PDA

View Full Version : Let's revisit Magic Johnson's 1995-1996 season with the Lakers...

AMISTILLILL
01-23-2012, 02:05 PM
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2006/0505/nba_g_mjohnson_430.jpg
After a lackluster stint as Lakers head coach for a handful of games only two seasons earlier and roughly five years removed from his initial retirement, Magic suited up in the purple and gold one last time in the 1995-1996 season at age 36, playing at PF in 32 games with 9 starts and averaging 14.6 points, 6.9 assists and 5.7 rebounds. In an era where a thorough understanding of his disease was still lacking, Magic managed to overcome any and all related distractions and put up respectable numbers in his brief 'comeback' stint with the Lakers.

In his first game back on January 30th, 1996, Magic flirted with a triple double in a home win over Golden State, posting 19 points, 10 assists, 8 rebounds and 2 steals in just 27 minutes of play. Here's the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXRk0BpCEjI&feature=related

A few short weeks later on February 16th, Magic once again came close to a triple double, coming off the bench to put up 29 points, 11 assists, 8 rebounds, 2 steals and 2 blocks in just over 30 minutes played. Featured was a great match-up between Magic and a young Jason Kidd (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKuFZB7MQ6w&feature=related).

Incredible to see Jordan, Magic, Rodman and Pippen all on the floor together in that legendary 72-10 Bulls season: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFnRJGz8WQw

For further reading, check out this excellent article by Gary Smith in Sports Illustrated, outlining a lot : http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1007724/index.htm

While the Lakers were eventually ousted by the defending champion Houston Rockets, the importance of Magic's role in helping them achieve the #4 seed in the west is irrefutable. They went 22-10 in the 32 games he played.

Whoah10115
01-23-2012, 02:21 PM
There is no player, outside of Michael Jordan, that can touch Magic Johnson. No one.

NugzHeat3
01-23-2012, 03:30 PM
This was great to me because it's the only time I ever saw Magic on TV outside the Dream Team.

They had a lot of hype around it especially the debut vs Golden State and in that Bulls game you linked.

I think his debut was on a double header on TNT. Bulls vs Rockets was right before that game.

It's amazing how he just returns and puts up a sick statline in like 25 minutes or so. A classic moment too when he put that ball fake on Sprewell and the Forum erupted.

He was pretty good in that return despite not having a team accustomed to him. They didn't always know when to cut when he had the ball. He didn't even play the point that much. They just made him a post up player because Nick didn't want to give up his position. Del also had some issues distrubuting minutes between him and Ced.

He was pretty amazing in the post though; throwing hooks of all kinds with either hand, passing out of double teams, using his body to create space and get defenders off balance. Just a great feel for post-up play.

There was a game they played @ Miami where Magic just beasted down low. There was a dirty move he put on Horry in the playoffs sort of like the ball fake followed by the counter Hakeem put on Robinson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_siuy0-rhw - At 7:16

I think if they just made him a full-time PG, he would've stayed another year at least. He hated how the playoffs went since they were so disorganized and he didn't have much freedom in the offense.

Also, I watched the game vs Dallas linked in the OP. Van Exel was always ridiculous on those half-court buzzer beaters, just shot them at any opportunity with so much confidence.

SpecialQue
01-23-2012, 03:38 PM
Everytime I see one of those "who would you most like to build a team around?" questions, I always pick Magic. It's not even close. Just a ridiculously great talent.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-23-2012, 03:43 PM
NPZ is the man. I lost track of time watching those gems for hours the other day. Awesome channel.

quick96
01-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Another great example of the over inflated 90's era of basketball.

You put a hall of fame player like Magic Johnson in the 1990's and he

dominates.

It's no wonder Michael "90's cupcake" Jordan was able to win so much.

The league was full cabbage patch kids and expansion teams.

Michael "cream puff" Jordan will never be on the same level as

Magic Johnson or Larry Bird....

HA!

SpecialQue
01-23-2012, 04:00 PM
Another great example of the over inflated 90's era of basketball.

You put a hall of fame player like Magic Johnson in the 1990's and he

dominates.

It's no wonder Michael "90's cupcake" Jordan was able to win so much.

The league was full cabbage patch kids and expansion teams.

Michael "cream puff" Jordan will never be on the same level as

Magic Johnson or Larry Bird....

HA!

Please do not derail this thread with trolling

and bizarre sentence breaks.

Instead let us just celebrate the comeback

of one of the greatest players

of all time.

OK?

quick96
01-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Please do not derail this thread with trolling

and bizarre sentence breaks.

Instead let us just celebrate the comeback

of one of the greatest players

of all time.

OK?

U got a problem with someone speaking the truth? :pimp:

SpecialQue
01-23-2012, 04:15 PM

I actually agree with you, but I don't think this is the thread for that discussion.

RRR3
01-23-2012, 04:18 PM
Jordan was the best player in the NBA in the second half of the 80's as well. :confusedshrug:

HB40TheNextStar
01-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Everytime I see one of those "who would you most like to build a team around?" questions, I always pick Magic. It's not even close. Just a ridiculously great talent.

It's interesting. They asked on the NBATV show with Barkley, Shaq, Kerr, Jet, Steve Smith, Webber, and Reggie if they were starting a franchise, who would they choose between: Jordan, Magic, and Bird. They all acknowledged that Jordan is the GOAT, but I think most chose Magic because he's a PG. They would rather build it up from either the center or point positions and he'd bring Showtime to whatever team he is on.

quick96
01-23-2012, 04:22 PM
I actually agree with you, but I don't think this is the thread for that discussion.

Cool. I was just making my point about Michael "twinkie" Jordan being and
overrated 1990's shirley temple. But you right, I'll save it for the next thread.

:pimp:

jlip
01-23-2012, 04:23 PM
I did some calculations a while back. In the 50 games that the Lakers played without Magic in '96 they shot 47.6% from the field. In the 32 games that he played, they shot 49% from the field. While that's not a huge leap, consider this. He only shot, 46.6% from the field himself which was lower than the teams avg. That means that his personal fg% actually had a negative effect on the team, but his presence, leadership, and facilitating were enough to compensate for that.

DMV2
01-23-2012, 04:23 PM
There was a game where he was ejected for yelling and bumping into a ref.

Anybody else remember that incident?

Solid Snake
01-23-2012, 04:56 PM

That wasn't Magic. That was Nick Van Exel.

AMISTILLILL
01-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Any old heads catch one of those 32 games in person?

NugzHeat3
01-23-2012, 05:20 PM

Yes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFE-HqwE7io&feature=channel_video_title - 5:36 mark

I'm pretty sure he got suspended for it too. Van Exel got suspended for the same thing a few games earlier.

Whoah10115
01-23-2012, 07:19 PM
I was actually watching the chest bump game live.

Love Magic Johnson.

TAZORAC
01-23-2012, 07:30 PM
There is no player, outside of Michael Jordan, that can touch Magic Johnson. No one.

Magic Johnson was slow and had no jump shot, don't fool yourself. Magic Johnson or Larry Bird wouldn't even start on a NBA team today

Pushxx
01-23-2012, 07:37 PM
I also would choose Magic Johnson to start my team.

Magic Johnson was slow and had no jump shot, don't fool yourself. Magic Johnson or Larry Bird wouldn't even start on a NBA team today

ROFL MAGIC SLOW?! Bird and Magic not starting?! Massive troll.

http://media.gamerevolution.com/images/misc/obvious-troll.jpg

TAZORAC
01-23-2012, 07:41 PM
I also would choose Magic Johnson to start my team.

ROFL MAGIC SLOW?! Bird and Magic not starting?! Massive troll.

http://media.gamerevolution.com/images/misc/obvious-troll.jpg

You clearly don't know anything about basketball. Your probably what I coined as a "STAT GEEK".

Johnson was slow with no jump shot who the hell DOESN'T know that? Bird was slow with a jump shot and thats ALL he could do, in today's game he'd be shut down and riding somebody's bench allah Brian Scralbrine. Or he'd have to get another job.

Pushxx
01-23-2012, 07:44 PM
You clearly don't know anything about basketball. Your probably what I coined as a "STAT GEEK".

Johnson was slow with no jump shot who the hell DOESN'T know that? Bird with slow with a jump shot and thats ALL he could do, in todays game he'd be shut down and riding somebody's bench allah Brian Scralbrine. Or he'd have to get another job.

How am I a stat geek when I didn't use a single statistic? LOL

Magic Johnson was very athletic and strong. How old are you? Like...14?

DMV2
01-23-2012, 07:46 PM
Yes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFE-HqwE7io&feature=channel_video_title - 5:36 mark

I'm pretty sure he got suspended for it too. Van Exel got suspended for the same thing a few games earlier.
Oh, awesome find. Repped!

I remember seeing that as a kid. I was just starting to watch the NBA around that time.

DonDadda59
01-23-2012, 07:47 PM

Johnson was slow with no jump shot who the hell DOESN'T know that? Bird with slow with a jump shot and thats ALL he could do, in todays game he'd be shut down and riding somebody's bench allah Brian Scralbrine. Or he'd have to get another job.

Or winning championships and sweeping/dominating the Kobes, Lebrons, etc of the world like this guy (who has only a fraction of Bird's overall talent):

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/sportatorium/Dirk%20MVP.jpg

TAZORAC
01-23-2012, 07:50 PM
How am I a stat geek when I didn't use a single statistic? LOL

Magic Johnson was very athletic and strong. How old are you? Like...14?

Everybody's "strong" at 6'9 6'10 250, he was strong for a point guard not for a power forward. Your FIRST comment was 'nobody can touch MJ outside of Magic Johnson, which is pure IGNORANCE.

The only thing special about Johnson was he was a relatively good ball handler for a 6'9 6'10 guy..BACK THEN.

Put Magic Johnson on say Cleveland's team when they went to the championship in place of Lebron and see how that works out for ya buddy, when you can't score any points.

TAZORAC
01-23-2012, 07:52 PM
Or winning championships and sweeping/dominating the Kobes, Lebrons, etc of the world like this guy (who has only a fraction of Bird's overall talent):

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/sportatorium/Dirk%20MVP.jpg

:facepalm :facepalm

Notowski can SHOOT OVER PEOPLE stat geek number 48375...Bird wasn't as big as Notowski so it's really no comparison. Notowski is almost 7'0 tall and one of the best shooters in the game.

Asukal
01-23-2012, 07:54 PM
Everybody's "strong" at 6'9 6'10 250, he was strong for a point guard not for a power forward. Your FIRST comment was 'nobody can touch MJ outside of Magic Johnson, which is pure IGNORANCE.

The only thing special about Johnson was he was a relatively good ball handler for a 6'9 6'10 guy..BACK THEN.

Put Magic Johnson on say Cleveland's team when they went to the championship in place of Lebron and see how that works out for ya buddy, when you can't score any points.

YOU! YES YOU don't know shit about basketball. Go get a brain you retard! :facepalm

Pushxx
01-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Your FIRST comment was 'nobody can touch MJ outside of Magic Johnson, which is pure IGNORANCE.

Can you read? I didn't say anything like that...Whoah10115 said "There is no player, outside of Michael Jordan, that can touch Magic Johnson. No one."

Which is totally reasonable if you read it correctly...

DonDadda59
01-23-2012, 07:58 PM
:facepalm :facepalm

Notowski can SHOOT OVER PEOPLE stat geek number 48375...Bird wasn't as big as Notowski so it's really no comparison. Notowski is almost 7'0 tall and one of the best shooters in the game.

But he's not athletic. So obviously, 'Notowski' would = Scalabrine, riding someone's bench in today's game, yadda yadda yadda. Eat a d*ck.

TAZORAC
01-23-2012, 08:10 PM
YOU! YES YOU don't know shit about basketball. Go get a brain you retard! :facepalm

Everybody with common sense knows that as time passes people get better. Alabama or LSU's college football team could beat NFL teams from 80s. Tennis players today are better then Tennis players from days gone bye.

Magic Johnson was LUCKY he played in Los Angeles which is a big market area. If Magic Johson with his SKILL SET played with the Sacramento Kings or Denver Nuggets, we'd barely know who he was.

Asukal
01-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Everybody with common sense knows that as time passes people get better. Alabama or LSU's college football team could beat NFL teams from 80s. Tennis players today are better then Tennis players from days gone bye.

Magic Johnson was LUCKY he played in Los Angeles which is a big market area. If Magic Johson will his SKILL SET played with the Sacramento Kings or Denver Nuggets, we'd barely know who he was.

DIDN'T REAAAAD!!!! :roll:

TAZORAC
01-23-2012, 08:13 PM
But he's not athletic. So obviously, 'Notowski' would = Scalabrine, riding someone's bench in today's game, yadda yadda yadda. Eat a d*ck.

yea he's not athletic, if you knew anything about basketball you would see the point I was trying to make. He's 7'0 MEANING HE DOESN'T NEED TO BE AS ATHLETIC WAS A GUY 6'7 idiot.

Is it harder to guard a guy 7'0 with a deadly jump shot or is it harder to guard a guy 6'7? Can you answer that?

SpecialQue
01-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Hell yes, another retarded user to add to my ignore list!

:rockon:

Pushxx
01-23-2012, 08:17 PM
Magic Johnson was LUCKY he played in Los Angeles which is a big market area. If Magic Johson will his SKILL SET played with the Sacramento Kings or Denver Nuggets, we'd barely know who he was.

Yeah, he got lucky he averaged almost a triple double over 2 years in college so he could be the 1st pick in the draft...:facepalm

SOOO LUCKY MAGIC JOHNSON!!! LOLOL We'd barely know him...hahahaha

/sarcasm

TAZORAC
01-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Yeah, he got lucky he averaged almost a triple double over 2 years in college so he could be the 1st pick in the draft...:facepalm

SOOO LUCKY MAGIC JOHNSON!!! LOLOL We'd barely know him...hahahaha

/sarcasm

KURT THOMAS was the leading scorer IN THE NATION his senior year in college.

Yes this KURT THOMAS
http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/media/act_kurt_thomas.jpg
Humble yourself Pushxx..I'm by far the most knowledgeable person on this forum. I'm the resident expert here.

DonDadda59
01-23-2012, 08:23 PM
yea he's not athletic, if you knew anything about basketball you would see the point I was trying to make. He's 7'0 MEANING HE DOESN'T NEED TO BE AS ATHLETIC WAS A GUY 6'7 idiot.

Is it harder to guard a guy 7'0 with a deadly jump shot or is it harder to guard a guy 6'7? Can you answer that?

How tall was Larry Bird again? And are you telling me that the only way guys like Bird and Dirk get/got points is by shooting jumpers over people? They have no driving ability, no post up games? And this is just purely scoring, not taking into account rebounding, passing ability, overall basketball IQ. But Larry Bird=Scalabrine because he's not 7' tall like Dirk?

And you have the nerve to say I don't know anything about basketball :oldlol:

Asukal
01-23-2012, 09:39 PM

Yes this KURT THOMAS
http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/media/act_kurt_thomas.jpg
Humble yourself Pushxx..I'm by far the most unknowledgeable person on this forum. I'm the resident idiot here.

fixed! :cheers:

Pushxx
01-23-2012, 09:51 PM

Humble yourself Pushxx..I'm by far the most knowledgeable person on this forum. I'm the resident expert here.

Yeah and he was the 10th pick. Magic was the 1st pick...

Plus, following your logic, you're saying that if a better team picked Kurt Thomas, he would have turned into one of the 3 best players that ever played basketball?

Cause that's the logic you have. You said people would barely know who Magic was if he wasn't picked by the Lakers.

bwink23
01-23-2012, 10:28 PM

TROLLING MUCH???

Deuce Bigalow
01-23-2012, 10:30 PM
Goat

TAZORAC
01-23-2012, 11:07 PM
TROLLING MUCH???

Your probably like 21 and never seen a full Magic Johnson game. You just know him because he's popular.

Rake2204
01-23-2012, 11:22 PM
It's amazing how he just returns and puts up a sick statline in like 25 minutes or so. A classic moment too when he put that ball fake on Sprewell and the Forum erupted.

Alright, so in 1996, I was in 6th grade. That means when Johnson announced his retirement in 1991, I was heading into just 2nd grade. Subsequently, I never really got to watch him play prior to his comeback. Only highlights. And even then, seeing the same highlights over and over became a little numbing (always the right hand, ball-on-a-platter, no-look shovel pass).

But that night, January 30, 1996 (the day my brother was born), when Magic Johnson checked in and just moments after entering, pulled off that ball-fake on Latrell Sprewell, I felt I was instantly made aware of the magic I'd missed throughout Johnson's early career. That one ball fake was enough to illustrate how he operated on a different level from anyone else who'd ever played the game. By that I mean, I realized it is quite different to watch a great player play and experience the beauty unfolding, as opposed to watching highlights where you know what's coming. That play might not even be in Magic's all-time top 20, but I'd never seen anything like it to that point.

That electric Sprewell fake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeqkGwnHqrQ

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-23-2012, 11:39 PM
Your probably like 21 and never seen a full Magic Johnson game. You just know him because he's popular.

Magic couldn't shoot? Is that why he was a career 85% from the charity stripe?

Next...

bizil
01-24-2012, 12:17 AM
Magic in my book flat balled for that Lakers team. And the best player on the team. He came off the bench and did great though. And he was doing it at 36 or 37 years old. What's scary is that Magic came damn close to being able to play with Shaq AND Kobe! Both arrived that very next year!

Lebron23
01-24-2012, 01:06 AM
I only watched Prime Magic Johnson ion NBA greatest games, and some of the Showtime Lakers games on youtube. He was a great baller. Magic in last great season led the Lakers in the 1991 NBA Finals.