PDA

View Full Version : Brook Lopez out 6-8 weeks.

niko
12-22-2011, 02:41 PM
New Jersey Nets center Brook Lopez has been diagnosed with a stress fracture of the fifth metatarsal of the right foot, Nets General Manager Billy King announced today.

The injury occurred during the Nets preseason contest at New York on December 21.

Lopez will undergo surgery on Friday, December 23.

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/#ixzz1hIWWWOeT

D12"Magic"
12-22-2011, 02:41 PM
The Nets have just announced that Brook Lopez has a fracture in his fifth metatarsal in his right foot. Will have surgery Friday. The surgery will end Lopez's 246 consecutive game streak, fourth longest in the NBA and more importantly leave the Nets with Johan Petro and Shelden Williams at center

Netsdaily.com

Really? Well that just sucks

niko
12-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Netsdaily.com

Really? Well that just sucks
Yeah, sorry dude. Injuries heal though and people come back and kick ass. Just need to be patient.

Droid101
12-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Already Posted. This Thread Is Now A Place To Say How Much You Hate The Lakers.
Lakers! I hate them 10%.

WeGetRing2012
12-22-2011, 02:44 PM
But but he's healthier than Bynum :lol

Clutch
Already Posted. This Thread Is Now A Place To Say How Much You Hate The Lakers.
:lol

Droid101
Yeah, sorry dude. Injuries heal though and people come back and kick ass. Just need to be patient.
Problem is, he wasn't really kicking too much ass before the surgery.

D12"Magic"
Yeah, though Lopez was critical for us. He was one of our main options after Deron.
Though its a decent thing Otis said he does not plan on trading Howard soon.

kidachi
12-22-2011, 02:45 PM
I could hear Mark Jackson saying "Momma, there goes that trade for Dwight Howard"

D12"Magic"
12-22-2011, 02:45 PM
But but he's healthier than Bynum :lol
He still, is.

Clutch
12-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Really bad news for the Nets.

WeGetRing2012
Problem is, he wasn't really kicking too much ass before the surgery.

Lol :oldlol:

JohnnyWall
Couldn't even trade him for Bynum now, much less Dwight.

Basketbolero
Any word on how long he is expected to be sidelined?

christian1923
12-22-2011, 02:48 PM
dang that might mean no D12 and might mean derons is gonee!! yikesss

D12"Magic"
12-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Any word on how long he is expected to be sidelined?
Based on many previous injuries that are like his, could be 2-3 months due to surgery.

By the way this totally blows.

themurph
12-22-2011, 02:52 PM
This basically destroys the Nets chances to land Howard...

D. Wills is out of there....

bagelred
12-22-2011, 02:52 PM
"Nyet.......NYET..........NYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ET!!!!!!!!"

niko
12-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Whether he could be traded or not depends on how quick he returns. He needs to be back and playing enough to show that he is healthy.

B
12-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Yeah, though Lopez was critical for us. He was one of our main options after Deron.
Though its a decent thing Otis said he does not plan on trading Howard soon.All that's changed now. Magic can no longer play Nets against Lakers. Price for Howard just became cheaper with one of the bidders out of the running. Now it's how bad do the Lakers want Howard and how bad do the Magic want to see something in return for Howard. The longer they wait the cheaper he becomes unless they are willing to gamble on resigning him in the summer

R.I.P.
12-22-2011, 02:54 PM
I could hear Mark Jackson saying "Momma, there goes that trade for Dwight Howard"

:roll: :roll:

Mark Cuban and Jerry Buss any comments?

:banana: :banana:

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
12-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Based on many previous injuries that are like his could be 2-3 months due to surgery.

so that means he is gone all regular season minus april month...hmm

no wonder what is Deron Williams going to do

Otis will get killed if he trades for an injured player(Same with Bynum scenario)

maybe dallas got lucky...who knows

guy
12-22-2011, 02:56 PM
so that means he is gone all regular season minus april month...hmm

no wonder what is Deron Williams going to do

Otis will get killed if he trades for an injured player(Same with Bynum scenario)

maybe dallas got lucky...who knows

He won't get as killed if he trades for Bynum right now + Gasol.

rufuspaul
12-22-2011, 02:56 PM
"Nyet.......NYET..........NYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ET!!!!!!!!"

:lol

Nets fan 93
12-22-2011, 02:57 PM
This is the worst news a nets fan could ever see. Wow.

pegasus
I feel your pain Nets fans. That really sucks.

The good news is he should be back before the trade deadline (March 15th), but it still drastically lowers you chances of landing Howard. Bynum + fillers may be the best offer Otis will get.

niko
it's a stress fracture, that's not good. It's better if it's a fracture fracture, that you stepped wrong and SNAP. A stress fracture means it's weight bearing. Who knows though, sometimes the initial news is people rushing to report.

Basketbolero
12-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Based on many previous injuries that are like his, could be 2-3 months due to surgery.

:cheers: Thanks man. Terrible new for Nets fans.

JohnnyWall
12-22-2011, 03:00 PM

:lol We weren't willing to give up both for Howard before. We sure won't now, with the Nets being all but out of the running.

D12"Magic"
This is the worst news a nets fan could ever see. Wow.
:cry: :violin:

MichaelCheazley
it's a stress fracture, that's not good. It's better if it's a fracture fracture, that you stepped wrong and SNAP. A stress fracture means it's weight bearing. Who knows though, sometimes the initial news is people rushing to report.
It should only be 2 months ish at most i think. Thats from people I knew who had similar fractures though.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan

lol keep dreaming that he will get both Bynum + Gasol...

specially after this news

niko
12-22-2011, 03:02 PM
It should only be 2 months ish at most i think. Thats from people I knew who had similar fractures though.
Were they the size of a small house? It's not positive. I will give the nets fans a positive thought though. Who says the Magic have to trade Howard? If they don't (for some reason), he's yours. No doubt.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan

its upto 2-3 months....and its the same as the mavs guard had last season Rodrigue Beaubois

hope he comes back healthy. He has to take his time....this is not a sprained wrist or ankle....this injury is caused by strain of his weight...

D12"Magic"
:cheers: Thanks man. Terrible new for Nets fans.
Im no Medical Doctor but based off those injuries could be during that time.

WeGetRing2012
12-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Lakers should just shift their focus to Deron Wiliams. Trade away Gasol to free up cap space and then sign deron in the summer because he's def gonna leave.

Nets fan 93
12-22-2011, 03:04 PM

Magic are still most likely waiting for the deadline

D12"Magic"
12-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Magic are still most likely waiting for the deadline
This, also Netsfan did you hear about Otis thinking about letting Howard walk and try to pursue Lopez during the FA?
Don't know why he would think that.

IGOTGAME
12-22-2011, 03:07 PM

It is probably gonna be Bynum + filler for Dwight and Hedo. I just hope we can keep Ebanks out of the trade.

It is gonna be hard letting go of Bynum but a Gasol/D12 frontcourt is gonna be crazy.

Fisher
Kobe
Hedo
Pau
D12

Nets fan 93
12-22-2011, 03:08 PM
This, also Netsfan did you hear about Otis thinking about letting Howard walk and try to pursue Lopez during the FA?
Don't know why he would think that.
I don't believe that. Wouldn't he rather have lopez for 5 Years with 5 picks?

D12"Magic"
12-22-2011, 03:09 PM
I don't believe that. Wouldn't he rather have lopez for 5 Years with 5 picks?
Yea, I have a hard time believing that also, would be idiotic.

Also, heres this.

Al_Iannazzone Al Iannazzone
Lopez likely will miss 4-6 weeks, which still gives the #Nets time to trade him to Orlando if they wait until March to move Dwight.

[QUOTE]KBergCBS Ken Berger
#Nets

bagelred
12-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Here's what's going to happen.....Brook is going to make a miraculous recovery and be on the court by next week, shocking all the doctors........Trade talks will resume with the Magic and the big Howard trade will take place in 2 weeks.

Meanwhile, Robin will be mysteriously absent from Phoenix indefinitely with "flu like symptons."

Basketbolero
12-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Doubt it. A stress fracture that does not require surgery is normally around 6 weeks, I had one (I am 6'1 175lb) and took me 7 weeks to heal. The guys is huge and his fracture is much worse so I can see him missing 3 months. I hope I am wrong though but stress fractures are bitches, you play on them and may end up getting a chronical one.

I can't remember how long Gasol missed 3-4 years ago when he had a similar one, that would be a good indicator.

JohnnyWall
It is probably gonna be Bynum + filler for Dwight and Hedo. I just hope we can keep Ebanks out of the trade.

It is gonna be hard letting go of Bynum but a Gasol/D12 frontcourt is gonna be crazy.

Fisher
Kobe
Hedo
Pau
D12

We should use that TPE on Jameer and at least get back a PG that isn't old. Hedo's contract is too big.

Bynum for Howard and Jameer

Nelson / Kobe / Barnes or Artest / Gasol / Howard

Clutch
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
The Nets believe Brook Lopez can return from foot surgery by early February, league sources tell Y! Sports. Trade deadline is March 15th.
1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

pegasus
12-22-2011, 03:11 PM
Here's what's going to happen.....Brook is going to make a miraculous recovery and be on the court by next week, shocking all the doctors........Trade talks will resume with the Magic and the big Howard trade will take place in 2 weeks.

Meanwhile, Robin will be mysteriously absent from Phoenix indefinitely with "flu like symptons."

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Blue&Orange
12-22-2011, 03:11 PM
Breaking News!!
Mikhail Prokhorov puts Nets for sale!

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/id/7380238/Prokhorov-to-sell-nets (http://piv.pivpiv.dk/)

Nets fan 93
12-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Breaking News!!
Mikhail Prokhorov puts Nets for sale!

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/id/7380238/Prokhorov-to-sell-nets (http://piv.pivpiv.dk/)
You are an ass. I almost died. -_-
That is awesome news if only a month. Hope for the best.

niko
12-22-2011, 03:17 PM
I would doubt they are trading for him. They didn't see enamored with him beforehand and a stress fracture (foot) on a center is a difficult sell. Think of centers who had these type of things before. I think the Nets chance is FA. If Bynum (Injury) scares them off (because Lakers won't throw in Gasol) and now Lopez is hurt too, there is a chance they say "**** it" and either don't trade it, or send him for a rental.

(Note: I think Lakers can do it IF they throw in Gasol, because it seems Otis Smith is more worried about looknig like he got a lot than his team being in better position after the trade).

I give Net fans another one, maybe Lopez sucks all year. Deron ready to say "adios". AND THEN, you get the first pick. :D

Who knows? I just doubt Lopez's trade value now.

niko
12-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Can i ask in all seriousness who is the final voice on the Nets? I can't imagine Prokorov is thinking day to day on the Nets. He's running for president in russia. THe last person who ran against Putin? Mysteriously, he was found to have commited financial crimes as he run from years prior. Went to jail. Also a biliionaire.

Do you have a president of Basketball? Does Billy have most of the power? I'm just curious. Prokorov is going up against Putin, that is heavy duty shit.

D12"Magic"
Robin Lopes missed 7 weeks with this same injury

IGOTGAME
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
The Nets believe Brook Lopez can return from foot surgery by early February, league sources tell Y! Sports. Trade deadline is March 15th.
1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Ha, there is no way I let some team rush me back to trade me. Brook needs to take his time and understand that it is HIS career and HIS health.

themurph
I don't know why people are making it a point to say that Lopez will be back before the trade deadline...Orlando is not trading away their MVP caliber center for a very able center coming off of a foot surgery...It just won't happen...

All of the Net's leverage is gone...And if you can't make a game changing trade, why would D. Williams re-sign with the Nets? Him staying was all attached to D12 coming....

So what's next?...U have to trade D. Williams and get some value for him....If I'm the Nets I'm on the phone RIGHT NOW with OKC...Maybe a swap for Westbrook? OKC would get their pass first PG and Brooklyn would get a budding star to build around...

Meanwhile, the Lakers have suddenly gained more leverage...They no longer have to trade both Gasol and Bynum...

It's crazy...

Blue&Orange
12-22-2011, 03:21 PM
:pimp: You were pimp-trolled

And i was negged:cry: Why?

Nets fan 93
12-22-2011, 03:22 PM
I would doubt they are trading for him. They didn't see enamored with him beforehand and a stress fracture (foot) on a center is a difficult sell. Think of centers who had these type of things before. I think the Nets chance is FA. If Bynum (Injury) scares them off (because Lakers won't throw in Gasol) and now Lopez is hurt too, there is a chance they say "**** it" and either don't trade it, or send him for a rental.

(Note: I think Lakers can do it IF they throw in Gasol, because it seems Otis Smith is more worried about looknig like he got a lot than his team being in better position after the trade).

I give Net fans another one, maybe Lopez sucks all year. Deron ready to say "adios". AND THEN, you get the first pick. :D

Who knows? I just doubt Lopez's trade value now.
1 injury in his whole career scares off the injury? Bynum at least has an injury history. He tore his acl in high school as well. Injured a lot the last couple of season. Odom had a huge season last year since Bynum was out so many games. Lopez value doesnt drop as much as you think. Plus 3rd teams are always welcome by Billy King.

niko
12-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Robin Lopes missed 7 weeks with this same injury
His caveman brother.

JohnnyWall
I don't know why people are making it a point to say that Lopez will be back before the trade deadline...Orlando is not trading away their MVP caliber center for a very able center coming off of a foot surgery...It just won't happen...

All of the Net's leverage is gone...And if you can't make a game changing trade, why would D. Williams re-sign with the Nets? Him staying was all attached to D12 coming....

So what's next?...U have to trade D. Williams and get some value for him....If I'm the Nets I'm on the phone RIGHT NOW with OKC...Maybe a swap for Westbrook? OKC would get their pass first PG and Brooklyn would get a budding star to build around...

Meanwhile, the Lakers have suddenly gained more leverage...They no longer have to trade both Gasol and Bynum...

It's crazy...

Bynum for Deron

Nets fan 93
:pimp: You were pimp-trolled

And i was negged:cry: Why?
Not from me. I'm on my phone.

D12"Magic"
12-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Bynum for Deron
That makes a lot of sense.

Clutch
johnhollinger John Hollinger
There's a better chance of a white-bearded guy with reindeer sliding down my chimney Sunday than Brook Lopez being back in 4 weeks.
30 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

bagelred
.And if you can't make a game changing trade, why would D. Williams re-sign with the Nets? Him staying was all attached to D12 coming....

Not necessarily. Where do you think DWill is going? Knicks, Lakers, Heat, Thunder, Blazers and Bulls don't have the cap space for him. Celtics and Clippers have a PG. So the only viable big market franchise, seems to me, is Dallas.

So right now its really either Dallas or Brooklyn. I'd say Nets still have a good shot to keep him.

niko
12-22-2011, 03:25 PM
1 injury in his whole career scares off the injury? Bynum at least has an injury history. He tore his acl in high school as well. Injured a lot the last couple of season. Odom had a huge season last year since Bynum was out so many games. Lopez value doesnt drop as much as you think. Plus 3rd teams are always welcome by Billy King.
Teams don't make big trade historically for players coming off injury. Is is possible? Yes. Is it likely? No. If you are changing the parameters and say send him to a third team, etc. then sure. I'm talking the deal as it was reported. (Yes i know Bynum was injured but it wasn't yesterday. Is that fair? NO. BUt historically, it makes a difference.)

Of course nets could get creative, etc. There are a million scenarios. But the thought Lopez pre injury and post injury have identical value is false.

Note: The Nets (this is not aimed at you btw) do not have to trade Deron now. THat's a retarded thought.

guy
:lol We weren't willing to give up both for Howard before. We sure won't now, with the Nets being all but out of the running.

Bynum's injury prone and will always be. I wouldn't be surprised if his career ends or declines sooner rather then later. He's not nearly as valuable as people make him out to be. If I'm Orlando, I'd rather let Howard leave for nothing then just get Bynum back. He can't leave for the Lakers without a trade anyway.

It really wouldn't surprise me at all if Gasol has just as many or more years left in his career as Bynum.

Nets fan 93
Can i ask in all seriousness who is the final voice on the Nets? I can't imagine Prokorov is thinking day to day on the Nets. He's running for president in russia. THe last person who ran against Putin? Mysteriously, he was found to have commited financial crimes as he run from years prior. Went to jail. Also a biliionaire.

Do you have a president of Basketball? Does Billy have most of the power? I'm just curious. Prokorov is going up against Putin, that is heavy duty shit.
Prohorov is the one that walked away from the Carmelo Anthony drama last January. Billy does all the work. I'm not too too sure to be honest though.

bagelred
12-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Bynum for Deron

You know, if Nets truly feel they are in trouble of losing out, they many have to think outside the box and make a move like this.

niko
12-22-2011, 03:28 PM
That makes a lot of sense.
Where's the white text that says "you're a retard"?

D12"Magic"
12-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Where's the white text that says "you're a retard"?
DAMN!! TOTALLY FORGOT! LOL

Nets fan 93
12-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Teams don't make big trade historically for players coming off injury. Is is possible? Yes. Is it likely? No. If you are changing the parameters and say send him to a third team, etc. then sure. I'm talking the deal as it was reported. (Yes i know Bynum was injured but it wasn't yesterday. Is that fair? NO. BUt historically, it makes a difference.)

Of course nets could get creative, etc. There are a million scenarios. But the thought Lopez pre injury and post injury have identical value is false.

Note: The Nets (this is not aimed at you btw) do not have to trade Deron now. THat's a retarded thought.
With the amount Bynum is out. Wouldn't surprise me if he is out before the deadline at some point as well. And again 1st injury of his career. I dont think that's scares anyone as much as you want to think it does.

themurph
12-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Bynum for Deron

Nets wouldn't do that....They have to replace their perimeter guy with another perimeter guy...Trading for a injury prone big would be a mistake...

R.I.P.
Ha, there is no way I let some team rush me back to trade me. Brook needs to take his time and understand that it is HIS career and HIS health.

Agreed. These guys would throw him under the bus and drive back and forth to get Dwight. 44 minutes in a pre-season game, next game he breaks his foot.

I wouldn

niko
Prohorov is the one that walked away from the Carmelo Anthony drama last January. Billy does all the work. I'm not too too sure to be honest though.
Have you ever read his history? (Prokorov) He is a bad ****ing dude. (I say that in admiration, not to make fun.) When the government was literally sending troops to take companies, he kept his. And grew it. He's a millionaire playboy / gang leader / political figure. He has things in his biography that are shrouded in mystery.

bagelred
12-22-2011, 03:31 PM
With the amount Bynum is out. Wouldn't surprise me if he is out before the deadline at some point as well. And again 1st injury of his career. I dont think that's scares anyone as much as you want to think it does.

True that. Watch....I bet Bynum doesn't even start the season this year......he'll miss a handful of games, mark my words.

Nets fan 93
12-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Have you ever read his history? (Prokorov) He is a bad ****ing dude. (I say that in admiration, not to make fun.) When the government was literally sending troops to take companies, he kept his. And grew it. He's a millionaire playboy / gang leader / political figure. He has things in his biography that are shrouded in mystery.
I Don't pay too much attention to his shady life. I just know he is super rich and wants to win very soon.(basketball wise)

JohnnyWall
12-22-2011, 03:33 PM

The relative value of Lopez in a D12 trade was basically a healthy Lopez = an Injured Bynum (plus the Hedo+picks factored).

A healthy Bynum > a healthy Lopez
A healthy Bynum >>> an injured Lopez

Bynum's looking healthy and dominant, Lopez injured. Two big obstacles for the Nets to get Dwight.

Droid101
12-22-2011, 03:36 PM
Pau Gasol broke same bone in '06, missed 3 months and has been fine since.

niko
12-22-2011, 03:38 PM
I Don't pay too much attention to his shady life. I just know he is super rich and wants to win very soon.(basketball wise)
i admire him. He's trying to rescue democracy in Russia. It's not getting a lot of play but think about that. That's not a small thing for a lot of people.

Joshumitsu
12-22-2011, 03:38 PM
Damn, all of our generation's big men are getting injured.

IGOTGAME
12-22-2011, 03:39 PM
Pau Gasol broke same bone in '06, missed 3 months and has been fine since.

Contrast to other centers with foot problems...i.e. Bill Walton and Big Z. And if He takes the normal 3 months to recover he will likely miss the trade deadline. Chances of this trade going through are slight imo.

Droid101
12-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Contrast to other centers with foot problems...i.e. Bill Walton and Big Z. And if He takes the normal 3 months to recover he will likely miss the trade deadline. Chances of this trade going through are slight imo.
Oh, I'm not commenting on the trade. I'm just saying, I think Brook is going to be fine in the long run.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
Zach Lowe:

Quote:
Doctor from Kerlan-Jobe Institute in LA tells me Lopez' injury typically takes 3-4 months before player can return.

D12"Magic"
Robin Lopez had the exact same injury and missed 7 weeks.

R.I.P.

It's crazy...

I don

NoGunzJustSkillz
12-22-2011, 03:43 PM

It's crazy...
nice

JohnnyWall
12-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Robin Lopez had the exact same injury and missed 7 weeks.

Want some action on that? Over/under 7 weeks?

I'll put $100 on over.

themurph
12-22-2011, 03:45 PM

How is it retarded? D. Wils was only going to stay in NJ/BK if they were able to make a huge deal to pair him up with a superstar (i.e. D12)...So now your biggest trading chip (Lopez) is out with an injury...And we both know that teams rarely trade for players coming off injuries when the trade involves a player of Howard's caliber...

Add the fact that Williams can leave the Nets next season high and dry without any compensation and you have trouble...

If you can, you have to get something for Williams....Now...Because he's not re-signing with the Nets without getting a D. Howard type player to play alongside with...

That's NOW the sobering reality of it all...

D12"Magic"
12-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Want some action on that? Over/under 7 weeks?

I'll put $100 on over.
Im not saying that's when he is gonna return, just stated previous injuries.
And why the hell would I trust a guy like you?

niko
Nets need to be careful on this. A short time frame for his rehab could lead to him getting reinjured, and if you have a repeat of injuries like this, for a big man, it could be career threatening. Lopez, no matter how good you think he is, is a promising big man. Bringing him back (rushing) in order to showcase him for a Howard trade could work out very badly for them. I like what NetsFan93 said, get creative, flip him somehwere that doesn't care as much, get assets like that. The thought he comes back from this in a record short time to showcase himself for a trade is not a good look.

Basketbolero
You can tell guys are starving for off-season action because any type of news is followed by a gazillion of trade scenarios :oldlol:

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
12-22-2011, 03:49 PM
[QUOTE=R.I.P.]I don

themurph
12-22-2011, 03:50 PM
[QUOTE=R.I.P.]I don

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
12-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Nets need to be careful on this. A short time frame for his rehab could lead to him getting reinjured, and if you have a repeat of injuries like this, for a big man, it could be career threatening. Lopez, no matter how good you think he is, is a promising big man. Bringing him back (rushing) in order to showcase him for a Howard trade could work out very badly for them. I like what NetsFan93 said, get creative, flip him somehwere that doesn't care as much, get assets like that. The thought he comes back from this in a record short time to showcase himself for a trade is not a good look.

I honestly think....NETS dont care of Lopez...and bringing him back quickly...they will bring him back...showcase him like in preseason game and try to trade him ASAP for D12

All Net
12-22-2011, 03:51 PM
No dwight then...

ihatetimthomas
12-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Bynum's injury prone and will always be. I wouldn't be surprised if his career ends or declines sooner rather then later. He's not nearly as valuable as people make him out to be. If I'm Orlando, I'd rather let Howard leave for nothing then just get Bynum back. He can't leave for the Lakers without a trade anyway.

It really wouldn't surprise me at all if Gasol has just as many or more years left in his career as Bynum.

So you would rather get nothing for Dwight? Bynum's contract is basically one year bc its a team option next year. Man, you would make a terrible gm lol

GatorKid117
12-22-2011, 03:56 PM
@Fake_Prokhorov
Please do not tell Magic of devastate injury to Brook Lopez. I am still try for trade.

R.I.P.
12-22-2011, 04:11 PM
I'm talking about trading for D. Howard....You coming up with crazy what-ifs...lol

Bottom line...Lakers now look to be Orlando's best option because of Lopez' injury....

Yeah I do, too.

Dallas trades Chris Bosh, Josh Smith and OJ Mayo to Orlando for Dwight Howard.

People act like Dallas can

Nets fan 93
12-22-2011, 04:12 PM
I honestly think....NETS dont care of Lopez...and bringing him back quickly...they will bring him back...showcase him like in preseason game and try to trade him ASAP for D12
Exactly. It's been Dwight or bust since they declined nene. You all can factor in a decent pick too..

niko
12-22-2011, 04:12 PM
[QUOTE=R.I.P.]Yeah I do, too.

niko
12-22-2011, 04:13 PM
Exactly. It's been Dwight or bust since they declined nene. You all can factor in a decent pick too..
That will work out great if he comes back, rebreaks the foot because they rush him, and they lose him and Dwight.

He's a serious asset. How many teams have real centers? Like five? And the KNicks have a center but he's a defensive anchor, not a two way player. It would be a shame if his career is hurt to facilitate the possiblity of a trade.

It's A VC3!!!
12-22-2011, 04:14 PM
This is terrible news. Otis Smith is clueless, he needs to resign. Does he seriously think the Magic will win? They lost in the first round last season, just trade Dwight now. Dwight Howard is going to leave one way or another regardless, might as well get the new players a full season with their teams rather then try to make a trade at the deadline, and shove players into a new system half-season. I enjoy watching Lopez, he is a good player, his rebounding was very good too, with limited minutes these 2 preseason games. Now it sucks to see him injured.

Kiddlovesnets
12-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Wow Brook Lopez, wow...

Guess we will have to be alot more realistic at this point. Tanking for a lottery pick may be a good idea, with #1 pick in our hands there is a chance Deron will stay. I seriously do not know what will happen to Dwight though, theres a chance hes not getting traded and become free agent next year. If so, the Nets can sign him as FA, but again I am not quite counting on that.

If the worst came to worst, we would not be able to have either Dwight or Deron next season, and the #1 pick may be gone too. Should this happen, we'd just blow up this squad and rebuild completely. Brook Lopez may stay, but the offer will be about 4 yrs 25M maximum(with the last year being team's option). If he asks more than that then we'd just let him go. I am not afraid of rebuilding though, every team does that when they have to.

IGOTGAME
12-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Wow Brook Lopez, wow...

Guess we will have to be alot more realistic at this point. Tanking for a lottery pick may be a good idea, with #1 pick in our hands there is a chance Deron will stay. I seriously do not know what will happen to Dwight though, theres a chance hes not getting traded and become free agent next year. If so, the Nets can sign him as FA, but again I am not quite counting on that.

If the worst came to worst, we would not be able to have either Dwight or Deron next season, and the #1 pick may be gone too. Should this happen, we'd just blow up this squad and rebuild completely. Brook Lopez may stay, but the offer will be about 4 yrs 25M maximum(with the last year being team's option). If he asks more than that then we'd just let him go. I am not afraid of rebuilding though, every team does that when they have to.

that is absurd. that is an insult to even bring that to Lopez. 6 mill a year???

themurph
12-22-2011, 04:20 PM
[QUOTE=R.I.P.]Yeah I do, too.

Kiddlovesnets
12-22-2011, 04:21 PM

Dont get me started on how he chickened out last season with an amazingly outstanding 6 rebounds per game...
:facepalm

It's A VC3!!!
12-22-2011, 04:23 PM

Haha lol, yeah, Lopez is a 20/10 guy in his prime in my opinion. He will need 12-15 mil a year after his contract expires this season

Edit: He did have 6 rebounds last season, but during these two preseason games (granted it's preseason so take it with a grain of salt) he averaged 10 rebounds a game in limited time. He obviously can't do any worse then 6 rebounds, and he can definitely average 3-5 more rebounds.

IGOTGAME
12-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Dont get me started on how he chickened out last season with an amazingly outstanding 6rpg per game...

don't get me started on how D. Jordan got 12 mill and put up 7 and 7.

Kiddlovesnets
12-22-2011, 04:27 PM
don't get me started on how D. Jordan got 12 mill and put up 7 and 7.

Well the Clippers want to win now in order to keep CP3 and Griffin stay, they have to do whatever it takes to accomplish this task. If Deron walks away and Dwight plays somewhere else, we will be in complete rebuilding mode. Offering someone like Brook Lopez 12M+ per year helps nothing but adds huge burdensome contract for us. Of course if we have the #1 pick and Deron is staying, we may as well offer Brook to a much better contract since he will be more needed on a team that has to start winning some games.

guy
12-22-2011, 05:07 PM
So you would rather get nothing for Dwight? Bynum's contract is basically one year bc its a team option next year. Man, you would make a terrible gm lol

Let me rephrase that cause I didn't mean it like that. I would take the risk of losing Howard for nothing by demanding both Gasol and Bynum in return and accepting nothing less. I wouldn't budge at all from that stance, because unlike the Knicks/Nuggets/Melo situation, the Lakers do not have the capspace to outright sign Howard in the summer. The only way the Lakers can obtain Howard is if Orlando help get him there.

DuMa
12-22-2011, 05:09 PM
i feel bad for these big men who get injured time and time again with foot problems. i guess its better than knee problems?

IGOTGAME
12-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Let me rephrase that cause I didn't mean it like that. I would take the risk of losing Howard for nothing by demanding both Gasol and Bynum in return and accepting nothing less. I wouldn't budge at all from that stance, because unlike the Knicks/Nuggets/Melo situation, the Lakers do not have the capspace to outright sign Howard in the summer. The only way the Lakers can obtain Howard is if Orlando help get him there.

then they just wouldn't get Howard. They would find another way to compete for championships. The only person Orlando would be screwing over is themselves. Bynum will still be a valuable trade asset, they just won't get D12 in return.

pegasus
12-22-2011, 05:14 PM
i feel bad for these big men who get injured time and time again with foot problems. i guess its better than knee problems?

It's a sign that their feet just cannot carry their body weights. In Lopez's case, he cannot even afford to lose any weight, being thin as it is.

This is his first injury though, so there's no reason to be pessimistic yet.

Batz
12-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Looks like Bulls and Lakers are frontrunners now.

Kujo
12-22-2011, 05:29 PM
Damn. It's going to be a long season for the Net's. Get well Brook. I hope this isn't the start of Yao Ming like foot problems.

WeGetRing2012
12-22-2011, 05:33 PM

I don't think Orl front office is focusing on how to screw the Lakers over. And the Lakers can just trade away Gasol & Bynum for expirers if they really wanted to make a push for Free agents.

guy
12-22-2011, 05:34 PM
then they just wouldn't get Howard. They would find another way to compete for championships. The only person Orlando would be screwing over is themselves. Bynum will still be a valuable trade asset, they just won't get D12 in return.

In the end its about who budges first. The reward of getting both Gasol and Bynum by not budging outweighs the risk in not getting Bynum at all. Bynum is just not that valuable IMO. In the end, someone would have to budge because LA isn't getting Howard any other way.

guy
12-22-2011, 05:45 PM
I don't think Orl front office is focusing on how to screw the Lakers over. And the Lakers can just trade away Gasol & Bynum for expirers if they really wanted to make a push for Free agents.

How is that screwing the Lakers over? Its about leverage and the fact that Bynum is being way overvalued here.

And huh? If they are going to trade Gasol & Bynum away for expirers, they could just trade him for Howard. What sense does that make? They could trade for him and avoid a bidding war with the Nets and Mavs.

WeGetRing2012
12-22-2011, 07:18 PM
How is that screwing the Lakers over? Its about leverage and the fact that Bynum is being way overvalued here.

And huh? If they are going to trade Gasol & Bynum away for expirers, they could just trade him for Howard. What sense does that make? They could trade for him and avoid a bidding war with the Nets and Mavs.

You're tryna make it sound like the only way the Lakers can get Howard is through a trade with the Magic. And that's not true Lakers aren't giving up Bynum & Gasol to get him. And trading away Gasol & Bynum frees up enough cap space to sign Howard and other free agents too.

miles berg
12-22-2011, 07:26 PM
You guys just need to get used to the fact that 8 months from now Deron Williams, Dirk Nowitzki, & Dwight Howard will be the core of the next generation Dallas Mavericks.

It's that simple. It's going to happen. Mark Cuban knows SOMEthing, he wouldn't be doing the salary stuff that he has been doing if he didn't know anything.

Nets fan 93
12-22-2011, 07:29 PM
You guys just need to get used to the fact that 8 months from now Deron Williams, Dirk Nowitzki, & Dwight Howard will be the core of the next generation Dallas Mavericks.

It's that simple. It's going to happen. Mark Cuban knows SOMEthing, he wouldn't be doing the salary stuff that he has been doing if he didn't know anything.
Knows what? The only thing he knows is that Dwight would welcome a trade there IF it was possible. La/nj have much better potential deals. Magic don't lose him for nothing.

WeGetRing2012
12-22-2011, 07:31 PM

Dwight wants to be a Laker. Deron maybe but not Dwight.

Funnyfuka
12-22-2011, 07:32 PM
deron sure aint going to stay in new jersey.

GOBB
12-22-2011, 07:34 PM

Mark Cuban doesnt know anything that other teams who put themselves in financial position to land a big free agent or two didnt know. :confusedshrug:

The one thing Cuban, me and you know? Aint sh!t guranteed and stuff happens from now til then. Like Brook Lopez injury just did. So predicting the future is a bit silly and I'm sure Cuban knows that.

GOBB
12-22-2011, 07:35 PM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.467366!/img/httpImage/image.jpg

Cheaper to just have pigeons camp out onto of the buiding to cover up this wall. :oldlol:

wang4three
12-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Dont get me started on how he chickened out last season with an amazingly outstanding 6 rebounds per game...

And Kwame averaged 3/4 last year and is getting 7 million.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
12-22-2011, 08:11 PM
In the end its about who budges first. The reward of getting both Gasol and Bynum by not budging outweighs the risk in not getting Bynum at all. Bynum is just not that valuable IMO. In the end, someone would have to budge because LA isn't getting Howard any other way.

lol....so a 24 yr old center who is 7'1 with huge potential not valuable who is also a 15mil expiring contract? I know he is injured a lot but if I letting a guy like D12 walk then its a bad decision on my part

At the EOD its about what I can do to get the franchise better and Bynum would be a rental of 6 months because its team option and they can just let him walk if he is injured again

Also Lakers will take back the bad contract of Hedo who is owed 11mil/yr for next 3 years

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
12-22-2011, 08:17 PM

didnt yao ming's problem start with the foot?

outbreak
12-22-2011, 08:36 PM
didnt yao ming's problem start with the foot?

Ming's were all stress fractures and the like though weren't they?

guy
12-22-2011, 08:42 PM
You're tryna make it sound like the only way the Lakers can get Howard is through a trade with the Magic. And that's not true Lakers aren't giving up Bynum & Gasol to get him. And trading away Gasol & Bynum frees up enough cap space to sign Howard and other free agents too.

No offense, but do you not understand how ridiculous your argument is? If you're going to trade those two to free up cap space to sign Howard, why don't you just trade them for Howard? Youre giving up both in your scenario too. :hammerhead:

Lebron23
12-22-2011, 08:45 PM
I feel bad for Brook Lopez, and the New Jersey Nets front office. That's why you don't let your major trade assets to play in some preseason games.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
12-22-2011, 08:48 PM
No offense, but do you not understand how ridiculous your argument is? If you're going to trade those two to free up cap space to sign Howard, why don't you just trade them for Howard? Youre giving up both in your scenario too. :hammerhead:

NO because when you trade for howard you have take back a bad contract in Hedo

With the lakers trading bynum/gasol for nothing they can attach the contracts of Artest/blake

so other than Kobe no other major contract is remaining with the lakers

niko
12-22-2011, 08:56 PM
Ming's were all stress fractures and the like though weren't they?
Yao Ming was too freaking big. Part of Lopez trouble will be if he's too big for his frame, but he's not so big that it's inconceivable this never happens again. Yao Ming is the size of a house. He had no chance.

guy
12-22-2011, 09:57 PM
NO because when you trade for howard you have take back a bad contract in Hedo

With the lakers trading bynum/gasol for nothing they can attach the contracts of Artest/blake

so other than Kobe no other major contract is remaining with the lakers

So you would risk doing all that and then get into a bidding war with the Nets and Mavs just to not take back Hedo and dump Artest and Blake, one of which i believe they can amnesty anyway, when you wouldn't be keeping Gasol anyway? That sounds completely ridiculous.

niko
12-23-2011, 09:20 AM
So last week i was arguing with all the Net fans who said it's terrible for Orlando to keep Howard on the roster, they needed to trade him now, keeping him till the trade deadline kills his value. I said it's better to wait, and i was confident they would wait.

:D I'm confident you all agree with me now that Orlando should wait.

wang4three
12-23-2011, 12:28 PM
I feel bad for Brook Lopez, and the New Jersey Nets front office. That's why you don't let your major trade assets to play in some preseason games.

This is dumb and stupid. He's a player on our team and we expect him to play when available. The Dwight trade was not imminent, we had no reason to be holding out a guy that would start and play for us all season possibly. He needs to get ready just as anybody else on our squad. Secondly, he's played every single game of his pro career up to this point and it is more an anomaly than a regular occurrence that he gets hurt.

Alan
12-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Funny thing is, well actually not funny, that I suffered that same injury few days ago. I'm not quite sure from which side one starts to count metatarsals but mine happened to the pinky toe one. Fortunately my injure won't require surgery like Brook's does. Should heal in about one month.

niko
12-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Funny thing is, well actually not funny, that I suffered that same injury few days ago. I'm not quite sure from which side one starts to count metatarsals but mine happened to the pinky toe one. Fortunately my injure won't require surgery like Brook's does. Should heal in about one month.
his requires more care because he's so big, and immediately after healing he's going to go back to putting stress on it. They said the particular bone required surgery because it did not get much blood flow to it.

Hopefully the kid is ok. I see very little concern for him. THE NETS SAID 4 WEEKS SO ITS 4 WEEKS. Every other player with this injury was 7 weeks, 10 weeks (james on the nets last year) 3 months (Gasol) but Lopez as big as he is will be back in 4 weeks. :facepalm And that has nothing to do with showcasing him for a trade i'm sure. He's just superman.

BallsOut
12-23-2011, 12:49 PM
I find it ironic that some Nets fans argue about Bynums injuries. What matters is the current. The Magic aren't going to trade for a C with a broken leg, who knows if he'll ever return to form. Bynum, on the other hand, is beasting.

wang4three
12-23-2011, 12:52 PM
I find it ironic that some Nets fans argue about Bynums injuries. What matters is the current. The Magic aren't going to trade for a C with a broken leg, who knows if he'll ever return to form. Bynum, on the other hand, is beasting.

Did Bynum's injury past somehow disappear? While this certainly dents Brook's injury credit, in his overall body of work he's been an injury free player.

niko
12-23-2011, 12:53 PM
yes he did look very good in ONE OF TWO PRESEASON GAMES. Let's not act like he's Shaq reborn. Let's do it in a real game. Maybe tomorrow. Wait, he's suspended for being a tool.

niko
12-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Surgery ruled succesful and Nets say 6 to 8 week expected recovery.

WeGetRing2012
12-23-2011, 01:40 PM

Because you are assuming the players with expiring contracts will be bad. Lakers can make a push at Howard while still having good enough talent on the team.

NBA2k-Monster23
12-23-2011, 01:46 PM
ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
Nets announce Brook Lopez underwent successful surgery to repair stress fracture/insert screw in right foot and project return in 6-8 weeks
22 minutes ago

This could be trouble for the Nets trying to get D12.

ConanRulesNBC
12-23-2011, 01:48 PM
If the Magic do decide to trade Dwight Howard right now then it probably will be to the Lakers. The Lakers just need to quit being afraid to throw in both Bynum and Gasol. Get Dwight and build around Dwight and Kobe.

WeGetRing2012
12-23-2011, 01:51 PM
If the Magic do decide to trade Dwight Howard right now then it probably will be to the Lakers. The Lakers just need to quit being afraid to throw in both Bynum and Gasol. Get Dwight and build around Dwight and Kobe.

We are not giving up Gasol & Bynum. Our best bet is to get another team involved with young talent.

Alan
12-23-2011, 01:51 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244384

kidachi
12-23-2011, 01:54 PM
Why doesn't Dwight want the Bulls?

LA_Showtime
12-23-2011, 01:58 PM
Well at least Magic fans can be rest assured they aren't trading for Brook Lopez. I'm not saying a package around Andrew Bynum is any better, but Lopez is one of the most overrated players in the league.

NBA2k-Monster23
12-23-2011, 01:58 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244384

There was no timeline on how long he would be out in that thread. This really hurts the Nets a lot in trying to get a trade for Dwight done. The tradeline is March 15 Lopez wont be back in time enough to get about 10 at least very productive games in to up trade value. This clearly puts the Lakers in the lead for Dwight.

Nets fan 93
12-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Why doesn't Dwight want the Bulls?
My only guess would be because he does not want to be overshadowed by Derrick Rose.

GatorKid117
12-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Well at least Magic fans can be rest assured they aren't trading for Brook Lopez. I'm not saying a package around Andrew Bynum is any better, but Lopez is one of the most overrated players in the league.

I'd rather let Dwight walk then have to pay him max money which he is going to want.

NBA2k-Monster23
12-23-2011, 02:01 PM

Andrew Bynum could be a very good center in the league if only he stayed healthy. Weight plays a huge role in injurys concerning knees and Foot problems like stress fractures. Bynum dropped some weight in the offseason and lost about 25pds.

NBA2k-Monster23
12-23-2011, 02:04 PM
My only guess would be because he does not want to be overshadowed by Derrick Rose.

Derrick rose says he doesn't want to play with another superstar around him. If he could win a ring. He could be the only person to say that he did it by himself. It's going to be extremely had to do so because teams like the Heat and Knicks are loaded with stars.

Nets fan 93
12-23-2011, 02:12 PM
Coming from someone that watches him 2 times a year? :facepalm

wang4three
12-23-2011, 02:19 PM

Considering 70% of this board made fun of Brook for his 6 rebound season and around the league he's noted as a not a franchise player.. I don't see how he's overrated at all. Bynum strikes me as overrated and I like the guy.

LA_Showtime
12-23-2011, 02:23 PM
Considering 70% of this board made fun of Brook for his 6 rebound season and around the league he's noted as a not a franchise player.. I don't see how he's overrated at all. Bynum strikes me as overrated and I like the guy.

I would say they're both overrated at this point, but if I had to take an overrated player I'd pick Bynum. :oldlol:

And I watch Lopez more than you think. Just because he's not on my team doesn't mean I don't watch him play.

niko
12-23-2011, 02:26 PM
I'd take Bynum because he has only 1 year so he's more easily flippable. For Orlando to flip him or to keep him will require a near max contract (young 7 footer scoring 20 a game you traded your star for?). Lopez at 5 years at almost as much as you had to pay HOward i don't like. I'd take Bynum. Bynum at his best is better than Lopez at his best, it's more what i would want my center to be (back to basket, defensive presence, rebounding). Lopez is much healthier, but you have to see how he comes back. THere are a bunch of bigs in the league whose foot problems hurt them their entire career.

wang4three
12-23-2011, 02:26 PM
I would say they're both overrated at this point, but if I had to take an overrated player I'd pick Bynum. :oldlol:

And I watch Lopez more than you think. Just because he's not on my team doesn't mean I don't watch him play.

I wouldn't say Brook is overrated. I'm very critical of Brook; I think he plays soft too much, he goes too often to that left shoulder on offense, and his footwork timing needs to improve.

That said, I don't think he's overrated. I also don't think he's underrated. He's probably where he should be; as one of those fringe All-Star level players that's a good 3rd option on a championship level team.

kurple
12-23-2011, 02:28 PM
So who to pick up in fantasy, Petro or Memo?

GOBB
12-23-2011, 02:32 PM
There was no timeline on how long he would be out in that thread.

So bumping it with recent info is a difficult thing to do. I got it now. Here it is I was going to threads already created and bumping them. Just create a new one GOBB! :hammerhead:

bagelred
12-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Doctors released a photo of Brook right before surgery. It's not pretty:

http://guides.machinescience.org/file.php/29/SCG3/CavitySam.gif

GOBB
12-23-2011, 02:43 PM
Damn bagelred you were doing good bringing the funny recently. Atleast from the posts I came across, cant speak as a whole. This just...it just :facepalm

Nets fan 93
12-23-2011, 02:49 PM

Do you? Looking at stats counts as watching? Nets are never televised nationally. So I'm just wondering.

LA_Showtime
12-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Do you? Looking at stats counts as watching? Nets are never televised nationally. So I'm just wondering.

I have league pass.

I don't need to look at Lopez's stats. He was overrated in college too. He's a soft player who doesn't bring anything defensively, and he's a horrible rebounder at his size. He's obviously more of a threat with a guy like Deron Williams to feed him the ball, but prior to that trade he had regressed from his rookie season.

Kurosawa0
12-23-2011, 02:56 PM
I'd rather let Dwight walk then have to pay him max money which he is going to want.

There are maybe one or two guys in the league that deserve max money more than Dwight Howard.

Nets fan 93
12-23-2011, 02:56 PM
I have league pass.

I don't need to look at Lopez's stats. He was overrated in college too. He's a soft player who doesn't bring anything defensively, and he's a horrible rebounder at his size. He's obviously more of a threat with a guy like Deron Williams to feed him the ball, but prior to that trade he had regressed from his rookie season.
He was just fine offensively without deron. He creates for himself in the post. He has a a ton of moves that he has perfected. Overrated? He was picked 10th. That is overrated in college? He only played 12 games with a hurt deron Williams.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
12-23-2011, 03:44 PM
He was just fine offensively without deron. He creates for himself in the post. He has a a ton of moves that he has perfected. Overrated? He was picked 10th. That is overrated in college? He only played 12 games with a hurt deron Williams.

Lopez played PF while his brother played Center at stanford. I have actually went and watched him play in the GYM. He is soft..you cant argue with that but at the same time he is offensively good when you have a PG like Deron Williams.

Defense/rebound ....is not his thing.

LA_Showtime
12-23-2011, 03:53 PM

When it really comes down to it I just don't see him as an impact player. Obviously you think he is.

All Net
12-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Least this gives magic a chance to convince dwight to stay...

Nets fan 93
12-23-2011, 04:16 PM
When it really comes down to it I just don't see him as an impact player. Obviously you think he is.
Yes I'm sure he is.the nets record will definitely take a big hit without Lopez. No more double teams to make life easier on humphries. He is definitely not a role player.

Kiddlovesnets
12-23-2011, 05:43 PM
Brook Lopez has been a disappointment since the start of last season, now this... Seriously, 4yrs25M is the best he should get next year for an extension, the Nets are NOT offering more than that.
:mad:

Kiddlovesnets
12-23-2011, 05:44 PM
And Kwame averaged 3/4 last year and is getting 7 million.

I trust our FO aint as stupid as the Warriors', lol... Kwame does not even deserve 700k.

Soundwave
12-23-2011, 05:46 PM
It'll be funny if both Lopez and Bynum are on the injured reserve 2 months from now.

Then both Laker and Nets can cry together :oldlol:

LA_Showtime
12-23-2011, 05:50 PM
It'll be funny if both Lopez and Bynum are on the injured reserve 2 months from now.

Then both Laker and Nets can cry together :oldlol:

At this point we just kinda expect Bynum to get injured. Whenever he falls over we just assume the worst. Our learned helplessness isn't as bad as Blazer fans though. :oldlol:

guy
12-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Because you are assuming the players with expiring contracts will be bad. Lakers can make a push at Howard while still having good enough talent on the team.

Oh my god, what are you talking about? Are you just arguing just for the sake of arguing? You're talking about trading Gasol and Bynum to get expirers. The point of getting expirers, good or bad, is to free up cap space for the next offseason to make a big splash in FA. The big splash they would be trying to make is Howard. If you're trying to trade Gasol+Bynum for expirers to sign Howard in the offseason, WHAT IS THE POINT OF DOING THAT if you can just trade those two for Howard RIGHT NOW? (Like I said before, assuming thats what it would take to get Howard right now). This way you also avoid a bidding war with the Nets and Mavs because its not even a guarantee he'll go to the Lakers if he's a FA over the summer. And again, in either scenario you're still losing Gasol. What do you not understand?