PDA

View Full Version : The Jordan "Push-off"

bwink23
01-02-2012, 07:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW_SrjKVxIo

Go to 6:28 of the video....For those who insist Jordan threw Russell on his ass in the 1998 Finals...the video above shows Jordan doing the same move on 9 different defenders, not one of them whistled for a foul. Just a little perspective to give in regards to that situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPTFK_sGWgE

Go to 30 seconds of the video...Jordan says he DID NOT PUSH OFF on Bryon Russell, with B-Russ right behind him in the house....PEACE

Pursuer
01-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Yeah, but only once does he use the off-hand on the defender(against Majerle) like he did vs Russell.

SAKOTXA
01-02-2012, 07:23 PM
The only one where he used his hand was the one on Majerle...which wasn't as blatant as the push on Russell.

You really need to get off MJ's nuts. He pushed him. Didn't get called for it. Made a great shot. Epic way of finishing his career with style. He's a warrior.

bwink23
01-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Yeah, but only once does he use the off-hand on the defender(against Majerle) like he did vs Russell.

They all reacted the same way as Russell did, about fell on their butts on the pull-up. If you watch the 98 game at normal pace, it looks near identical to all of those.

jstern
01-02-2012, 07:29 PM
I'm sorry, but one would have to kind of be dumb to think that Jordan would be so strong to push Russel to the floor.

Just saw it right now. Jordan's hand is actually going down also, and from the back view, the momentum going forward started with Russell's torso, while Jordan caresses his butt.

Pursuer
01-02-2012, 07:29 PM
They all reacted the same way as Russell did, about fell on their butts on the pull-up. If you watch the 98 game at normal pace, it looks near identical to all of those.

Not really. And MJ was a lot slower in 98, than in those clips, that's why he had to use it.(the off-hand)

Optimus Prime
01-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Play on. Nothing to see here. The "Jordan Push-Off" is widely used by Jordan detractors to diminish his greatness. The last of many great clutch shots by the GOAT. :bowdown:

SAKOTXA
01-02-2012, 07:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRCTp57LQro

0:31 second mark.

One would have to be blind not to see the push.

bwink23
01-02-2012, 07:31 PM
I'm sorry, but one would have to kind of be dumb to think that Jordan would be so strong to push Russel to the floor.

This.....exactly right, to think Jordan could shove a 215-220 pound grown ass man to the floor with with weak arm off the dribble.....FANTASY

bwink23
01-02-2012, 07:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRCTp57LQro

0:31 second mark.

One would have to be blind not to see the push.

That's a weak little nudge did the same thing to the other guys...not worthy of a call.

Here it is at normal pace, 10:00 minute mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqcQl0PRVkk

JohnnyWall
01-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Go to bed, Bryan!

SAKOTXA
01-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Either you guys have never played a game of basketball or you're just too stupid.

Byron was going back with all his momentum, off balanced...MJ pulled back and pushed him to create even more space.

It has nothing to do with strength, it's just physics.

Jordan is the greatest basketball player of all time, why are you even being insecure about it?

SAKOTXA
01-02-2012, 07:37 PM
That's a weak little nudge did the same thing to the other guys...not worthy of a call.

Yes, i saw that. He still pushed him, get over it.

DMV2
01-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Russell was already committed to defend the penetration as he thought Jordan was going for towards the rim and not for a shot near the free throw line.

bwink23
01-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Yes, i saw that. He still pushed him, get over it.

10 plays with the same move, NO CALL on all of them....good job ref, this isn't pansy ball.

SAKOTXA
01-02-2012, 07:43 PM
10 plays with the same move, NO CALL on all of them....good job ref, this isn't pansy ball.

Are you trolling me, bro?

Like somebody else already said, he only used his hand on one of those plays...

Blue&Orange
01-02-2012, 07:45 PM
Either you guys have never played a game of basketball or you're just too stupid.

Byron was going back with all his momentum, off balanced...MJ pulled back and pushed him to create even more space.

It has nothing to do with strength, it's just physics.

Jordan is the greatest basketball player of all time, why are you even being insecure about it?
Homework assignment, push someone in the ass with your hand for 1.5 seconds and see if they fall. Someone big...

SAKOTXA
01-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Homework assignment, push someone in the ass with your hand for 1.5 seconds and see if they fall. Someone big...
You're kidding...

"Someone big" Russell was about MJ's size, if not smaller. I've played 9-10 years of organized basketball, i might know a thing or two about pushing players, lol.

OldSchoolBBall
01-02-2012, 07:51 PM

Watching at the normal game speed, it is OBVIOUS to anyone who has ANY understanding of physics and momentum that Jordan's hand being placed on Russell's LOWER ASS/UPPER THIGH for less than a second during the portion of the defensive slide Russell was in COULD NOT HAVE accounted for the slip by Russell. This is so obvious that it's a JOKE that people think that this miniscule contact could cause a 215+ pound man to fall over. Freaking agendas. :oldlol:

Kblaze8855
01-02-2012, 07:58 PM
He pushed him. Nobody questioned it then and nobody not trying to make a point that doesnt need making questions it now. Why does it even matter if he pushed him? Is someone dumb enough to think Jordan(or anyone else) never got a good break on a big play?

Jordan has admitted he pushed him. People get pushed playing basketball. Daily. some are called some arent. Rarely in situation like that.

bwink23
01-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Watching at the normal game speed, it is OBVIOUS to anyone who has ANY understanding of physics and momentum that Jordan's hand being placed on Russell's LOWER ASS/UPPER THIGH for less than a second during the portion of the defensive slide Russell was in COULD NOT HAVE accounted for the slip by Russell. This is so obvious that it's a JOKE that people think that this miniscule contact could cause a 215+ pound man to fall over. Freaking agendas. :oldlol:

No kidding...meanwhile those same dudes want to ignore the fact that Russell had his forearm firmly planted in Jordan's side, another good no-call i might add.

bwink23
01-02-2012, 08:03 PM
He pushed him. Nobody questioned it then and nobody not trying to make a point that doesnt need making questions it now. Why does it even matter if he pushed him? Is someone dumb enough to think Jordan(or anyone else) never got a good break on a big play?

Jordan has admitted he pushed him. People get pushed playing basketball. Daily. some are called some arent. Rarely in situation like that.

I'd like a source to Jordan admitting that he pushed him...cuz i'm sure i can find one where he says he didn't.....not like he would admit to it anyway...

The whole POINT of the thread is...the fact that Jordan did that same move on other players 100 times without a call...the video is EVIDENCE of this...which only reinforces that fact that it was a GOOD no-call.

Orlando Magic
01-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Even if he tried to push him in that scenario... it was his weak arm and he was dribbling the ball with his strong one. It's absurd to think he could make him fly that hard off balance even if he did push him. At least 90% of what made him fall like that was the fact that Jordan shook him out of his shoes. Even without contact from the left hand that would have happened anyways.

LJJ
01-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Anyone got an example of anything similar to what Jordan did getting called as an offensive foul ever?

305Baller
01-02-2012, 08:10 PM
great video. That was a go-to move so even if he pushd a little the refs were not going to call it.

stephanieg
01-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Agree that Jordan didn't push him off. If I were a Utah fan I'd be more pissed at the refs letting Rodman tackle Malone all series long and the 3s that should've been 2s for the Bulls and vice versa.

Teanett
01-02-2012, 08:26 PM
superstar call

jlip
01-02-2012, 08:27 PM
It doesn't take any real strength to push somebody in the same direction that they were already moving in. When a person is moving in one direction, especially very quickly like basketball players, they are also slightly off balanced. They are not flat footed, stationary, and resisting the force. Obviously Russell trying to recover after the crossover contributed to him slipping, but let's not act like Russell was some 6'6"250 lb stationary statue and MJ barely touched him.

It's like pushing a 1,000 lb car. If the car is in park on a level surface with the emergency brake on, then odds are not even three moderately strong men are pushing it anywhere. But if that same 1,000 lb car is dangling off the edge of a cliff, then the slightest bump by one man can knock it in the direction that it's already leaning.

There are more factors involved in the effects of a push that just the strength of the one who pushes and the weight of what is being pushed.

bwink23
01-02-2012, 08:28 PM
i just edited the thread, i included a video with Jordan saying he did not push off on Russell, and Russell was there to hear it. And just like he did when it actually happened, he didn't whine about it, not to MJ or to the referees.

305Baller
01-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Also, wasn't all of this happening in the hand-check era anyways? The players could ward off with their arm on defense and perhaps offense too.

JohnnyWall
01-02-2012, 08:29 PM
32Dayz, on second thought, you should stick to Kobe threads. You at least have the potential to be entertaining in those.

Yung D-Will
01-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Clear offensive foul. No matter how you look at it. And I find it funny they always replay it like it's some sort of accomplishment to clearly push a defender and hit a jumpshot.

And before you say it yes... I am mad.

bwink23
01-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Clear offensive foul. No matter how you look at it. And I find it funny they always replay it like it's some sort of accomplishment to clearly push a defender and hit a jumpshot.

And before you say it yes... I am mad.

NOT if it is never called....this isn't the 2000's of no-touch basketball on the perimeter.

Yung D-Will
01-02-2012, 08:39 PM
NOT if it is never called....this isn't the 2000's of no-touch basketball on the perimeter.
F the no-touch basketball but flat out pushing some one so you can get an open shot should be a foul no matter what era.. You might as well just pull off a bruce bowen kick to get open.

Blue&Orange
01-02-2012, 08:41 PM
You're kidding...

"Someone big" Russell was about MJ's size, if not smaller. I've played 9-10 years of organized basketball, i might know a thing or two about pushing players, lol.
I give you the "someone big".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdPQ3QxDZ1s

If you're so good at physics, you should clearly understand by watching the above video that Jordan contact was minimal and an absolute no factor in the separation.

lol the refs calling offensive foul on a ankle breaker.

mlh1981
01-02-2012, 08:43 PM
They should just go back and reenact the whole thing if they are uncertain. A "do over" if you will.

bwink23
01-02-2012, 08:46 PM
F the no-touch basketball but flat out pushing some one so you can get an open shot should be a foul no matter what era.. You might as well just pull off a bruce bowen kick to get open.

Maybe you didn't watch the video i posted...Jordan did this move alot and it was never called...this isn't the 2000's, the game was called differently back then...you couldn't be a powder-puff on the perimeter.

Apparently you missed where B-Russ had his forearm dug into MJ's side...that too would be a foul call today, but back then it wasn't...2 GOOD no-calls..

SAKOTXA
01-02-2012, 08:46 PM

If you're so good at physics, you should clearly understand by watching the above video that Jordan contact was minimal and an absolute no factor in the separation.

That someone big was MJ's size. So it would be the equivalent of me doing it to someone my size. Which is so easy that i can't believe i'm arguing this. :oldlol:

It was a foul, that is it.

bwink23
01-02-2012, 08:50 PM
That someone big was MJ's size. So it would be the equivalent of me doing it to someone my size. Which is so easy that i can't believe i'm arguing this. :oldlol:

It was a foul, that is it.

No you couldn't....anyways, watching the video you'll see Jordan doesn't even extend his arm, he "short arms" the little butt patt yet Russell continues to fly out of the play...that's not indicative of any type of hard shove....:facepalm

Blue&Orange
01-02-2012, 08:50 PM

I was agreeing with you that the "someone big" didn't made sense.

Cali Syndicate
01-02-2012, 09:45 PM
Tricks of the trade....

which Jordan was a master of.

Kiarip
01-02-2012, 09:48 PM

Even just a little extra unexpected force is way more than enough to make the defender slip as he's trying to stop...

Jordan did this all the time and it never got called it's really hard to notice for the refs, it technically is a foul though. If you look at the link in the original post, where Jordan is driving on Ehlo... he clearly pushes Elho's knee with his off-hand.

Not only does this push the defender, but it also helps you yourself stop on the pull-up. It's a clever trick, it won't really get called unless you make it too obvious

Cali Syndicate
01-02-2012, 09:55 PM
No you couldn't....anyways, watching the video you'll see Jordan doesn't even extend his arm, he "short arms" the little butt patt yet Russell continues to fly out of the play...that's not indicative of any type of hard shove....:facepalm

It was more than a little tap.

It was a hard move to the right by Jordan and he stopped on a dime, Russell's momentum was still moving in that direction and a small shove was just to make it more difficult for him to stop with him.

Jordan did many things that refs usually won't catch in real time. But on slow mo replays those things may look more blatantly apparent like it did for this case.

Not really a shove but definitely more than a tap.

bwink23
01-02-2012, 11:05 PM
It was more than a little tap.

It was a hard move to the right by Jordan and he stopped on a dime, Russell's momentum was still moving in that direction and a small shove was just to make it more difficult for him to stop with him.

Jordan did many things that refs usually won't catch in real time. But on slow mo replays those things may look more blatantly apparent like it did for this case.

Not really a shove but definitely more than a tap.

It wasn't anything spectacular by any means. B-Russ was toast on the pull-up, not from any "Push-off". If any foul call was gonna happen there it would be on Russell for sticking his forearm in Jordan's side on the drive, which occurred before anything Jordan did....Refs made the right call, let the men play and the chips fall where they may.

JerrySteakhouse
01-03-2012, 01:19 AM
Sick video

guy
01-03-2012, 01:30 AM
Was it a foul? Maybe. Was it a foul that was usually called? Probably not. Did it really have any effect on Jordan's ability to make that shot? Not at all. So it really is some bullshit that haters just hold onto.

By the way, to Jazz fans/Bulls haters, the Karl Malone football block on Clyde Drexler in the 97 WCF that allowed Stockton to get an open series winning threepointer and the blatant Reggie Miller shove on Jordan in the 98 ECF was far worse.

Cali Syndicate
01-03-2012, 05:32 AM
It wasn't anything spectacular by any means. B-Russ was toast on the pull-up, not from any "Push-off". If any foul call was gonna happen there it would be on Russell for sticking his forearm in Jordan's side on the drive, which occurred before anything Jordan did....Refs made the right call, let the men play and the chips fall where they may.

I didn't say it was a "spectacular play." I'm just saying Jordan did a lot of things that refs would never catch in real time....this push is one of them.

And yes Jordan would have had a clean look even without the push but he did give Russell a push.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ra9ni9_C7A&t=0m7s

Does saying he did take away from his greatness? No.

Like Guy said does the push create the look? No.

But there is no denying he gave Russell a push.

And the push is what evidently caused Russell to stumble forward.

Watch the tape and keep an eye on Russell as soon as Jordan pushes him against his momentum.

SlayerEnraged
01-03-2012, 05:50 AM
LOL i thought hand checking was allowed back then but ur here whinin about his hand on him? Along with that, JOrdan pushed off. U don't needa be storng to push a man who's off balance down. If he didn't push him then instead of being 5 feet open and having the man on the floor, Russel probably woulda only been 2-3 feet away and certainly not all the way on the floor like that. That coulda thrown Jordan off and been the difference between a make and miss.

mentallooser
01-03-2012, 06:03 AM
Still had to make the shot. Epic no matter how you look at it. Dirty players don't bother me if they can still make the shot.

jstern
01-03-2012, 07:52 AM
Come on people. I just looked at the video from the side view, Jordan was simply bringing his left hand down, to be able to get the ball as he was crossing it over. You know, he has to catch the ball with his left hand.

This is one of those things that amazes how some people would rather believe that Jordan with super human strength (Goku) pushed Russell down, because he would need it to be able to push him down that way, rather than what looks so obvious to me. Jordan doing a penetrating jab step, stopping on a dime as he was going full speed ahead, and then Russell who's going forward, has all his momentum going forward, desperately trying to get back to contest such a critical shot, considering the moment.

If Jordan would have pushed him with the strength to affect Russel, then he would have been off balance.

bwink23
01-03-2012, 02:46 PM
LOL i thought hand checking was allowed back then but ur here whinin about his hand on him? Along with that, JOrdan pushed off. U don't needa be storng to push a man who's off balance down. If he didn't push him then instead of being 5 feet open and having the man on the floor, Russel probably woulda only been 2-3 feet away and certainly not all the way on the floor like that. That coulda thrown Jordan off and been the difference between a make and miss.

It was allowed more often back then son....Hence the no-calls on both sides of the ball...i was saying that if any call was going to be made there, the forearm would have happened FIRST. But the refs let MEN PLAY BALL. You need to check the video i posted before flapping your gums...Jordan hit 9 different dudes with the SAME MOVE and it was never called any of those times, so WHY SHOULD IT HAVE HAPPENED THEN ?? :hammerhead:

guy
01-03-2012, 03:00 PM

Not entirely sure about that. He was already in that direction anyway, him trying to just catch himself once Jordan pulled back might've caused him to slip. Either way, the whole sequence is overblown. Like I said, there's been much worse no-calls in important games during that era alone.

bwink23
01-03-2012, 03:03 PM
I didn't say it was a "spectacular play." I'm just saying Jordan did a lot of things that refs would never catch in real time....this push is one of them.

And yes Jordan would have had a clean look even without the push but he did give Russell a push.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ra9ni9_C7A&t=0m7s

Does saying he did take away from his greatness? No.

Like Guy said does the push create the look? No.

But there is no denying he gave Russell a push.

Watch the tape and keep an eye on Russell as soon as Jordan pushes him against his momentum.

I've watched it all...he did nothing different vs. the other guys i posted with the same move, ALL NO CALLS....was Russell's forearm in Jordan's side a foul or not???

Asukal
01-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Who cares if he pushed off? Fact is there was no call. Maybe because he was Michael Jordan I dunno but still he still had to make the shot afterwards. Wade and Lebron's flopping to get calls is waaaaaaay more disgusting really. :facepalm

bwink23
01-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Not entirely sure about that. He was already in that direction anyway, him trying to just catch himself once Jordan pulled back might've caused him to slip. Either way, the whole sequence is overblown. Like I said, there's been much worse no-calls in important games during that era alone.

Russell's legs crossed over trying to catch Jordan was what caused the slip, not any "push-off"....

bwink23
01-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Who cares if he pushed off? Fact is there was no call. Maybe because he was Michael Jordan I dunno but still he still had to make the shot afterwards. Wade and Lebron's flopping to get calls is waaaaaaay more disgusting really. :facepalm

People who believe this "push-off" that occurred WANT to think it should have been called, but in reality it was the right call made. I'm just disppelling the MYTH behind the events....Jordan did it all the time with no offensive foul called before...and the forearm in the side was also a good no-call, yet you'll NEVER see anyone bring that one up.

kidachi
01-03-2012, 03:12 PM
I think MJ pushed him a little.. Russell's momentum made it look a hard "push"..

swi7ch
01-03-2012, 03:28 PM
GOAT

Would average at least 60 in today's weak game.

swi7ch
01-03-2012, 03:29 PM
I think MJ pushed him a little.. Russell's momentum made it look a hard "push"..
Go to 6:28 of the first vid. Defenders were flying farther than Russell and not one call against Jordan. Most of the vids were as early as 1988 and the push off happened in 1998. In 10 years, nobody was calling that a foul against Jordan.

TheFan
01-03-2012, 04:05 PM
sometimes i see a clear push, sometimes i see russell going down with the momentum.

i feel the answer is in the middle, Jordan pushed, but Russell tried to oversell it.

MiseryCityTexas
01-03-2012, 05:15 PM
people forgot that reggie miller did the same exact push on jordan and got away with it in 98. matter of fact miller's push on jordan was alot worst. reggie rushed that ***** jordan like a linebacker and hit the three. no foul called.

andgar923
01-03-2012, 05:18 PM
Yeah he pushed, get over it.

Still would've hit the shot, still the GOAT.

People always trying to find anything to diminish his legacy.

SAKOTXA
01-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Yeah he pushed, get over it.

Still would've hit the shot, still the GOAT.

People always trying to find anything to diminish his legacy.
I don't understand where you guys are getting this from. In my lifetime, i have never seen anybody try to diminish his legacy because of the push...

andgar923
01-03-2012, 05:50 PM
I don't understand where you guys are getting this from. In my lifetime, i have never seen anybody try to diminish his legacy because of the push...
:rolleyes:

Xyph
01-03-2012, 05:51 PM

Quality post :rolleyes:

305Baller
01-03-2012, 05:53 PM
clearly this.

SAKOTXA
01-03-2012, 05:54 PM
What? Can't come up with anything?

I've seen people say that it was an offensive foul, which is right, but nobody denies the fact that he's the GOAT. Even if he missed that shot, and eventually lost the series, he would still be considered the greatest basketball player of all time. It's just that MJ fanboys create this illusion that everybody is after their flawless god.

305Baller
01-03-2012, 05:59 PM
the thing is his late-career (not counting wizards) flawlessness is part of the legend. the dude did not make mistakes, except for the Orlando series. But that was the 45 Jordan which is very much an asterick.

SlayerEnraged
01-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Kiddo no matter what era u play in thats a foul. U can't use ur off arm to push a defender. The mere fact that he broke the rule means it shouldn't have been a basket. It doesn't matter if it woulda gone in with or without the push. If u break a rule u break a rule and technically it should have been an offensive foul. Big men in the post all the time now do hook shots and stuff like that and try using their off arm to prevent the defender from blocking or altering their shot. It's an offensive foul and all the time cause u CAN'T use ur off arm like that legally. It doesn't diminish MJ's legacy bt it was an offensive foul period.

305Baller
01-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Kiddo no matter what era u play in thats a foul. U can't use ur off arm to push a defender. The mere fact that he broke the rule means it shouldn't have been a basket. It doesn't matter if it woulda gone in with or without the push. If u break a rule u break a rule and technically it should have been an offensive foul. Big men in the post all the time now do hook shots and stuff like that and try using their off arm to prevent the defender from blocking or altering their shot. It's an offensive foul and all the time cause u CAN'T use ur off arm like that legally. It doesn't diminish MJ's legacy bt it was an offensive foul period.

Not a foul. Minor contact.

Jordan's final shot as a bull. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRCTp57LQro)

bwink23
01-03-2012, 06:34 PM

So did Russell, per the WRITTEN RULES, foul Jordan with the forearm in the side or NOT??? Refs with the good no-call on both sides...MEN PLAY BALL.

bwink23
05-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Bump It.

LBJMVP
05-12-2012, 09:28 PM
people forgot that reggie miller did the same exact push on jordan and got away with it in 98. matter of fact miller's push on jordan was alot worst. reggie rushed that ***** jordan like a linebacker and hit the three. no foul called.

yeah, the reggie miller shot was a two hand shove too. and to my knowledge jordan has never said anything about that being a push.

i love the top comment on the video to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5drIn3aLco

bdreason
05-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Obvious offensive foul, but oh well. Doesn't change anything in regards to Jordan's dominance and legacy.

swi7ch
05-12-2012, 09:33 PM
yeah, the reggie miller shot was a two hand shove too. and to my knowledge jordan has never said anything about that being a push.

i love the top comment on the video to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5drIn3aLco

That's because he is the GOAT. Jordan knows that although Miller beat him that night, he will beat Miller more when it's all said and done.

bwink23
05-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Obvious offensive foul, but oh well. Doesn't change anything in regards to Jordan's dominance and legacy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW_SrjKVxIo#t=06m29s

SAME MOVE 8 different times....NEVER CALLED.

Kobe 4 The Win
05-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Here's my thing. I think Jordan clearly pushed off of Russell.

But, it doesn't matter because Russell had over-reacted to Jordans move so much that his intire body going the other way. Jordan shook him pretty hard. By that time there wasn't a damn thing Russell could do because all of his momentum was going that way. He wasn't going to recover to contest that shot and as such, I don't think you can make the pushing off call.

tmacattack33
05-12-2012, 10:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW_SrjKVxIo

Go to 6:28 of the video....For those who insist Jordan threw Russell on his ass in the 1998 Finals...the video above shows Jordan doing the same move on 9 different defenders, not one of them whistled for a foul. Just a little perspective to give in regards to that situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPTFK_sGWgE

Go to 30 seconds of the video...Jordan says he DID NOT PUSH OFF on Bryon Russell, with B-Russ right behind him in the house....PEACE

I think he did push off Russell a little.

But I also think that Russell just got beat by a great cross-over/stop-on- a-dime move by MJ and even if Jordan were to not touch Russell, Russell would have kept going in the other direction because that's where his momentum was taking him.

I also know for sure that Jordan still made the 17 foot jump shot straight off of a great move and few people would have been able to gather their balance and center themselves so smoothly and make that shot. The push off had nothing to do with that part of the play.

jstern
05-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Here's my thing. I think Jordan clearly pushed off of Russell.

But, it doesn't matter because Russell had over-reacted to Jordans move so much that his intire body going the other way. Jordan shook him pretty hard. By that time there wasn't a damn thing Russell could do because all of his momentum was going that way. He wasn't going to recover to contest that shot and as such, I don't think you can make the pushing off call.

I think Jordan caressed Russell's lower right ass cheek as his hand was coming down. Perhaps it's because the angle that I have on my computer is not the usual one on youtube, but I just don't understand how people can think that was a push off. Jordan would have to be super hero strong. And if he was then Russell would have fallen a different way. Since it was the lower ass cheek that he touched, if Michael Jordan was some how strong enough to do anything, then Russell's back would have come back as his pelvic area goes forward. Judging from the angle that I have. Plus Jordan hand was coming down to reach for the ball, so most of the pressure would have been on Russell's thigh, which again would have made him fall much more differently. No pressure really, cause the hand was coming down to grab the ball.

OldSchoolBBall
05-12-2012, 11:55 PM
I think Jordan caressed Russell's lower right ass cheek as his hand was coming down. Perhaps it's because the angle that I have on my computer is not the usual one on youtube, but I just don't understand how people can think that was a push off. Jordan would have to be super hero strong. And if he was then Russell would have fallen a different way. Since it was the lower ass cheek that he touched, if Michael Jordan was some how strong enough to do anything, then Russell's back would have come back as his pelvic area goes forward. Judging from the angle that I have. Plus Jordan hand was coming down to reach for the ball, so most of the pressure would have been on Russell's thigh, which again would have made him fall much more differently. No pressure really, cause the hand was coming down to grab the ball.

Hands grabbing balls, people caressing ass cheeks, pelvic thrusts - this post reads like a porno. :oldlol:

jstern
05-13-2012, 01:44 AM
Hands grabbing balls, people caressing ass cheeks, pelvic thrusts - this post reads like a porno. :oldlol:

Wow. You're so right. I didn't even realized it. It felt weird writing caressing Russell's right ass cheek, but I didn't know how else to describe it. And then pelvic, grabbing balls. That kind of porn was the furthest thing from my mind though.

KingMichael23
05-13-2012, 01:46 AM
Al Harrington got nothing on Mike.