PDA

View Full Version : Why is there a separation between Laker and Clipper fans?

Extempo
12-21-2011, 03:24 PM
I think that is the funniest thing ever. You all live in LA. Its not like the Angels (Anaheim) vs Dodgers (LA). Both teams play in the same city, the same arena. Shouldn't you root for both teams? You should all own Kobe, Griffin, CP3, Gasol jerseys. I've wondered the same thing about the Yankees/Mets but at least they don't share an arena. So where does the separation come from? Laker/Clipper fans, please explain the logic behind you guys rooting for one team but not the other.

BGriffin's Dad
12-21-2011, 03:31 PM
Same reason Nets/Knicks fans won't...

or Giants/Jets

Yung D-Will
12-21-2011, 03:31 PM

or Giants/Jets
/Thread

yobore
12-21-2011, 03:32 PM

or Giants/Jets
it's different cuz it's the same arena. wonder if anyone has season tickets to both

rhythmic
12-21-2011, 03:33 PM
If Lakers are eliminated and the Clips are still in the playoffs, you bet your ass I will root for them. There is no jealousy in me; both squads play for my city. I have always been a Laker fans since I was little, because of Magic and Worthy.

Clippers were irrelevant for far too long, sometimes I even forget they play in Los Angeles.

Extempo
12-21-2011, 03:35 PM

or Giants/Jets
Smart-ass missed the part where I said they play in the same arena. The person who agreed is even dumber.

BGriffin's Dad
12-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Smart-ass missed the part where I said they play in the same arena. The person who agreed is even dumber.

Irrelevant where they play in the same city... they're 2 different teams. Are you really wondering why all NBA fans in LA aren't fans of both?

Nash
12-21-2011, 03:39 PM
If this was European soccer there would be some kind of political(left wing or right wing) or geographical(like west or east LA) separation. But in basketball, there is none of that.

senelcoolidge
12-21-2011, 03:41 PM
I didn't understand this either at first. I thought wouldn't they just root for both teams..if one is good you will be happy for the one that is doing better..not mattering which one it was. But LA media is so biased to the lakers. The radio stations bash the Clippers constantly even when they are doing good. I find it sad. That's one reason why I can't stand the lakers. People that are Clipper fans are real fans, they've gone through so much and stay loyal. Unlike the delusional bandwagon laker fans. Clipper fans know basketball, laker fans just talk sh%t.

LA_Showtime
12-21-2011, 03:42 PM
There'd be a rivalry between both squads if the Clippers were ever any good. Now that they've got a chance to be decent I think you'll see more excitement when the two teams face off.

I don't root for the Clippers, but I'll certainly be watching them a lot this season. I suppose I might root for them if the Lakers were to lose in the playoffs. We'll see.

Clippersfan86
12-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Typically I do root for the Lakers when I'm not rooting for the Clippers. More so in the post Shaq era. I do this mainly because I'm from LA and I have friends/family that are Lakers fans. Obviously if these teams develop a serious rivalry/bad blood all bets are off. For now I see no reason why I can't be peaceful with Lakers fans. I have clashes with fake Lakers fans (about 50 percent of Lakers fans) but even the true Lakers fans I'm associated with hate those fans too.

LakersReign
12-21-2011, 03:43 PM
People dip on the Clippers mainly cuz of the way Sterling runs the organization. Too many black employees quit cuz it was said he was openly racist towards them and others who worked for him. He was even quoted using the N word referring to certain players. Pretty easy to hate on them after hearing stuff like that.

rhythmic
12-21-2011, 03:44 PM
There'd be a rivalry between both squads if the Clippers were ever any good. Now that they've got a chance to be decent I think you'll see more excitement when the two teams face off.

I don't root for the Clippers, but I'll certainly be watching them a lot this season. I suppose I might root for them if the Lakers were to lose in the playoffs. We'll see.

My logic is this:
Why not root for a team that has a chance to bring gold to our city? It's a privilege to have two teams play for the same city, IMO. Only time I wouldn't root for the Clips is obviously when they play the Lakers.

DMV2
12-21-2011, 03:44 PM

or Giants/Jets
An even better example: Cubs and White Sox fans.

Los Angeles is less intense than those two cities though in terms of sports rivalry, so you'll get some people who will support both Lakers and Clippers.

I don't think you'll see that with the Chicago and New York crowd.

Kobe681
12-21-2011, 05:06 PM
Personally, I've always just been ashamed and embarrassed that the clippers play in the same city and same arena. They've always been that disgraceful 'other' team that could never get their shit together and put out a respectful product.

That's why I hate them. I always wished they would just go away.

Clippersfan86
12-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Personally, I've always just been ashamed and embarrassed that the clippers play in the same city and same arena. They've always been that disgraceful 'other' team that could never get their shit together and put out a respectful product.

That's why I hate them. I always wished they would just go away.

Careful... it looks like the Clippers may have passed the curse onto the Lakers. You don't need to bring them any more bad karma.

Story Up
12-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Careful... it looks like the Clippers may have passed the curse onto the Lakers. You don't need to bring them any more bad karma.
:facepalm

LA_Showtime
12-21-2011, 05:12 PM

Let's stop putting the cart before the horse.

no pun intended
12-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Because the Lakers occupied Los Angeles first.

Duncan21formvp
12-21-2011, 05:13 PM

or Giants/Jets

You forgot the best examples?

Yankees/Mets
or
White Sox/Cubs

SAKOTXA
12-21-2011, 05:14 PM
A smart man once said, " There is no such thing as a Clipper fan, there are just Laker haters pretending to be Clipper fans."

Kobe681
12-21-2011, 05:15 PM

Lol. Im not worried. My team has a history of knowing what they're doing. We'll be back on top soon. :)

Your team on the other hand LOL.... This 'having a good team' thing is new to them and I KNOW they'll find a way to fukk it up. They're the clippers! Lol

Cali Syndicate
12-21-2011, 05:18 PM

The Jets and Giants both play in MetLife Stadium no?

Clippersfan86
12-21-2011, 05:20 PM
Let's stop putting the cart before the horse.

I was just messing around because a poster (Lakers fan) said that in another thread :oldlol: .

Clippersfan86
12-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Lol. Im not worried. My team has a history of knowing what they're doing. We'll be back on top soon. :)

Your team on the other hand LOL.... This 'having a good team' thing is new to them and I KNOW they'll find a way to fukk it up. They're the clippers! Lol

I'm gonna go with the recent trend of my team. Everybody had all these cliches and things we wouldn't do and we broke all of them. We had the best offseason of any team and we supposedly weren't going to do jack. We also made the blockbuster trade nobody but the Lakers had done.

Eldrunko247
12-21-2011, 05:24 PM
Clipper fans = hipsters /thread

Heavincent
12-21-2011, 05:27 PM

The Giants and Jets play in the same stadium.

Clippersfan86
12-21-2011, 05:29 PM

Don't laugh at me but I didn't know that... :D

DuMa
12-21-2011, 05:33 PM
because people cant stand laker fans. thats the truth.

Clippersfan86
12-21-2011, 05:38 PM
because people cant stand laker fans. thats the truth.

I don't know.... I think 50 percent of the fans are phony and give the rest a bad name. I do know a lot of LEGIT, diehard Lakers fans though that I have learned a lot from and that are great. As I said before.. legit Lakers fans hate their bandwagon counterparts who act a fool as well.

Swaggin916
12-21-2011, 06:42 PM
lakers were the first team in la and the only team i support. they might as well still be the san diego clippers to me. that bein said there is no reason to dislike them because they have been completely irrelevant so i would probably root for them against teams who i dislike but i have no allegiance to them whatsoever. for me the dodgers and angels is different i like them both bt they play in different leagues anyway not like they are in the same division. i would root for the angels probably if it came down to it cus i just like the way they do business. the dodgers should be great every year but a bnch of retards had control of the club. i dont really like baseball that much anyway tho lol... sports teams is like a woman tho... u can have some hos here and there, but u always got yo main ho

Yung D-Will
12-21-2011, 06:52 PM
I was just waiting until he realized that especially considering I witnessed the new stadium being built.

SpecialQue
12-21-2011, 06:53 PM
The people mentioning Lakers haters are pretty spot-on. I know people who just can't stand the Lakers, and they've lived here their entire life. The Clippers are a strange alternative because they rarely win, but they are the ultimate underdog, along with the Chicago Cubs. So if you hate the Lakers but love LA, you root for the Clippers.

Me? I love the Lakers and I'm fascinated by the Clippers. I root for both and don't give a shit if people think that's cheesy or bandwagon or anything else. If they play against each other, I root for the Lakers because that's the team I started watching when I got into the game. If it's somehow the WCF and it's game 7 Lakers vs. Clippers, I root for the Lakers. If the Lakers collapse and fall into a rebuilding phase, and somehow the Clippers become a star-studded major winning force in the NBA...I root for the Lakers.

If it's Clippers vs. any team that's NOT the Lakers? I root for the Clippers.

andgar923
12-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Most REAL Clipper fans I know despise the Lakers for different reasons. But one common thread is their dislike for laker fans.

Laker fans tend to be ignorant, arrogant, obnoxious and bandwagonners.

Do I ever root for the Lakers? NO

NEVER

Also, most Clipper fans seem to have a thing for rooting for the underdog and hoping one day that they'll get to see their team prevail.

BGriffin's Dad
12-21-2011, 06:58 PM
You forgot the best examples?

Yankees/Mets
or
White Sox/Cubs

i neither watch nor care about luckswing

alwaysunny
12-21-2011, 07:00 PM

/thread

schyza
12-21-2011, 07:00 PM
As others have stated the Lakers arrived in LA 24 years before the Clipper which was plenty of time to create a massive fan base

Clippersfan86
12-21-2011, 07:01 PM
[QUOTE=schyza]As others have stated the Lakers arrived in LA 24 years before the Clipper which was plenty of time to create a massive fan base

SpecialQue
12-21-2011, 07:02 PM
Most REAL Clipper fans I know despise the Lakers for different reasons. But one common thread is their dislike for laker fans.

Laker fans tend to be ignorant, arrogant, obnoxious and bandwagonners.

Do I ever root for the Lakers? NO

NEVER

Also, most Clipper fans seem to have a thing for rooting for the underdog and hoping one day that they'll get to see their team prevail.

That's interesting, because that applies more to the Lakers haters I know. I've encountered people who randomly became Celtics/Heat/Mav fans just because they were playing against the Lakers.

I'm not going to lie, there are a TON of retarded Laker fans. Just keep in mind that there are also a ton of retarded Laker haters as well, and both share pretty much the same qualities.

alwaysunny
12-21-2011, 07:07 PM
That's interesting, because that applies more to the Lakers haters I know. I've encountered people who randomly became Celtics/Heat/Mav fans just because they were playing against the Lakers.

I'm not going to lie, there are a TON of retarded Laker fans. Just keep in mind that there are also a ton of retarded Laker haters as well, and both share pretty much the same qualities.

To be fair those homers are the reason haters even exist.

Crown&Coke
I was actually very fond of the clippers from like 97-2003 because I got to see them on TV all the time, Maurice Taylor was my favorite player for some reason, I think because he signed my rookie card of him in his Michigan days my very first ever bball game, he waived me through when the security was stopping me. Alvin Gentry was the coach and all they did was run and lob, LO was the 6'10" pg, it was fun to watch

I only regret the Clips having an owner who is known to be a less than good person.

But I was also very fond of the Spurs team, they played the right way.

But don't mean Im going to be a fan of all them, I like their play but the Lakers will forever be my team.

Yung D-Will

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ZJmtsr6Ia3k/TZTj1T8IW-I/AAAAAAAABfU/zwjBCD-R2LE/idol-07-winner-truth-ucs%5B11%5D.gif

Yung D-Will
12-21-2011, 07:09 PM
To be fair those homers are the reason haters even exist.
In this case it might be the other way around though. Because Kobe was very critizised after the whole Shaq indecent and his fanbase was just waiting to explode once he finally won a ring on his own.

schyza
12-21-2011, 07:12 PM
:no:

That is a compelling argument…Really there is no denying that 24 years for a perennial contender to build a fan base is not going to be taken over by a team that has rarely been relevant PERIOD. As for the Clipper fans = Hipsters that is kind of tongue and cheek they to me just like rooting for the underdog which is fine. But to act like there any less delusional or suffer from homerisim any less then Laker fans is just lying to themselves. (That goes for fans of all teams bash Laker fans all you want but there are nuts in every fan base…TRUTH):D

TryToBeUnbias
12-21-2011, 07:26 PM
I don't have a problem with clippers or there fans for that matter. Ive watched the clippers when I could over the years, never stopped. I try to support LA teams but the Lakers are my team if the clippers went deep into the playoffs I'd support to a degree.

SkyR#1fanCapCou
12-21-2011, 07:45 PM
If this was European soccer there would be some kind of political(left wing or right wing) or geographical(like west or east LA) separation. But in basketball, there is none of that.

Or, as it's being pointed out already in this thread, the rich/powerful/evil empire vs the underdog.

Doctor Rivers
04-27-2014, 01:05 PM
People dip on the Clippers mainly cuz of the way Sterling runs the organization. Too many black employees quit cuz it was said he was openly racist towards them and others who worked for him. He was even quoted using the N word referring to certain players. Pretty easy to hate on them after hearing stuff like that.

:eek:

AnaheimLakers24
04-27-2014, 02:13 PM
one team supports racism, the other supports winning

Brokenbeat
04-27-2014, 02:40 PM
:eek:

Everybody in LA already knew this about him. Clipper fans just didn't care, or didn't know any better (because they're recent bandwagoners).

What hasn't been mentioned is that most Clipper fans are from Orange County. They don't have their own team, and they hate LA, so they've latched onto the Clippers for whatever reason. A majority of OC just happens to be notoriously racist too.

http://media.ocweekly.com/african-american-black-orange-county.8836134.87.jpg

http://www.ocweekly.com/2013-05-30/news/african-american-black-orange-county/full/

Nick Young
04-27-2014, 02:45 PM
clippers fans are all bandwagoners or losers. Remember Olawakandi?:roll:

Nick Young
04-27-2014, 02:54 PM
Everybody in LA already knew this about him. Clipper fans just didn't care, or didn't know any better (because they're recent bandwagoners).

What hasn't been mentioned is that most Clipper fans are from Orange County. They don't have their own team, and they hate LA, so they've latched onto the Clippers for whatever reason. A majority of OC just happens to be notoriously racist too.

http://media.ocweekly.com/african-american-black-orange-county.8836134.87.jpg

http://www.ocweekly.com/2013-05-30/news/african-american-black-orange-county/full/
F*ck Orange County. F*ck the Angels!

BasedTom
04-27-2014, 02:56 PM
one team supports racism, the other supports winning
The Lakers support racism now? What makes you say that?

TheMarkMadsen
04-27-2014, 02:57 PM
Because for years there was no real vocal clipper fan base.

Then they make the playoffs and the lakers have some down years and we got a bunch of non loyal hipster laker fans posing as clipper fans.

Plus clipper fans are always premature to say they are the best team in the city.. They have the nerve to say shit like that when they were a lottery team for the entire decade while we collected more chips than any other franchise since 2000

Once your team has more playoff appearances than Kobe & Magic have rings then talk :roll:

I'm pretty sure Kobe has more rings than their entire franchise has playoff appearances..and if not its pretty close.

Plus after the Cp3 fiasco they can suck a fat juicy hard boiled egg

wakencdukest
04-27-2014, 03:15 PM
I don't think there really is a lot of seperation between the two in Southern California. I don't know one person in real life that is a Clipper fan only, I only see that on ISH. Everyone I know is ok with the Clippers, but they have just been such a poorly run team for so long, no one has really taken them seriously. Now that they are doing well most Laker fans I know are supporting them now that the Lakers aren't in the playoffs. From what I see on ISH, clipper fans are much more hostile towards the Lakers, there's very few of them that have anything good to say about the Lakers. Whatever, I'll still root for the Clips to go all the way if my team is out of it.

Laker4Lyfe
04-27-2014, 03:30 PM
I don't think there really is a lot of seperation between the two in Southern California. I don't know one person in real life that is a Clipper fan only, I only see that on ISH. Everyone I know is ok with the Clippers, but they have just been such a poorly run team for so long, no one has really taken them seriously. Now that they are doing well most Laker fans I know are supporting them now that the Lakers aren't in the playoffs. From what I see on ISH, clipper fans are much more hostile towards the Lakers, there's very few of them that have anything good to say about the Lakers. Whatever, I'll still root for the Clips to go all the way if my team is out of it.

:cheers: