PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS: Paul Westphal fired.

DStebb716
01-05-2012, 03:30 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/KBergCBS/status/155008063374503937

The Kings have sent out a new release that they have fired coach Paul Westphal.

Assistant Keith Smart will coach Kings tonight. Amazing how many times Golden State and Sacramento have swapped coaches.

Rekindled
01-05-2012, 03:30 PM
they downgraded from westfail to keth dumb, good for them

Sarcastic
01-05-2012, 03:32 PM
O'Antoni is next.

kidachi
01-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Sad news.. I've always liked Westphal.. hope he gets a coaching job back soon..

GOBB
01-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Now D.Cousins can stop crying like a baby. :cry:

kennethgriffin
01-05-2012, 03:35 PM
why not mike 'Antoni

Shepseskaf
01-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Cousins won.

Bigsmoke
O'Antoni is next.

i call Flip Saunders

KB2009Champ
Lol they played him.

They put out that statement with his name on it now they are making take the fall.

Jimmy2k8
Not sure if this is breaking news or not, since he was bound to get fired some time...well not breaking news to me at least.

chazzy
01-05-2012, 03:37 PM
http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/07/31/42/1939635/3/628x471.jpg

senelcoolidge
01-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Cousins and Evans need to be fired next.

rodman91
O'Antoni is next.

:lol

kennethgriffin
Cousins won.

ouch... this is like when that old guy who shall remain nameless left the jazz because of deron williams

Faptastrophe
01-05-2012, 03:40 PM
'Assistant Keith Smart will coach Kings tonight. Amazing how many times Golden State and Sacramento have swapped coaches.'

WillyJakk
01-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Cousins won.

Yep... :facepalm

Maybe they still trade him cause that is not a good message to send to the rest of the team nor fans.

They absolutely cannot keep Cousins while firing WestFALL since he is now the FALL GUY.

DStebb716
I haven't been a believer that D'Antoni would ever get fired, just not resigned in the offseason. But by the sounds of it there are already talks.

Clutch
O'Antoni is next.
As much as I hope you're right I just don't see it happening.

33teeth
Great move. And those of you who think this is because of Cousins clearly haven't been following or watching the Kings this year or last. Or the Sonics when he was coach there. Or Pepperdine when he was coach there.

He has a history of battling with players, changing lineups seemlingly at random and having no offensive system.

He'd lost this team.

He did nothing to improve the team or any players the whole time he was there.

Good riddance.

Rnbizzle
01-05-2012, 03:42 PM
ouch... this is like when that old guy who shall remain nameless left the jazz because of deron williams
I still would like to know what actually happened there.

And.. Cousins winning here.. :facepalm

Zackmorris
01-05-2012, 03:43 PM
O'Antoni is next.

Lets hope. :banana:

bdreason
01-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Over/under the number of coaches Cousins gets fired in his career?

My guess is 3.

Faptastrophe
01-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Scumbag Demarcus Cousins.

http://i.imgur.com/2vANO.png

So you have an uncontrollable kid with massive ego problems and a coach, and you pick the side of the idiot kid?
Good call.

33teeth
01-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Over/under the number of coaches Cousins gets fired in his career?

My guess is 3.

Maybe or maybe not. I really think it's a stretch to say he got Westphal fired. The team losing horribly and playing worse is why he was fired from the Kings.

TheBluest
01-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Cousins is eatin good off this one

CelticsDraftee
01-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Great move. And those of you who think this is because of Cousins clearly haven't been following or watching the Kings this year or last. Or the Sonics when he was coach there. Or Pepperdine when he was coach there.

He has a history of battling with players, changing lineups seemlingly at random and having no offensive system.

He'd lost this team.

He did nothing to improve the team or any players the whole time he was there.

Good riddance.

DeMarcus, is that you?

yobore
01-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Bet he's feeling relieved, that is a nightmare of a coaching job. But someone could really make a name for themselves if they could figure out how to get that group of players.

I'm thinking run the Grinnell offense that way everyone can chuck to their heart's content and Cousins will collect a ton of rebounds and putbacks

GOBB
01-05-2012, 03:51 PM
DeMarcus, is that you?

He's actually right. That doesnt excuse Cousins acting like an idiot crybaby in general however.

LAClipsFan33
01-05-2012, 03:51 PM
BREAKING NEWS : DeMarcus Cousins fires coach

kennethgriffin
01-05-2012, 03:52 PM
sorry but i'm pretty sure westphal is a better coach than cousins is as a player

its not the coaches fault someone shoots 31% fg's

unless he draws up plays for him to shoot 35 foot threes all game

:facepalm

All Net
01-05-2012, 03:53 PM
O'Antoni is next.
He should be..,

33teeth
01-05-2012, 03:58 PM
He's actually right. That doesnt excuse Cousins acting like an idiot crybaby in general however.

Agreed.

National media and people who don't really follow the Kings will think that this was all about Cousins. I'm sure it played a part, but Westphal needed to be fired at the end of last season. The disastrous start to this season made it impossible to keep him.

History repeats itself.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20000427&slug=4017773

Since with the Kings he's had issues with Kevin Martin, Spencer Hawes, Ime Udoka, Carl Landry, Cousins, Evans, ... not even sure who else. He's an arrogant blowhard and a horrible coach.

Glad to see him go.

CelticsDraftee
01-05-2012, 03:59 PM
The Kings have sent out a new release that they have fired coach Paul Westphal.

http://i.imgur.com/cHVsz.gif

RaininTwos
01-05-2012, 04:02 PM
That old guy actually looked like he knew what he was doing...completely different.

niko
01-05-2012, 04:04 PM
He handled this very poorly. He went to the media, and he included lots of details he really did not need to.

UtahJazzFan88
01-05-2012, 04:05 PM

Except that's not even close to what happened idiot. :rolleyes:

iDunk
01-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Knicks get to itt!

GOBB
01-05-2012, 04:08 PM
sorry but i'm pretty sure westphal is a better coach than cousins is as a player

its not the coaches fault someone shoots 31% fg's

unless he draws up plays for him to shoot 35 foot threes all game

:facepalm

Westphal hired by Kings...you dont care
Westphal has 2 losing seasons before entering this season...you dont care
Westphal-Cousins confrontation reported by media...you care
Westphal fired...you care and blame Cousins because Westphal cant be a bad coach

Lets face it, this is actually the truth here. I didnt need to go all in depth. Kept it short and sweet.

Then you tried to compare this situation to that in Utah. You cant be serious. Now what you should do is ask yourself why Westphal was fired and find out what kind of coach he was. As you discover answers, you'll admit you wish you would have done this before throwing out your two previous posts.

2LeTTeRS

http://i.imgur.com/2vANO.png

So you have an uncontrollable kid with massive ego problems and a coach, and you pick the side of the idiot kid?
Good call.

You do realize that Westphal had lost the whole (after that Knicks game several Kings blew up not just Cousins), and then [if you believe the reports currently available] because he was pissed he went by himself to the team's website without the front office's permission to air out the team's dirty laundry.

He deserved to be fired.

Sarcastic
He handled this very poorly. He went to the media, and he included lots of details he really did not need to.

Link.

What did he say.

AMISTILLILL
01-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Honestly, Westphal's coaching has been trivial at best for the past few seasons. There were rumblings of him being on the chopping block last season, to the point that the Maloof's had to come out and declare "we aren't firing the guy." While the Cousins issue certainly exacerbates matters, anyone who has been paying attention to Kings basketball could tell you Westphal was halfway out the door at all times.

The Kings front office seems to think that tossing together a ramshackle team comprised of draft picks and volume scorers is the way to build a team now and when it doesn't work out, the coach is always the one to catch hell for it. Look at Reggie Theus.

The Kings have essentially had a revolving door of long term interim coaches since Adelman. They haven't had an identity since and when you look on the sidelines they might as well have anybody out of the coaching staff standing there coaching. It's a mess.

themurph
01-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Westphal fired...you care and blame Cousins because Westphal cant be a bad coach

Lets face it, this is actually the truth here. I didnt need to go all in depth. Kept it short and sweet.

Then you tried to compare this situation to that in Utah. You cant be serious. Now what you should do is ask yourself why Westphal was fired and find out what kind of coach he was. As you discover answers, you'll admit you wish you would have done this before throwing out your two previous posts.

Truth!!!!!!!!!

2LeTTeRS
01-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Link.

What did he say.

Here you go.

Cousins told to stay home after he supposedly demanded a trade Story Highlights

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- The Sacramento Kings' already-frustrating season evolved into an utter mess on Sunday, when coach Paul Westphal released a statement saying DeMarcus Cousins has demanded a trade and the agent for the second-year big man quickly denied the claim in an interview with SI.com.

"When a player continually, aggressively, lets it be known that he is unwilling/unable to embrace traveling in the same direction as his team, it cannot be ignored indefinitely," Westphal said in the statement. "DeMarcus Cousins has demanded to be traded. In the best interest of our team as we go forward, he has been directed by me, with the support of management, to stay home from the New Orleans game [on Sunday night]."

Kings co-owner Gavin Maloof said Westphal's decision to send Cousins home was approved and supported. "We back the coach," Maloof said as he sat courtside watching Sunday night's game."

Cousins' agent, John Greig, denied the claim that his client demanded a trade.

"DeMarcus never demanded a trade," Greig said by phone. "I'm surprised the Kings -- if they believe the player wanted a trade -- wouldn't have made a phone call to his representative. Maybe Westphal is just feeling the heat early this season."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/01/01/demarcus.cousins.kings/index.html#ixzz1icI9iwxN

kennethgriffin
01-05-2012, 04:16 PM

its the kings

they have 90% rookies and 2nd/3rd year players

a few losing seasons is expected

ShawnieMac06
01-05-2012, 04:21 PM
'Assistant Keith Smart will coach Kings tonight. Amazing how many times Golden State and Sacramento have swapped coaches.'

Garry St. Jean and Rick Adelman being two big examples

niko
01-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Link.

What did he say.
Let;s say we work together and we argue. You deserve (arguably) to be fired. I talk to your boss. You are not. It happens right?

Let's say before i talk to you boss i tell everyone in the company very loudly what happens and that i want you to be fired and everything that you said.

That's basically what Westphal did. It was hugely unproffesional, even in the situation was not his fault.

swi7ch
01-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Love it when a player wins! :bowdown:

swi7ch
01-05-2012, 04:30 PM
He's an arrogant blowhard and a horrible coach.

Took the Suns to the Finals against the GOAT's team!

GOBB
01-05-2012, 04:31 PM
its the kings

they have 90% rookies and 2nd/3rd year players

a few losing seasons is expected

33teeth a Kings fan unlike you broke down Westphal as a coach with the Kings. Are you arguing against it? Do you disagree and if so why? What makes Westphal a good coach? I dont think you can answer these questions. There is a reason for it.

33teeth
01-05-2012, 04:32 PM

Go look at that teams' roster.

Wasn't that his first year as coach there too?

And didn't they get worse in subsequent years... while he was there?

GOBB
01-05-2012, 04:32 PM

Before or after they raped the Sixers in a trade for Sir Charles???

ShawnieMac06
01-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Honestly, Westphal's coaching has been trivial at best for the past few seasons. There were rumblings of him being on the chopping block last season, to the point that the Maloof's had to come out and declare "we aren't firing the guy." While the Cousins issue certainly exacerbates matters, anyone who has been paying attention to Kings basketball could tell you Westphal was halfway out the door at all times.

The Kings front office seems to think that tossing together a ramshackle team comprised of draft picks and volume scorers is the way to build a team now and when it doesn't work out, the coach is always the one to catch hell for it. Look at Reggie Theus.

The Kings have essentially had a revolving door of long term interim coaches since Adelman. They haven't had an identity since and when you look on the sidelines they might as well have anybody out of the coaching staff standing there coaching. It's a mess.

Take it a step further...this on-going mess with Cousins and now Westphal's dismissal certainly can't help matters when they're still trying to get a new arena built in Sacramento.

Can we say "Anaheim (insert name)" for next season?

GOBB
01-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Take it a step further...this on-going mess with Cousins and now Westphal's dismissal certainly can't help matters when they're still trying to get a new arena built in Sacramento.

Do the Maloofs even want a new arena in Sac?

33teeth
01-05-2012, 04:42 PM

We all know it's a mess and that firing Westphal won't make things immediately better. That said, keeping him would be like ignoring a tumor growing out of your face.

Fans (myself included) are completely disillusioned with the putrid offense and lack of effort among many other problems. Keeping things as they have been is not an option. Westphal had time to show his goods.

At least now we can watch and hope for some improvement. It may not come, but we can hope. After last night's game I wasn't sure I'd watch another Kings game this year unless Westphal was fired.

Glide2keva
01-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Now D.Cousins can stop crying like a baby. :cry:
it'll never happen.

alenleomessi
01-05-2012, 05:11 PM
F*cking finally

http://static-l3.blogcritics.org/11/01/17/151703/evans-cousins.JPG

Sometimes the players win, and this time deservingly so.

Watch out for those two now

CelticsDraftee
01-05-2012, 05:28 PM
BREAKING NEWS: David Stern has just vetoed this ... Paul Westphal to coach tonight.

hawkfan
01-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Do the Maloofs even want a new arena in Sac?

Probably not.

It doesn't matter Westphal did or didn't do. This is not a team that can win now. It's a team losing and getting another high draft pick.

Cousins really must have done something to Westphal that we don't know about.

The Maloofs are just horrible owners - they have ruined this team since the Vlade/CWebb/Bibby/Peja days.

Kind of like what has happened in Detroit.

Kujo
01-05-2012, 05:32 PM
I never quite understood the Paul Westphal hiring to begin with. I never thought he's been a good coach anywhere he's been.

Kings should be better this year. They are underachieving.

hawkfan
01-05-2012, 05:34 PM
I never quite understood the Paul Westphal hiring to begin with. I never thought he's been a good coach anywhere he's been.

Kings should be better this year. They are underachieving.

Probably because no one wanted to go there.

StroShow4
01-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Westphal needed to be fired because he'd lost control of this team, but I think the whole deal with Cousins is a big part of why he got canned just 7 games into the season. I aslo think Sacramento's attitude problems start with DeMarcus, and the attitude problems are a big reason why Westphal is out of a job, so.................

33teeth
01-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Probably not.

It doesn't matter Westphal did or didn't do. This is not a team that can win now. It's a team losing and getting another high draft pick.

Cousins really must have done something to Westphal that we don't know about.

The Maloofs are just horrible owners - they have ruined this team since the Vlade/CWebb/Bibby/Peja days.

Kind of like what has happened in Detroit.

But they can win at a better rate than they have been. And they can play competitively. They can play like a team that has a coach - you know, implement and offense, call the occasional play, etc.

AMISTILLILL
01-05-2012, 05:55 PM

This. The Maloof's absentee ownership can't be understated. They held onto their wallets for so long after the success of that era that it set them back years, turning the team into a laughing stock. It's like they saw the blueprint of the Thunder and thought, "we can do that" but they don't have the competent scouts/people to tell them what works and what doesn't.

As much as I love guys like Thornton, Jimmer and Isaiah Thomas... who thought bringing all these guys on board was a great idea when they've already got Garcia and Evans? And they've already shown they're confused about how to utilize Evans (is he a SG or a PG?). This team is an absolute puzzle.

Who you gonna call?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_yYL-drsl60M/TI-cGheWiQI/AAAAAAAAALI/AY5uEM3Cn5w/s1600/larry.jpg

Celtics 1825
01-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Pringles you're next

cuad
01-05-2012, 06:10 PM
The Maloofs are terrible owners. They wanted to move to Anaheim figuring that, in the LA Market, they could be shit like the Clippers owner and still make a profit. David Stern swooped in and told them to **** off, so the Kings are in Sacramento for another year.

If Sacramento gets a new arena underway, the Maloofs will probably sell to Ron Burkle who's worth 3.2 billions.

DirtySanchez
01-05-2012, 06:58 PM
I knew it!!! Good move.

Optimus Prime
01-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Just more proof that this is the players' league...the best a coach can hope to do is manage the egos long enough to succeed.

Timmy D for MVP
01-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Yeah, it was inevitable.

Problem is that it doesn't really matter, this team is very poorly built anyway. It'll take some serious creativity from a coach to get this team producing properly, but I doubt that'll happen. They need to make some trades, build a proper team, and maybe they'll start getting somewhere.

LaysUpBricks
01-05-2012, 07:31 PM

Good call.

Westphal hasn't improved their team in the last three years, his offensive sets are painful to watch, and he clearly lost his team this week after his press release. Westphal is a less than stellar coach who has a history of changing lineups and demoralizing players by his weird rotations. Cousins is a center who has shown he's worth the red flags they knew he had when they drafted him. The Kings can improve with a different coach.

Profound
01-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Who's next up in line Flip? Mr. Pringles? I don't know about Mr. Pringles getting fired yet but Flip's Wizard look even worse than the Kings.

Jasper
01-05-2012, 08:18 PM
As I stated yesterday , I think a coach in NY should of gone first.

Westphal was the fall guy... granted he isn't a guru coach , and average , but he is old school and this roster wasn't honing in on it.

Sad again story of players not listening to a coach that 'has experience'

--------------
Now Couisin's thinks he owns the team at a tender age of 21...

One article I read today , said that it was Sac's GM fualt for creating so much young talent with not enough vets to lead by example.

Abbott- who I typically don't like did point out what I have seen and that is Thompson is a young Center , needing some viable coachin' to make him a real presence in the game. (I agree )
I still think Cousins is a PF.

Who's next up in line Flip? Mr. Pringles? I don't know about Mr. Pringles getting fired yet but Flip's Wizard look even worse than the Kings.

Flip is another guy that works well with vets .. but I never saw him as a teacher as is Silas.
If Silas was in Sac ... you would see a different team for sure .. he knows how to teach kids.

Timmy D for MVP
01-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Now Couisin's thinks he owns the team at a tender age of 21...

One article I read today , said that it was Sac's GM fualt for creating so much young talent with not enough vets to lead by example.

Abbott- who I typically don't like did point out what I have seen and that is Thompson is a young Center , needing some viable coachin' to make him a real presence in the game. (I agree )
I still think Cousins is a PF.

I'm not so sure about that now. From what I have seen thus far Cousins is responding to Chuck being on that team. And he's the last domino to fall because all the other players have already stated that he's the guy now.

But they have been too young for too long. It might be too late for them with this current roster, and in fact I believe it is.

UtahJazzFan88
01-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Keith Smart getting a two year deal. Just another fail by Petrie/Maloof's, I thought Smart did a decent job as coach last season, but giving him a 2 year deal at this point? Premature. :confusedshrug:

33teeth
01-05-2012, 08:32 PM
Keith Smart getting a two year deal. Just another fail by Petrie/Maloof's, I thought Smart did a decent job as coach last season, but giving him a 2 year deal at this point? Premature. :confusedshrug:

Very premature.

---> Angry :rant

Jasper
01-05-2012, 08:43 PM

I beleive you are correct , but they could be sending a msg to the players -
deal with this coach , otherwise we will start shippin' your a$$'s out.

remember these brothers aren't poor , so a two year deal to them , can also mean we fire your coaching as$ up to the front office to hide , while we bring in a guru coach when available.

33teeth
01-05-2012, 08:45 PM
I beleive you are correct , but they could be sending a msg to the players -
deal with this coach , otherwise we will start shippin' your a$$'s out.

remember these brothers aren't poor , so a two year deal to them , can also mean we fire your coaching as$ up to the front office to hide , while we bring in a guru coach when available.

My understanding is that they have some serious financial problems. Do you know otherwise?

LaysUpBricks
01-05-2012, 09:16 PM
I just read a tweet by SIs Sam Amick

Kings co-owner Joe Maloof tells SI that ownership had no knowledge that Paul Westphal would be making public statement about D. Cousins. Maloofs were upset that he disclosed in-house matters. It clearly played a part here. Westphal indicated that Petrie had spoken to Maloofs.

Now in regards to Keith Smart, apparently he was only given a one year extension (so two years total) for the head coaching position. I understand why they did it, so they can implement a system for this season and next season with the young players. I like the move since the players looked lost under Westphal especially since he released that statement. And Petrie made the call on extending Smarts contract, the Maloofs didn't per Sam Amick as well.

And apparently Cousins and Evans like Smart a lot, and I wonder if they hired Smart in the offseason knowing he would most likely replace Westphal.

trig
01-05-2012, 11:26 PM
Cousins head just got bigger