PDA

View Full Version : Rajon Rondo vs. Chris Paul

Lebron23
01-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Who do you think is the better player and the better PG this season?

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Boston+Celtics+v+San+Antonio+Spurs+xPlCsSEejHDl.jp g

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Chris+Paul+Los+Angeles+Clippers+v+Golden+State+MCs zGElM9yxl.jpg

Real Men Wear Green
01-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Overall is debatable but Rondo clearly has him beaten in choice of socks.

Kyle_korver
01-14-2012, 12:18 PM
The guy with the jumpshot

Real Men Wear Green
01-14-2012, 12:21 PM
The guy with the jumpshot
Rondo has now developed a jumper. Still struggling with the FTs though.

Pushxx
01-14-2012, 12:35 PM
Rondo is basically a one man team right now. He got soooo many open shots for the Celtics against the Bulls and Mavericks and nothing was going down.

Pierce and KG are stinking it up bigtime. It's cringe-worthy. When Rondo is on the break there is nobody with him rofl

roffie
01-14-2012, 12:49 PM
i'll take rondo.. cp3 is no where near as good as he use to be and now that rondo has developed some form of a jumpshot.. i think the contest is alot closer than people think.

income the cp3 overraters...

DMV2
01-14-2012, 12:51 PM
That was for the Christmas game. :lol

demons2005
01-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Rondo passed CP a long time ago. The CP overraters of course will come in and drown out rational debate like they always do. Also Rondo has never demanded a trade

knightfall88
01-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Rondo isn't even a top 10 PG. You could even make a case for Rubio being better

roffie
01-14-2012, 01:13 PM

is this a joke?:facepalm :facepalm

Lebron23
01-14-2012, 01:15 PM

You are an idiot. 16 ppg, and 10 apg, and 2 spg is a good stats-line for a top 10 PG in the NBA. He's the Celtics best player this season.

demons2005
01-14-2012, 01:16 PM
speak of the devil they have arrived.
look at Rondo's numbers and what he's done the last couple years with a team of retirement home players

look at CP's numbers and what he's doing now or not doing with a team of allstars, and what he did last year with a balanced supporting cast

ShowTime LA
01-14-2012, 01:16 PM
http://i.imgur.com/x7D3m.gif

Lebron23
01-14-2012, 01:17 PM
is this a joke?:facepalm :facepalm

Knightfall is a Kobetard. Please don't take his post seriously.

winwin
01-14-2012, 01:18 PM
OP stop making threads

colorz
01-14-2012, 01:19 PM
I'll take Chris Paul, more dependable down the stretch. Chris has a dependable jumpshot as well as the ability make free throws at the end of games.

demons2005
01-14-2012, 01:20 PM
LOL are you serious? CP was 1-5 vs the heat in the 4th quarter

ShowTime LA
01-14-2012, 01:22 PM
Is their any other clear cut ignorant posters than lebron23? Dudes a joke

Lebron23
01-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Is their any other clear cut ignorant posters than lebron23? Dudes a joke

http://www.lezebre.lu/images/get-off-my-nuts.gif

colorz
01-14-2012, 01:32 PM
LOL are you serious? CP was 1-5 vs the heat in the 4th quarter

He iced the christmas day game making 3 jumpshots in a row. Also in the clippers first game against the blazers he hit a 3 pointer and made 2 big layups. He also blocked crawfords 3 point attempt.

alenleomessi
01-14-2012, 01:38 PM
Ok, those who think its debatable, check out tonights game between clippers and lakers

ashlar
01-14-2012, 02:00 PM
They're equals if shots outside of 15 feet don't count for anything.

rule1223
01-14-2012, 02:02 PM
rondo clearly, second best point guard in the NBA, hes carrying the old ass celts by himself this year. Everyone on the team is honestly just waiting for rondo to set them up, they cant do shit without him

Clippersfan86
01-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Did CP3 have these haters before he joined the Clippers? :oldlol: . Rondo isn't worthy to be mentioned in the same breath as CP3 and never has been. Even CP3 at 75 percent>Rondo normally. Funny thing is Rondo is having a big year because everybody around him is struggling and he's having to carry more.

CP3 is playing with another franchise player/superstar who's averaging what 23 or 24 ppg? Then he's playing with other 16 ppg scorers in Butler and Billups. 16, 9 and 3 while getting used to new teammates and when you're not conditioned early in season is still elite for a PG.

Chris Paul may have went 1-5 down the stretch vs Miami... but his clutch plays are what got the Clippers control of the game and cut the leads down. Whether it was getting steals, making the right passes or hitting jumper.

Clippersfan86
01-14-2012, 02:06 PM
rondo clearly, second best point guard in the NBA, hes carrying the old ass celts by himself this year. Everyone on the team is honestly just waiting for rondo to set them up, they cant do shit without him

Carrying them to 4-5. Sounds amazing. Guess who the Celtics have played so far?

Knicks
Heat
Hornets
Pistons
Wizards
Wizards (twice in a row)
Nets
Pacers
Mavs

So they have played 1 great team and two solid ones in Knicks and Mavs. Not only a weak schedule but guess who their wins came against? Not against the Knicks, Mavs or Heat but against the Wizards twice, Pistons and Nets. Color me unimpressed.

GOBB
01-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Did CP3 have these haters before he joined the Clippers?

Yes

Rondo has now developed a jumper. Still struggling with the FTs though.

The past 2 seasons this has been said. Hilarious

chazzy
01-14-2012, 02:11 PM
CP3 is playing with another franchise player/superstar who's averaging what 23 or 24 ppg? Then he's playing with other 16 ppg scorers in Butler and Billups.
To be fair, he averaged similar numbers with the Hornets last season. I wish he played as aggressive as he did against Miami more consistently.. I was a big fan of his game in 08 and 09 and only see it in spurts now. Would rather have him running my team than Rondo though.

tpols
01-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Rondo's a better passer, slasher, penetrator, defender, rebounder, and has better vision.. better pure point. But CP3 is clearly a better overall basketball player mainly because he does everything rondo does at a slightly lower level except he does it with precision shooting and an alpha mentality.

rule1223
01-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Rondo's a better passer, slasher, penetrator, defender, rebounder, and has better vision.. better pure point. But CP3 is clearly a better overall basketball player mainly because he does everything rondo does at a slightly lower level except he does it with precision shooting and an alpha mentality.
rondo is way more of a leader than paul, when the hornets were about to be eliminated in hte playoffs instead of helping the team this guy deferred to jannero pargo... a guy who isnt even in the league anymore. If i didnt watch bball, i wouldve thought pargo was the man of that team

Clippersfan86
01-14-2012, 02:17 PM
To be fair, he averaged similar numbers with the Hornets last season. I wish he played as aggressive as he did against Miami more consistently.. I was a big fan of his game in 08 and 09 and only see it in spurts now. Would rather have him running my team than Rondo though.

Yea... true. Just saying it's more impressive if you can maintain that WHILE playing with another superstar+ other talent. I think he's not peaked this season honestly. When the Clippers do best is when he's aggressive on offense. Team knows it.. coach knows it and he knows it. His first postgame quote after Clips beat the Heat was about being more aggressive because he was too passive in Portland game.

The first step to fixing a problem is identifying it and everybody knows. I expect to see a lot more vintage CP3 27 points, 11 assists, 5-6 rebounds, 3 steals with great D and efficiency.

Shade8780
01-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Right now, I'd take Rondo. Dudes been lighting it UP. 16 PPG, 10 APG, 5 RPG and 2 steals. He's been carrying us old Celtics. Completely taking over. While Chris Paul, all the way over at the west coast is averaging 16 points, 9 assists and 3 rebounds. Paul's been doing great as you can see but altogether, I'd rather have Rondo on my team.

Clippersfan86
01-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Right now, I'd take Rondo. Dudes been lighting it UP. 16 PPG, 10 APG, 5 RPG and 2 steals. He's been carrying us old Celtics. Completely taking over. While Chris Paul, all the way over at the west coast is averaging 16 points, 9 assists and 3 rebounds. Paul's been doing great as you can see but altogether, I'd rather have Rondo on my team.

Carrying them to 4-5. Sounds amazing. Guess who the Celtics have played so far?

Knicks
Heat
Hornets
Pistons
Wizards
Wizards (twice in a row)
Nets
Pacers
Mavs

So they have played 1 great team and two solid ones in Knicks and Mavs. Not only a weak schedule but guess who their wins came against? Not against the Knicks, Mavs or Heat but against the Wizards twice, Pistons and Nets. Color me unimpressed.

tpols
01-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Rondo getting a lot of disrespect here.. was the best player in 2010 in a series with prime Lebron. Has put up playoff runs of 17/10/10, 16/9/6 while averaging 2-3 steals per game and being his team's most pesky defender. He's not the scorer Paul is but he does just about everything else better and has far more experience playing competitive playoff ball.

Fiasco
01-14-2012, 02:23 PM

What kind of obnoxious homerism is this? You didn't even consider the fat that he was playing on Christmas? I mean, at least pretend you're not biased. Ugh, mods.

Clippersfan86
01-14-2012, 02:33 PM
Rondo getting a lot of disrespect here.. was the best player in 2010 in a series with prime Lebron. Has put up playoff runs of 17/10/10, 16/9/6 while averaging 2-3 steals per game and being his team's most pesky defender. He's not the scorer Paul is but he does just about everything else better and has far more experience playing competitive playoff ball.

I disagree with your analysis. CP3 is a career 4.5 rpg PG at 5'11". Rondo is a career 5 rpg with a freak wingspan/hands and a taller frame at 6'1". Then you say a better defender. Celtics fans in recent years have come to known Rondo as an overrated defender. Chris Paul is a averaging more steals and plays man defense similar if not better this year.

Then you try to say better court vision/passing? Many people put CP3 up there with greats like Magic and Stockton in that regard. Why don't they say the same about Rondo? With Rondo you see a guy who has been called out MULTIPLE times for intentionally stat padding assists. Stopping on a break to wait for teammates to catch up instead of scoring a layup. His assists are similar to Love's rebounds. He focuses on purely making assists rather than doing the right thing.

Not only that but Rondo has played with a loaded team his entire career. I honestly feel if you threw him onto a team like the Bobcats he would be lucky to put up 10 and 5. Chris Paul has proven he can not only play with a superstar.. but carry scrubs to good records/playoffs.

Bigsmoke
01-14-2012, 02:37 PM
wheres the smite button when i needed it.

Chris Paul is by far the better player.

better passer, better scorer, can control the tempo of the game better, better at everything besides defense.

Rondo's rebounding numbers doesnt mean shit to me since his team is like dead last in rebounding.

Lebron23
01-14-2012, 02:39 PM
wheres the smite button when i need it.

Chris Paul is by far the better player.

Pre Injury CP3 >> Current Rajon Rondo

Current Rajon Rondo >> Post Injury Cp3/Current CP3

Clippersfan86
01-14-2012, 02:40 PM

:oldlol:

Shade8780
01-14-2012, 02:43 PM
:oldlol:
I don't find it funny. I agree with him

Bigsmoke
01-14-2012, 02:53 PM

The thing about Rondo is that he's not that good in the first face.

Rondo is an All Star... thats as far as i can go. He's not a superstar, a play to build around from the ground up, or even a reliable go-to guy since his jump shot is still questionable.

Real Men Wear Green
01-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Did CP3 have these haters before he joined the Clippers? :oldlol: . Rondo isn't worthy to be mentioned in the same breath as CP3 and never has been. Even CP3 at 75 percent>Rondo normally. Funny thing is Rondo is having a big year because everybody around him is struggling and he's having to carry more.

CP3 is playing with another franchise player/superstar who's averaging what 23 or 24 ppg? Then he's playing with other 16 ppg scorers in Butler and Billups. 16, 9 and 3 while getting used to new teammates and when you're not conditioned early in season is still elite for a PG.
It's hilarious that after years of hearing Rondo's assist totals poo-pooed over having great teammates you want to act like playing alongside Blake Griffin is somehow holding Paul back when the desire to play with great players is why Paul wanted to be traded in the first place. What, are there no assists to be found in "Lob City?" Please name one PG in the history of basketball that wouldn't want to play with Blake Griffin. There's no Paul hate here there's just you being so overly sensitive that you view analysis as something to be reviled. Your homerism has made you anti-thought. And since when is not being conditioned an excuse for anything? You're a pro athlete, you have a responsibility to keep yourself in shape so the fact that Rondo maintained himself in the prolonged offseason while Paul did whatever Paul did is no excuse or justification for anything. CP3 is certainly elite but you don't get a sliding grading scale for laziness and/or poor diet.

Rondo is scoring more than he would normally for 2 reasons, one of which is his teammate's decline but the other is that he has worked on his jumper to make himself a better scorer. This isn't volume chucking, he shoots 51.8%.

Paul may still show himself to be better by season's end but right now the only guy that's separated himself from the pack is Derrick Rose.

teddytwelvetoes
01-14-2012, 03:00 PM
Rondo's jumper looks solid thus far. His FT shooting hasn't improved though.

Draz
01-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Rondo. Last season he was developing, I think he's going to progress more within the next two seasons. This kids potential is skys high.

Real Men Wear Green
01-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Yes

The past 2 seasons this has been said. Hilarious
I should rephrase it a bit: two years ago, Rondo's jumper was nonexistent, shooting was something he simply didn't do. Last year it graduated to existence and was simply bad. This year I'd go so far as to call it below-average. It's reminding me a lot of the evolution of Jason Kidd as a shooter. They're not the same player overall but there's a lot of similarity.

Shade8780
01-14-2012, 03:06 PM
1. Derrick Rose
2. Deron Williams
3. Rajon Rondo
4. Chris Paul
5. Russell Westbrook

Top 5 PG's right now

Bigsmoke
01-14-2012, 03:20 PM
1. Derrick Rose
2. Deron Williams
3. Rajon Rondo
4. Chris Paul
5. Russell Westbrook

Top 5 PG's right now

can you say " double standards"?

Deron Williams is shooting 38% this season as well speak and is averaging 4.4 turnovers a game. And what are the Nets record?

Chris Paul > DWill this year no doubt

Clippersfan86
01-14-2012, 03:22 PM
It's hilarious that after years of hearing Rondo's assist totals poo-pooed over having great teammates you want to act like playing alongside Blake Griffin is somehow holding Paul back when the desire to play with great players is why Paul wanted to be traded in the first place. What, are there no assists to be found in "Lob City?" Please name one PG in the history of basketball that wouldn't want to play with Blake Griffin. There's no Paul hate here there's just you being so overly sensitive that you view analysis as something to be reviled. Your homerism has made you anti-thought. And since when is not being conditioned an excuse for anything? You're a pro athlete, you have a responsibility to keep yourself in shape so the fact that Rondo maintained himself in the prolonged offseason while Paul did whatever Paul did is no excuse or justification for anything. CP3 is certainly elite but you don't get a sliding grading scale for laziness and/or poor diet.

Rondo is scoring more than he would normally for 2 reasons, one of which is his teammate's decline but the other is that he has worked on his jumper to make himself a better scorer. This isn't volume chucking, he shoots 51.8%.

Paul may still show himself to be better by season's end but right now the only guy that's separated himself from the pack is Derrick Rose.

Butler and Billups are good contributors but are obviously ball stoppers which is hurting CP3's assists a little. 9 apg is still great. The offense hasn't even gelled yet either. Regardless CP3 is the better PG on both ends of the floor RIGHT NOW. Considering nobody factored in contract situation or injury worries... 25 GM's or more would take CP3 over Rondo.

CelticBaller
01-14-2012, 03:22 PM
:roll:

Edit: damn you guys can even give rondo a break. first was he has the big 3 around him. well the big 3 are falling flat and rondo assist numbers are still the same, second was he can't shoot, he's knocking down wide open shots and he's working on his FTs. what's next? he is rebounds are padded? :lol

Lebron23
01-14-2012, 03:24 PM
Rondo is playing like the 2nd best PG in this league.

Clippersfan86
01-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Rondo is playing like the 2nd best PG in this league.

Double standards. So Kevin Love can't be considered a top 3 PF in the game because he's not winning... yet Rondo can be a top 3 PG when the Celtics are 4-5 and only have their wins against terrible, bottom 5 teams? :roll:

Rondo's game isn't translating to wins or having the impact you guys are acting like.

Clippersfan86
01-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Rondo's finally "elite" and top 3 PG when the Celtics are at their worst. He's going to carry them right to the lottery every year after KG, Pierce and Allen are gone.

Real Men Wear Green
01-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Butler and Billups are good contributors but are obviously ball stoppers which is hurting CP3's assists a little. 9 apg is still great. The offense hasn't even gelled yet either. Regardless CP3 is the better PG on both ends of the floor RIGHT NOW. Considering nobody factored in contract situation or injury worries... 25 GM's or more would take CP3 over Rondo.
But I'm sure that Rondo has no teammates that create offense, right? Newsflash, 9 apg is 1 assist below Paul's career average. Paul might have a slight edge on offense (which is based on history, not current statistics) but Rondo is a repeat All-NBA first team defensive guard.

Bigsmoke
01-14-2012, 03:31 PM
Rondo's finally "elite" and top 3 PG when the Celtics are at their worst. He's going to carry them right to the lottery every year after KG, Pierce and Allen are gone.

:lol

Rondo can ball but he's just not Chris Paul.

Real Men Wear Green
01-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Double standards. So Kevin Love can't be considered a top 3 PF in the game because he's not winning... yet Rondo can be a top 3 PG when the Celtics are 4-5 and only have their wins against terrible, bottom 5 teams? :roll:

Rondo's game isn't translating to wins or having the impact you guys are acting like.
KAJ once won MVP on a non-playoff team. Great teams win games, great players may or may not. The obvious fact is that KG and Pierce have played far below the levels tey were at last year. Or is Rondo somehow a worse player than he was last season? You have to face logic at some point here.

CelticBaller
01-14-2012, 03:34 PM
he's been a top 3 PG since the 09-10 season idiot.

Bigsmoke
01-14-2012, 03:40 PM

2010 = yes because of his playoffs run

2011= out of Rose, Cp3, and Deron Williams, who are u picking Rondo over to say he's a top 3 PG?

hell. Nash > Rondo in 2011

tpols
01-14-2012, 03:43 PM
I disagree with your analysis. CP3 is a career 4.5 rpg PG at 5'11". Rondo is a career 5 rpg with a freak wingspan/hands and a taller frame at 6'1".

Rondo has had multiple playoff runs with 6rpg and one with 10rpg.. he's the best rebounding point since prime Jason Kidd. Him having a freak wingspan is a BONUS.. not a negative. It, along with an increased effort, is why he's a considerably better rebounder than Paul.

Then you say a better defender. Celtics fans in recent years have come to known Rondo as an overrated defender. Chris Paul is a averaging more steals and plays man defense similar if not better this year.

Rondo is easily a better defender than Paul. He's better at playing the passing lanes with his length, and he's a better man defender because he's faster, quicker, and longer. His defensive instincts are great and he's also sneaky as hell.

Then you try to say better court vision/passing? Many people put CP3 up there with greats like Magic and Stockton in that regard. Why don't they say the same about Rondo? With Rondo you see a guy who has been called out MULTIPLE times for intentionally stat padding assists.

And Chris Paul has been called out on doing the SAME thing. He frequently will stop shooting and looking to score just to get other guys shots and gather assists. Fact is Rondo finds people for great shots all the time and he does it with defenders backing off of him 5+ feet because they dont fear his shot, which obviously crowds the passing lanes even more. He's a better passer and can spot the open man better than Paul can both in half court sets and especially on the break.

Not only that but Rondo has played with a loaded team his entire career. I honestly feel if you threw him onto a team like the Bobcats he would be lucky to put up 10 and 5. Chris Paul has proven he can not only play with a superstar.. but carry scrubs to good records/playoffs.

And playing on a loaded team has turned him into the crafty and experienced player he is today. It's like the Scottie Pippen effect..you put a guy with great fundamentals and physical specs on an experienced team and he learns what it takes to play effective, winning basketball because his teams stress what is important and what is not and he plays with them in tons of very meaningful games.

And NO's teams were filled with players that were far from scrubs.. 20/10 David West, Tyson Chandler, Peja.. he had very quality teammates.

CelticBaller
01-14-2012, 03:45 PM
2010 = yes because of his playoffs run

2011= out of Rose, Cp3, and Deron Williams, who are u picking Rondo over to say he's a top 3 PG?

hell. Nash > Rondo in 2011
woah let me guess? you guys don't think rondo is top 3 pg because his team is losing. yet in 11 nash was better than him? :roll:

oh and wasn't chris paul struggling last year. and what seed did the hornets get last year?
yep and WE have double standards. :facepalm
in 2011
Rose
Williams
Rondo
Paul/Westbrook

Bigsmoke
01-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Rondo has had multiple playoff runs with 6rpg and one with 10rpg.. he's the best rebounding point since prime Jason Kidd. Him having a freak wingspan is a BONUS.. not a negative. It, along with an increased effort, is why he's a considerably better rebounder than Paul.

Rondo is easily a better defender than Paul. He's better at playing the passing lanes with his length, .

lol i hope you're are not talking about Rondo.

u think Chris Paul lead the league in steals for like 4 seasons already because he was lucky?

nobody can read passing lanes like chris paul.

Clippersfan86
01-14-2012, 03:47 PM

Are you going on record as saying Rondo was better than Rose, CP3, Nash, Deron Williams the two years prior to this one?

tpols
01-14-2012, 03:50 PM
lol i hope you're are not talking about Rondo.

u think Chris Paul lead the league in steals for like 4 seasons already because he was lucky?

nobody can read passing lanes like chris paul.
Rondo led the league in steals in 2010.. and he's led the league in steals in the playoffs 2 out of the last 4 years. Try again.

Svendiggity
01-14-2012, 03:50 PM
woah let me guess? you guys don't think rondo is top 3 pg because his team is losing. yet in 11 nash was better than him? :roll:

oh and wasn't chris paul struggling last year. and what seed did the hornets get last year?
in 2011
Rose
Williams
Rondo
Paul/Westbrook

How is Russel Westbrook better than Steve Nash?

CelticBaller
01-14-2012, 03:52 PM
How is Russel Westbrook better than Steve Nash?
he was playing better and his team was wining. he also came in the clutch when durant was choking

Bigsmoke
01-14-2012, 03:53 PM

in 2011
Rose
Williams
Rondo
Paul/Westbrook

I have Rondo over CP3 in 2010 because dude was hurt all year and Rose didnt start killing it until later of the season. To me it was Deron, Nash, and Rondo in that order.

2011 was the year when Rose powered up and Paul came back healthy. Paul wasnt to is 2008 self but he was still was able to carry his team to the playoffs in the west with a rookie coach and a weak supporting cast. We can't forget dude performance in that Lakers series.

Bigsmoke
01-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Rondo led the league in steals in 2010.. and he's led the league in steals in the playoffs 2 out of the last 4 years. Try again.

leading the league in steals for 4 years > 1 year

and when Paul topped the steals per game chart, he averaged 2.7, 2.8, 2.4, 2.8 while Rondo

Rondo led it while averaging 2.3 in 2010

I do think Rondo is a better defender but Paul is better when it comes to reading passing lanes. thats a fact.

Svendiggity
01-14-2012, 04:02 PM
he was playing better and his team was wining. he also came in the clutch when durant was choking

Steve Nash could make better basketball decisions with a blindfold on. Russel Westbrook doesn't even know what Point Guard means lol sorry.

Celtics4ever
01-14-2012, 05:10 PM

What fulckin injury? CP3 is fine. He has been fine. He's not as good as those 2 seasons because he plays against far better point guards. The PG competition has picked up and CP3 has been left behind. People have been making excuses for CP3 for too long, first his teammates, then his so called injuries and now they say he isn't in good shape. Stop with this shlt. people need to admit that the dude is good, but not as good as hes made out to be. He was only good back in 08-09 because he had scrubs guarding him, now he goes against guys like Westrbook, Rose, Rondo, DWill etc. and he can't perform on the same level. And he hasn't improved any parts of his game since 08-09, he has the same predictable game. Seems like he lays around on his sofa all summer. He is a very smart player though with his flopping and constant complaining to the refs, he makes things go his way.

Real Men Wear Green
01-14-2012, 05:18 PM
What fulckin injury? CP3 is fine. He has been fine. He's not as good as those 2 seasons because he plays against far better point guards. The PG competition has picked up and CP3 has been left behind. People have been making excuses for CP3 for too long, first his teammates, then his so called injuries and now they say he isn't in good shape. Stop with this shlt. people need to admit that the dude is good, but not as good as hes made out to be. He was only good back in 08-09 because he had scrubs guarding him, now he goes against guys like Westrbook, Rose, Rondo, DWill etc. and he can't perform on the same level. And he hasn't improved any parts of his game since 08-09, he has the same predictable game. Seems like he lays around on his sofa all summer. He is a very smart player though with his flopping and constant complaining to the refs, he makes things go his way.
His conditioning should be better but you're going too far. Paul is still a match for the elite PGs in the league and still one of them. Neither Clipper fans nor Celtic fans should be acting like their guy is on a different level right now.

Celtics4ever
01-14-2012, 05:21 PM
I have Rondo over CP3 in 2010 because dude was hurt all year and Rose didnt start killing it until later of the season. To me it was Deron, Nash, and Rondo in that order.

2011 was the year when Rose powered up and Paul came back healthy. Paul wasnt to is 2008 self but he was still was able to carry his team to the playoffs in the west with a rookie coach and a weak supporting cast. We can't forget dude performance in that Lakers series.

Shut the fuclk up you bandwagon c0clk sucker. Do you remember what Westbrook did to the lakers the year before in the playoffs? Do you remember what Rondo did to the lakers in the finals that year? Do you remember what DWill did to the lakers in the playoffs the year earlier? Do you remember what Aaron brooks did to the lakers in the playoffs?

You notice a trend here? Or are you just a dumb bandwagon jumper like you make yourself out to be? Every PG plays like Jordan against the Lakers because Lakers suck at guarding PGs. Old man Fisher can't do anything. The lakers gave the most Pts per game to the PG position than any other team.

Celtics4ever
01-14-2012, 05:22 PM
His conditioning should be better but you're going too far. Paul is still a match for the elite PGs in the league and still one of them. Neither Clipper fans nor Celtic fans should be acting like their guy is on a different level right now.

I'm saying what I have seen. PG competiton went up and CP3s effectiveness went down.

Real Men Wear Green
01-14-2012, 05:34 PM
I'm saying what I have seen. PG competiton went up and CP3s effectiveness went down.
And yet his statistics this season are extremely similar to Rondo's. Their differences are .5 ppg, 1.4 apg, .7 steals, .03% from the field. Their large differences are Rondo's rebounding (Paul used to rebound at a similar rate but he's got Griffin and DJ up front), Paul is turning it over 1.6 less times per game, and Paul is a lot better from the FT line. And that's just Paul vs. Rondo. I don't see this drop in Paul's effectiveness, he's just shooting a little less. And on a team like the Clippers shouldn't he prioritize getting the scorers going? Don't disrespect what the man is doing, he's a great player. Fans of one player need to realize that it doesn't denigrate the accomplishments of their guy when someone else is praised.

rhythmic
01-14-2012, 05:41 PM
Paul to me is the better scorer, shooter (by a large margin), better vision, better handles and better passing skills. Rondo is a better rebounder and defender.

I'll take Paul any day of the week, I don't need an explanation as to why. Paul literally destroyed the Lakers by himself last year while Rondo was a liability for Boston when they played LA in 10'. Yeah, I heard he improved his shot but is it really that big of an improvement that I should take into consideration?

Plus, Paul seems to passive so far this season when he came out gunning from jump street; he was clearly the best player in a Clipper uniform and the best point guard in the game (Rose is the only point that is arguably better to me).

Yung D-Will
01-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Who knows. One things for sure though. Rondo > Westbrook now that he has a semi consistant jumper all he needs to develop is his freethrows.

Real Men Wear Green
01-14-2012, 05:54 PM
[QUOTE=rhythmic

rhythmic
01-14-2012, 05:57 PM
Rondo is leading the league in assists with far inferior finishers at the basket. Also when it comes to elite PGs who can do anything handling the ball that someone else can't? Rondo used to do Pistol Pete fake behind the back pass every other game.

Eh, Paul led the league in assists playing in New Orleans.
Paul is having a slow start, he seems a overweight this season and hasn't really found his place yet.

I've watched enough Boston games and seen enough of Paul playing the game to know how has the greater impact.

If Boston had Paul from 08' they'd right now be four time defending champs, I have no doubt about that. He is simply a more well-rounded point guard. I have only seen one Boston game so far this season, so my judgement might not be as reasonable. But it's only been 11 games, and I am a reasonable enough to listen to anyone who thinks Rondo so far this season has been the better point guard and has improved his weakness (shooting) enough for this comparison to be debatable though.

Also, I never said Rondo doesn't have great court-vision or isn't a good ball-handler, I said he isn't better then Chris Paul at those aspects.

Real Men Wear Green
01-14-2012, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE=rhythmic

rfoster24
01-14-2012, 06:24 PM
speak of the devil they have arrived.
look at Rondo's numbers and what he's done the last couple years with a team of retirement home players

look at CP's numbers and what he's doing now or not doing with a team of allstars, and what he did last year with a balanced supporting cast

I don't even have to explain how stupid you sound. I want you to stay dumb because dumb people like you amuse me lol.

Chris Paul by a ****in' mile.

MMM
01-14-2012, 06:27 PM
I don't even have to explain how stupid you sound. I want you to stay dumb because dumb people like you amuse me lol.

Chris Paul by a ****in' mile.

They are both top 5 PGs and probably 2nd and 3rd respectively this season yet it is by a mile????

b1imtf
01-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Yea... true. Just saying it's more impressive if you can maintain that WHILE playing with another superstar+ other talent. I think he's not peaked this season honestly. When the Clippers do best is when he's aggressive on offense. Team knows it.. coach knows it and he knows it. His first postgame quote after Clips beat the Heat was about being more aggressive because he was too passive in Portland game.

The first step to fixing a problem is identifying it and everybody knows. I expect to see a lot more vintage CP3 27 points, 11 assists, 5-6 rebounds, 3 steals with great D and efficiency.
:lol

rhythmic
01-14-2012, 06:34 PM
I wouldn't argue that Rondo was Paul's equal in past seasons, we're talking about the present (though for the record Paul wouldn't have led the Cs past Miami either especially if he suffered the elbow injury that Rondo did). And I really don't agree with grading Paul on a curve for not being in shape. We could say that if Shaq had David Robinson's work ethic he'd have been the greayest player of all time...but he didn't, so he wasn't, so we don't.

Okay, we're not talking about their work ethic though, I'm talking about their respective impact. Even this season, Rondo is having his best season statistically and is still marginally better then an overweight Chris Paul. He's also playing for a team he's played for the past 5 years while Paul has a new team and maybe a new role. He is going through an adjustment phase.

Boston with Chris Paul would have beaten Miami, I have no doubt about that. He is WAY more clutch in the 4th then Rondo who couldn't even convert a wide open jumper. I believe he has better court vision and passing ability, but more importantly he wouldn't be left wide open but instead command double/triple teams when he has the ball in his hand. That alone would have made things so much easier for the other players. Then you have his ability to take over games in the 4th (when he decides to get aggressive). I'm sorry but there is a huge gap between Paul and Rondo to me; I'm not doubting that Rondo has improved certain areas in his game this season and that he has shortened that gap this year; but it's kind of foolish to make a reasonable comparison based on their current situation.

Paul is on a new team, a new coach and has come overweight yet their respective production is still very close this season.

dyna
01-14-2012, 06:52 PM
CP3>Rondo

Clocian-IGN
01-14-2012, 06:55 PM
rondo

roffie
01-14-2012, 06:58 PM
this thread is too entertaining. cp3 fans are dillusional.

rhythmic
01-14-2012, 07:00 PM
this thread is too entertaining. cp3 fans are dillusional.

Seems like only Boston fans are picking Rondo, yet Paul's fans are delusional? :rolleyes:

Tenchi Ryu
01-14-2012, 07:01 PM
I think some people are really confusing the question of this thread. Many people's answers seem to stem from Career vs Career, and I could have sworn it was suppose to be based on this season. And I can't see anything CP3 has done that shits on Rondo. Rondo is pretty much carrying the Celtics right now, and developed his jumper, finally becoming the PG he should have been offensively for a while now.

I currently have CP3 = Rondo, and Rondo could overtake him within the next 10 games.

hops and stops
01-14-2012, 07:04 PM
CP3 > Rondo, but it's not a huge difference to me. The two have comparable skill levels and different strengths/weaknesses.

Clocian-IGN
01-14-2012, 07:05 PM
[QUOTE=rhythmic

Real Men Wear Green
01-14-2012, 07:06 PM
[QUOTE=rhythmic

rhythmic
01-14-2012, 07:13 PM
What you may not know is that pre-inury Rondo had been the Cs best player both over the season as well as vs. Miami. He was the one that presented problems by exposing the weakness at pg. If Paul messed up his elbow like Rondo did I'm not even sure he'd play. Not calling CP3 soft, just it's hard to tell how an injury effects Paul's style and whether or not he could contribute with it. And if he does, is he going to be the Chris Paul we expect? I doubt that. And then you have James dominating the C's best scorer on both ends of the court, KG has done nothing but decline for the last 3 years, really Miami had the best 3 players on the court for that series. I don't see any pg in the game leading the Cs to victory with that injury, just not happening.

And again, I have no sympathy for CP3 being out of shape, that's his fault if he is.

That's the thing, I consider the Chris Paul I saw against the Lakers last playoffs better then both Bosh and Wade. His impact is severely underrated on this forum. I guess that's because he has always played for a crappy team; despite them being legit for a few years mostly because of Paul.

He just makes everyone around him better. The different between Rondo and Paul is that Paul is more dangerous because he can shoot, drive and pass. Rondo can only drive and pass; therefore, most defenses leave the dude open to take those perimeter jumpers which makes him less dangerous with the ball. That's the biggest difference I see between the two players; and in terms of impact, this difference is invaluable because Rondo can not attract a defense to him and leave his teammates more open.

Lets see how they do at year-end before I properly evaluate their respective game for this season. I have seen one game from Rondo this season; he didn't really seem much different to me. But could have been that particular game.

And I agree with the other poster (if Rondo did in fact improve his jump shot) then an aggressive Rondo > passive Paul.

Clippersfan86
01-14-2012, 09:35 PM
One important aspect as a guard is being able to creat for yourself, something Rondo doesn't do well. According to Synergy Sports CP3 is the best and most effective isolation player in the game and Rondo is average.

ballup
01-14-2012, 09:47 PM
One important aspect as a guard is being able to creat for yourself, something Rondo doesn't do well. According to Synergy Sports CP3 is the best and most effective isolation player in the game and Rondo is average.
Proof? It's a little hard to take one's word of someone else's word seriously.

Plus creating for yourself is an aspect that is expected for any player, not just guards.

Clippersfan86
01-14-2012, 09:51 PM
Go on Synergy Sports.

ballup
01-14-2012, 09:55 PM
Go on Synergy Sports.
It's a paid subscription from what I remember. Give me something like a quote, or even better, a link.

Clippersfan86
01-14-2012, 09:58 PM
It's a paid subscription from what I remember. Give me something like a quote, or even better, a link.

Why would I lie about something that can easily be exposed? I read it in a Lakers pregame report earlier. I'm mobile and can't post links. I do remember he scores 1.6 points per isolation or something around there.. Which ranked him first.

ballup
01-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Why would I lie about something that can easily be exposed? I read it in a Lakers pregame report earlier. I'm mobile and can't post links. I do remember he scores 1.6 points per isolation or something around there.. Which ranked him first.
It's not as easy to expose if I can't even access the site's features. Your point won't be as valid as it should be if the rest of us can't see it.

Bigsmoke
01-15-2012, 04:43 AM
Paul

I.R.Beast
01-15-2012, 04:47 AM
You are an idiot. 16 ppg, and 10 apg, and 2 spg is a good stats-line for a top 10 PG in the NBA. He's the Celtics best player this season.
thats not really saying much...we suck right now

I.R.Beast
01-15-2012, 04:50 AM
Go on Synergy Sports.
syngery sports?.....lol.....Chris Paul get loads of screens en route to scoring the ball. He usually uses his isolation to create a bit of space for a jumper, screens are normally his MO of getting to the rim. So i dont know what qualifies as isolation on synergy sports. because running you defender into a series of screens is not my idea of "true isolation".

Fiasco
01-15-2012, 04:58 AM
Rondo is pretty much carrying the Celtics right now, and developed his jumper, finally becoming the PG he should have been offensively for a while now.

You can't "carry" your team to a record below .500, dude. That's not how it works.

Unless you think Griffin carried the Clippers last year.

Bigsmoke
01-15-2012, 07:12 AM
You can't "carry" your team to a record below .500, dude. That's not how it works.

Unless you think Griffin carried the Clippers last year.

Lmao

Jyap9675
01-15-2012, 07:16 AM
love both players, but I am gonna have to go with paul with this one simply because on scoring ability.

rfoster24
01-15-2012, 07:38 AM
As shown tonight, Chris Paul can take over a game and hold his composure even when a great team like the Lakers made a huge run. Rondo cannot take over a game. Show me one game where he has taken over a game like CP3 did in the playoffs last year vs. Lakers or like tonight vs. Lakers. CP3 would remain an all-star on any of the NBA's 32 teams. If Rondo left the Celtics, he would most likely be struggling like D-Will is on the Nets.

Jyap9675
01-15-2012, 08:12 AM
Btw that clippers vs heat game.. Man cp3 at the end being guarded by lebron, he got lebron on his heels but missed the floater, ISH would have exploded if that went in. Lol =]

Eric Cartman
01-15-2012, 08:14 AM
CP3 is a game changer. I don't see Rondo at this stage in his career being that guy.

Nashty
01-15-2012, 08:31 AM
CP3 because he has no weakness, Rondo on the otherside has no jumpshot, and players can go under the screen all the time, and that's why he can't take over games, and yeah I forgot his free throws.

alenleomessi
01-15-2012, 08:36 AM
Some mod delete this thread, its embarrassing for the forum.

MMM
01-15-2012, 07:48 PM
As shown tonight, Chris Paul can take over a game and hold his composure even when a great team like the Lakers made a huge run. Rondo cannot take over a game. Show me one game where he has taken over a game like CP3 did in the playoffs last year vs. Lakers or like tonight vs. Lakers. CP3 would remain an all-star on any of the NBA's 32 teams. If Rondo left the Celtics, he would most likely be struggling like D-Will is on the Nets.

Game 4 vs. the Cavs

greymatter
01-15-2012, 08:59 PM
CP3 is putting up 18ppg, 8.4apg on 52%fg, 45%3pt, and 86% ft on a team that he's still learning to play with.

It's a no brainer between him and Raon Rondo.

SourPatchKids
01-15-2012, 09:15 PM
Can't deny Rajon's beastliness though.

Bigsmoke
02-11-2013, 07:34 PM
can anybody post the Celtics record with an without Rondo..

.. and then post the Clippers record with and without CP 3:lol

Big Cheese
02-11-2013, 07:41 PM
this topic reminded me why rondo was on my most overrated list. :lol

joeyjoejoe
02-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Pretty clear cp is better

MMM
02-11-2013, 07:53 PM
can anybody post the Celtics record with an without Rondo..

.. and then post the Clippers record with and without CP 3:lol

The Bulls have a good record without Rose the last few years but I wouldn't use that to diminish Rose, especially when he can't do anything about it because he isn't on the court.

Young X
02-11-2013, 07:59 PM
Anyone who thinks Rondo is on Paul's level shouldn't be taken seriously.

Bigsmoke
02-11-2013, 10:03 PM
the Clippers are 10x better with CP3 on the lineup.