PDA

View Full Version : Is Kevin Love worthy of a max-level deal?

insidehoops
01-19-2012, 11:31 AM
With the deadline for an extension approaching, the Timberwolves are now expected to offer Kevin Love the max.

Read this:

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=9091

And then share your response

FireDavidKahn
01-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Yes.

Real Men Wear Green
01-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Statistically there's no doubt. If he signs a deal that's significantly under the max his agent should commit hara-kiri.

Poodle
01-19-2012, 11:38 AM
he should be insulted by the 4 year $60 mill they're supposedly going to offer him...

Eric Cartman
01-19-2012, 11:38 AM
No doubt he is worth a max deal. He could be the face of the franchise for years to come, and with the current team assembled i don't see why they couldn't make some noise in the playoffs down the line a la OKC a few years ago.

Rnbizzle
01-19-2012, 11:54 AM
If you compare him with other players who have received a max deal - then yes. Traditionally would I consider him a max level player? No.

B-Easy8
01-19-2012, 12:03 PM
No

I feel as though only superstars should get the max. We will probably give it to him to keep him though. He isn't a LeBron, Kobe, Durant or Rose where you can give them the ball and they will take over and win you the game.

DevilsAssassin
01-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Yes.

/thread

when you got players like Tyson Chandler and Nene getting paid 15 million a season, then you know Kevin Love is a worth a max level deal.

Marquis Daniels
01-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Yes. The lack of decent big man in this league is stunning.

Pushxx
01-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Of course he is: top 4 PF at age 23 in a league of diminishing big-man talent.

El Kabong
01-19-2012, 12:48 PM
If the T'Wolves don't, someone else will and they've been crap long enough. Don't start penny pinching now that you look like you've got the makings of a decent future.

bagelred
01-19-2012, 12:48 PM
I think Kevin Love's playoff performances speak for themselves.

DevilsAssassin
01-19-2012, 12:52 PM

24 wins
15 wins
17 wins

Eric Cartman
01-19-2012, 12:53 PM

How about Rudy Gay's playoff performances? He got the max also.

alanLA92
01-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Seeing the other contracts in the league, yes he is.

DKLaker
01-19-2012, 12:59 PM
I errr.....Love his game and attitude but I wouldn't give him a max deal, just something close to one. Max deals should only be for guys who will lead your team in scoring.....your go-to guy, your closer....or at least your star point guard who makes everyone better and makes it easier to score.
Love is a #2 or #3 not a #1.....if there was no team salary cap and just a cap on individual salaries then yes, I would give him a max deal.

FireDavidKahn
01-19-2012, 01:01 PM
24 wins
15 wins
17 wins
All of this without any context.:oldlol:

DKLaker
01-19-2012, 01:08 PM
24 wins
15 wins
17 wins

Obviously he means team wins in a season........no playoffs, just a ton of losses and few wins.

FireMcFailPlease
01-19-2012, 02:34 PM
Obviously he means team wins in a season........no playoffs, just a ton of losses and few wins.
wittman
rambis
rambis

love is a beast. hes startin to get some superstar treatment too when it comes to calls. somethin we've been starving for here since kg

Mr. Jabbar
01-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Comparing him to guys like JoeJ, yes. Othewise, no.

SilkkTheShocker
01-19-2012, 02:44 PM
Giving the max to a player that can't even lead his team to 30 wins?

That should go well :oldlol:

SilkkTheShocker
01-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Comparing him to guys like JoeJ, yes. Othewise, no.

Thats not fair to Johnson. He has actually led his team out of the lottery :roll:

MK2V1GP
01-19-2012, 03:01 PM
he should be insulted by the 4 year $60 mill they're supposedly going to offer him...

That is very close to the max for a FOUR year deal. it's just not the max in terms of length.

And LOL @ people using the Wolves record as for why he shouldnt be a max contract player. Looking at other contracts in the NBA, Love def deserves one. Look at what he's doing. People say he's only a jumpshooter, I've seen him make a NUMBER of moves down low so far this year. Hook shots, baseline faders, falling away one handed shots, etc.

FireDavidKahn
01-19-2012, 03:29 PM
Thats not fair to Johnson. He has actually led his team out of the lottery :roll:
Ahh yes this meaningless argument made by people who have simple minds.

Kevin Durant led his team to 23 wins until he got some talent around his team.
A prime Kobe Bryant couldn't even make the play offs one year!
Deron Williams sure is turning the Nets into a contender.

ALBballer
01-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Definitely. Kevin love is the type of player that could fit on any team.

eliteballer
01-19-2012, 04:28 PM
4th in the league in scoring and 2nd in rebounds...really?

HurricaneKid
01-19-2012, 04:32 PM
The answer is YES. AND ITS NOT CLOSE.

Pushxx
01-19-2012, 04:34 PM
Ahh yes this meaningless argument made by people who have simple minds.

Kevin Durant led his team to 23 wins until he got some talent around his team.
A prime Kobe Bryant couldn't even make the play offs one year!
Deron Williams sure is turning the Nets into a contender.

I'm convinced that people who hate on Kevin Love just haven't watched him play.

Pharcyde
01-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Yes. If Westbrook got 5 years 78 million then Kevin Love should get a max extension.

DuMa
01-19-2012, 05:17 PM
if theres no other comparable decent big man at the same time available, then yes.

Yung D-Will
01-19-2012, 05:19 PM
Joe Johnson got the max.

Therefore everyone in the leauge who's considered a borderline star deserves the max

Jasper
01-19-2012, 08:10 PM
If a player the franchise feels should be a corner stone of their franchise for years to come :

I believe talking with the player and telling him this is just as important as the contract.
WHAT I am refering to is the "big Ticket" rule.

Any franchise should of learned a valuable lesson watching the T-Wolves for all the years strapped with little wiggle room because of Kevin Garnet.

I believe it would be smart on both sides to give a player in the first year the most money , and actually decrease the amount throughout the life of the contract as well as give bonuses , so that the team would have money to build around the franchise player.
If the player is at such an elite level , I would also tell him verbally that during the life time of his playing career , after his career , he would get a percentage of the actual franchise. Even if it's 1 or 2 percent , that could equate into millions down the road.

kingBynum
01-19-2012, 08:12 PM
yes with teh numbers he puts up...hell Rashard Lewis got one of the highest paid contract for being a scrub

G-train
01-19-2012, 08:16 PM
If a player the franchise feels should be a corner stone of their franchise for years to come :

I believe talking with the player and telling him this is just as important as the contract.
WHAT I am refering to is the "big Ticket" rule.

Any franchise should of learned a valuable lesson watching the T-Wolves for all the years strapped with little wiggle room because of Kevin Garnet.

I believe it would be smart on both sides to give a player in the first year the most money , and actually decrease the amount throughout the life of the contract as well as give bonuses , so that the team would have money to build around the franchise player.
If the player is at such an elite level , I would also tell him verbally that during the life time of his playing career , after his career , he would get a percentage of the actual franchise. Even if it's 1 or 2 percent , that could equate into millions down the road.

:roll: :roll: dude u smoking?
plus he aint signing up for 126m in a smaller cap like KG

hawkfan
01-19-2012, 08:50 PM

I think the Knicks playoff performances over the last 10 years speak for themselves.

Kevin Love totally deserves a max level contract.
Young big who can give 20-10 on a regular basis.
Absolutely.

Collie
01-19-2012, 09:03 PM
if theres no other comparable decent big man at the same time available, then yes.

Other than Dwight and MAYBE Blake Griffin, I can't really think of anybody comparable.

TrueRob
01-19-2012, 10:42 PM
Young big who can give 20-10 on a regular basis.

Hopefully, he doesn't regress to a 15/7 big after he gets his money.

Knicks101
01-19-2012, 10:47 PM
Is Shareef Abdur-Rahim a Hall of Famer?

midatlantic09
01-19-2012, 10:54 PM
OP, he's averaging 25 pts and 15 rebs per game. What do you think?

onhcetum
01-20-2012, 12:40 AM
He'll probably get the max because if he doesn't, another team will offer him the max and he'll walk... kind of like Joe Johnson got.

But to answer your question no... that belongs to the real superstars...

blacknapalm
01-20-2012, 12:59 AM
yes and no. yes because he can fit into any system, stretch the 4, box out, is efficient, is a good passer and doesn't make many mistakes. he's in the upper tier of PF's for sure

no because can you really dump the ball into him in the post to rely on scoring late in games? is he a guy that can consistently dig you out of deficits? also, his defense is lacking even though he's made improvements this season.

that said, i'd have no problem with him getting the max since plenty of teams would take him as the #1 option. also, as others have pointed out...when you compare to some other guys that got max contracts, his really wouldn't be that questionable

roffie
01-20-2012, 02:41 AM
if joe johnson is pretty much getting max, kevin love is more than qualified if that's the case..

bdreason
01-20-2012, 03:18 AM
I wouldn't pay him max... but with guys like JJ and Gay getting max deals... why not?

BankShot
01-20-2012, 03:56 AM
In an absolute vacuum.... no, Kevin Love's combination of skill/size/intangibles aren't worthy of a maximum-level contract in the NBA.

With that being said, considering the facts that the Wolves play in an undesirable market for free agents, and the slim likelihood that the Wolves could replicate his impact in the next one or two drafts, and the fact that there will likely be a team next summer that will make an offer near to the max for the Wolves to match..... all kinda adds up to it making sense for the Wolves organization to lock him up no matter what.

Like I've said before, the dynamics of value change mightily based on the attractiveness of a destination for free agents. It is absolutely worth an extra $3-$4-million per year to lock Love up NOW before he gets to experience the courtship of free agency.

hawkfan
01-20-2012, 05:11 AM
Love is absolutely worth the maximum, either 4 years or 5 years, whichever.

Rubio-Love is Minnesota's Big 2, and when Williams improves that's their Big 3.

If the Wolves don't want to give Love the max, I am sure Orlando would love to add him and keep Howard. Or Chicago would love to add Love and then trade out Boozer - Rose/Love/Deng as Chicago's Big 3. Even New Jersey would love to get him, if they don't add Howard - Williams/Lopez/Love. The Lakers would love to add Love - Kobe/Bynum/Love and they trade out Gasol.

305Baller
01-20-2012, 05:17 AM
yeah

All Net
01-20-2012, 05:29 AM
Yes, afterall he is the best power forward in the league....:pimp:

MK2V1GP
01-20-2012, 04:12 PM
"We'll wait and see what happens," Love said. "But between now and the 25th something will happen. Either something will happen positive or something will happen negative."

Love was asked what would happen if no extension is signed.

"It wouldn't be ideal," Love said. "So it would be nice to work something out. I enjoy it here, I enjoy my teammates, I enjoy the coaching staff, I enjoy the Twin Cities, even when it's cold.

"I figure if I keep playing my game, playing hard-nosed basketball, playing the way I'm supposed to play, everything will take care of itself."

Good to hear

bagelred
04-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Minnesota Timberwolves record since Kevin Love became a Timberwolf.

81 - 224

.266 %

:biggums:

He's amazing!!!!:bowdown:

I know, never his fault. :no:

LamarOdom
04-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Minnesota Timberwolves record since Kevin Love became a Timberwolf.

81 - 224

.266 %

:biggums:

He's amazing!!!!:bowdown:

I know, never his fault. :no:

Don't bother they will only say he has no help but they are forgetting he has no impact, look at LBJ and Howard no help and they got their team to the finals. LBJ and Howard are max contract players Kevin love? no.

Kblaze8855
04-12-2012, 01:06 PM
He not the kind of player id want to give a max contract but you cant justify not giving it to him when you see what players on his level get paid. You dont need to be a top player to get a max deal. Hard to say Antawn Jamison gets one but not Love. Hes not my idea of a best of the best of the best player who I think the max is made for....but when Troy Murphy makes like 12 million some years you cant offer Love 10.

LamarOdom
04-12-2012, 01:12 PM
He not the kind of player id want to give a max contract but you cant justify not giving it to him when you see what players on his level get paid. You dont need to be a top player to get a max deal. Hard to say Antawn Jamison gets one but not Love. Hes not my idea of a best of the best of the best player who I think the max is made for....but when Troy Murphy makes like 12 million some years you cant offer Love 10.

Troy averaged 12 mills a year in his last year his starting salary was at 7-8 millions, and that is not too much for a guy that averaged 14ppg/12rpg on 34 minutes, not saying he was worth that much but it's not like he sucked like now.

SFMF
04-12-2012, 01:28 PM
If you compare him with other players who have received a max deal - then yes. Traditionally would I consider him a max level player? No.

This. WTF happen to the NBA? a playoff virgin getting a max deal... really?

Bigsmoke
04-12-2012, 01:33 PM
26 points and 13 rebounds a night??

sure

Pushxx
04-12-2012, 01:42 PM
It's the fault of the owners. Once they began overvaluing
average talent, the good players got near max and the great players got max.

Unfortunately, that means the top 10 players are equal in salary to the top 40.

KevinNYC
04-12-2012, 01:49 PM
It's the fault of the owners. Once they began overvaluing
average talent, the good players got near max and the great players got max.

Unfortunately, that means the top 10 players are equal in salary to the top 40.

It's the fault of basketball teams having very few players and big revenue.

The question is how many players in the league deserve a max deal.

10?

15?

20?

Kevin Love is easily a top ten player this year....so, yeah he does. If Love doesn't deserve it, there's what 2 maybe three players who do?

Pushxx
04-12-2012, 01:51 PM

10?

15?

20?

Kevin Love is easily a top ten player this year....so, yeah he does. If Love doesn't deserve it, there's what 2 maybe three players who do?

I never said Love doesn't deserve it. Kevin Love definitely does deserve a max level.

Dengness9
04-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Based of his insane production and how competitive the T-Wolves were this year before the injury to Rubio and then even Pek for a lil, I think he more than deserves a max.

If Rubio doesn't go down I think the Wolves are fighting for the 8th seed all the way til the last week of the regular season.

MK2V1GP
04-12-2012, 02:07 PM
If Rubio doesn't go down I think the Wolves are fighting for the 8th seed all the way til the last week of the regular season.

If Rubio doesn't go down, the Wolves are fighting for the 6th seed, not the 8th seed. Before Rubio went down, the Wolves were tied for 7th and a half game behind 5th.

Btw, this thread is still stupid. Love is a top 5 player in the NBA.

kaiteng
04-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Haven't max deals screwed a lot of teams' chances to win it all because there had troubles dealing with other players' contracts and free agent signings? KG in Minnesota is somewhat one.

MK2V1GP
04-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Haven't max deals screwed a lot of teams' chances to win it all because there had troubles dealing with other players' contracts and free agent signings? KG in Minnesota is somewhat one.

Kevin Mchale screwed KG and the Timberwolves with the Joe Smith deal. That's the biggest reason the Wolves never were able to really advance. That move handicapped them for years.

PHaYze
04-12-2012, 02:27 PM
There's a lot of teams that would give him a max if the Wolves dont

LamarOdom
04-12-2012, 02:33 PM
If Rubio doesn't go down, the Wolves are fighting for the 6th seed, not the 8th seed. Before Rubio went down, the Wolves were tied for 7th and a half game behind 5th.

Btw, this thread is still stupid. Love is a top 5 player in the NBA.

You are the joke who actually belives Klove is a top 5 player, a top 5 player should be able to push his team to the playoffs or atleast contend for it, even Steve Nash is doing it.

Look at top 5 players like LeBron, Wade, Kobe and Howard all of them took their them to playoffs with a terrible team.

Sarcastic
04-12-2012, 02:35 PM
You are the joke who actually belives Klove is a top 5 player, a top 5 player should be able to push his team to the playoffs or atleast contend for it, even Steve Nash is doing it.

Look at top 5 players like LeBron, Wade, Kobe and Howard all of them took their them to playoffs with a terrible team.

So do you think Kobe was a top 5 player in 2005 when the Lakers missed the playoffs?

LamarOdom
04-12-2012, 02:42 PM
So do you think Kobe was a top 5 player in 2005 when the Lakers missed the playoffs?

Can't say for sure but probably no since he was injured close to 20 games, but the year after he took them to the playoffs with a team that wasn't much better.

MK2V1GP
04-12-2012, 02:42 PM

Pretty sure Kobe missed the playoffs. The only reason Wade made it 2 or 3 times was b/c the East was trash.

Howard doesn't have a terrible team. They even win when he doesn't play or doesn't play good.

You're a clown and your logic fails.

LamarOdom
04-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Pretty sure Kobe missed the playoffs. The only reason Wade made it 2 or 3 times was b/c the East was trash.

Howard doesn't have a terrible team. They even win when he doesn't play or doesn't play good.

No, Magics lost to Nuggets and Wizards this week with Howard gone, Magics have had one of the best defensive ratings in the league with players like Ryan Anderson, J-Rich, Turk, Nelson, Davis etc as their players. Howard also lead them to the finals with Rashard Lewis as his wingman like to see KLove try that.

Kobe when missing the palyoffs played injured whole season and missed 20 games year after lead them to the playoffs with same shit team.

KLOVE is not an impact player just a statsheet stuffer.

highwhey
04-12-2012, 02:48 PM

disregards nash because he has no counter argument.

fact is, if you want to be top 5 nba player, you have to maintain your team at .500+/make playoffs.

only ish 12 year olds are about stats. wow! 40 points! but where will he be post season? does it involve a fishing rod?

top 5...:roll: :roll: :roll:

MK2V1GP
04-12-2012, 02:52 PM
:facepalm

Sarcastic
04-12-2012, 02:54 PM
Detroit must have had a top 5 player in 2004. Only top players win rings, right?

MK2V1GP
04-12-2012, 02:57 PM
The Magics? :facepalm I'm not going to waste my time disputing something with someone who calls the Orlando Magic the Magics. It's obvious you can't have an intelligent conversation/debate.

Nash wasn't mentioned. He didn't lead his team to the playoffs last year and might not this year.

Jordan didn't win anything til he had a top 50 player alongside him.

Funny thing is, everyone who hates on Love and says he puts up empty stats, they'd gladly take him on their team and then their opinion of him would change.

Kevin Love has had to play with scrubs like Webster, Darko, Wes, etc. Prime Duncan couldn't lead a team like that to the playoffs.

The infestation level of morons on ISH is really at an all-time high right now. :hammerhead:

bagelred
04-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Kevin Love has had to play with scrubs like Webster, Darko, Wes, etc. Prime Duncan couldn't lead a team like that to the playoffs.

:wtf:

:roll:

Good one. :applause:

LamarOdom
04-12-2012, 03:16 PM
The Magics? :facepalm I'm not going to waste my time disputing something with someone who calls the Orlando Magic the Magics. It's obvious you can't have an intelligent conversation/debate.

Nash wasn't mentioned. He didn't lead his team to the playoffs last year and might not this year.

Funny thing is, everyone who hates on Love and says he puts up empty stats, they'd gladly take him on their team and then their opinion of him would change.

The infestation level of morons on ISH is really at an all-time high right now. :hammerhead:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CLE/2007.html

That is LeBron finals team from 07, please tell me now how much better the Cavs was.

Edit: BTW how many wins does the TBW have w/o Rubio?

airchibundo507
04-12-2012, 03:20 PM
:wtf:

:roll:

Good one. :applause:

neither could MJ! i mean look at them! :lol

highwhey
04-12-2012, 04:14 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll:

if there's anything i'd bet my life on, it's duncan making the playoffs. how about that gentleman with the receding hairline? he took a bunch of scrubs to the finals!

NoGunzJustSkillz
04-12-2012, 04:30 PM

10?

15?

20?

:applause:

maybe a few more than 2 or 3, but you're on point.

DKLaker
04-12-2012, 04:35 PM
I said no at the beginning because I didn't think he could make clutch shots from distance with a defender in his face...or multiple shots in that situation.....but clearly I was wrong and have to agree that he's a max contract player and should continue to be one. His improvements are very impressive.

bagelred
04-12-2012, 06:55 PM
Wow. This is some rare footage. David Kahn convincing Kevin Love that losses are not his fault.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtkST5-ZFHw#t=0m10s

chips93
04-12-2012, 07:08 PM
i miss the old bagelred

:(

LamarOdom
04-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Wow. This is some rare footage. David Kahn convincing Kevin Love that losses are not his fault.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtkST5-ZFHw#t=0m10s

Don't fack with him.