PDA

View Full Version : Active Triple-double leaders: 1. Jason Kidd w/ 105... 2. Grant Hill w/ 29

FourthTenor
01-09-2012, 12:59 AM
Kidd - 105
Hill - 29
James - 29
Bryant - 17
Garnett - 16

Only seven players in all of basketball history have more than 29 triple doubles, and Jason Kidd has 105.

Really puts his career in perspective. There's a reason triple doubles are vaunted. Getting 10+ assists and 10+ rebounds in the same game? Most guards don't average 10 assists alone and most forwards don't average 10 rebounds alone. Getting both in one night over a hundred times? And in his prime being able to guard just about any perimeter player? Mind blowing.

It's unfortunate so many players end up being judged by the circumstances out of their control. Jason Kidd could have easily been the point guard for a dynasty team that won multiple titles. It's not his fault he was repeatedly going into battle flanked by Wince Harder and Richard 'heeyyyyy' Jefferson.

Mike Wilbon and Tony Kornheiser sum up their 30 seconds of debate by saying "rings!" in order to get to commercial break, so of course most of you do the same because you saw it on TV. One could easily make the argument for Kidd as the #2 PG of all time, but of course if you did ISH would be in an uproar bleeting their cliches about "rings" as "the man!" and all the other foolish nonsense talking points you've been trained to repeat instead of thinking.

Anyway, show the Kidd some respect!

rhythmic
01-09-2012, 01:01 AM
Really surprised Kobe is ahead of Garnett considering he played under the triangle offense most of his career and is a mass scorer.

But yeah Kidd is a legend. :bowdown:

DonDadda59
01-09-2012, 01:04 AM
Definitely one guy I was genuinely happy to see win a championship before he retired. One of the highest basketball IQs ever :applause:

Draz
01-09-2012, 01:06 AM
So it's official, Kidd > Kobe. :lol

Kingwillball
01-09-2012, 01:09 AM
I remember One season on the Nets he had like 20 Trip Dubs and a stretch of 4 or 5 games straight with one.

L.Kizzle
01-09-2012, 01:10 AM
McGrady might have the most almost triple double. He had many games with 10+ pts, 10+ boards/assist but only 9 boards/assist. I think he has 6 triple doubles in total.

JGXEN
01-09-2012, 01:11 AM
Rondo has 14 right now. He'll overtake Kobe and KG easily by next season for sure

Eric Cartman
01-09-2012, 01:16 AM
Rondo has 14 right now. He'll overtake Kobe and KG easily by next season for sure

Why u have a sad celtics frog there my man?

EnoughSaid
01-09-2012, 01:17 AM
Why u have a sad celtics frog there my man?

Cuz Celtics are done. :oldlol:

kennethgriffin
01-09-2012, 01:17 AM
its an overrated stat.. especially for oscar robertson since back in his day 10 rebounds wasnt even that many.. a guy who was the same height ( elgin baylor ) that same year averaged nearly 20 rebounds a game

but yea... triple doubles are not something a player averaging allot of points should get because then the ball has to almost always be in their hands for every single play. and that stagnants the offense

i'm actually surprised lebron doesnt have allot more considering hes what? practically a big man that handles the ball for 20 seconds of the shot clock

nathanjizzle
01-09-2012, 01:20 AM
kidd grabbed 10 rebounds? kidd > rose :bowdown:

Bernie Nips
01-09-2012, 01:20 AM
its an overrated stat.. especially for oscar robertson since back in his day 10 rebounds wasnt even that many.. a guy who was the same height ( elgin baylor ) that same year averaged nearly 20 rebounds a game

Exactly. That's why EVERYONE was averaging a triple double, just like Oscar.

Oh wait...

FourthTenor
01-09-2012, 01:21 AM

but yea... triple doubles are not something a player averaging allot of points should get because then the ball has to almost always be in their hands for every single play. and that stagnants the offense

i'm actually surprised lebron doesnt have allot more considering hes what? practically a big man that handles the ball for 20 seconds of the shot clock

The list of career triple doubles is Oscar, Magic, Kidd, Wilt, Bird, Lever, Havliceck, Hill, James, Jordan, and Drexler. Not really a list comprised of players considered overrated.

You act like its a list headlined by VC and Marbury

no pun intended
01-09-2012, 01:25 AM
Hill with 29 and most of those coming from his Detroit years...

skan72
01-09-2012, 01:42 AM
Definitely one guy I was genuinely happy to see win a championship before he retired. One of the highest basketball IQs ever :applause:

Me too:applause: I was ecstatic to see all the old farts on Dallas win a ring, and was even more so because LeBron didn't. I'm a turrible person.

imdaman99
01-09-2012, 01:49 AM
Hill with 29 and most of those coming from his Detroit years...
most? thats an understatement. i dont remember him ever playing a game for the magic :oldlol: ok so yeah maybe he had a couple for them, but he was a wash of himself by than. and with the suns, he never has the ball enough to get them/and was old by than

odds are that almost ALL of them he had for detroit

HB40TheNextStar
01-09-2012, 02:01 AM
Grant Hill's last t-d was in 1999... So yeah. Pretty sick to have 29 in his first 5 seasons though.

SourPatchKids
01-09-2012, 02:09 AM
Grant Hill's last t-d was in 1999... So yeah. Pretty sick to have 29 in his first 5 seasons though.
:eek:

LockoutOver11
01-09-2012, 02:16 AM
Kidd is the greatest player ever:) haha...
But its not just the triple dubs,, its the genius he displays on the court. such a high iq,, which could still serve him to get a few more triple doubles before he retires... gotta hit them three's tho to get the points.

LoveIsMyMessage
01-09-2012, 02:20 AM
Grant Hill would be right there with Kidd if not for the injury. I remember Grant being a few ahead of Kidd back then. He was called Mr. Triple Double by newspapers and Espn back in the 90s.

It's the same story that followed Ken Griffey Jr., the baseball player. He would be right there in Homeruns with Hank and Bonds if not for the injury. Interesting thing is both also changed teams with those career changing injuries.

They were destined for great things, but instead are known as the what ifs....
Potential and Talent for greatness cut short.:rant

Sampsonsimpson
01-09-2012, 03:57 AM
Kidd has come somewhat close to averaging a triple double for a season multiple times.

PHO 98-99: 17/11/7 with 2 steals lol

The next season put up 14/10/7

07-08 he put up 10/10/7

And he actually averaged a triple double over 12 games in the 06-07 playoffs put up 15/11/11, over 12 games :bowdown: not to mention he has always played tough d, Jason Kidd was a beast

Simple Jack
01-09-2012, 04:24 AM
Triple doubles are really arbitrary. A game like 20 10 9 will be forgotten but 10 10 10 won't. It's become overrated in that context but still indicative of a great overall game.

ronnymac
01-09-2012, 04:44 AM
McGrady might have the most almost triple double. He had many games with 10+ pts, 10+ boards/assist but only 9 boards/assist. I think he has 6 triple doubles in total.
Against the heat he had 16-7-6 the other night. last season a few times he came 1 assists or a rebound short of a triple double.

ronnymac
01-09-2012, 04:48 AM
Ski sloped nose traitor snottie Pippen must have had a fair few along the journey.

Myth
01-09-2012, 05:24 AM
Kidd's prime seems to be undervalued frequently. I think he was better than Steve Nash, but Nash usually gets the nod from people because of his 2 MVPs even though he battled old Shaq for his MVPs while Kidd had to battle prime Shaq and prime Duncan, so of course he has no MVPs.

MochaUdoka
01-09-2012, 05:52 AM
Triple doubles are really arbitrary. A game like 20 10 9 will be forgotten but 10 10 10 won't. It's become overrated in that context but still indicative of a great overall game.

That's a very good point.

Someone mentioned earlier the fact that McGrady has come close to a triple double many times, but has actually achieved it only a handful of times. It would be interesting to see which players have the most "near triple doubles".

Odinn
01-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Kidd's averages in his triple-double games;
17.5 ppg / 11.4 rpg / 12.2 apg / 2.1 spg / .433 fg / .803 ft / .386 3pt.

He has 107 career triple-doubles.
Also missed a triple double coz of 1 assist or 1 point or 1 rebound 56 times.

He could have more than 150 triple-doubles.

pauk
01-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Lebron has a total of 40 triple doubles:

32 in the Regular season
7 in the Playoffs
1 in the All-Star Game

.....not 29.............

Sarcastic
01-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Lebron has a total of 40 triple doubles:

32 in the Regular season
7 in the Playoffs
1 in the All-Star Game

.....not 29.............

HAHA Did you really just list the All Star game?

get these NETS
01-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Kidd's prime seems to be undervalued frequently. I think he was better than Steve Nash, but Nash usually gets the nod from people because of his 2 MVPs even though he battled old Shaq for his MVPs while Kidd had to battle prime Shaq and prime Duncan, so of course he has no MVPs.

Kidd was clear MVP one year but....still had the stink on him from the domestic abuse case which led to him being traded to the Nets in the first place.

Even Duncan will tell you that the mvp belonged to Kidd that year.

get these NETS
01-09-2012, 01:24 PM
one of the most unique talents in the history of the league

never be another jason kidd aka dennis rodman's little brother

Blue&Orange
01-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Kidd - 105
Hill - 29
James - 29
Bryant - 17
Garnett - 16

Only seven players in all of basketball history have more than 29 triple doubles, and Jason Kidd has 105.

Really puts his career in perspective. There's a reason triple doubles are vaunted. Getting 10+ assists and 10+ rebounds in the same game? Most guards don't average 10 assists alone and most forwards don't average 10 rebounds alone. Getting both in one night over a hundred times? And in his prime being able to guard just about any perimeter player? Mind blowing.

It's unfortunate so many players end up being judged by the circumstances out of their control. Jason Kidd could have easily been the point guard for a dynasty team that won multiple titles. It's not his fault he was repeatedly going into battle flanked by Wince Harder and Richard 'heeyyyyy' Jefferson.

Mike Wilbon and Tony Kornheiser sum up their 30 seconds of debate by saying "rings!" in order to get to commercial break, so of course most of you do the same because you saw it on TV. One could easily make the argument for Kidd as the #2 PG of all time, but of course if you did ISH would be in an uproar bleeting their cliches about "rings" as "the man!" and all the other foolish nonsense talking points you've been trained to repeat instead of thinking.

Anyway, show the Kidd some respect!
Excuses, Kidd is a no impact player!! He could have been a Lebitch and team up with Kobe and Duncan. Image the amount of rings!!

Zenji
01-09-2012, 02:16 PM
His all around game and basketball IQ were absolutely off the charts. The man just always made the right decision and was always in the right spot at the right time. I never got to see prime Magic so it's hard for me to say but i did see prime Stockton, Payton & Nash and i would rather have Jason Kidd leading my team.

Zenji
01-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Excuses, Kidd is a no impact player!! He could have been a Lebitch and team up with Kobe and Duncan. Image the amount of rings!!

He was absolutely an impact player. :facepalm

Bring neg reps back.

Pushxx
01-09-2012, 04:02 PM
[QUOTE=rhythmic

BlackWhiteGreen
01-09-2012, 04:24 PM
What's the statistically best triple double each player has had? What's the best triple double ever stats-wise?