PDA

View Full Version : Who is the most respected player among players (as a person)?

elementally morale
12-24-2011, 10:58 PM
Who do most NBA players look up to? Not skillwise. Not necesserily respecting them as hard workers or for having a winner's mentality on the court. Just general respect.

talkingconch
12-24-2011, 10:59 PM
Duncan?

WeGetRing2012
12-24-2011, 11:00 PM
No one knows because no one knows these players personally.

(e)
12-24-2011, 11:04 PM
Tebow

hammer2010
12-24-2011, 11:06 PM
http://georg.blogg.se/images/2009/who-cares_40766168.jpg

nash4eva!gosuns
12-24-2011, 11:08 PM
Tebow
This.

elementally morale
12-24-2011, 11:09 PM
http://georg.blogg.se/images/2009/who-cares_40766168.jpg

I do, Einstein. That's why I was asking the question in the first place. If you don't care you may as well not post in this thread. There are many others, you know.

elementally morale
12-24-2011, 11:11 PM
No one knows because no one knows these players personally.

OK, I'm rephrasing the question then.
Who do YOU think is the most respected player among other players?

AlphaWolf24
12-24-2011, 11:12 PM
I know I will get flamed...

but most players respect the time you put in to perfect your technique....and the heart you show to win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt-f49jyMmo&feature=relmfu

I think that weighs more heavily in the NBA for overall respect then off the court...most players in the league don't know or care to know each other off the court (outside of Teamates) to form solid opinions..

their opinion is formed on the battlefield...where it counts most.

elementally morale
12-24-2011, 11:17 PM
most players respect the time you put in to perfect your technique....and the heart you show to win

I think you are right. This is the reason I wanted to block out these aspects. A guy like MJ must have commanded crazy respect due to these attributes, but was he respected as a person?

These NBA players are not rocket scientists, but still: They are humans and I'm sure they have some personal feelings towards one another.

kenny817
12-24-2011, 11:22 PM
Dirkules

DuMa
12-24-2011, 11:23 PM
players i can think of: Nash, Dirk, Duncan, Ray Allen.

elementally morale
12-24-2011, 11:24 PM
I'm putting up some names. Do you think they are well respected as personalities?

Steve Nash
Shane Battier
Derek Fisher
Pau Gasol
Joakim Noah
Ray Allen
Grant Hill

Just 7 names off the top of my head to start with.

hammer2010
12-24-2011, 11:25 PM
I do, Einstein. That's why I was asking the question in the first place. If you don't care you may as well not post in this thread. There are many others, you know.

Why doe? :confusedshrug:

millwad
12-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Manute Bol, easily.
The man had a heart bigger than his size..

RIP MANUTE!
He gave away all his money to the poor and when he finally was hit in a car accident he barely had any money left for himself. If I recall correctly Golden State Warriors paid most of his hospital bills which was a class act thing to do after all Manute did for others..

http://newsdesk.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/30279503H1842532.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg

upside24
12-24-2011, 11:27 PM
I'm putting up some names. Do you think they are well respected as personalities?

Steve Nash
Shane Battier
Derek Fisher
Pau Gasol
Joakim Noah
Ray Allen
Grant Hill

I don't know about Gasol and Noah but the rest of the guys are classy veterans who should be respected if they are not already.

Solid Snake
12-24-2011, 11:28 PM
Current: Grant Hill

All time: Mutumbo.

MochaUdoka
12-24-2011, 11:44 PM

Good answer ...I didn't even think of Hill. The first names that came to my mind were Derek Fisher, Nash, Ray Allen, and Duncan (in that order).

If we wanna talk about past players I think David Robinson deserves a mention as well.

To find a list of classy players (past and present) just look up the winners of the NBA's sportsmanship award

Edit: Nvm I looked it up myself because I was curious lol

Year by Year Sportsmanship award winners:

1995–96 Joe Dumars
1996–97 Terrell Brandon
1997–98 Avery Johnson
1998–99 Hersey Hawkins
1999–00 Eric Snow
2000–01 David Robinson
2001–02 Steve Smith
2002–03 Ray Allen
2003–04 P. J. Brown
2004–05 Grant Hill
2005–06 Elton Brand
2006–07 Luol Deng
2007–08 Grant Hill
2008–09 Chauncey Billups
2009–10 Grant Hill
2010–11 Stephen Curry

elementally morale
12-24-2011, 11:47 PM
I don't know about Gasol and Noah but the rest of the guys are classy veterans who should be respected if they are not already.

It is one thing if you think someone SHOULD be respected, and it is another thing whether you THINK someone IS respected.

For example, I think Pau Gasol should be respected as a person but he isn't. At least I think he is not getting proper respect for the kind of person he really is.

brisbaneman
12-24-2011, 11:47 PM
Delonte West

elementally morale
12-24-2011, 11:50 PM
If we wanna talk about past players I think David Robinson deserves a mention as well.

Nice catch. In retrospect, we respect him. Maybe, even some modern era players respect him. But was he respected by his peers in his time?

How about Dennis Rodman? Do you respect him? Do you thing today's players respect him? Do you think his peers respected him? Do you think they should have? How about Joe Dumars?

brisbaneman
12-24-2011, 11:51 PM
Nice catch. In retrospect, we respect him. Maybe, even some modern era players respect him. But was he respected by his peers in his time?

How about Dennis Rodman? Do you respect him? Do you thing today's players respect him? Do you think his peers respected him? Do you think they should have?

I'm pretty sure Rodman received very little respect among his peers.

elementally morale
12-24-2011, 11:54 PM
I'm pretty sure Rodman received very little respect among his peers.

I think you are right. And actually, Rodman was always a good guy. Still, someone like Bird was respected, and I honestly think he is not a good guy. No, I don't know him personally, it's just a gut feeling.

brisbaneman
12-24-2011, 11:56 PM
I think you are right. And actually, Rodman was always a good guy. Still, someone like Bird was respected, and I honestly think he is not a good guy. No, I don't know him personally, it's just a gut feeling.

Whys that? Yeah I think if you saw Rodman's HOF speech you could tell he regretted many of his decisions and displayed significant introspection. But whats wrong with Bird?

When I think of people who are probably legitimately shitty persons I think of Jordan, Kobe, and lebron, amongst others.

MochaUdoka
12-24-2011, 11:59 PM

How about Dennis Rodman? Do you respect him? Do you thing today's players respect him? Do you think his peers respected him? Do you think they should have? How about Joe Dumars?

I can't speak for his fellow players, but I know that I (as a fan) have always respected David Robinson as a player and a person. He was a class act all the way. I feel his basketball skills should have been enough to garner the respect he deserved from his peers, but respect runs much deeper than that. Some players may have a mentality similar to mine, however others may not respect a player like Robinson. (a player with a mean streak will always try to walk all over a nice guy like David).

I respect Rodman for being unique and being himself (I can only assume that's what he was doing), and of course for his skills. I don't agree with some of the antics he pulled, but I respect anyone who is true to themself, and I feel Rodman fits that criteria.

IGotACoolStory
12-25-2011, 12:00 AM
KOBE! On the court he's the GOAT. Off court he lives the American Dream!!!

elementally morale
12-25-2011, 12:01 AM
Whys that? Yeah I think if you saw Rodman's HOF speech you could tell he regretted many of his decisions and displayed significant introspection. But whats wrong with Bird?

When I think of people who are probably legitimately shitty persons I think of Jordan, Kobe, and lebron, amongst others.

Rodman was always a good guy. He committed some mistakes, yes. We all do. But he was a very generous and giving character and also an honest chap. I'm not getting into MJ and Kobe here, it is going to hijack the thread. As for Bird, I'm sure I would never want to be close to him as a co-worker or potential friend. There is something in his character I severely dislike -- unfortunately these very same attributes are the ones that make very talented players into legends and goat candidates.

upside24
12-25-2011, 12:02 AM

I think Rodman is well respected as a player but as a person not so much. His off court antics have tarnished many peoples opinions of him.

elementally morale
12-25-2011, 12:07 AM
I think Rodman is well respected as a player but as a person not so much. His off court antics have tarnished many peoples opinions of him.

Rodman is someone who (I think) was not but should have been respected.

The question of this thread basically boils down to this: Do NBA players make good decisions when it comes to determining 'values'? Are those values important at all? One can say, these attributes are rather unimportant, as these players are there to win games and entertain us in the process. However, they all hang up their sneakers sooner or later and have to carry on with their lives. So what are the 'remains of the day'?

Brian Grant, anyone?

JerrySteakhouse
12-25-2011, 12:09 AM

Uncle Tom!!!

upside24
12-25-2011, 12:10 AM
Uncle Tom!!!
Is that you Jalen?:D

JerrySteakhouse
12-25-2011, 12:12 AM
Is that you Jalen?:D
:D

MochaUdoka
12-25-2011, 12:18 AM
Rodman was always a good guy. He committed some mistakes, yes. We all do. But he was a very generous and giving character and also an honest chap. I'm not getting into MJ and Kobe here, it is going to hijack the thread. As for Bird, I'm sure I would never want to be close to him as a co-worker or potential friend. There is something in his character I severely dislike -- unfortunately these very same attributes are the ones that make very talented players into legends and goat candidates.

You can try to avoid discussing MJ and Kobe, but you must realize Kobe IS one of the most respected players in the league.

You bring up a good point concerning Bird (the fact that some of these legends may not be so nice personally, but their negative personality traits directly influence their drive to succeed)

The question seems to be what personality traits other players respect, which is obviously going to be different for each individual. I feel the biggest factor in gaining respect is dominance. Regardless of personality, the best players are respected by the majority of the league : Kobe, MJ, Bird, Hakeem, Duncan, etc...

That is why I feel the majority of players probably did in fact respect David Robinson, because he was better than them. Respect by your peers is gained by superiority; whether or not someone is a nice or mean person is largely irrelevent.

brisbaneman
12-25-2011, 12:20 AM

OH ok cool, don't worry I claim no stake in the Kobe vs Jordan lore.

Bottom line is the majority of people are assholes. I'm a doctor and very few doctors care about their patients and even fewer are good people. I'm not sure why it would be any different in basketball. Off the top of my head nba players who appear genuine and honest are dirk nowitzki, manu ginobli, andrei kirilenko, russell westbrook, and a few others I am forgetting.

D.J.
12-25-2011, 02:32 AM
I think you are right. This is the reason I wanted to block out these aspects. A guy like MJ must have commanded crazy respect due to these attributes, but was he respected as a person?

Multiple people have claimed MJ is a real jackass off the court.

SacJB Shady
12-25-2011, 02:35 AM
david lee

nash4eva!gosuns
12-25-2011, 05:10 AM
I think guys like Baron Davis, Nash, Hill and Nowtizki are likeable/respectable guys. They're down-to-earth and funny and pretty human. That's the way I feel like they project. It's kind of like you could just sit around and chill with them, have a beer and a conversation and it'd be all good. :cheers:

As people, guys like Lebron, Melo, Kobe and Jordan bug the living daylights out of me because they just seem like they have bad personalities. Their game might be amazing (not denying that or taking away from the fact that they're great players) but they're a little bit diva-ish and it's not cute. :no:

However, I agree that players respect each other based on game and skills rather than personalities.

HylianNightmare
12-25-2011, 05:22 AM
hill has to be up there

hammer2010
12-25-2011, 05:26 AM
Uncle Tom!!!

This shit has to stop. Dude just had a different upbringing. You can't expect him to be a ghetto superstar when he was never around that environment. Dude is one of the most respectable guys in the game. Period.

stolper
12-25-2011, 05:55 AM
David Stern.

WadeBronDonJuan
12-25-2011, 06:32 AM
I know I will get flamed...

but most players respect the time you put in to perfect your technique....and the heart you show to win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt-f49jyMmo&feature=relmfu

I think that weighs more heavily in the NBA for overall respect then off the court...most players in the league don't know or care to know each other off the court (outside of Teamates) to form solid opinions..

their opinion is formed on the battlefield...where it counts most.

dude be postin a 5 year old video...... smh... :hammerhead:

chains5000
12-25-2011, 09:09 AM

Steve Nash
Shane Battier
Derek Fisher
Pau Gasol
Joakim Noah
Ray Allen
Grant Hill

Noah? Don't think so.
Gasol either, sad but true.

jstern
12-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Isn't it Fisher because he's such a "Classy" guy?

Also DR J seemed to be beyond respect by all the guys on Open Court. It's as if he was god. So all time it might be DR. J

Found the segment http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NliXrQKwudE

That was true respect. And it was interesting to watch, because as a kid Dr J was a big name, even though he was way before the time of the kids my age, and now he's just an old NBA player that I don't think is that recognize by anyone younger, so shows you how guys like Kobe and Lebron are going to be like no names in 30 years. High chance of that.

alenleomessi
12-25-2011, 11:15 AM
Duncan and Shaq but he retired

koBEDABEST
12-25-2011, 11:30 AM
S u guys Duncan is respected cuz he duznt hav a personality?

koBEDABEST
12-25-2011, 11:36 AM
I luv how u guys think "being" nice is the most important criteria to get respect.

For all we know, Lebron is the most respected player in the league.

Think about it, did the person that received the most respect in HS was the "nicest"? On ur ball team? In College? Right Now?

Exactly.