PDA

View Full Version : Steal of the draft? (so far)

OmniStrife
01-08-2012, 07:44 AM
http://i.imgur.com/bkx7K.jpg

I know most people here didn't watch the Suns play this season,
But let me tell you about Markieff Morris.

This guy is just great.

He's the definition of NBA-ready.

He looks so poised, calm and confident out there... He looks like a freaking vet!

In 21 MPG he's leading all rooks with 6 RPG, and .529 from deep, (1.3 threes per game.)

He has great hustle and effort on D, an array of post moves on the offensive end and he's making mid range Js with a clean consistent form.

In 7 games he's leading the Suns (tied with Nash) with a +28.

He's a hard worker, plays with a lot of heart and a student of the game.
Always talking to the vets during timeouts trying to learn from his own mistakes.

Clutch
01-08-2012, 07:56 AM
Iman Shumpert (17th) and Norris Cole (28th pick) should also be up there.

KembaWalker
01-08-2012, 07:56 AM
Wasn't his brother suppose to be the better of the two? How is he going? Haven't tuned into any Rocket games

cuad
01-08-2012, 08:00 AM
Jon Leuer.

OmniStrife
01-08-2012, 08:04 AM
Wasn't his brother suppose to be the better of the two? How is he going? Haven't tuned into any Rocket games
He's in the D-League atm.
He's also smaller.
This time I think we finally got the better brother. :lol

OmniStrife
01-08-2012, 08:06 AM
Iman Shumpert (17th) and Norris Cole (28th pick) should also be up there.
Yup. Also Kenneth Faried? What pick was he?

TaLvsCuaL
01-08-2012, 08:12 AM
Jon Leuer 40th pick is looking good, and I also liked Faried :rockon: this kid is going to make many highlight plays.

knicksman
01-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Jorts

alenleomessi
01-08-2012, 08:49 AM
This was a weird draft anyone can be a steal
Burks, Morris, Leonard, Vucevic, Shumpert, Singleton, Cole, Mirotic should be good when he comes, Brooks, Parson and Leuer are decent too.

btw what happened to nolan smith from the blazers?

blablabla
01-08-2012, 09:18 AM
faried and shumpert look good

Yung D-Will
01-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Brooks might have some star potential in him

nathanjizzle
01-08-2012, 10:27 AM
his post up game kinda looks fruity though.

InspiredLebowski
01-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Brooks might have some star potential in himIf Nick Young's a star then sure, maybe

kidachi
01-08-2012, 10:33 AM
I might be bias but I definitely think Norris Cole is the steal of the draft so far.. Shumpert is a very close 2nd.. and Marshon Brooks is doing good too

roffie
01-08-2012, 10:55 AM
i like faried and morris, both look very promising. very interested to see what they can pull up with when their playing time increases.

livingby3's
01-08-2012, 11:02 AM
This guy is just great.

He looks so poised, calm and confident out there... He looks like a freaking vet!

In 21 MPG he's leading all rooks with 6 RPG, and .529 from deep, (1.3 threes per game.)

He has great hustle and effort on D, an array of post moves on the offensive end and he's making mid range Js with a clean consistent form.

Always talking to the vets during timeouts trying to learn from his own mistakes.

he's been good so far. not sure whether he can show more promises than he already has, but one thing's for sure, he's definitely giving channing frye a run for his money :pimp:

Yung D-Will
01-08-2012, 11:26 AM
If Nick Young's a star then sure, maybe
Nah I see Nick young as a top 6th man at his peak but nothing more than that.

But I could see if Brooks puts work in during the offseason on other parts of his game he might be a star. Not a superstar but maybe a Danny Granger level star =X

bagelred
01-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Template: " I honestly believe insert favorite teams rookie has been the steal of the draft. Good job, insert favorite teams GM !!!"

D12"Magic"
01-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Cole, Brooks, Shumpert are all looking good. Gotta see more of them to decide 1.

I really like Brooks scoring ability, and the great part of that, it can only get better

http://netsarescorching.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/mb.jpg

1rkrage
01-08-2012, 01:40 PM
In limited minutes, Jimmy Butler

Butler is averaging 30/11/6/2 PER 36 with a 93.9% TS% and 48.7 PER.

Clutch
01-08-2012, 01:48 PM
He played 4 games and averaged less than 5 minutes per game.

Not sure if serious.

1rkrage
01-08-2012, 01:51 PM

Not sure if serious.
Joyner would agree :banana:

Grinder
01-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Iman Shumpert is looking great.
Chandler Parsons could be a Hedo type player.
Jon Leuer is playing his role really well.
Markieff Morris has been excellent in the few Suns games I've watched.
Norris Cole is obviously playing well, but he's also in a very desirable situation for a rookie guard.
Marshon Brooks is lighting it up, but he's doing on a horrible team.

JMT
01-08-2012, 01:55 PM
he's been good so far. not sure whether he can show more promises than he already has, but one thing's for sure, he's definitely giving channing frye a run for his money :pimp:

His 3 pt shot has shocked me.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Fry. He's worked hard to become a better defender since coming to PHX and is, by all accounts, the kind of guy Nash likes having around. But Morris provides such a better physical presence, rebounding and ability to run the floor. Post game needs a lot of work, but he looks like a really solid pro.

GOBB
01-08-2012, 01:58 PM
He's from Philly. He's tough, physical. :pimp:

Not sure if serious.

:roll:

OmniStrife
01-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Markieff with another great game.

13 / 10 / 3 / 2 blks 0 t/o

3/4 from downtown

roffie
01-08-2012, 11:12 PM

3/4 from downtown

he looked good out there tonight:applause:

knickswin
01-08-2012, 11:19 PM
this draft seems to have a lot of steals

statman32
01-08-2012, 11:50 PM
Considering draft position, I think MarShon has been the steal of the draft. He has only been unleashed in spurts but he is already the Nets 2nd best player.

Kyrie Irving
Derrick Williams
Brandon Knight
Kemba Walker
Markieff Morris
Iman Shumpart
MarShon Brooks
Norris Cole

have all produced but the following guys have shown promise in limited minutes

Tristin Thompson
Klay Thompson
Alec Burks
Nikola Vucevic
Jimmer Freddette
Bismack Biyumbo
Chris Singleton
Chandler Parsons

bagelred
01-08-2012, 11:51 PM
I thought this was supposed to be a bad draft? Seems like there a lot of guys producing right away.

Tenchi Ryu
01-08-2012, 11:55 PM
Agree. Don't know if he was a steal of the league since he's played for such a limited time, but from what I've seen, he was definitely a steal for the Bulls. Great work-ethic, has the strong belief in good defense, and has a good head on his shoulders. Damn shame Thibs don't put him in to replace Deng more, he's shown that he wants to play. And seems to be confident in his ability while being a rookie.

DStebb716
01-09-2012, 12:08 AM
Jon Leuer, Iman Shumpert, Norris Cole, Jorts and Marshon Brooks are all bigger steals.

Dasher
01-09-2012, 12:15 AM
If Nick Young's a star then sure, maybe
Brooks is, in his small sample size, more efficient than Nick Young. He also flashes good defensive potential. Once Brook Lopez returns, I actually expect his scoring to pick up even more, as it will be difficult to key on Marshon as much as teams do now.

I like Morris, Faried, Brooks, Leuer, and Shumpert. The end of the 1st round and early 2nd has produced some gems thus far, though Morris was a lottery pick. Bojan Bogdanovic and Mirotic look like they will cause problems when they jump to The NBA.

33teeth
01-09-2012, 12:20 AM
I thought this was supposed to be a bad draft? Seems like there a lot of guys producing right away.

Do a lot of teams have bench players that signed in Europe or China during the lockout? Maybe some of these draftees are getting minutes they otherwise wouldn't?

Don't know if it's the case, only hypothesizing.

paintingshade
01-09-2012, 12:22 AM
Chandler Parsons has really surprised me. He's already moved into the starting lineup, even though he was the 38th pick. I know Morris was put in the dleague, but he's a monster down there, and will definitely contribute soon. Motiejunas has been pretty good so far in Europe, we have high hopes for him. Rockets had a good draft, again. Unfortunately, too many role players. Rockets suck lol

bagelred
01-09-2012, 12:28 AM
Chandler Parsons has really surprised me. He's already moved into the starting lineup, even though he was the 38th pick.

Morey loves his high IQ ballplayers.

EricGordon23
01-09-2012, 12:35 AM
Brooks seems like hes got some moves and with determination might end being the franchise there after D-will leaves.

dee-rose
01-09-2012, 12:36 AM
^ Always thought Chandler Parsons would be good...

I just checked to make sure Steimsma wasn't a rookie cuz no one mentioned him. Morris is definitely up there though.

PejaNowitzki
01-09-2012, 05:22 AM
Not sure what to think of Markieff, by all accounts he's a beast inside, a good defender and a tenacious rebounder but his ability to step out on the perimeter and knock down 3's is almost unfair. He should have a lot of success in the NBA with his inside/outside game.

CardiacKemba
01-09-2012, 05:31 AM
Shumpert, Faried (even though he's had very little game time so far), and Cole.

Also just a thought, say Norris Cole was drafted onto a team like say, Cleveland and could step into a starting PG spot with no real stud players around him, do you think he could be putting up somethig like 19 and 9? Or do you think he would score less because the defensive pressure would be on him instead of surrounding lebron/wade/bosh?

PejaNowitzki
01-09-2012, 05:42 AM

3/4 from downtown

This guy is a double-double machine with a deft outside shooting touch. Get the Suns a dominant shooting guard/small forward combo and that team will be scary. Gortat+Morris+???????=profit.

FKAri
01-09-2012, 05:44 AM
Shumpert, Faried (even though he's had very little game time so far), and Cole.

Also just a thought, say Norris Cole was drafted onto a team like say, Cleveland and could step into a starting PG spot with no real stud players around him, do you think he could be putting up somethig like 19 and 9? Or do you think he would score less because the defensive pressure would be on him instead of surrounding lebron/wade/bosh?

Ive watched every Heat game. He's a combo guard who looks to score first and is lightning quick with finishing ability around the basket. Hes got a good spot up jumper to boot. Hes very polished in general (conditioning, mentally, defense, etc.).

Cole would be putting up similar numbers on a scrub team as well, if not better. In Miami he's perfect off the bench as a scoring punch as well as intensity and surprising poise.

PJR
01-09-2012, 06:15 AM
Cole easily.

dunksby
01-09-2012, 06:18 AM
Norris Cole so far, but Reggie Jackson showed a lot of promise last night.

Zenji
01-09-2012, 08:12 AM
http://thatsenuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Nets-Marshon-Brooks-1.jpg

livingby3's
01-09-2012, 08:17 AM
This guy is a double-double machine with a deft outside shooting touch. Get the Suns a dominant shooting guard/small forward combo and that team will be scary. Gortat+Morris+???????=profit.

a brandon roy type player, who can create and take over. but where do we find one? :oldlol:

Burgz
01-09-2012, 08:47 AM
faried

roffie
01-09-2012, 11:00 AM
http://thatsenuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Nets-Marshon-Brooks-1.jpg

looks like #8 kobe in this picture:oldlol:

iDunk
01-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Marshon Brooks is the 1st round steal so far ..

In the 2nd round? Either Jon Leuer or Josh Herrellson.

pegasus
01-09-2012, 12:54 PM
looks like #8 kobe in this picture:oldlol:

I think he did say that he looks up to Kobe, and is trying to develop a similar game. Good luck with that:lol

I do see his potential, though. He's just not a very young rookie.

GOBB
01-09-2012, 12:59 PM
I think he did say that he looks up to Kobe, and is trying to develop a similar game. Good luck with that:lol

I do see his potential, though. He's just not a very young rookie.

Too bad Bulls didnt see the potential.

dee-rose
01-09-2012, 01:46 PM
Too bad Bulls didnt see the potential.
Nikola Mirotic will be better.

Droid101
01-09-2012, 02:41 PM
I picked him up on my Fantasy Squad. He's paying off already, and will only get better as the year goes on.

bagelred
01-09-2012, 03:05 PM
It still amazes me with all the scouts, advance statistics, analysis, etc. that they still so many great talents drop in the draft.........

No joke. i watched one preseason game between Knicks/Nets and I knew right away this Brooks guy is going to be really good. He made scoring seem effortless. Why can't the scouts see that?

GOBB
01-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Nikola Mirotic will be better.

How many years will that take? Marshon is ballin right now.

dee-rose
01-09-2012, 03:29 PM
How many years will that take? Marshon is ballin right now.
He's the best young star in the Euroleague. Got MVP of the month last month, and he'll probably be here in 2 years... for the Bulls it doesn't matter who we draft right now because Thibbs isn't gonna play rookies unless he absolutely has to.

GOBB
01-09-2012, 04:05 PM
He's the best young star in the Euroleague. Got MVP of the month last month, and he'll probably be here in 2 years... for the Bulls it doesn't matter who we draft right now because Thibbs isn't gonna play rookies unless he absolutely has to.

Of course it doesnt matter. No need for a SG. :rolleyes:

Dasher
01-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Instead of resting on Mirotic probably coming over in two years, you could have had a player helping you win now. A player who had a reputation as a defensive stopper before he became a scoring machine.

D12"Magic"
01-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Cole is looking good but im not sure if he can keep it up.

boozehound
01-09-2012, 04:22 PM
http://i.imgur.com/bkx7K.jpg

I know most people here didn't watch the Suns play this season,
But let me tell you about Markieff Morris.

This guy is just great.

definitely been a very good player so far. I kinda expected him to transition well and thought many scouts were sleeping on him. Cole has been a very big surprise as well.

D12"Magic"
01-09-2012, 04:33 PM
I wouldn't consider Morris a steal compared to other rookies considering he was picked 13th and guys like Cole, Shumpert, Brooks have all been playing just as well if not better and were picked later.

Rab
01-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Morris has been a pleasant surprise to me. Honestly, I didn't expect him to get many minutes this season. I had no idea he has the range he has, and his shot looks effortless and smooth. He plays with the calm of a veteran, and I really dig his hustle and willingness to board. He's a little undersized, but in this Suns system, he seems to fit nicely. Not really sure what his ceiling is, but I am pleasantly surprised with his production so far.

I think this draft was deep, but not with stars. I think a lot of players who were in the draft will have long productive careers though. It's been interesting to watch.

GOBB
01-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Instead of resting on Mirotic probably coming over in two years, you could have had a player helping you win now. A player who had a reputation as a defensive stopper before he became a scoring machine.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh be quiet, Bulls dont need Marshon Brooks. They can win a title without him. Bulls know what they are doing, you're just a couch potato with an opinion. And I think your opinion sucks.

- Bulls fan prior to NBA draft

Cermet
01-09-2012, 05:53 PM
This was a weird draft anyone can be a steal
Burks, Morris, Leonard, Vucevic, Shumpert, Singleton, Cole, Mirotic should be good when he comes, Brooks, Parson and Leuer are decent too.

btw what happened to nolan smith from the blazers?

I think the Blazers are the toughest team for a rookie in the nba . They never get minutes.

PejaNowitzki
01-09-2012, 09:54 PM
I wouldn't consider Morris a steal compared to other rookies considering he was picked 13th and guys like Cole, Shumpert, Brooks have all been playing just as well if not better and were picked later.

Of course he's a steal, he's putting better numbers than guys picked 10 spots in front of him. He's in the top 10 in scoring and leads all rookies in rebounding thus far. He's 3rd in 3-pointers made among rookies and is knocking them down at an almost 60% clip, so far, he looks like an absolute, ridiculous steal.

GOBB
01-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Of course he's a steal, he's putting better numbers than guys picked 10 spots in front of him. He's in the top 10 in scoring and leads all rookies in rebounding thus far. He's 3rd in 3-pointers made among rookies and is knocking them down at an almost 60% clip, so far, he looks like an absolute, ridiculous steal.

10pts 6rb = steal? Interesting.

longtime lurker
01-09-2012, 10:49 PM
According to Heat fans I thought Norris Cole was the steal of the draft :confusedshrug: right now Marshon Brooks is looking legit.

D12"Magic"
01-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Brooks with another great game scoring 19 and grabbing 10 boards :applause:

bluechox2
01-09-2012, 11:33 PM
shumpert is nba ready, and playing really good

Jasper
01-09-2012, 11:39 PM
Template: " I honestly believe insert favorite teams rookie has been the steal of the draft. Good job, insert favorite teams GM !!!"

seems to me you did this 2 weeks ago , so there must of been the same thread back then :roll:

I lik Cole : He needs to develop , NBA is not easy for PG's and Centers out of the box.
With a season , he could be a real good player, reliable.

Jon Leuer for the Bucks .... super hussle guy :applause: (his shot was always smooth in Wisconsin, so what we see is what the Bucks got for a while) If he puts on 20-30 pounds , he could be a Love type player.

Zenji
01-10-2012, 12:14 AM
Brooks with another great game scoring 19 and grabbing 10 boards :applause:

:hammertime:

(e)
01-10-2012, 12:16 AM
Wish Brooks didn't have such stellar workouts. He could of been in a Bulls uni

GOBB
01-10-2012, 12:48 AM
Wish Brooks didn't have such stellar workouts. He could of been in a Bulls uni

Bulls could have took him. They chose not too.

dee-rose
01-10-2012, 01:37 AM
Of course it doesnt matter. No need for a SG. :rolleyes:
It really doesn't. We drafted a rookie who has shown that he clearly fits and deserves more minutes but he's not getting any playing time. That's just how Thibbs is. If Brooks came here it would be the same case. The guy just isn't gonna take the time to develop rookies. I'm not saying he wouldn't have been a good pick, but chances are his potential would be wasted on the bench and he'd be flipped for a draft pick to some team that likes him.

gutshot
01-10-2012, 01:46 AM
16th pick Nikola Vukevic (PHI) is extremely efficient too. Last night he had 11 points 8 rebounds in 18 minutes..

Clutch
01-10-2012, 02:13 AM
16th pick Nikola Vukevic (PHI) is extremely efficient too. Last night he had 11 points 8 rebounds in 18 minutes..
Great. He helps my fantasy team :lol