PDA

View Full Version : Wolves and Kevin Love Agree to 4 year $60 million contract extension

All Net
01-24-2012, 10:11 PM
Right off the press from ESPN sportscenter...

The Ownage
01-24-2012, 10:13 PM
That's not bad at all. :applause:

CLTHornets4eva
01-24-2012, 10:15 PM
Best move ever by David Kahn. :cheers: Cheers Timberwolves fans.

Pushxx
01-24-2012, 10:17 PM
If that's true, that's a steal.

UtahJazzFan88
01-24-2012, 10:18 PM
Wow. Kahn actually made a very smart move. How the hell did they pull that off? :applause:

Bernie Nips
01-24-2012, 10:19 PM
Props to Kevin Love for the loyalty. Great player, great human. :applause:

FireMcFailPlease
01-24-2012, 10:19 PM
ok. the kahn jokes are old.

YAWN
01-24-2012, 10:20 PM
15.5 million a year. Nice going KLOVE :bowdown:

Draz
01-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Kevin Love is a good player. Good job.

FireMcFailPlease
01-24-2012, 10:31 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/kevinlove/status/161998404170428418

nm lol

Collie
01-24-2012, 10:33 PM
Cheaper than Westbrook.

PJR
01-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Dynasty.

irondarts
01-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Now let's watch ESPN backtrack....

TaLvsCuaL
01-24-2012, 10:37 PM
Great news to start building a decent team around him, and Rubio.

KDthunderup
01-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Apparently the report is wrong, they are still in talks

@ESPNSteinLine

Two sources close to process tell ESPN com that Kevin Love has NOT yet agreed to contract extension and that talks are still "ongoing"

https://twitter.com/#!/ESPNSteinLine

The_Yearning
01-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Apparently the report is wrong, they are still in talks

@ESPNSteinLine

Two sources close to process tell ESPN com that Kevin Love has NOT yet agreed to contract extension and that talks are still "ongoing"

https://twitter.com/#!/ESPNSteinLine

Lol after he saw Westbrook get 80M he definitely wants 90M.

kingBynum
01-24-2012, 10:46 PM
Wow Kevin Love fire your dumb agent now. Your are worth at minimum 20 mil a year. FFFFFUUUUUU.....~15mil is dirt cheap man..come on.:facepalm

Jasper
01-24-2012, 10:46 PM
I'm not going out on a limb on this one : many NBA players would lov to play with Love as a teammate.

It's T-Wolves front office to make the right moves to get this player and franchise into the playoff's.

Jasper
01-24-2012, 10:47 PM
Wow Kevin Love fire your dumb agent now. Your are worth at minimum 20 mil a year. FFFFFUUUUUU.....~15mil is dirt cheap man..come on.:facepalm

maybe he didn't want to be anothe 'big ticket' and strap the franchise for years to come , with a deminised roster :confusedshrug:

kingBynum
01-24-2012, 10:50 PM
maybe he didn't want to be anothe 'big ticket' and strap the franchise for years to come , with a deminised roster :confusedshrug:
He is their franchise player though. He's in his prime and now is the best chance for you to make that $$$. :facepalm

KDthunderup
01-24-2012, 10:54 PM
It isn't true, read the whole thread

R.I.P.
01-24-2012, 11:01 PM
Let me guess how it went down. Broussard reported it first, ESPN wanted Stein to confirm, and he said Broussard made up shit again. :lol

bagelred
01-24-2012, 11:03 PM
That's $1 million for every win he's been a part of.

Good work if you can get it.

Rekindled
01-24-2012, 11:05 PM
JerryZgoda Jerry Zgoda
Re: Love's contract...everything I've heard all day had me thinking for 1st time it WON'T get done & I don't think anything's changed tonite

that's the wolves beatwriter, so he says love will be a RFA

Jasper
01-24-2012, 11:09 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7499532/sources-kevin-love-minnesota-timberwolves-continue-work-contract-extension

bluechox2
01-24-2012, 11:19 PM
brussard is a dumbass

Bernie Nips
01-24-2012, 11:27 PM

It wasn't The Big Ticket who strapped the franchise for years to come... it was Kevin McHale trying to get around the salary cap with Joe Smith that strapped them. They lost 3 first round draft picks in the next 5 years.

04mzwach
01-24-2012, 11:31 PM
Kevin Love taking less money like I wanted. Kevin Love is the man! :bowdown:

04mzwach
01-24-2012, 11:32 PM
This makes me think they'll get some type of trade done soon for other players since he changed his max player tune.

KDthunderup
01-24-2012, 11:34 PM
he didnt accept it, the report was false

MK2V1GP
01-25-2012, 12:02 AM

Deal isn't done broski. :(

I got a bad feeling.

04mzwach
01-25-2012, 12:03 AM
Deal isn't done broski. :(

I got a bad feeling.
NOOOOOOOoooooooooooo! :(

04mzwach
01-25-2012, 12:04 AM
The title is stupid. Why does it matter if the Wolves agree with it? Kevin Love has to. :wtf: We already knew what they were going to offer like a week ago. Oh wait, nevermind. It kind of makes sense.

bluechox2
01-25-2012, 12:17 AM
espn analysts: lets prank brussard

"hey chris, we just heard kevin love is going to sign a 65 mil deal with wolves, and stein is going to report it on the air"

chris:"com'on guys, i never get it right, let me do it so pple wont think i bullshit every single time"

"alright chris, its all yours' *chuckle*

04mzwach
01-25-2012, 12:22 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7499532/sources-kevin-love-minnesota-timberwolves-continue-work-contract-extension
The first part of this article is leaning towards a Kevin Love 4 year, 62 million agreement Wednesday. :applause: It's looking good so far.

irondarts
01-25-2012, 12:53 AM
Why would Kevin Love sign this deal when he is eligible for the same deal Westbrook just got? He'll be a restricted FA.

hawkfan
01-25-2012, 02:51 AM
Over 4 years, he wouldn't be taking less money - that's the max now for extensions on rookie contracts.

I guess they are saving the designated player status for either Williams or Rubio.

How much would he get if he becomes a RFA this summer?

ZOMG
01-25-2012, 02:55 AM
Love isn't a franchise player. He gets his stats but makes neither anyone else or his team better.

I'm tired of small market teams overpaying these second bananas masqueraring as franchise players. See also: Danny Granger.

HurricaneKid
01-25-2012, 02:59 AM
I guess they are saving the designated player status for either Williams or Rubio.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

dunksby
01-25-2012, 03:09 AM
Westbrook extended for five years $80 million which translates to $16 mil a year comparing to this contract which would pay Love 15.5 a year.

All Net
01-25-2012, 03:12 AM
Seeing as this is not a done deal I have edited the subject title.

talkingconch
01-25-2012, 04:19 AM
Kevin Love would be a Restricted Free Agent right? So that means he can't sign where he wants to like say Lebron did?

what if he takes less money to play for another team? He can't do that? His team would only match the offer if the another team brought a better one, can someone explain if another team offers less but is in good position for playoff/championship and Kevin Love is interested? What would be the case then?

hawkfan
01-25-2012, 04:21 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Then why aren't they using it on Love?

AngelEyes
01-25-2012, 04:22 AM
Love isn't a franchise player. He gets his stats but makes neither anyone else or his team better.

I'm tired of small market teams overpaying these second bananas masqueraring as franchise players. See also: Danny Granger.

He's a much better player than Danny Granger's one dimensional ass. At least Love can fill it up, rebound and pass a little. Granger has never looked like a star. The Pacers have bad history of severely overpaying players, i.e. Jermaine O'neal.

hawkfan
01-25-2012, 04:26 AM
Kevin Love would be a Restricted Free Agent right? So that means he can't sign where he wants to like say Lebron did?

what if he takes less money to play for another team? He can't do that? His team would only match the offer if the another team brought a better one, can someone explain if another team offers less but is in good position for playoff/championship and Kevin Love is interested? What would be the case then?

It's a gamble.

The Clippers didn't reach an agreement with DeAndre Jordan and then waited until another team made an offer. The Warriors offered 4 years, $43 million, and they matched it, so the Clippers had to pay more than what they initially wanted to pay.

Maybe the Wolves are waiting to see if another team would make an offer more than what the Wolves are willing to give. Maybe he won't get a better offer; maybe he will.

Lebron23
01-25-2012, 08:45 AM
He's worth it. He's averaging a double double this season.

MK2V1GP
01-25-2012, 11:43 AM
If Rashard Lewis was worth that contract, Love is.
If Gilbert Arenas was worth that contract, Love is.
If Amare, Brand, Joe Johnson, Antawn Jamison, Tyson Chandler and Boozer are worth the contracts they got, then Love is.

All Net
01-25-2012, 02:12 PM
Done deal now....

04mzwach
01-25-2012, 02:39 PM
Any details of the contract yet? Besides the amount of money and years..

MK2V1GP
01-25-2012, 02:44 PM
4-year deal with a player opt-out in year 3.

Idk what to think of it. Theoretically, Love could leave in a year, year and a half. He could be dissatisfied with the direction of the team and tell the Wolves' FO that he will opt out, which will then turn into trade talks so Minnesota doesn't lose him with nothing in return if he opts out.

Also, he could stay the life of the 4-year contract, but then Rubio, Williams and Love would all be up for new contracts at the same time, which would be hellish negotiations for Kahn and Taylor.

One positive is now Minnesota can save that 5-year designated max contract for Rubio (or Williams if he becomes a stud).

I'm glad a deal is finally done, but not too ecstatic with the possible shortness of the deal considering the opt-out.

MK2V1GP
01-25-2012, 02:45 PM
Also, this is somewhat surprising:

"I was willing to make a commitment for five years. They thought otherwise." -Love

All Net
01-25-2012, 02:52 PM

"I was willing to make a commitment for five years. They thought otherwise." -Love

Yeah WTF is that about?

MK2V1GP
01-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Overall, I'm just glad he re-signed so Wolves fans don't have to worry about this at least until another couple of years.

With everything he's said today, he sounds happy to have a deal done and that he WANTS to stay in Minnesota.

FireDavidKahn
01-25-2012, 02:58 PM

It's a non story

Ryan Jones @thefarmerjones

1 of these 2 things is true: I just traded text messages with Kevin Love. He's not at all bitter about how this contract thing went down.

MK2V1GP
01-25-2012, 02:59 PM
Yeah WTF is that about?

I'd guess Minnesota wanted to save the 5-year designated contract for Rubio. I'd guess that more teams would come after Rubio than would Love.

MK2V1GP
01-25-2012, 03:08 PM
It's a non story

I hope so, and I'm sure it is. But...

RicBucher Ric Bucher
KLove isn't thrilled, but the TWolves took full advantage of the new CBA. It's what a small-market team has to do to have a chance.

It's a no-brainer that Love would've preferred the max deal (max $$$, max years) so I'm sure he's a little disappointed in that. But hopefully both sides are happy now that it's done.

guy
01-25-2012, 03:19 PM
By the time Love can opt out, Boozer's contract with the Bulls will be finished.

Lets start the Love to Bulls in 2015 rumors! :banana:

MK2V1GP
01-25-2012, 03:19 PM
RicBucher Ric Bucher
For tweeps asking why KLove isn't thrilled: he wanted the full 5-year, $80m max. But 4yrs, $62m is still more than he could get elsewhere.

The_Yearning
01-25-2012, 03:26 PM
Good move Kahn. This guy isn't a max player. Now watch his numbers dipped like no other and the Wolves would still be the same play and you would not notice a thing. No impact player bitching about money what's new?

HurricaneKid
01-25-2012, 04:25 PM
LOL at everyone saying they didn't pay him so they could use the designated deal for Rubio. Rubio has been a revelation but he is nowhere near sniffing the all NBA team, etc. Bird rights gives the team the right to go 5 years on whoever they would like (OKC just signed 2 guys for 5 years). They can only have one designated player (30%) but no one else on that team is even in the ballpark of qualifying so its a non-issue.

I am pretty surprised they didn't sign him for 5 years. They are going to be up a creek in 3 years when he opts out (which he almost certainly will unless he is underperforming).

Derka
01-25-2012, 04:46 PM
Had he played the season out, Boston would have put a great offer sheet in front of him.

Ah well, props to him for staying loyal and taking the deal over the bullshit.

Droid101
01-25-2012, 07:00 PM

Come on, the Wolves are playing hardball. No other team can offer more than 4 years, and each year would be for less money (smaller raises).

So, he gets more money for the same years he'd get elsewhere, and the Wolves save their designated rookie extension deal to use on Rubio later.

knicksman
01-25-2012, 07:54 PM
now hell stop giving effort on rebounding for sure

KDthunderup
01-25-2012, 08:33 PM
Props to Love for not taking the max, will help the Wolves out alot

EricGordon23
01-25-2012, 11:11 PM
I am very happy he stayed with Minny instead of trying to go to Nj with dwight and dwill. Suite life on deck baby.

Legend of Josh
01-26-2012, 01:25 AM
That's nice money, no question. I noticed some posters said it was a steal. I think it sounds about right. He's had two incredible seasons here of late, and I expect he'll be the same double-double machine going forward, but will he improve enough to really elevate Minnesota?

Most certainly, the Wolves need help; Love isn't someone capble of getting it all done on his own, in fact, he's not even what I would call a franchise player. He would certainly make a very nice complementary player, but without the Wolves having a real star (and I hate saying it like that, I just don't consider Love a 'star' in the same sense as other players who actually propel their teams into the playoffs or are at least expected to.

I don't think we 'expect' Love to lead his team into the playoffs. Granted, Minnesota isn't exactly equipped to be competitive in the stacked Western Conference, but I guess I'm just getting at he's now making money in a tier where other players making less are more 'effective' at getting their respective team in the post season (even though this list is considerable short, to be fair).

Nonetheless, I'm happy for the guy.

Lastly, I wonder if the hype/buzz around his double-double run had much of a factor into all this?

Legend of Josh
01-26-2012, 01:29 AM
I am very happy he stayed with Minny instead of trying to go to Nj with dwight and dwill. Suite life on deck baby.

Looking at the lack of success for the TWolves franchise (and they don't seem to be positioned to really change that image/culture any time soon) - this could turn out excellent for Love if he's looking to be 'the man' or 'star' in Minnesota. If one of the 'other teams' or markets he 'could have' went to win a title, etc., he may be signing a different tune than being 'Suite life on deck baby' (whatever that means LOL) as being tits.

Rocker09
01-26-2012, 02:24 AM
That's a pretty fair contract considering the numbers that he has been putting up.....

NBAtipoff
01-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Good news. Minnesota can build with Love. He's great. Hopefully he will stay true and try to build something in Minnesota.

hawksdogsbraves
01-26-2012, 05:29 PM
I'm really surprised that the response to this news is positive at all. Love is unquestionably a top 10 player right now. The fact that the T-Wolves didn't lock him up for 5 years is inexplicable.

He will opt out in 3 years and go to LA, I'd bet a thousand dollars on it.

Why in god's name would they save the 5 year deal for Rubio, who even if he turns into a 15/12 type player won't be nearly as good or as valuable as Love is right now? Love looks like he's going to be an all-NBA type player for the next 10 years, and you give him an opt out clause? You give him basically the same contract that Lebron and Bosh signed?

This incompetent front office is going to regret this decision sooooo badly in three years when Love realizes he can opt out and take a BIGGER contract from the Lakers to play in his hometown. Sure they aren't quite paying him max right now, but a max contract for a player this good is absolutely worth it and they should have offered him five years, max contract, private jet, whatever they had to to lock him down. What a horrible front office.

hawkfan
01-26-2012, 05:32 PM
Had he played the season out, Boston would have put a great offer sheet in front of him.

Ah well, props to him for staying loyal and taking the deal over the bullshit.

Would he get more in free agency, or is it the same money.

Droid101
I'm really surprised that the response to this news is positive at all. Love is unquestionably a top 10 player right now. The fact that the T-Wolves didn't lock him up for 5 years is inexplicable.

Why in god's name would they save the 5 year deal for Rubio, who even if he turns into a 15/12 type player won't be nearly as good or as valuable as Love is right now? Love looks like he's going to be an all-NBA type player for the next 10 years, and you give him an opt out clause? You give him basically the same contract that Lebron and Bosh signed?

This incompetent front office is going to regret this decision sooooo badly in three years when Love realizes he can opt out and take a BIGGER contract from the Lakers to play in his hometown. Sure they aren't quite paying him max right now, but a max contract for a player this good is absolutely worth it and they should have offered him five years, max contract, private jet, whatever they had to to lock him down. What a horrible front office.
Book it. Kobe's off the books the same year K-Love can opt out.

Lakers, looks like Minnesota just set up our future for us!

Droid101
Would he get more in free agency, or is it the same money.
Boston could only give him 4.5% raises each year. So no, he can make more in Minnesota.

MK2V1GP
01-26-2012, 05:47 PM
I love how everyone says he's not a max player and not a franchise player and would never be a number one option on a playoff team, but then they say "We're going to get him when he opts out. Our future is set. Etc. Etc"

:hammerhead:

FireMcFailPlease
01-26-2012, 07:29 PM
ishiots are the best

none of you change. ever

Whoah10115
01-26-2012, 11:21 PM

I kinda agree with this. The issue is not whether or not Rubio is the better player, cuz that is very possible. First of all, if Durant and Westbrook can both sign to 5years, then Rubio and Love can as well.

What's wrong with this deal has nothing to do with that. Kevin Love is available for the max NOW. They're gonna tell him no? What does that say to him? Just in case, you might not be that worth it? The 3year opt out no make no sense. He will opt out, regardless, and someone will sign him to the max. So they better be on the cusp of playoffs THIS YEAR and be serious next year on.

hawksdogsbraves
01-27-2012, 01:17 AM
I kinda agree with this. The issue is not whether or not Rubio is the better player, cuz that is very possible. First of all, if Durant and Westbrook can both sign to 5years, then Rubio and Love can as well.

What's wrong with this deal has nothing to do with that. Kevin Love is available for the max NOW. They're gonna tell him no? What does that say to him? Just in case, you might not be that worth it? The 3year opt out no make no sense. He will opt out, regardless, and someone will sign him to the max. So they better be on the cusp of playoffs THIS YEAR and be serious next year on.

I like Rubio, but what makes you think he will possibly be better than a PF who averages 24/14? Those are just crazy ridiculous numbers and I know he is bad at defense and can't create his own shot like a Dirk, but the guy is 23 and is already dominating the league.

But yeah, for the T-Wolves to not lock that down is just mind boggling. How can such a downtrodden franchise not embrace this ray of hope that has fallen into their laps? If I were a Wolves fan I'd be furious.

Whoah10115
01-27-2012, 01:39 PM
I like Rubio, but what makes you think he will possibly be better than a PF who averages 24/14? Those are just crazy ridiculous numbers and I know he is bad at defense and can't create his own shot like a Dirk, but the guy is 23 and is already dominating the league.

But yeah, for the T-Wolves to not lock that down is just mind boggling. How can such a downtrodden franchise not embrace this ray of hope that has fallen into their laps? If I were a Wolves fan I'd be furious.

Rubio is pretty special. I don't want to assume just how high he'll rank, but he'll be the best passer and pure playmaker in the NBA. His vision is thru the roof and he's already a very good man defender and a great defender overall, with his ballhawking. In a year or two he'll be a great defender. Plus, even tho his FG% is down now, you can see he's a capable shooter and will get better. Top 5 PG at the least.

Poodle
01-27-2012, 02:39 PM
i think this thread is pretty nuts how some people are hyping Rubio and putting Love down below him. Thats laughable to me. And this idea Love's defense is so bad doesn't make sense to me either since when i've watched them he has such a long wingspan that he impedes shots just from keeping his arms up, and he generally is able to stay in position preventing them from getting easy buckets. He plays very strong.

But like i've said before ISH has been hating on Love for a long time. Even back when Rambis was benching him people here were calling him a overrated bust and exaggerating his defense being so awful, and people were even hyping Beasley as a lot better than him but i think it was mainly one of those Beasley named fan posters here...but there was a thread that he started where a lot of people were dogging Love like he sucked and was a head case or something i remember specifically.

You don't drop 30 pts some nights, 20+ rebounds some nights, consistently double doubling more than anyone in this league and he's not even the freak that Dwight is, without being very good. Even then TWolves have a lot of talent on that team and other rebounders competing with him, probably more competition in those stats than a lot of other teams(Darko,Beasley, Randolph), but Love still puts up. He's probably the least appreciated star in the league, then again how many people watch TWolves games to appreciate him anyways? Its easier to hate on him from afar without watching i guess...

MK2V1GP
01-27-2012, 03:09 PM
By reaching the contract they did Wednesday, the Wolves now can either extend Love two more seasons on Jan. 25, 2015 -- six months before he has to make a decision on that out option -- and essentially make this a six-year contract.

Or Love can opt out after three seasons, become an unrestricted free agent and still sign a five-year maximum contract -- one year longer than any other team can offer, and basically giving the Wolves' two "designated players" -- thanks to his earned "Bird rights" that will pay him even more than if he had signed that five-year contract now.

So, after you consider everythinng and look everything over, it's actually a pretty smart deal for the Wolves.

usdmef9
01-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Congrats to love for getting his extension. I still feel he is worth the max but thats even sweeter the price he can be had for.