season the Pau trade was made.....and we got to the finals.....no reason at all to think a trade deadline deal or two would be too late.

lakerfreak
02-13-2012, 02:01 AM
True, you never said he was the sure answer, I was simply making the point that a guy like Morris may turn out to be a complete bust.....to bank on drafting a rookie to play PG for this team is far too big a gamble to even consider.
There is absolutely no reason that we cannot make a simple trade or two to make this team a championship contender......we have already passed on a deal which would've done that.....the Houston deal....Scola, Martin, Dragic and #1 pick.....would've given us a definite shot......and if we pulled off a Bynum for Howard deal...I would have us as the favorites. This could still happen. Look at how late in the season the Pau trade was made.....and we got to the finals.....no reason at all to think a trade deadline deal or two would be too late.

Agreed, ONLY if it is a worth it move.

About the lakers deal with houston, don't forget that we would have unloaded two big contracts of underachievers in Odom and Pau to get that done to take on a superstar in return.

I guess in that case, for the lakers it was "Chris Paul or nothing". And can you blame them? Taking on all those players would have been a big financial load for a team that we don't even know is going to win the championship. Kobe said it best himself "Other teams are just mad that there would have been a superstar to carry the team after im gone...." Thats honestly what that Chris Paul trade was for. Not to get us to win championships, but to prepare for the long anticipated departure of the second greatest shooting guard to ever play the game.

Make sense?

kobesabi
02-13-2012, 03:18 AM
Lakers is currently giving Gilbert Arenas a test at the moment...

In a search to find some scoring for their floundering offense, Los Angeles Lakers officials attended a private workout for guard Gilbert Arenas on Sunday in Southern California, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Two sources familiar with the workout said Arenas moved well and made a positive impression, but there was no sense of how quickly – if at all – the Lakers would pursue signing him to a free-agent contract.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AobVK7hounOMeUNTfpdQRNi8vLYF?slug=aw-wojnarowski_gilbert_arenas_lakers_021212

On a different aspect, thinking further ahead...if Lakers accept, will this affect the Dwight Howard decision to the Lakers or not? Gilbert was playing with DH in the past and didn't seem to impact much, not sure if it was because of coaching or GA himself. If it was GA himself, it may affect DH decision toward Lakers I think (i.e. thinking oh...more of the same GA stuff). Also by signing GA, I hope it does not mean we won't go after top PG still like DW - I hope DH does not think this way too...

DKLaker
02-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Agreed, ONLY if it is a worth it move.

About the lakers deal with houston, don't forget that we would have unloaded two big contracts of underachievers in Odom and Pau to get that done to take on a superstar in return.

I guess in that case, for the lakers it was "Chris Paul or nothing". And can you blame them? Taking on all those players would have been a big financial load for a team that we don't even know is going to win the championship. Kobe said it best himself "Other teams are just mad that there would have been a superstar to carry the team after im gone...." Thats honestly what that Chris Paul trade was for. Not to get us to win championships, but to prepare for the long anticipated departure of the second greatest shooting guard to ever play the game.

Make sense?

Well since we already unloaded Odom......and the Houston deal would unload Pau we would be completely fine financially......I actually preferred dealing directly with Houston to get those multiple guys rather than to only get Paul.

You NEVER know that a team is going to win a championship.....just ask Miami :roll:

What you do is take your best shot.....and if you have the best player in the game you have a damn great shot as long as you have the balls to make intelligent moves. I'm sure Jerry Buss would love to win 2 more titles to pass Boston before he dies....I'm sure Mitch and Kobe agree on this one.
I sure as hell know I do after enduring all those @ss kickings in the 60's.

I don't see wasting the last great years of Kobe's career as an option.....we may never have a greater, more determined, fearless winner as Kobe.....he and Jordan are in a class by themselves....so we have to take advantage of this NOW!!!!

After Kobe retires we will have a ton of cap room and will still be THE destination to play in and the franchise to play for......we aint Cleveland. Picking up a superstar or two will not be a problem trust me.

lakerfreak
02-13-2012, 06:58 PM
Well since we already unloaded Odom......and the Houston deal would unload Pau we would be completely fine financially......I actually preferred dealing directly with Houston to get those multiple guys rather than to only get Paul.

You NEVER know that a team is going to win a championship.....just ask Miami :roll:

What you do is take your best shot.....and if you have the best player in the game you have a damn great shot as long as you have the balls to make intelligent moves. I'm sure Jerry Buss would love to win 2 more titles to pass Boston before he dies....I'm sure Mitch and Kobe agree on this one.
I sure as hell know I do after enduring all those @ss kickings in the 60's.

I don't see wasting the last great years of Kobe's career as an option.....we may never have a greater, more determined, fearless winner as Kobe.....he and Jordan are in a class by themselves....so we have to take advantage of this NOW!!!!

After Kobe retires we will have a ton of cap room and will still be THE destination to play in and the franchise to play for......we aint Cleveland. Picking up a superstar or two will not be a problem trust me.

And I don't doubt that honestly...Leave out the fact that we are an attractive big market team, but also factor in that we have owners who want that superstar always.

dd24
02-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Here's the latest that I read:

[QUOTE]Two sources familiar with the workout said Arenas moved well and made a positive impression, but there was no sense of how quickly

DKLaker
02-14-2012, 12:02 AM
And I don't doubt that honestly...Leave out the fact that we are an attractive big market team, but also factor in that we have owners who want that superstar always.

You got that right :cheers:

Maybe Jerry West was there to advise Mitch......Jerry is so loyal to the Lakers.....gotta love him :bowdown:
No, I don't see the Warriors in the mix for Arenas

TryToBeUnbias
02-14-2012, 12:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th3oL_cmCmk&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQviDsee6EU&feature=player_embedded

looks a bit healthier..

still like sessions

ihatetimthomas
02-14-2012, 03:17 AM
I am for signing Arenas bc their really is a low risk with him at the vets min. Any points off the bench is better than what we are getting. But an interesting point I heard on 710 today was they may hold out bc they are at 14 players, and having an extra roster spot could help in terms of flexibility if they make a trade. If they think a deal is possible, they may hold out on him until the deadline.

lakerfreak
02-14-2012, 10:01 PM
I am for signing Arenas bc their really is a low risk with him at the vets min. Any points off the bench is better than what we are getting. But an interesting point I heard on 710 today was they may hold out bc they are at 14 players, and having an extra roster spot could help in terms of flexibility if they make a trade. If they think a deal is possible, they may hold out on him until the deadline.

Like Kobe said, it really can't hurt. I think Gilbert averaging 10-12 points on 45% shooting, as well as 5-6 assists would be a much bigger contribution than what Fisher has done this season. Plus, hearing that Gilbert's procedures that he had done makes me relieved if we were to sign him. Maybe he can start for us for 3 or 4 years. Who knows. Has to work hard though, he can't just come here and vacation. He'll be back home so maybe thats an incentive for him to play well.

dd24
02-15-2012, 01:17 AM
I think he has a huge incentive besides that..... it's playing in the NBA again. This could be his last shot, he needs to make the most of it. I would think he probably has a chip on his shoulder and wants to prove himself again.

DKLaker
02-15-2012, 01:58 AM
I think he has a huge incentive besides that..... it's playing in the NBA again. This could be his last shot, he needs to make the most of it. I would think he probably has a chip on his shoulder and wants to prove himself again.

:cheers:

Off topic thought.....sorry but, anyone hear anything about what's going on with the Crittendon trial.....when is it going to get started?

dd24
02-15-2012, 03:00 AM
I think Stephen A brought it up when he was trying to make his point of why the Lakers shouldn't sign Arenas, but he didn't mention any specifics. It sounded like that was going to happen soon though.

GoldMedallist
02-15-2012, 06:26 AM
I think LA could use a PG who can pass the ball and hit 3pt.

Seems like Toronto is almost desperate to move Calderon. LA could try a move to take him. He is a below average defender, but can't be worse than Fisher and Blake, and he gives high assists, low turnovers and good shooting.

He has a higth contract, though.

dd24
02-15-2012, 01:13 PM
I think LA could use a PG who can pass the ball and hit 3pt.

Seems like Toronto is almost desperate to move Calderon. LA could try a move to take him. He is a below average defender, but can't be worse than Fisher and Blake, and he gives high assists, low turnovers and good shooting.

He has a higth contract, though.

Calderon's D might not be worse, but I think it's probably on the same level of Fisher & Blake. He's a far better scorer though. It would be interesting to see what he could do in a different city though and it's still an upgrade.

DirtySanchez
02-15-2012, 02:49 PM
No quick movement on Arenas means he probably did not impress.

I am all for getting Sessions. We need youth man.
Give the kid a try see what he can do.

dd24
02-15-2012, 02:57 PM

Not necessarily, I wouldn't think they'd make any moves until after the all-star break anyhow. Remember, they only have one extra roster spot and they are trying to figure out if they are going to need it for a trade or not. I think that has more to do with it than anything.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
02-15-2012, 04:43 PM

huh? i dont understand that. He is not a fg where the lakers can just give him a try and then sign him

Lakers would have to trade for him and his asking price is a 1st rounder. The lakers are trying to get Howard by trading bynum/ 1st round picks.

I hope they keep those 1st rounders and not blow it on sessions. Anything can happen closer to the deadline. his asking price may come down.

TryToBeUnbias
02-15-2012, 04:52 PM
The Lakers are definitely holding out to see how everything pans out. We do know what some of the possible options are but for now we'll have to wait and see.

dd24
02-15-2012, 05:47 PM
I don't see Sessions being worth a 1st rounder necessarily. Since the Lakers have two this year I don't mind giving one up in the Dwight trade but honestly most people don't expect a PG to even be picked in the 1st round until the Lakers pick.... which means the Lakers have their choice of any PG in college.... It also means a much more affordable contract which leaves money for other players. The Lakers could have someone like Marquis Teague, Tony Wroten, Kendall Marshall, or Myck Kabongo. Teague could be a huge pick at around #20 for a team. Let's not forget the last 4 Kentucky PG's to enter the draft (Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans, John Wall, & Brandon Knight). It's kind of a lucky thing for the Lakers this draft is loaded with big men which means a PG is going to fall to LA.

I think we all just have wanted a PG so bad the grass is always greener on the other side. Blake was supposed to be the answer and was the best available for the money a few seasons ago. Look how that has worked out. I don't mind Sessions. He's been decent for other teams. I just don't see giving up a 1st rounder for him. Arenas for the vets minimum for the rest of the season seems like a much better gamble to me. If it doesn't work the Lakers aren't out much and he's gone at the end of the year. The other thing that doesn't make sense to me is why Cleveland would trade him. I know why Sessions wants out.... he wants to start. But from Cleveland's stand point they would still need a back up PG. Irving already went out for a few games with a concussion. What happens if he takes another hit this season? It seems to me they would still need a PG in return. I would highly doubt they would do a Sessions for Blake trade (although I'm sure we'd all go for that in a heart beat) so I'm not sure he even gets traded.

Big_Dogg
02-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Let's not forget the last 4 Kentucky PG's to enter the draft (Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans, John Wall, & Brandon Knight).

WTF, Rose and Evans went to Memphis

dd24
02-15-2012, 08:32 PM
WTF, Rose and Evans went to Memphis

I meant to say Calipari..... dude jumps schools too much :cheers: