PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye NBA League Pass free trial. End date is January 8, 2012

1987_Lakers
01-09-2012, 12:49 AM
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/002/830/sad_frog.jpg

coin24
01-09-2012, 12:51 AM
Is that hookup still available???:confusedshrug:

Ive been loving the free league pass, but im not sure i want to pay $220 for it...

KBryant24
01-09-2012, 12:54 AM
I was unimpressed. I understand all the blackout rules and all of that, but we should be able to watch the nationlaly televised games in the archive centers the day after the games aired.

AirTupac
01-09-2012, 12:55 AM
Is that hookup still available???:confusedshrug:

Ive been loving the free league pass, but im not sure i want to pay $220 for it...

Nope. Deal is over.

EnoughSaid
01-09-2012, 12:57 AM
It becomes like under a 100 bucks after the all-star break.

Deuce Bigalow
01-09-2012, 12:57 AM
Nope. Deal is over.
Why is it over, what happened?

coin24
01-09-2012, 12:58 AM
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Couldnt they make it cheaper if they showed ads instead of "Game break in progress" black screen for minutes inbetween action??:confusedshrug: :confusedshrug:

AirTupac
01-09-2012, 12:58 AM
Why is it over, what happened?

He said the offer is over.

Deuce Bigalow
01-09-2012, 01:02 AM
He said the offer is over.
That sucks I really wanted that

Kingwillball
01-09-2012, 01:07 AM
They Should Give to the All star Break to Pay the Fans back for the lockout !

KBryant24
01-09-2012, 01:08 AM
They Should Give to the All star Break to Pay the Fans back for the lockout !
the lockout is the reason why i won't buy it. they don't deserve my hard earned money.

coin24
01-09-2012, 01:50 AM
I enjoyed being able to watch whichever game i wanted, but honestly it was only 1 or 2 whole games out of the 7-10 most days.. So many blowouts/shitty teams that are too painful to watch..

$220 for ILP is a little steep, but might have to get it as watching streams is pretty bad. Have to see how much i miss it i guess:oldlol:

sundizz
01-09-2012, 04:22 AM
I break it down simply; it costs $160 for the International League Pass where I live (S.Korea)

I watch every day 1 or 2 games when I get home from work. I make sure to stay off my fantasy team, NBA.com, insidehoops forum etc so it also makes me more productive from 9 to 5.

Let's say on average I watch 1.5 games a day from Xmas to mid June. That is about 5.75 months of watching X 30 days a month X 1.5 games/hours a day = 258 games/hours watched over the course of the year. It evens out since obviously I miss some days, but weekends I'l watch 3 or 4 games.

That breaks down to me paying 160/258 = 62 cents an hour that I am paying to watch hoops. I think that is a solid deal. There is almost nothing else I could do that would be even close to that cheap and give me close to that much entertainment. Even GOING to play basketball everyday is more expensive as I'd have to spend about $1.30 on the subway ride.

Do the 'coffee money trick' and spend $7 less a week on something dumb (3 slices of pizza, 2 coffees, etc). You can make up the cost of League Pass really easily. I don't get how people complain spending this minimal amount of money for something is archived, available live, and in really good HD nowadays. The value for your buck is unmatched if you truly enjoy basketball.

RoseCity07
01-09-2012, 04:24 AM
It's not worth the money. If they could some how televise these games in 1080i or have no commercials it would be worth it. 220 a year is way over priced.

I wish ISH could coordinate a torrent site where posters record and upload the games for everyone to download.

AirTupac
01-09-2012, 04:27 AM
It's not worth the money. If they could some how televise these games in 1080i or have no commercials it would be worth it. 220 a year is way over priced.

I wish ISH could coordinate a torrent site where posters record and upload the games for everyone to download.

Hulk did that last year but it went out of control and eventually the NBA found out what he was doing and stopped it (I don't know the exact details).

takeittothehoop
01-09-2012, 04:37 AM
I still don't know whether I will get it or not. I'll see how I go without being able to watch it for a few days, If I'm craving NBA real bad then I don't really have a choice..:confusedshrug:

NugzFan
01-09-2012, 04:40 AM
is it really 220? http://www.nba.com/leaguepass/ - this says 170.

should be less since its 66 games instead of 82.

is there any way to purchase just a few teams?

OmniStrife
01-09-2012, 04:47 AM
I can afford it and I'm a satisfied ILP user for 3 years now.

takeittothehoop
01-09-2012, 04:47 AM

Price depends on where you live. It's $220 here in Australia. And you can buy a team pass where you only get one teams games but that is only marginally cheaper than the regular package.

While I do believe it is a ripoff, you get all playoffs and finals games which was previously sold separately for like $80. Thats something at least...

NugzFan
01-09-2012, 04:48 AM
Price depends on where you live. It's $220 here in Australia. And you can buy a team pass where you only get one teams games but that is only marginally cheaper than the regular package.

While I do believe it is a ripoff, you get all playoffs and finals games which was previously sold separately for like $80. Thats something at least...

where is the link to the one team deal? how much is it?

arent all playoff games already shown on national tv?

LJJ
01-09-2012, 05:06 AM
Anyone looking to buy League Pass International, you can get 15% off if you use promotion code RETSUB2011.

I don't know if it also works for the regular broadband.

gabeh1018
01-09-2012, 05:25 AM
if you just want to listen to the games on the league pass application on your smart phone as opposed to watching them online etc. is it cheaper than 200 +? Or is that not possible?

takeittothehoop
01-09-2012, 05:34 AM
Anyone looking to buy League Pass International, you can get 15% off if you use promotion code RETSUB2011.

wow thanks a bunch for that man. Repped :cheers: :rockon:

InspiredLebowski
01-09-2012, 05:48 AM
You'd think for the price you'd at least get some beautiful crystal clear HD. The picture quality's embarrassing, they need to take some lessons from the NFL.

coin24
01-09-2012, 06:14 AM

Might have to look into this, I know i won't be able to go without watching bball:lol
Only espn shows games here in Australia now, and only 2 games a wk:facepalm

Clutch
01-09-2012, 06:24 AM
It should have been cheaper but overall I don't think it's too expensive.

For International fans it's the only way they can watch every NBA game in high quality.
For those who watch a lot of games (100+ per year) I don't think it's too much to pay around $150 for that experience.

Shepseskaf
01-09-2012, 06:45 AM
Once more the league blows a golden opportunity. Who keeps saying that Dictator Stern is a "smart businessman"?

Especially given the negativity of the lockout, the NBA should have offered a season's subscription for something like $50. It would have instantly made the package attractive to even casual fans, and any shortfall in revenues would have been more than made up in total volume of orders.

As it stands, they're not going to get nearly the amount of orders that League Pass could bring in. Way to maximize profits, you greedy fools.

EDIT: The free preview is still operating this morning, because I'm watching it now. I guess after today, it will end.

NugzFan
01-09-2012, 03:38 PM
i think i just got a good deal. just ordered nba league pass over the phone through my cable provider.

online it says its $169 http://www.nba.com/leaguepass/

but when i called he says $199

so i asked "but online, it says $169, right?"

he puts me on hold and comes back with $25 off my regular tv bill for 6 months ($150 total). i didnt even ask for it. i still pay full price for league pass but i think i basically just got it for $50. ($200 - $150 credit). hopefully when i get my bill it shows exactly what he said.

NoGunzJustSkillz
01-09-2012, 03:42 PM

Why is that even important?

Alan
01-09-2012, 03:44 PM
End date should be January 9th which means today's games are still available.

And use "FPREVUSR2012" code to get 10% off.

(e)
I got league pass for less than $10 :banana:

niko
i paid $169. the fact we could use ipad to watch sold it for me. With all the running around i need to do at home, having it on the ipad is a godsend.

Faptastrophe
01-09-2012, 03:46 PM

shhh!
http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af26/Mamma4ever/LJ/angry/shh.gif

(e)
01-09-2012, 03:52 PM
shhh!
http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af26/Mamma4ever/LJ/angry/shh.gif

I don't think you understand, sir. :pimp:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-09-2012, 03:52 PM

Hook it up, boss :pimp:

MK2V1GP
01-09-2012, 04:28 PM

Two years ago they had a package called "Choice" where you could select 5 teams to watch all year long online.

I went ahead and got the whole package this year. If you have Directv, just call and talk them down on the price. They will come down $10-$20 per month. They did for me. Just say you'd like to get it but you need a little help from them on the price.

I got it for less than $20 a month for 6 months.

Andrei89
01-09-2012, 04:35 PM

stfu

StroShow4
01-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Is 200 dollars such a bad deal if you watch a game or more every single day? I consider it a bargain.

inclinerator
01-09-2012, 06:04 PM
the lockout is the reason why i won't buy it. they don't deserve my parents hard earned money.
fixed

LJJ
01-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Is 200 dollars such a bad deal if you watch a game or more every single day? I consider it a bargain.

Of course not. If you are the die hard fan who has tons of free time and no problem with spending all of that time on NBA, then the current League Pass is perfect for you. But how many people can watch "a game or more" every single day?

Some people here have a fulltime job, college, a family, a social life, other interests besides the NBA, or whatever else they have to tend to. Basketball is a big hobby of mine, but that doesn't mean there aren't weeks on end when I can barely watch a game a week.

Why doesn't the NBA provide an option for fans who only want or are able to watch games some of the time? Why isn't there a 4 dollar day pass? Why isn't there something like "archive pass"? If the NBA really wants to start pulling in significant cash from it's foreign markets, I don't think it's going to happen by charging us twice as much as domestic customers even though the average ILP user uses much less bandwidth.

NugzFan
01-09-2012, 06:30 PM
They really should offer a one team plan

Alan
01-09-2012, 06:33 PM
:facepalm There is a team pass.

https://ilp.nba.com/nbalp/secure/registerform

StroShow4
01-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Why doesn't the NBA provide an option for fans who only want or are able to watch games some of the time?

National TV games on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, and Sundays, plus your local team and games on NBAtv, which most people get with their basic package? :confusedshrug:

I dunno, I guess I just don't think the current options are so bad. If you watch a ton of NBA, LP is a bargain. Even if you don't, 200 bucks (mine was only 170) isn't that much. If you don't want to pay anything, you still get games at least 4 days in most weeks.

EDIT: Also, this is InsideHOOPS.com. I always assume that the people I am talking to watch a lot of basketball.

Blue&Orange
01-09-2012, 06:35 PM
ILP have it, is

33teeth
01-09-2012, 06:38 PM
The options they have are just fine. Compare it to the NFL options.

I paid something like $100 for 5 teams for the whole year. :confusedshrug:

kNIOKAS
01-09-2012, 06:42 PM
It was OK run. Ability to re-watch and great quality:cheers:
I think for us in Europe it's different than some to you in US, when you say you couldn't watch national tv games/home state games. Feel for you.

Anyway, back on streaming sites, and it's all great :rockon:

NugzFan
:facepalm There is a team pass.

https://ilp.nba.com/nbalp/secure/registerform

Sorry link isn't working on my phone. Is that available in US? Is it available for tv? How Much is it?

MK2V1GP
Of course not. If you are the die hard fan who has tons of free time and no problem with spending all of that time on NBA, then the current League Pass is perfect for you. But how many people can watch "a game or more" every single day?

Some people here have a fulltime job, college, a family, a social life, other interests besides the NBA, or whatever else they have to tend to. Basketball is a big hobby of mine, but that doesn't mean there aren't weeks on end when I can barely watch a game a week.

Why doesn't the NBA provide an option for fans who only want or are able to watch games some of the time? Why isn't there a 4 dollar day pass? Why isn't there something like "archive pass"? If the NBA really wants to start pulling in significant cash from it's foreign markets, I don't think it's going to happen by charging us twice as much as domestic customers even though the average ILP user uses much less bandwidth.

I got LP and my job requires me to be out most Monday, Tuesday and Friday nights. Thank God for DVR. It still sucks even with DVR though, b/c it's not the same watching it recorded as watching it live.

But it's the only way to get all of the games and see certain teams play, like the T'wolves, who otherwise, I would've only been able to watch like 3 times all year after the free trial.

NugzFan
01-09-2012, 06:44 PM
[QUOTE=Blue&Orange]ILP have it, is

StroShow4
01-09-2012, 06:44 PM
I guess I'm just happy League Pass exists. Too grateful to complain about options, packages, price, and sh!t.

LJJ
01-09-2012, 06:48 PM
National TV games on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, and Sundays, plus your local team and games on NBAtv, which most people get with their basic package? :confusedshrug:

I dunno, I guess I just don't think the current options are so bad. If you watch a ton of NBA, LP is a bargain. Even if you don't, 200 bucks (mine was only 170) isn't that much. If you don't want to pay anything, you still get games at least 4 days in most weeks.

Coverage in the US isn't really a problem. I realize most of you folks can get most of the local games on local TV and have the nationalized games. But internationally it's an entirely different story.

I know for me I can either:
-Pay for subscription sports TV, which is about $20 a month. They show three random NBA games a week.
-NBA ILP which is $220 for all the games, or $170 for 5% of all the games.

I'll shell out for the discounted ILP after the All Star break and until that time I'll just illegally download the games I want to see. That works fine for me.
But I'm just saying, I know plenty of people who would get into the NBA more if there were some better options available. NBA is hurting themselves with this.

talk at ya
01-09-2012, 06:50 PM
I would honestly pay for league pass if it weren't for the blackouts. I share a TV with my roommate during the nationally televised games either she is watching the TV or I'm not home. These are the main games I would want to watch (besides Pistons games) and I can't get them on LP. Like someone else said, I wish they could at least archive them.

StroShow4
01-09-2012, 06:57 PM
Coverage in the US isn't really a problem. I realize most of you folks can get most of the local games on local TV and have the nationalized games. But internationally it's an entirely different story.

My comments only apply to people in the USA. I wasn't even considering how it works overseas... I have no idea how NBA coverage is for you folks.

Blue&Orange
01-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Ilp=international?

Doesn't help me.

They should have a one team plan for the US
I remember like 2 years ago everyone in the US was upset how ilp had better image quality\streaming. Maybe ilp is like the beta version, that could mean next year US gets a team pass option. :D

Optimus Prime
01-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Pay up son. League Pass is well worth it if you are an NBA fan. $220 though...mine was way less than that...probably because I auto-renewed from last year.

The blackout rules suck though. If I am ordering the expensive League Pass, I should be able to watch any game that I please. :mad:

Crown&Coke
01-09-2012, 07:26 PM
EDIT: Also, this is InsideHOOPS.com. I always assume that the people I am talking to watch a lot of basketball.

:no:

we watch box scores and highlights

chips93
01-09-2012, 07:33 PM
the freeview is still working for me :pimp:

NugzFan
01-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Is ilp international or Internet league pass?

IGOTGAME
01-09-2012, 08:24 PM
the freeview is still working for me :pimp:

same here. I figured out why at least for me. I had lp broadband last year but decided to cancel this year. But for some reason anyone who cancelled broadband will get a free view until 2/15/2012! But if you didn't cancel they may automatically renew your account(this happened to me 2 years ago).

so, free league pass for another month!

oolalaa
01-09-2012, 08:25 PM
International league pass >>>>>>> regular league pass :banana:

Rekindled
01-09-2012, 08:30 PM
still works for me :rockon: :rockon:

chips93
01-09-2012, 09:00 PM
same here. I figured out why at least for me. I had lp broadband last year but decided to cancel this year. But for some reason anyone who cancelled broadband will get a free view until 2/15/2012! But if you didn't cancel they may automatically renew your account(this happened to me 2 years ago).

so, free league pass for another month!

i dont know why it still works for me.

ive never had league pass before, i didnt even use the freeview last year. im in europe, so maybe that has something to do with it.

ill end up buying it anyway, so its not a big deal.

Faptastrophe
01-09-2012, 09:08 PM
Works for me to. Maybe for us Europeans it's free for the whole season :D

And if not.. there's always THE second option. :rolleyes:

Faptastrophe
01-09-2012, 09:27 PM
is that second potion still available? i heard hes not taking on any more customers.
http://i.imgur.com/bFHEv.png

Rekindled
01-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Works for me to. Maybe for us Europeans it's free for the whole season :D

And if not.. there's always THE second option. :rolleyes:

im in the US , and it also works

Grinder
01-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Bought it on Dish and the "second option" to avoid blackouts and use it when I travel. Well worth it.