PDA

View Full Version : Stats: Kevin Durant has been a better defender than Lebron James this season

StateOfMind12
01-03-2012, 03:42 AM
I am not sure if I really believe this myself but I would like to say that Kevin Durant has improved significantly defensively this season. It shows on the advanced defensive stats. Durant has improved so much defensively that at this moment Durant has had better defensive stats than Lebron.

The first one is Durant's defensive stats and the second one is Lebron's defensive stats.

http://i.imgur.com/TpXB2.jpg

These defensive stats were found on mySynergySports.com. It is a very credible source for advanced statistics for offense and defense.

Collie
01-03-2012, 03:48 AM
What does %SF mean?

Clippersfan86
01-03-2012, 03:55 AM
Chris Paul>Derrick Rose defensively too.

SuperPippen
01-03-2012, 03:59 AM
Chris Paul>Derrick Rose defensively too.

....does that have any relevance to this thread?

Tenchi Ryu
01-03-2012, 04:03 AM
:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

Clippersfan86
01-03-2012, 04:06 AM

A ton. He's showing a Sports Synergy chart..... I compared the two considering Bulls fans think Rose has a big defensive edge. It showed CP3 has a pretty clear edge. It's on the topic of Sports Synergy/defense.

Stat & Melo
01-03-2012, 04:06 AM

No, that's just him justifying to himself trading Kaman, Gordon and twolves 1st round unprotected pick in a really deep draft for a fat, out of shape cp3.

Miserio
01-03-2012, 04:07 AM
A ton. He's showing a Sports Synergy chart..... I compared the two considering Bulls fans think Rose has a big defensive edge. It showed CP3 has a pretty clear edge. It's on the topic of Sports Synergy/defense.
No is not, don't be a b1tch, and Rose is 10 times the defensive player Paul is, don't be a delusional spoiled little brat. The end, back to the topic, Durant has improved a lot this year, he stays with his man and he should use his big hands to alter more shots.

Clippersfan86
01-03-2012, 04:13 AM
No, that's just him justifying to himself trading Kaman, Gordon and twolves 1st round unprotected pick in a really deep draft for a fat, out of shape cp3.

:cheers: ... Gordon is already injured, Kaman is riding the pine and Minnesota looks really good right now and like they might make playoffs. Yup... I'm bitter and trying to justify :oldlol: .

InspiredLebowski
01-03-2012, 04:32 AM
sample size

StateOfMind12
01-03-2012, 04:36 AM
What does %SF mean?
Shots fouled. I found out by clicking the number underlined in blue for %SF. The videos showed fouls so I suspect it just means shot fouls percentage.

InspiredLebowski
01-03-2012, 04:37 AM
In b4 the apologists.... oh wait.apologists and realists aren't the same thing

Whoah10115
01-03-2012, 04:39 AM
Anyone not talking about Durant's defense vs. Lebron's just be quiet. Chris Paul has nothing to do with this thread. Gordon has nothing to do with this thread. Derrick Rose has nothing to do with this thread. Stop being so annoying.

I noticed in the first few games how good Durant's iso defense looked. Maybe not this year, but next year I expect Durant to become a great defender.

I always thought Lebron was getting overrated as a defender. This guy was the runner up for DPOTY in 2009 and that's just ridiculous. He'd become a great defender over 3 seasons but it was going overboard. But in the playoffs he took it up and if you watch him this season his activity off the ball is pretty remarkable. So the answer is no, there is no way Durant is as good or has been as good this year, defensively. Defensive breakdowns and synergy and all that equals who gives a shit.

But Durant has been very good.

Lebron23
01-03-2012, 04:41 AM
Can't wait to see how gino (dmavs) will spin this... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Watch some games. Get Kobe's balls out of your face. You couldn't see clearly. LeBron is playing some solid defense this season. (2.4 spg, and 1.4 bpg). When LeBron is sitting on the bench the heat is struggling defensively.

Bladers
01-03-2012, 04:42 AM
So the answer is no, there is no way Durant is as good or has been as good this year, defensively. Defensive breakdowns and synergy and all that equals who gives a shit.

But Durant has been very good.

LOL @ this apologist... you can't cling to per and ts and all that bullshit and also discredit advanced defensive stats cause they are one and the same, either uphold both or none. But but "Lebron is a great defender."

keep preaching the hype brah :roll: :roll: :roll: :facepalm

DMAVS41
01-03-2012, 05:12 AM
Can't wait to see how gino (dmavs) will spin this... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Spin what?

Durant has been solid defensively this year.....why do you think I would care about that?

Lebron's numbers are very good as well. And Lebron is also the better help/weak side/transition defender.

You act like Lebron isn't playing very good defense so far this year. Durant just happens to be playing some quality defense as well.

LOL

Whoah10115
01-03-2012, 05:20 AM
LOL @ this apologist... you can't cling to per and ts and all that bullshit and also discredit advanced defensive stats cause they are one and the same, either uphold both or none. But but "Lebron is a great defender."

keep preaching the hype brah :roll: :roll: :roll: :facepalm

I don't remember ever paying any credence, much less "clinging", to per or TS or any that other "bullshit". In fact, I just posted earlier that outside of blocks and steals I don't pay attention to any of these advanced statistics. Not that steals and blocks tell the story, but they're relevant statistics and big bits to add to the whole.

I said that the thing that has been really impressive about Lebron's defense, in the playoffs and particularly this year, is his activity off the ball. I didn't say anything about any statistics, but in fact about actually watching the game.

Thank you.

pauk
01-03-2012, 05:36 AM
How is this a delusional/fantasy statement when I am using statistics to back up my case? :oldlol: You are just mad that someone is better than Lebron at something.

Its delusional/fantasy statement considering:

1. Lebron has been MUCH better defender 24-7.. to the point where it would be outrageous saying somebody like that sceletor is a better (and not to mention versatile) defender....
2. You didnt include all the defensive stats (like defensive winshares: http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/dws_top_10.html) nor do you care about the visual... as in watching the actual games (even if you did, your blinded biased mind wouldnt care about what was going on in order to boost your delusional/fantasy statement instead)

there u go

StateOfMind12
01-03-2012, 05:38 AM
Its delusional/fantasy statement considering:

1. Lebron has been MUCH better defender 24-7.. to the point where it would be outrageous saying somebody like that sceletor is a better (and not to mention versatile) defender....
2. You didnt include all the defensive stats nor do you care about the visual... as in watching the actual games (even if you did, your blinded biased mind wouldnt care about what was going on in order to boost your delusional/fantasy statement instead)

there u go
So you pretty much have nothing? Yeah I'll stick to the credible stats that I found from a site sponsored by NBA.com. It shows you that Durant is a better defender than LBJ does this season. It at least shows that Durant is the better man defender since offensive players have an easier time scoring against Lebron than they do with Durant.

magnax1
01-03-2012, 05:41 AM
Durant has definitely not been better then Lebron. Nor has he even been good. He's actually looked really bad on D so far. I don't know if I just never noticed how bad he is, but he really is terrible this season.

nbaballllller
01-03-2012, 08:03 AM
Man to man defence lebron has been lazy this season. He doesnt make much effort to stay infront of his man.

When lebron goes full out he is a great defender who can defend all 5 positions (obviously depending on who is playing what position), but ive been disappointed with his effort so far this season.

He is definitely a better defender than durant but durant does have the phsique to become better and better (like he is doing)

Sarcastic
01-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Stop calling it a season. It's been 1 week!!!

jlip
01-03-2012, 08:26 AM

Best post of this thread!
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Eric Cartman
01-03-2012, 08:46 AM

I applaud u sir.

:bowdown: :applause:

creepingdeath
01-03-2012, 09:36 AM
Durant has definitely not been better then Lebron. Nor has he even been good. He's actually looked really bad on D so far. I don't know if I just never noticed how bad he is, but he really is terrible this season.
/This :facepalm

kkling
01-03-2012, 10:04 AM
We must be watching different games, because Durant is just as bad as he always has been.

StateOfMind12
01-03-2012, 12:08 PM
We must be watching different games, because Durant is just as bad as he always has been.
I am not basing this on the games I have watched this season although Durant does look like he has improved defensively. I am basing this statement on the stats used by Synergy Sports, and that site is sponsored by NBA.com. I suggest you take it for what it is worth. They also have video examples on that site of what happened. If you have an account on that site you could watch each and every video of their offense and defense, if you don't have an account on that site you can only watch 3 videos of each category listed.

Clutch
01-03-2012, 12:19 PM
If that site is reliable Tyson Chandler has been a better defender than Dwight so far.

madmax
01-03-2012, 12:23 PM
sorry brah, but I find it hard to believe

pegasus
01-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Well, you live by the stats, you die by the stats.

dunksby
01-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Lebron fans have repeated this little dirty lie that Lebron is a great defender so much they seem to believe it themselves. Lebron has never been a great defender neither Duran for that matter but those who claim Durant has not improved dont watch Durant games.

Clutch
01-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Lebron fans have repeated this little dirty lie that Lebron is a great defender so much they seem to believe it themselves. Lebron has never been a great defender neither Duran for that matter but those who claim Durant has not improved dont watch Durant games.
Durant improved his defense,there's no question about it.

I'm not even OKC fan but you could see that from an airplane.

c3z4r
01-03-2012, 01:39 PM
durant has tremendously improved his D, but being better than lebron right now is not really a great accomplishment, because lebron is not focusing on D in the regular season, or at least not often. Most often than not i only see him trying to play real d in the 4th quarter.

Lebron23
01-03-2012, 02:19 PM
I hope we see the Heat and Thunder in the NBA Finals. LeBron is going to abuse Durant in the playoffs. (offensively and defensively). He always put some quality numbers againts the thunder in their head to head matchup.

pegasus
01-03-2012, 02:32 PM
I hope we see the Heat and Thunder in the NBA Finals. LeBron is going to abuse Durant in the playoffs. (offensively and defensively). He always put some quality numbers againts the thunder in their head to head matchup.

Well, it was Durant who abused him last year in their last match-up, and I can see that happening more than the opposite scenario from now on. His ability to shoot over anyone and close out games, is what separates him from Lebron.

Nash
01-03-2012, 02:40 PM
All Defensive NBA 1st team: 2009, 2010, 2011.

Yeah, just something Lebron stans fabricated.

StateOfMind12
01-03-2012, 02:42 PM
All Defensive NBA 1st team: 2009, 2010, 2011.

Yeah, just something Lebron stans fabricated.
You want to know who else was on those teams? Kobe Bryant. Kobe did deserve that honor in 2009 but 2010 and 2011 he had absolutely not right to be on there. That honor doesn't hold as much merit as it should, not to mention it is just other people's opinions.

Rnbizzle
01-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Margin of 5 games.. :bowdown:

Nash
01-03-2012, 02:48 PM
You want to know who else was on those teams? Kobe Bryant. Kobe did deserve that honor in 2009 but 2010 and 2011 he had absolutely not right to be on there. That honor doesn't hold as much merit as it should, not to mention it is just other people's opinions.
What is it you want to say though? Lebron is a great defender, was a big part of the best defense last year and performed really well defensively in the playoffs. Its widely known and accepted that Lebron is a great defender by experts and people who know the game better than me or you.

StateOfMind12
01-03-2012, 02:53 PM
What is it you want to say though? Lebron is a great defender, was a big part of the best defense last year and performed really well defensively in the playoffs. Its widely known and accepted that Lebron is a great defender by experts and people who know the game better than me or you.
I am telling you that what you that the point you made holds no value.

sorry brah, but I find it hard to believe
You find it hard to believe even though on that site they show you the actual game footage as evidence. You also find it hard to believe even though that site is sponsored by NBA.com? :oldlol:

I guess this is the only time LeBron fans don't like stats.

dunksby
01-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Do you really believe this shit you are reiterating over and over? Lebron has been the best player in the league for years but he has never been a great defender, if LBJ was a great defender and part of the BEST defense last year they would have shut down the Mavs and won the title.

Nash
01-03-2012, 02:57 PM
I am telling you that what you that the point you made holds no value.

You find it hard to believe even though on that site they show you the actual game footage as evidence. You also find it hard to believe even though that site is sponsored by NBA.com? :oldlol:

I guess this is the only time LeBron fans don't like stats.You got stats for what, 6 games? That shows what? Also Miami are running more this season and are playing more offense than defense.

If those stats are the same after the playoffs when defense really matters, then I guess you're right.

Nash
01-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Do you really believe this shit you are reiterating over and over? Lebron has been the best player in the league for years but he has never been a great defender, if LBJ was a great defender and part of the BEST defense last year they would have shut down the Mavs and won the title.
Because the Mavs offense was better and simply amazing?

StateOfMind12
01-03-2012, 02:58 PM
You got stats for what, 6 games? That shows what? Also Miami are running more this season and are playing more offense than defense.

If those stats are the same after the playoffs when defense really matters, then I guess you're right.
Maybe you should re-read the thread title.

Here is what it says.

Stats: Kevin Durant has been a better defender than Lebron James this season

What does it say at the end? :rolleyes:

PurpGold34
01-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Does that "Nash" loser ever talk about Steve Nash and the Suns? It's hilarious that his name is Nash and he is a bigger Lebron fan than he is a Nash fan. DuMa, you fail.

dunksby
01-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Because the Mavs offense was better and simply amazing?
:roll: :roll:

Nash
01-03-2012, 03:02 PM
Does that "Nash" loser ever talk about Steve Nash and the Suns? It's hilarious that his name is Nash and he is a bigger Lebron fan than he is a Nash fan. DuMa, you fail.
I am not a fan of the Suns. I'm a fan of Nash, and also I'm a fan of Lebron.

L8kersfan222
01-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Nash getting outright destroyed...

StateOfMind12
01-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Another week has past by and it looks like Durant is still having better defensive statistics than Lebron this season.

The first one on the list is LeBron James this time and the second on the list is Kevin Durant.

http://i.imgur.com/m5aQw.jpg

Heavincent
01-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Well, you live by the stats, you die by the stats.

:applause:

OKCThunderUP
01-10-2012, 02:20 AM
Those stats are pretty meaningless in context of things. KD has been very average on defense this season.

ILLsmak
01-10-2012, 02:25 AM
Those stats are pretty meaningless in context of things. KD has been very average on defense this season.

And it's easy to play D when you have two good bigs behind you.

-Smak

MASH Transit
01-10-2012, 02:38 AM

No he hasn't. Durant has been great on defense. He still has lapses and gambles too much, but outside of that, no gripes this way.

OKCThunderUP
01-10-2012, 02:44 AM
No he hasn't. Durant has been great on defense. He still has lapses and gambles too much, but outside of that, no gripes this way.

He's been trying to play help defender too often and gets himself completely lost in coverage. He's seen much better days defensively.

CardiacKemba
01-10-2012, 03:11 AM
What I read from that is that Lebron forces his opponent to take fewer shots and turn the ball over more? They must be passing the ball away. I think they call that defensive pressure. I could be wrong.

Durant has improved his defense, definitely. Why do we need to compare him to James though?

OKCThunderUP
01-10-2012, 03:39 AM
What I read from that is that Lebron forces his opponent to take fewer shots and turn the ball over more? They must be passing the ball away. I think they call that defensive pressure. I could be wrong.

Durant has improved his defense, definitely. Why do we need to compare him to James though?

Great question. He'll never be as good as James defensively. He just doesn't have the tools necessary to guard players several inches shorter than him. He's physically incapable of it.

pauk
01-10-2012, 03:56 AM
Another week has past by and it looks like Durant is still having better defensive statistics than Lebron this season.

The first one on the list is LeBron James this time and the second on the list is Kevin Durant.

http://i.imgur.com/m5aQw.jpg

how does this stupid stat work? i mean... does it measure:

man-to-man / perimeter / post & help defense and the IQ side of it?
lateral quickness
deflections/denials/charges?
versatility (when defending-shutting down other positions?)
clutch defense (turning it up an extra notch when it matters in the 4th?)
gambling fail or success on the passing lanes or going for blocks?

or is that stat just like i suspected... locked to one position and can only measure how the opponent (from only your position) SHOOTS against you....?

these lebron haters... man.... you try so hard... soooooo hard....

I.R.Beast
01-10-2012, 04:04 AM
Chris Paul has never been a good defender...he reaches to much and gambles for too many steals

pauk
01-10-2012, 05:33 AM
Durants defense > Dwights defense aswell.............. :rolleyes:

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc500/pauk666/Untitled-2-4.png

InspiredLebowski
01-10-2012, 05:34 AM
how old are you stupid ****s?

pauk
01-10-2012, 05:36 AM
so admin u gona delete this thread aswell since u delete mine showing how Durants epic defense is better than Dwights to?

admin hates me :cry: :mad:

InspiredLebowski
01-10-2012, 05:37 AM
the one with the exact same idiotic argument as the same post you just made? this entire thread is full of retards, you don't need to create another thread to showcase you idiots. i wish i could ban 95% of this thread.

pauk
01-10-2012, 05:38 AM
the one with the exact same idiotic argument as the same post you just made? this entire thread is full of retards, you don't need to create another thread to showcase you idiots.

i see :D yea... this is crazy... i guess we can keep it up just for lols

Dave3
01-10-2012, 06:00 AM
You know, that OP actually convinced me that Durant is a better defender than LeBron.

Just a few more points though that I assume you'd agree with:

Stats: LeBron better 3 point shooter and way better midrange shooter than Kobe in 2011
Stats: LeBron better midrange shooter than Kobe, Melo, Durant, and Paul Pierce over last few years
Stats: Kevin Love >>>>>>>>> Dwught + Bynum
Stats: 2009 LeBron> any Jordan except 1988
Stats: Charles Barkley scoring efficiency >> Kobe, Durant, or even Jordan
Stats: Durant > Dwight on defense
Stats: LeBron easily better scorer than Kobe since 2008
Stats: 2012 LeBron = GOAT
Stats: Wilt was literally twice the scorer Kobe, Wade, or Durant are right now
Stats: Kevin Martin, Monta Ellis, Eric Gordon >> Wade this year

so.... /thread?