PDA

View Full Version : Marshon Brooks STYLE OF PLAY reminds me a lot of a young Kobe

sosolid4u09
01-16-2012, 08:20 PM
His hesitation moves especially, as well as his fade-aways

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYTAo99BeUs&feature=share

Im not talking about TALENT or QUALITY or WORK ETHIC. im saying it PURELY from a style of play point of view. his game is very similar looking to a young kobe

niko
01-16-2012, 08:22 PM
Kobe was better,you could see it. That's not hating, Brooks game is nice. But this is a small stretch.

D12"Magic"
01-16-2012, 08:23 PM
Don't jinx it

AMISTILLILL
01-16-2012, 08:23 PM
Guys like MarShon, Nick Young and Darius Morris remind me of Kobe in a lot of ways. All three look like #8 on the floor but, of the three, MarShon definitely has the most similar game to Kobe.

heyhey
01-16-2012, 08:24 PM
meh, Frobe was a lot more of a high flyer and had a sick first step

Jotaro Durant
01-16-2012, 08:24 PM
sounds like an NFL player :oldlol:

LA_Showtime
01-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Don't you mean Michael Jordan?

upside24
01-16-2012, 08:27 PM
He is not really that quick but he has a nice looking jumpshot and a couple moves.

sosolid4u09
01-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Kobe was better,you could see it. That's not hating, Brooks game is nice. But this is a small stretch.
of course kobe was.
im not talking about talent im talking about STYLE of play

DStebb716
01-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Marshon won't be the next Kobe, but he'll be very good. He'll make a few allstar games and average like 24-25 during his prime I think. I do believe that his ceiling is the leading scoring in the league, but we'll see if he can reach that.

tpols
01-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Kobe was better,you could see it. .
:rolleyes:

niko
01-16-2012, 08:30 PM
of course kobe was.
im not talking about talent im talking about STYLE of play
Brooks is too slow. Kobe moved at his own speed.

sosolid4u09
01-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Brooks is too slow. Kobe moved at his own speed.
thats definitely true. Kobe was a lot more explosive aswel. But Brooks hesitation when driving to the basket is similar to kobe's, as well as his jump shot

inclinerator
01-16-2012, 08:31 PM
but he's uglier, kobe is way hotter

tpols
01-16-2012, 08:33 PM
thats definitely true. Kobe was a lot more explosive aswel. But Brooks hesitation when driving to the basket is similar to kobe's, as well as his jump shot
Brooks doesn't have the first step like Kobe did from a standstill, but he's just as fast as him in the open floor.. and his whole game is extremely polished/skilled.

He obviously isn't close to as good as young Kobe.. 1 maybe 2 players in the whole league right now could compete with Kobe when he was 21-22.. and Brooks is just a rookie on a bad team. This shouldn't be taken literally.

hawksdogsbraves
01-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Well he's no Kobe but if he ends up being the kind of player that averages 25-6-4 then he'll be a perennial all star. One thing I've noticed is that he's a great rebounder.

LOGoods7
01-16-2012, 08:45 PM
If anything he reminds me more of current Kobe, seems like's relying more on fakes, hesitations, and post up mid range shots more than athleticism

brandonislegend
01-16-2012, 08:51 PM
He's offensive reminds me more of Joe Johnson

niko
01-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Marshon is smooth. His footwork is great and he's so smooth he can get his shots off. Kobe relied on athleticism. He often was moving so quick he'd be off balance when he shot. I don't see the comparison in their games at that age.

Ronaldinho
01-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Afro Brooks :rockon:

inclinerator
01-16-2012, 08:58 PM
also he doesnt get much lift on his jumper

GOBB
01-16-2012, 09:02 PM
He's better than Evan Turner.

nbaballllller
01-16-2012, 09:14 PM
you can tell he modeled his game on Kobe.

His expressions and body language are also similar.

You can tell he also wants to be the man. he wants to take and make the big shots.

Definitely impressed with him

DevilsAssassin
01-16-2012, 09:15 PM
He's better than Evan Turner.

:eek:

and why did Danny have to trade this guy!! :(

9erEmpire
01-16-2012, 09:18 PM
The only thing that resembles Kobe is his all around game.

That's about it.

Kobe is like 2 seconds ahead of his defender in terms of reaction, speed and explosiveness.

Knicks101
01-16-2012, 09:20 PM
Eh, his hair is worse. Way worse. Brooks probably has the worst haircut in the NBA.

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nba/players/full/6428.png&w=350&h=254
Seriously, the ****?

G-Funk
01-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Nope. ur comparing him to Kobe/Jodan

9erEmpire
01-16-2012, 09:24 PM
Also, a young Kobe was a high flyer that dunked mercifully.

GOBB
01-16-2012, 09:29 PM
:eek:

and why did Danny have to trade this guy!! :(

Better shooter/scorer, should have clarified

bwink23
01-16-2012, 09:38 PM

Im not talking about TALENT or QUALITY or WORK ETHIC. im saying it PURELY from a style of play point of view. his game is very similar looking to a young kobe

I can see the resemblance.

I.R.Beast
01-16-2012, 10:25 PM

hate watching this Kid play knowing we traded hi on draft night....We coulda had a poor man's Kobe Bryant in a Celtic Uni...Kid is so smooth and polished.

I.R.Beast
01-16-2012, 10:29 PM
If anything he reminds me more of current Kobe, seems like's relying more on fakes, hesitations, and post up mid range shots more than athleticism
this......he plays like a current kobe more than a young kobe....he's not nearly as atheletic is as young Kobe...But his already polished fundamentls will allow him to be very good for much longer.

senelcoolidge
01-16-2012, 10:49 PM
Brooks plays like an old school player. He belongs in the 70's or 80's.

D12"Magic"
01-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Brooks plays like an old school player. He belongs in the 70's or 80's.
He looks like one also

imdaman99
01-16-2012, 10:58 PM
its like a slow motion way of playing. kobe moves faster than he does even at their current ages

BCardinalMVP
01-16-2012, 10:59 PM
the thing i like most about this kid is that he isn't a chucker

sooooo in my opinion he'll be a lot better than say nick young or jordan crawford

Pointguard
01-16-2012, 11:29 PM

Wow, you hit it on the head. And usually somebody makes that statement you become annoyed but this was on the money. I haven't seen the Nets this year and this was a pleasant surprise. The styles are really similar and he's really good. Obviously Kobe had unreal explosion but I thought Kobe threw everybody off with his unique sense of timing. This guy has that timing as well.

bleedinpurpleTwo
01-16-2012, 11:31 PM
young Kobe was dunking of everyone.
Brooks does not appear to dunk.

YAWN
01-16-2012, 11:33 PM
pretty sure kobe is/was his favorite player throughout his life. so you're bound to see him mimic some of kobe's game.

The Poet
01-17-2012, 12:37 AM
Hopefully he fills the void that Brandon Roy left.

roffie
01-17-2012, 03:32 AM
wow.. alot of signature kobe footwork right there. but too bad even current kobe is more atheltic than him atm

D12"Magic"
01-17-2012, 12:58 PM
[QUOTE]JCrossover Jamal Crawford
@
@Marshon2

niko
01-17-2012, 01:16 PM
He's very good, but he's nothing like a young Kobe stylewise. kobe was like NBA 2K, the new generation, totally removed in his style, etc. from the older generation. Brooks reminds me more of the older generation in just how refined everything is. Kobe was not refined, if he was refined the league would have been dead when he came in.

knightfall88
01-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Marshon Brooks reminds me of Don Cheadle

The_Yearning
01-17-2012, 01:32 PM
Too slow, not athletic, not even as big as high school Kobe.

Tries to play like Kobe... but so does a lot of other players.

D12"Magic"
01-17-2012, 01:45 PM
I don't get were people say Brooks is slow and Not athletic. Obviously Kobe was way faster and more athletic but that should not dis-credit Brooks. Brooks can run the ball in transition and he has been pretty quick during fast-breaks, he can break people off of his dribble and take them to the hoop ( you obviously need speed and proper handling for that). He mostly settle's for a lot of isolation's though, which does not show off much speed.

He is also athletic, no were near Kobe but he can get up there, his rebounding number's show it and he has gotten up there whether it is has been some block's or some offensive rebound's and put-backs.

All this if from a guy who watches every Nets game.

niko
01-17-2012, 01:47 PM
I don't get were people say Brooks is slow and Not athletic. Obviously Kobe was way faster and more athletic but that should not dis-credit Brooks. Brooks can run the ball in transition and he has been pretty quick during fast-breaks, he can break people off of his dribble and take them to the hoop ( you obviously need speed and proper handling for that). He mostly settle's for a lot of isolation's though, which does not show off much speed.

He is also athletic, no were near Kobe but he can get up there, his rebounding number's show it and he has gotten up there whether it is has been some block's or some offensive rebound's and put-backs.

All this if from a guy who watches every Nets game.
slower and less athletic than Kobe at that time. Slow, not athletic, no. ANyone saying that is just trying to be contrary. And anyone who saw Kobe at that time (unlike a lot of this board who i think relies on youtube and such) can tell you saying someone was slower and less athletic than Kobe at that time is not an insult because he moved at a speed greater than 90% of the league if not more.

D12"Magic"
01-17-2012, 01:51 PM
slower and less athletic than Kobe at that time. Slow, not athletic, no. ANyone saying that is just trying to be contrary.
Oh, yeah forgot they were saying how he was to a "young Kobe", but I'd thought I should point that out any way.

Aside from there scoring and style, I don't like the comparison. Yeah, sure its nice to be compared to an all time great, but it put's to much emphasis on the kid and more.

thelucifer69
01-17-2012, 01:55 PM

I think he talk about the way Brooks play not how good he is

niko
01-17-2012, 01:58 PM
I think he talk about the way Brooks play not how good he is
I get it, i saw Kobe play from his first game, and ive seen Brooks play almost every game this year, and i don't see similarities in their game unless you want to say Brooks is good and Kobe was good.

Rockets(T-mac)
01-17-2012, 03:35 PM
I see the similarities. He some similar moves, with the pump fake and foot work. He seems to like to go up for blocks too. But like it's been said Kobe was more athletic. Brooks seems to have a good future though.

iDunk
01-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Next Iceman.

flipogb
01-17-2012, 05:36 PM
reminds me of Larry Hughes

Kobes_Ego
01-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Dude is biting Kobe like MJ did.

He even rockin the mini fro like mamba.

Zenji
01-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Brooks has a very polished offensive repertoire for a rookie. Unfortunately his lack of explosiveness will prevent him from ever being a legit superstar. Kobe at 33 is a lot more explosive then Marshon is today.

East_Stone_Ya
01-17-2012, 06:18 PM
Brooks has a very polished offensive repertoire for a rookie. Unfortunately his lack of explosiveness will prevent him from ever being a legit superstar. Kobe at 33 is a lot more explosive then Marshon is today.

we will see that soon won't we Mr.Expert

Zenji
01-17-2012, 06:22 PM
we will see that soon won't we Mr.Expert
Never claimed to be an expert and for the record i would LOVE to be wrong as i am a Nets fan. To me Brooks will be a good 16-20ppg kinda guy. I don't see a hall of famer. Guy just isn't very explosive.

upside24
01-17-2012, 06:25 PM
He reminds me of PP because of his slow old man game.

swi7ch
01-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Nice moves on that kid. First time I've seen him. NJN better lock him up with a contract now!

BlueCrayon
01-17-2012, 08:03 PM
TBH he reminds me of Nick Young.

tpols
01-17-2012, 08:18 PM
I get it, i saw Kobe play from his first game, and ive seen Brooks play almost every game this year, and i don't see similarities in their game unless you want to say Brooks is good and Kobe was good.
What the fvck are you talking about dude? You always come into Nets related threads and give off these passive aggressive comments where you just put everything in a subtlely negative light for our team. Marshon's nothing like young Kobe! ... taking everything literally smh. Could you be anymore stupid?

Obviously Marshon Brooks isn't as quick or explosive as young Kobe because if he was he'd be a top player in the NBA right now given his skill level. The reason people are comparing them is because they have very similar frames at 6'5 with long arms, they both are complete basketball players that play defense go in for rebounds and can balance scoring and passing, and above all else, they both have a smooth, finesse type game that centers around midrange shots. I've watched EVERY Net game and am a HUGE kobe fan.. and I haven't seen a single young player in the league have such a similar style to Kobe since kobe himself was young[10 years ago].

G-Funk
01-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Come on man, we are comparing a mortal to a freaking GOD here!

MiseryCityTexas
01-17-2012, 10:32 PM
sounds like an NFL player :oldlol:

yeah his name does.....

LALakerFan4Life
01-17-2012, 10:54 PM
That's because MarShon has been watching Kobe on TV. He says he idolizes him.

niko
01-17-2012, 11:07 PM
What the fvck are you talking about dude? You always come into Nets related threads and give off these passive aggressive comments where you just put everything in a subtlely negative light for our team. Marshon's nothing like young Kobe! ... taking everything literally smh. Could you be anymore stupid?

Obviously Marshon Brooks isn't as quick or explosive as young Kobe because if he was he'd be a top player in the NBA right now given his skill level. The reason people are comparing them is because they have very similar frames at 6'5 with long arms, they both are complete basketball players that play defense go in for rebounds and can balance scoring and passing, and above all else, they both have a smooth, finesse type game that centers around midrange shots. I've watched EVERY Net game and am a HUGE kobe fan.. and I haven't seen a single young player in the league have such a similar style to Kobe since kobe himself was young[10 years ago].

i've never made one negative comment about Marshon Brooks. I've done nothing but praise him. He doesn't remind me of a young Kobe at all, not his game, not how he moves, not at all. Marshon has played like 10 total game so the fact you've seen every Net game ever means what? I saw Kobe when he was young, i LOVED young Kobe and i don't see the resemblence. Marshon is totally in control, moves very controlled, and super smooth. Kobe was smooth but was moving 97,000 miles an hour at that time, it was his main problem with his game, it had no discipline or control.

Don't give me hater bullshit because i don't see the resemblence. Did i call the people homers who did?

Where's the overdribbling? The ridiculous athletic dribbles (behing the back, super high like people weren't doing at the time) and dunks? The ball glued to his hand at times when he should pass? Is Marshon doing these things? The only think i see similar is the little stepback, and some of his releases on his shot. But the rest of his game, it doesn't remind me of Kobe at all. His body language is also different.

I'm not sure people are remembering Young Kobe as he was. I think they are superimposing parts of his game now on it that he is slower and more controlled. Marshon's game (parts of it) actually remind me of current Kobe, not young Kobe.

clayton
01-17-2012, 11:12 PM
Young Kobe was faster and more of a slasher. Brooks is imitating the older version, of course.

niko
01-17-2012, 11:50 PM
Young Kobe was faster and more of a slasher. Brooks is imitating the older version, of course.
SHUT UP YOU HATER! (just kidding). See, it's not just me.

eliteballer
01-18-2012, 12:24 AM
Kobe was smooth but was moving 97,000 miles an hour at that time, it was his main problem with his game, it had no discipline or control.

What?:oldlol: You're completely uninformed.

tpols
01-18-2012, 01:41 AM
What?:oldlol: You're completely uninformed.
He's bullshittin brahh

BallsOut
01-22-2012, 08:00 PM

Based on watching those highlights, I think what you meant to say is that his game looks a lot like current Kobe, which isn't a diss especially for a guy who's only 21 years of age. You can tell he's studied some of Kobe's game in the way he plays. The long arms and smooth balance on his jumpshots remind me very much of Kobe's. Net's picked up a steal I think.