PDA

View Full Version : Most untapped potential of all time?

Dwyane Rose
12-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Which players, in your opinion, had the most untapped potential. By this I mean who didn't have as good a career as possible due to things like injuries and other unfortunate events like what happened to Len Bias, or even laziness, like Vince Carter.

A few examples, in no particular order:

1. Yao Ming - Shaq said he could have been a top 5 center of all time. That means a lot considering all the great centers like Bill Walton, Willis Reed, George Mikan, David Robinson, Shaq himself, Moses Malone, Bill Russell, Hakeem Olajuwon, Wilt and Kareem. He had numerous injuries, even before he had come into the NBA. Apparently he had a foot injury as a teenager which had lowered his vertical leap by 10 inches. That's a big difference. I can see him rebounding more and blocking more shots with 10 inches more elevation.

2. Tracy McGrady - Averaged 32/7/6/2/1 on 3 turnovers in his prime, could've been on the same level as LeBron and Kobe in terms of ranking on the all-time list if he had stayed healthy.

3. Grant Hill - ^

4. Len Bias - Tragedy

5. Vince Carter - He admitted to not trying in Toronto, AKA his prime... now that is screwed up.

Feel free to list your top 5 in order, and maybe predict stat lines and career accomplishments for them if they had lived up to their full potential.

Ex: This is if Yao Ming had Dwight Howard's durability.

Yao Ming - 1x MVP
1x NBA Championship
1x Finals MVP
12x All-NBA selection
Would be an All-star literally every year he was in the NBA due to popularity
2x All-NBA defensive second team selection
Prime stats, no major injuries: 32/12/2/0.5/3

pauk
12-28-2011, 08:06 PM
bernard king
penny hardaway
shawn kemp

Rnbizzle
12-28-2011, 08:07 PM
Next on this list: DeMarcus Cousins.

Fatal9
12-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Greg Oden. He would have been legit if he didn't get injured.

Jasper
12-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Vin Baker (6'10") goose awkward player that disrupted most defenses as well as offenses , but even though he hung on way longer than he should of been playing .....

The bq and beer did him in....

In Milwaukee is was like 18 8 dude ..

TEXAS BATMAN
12-28-2011, 08:09 PM
vince carter. more natural ability than any 2 to ever play the game but has the work ethic of a middle school janitor. poster child for wasted potential.

Jasper
12-28-2011, 08:10 PM
bernard king
penny hardaway
shawn kemp

King and Kemp had banner careers , and only the last 4 years for Kemp were flat.
Read up on players before you post

Next on this list: DeMarcus Cousins.

Easy one to target , but I not only think he will be a double double guy for an NBA career , you will see a dominate PF
He's untapped simple because he is a kid....

JohnnySic
Derrick Coleman.

kurple
JR Smith

All the talent in the world, but no brain or work ethic

AngelEyes
12-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Len Bias, Connie Hawkins, Bill Walton, Arvydas Sabonis, Greg Oden

Dwyane Rose
12-28-2011, 08:12 PM
JR Smith is a good unexpected pick.

I don't know what his issue is... he's got the athleticism, the size, good shooter from anywhere on the court... He just doesn't have the cognitive ability like Jordan. You could argue that JR has the near the same physical talents as Jordan, but he lacks the mental part.

Jasper
12-28-2011, 08:13 PM
JR Smith

Yea that dude could ball with anyone ... you hav to wonder if coke did him in :confusedshrug:

JR Smith is a good unexpected pick.

I don't know what his issue is... he's got the athleticism, the size, good shooter from anywhere on the court... He just doesn't have the cognitive ability like Jordan. You could argue that JR has the near the same physical talents as Jordan, but he lacks the mental part.

dumar proto type

Hof'ers untapped potential ???

Joshumitsu
12-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Oden: Was billed to be the next David Robinson-Shaq-Bill Russell-Kareem-Wilt-Thurmond hybrid super center greatest of all time father of Lebron James type of player.

Unfortunately, injuries derailed his career and he never got another chance to ever play a full season in the NBA.

He is now a limping millionaire who lives with his dog.

CAstill
12-28-2011, 08:18 PM
bernard king
penny hardaway
shawn kemp

Wow! You're first post i actually agree with.

I would add Kobe to the list.
I would of loved to see how he would of done,
if he actually got a team built around him from day one, never got a rape trial,
and didn't have to get knee and finger injuries.
I feel like he would have more rings and more accolades as well.
He would be at Jordan's level now and passing him, instead of still trying to play
catch up with the G.O.A.T.
Shaq's legacy would be different as well. He would of stayed at the same level of greatness though.
Oh and who can forget Lebron? If he would of stayed in CLE maybe the basketball gods would of shown him love with a ring ala Dirk. But no he made a different "decision" instead.

AngelEyes
12-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Derrick Coleman.

Coleman is a good one. Could have been one of the best power fowards of all time but it never materialized.

CAstill
12-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Yeah Kemp had a great career but he was aiming for G.O.A.T and ended up being a tragedy story.

LJJ
12-28-2011, 08:23 PM
If JR Smith has all the physical talent but not the cognitive ability, that isn't untapped potential to me. He does about as well as he can with the tools he's been given, for all his vices he doesn't strike me as a guy who doesn't work hard or is unambitious.

That's Vince Carter. Poster child for wasted potential. He had all the basketball ability in the world. One of the most gifted physical specimens of all time in the NBA. And skill wise he can do it all. He can be a top 5 scorer in the league, distribute the ball like a point guard, one of the purest shots in the league, he's clutch. great overall understanding of the game.
But he doesn't have any ambition or desire to improve himself and has no love for the game.

jdm_dc_fan
12-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Hate to say it but Brandon Roy. Seems like Portland is cursed.

WillyJakk
12-28-2011, 08:32 PM
I'll drop some different names.

http://blogimages.thescore.com/tbj/files/2011/12/boris-diaw-balls.jpg

Dude can (or could) play all 5 positions but if he's not really pushed his motor only works during a contract year.

http://www.bballone.com/amares/suns/images/suns26_resize.jpg

#32 Amare Stoudemire, before the microfracture surgery, before the #1, and definitely before the (') apostrophe dude was an absolute killer on the court, destroying prime Tim Duncan AND an older David Robinson.

iggy>
12-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Derrick Coleman
Rasheed Wallace
Connie Hawkins

reppy
12-28-2011, 08:41 PM

3 out of 5 of those players are Blazers centers. :( :banghead:

DevilsAssassin
12-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Bill Walton

Calabis
12-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Drazen if he doesn't pass away, we may have witnessed possibly the greatest outside shooter of his time

Roy Tarpley what a waste

StarJordan
12-28-2011, 08:46 PM
jordan as point guard

L.Kizzle
12-28-2011, 09:11 PM
To me, untapped potential is a player like Roy Tarpley or JR Smith. Guys like TMac, Hill, ect reached their potential they just didn't stay their long enough. TMac averaged 32/7/7 I mean what would his potential be, 38/12/12??

TaLvsCuaL
12-28-2011, 09:12 PM
Navarro :D

Teanett
12-28-2011, 09:23 PM
dariusz miles
lenny cooke

JellyBean
12-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Chris Washburn...drugs
LaSalle Thompson...lazy
Quintin Daily...drugs
Ralph Sampson..injuries
Melvin Turpin....lazy
Sam Bowie...injuries
Benoit Benjamin..lazy
Keith Lee...lazy
Billy Thompson....injuries

kumquat
12-28-2011, 09:34 PM
Vince Carter had all the physical tools and skills to be the GOAT.

HB40TheNextStar
12-28-2011, 09:37 PM
If you don't have the basketball IQ, how much untapped potential do you have?

Injuries are one thing... They can't be helped, prevented, or changed. They are going to happen and some are going to be more devastating than others.

I'll even buy motivation. That can be changed.

But can you change an idiot into a great basketball mind? I doubt it.

b0bab0i
12-28-2011, 09:38 PM
Tmac

hoopaddict08
12-28-2011, 09:43 PM
Rasheed Wallace.

Yes, he was a huge reason why the Detroit Pistons won a championship.

He is also the reason why they didn't win more.

Wallace had all the talent in the world; he just didn't have the right mindset to put that talent to good use on a night-in/night-out basis. Even when the Pistons lost Ben Wallace, Dumars put together a roster that could have won another title.

The 2008 Pistons still had a good starting five: Chauncey, Hamilton, Prince, Mcdyess, and Rasheed.

Then they had guys like Arron Afflalo, Rodney Stuckey, Jason Maxiell, Amir Johnson, Lindsey Hunter, and Walter Herrmann coming off the bench. That team was deep. If Rasheed had stayed in shape, and had a stronger focus, he could of won the Pistons at the very least one more title.

Nevaeh
12-28-2011, 09:54 PM
jordan as point guard

Lebron b4 Lebron basically, minus the shaky nerves.

MMKM
12-28-2011, 10:47 PM
Dnot know if this name came up yet, but Manute Bol. 7'7 longest wingspan in NBA history and he could run and jump. If he had grown up in the US with access to the right nutrition, weight training, skill development, who knows

DuMa
12-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Stromile Swift

sorry stro

RRR3
12-28-2011, 10:50 PM
Gotta go with my boy T-Mac :D. Most raw basketball ability I have ever seen from any player.

Dwyane Rose
12-28-2011, 11:45 PM
Does anyone here think Brandon Roy could have been as good as Kobe had his career panned out the way it should've?

Bandito
12-28-2011, 11:46 PM
Does anyone here think Brandon Roy could have been as good as Kobe had his career panned out the way it should've?
I do.

Lebron23
12-28-2011, 11:49 PM

Hell No.

irondarts
12-28-2011, 11:54 PM
Derrick Coleman is a good one.

One I'm going to throw out, Jonathan Bender, remember him? I always thought he could've been a great player, a legit 7 footer who had the ability to play the 3, very athletic but just never materialized.

flipogb
12-29-2011, 12:12 AM
JR Smith

JR is a more athletic Kobe without a brain

L.Kizzle
12-29-2011, 12:16 AM
Derrick Coleman is a good one.

One I'm going to throw out, Jonathan Bender, remember him? I always thought he could've been a great player, a legit 7 footer who had the ability to play the 3, very athletic but just never materialized.
You just desribed Darius Miles and before him Tim Thomas, and before him Ed O'Banon.

no pun intended
12-29-2011, 12:28 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bAIZPjDtT_Q/SW_Edq5vOqI/AAAAAAAAB1k/sR2EujyhoH8/s400/Adam%20Morrison.jpg

Lucifer
12-29-2011, 12:31 AM
Kobe. If it weren't for Shaq, and he was placed in a franchise player position from the get go he would have obscene stats and accolades at 33.

greymatter
12-29-2011, 01:09 AM
Based on lack of NBA games played and projected greatness:

1. Len Bias
2. Earl Manigault

In recent years, Oden. Going a bit further back, Richard Dumas. He could very well have developed into PHX's second best player had he stayed away from the coke.

greymatter
12-29-2011, 01:11 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Manigault

When Abdul-Jabbar finished his career with the Los Angeles Lakers and had his number retired at the Los Angeles Forum, he was asked who was the greatest player he had played with or against. After a long silence, he answered, "That would have to be 'The Goat'".

sodap
12-29-2011, 01:15 AM
lebron. potential to be a legendary player on par with MJ, but he chose the easy way out.

yao and t-mac, thats a ****ing dinasty down the drain because of injuries

brandon roy and greg oden, probably the same thing

Big#50
12-29-2011, 01:18 AM
David Robinson and it isn't even close. He always backed down from the spotlight. I think he could have been the best big of all time.

Kiarip
12-29-2011, 01:29 AM
JR Smith

actually he's a pretty damn hard worker.

tpols
12-29-2011, 01:47 AM
Vince Carter had all the physical tools and skills to be the GOAT.
I dont know about that. I think people are overrating Vince Carter's potential. He was in his prime in his first two years with the Nets and he wasn't even a top 5 player in the league... his athleticism, skill, clutchness, desire to play[he joined a contending team with a still prime Kidd] were all at peaks and, after watching a ton of Nets games back then, I never got the feeling he was a GOAT level player. A great 25/5/5 wing with closing ability.. but not MJ great. The problem with Vince is he wasn't as hungry or energy filled on the court. He didn't attack defenses with his athleticism like he should have.. VC3 settled for way too many 3s, and jumpers in general. That lack of energy[when compared to a Jordan type] and decision making are part of who he was as a player.:confusedshrug:

Xiao Yao You
12-29-2011, 01:51 AM
Brad Daugherty's career ended way too early. One of the best passing big men. Very underrated in his day on very good teams.

Clark Kellogg. Lionel Simmons(What happened to him). Antoine Walker.

Pra
12-29-2011, 02:56 AM
Michael Beasley, I'm sure Adelman is keeping him in place. If only Beasley had his head right... at the start of his career, it's not too late for him though!

Teanett
12-29-2011, 05:46 AM
i forgot the most obvious.
the biggest, most disappointing case of "what could have been"...

http://www.simpalife.com/wp-content/uploads/NBA-Free-Agent-Lebron-James.jpg

JohnnyBravo5
12-29-2011, 05:58 AM
Steve Smith. People don't remember he won a slam dunk competition in college. Before he lost his knees he was an incredible athlete. He still had a great career as a jumpshooter though.

Xiao Yao You
12-29-2011, 06:17 AM
Hot Rod Hundley, Jim Jackson, Derek Smith, Latrell Spreewell

Shepseskaf
12-29-2011, 06:40 AM
David Robinson and it isn't even close. He always backed down from the spotlight. I think he could have been the best big of all time.
Some good names in this thread, but this rang the most true to me. Strange to list a Hall of Famer here, but if he simply liked playing basketball, he would have been so much better.

WillC
12-29-2011, 07:28 AM
Maurice Stokes - He'd be one of the top 20 players of all-time if his career didn't end so tragically. 3 seasons, 3 All-Star games, 3 All-NBA 2nd Team selections, career averages of 16.4ppg, 17.3rpg and 5.3apg.

Bob Kurland - 7-footer who chose not to turn professional. Would have been George Mikan's main rival.

Ralph Sampson - Such a tremendous athlete with great height. A very skilled player.

Connie Hawkins - Joined the NBA late in his career, so we missed out on his prime.

David Thompson - Career ruined by drugs.

Penny Hardaway / Grant Hill - Were on track for Hall of Fame careers before injuries.

Len Bias - Obvious reasons.

The Big Skinny
12-29-2011, 07:39 AM
dariusz miles
lenny cooke

Saw a special on him and how he used to be 1/1a with Lebron back in the day. Not sure what happened to him.

Force
12-29-2011, 08:51 AM
Wow! You're first post i actually agree with.

I would add Kobe to the list.
I would of loved to see how he would of done,
if he actually got a team built around him from day one, never got a rape trial,
and didn't have to get knee and finger injuries.
I feel like he would have more rings and more accolades as well.
He would be at Jordan's level now and passing him, instead of still trying to play
catch up with the G.O.A.T.
Shaq's legacy would be different as well. He would of stayed at the same level of greatness though.
Oh and who can forget Lebron? If he would of stayed in CLE maybe the basketball gods would of shown him love with a ring ala Dirk. But no he made a different "decision" instead.

You must not remember the old Kobe. Horrible shot selection, didn't make his teammates better, all kinds of issues due to being stubborn and his attitude. Changing that would have done more for him than the ridiculous stuff you listed. Passing Jordan? There isn't one thing Kobe does better than Jordan on the court except for shooting 3 pointers. Passing, Boards, Scoring, efficiency, post up, defense by a LANDSLIDE, bball IQ, etc. etc. Being healthier wouldn't have made him better than Jordan.

Force
12-29-2011, 08:52 AM
Richard Dumas was going to be an all star.

Stud rookie and went hard in the finals against the Bulls.

Great athlete with good overall game.

Then he discovered Coke and poof, he was gone.

bluechox2
12-29-2011, 09:09 AM
jason williams

RRR3
12-29-2011, 09:20 AM
LMFAO @ the people saying Kobe. Kobe has great talent, yes, but he's a hard worker and has gotten the most out of his potential.

eliteballer
12-29-2011, 09:33 AM
No he hasn't. His knee has been an issue since 03.

Scholar
12-29-2011, 12:02 PM
5. Brandon Roy - I think if he wasn't pretty much forced to retire early due to his knee lacking any cartilage, he'd have been a pretty damn good NBA star. He'd probably have been a perennial All-Star for the rest of his career.

4. Vince Carter - easily the most exciting player to watch in the early 2000's. He admitted himself that he didn't try in Toronto, and by the time he was in New Jersey, his game was slowing down, so he didn't end up developing into the superstar athlete I had assumed he'd have become.

3. Grant Hill - one of the best players in the league when he was younger, but injury after injury definitely slowed this dude down. He's still an awesome player now for the Suns, but nowhere near the Michael Jordan comparisons he was garnering back in the day.

2. Gilbert Arenas - :wtf: happened to this dude? Went from top 5 scorer in the league to just a role player within a few seasons. What a waste of talent..

1. Tracy McGrady - could have easily been the dude LeBron James would be compared to. About the same height as James, almost the same game (in the sense that he could average nearly a triple-double if he was playing his A game), & he was a huge scoring threat (average 32+ one season & 28 in another). I think if he had remained healthy his entire career, he'd have given Kobe Bryant a huge run for his money on who is the top player of the 2000's in the NBA.

Honorable mentions:

Penny Hardaway - basketball reasons

Steve Francis - didn't expect him to be great, but better than what he ended up showing us.

Baron Davis - see Steve Francis.

Jason Richardson - not legendary, but thought he'd be a better player after getting all that shine from those dunk contests he participated in.

Gerald Green - see J. Rich.

DaHeezy
12-29-2011, 12:22 PM
One big obvious that everybody missed is Allen Iverson. Potentially could have been one of the greatest gaurds period if it wern't for attitude and lack of discipline.
Look up a kid named Bo Kimble too.
Another tragedy is Reggie Lewis

Dwyane Rose
12-29-2011, 12:31 PM
LMFAO @ the people saying Kobe. Kobe has great talent, yes, but he's a hard worker and has gotten the most out of his potential.

I think Kobe has actually had a pretty lucky career. Plays for a big market team, had the most dominant force in the game for his prime 8 years to help him win 3 rings, somehow managed to steal Gasol from Memphis, and he hasn't had any major injuries.

Even Jordan had a major injury, he broke his foot in his second season.

Now of course, that Grizzlies-Lakers trade is seems a bit more even now, but no one would have predicted that Marc Gasol would be a beast...

chairman
12-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Tyrus Thomas

bagelred
12-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Michael Ray Richardson

Bill Walton

Dictator
12-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Kobe. Just imagine if Kobe took good low contested shots and actually passed the ball instead of shooting over 3 defenders.....

He would average like 30 5 9 for his career.

Teanett
12-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Kobe. Just imagine if Kobe took good low contested shots and actually passed the ball instead of shooting over 3 defenders.....

He would average like 30 5 9 for his career.
he would be ray allen.

Dictator
12-29-2011, 02:08 PM
he would be ray allen.

nawww Kobe seems to like the midrange game more than the three.