PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't there any good Greece players in the NBA?

Alan
01-09-2012, 11:48 AM
It just bumped into my head that Greece, as a basketball powerhouse hasn't produced any significant NBA talent. Why is that?

We have good players from Italy, Spain, France, Turkey.. Used to have couple from Lithuania and Russia, plenty of players from the Balkans. All the major basketball countries seem to rely on NBA talent but Greece's team consists of almost entirely of Euroleague players. I know, they have Kosta Koufos in the NBA, but he is far from being good in terms of league avarage.

Let's try to have some non-trolling posts before the Spanoulis hate overflows.

Luka27
01-09-2012, 11:54 AM
I think they are much better suited for European basketball, then NBA. I think some of them could play in NBA without problems, but wouldnt have the same role on teams as in Europe and also wouldnt get any more money then they already do.

alenleomessi
01-09-2012, 12:04 PM
They all suck, in fact their best player Spanoulis couldnt average more than 3 points in his prime

chains5000
01-09-2012, 12:06 PM
It may be a culture thing, with them not liking leaving Greece? I don't really know.

pegasus
01-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Because they are too Greecy. Ball slips out of their hands in fast-paced NBA games.

R.I.P.
01-09-2012, 12:18 PM
It may be a culture thing, with them not liking leaving Greece? I don't really know.

Yeah they all seem to be mama boys.

chains5000
01-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Not exactly what I meant.

HylianNightmare
01-09-2012, 01:10 PM
Because they are too Greecy. Ball slips out of their hands in fast-paced NBA games.
http://img.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/tdomf/174374/I%20see%20what%20you%20did%20there-700x560.jpg

get these NETS
01-09-2012, 01:12 PM
everybody hates bob costas, so there is a blackballing of "Greek" players...

Rooster
01-09-2012, 01:48 PM

Its funny VSpan mom was calling Rockets staff to beg for minutes for his son.:roll:

Nash
01-09-2012, 02:03 PM
G R E E K

kurple
01-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Kosta Koufos on the Nuggets is actually very good and promising. Still only 22

Sakkreth
01-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Greek basketball is slow paced and defensive minded.

Jon_Koncak
01-09-2012, 02:10 PM
There isnt any greek player that would go to NBA and have a major impact,i can't think of anyone being a starter,3-4 could be rotation players but chose to become stars in lower competition leagues(Fotsis,Spanoulis,Sofo).Koufos is American btw.

mattvNJ
01-09-2012, 02:46 PM
koufos is from ohio.... also euro products have been busts for the most part. I do think they have some talent over there.

Maga_1
01-09-2012, 02:49 PM
There isnt any greek player that would go to NBA and have a major impact,i can't think of anyone being a starter,3-4 could be rotation players but chose to become stars in lower competition leagues(Fotsis,Spanoulis,Sofo).Koufos is American btw.

He is? That's new :oldlol:

mattvNJ
01-09-2012, 02:54 PM

he's greek-american, and was born in Ohio. Seems pretty American to me.

Jon_Koncak
01-09-2012, 03:08 PM

r u serious?Born in Usa,grew in Usa, learned the game there,he hardly speaks greek,he only chose to play in Greek NT because he didnt have any chance of joining team USA.

delmar
01-09-2012, 03:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb6UnFvBIhE

Fiasco
01-10-2012, 05:24 AM
They're all in Arkansas.

InspiredLebowski
01-10-2012, 05:47 AM
I speak fluent English, therefore I am from England.

Alan
01-10-2012, 11:16 AM
How the **** does this belong in International Basketball Forum? :roll:

Euroleague
01-11-2012, 12:59 AM
Koufos speaks fluent Greek.

Also,

Peja
Jaric
Seikaly
Tsakalidis
Rasho
Koufos

There have been plenty of good Greek players in the NBA.

Fiba basketball
01-11-2012, 08:46 PM

Also,

Peja
Jaric
Seikaly
Tsakalidis
Rasho
Koufos

Jaric and Stojakovic are from Serbia

Euroleague
01-12-2012, 05:18 AM
Jaric and Stojakovic are from Serbia

And they speak Greek, write Greek, are Greek citizens, live in Greece as kids, played in the Greek League, etc.

In fact, Peja has lived in Greece since he was 16 years old.

So it's a bit disingenuous to claim that these guys can't be considered Greek. They are just as much Greek, if not more, as Olajuwon, Ewing, Wilkins, Boozer, etc. are considered Americans.

Or as Parker is considered French.

Or as Delfino, Scola, Ginobili are considered Argentine, etc.

Using the same standard and criteria, they can be considered as Greek players.

JtotheIzzo
01-12-2012, 05:23 AM

Also,

Peja
Jaric
Seikaly
Tsakalidis
Rasho
Koufos

You f*ckin idiot liar

Peja - Serb
Jaric - Serb
Seikaly - Lebanese
Tsakalidis - Georgian
Rasho - Slovenian

Do you consider Shaquille O'Neal to be Irish as well?:oldlol:

you f*cking dolt!

Fiba basketball
01-12-2012, 07:02 AM
And they speak Greek, write Greek, are Greek citizens, live in Greece as kids, played in the Greek League, etc.

In fact, Peja has lived in Greece since he was 16 years old.

So it's a bit disingenuous to claim that these guys can't be considered Greek. They are just as much Greek, if not more, as Olajuwon, Ewing, Wilkins, Boozer, etc. are considered Americans.

Or as Parker is considered French.

Or as Delfino, Scola, Ginobili are considered Argentine, etc.

Using the same standard and criteria, they can be considered as Greek players.
Their parents are from Serbia , they were born in Serbia and they played for Serbian NT .

Euroleague
01-12-2012, 07:03 AM
You f*ckin idiot liar

Peja - Serb
Jaric - Serb
Seikaly - Lebanese
Tsakalidis - Georgian
Rasho - Slovenian

Do you consider Shaquille O'Neal to be Irish as well?:oldlol:

you f*cking dolt!

Ewing = Jamaican
Irving = Australian
Parker = Belgian
Wilkins = French
Boozer = German

Euroleague
01-12-2012, 07:06 AM
Their parents are from Serbia , they were born in Serbia and they played for Serbian NT .

Peja speaks Greek, writes Greek. He is married to a Greek woman. He has Greek kids. He played in the Greek League before he came to the NBA.

He has lived in Greece since he was 16 years old and still lives there now. He is a Greek citizen since age 16 also.

So you are telling me that a guy that is married to a Greek, has Greek kids, is a Greek citizen, speaks and writes in Greek language, and has lived in Greece since he was 16 years old, cannot be considered Greek?

Really? Please explain under what criteria he cannot be considered Greek.

And FYI, both Jaric and Peja requested to play for the Greek national team. They did not play for the senior team of Serbia until after the Greek Basketball Federation denied their request to play for Greece's senior national team because they did not want to cause a media stir.

So their first choice was to play for Greece's national team.

And if Peja isn't Greek, then why did he serve in the Greek military? Did he do that just for the hell of it?

Fiba basketball
01-12-2012, 07:42 AM
Peja speaks Greek, writes Greek. He is married to a Greek woman. He has Greek kids. He played in the Greek League before he came to the NBA.

He has lived in Greece since he was 16 years old and still lives there now. He is a Greek citizen since age 16 also.

So you are telling me that a guy that is married to a Greek, has Greek kids, is a Greek citizen, speaks and writes in Greek language, and has lived in Greece since he was 16 years old, cannot be considered Greek?

Really? Please explain under what criteria he cannot be considered Greek.

And FYI, both Jaric and Peja requested to play for the Greek national team. They did not play for the senior team of Serbia until after the Greek Basketball Federation denied their request to play for Greece's senior national team because they did not want to cause a media stir.

So their first choice was to play for Greece's national team.

And if Peja isn't Greek, then why did he serve in the Greek military? Did he do that just for the hell of it?
Because his parents are not from Greek and he wasnt born there . So if I moved to Greece I would be considered Greek ?

Euroleague
01-12-2012, 08:05 AM
Because his parents are not from Greek and he wasnt born there . So if I moved to Greece I would be considered Greek ?

I never said he was not considered Serbian. The problem is the claim that he is not considered Greek. Because he is considered Greek. It's a simple fact.

And then why is Parker French if his father is American and he was born in Belgium? Why did Ewing, Wilkins, Olajuwon, Kyrie Irving, Boozer, etc. all play for Team USA when they were all born in foreign countries?

It's completely and totally irrelevant to whether or not he is Greek. Because it is a fact that he is Greek, since he is a Greek citizen and has lived in Greece since he was 16 years old.

Believe it or not, he can be both Serbian and Greek. He's a Greek of Serb descent, and anyone claiming otherwise is simply wrong.

He would not have served in the Greek military if he was not Greek, married a Greek woman, had kids born in Greece, learned to read and write the language, still live there to this day, etc. There isn't even a valid debate here.

BTW, he already said that if his kids ever played basketball for a national team, it would be for Greece and not Serbia.

Fiba basketball
01-12-2012, 09:02 AM
I never said he was not considered Serbian. The problem is the claim that he is not considered Greek. Because he is considered Greek. It's a simple fact.

And then why is Parker French if his father is American and he was born in Belgium? Why did Ewing, Wilkins, Olajuwon, Kyrie Irving, Boozer, etc. all play for Team USA when they were all born in foreign countries?

It's completely and totally irrelevant to whether or not he is Greek. Because it is a fact that he is Greek, since he is a Greek citizen and has lived in Greece since he was 16 years old.

Believe it or not, he can be both Serbian and Greek. He's a Greek of Serb descent, and anyone claiming otherwise is simply wrong.

He would not have served in the Greek military if he was not Greek, married a Greek woman, had kids born in Greece, learned to read and write the language, still live there to this day, etc. There isn't even a valid debate here.

BTW, he already said that if his kids ever played basketball for a national team, it would be for Greece and not Serbia.
Give me a link or I wont belive anything you said . If he wanted to play for Greek NT why didnt they allow him to play ? He was best shooter in the world and they didnt want him ?? And I dont think Parker should play for France NT because he isnt from France and his parents are not from France too . For others I dont know are their parents americans if they arent then these players shouldnt be consideret as Americans and shouldnt play for USA NT .

Euroleague
01-13-2012, 04:03 AM
Give me a link or I wont belive anything you said . If he wanted to play for Greek NT why didnt they allow him to play ? He was best shooter in the world and they didnt want him ?? And I dont think Parker should play for France NT because he isnt from France and his parents are not from France too . For others I dont know are their parents americans if they arent then these players shouldnt be consideret as Americans and shouldnt play for USA NT .

No point even discussing this with you. Peja has lived in Greece since he was 16. Yet you refuse to even consider him as a Greek. It's not even worth arguing about. You are closed minded

Fiba basketball
01-13-2012, 07:16 AM
Give me a link and I will belive you .