PDA

View Full Version : Worst Crowd in the NBA?

Peteballa
01-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Who would you guys say is the worst crowd in the NBA? There is no real criteria, but I'm implying crowds that don't show up, don't show heart, have a bad attitude or anything else that warrants them to be labelled as bad crowds..

In my opinion, the worst crowd is the Atlanta crowd.

#1 - They don't show up. The place is just EMPTY. Terrible atmosphere.
#2 - They have terrible attitudes. It's one thing to be supportive of your own team and to hate on the other team, but they have shown in the past to be straight up disrespectful. I'm really referring to one incident I remember back in 2009; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3ksc5_bpYw&lc=p75

Runner ups: Heat, Lakers

The best crowd, in my opinion, is the Portland crowd. They are always rowdy and in their seats, and pack the house. You can really feel the home-court advantage in the Rose Garden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61dRAp0voaM

Runner ups: Cavs, Knicks, Bulls, Thunder, Warriors

I am not talking about the fans on ISH or any other board, I am strictly referring to the crowds at the games.

Rose
01-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Gotta have the Jazz in there for the best. They're dedicated and all those years of D-will/Boozer and they'd start off ridiculously well at home. Even now they're still there.

HylianNightmare
01-06-2012, 07:10 PM
pistons?

Vienceslav
01-06-2012, 07:11 PM
I

Peteballa
01-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Gotta have the Jazz in there for the best. They're dedicated and all those years of D-will/Boozer and they'd start off ridiculously well at home. Even now they're still there.

http://www.lakers-fan.com/wp-content/uploads/fishfancopy.jpg

I see what you're saying, but I am going to have to agree with the picture; they're pretty brutal.

Droid101
01-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Never understood why people thought Laker crowds were bad. Probably because you can't hear anything on TV.

If you're actually there, the middle and upper levels are going CRAZY all game long. Those upper-level season ticket holders are true fans that go nuts.

The lower level folks are the celebs, which is why the seats are empty (they up talking to other celebs) or quiet.

Agree on your other points, especially Portland. Portland fans are nutso for the Trailblazers.

Rose

I see what you're saying, but I am going to have to agree with the picture; they're pretty brutal.
Yeah they're dickish too. So I see your point.

DevilsAssassin
Miami, and Atlanta

Batz
Raptors fans pitty you.

Droid101
01-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Jazz fans and Sixer fans are the dumbest fans. They don't understand basketball at all. They boo at correct calls against their team and cheer when opposing players get hurt.

Rose
01-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Raptors fans pitty you.
I believe this should say "Raptors fans pity you."

-Rosez Spellcheck

I pity the Canadian education system. But seriously why the pity? For having Boozer? Oh I know.

rhythmic
01-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Bulls, Kings & Jazz are the best.
Lakers, Hawks & Bobcats are the worst.

Can't blame Laker fans because they have too many millionaires occupying the first 50 rows and are quiet as hell. They attend games for public relations not the actual game.

Laker fans would rock the crap out of Staples if it wasn't for all those celebrities.

Batz
I believe this should say "Raptors fans pity you."

-Rosez Spellcheck

I pity the Canadian education system. But seriously why the pity? For having Boozer? Oh I know.
Magloire > Boozer.

Btw what's going on with that blog of yours?

Peteballa
Never understood why people thought Laker crowds were bad. Probably because you can't hear anything on TV.

If you're actually there, the middle and upper levels are going CRAZY all game long. Those upper-level season ticket holders are true fans that go nuts.

The lower level folks are the celebs, which is why the seats are empty (they up talking to other celebs) or quiet.

Agree on your other points, especially Portland. Portland fans are nutso for the Trailblazers.

I see what you're saying; it's the same thing at Heat games. On TV, it seems quiet and the lower level seems empty. However, at the games (I'm a season ticket holder), it's evident that the 200, 300 and 400 levels are going nuts for the entire game. They're good fans.

However, relative to other teams, the Heat and Lakers just don't stack up. You can't have a bunch of people out of their seats like those two teams do.

UtahJazzFan88
Jazz fans and Sixer fans are the dumbest fans. They don't understand basketball at all. They boo at correct calls against their team and cheer when opposing players get hurt.

When has any Sixers or Jazz fans cheered when opposing players get hurt? :confusedshrug:

The Fisher thing was pretty ridiculous, and I certainly wouldn't boo, but the whole thing he did was a bit sketchy I thought, but that was his choice and I don't think it's right to boo either.

A Jazz game is still louder than any Rose Garden game I've felt, but that's bias. Detroit, Charlotte's crowds are pretty bad.

Rose
01-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Magloire > Boozer.

Btw what's going on with that blog of yours?
IT EXISTS.

http://nopropsneeded.wordpress.com/ And no I haven't finished what I started two nights ago. don't judge me.

And I'll give you Bargnani>>>Boozer. But not Magloire.:lol

Batz
01-06-2012, 07:19 PM
IT EXISTS.

http://nopropsneeded.wordpress.com/ And no I haven't finished what I started two nights ago. don't judge me.

And I'll give you Bargnani>>>Boozer. But not Magloire.:lol
MAGLOIRE FOR MVP

And firefox committed suicide as soon as that Rubio pic loaded.

stephanieg
01-06-2012, 07:20 PM

That's not being dumb, that's being a hardcore fan...which is derived from fanatic.

Rose
01-06-2012, 07:20 PM
MAGLOIRE FOR MVP

And firefox committed suicide as soon as that Rubio pic loaded.
Firefox couldn't stand the awesomeness of the rubix cube.

Stop hi-jacking a thread of a poster I like. We should take our talents to another thread to ruin it.

Droid101
01-06-2012, 07:21 PM
The Fisher thing was pretty ridiculous, and I certainly wouldn't boo, but the whole thing he did was a bit sketchy I thought, but that was his choice and I don't think it's right to boo either.
What thing did he do? Ask to be let out of his contract?

He's lucky he didn't make the Jazz buy him out and still pay him salary. I'd say he did them a favor, he was way overpaid on that contract.

Batz
01-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Firefox couldn't stand the awesomeness of the rubix cube.

Stop hi-jacking a thread of a poster I like. We should take our talents to another thread to ruin it.
We hijack on my command, Rosez.

I wanna help as much as a I can with this blog btw. Graphics wise.

UtahJazzFan88
01-06-2012, 07:24 PM
What thing did he do? Ask to be let out of his contract?

He's lucky he didn't make the Jazz buy him out and still pay him salary. I'd say he did them a favor, he was way overpaid on that contract.

He asked to be let out of his contract due to his kid's health, which is fine and I don't care at all, but there was the same facilities and treatment in Salt Lake City as in New York City or LA, that's a fact. So what other reasoning did he have to leave?

The booing was unnecessary though. But the Fisher thing is old and tiresome to, it was 5 years ago.

Rose
01-06-2012, 07:24 PM
We hijack on my command, Rosez.

I wanna help as much as a I can with this blog btw. Graphics wise.
:lol

I still have the first thing you started on. I'll pm you stuff.

Mr. Jabbar
01-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Jazz is full of racist Mormons

flipogb
01-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Staples Center is always packed, that alone should be enough to keep the Lakers out of the list

Detroit
01-06-2012, 07:37 PM
pistons?

Did you read the title? he said crowd! I don't think the pistons have that anymore:lol

All joking aside it has to be either Atlanta or Detroit.

Myth
01-06-2012, 07:39 PM
I didn't see this thread till just now, and I just posted this in a new thread:

So I was at the Staples center for the Lakers vs Rockets game earlier in the week, and it was my first NBA game that was not in Portland. It blew my mind how little the Laker fans got into the game compared to Portland fans as I am used to, and that got me wondering if this is just a Laker thing, or if it is common around the NBA and it is actually the Blazers fans that are the extreme (just in the opposite direction).

Minus a fan here and there, the crowd remained in their seats pretty much the whole game. When something happened that was exciting, the crowd would ooh and ah, but not jump up in excitement as I am used to. This was the same game where Kobe went 38/8/6 (or something close to that) and Bynum had his first career 20/20 game. Even when Kobe did his alley-oop to himself, the crowd cheered from a seated position. This is something that if it were Roy doing it in Portland the crowd would go insane. I was even in the upper deck, where it is usually the true fans and not the celebs/rich snobs that are there just because they can. The only time the Laker fans stood up as a collective whole was in the final 20 seconds as the horn was approaching and the crowd was cheering for tacos.

Another observation was the crowd cheering levels. The crowd was relatively quiet compared to what I was used to. One moment really came to mind. At Portland games, when the Blazers are up about 4 with about 2 minutes left, and the feeling of the game is 'we just need something big to give us some breathing room,' the crowd goes insane if the Blazers hit a three at that moment. I don't know how many times I've seen it, but if a three puts the Blazers up about 7 with 2 minutes left and the opposing team calls time-out, the Rose Garden becomes a giant party. Everybody stands and dances/screams/etc as the whole arena rocks out. This very situation happened in the Lakers/Rockets game and the crowd cheered for about 10 seconds with their asses glued to their seats and then relatively quiet for most of the time-out thereafter until a visual came on the screen with a decimal meter that pretty much told the fans "it is time to cheer now."

It was a very interesting experience that I am glad I was able to have, but ultimately it just made me proud of my own home crowd and got me wondering which is more normal. So, is Portland more unique to the league in the sense that our fans are just that loud/energetic? Or are the Laker fans more unique to the league in the sense that their fans are just that quiet/glued to their seats?

KOBEtherealKing
01-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Worst: jazz
Loudest: portland/okc
Quietest: lakers
Best: okc because in the playoffs it looks like a college bball atmosphere

strifed169
01-06-2012, 07:42 PM
best crowd:

1. kings
2. thunder
3. blazers

worst crowd:

1. heat
2. heat
3. heat

mlh1981
01-06-2012, 07:45 PM
I went to some Heat games back in 2004 and thought the crowd was actually really good, and they seemed hyped. What changed?

UtahJazzFan88
01-06-2012, 07:47 PM
I went to some Heat games back in 2004 and thought the crowd was actually really good, and they seemed hyped. What changed?

People making a big deal out of a few empty seats in the arena. AAA isn't the loudest place ever, but it isn't the worst.

Peteballa
01-06-2012, 07:57 PM
People making a big deal out of a few empty seats in the arena. AAA isn't the loudest place ever, but it isn't the worst.

I agree. I go to a bunch of the games, and the lower level is where all of the celebrities and rich people go, and these are the guys that don't care about the game, so they end up walking around with their trophy wives and the Arena looks empty.

Fiba basketball
01-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Compared to crowds in Europe they are all bad .

Myth
01-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Compared to crowds in Europe they are all bad .

Unfortunately, compared to teams in the NBA, in Europe they are all bad :D

/troll

Fiba basketball
01-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Unfortunately, compared to teams in the NBA, in Europe they are all bad :D

/troll
I read every season that some player that came from USA is saying that fans in NBA are much worse than the ones in Europe . Some teams that dont play in Euroleague or Eurocup have better crowds and that is the truth . I think that only couple of European teams would be able to win against Nba teams so you can write that Nba teams are better and have better players I dont care .

WesWelkerACL
01-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Hands down Oklahoma City. What kind of loyalty can those people have? By definition they're all frontrunners. Oh so you've been following this team for what 3 years? 4? What kind of MAN could root for that team? It's truly pathetic.

DStebb716
01-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Really? MSG is always rockin and one of the best crowds in the NBA. Get the **** outta here.

Peteballa
01-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Really? MSG is always rockin and one of the best crowds in the NBA. Get the **** outta here.

Yeah, that's why I said they were a runner up for the BEST crowd in the NBA. Sorry, maybe I didn't bold it enough for you in the original post.

Myth
01-06-2012, 08:30 PM
I read every season that some player that came from USA is saying that fans in NBA are much worse than the ones in Europe . Some teams that dont play in Euroleague or Eurocup have better crowds and that is the truth . I think that only couple of European teams would be able to win against Nba teams so you can write that Nba teams are better and have better players I dont care .

I was just messing with you, hence the "/troll." I actually think it is cool that Europe has hardcore fans. Some teams' fans seem like the hardcore soccer fans of other countries.

Peteballa
01-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Hands down Oklahoma City. What kind of loyalty can those people have? By definition they're all frontrunners. Oh so you've been following this team for what 3 years? 4? What kind of MAN could root for that team? It's truly pathetic.

lolwut

Fiba basketball
01-06-2012, 08:47 PM
I was just messing with you, hence the "/troll." I actually think it is cool that Europe has hardcore fans. Some teams' fans seem like the hardcore soccer fans of other countries.
They are the same fans , they go to both soccer and basketball games

CardiacKemba
01-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Why has no one mentioned Golden State as one of the best? They rarely make the playoffs but the crowd is always packed and the O is always pumping. Loyal fans, giving their all. Gotta respect that.

Fiba basketball
01-06-2012, 08:59 PM
I have a question . Do fans in Nba have song they sing during the games ?

Myth
01-06-2012, 09:04 PM
I have a question . Do fans in Nba have song they sing during the games ?

Small pockets of Portland fans have tried, but never caught on. I don't think it happens in other cities either.

Nash
01-06-2012, 09:07 PM

I don't get the picture, explain to me please.

Salazaar
01-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Fisher's daughter had an eye cancer...

rhythmic
01-06-2012, 09:08 PM
I don't get the picture, explain to me please.

Fisher went back to LA (when he was a Jazz) because of his daughter. She had cancer in her one eye and LA was closer to the treatment facilities.

KOBEtherealKing
01-06-2012, 09:21 PM
http://blogs.suntimes.com/sportsprose/Fisher%20Lied.png

no pun intended
01-06-2012, 09:28 PM
pistons?
What crowd?

Cali Syndicate
01-06-2012, 09:35 PM
Why has no one mentioned Golden State as one of the best? They rarely make the playoffs but the crowd is always packed and the O is always pumping. Loyal fans, giving their all. Gotta respect that.

Among the best fans in the NBA.

NugzFan
01-06-2012, 11:52 PM
Staples Center is always packed, that alone should be enough to keep the Lakers out of the list

:oldlol:
Sorry but no

NugzFan
01-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Any city who has no pro sports team except an NBA team should be disqualified from best fans.

get these NETS
01-07-2012, 01:12 AM
the Rock.....the Izod center and even back when it was meadowlands...continental arena

Nets have the worst fans in basketball...

terrible music, terrible entertainers between periods, bad give a ways

just a second tier organization and fans

dak121
01-07-2012, 01:17 AM
Everytime I have watched a Sixers home game since Iverson left it has looked like a ghost town.

I would even rank Atlanta ahead of them when it comes to fan support.

magnax1
01-07-2012, 01:27 AM
Worst is the Laker fans. They whisper when they cheer for their team. Atlanta is basically just as bad though.
Golden State and Utah are the best.

33teeth
01-07-2012, 01:46 AM
Any city who has no pro sports team except an NBA team should be disqualified from best fans.

Not necessarily. Your argument could apply to Sacramento, but as a kid there I went to a lot of Warriors, SF Giants, and SF 49ers games. They weren't really that far away.

(e)
01-07-2012, 01:50 AM
Worst: Atlanta
Best: Chicago, or OKC

DStebb716
01-07-2012, 02:08 AM
http://blogs.suntimes.com/sportsprose/Fisher%20Lied.png

Is that mother/daughter, sister/sister, peer/peer, twin/twin or my next sex partners? Can't tell. :bowdown:

OHHHH, you mean the shirts. Ah. Clever.

flipogb
01-07-2012, 02:25 AM
:oldlol:
Sorry but no
Sorry but you are an idiot

other teams can't even get fans to show up, lets start with those

explain to me how the 10 teams with the lowest attendance have a better crowd than the Lakers.

NugzFan
01-07-2012, 02:41 AM
Not necessarily. Your argument could apply to Sacramento, but as a kid there I went to a lot of Warriors, SF Giants, and SF 49ers games. They weren't really that far away.

utah, san antonio, portland, okc...

NugzFan
01-07-2012, 02:43 AM
Sorry but you are an idiot

other teams can't even get fans to show up, lets start with those

explain to me how the 10 teams with the lowest attendance have a better crowd than the Lakers.

i was just at staples...the crowd SUCKS. attendance doesnt tell the story. first of all, the lakers play in LA. its a lot easier to find 20000 fans out of 10 million people vs a city that has say 800,000. secondly, most of those fans are there to be seen...not get into the game.

you are trying to use attendance to prove how laker fans are great. they arent. they are awful. it was so quiet there except when the jumbotron asked them to make noise. they did for a few seconds then it got quiet again.

magnax1
01-07-2012, 02:47 AM
i was just at staples...the crowd SUCKS. attendance doesnt tell the story. first of all, the lakers play in LA. its a lot easier to find 20000 fans out of 10 million people vs a city that has say 800,000. secondly, most of those fans are there to be seen...not get into the game.

you are trying to use attendance to prove how laker fans are great. they arent. they are awful. it was so quiet there except when the jumbotron asked them to make noise. they did for a few seconds then it got quiet again.
Sad thing is that the great western forum used to be awesome. Especially the year that Magic Johnson came back (96?)

boozehound
01-07-2012, 02:54 AM
When has any Sixers or Jazz fans cheered when opposing players get hurt? :confusedshrug:

A Jazz game is still louder than any Rose Garden game I've felt, but that's bias. Detroit, Charlotte's crowds are pretty bad.
thats definitely true this year and the previous one. prior to that they set attendance records for years straight. Sad to see such a decline in the fanbase (and metro area), but its not a great product right now. Still, its really disappointing.

I would have to agree that the noisiest, rowdiest places seem to be the NW (portland, utah and sac). Lakers are lame for the reasons already pointed out. Miami is weak as shit. Dallas used to be pretty lame, but they've definitely improved over the last decade.

The real measure of a fanbase is when the team is shit. What really shitty teams still have raucous fanbases? the cavs? toronto? Im not sure on this

01-07-2012, 05:50 AM

European fans cheer like in the football matches (soccer to the Yanks)...constant random drumming and chanting and no regard to the dynamics of a basketball game.

mrpibb
01-07-2012, 06:00 AM

Portland and Utah have professional soccer teams.

As for the whole Derek Fisher thing, it wouldn't have been a problem if he didn't go to the dreaded Lakers. During the playoffs, he went to New York to get treatment for his daughter. Somewhere along the way, if he did not say it himself -- which would be downright wrong, but I don't think he did -- the Jazz and their fans felt he wanted out of his contract to go to New York. Instead, he went to LA, which is a bit weird. Why would he go to LA if he originally went to a hospital in New York? If there was a hospital that could treat it in LA, why didn't he go there in the first place, since it's closer?

It's all a bit shady, but at the same time, I think he had time to review his options. When it was an emergency, he probably took the likely more well-known hospital in New York.

It's classless to boo, though. I've screamed that since he left. I hate it. I think the majority of Jazz fans agree with me, too, but when a minority includes a thousand or so people in the ESA booing, they're loud.

NugzFan
01-08-2012, 01:26 AM
Portland and Utah have professional soccer teams.

oh yeah...that changes things! :oldlol:

As for the whole Derek Fisher thing, it wouldn't have been a problem if he didn't go to the dreaded Lakers. During the playoffs, he went to New York to get treatment for his daughter. Somewhere along the way, if he did not say it himself -- which would be downright wrong, but I don't think he did -- the Jazz and their fans felt he wanted out of his contract to go to New York. Instead, he went to LA, which is a bit weird. Why would he go to LA if he originally went to a hospital in New York? If there was a hospital that could treat it in LA, why didn't he go there in the first place, since it's closer?

It's all a bit shady, but at the same time, I think he had time to review his options. When it was an emergency, he probably took the likely more well-known hospital in New York.

It's classless to boo, though. I've screamed that since he left. I hate it. I think the majority of Jazz fans agree with me, too, but when a minority includes a thousand or so people in the ESA booing, they're loud.

the fact that you even tried to justify the way jazz fans acted towards fisher is pathetic. do the lakers or nba even matter when talking about his daughter? :facepalm

Wonder Bread Kid
01-08-2012, 01:31 AM

u mad bro?

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-VVT0D3MfYF0/TE_J7ShYKBI/AAAAAAAANuU/xucSBwweKro/Liberty%252520vs%252520Silverstars%25252C%252520MS G%25252C%25252027.7.10%252520076.jpg

NugzFan
01-08-2012, 01:54 AM
u mad bro?

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-VVT0D3MfYF0/TE_J7ShYKBI/AAAAAAAANuU/xucSBwweKro/Liberty%252520vs%252520Silverstars%25252C%252520MS G%25252C%25252027.7.10%252520076.jpg

uh...mad at? :confusedshrug:

a wnba team?

Wonder Bread Kid
01-08-2012, 01:56 AM
uh...mad at? :confusedshrug:

a wnba team?

Over your head it went.:facepalm

NugzFan
01-08-2012, 01:59 AM
Over your head it went.:facepalm

pretty sure you were referring to the silver stars as another pro sports team in san antonio.

nice one.

Wonder Bread Kid
01-08-2012, 02:07 AM
pretty sure you were referring to the silver stars as another pro sports team in san antonio.

nice one.

Pretty sure I was sarcastically joking with the "u mad bro?" and then putting a WNBA picture.

I was inferring you were mad that we had a WNBA team and you didn't for comedic effect.

:banghead:

Stuckey
01-08-2012, 02:11 AM
atlanta

half the crowd cheers for the away team

joshwake
01-08-2012, 02:46 AM
He asked to be let out of his contract due to his kid's health, which is fine and I don't care at all, but there was the same facilities and treatment in Salt Lake City as in New York City or LA, that's a fact. So what other reasoning did he have to leave?

The booing was unnecessary though. But the Fisher thing is old and tiresome to, it was 5 years ago.
I have been through explaining this a million times it seems. I worked at the Moran Eye center and the treatment of direct chemotherapy was not available in Utah at the time. However, the treatment process was somewhere around a month and I don't think he even ended up treating in California. The follow up and evaluation is more than adequate in Utah, in fact the the University of Utah is one of the world leaders in health care treatment. I can understand the Fishers wanting to be near family in California during that time and all, but my opinion is that he used it as an excuse to get out from under D-will as a second string pg. But whatever, it worked out for both parties.

NugzFan
01-08-2012, 02:51 AM
Pretty sure I was sarcastically joking with the "u mad bro?" and then putting a WNBA picture.

I was inferring you were mad that we had a WNBA team and you didn't for comedic effect.

:banghead:

oh

UtahJazzFan88
01-08-2012, 02:52 AM
I have been through explaining this a million times it seems. I worked at the Moran Eye center and the treatment of direct chemotherapy was not available in Utah at the time. However, the treatment process was somewhere around a month and I don't think he even ended up treating in California. The follow up and evaluation is more than adequate in Utah, in fact the the University of Utah is one of the world leaders in health care treatment. I can understand the Fishers wanting to be near family in California during that time and all, but my opinion is that he used it as an excuse to get out from under D-will as a second string pg. But whatever, it worked out for both parties.

Exactly. The Huntsman Cancer Institute at the University of Utah is top of the line, and had the same treatment facilities as NYC and LA.

I don't care though, his choice to leave, whatever I guess, he brought a lot to the team, but he was still a back-up PG in the end. It was still unnecessary to boo and that fan should never be allowed to come back to the ESA.

bluechox2
01-08-2012, 02:54 AM
washington,atlanta has a ny fanbase

Fiba basketball
01-08-2012, 05:55 AM
European fans cheer like in the football matches (soccer to the Yanks)...constant random drumming and chanting and no regard to the dynamics of a basketball game.
Not true .

allabouthawks
01-08-2012, 08:10 AM
http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/3574/44254674.png

it aint that bad

here is OKCs

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/7946/68705012.png

Yung D-Will
01-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Really?

So our fan bases are the only ones who boo at correct calls? Guess you've never been to a live game.