PDA

View Full Version : Which NBA player(s) had the biggest ego in league history

1987_Lakers
01-24-2012, 11:03 PM
I'll start off...

Wilt (stat whore)
Oscar Robertson (A hole to teammates)
Kareem (Insecure big man who always believed he deserved more respect)
MJ
Kobe
Allen Iverson
Elvin Hayes
Shaq
Rick Barry

32Dayz
01-24-2012, 11:06 PM
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe
Kobe

and

Kobe

Shaq was very humble until he started winning Rings and even then PJ said he would still listen to instruction unlike Kobe.

He doesn't belong on the list.

Wilt had a huge ego.

Oscar was one of the first leaders of the PA and was well respected throughout the league.
I dont think he belongs on the list either.

AngelEyes
01-24-2012, 11:06 PM
Every great player had an enormous ego (including Magic and Bird) and you'd be stupid to question that. This is a pretty idiotic question considering there's absolutely no way you can quantify it.

Ariza4three
01-24-2012, 11:07 PM
Payton.

HurricaneKid
01-24-2012, 11:08 PM
Jordan.

I mean it was rightfully enormous but it was certainly the biggest.

Barkley is up there too.

BlackJoker23
01-24-2012, 11:08 PM
I'll start off...

Wilt (stat whore)
MJ
Kobe
Allen Iverson
Elvin Hayes
Shaq
take kobe away and thats a great list

RRR3
01-24-2012, 11:09 PM
Surprised LBJ isn't on your list.

Ariza4three
01-24-2012, 11:10 PM
Surprised LBJ isn't on your list.

Add McGrady to the list too.

AngelEyes
01-24-2012, 11:10 PM
I'll start off...

Wilt (stat whore)
MJ
Kobe
Allen Iverson
Elvin Hayes
Shaq

How do you not even mention Rick Barry who was famous for checking his stats at the scorers table.

Lebron23
01-24-2012, 11:11 PM
Rick Barry. This guy is an @$$hole. Great NBA player, but I don't like his attitude.

32Dayz
01-24-2012, 11:12 PM
How do you not even mention Rick Barry who was famous for checking his stats at the scorers table.

Good one, RBarry had an enormous Ego... hated by many people back in his day for only doing things his way and only believing in his talent.

Definitely belongs on this list.

Mr. Jabbar
01-24-2012, 11:13 PM
I'll start off...

Wilt (stat whore)
MJ
Kobe
Allen Iverson
Elvin Hayes
Shaq

No Lebron? seriosly?

I mean, dude tattoed "chosen one" on his back, wore a "check my $tats t-shirt", calls himself "the king", promised 8 championships like nothing, bumped his coaches when going got tough, and is afraid of taking bail out shots because they ruin his fg%...c'mon if he's not top 1-2 the list is plain wrong...

32Dayz
01-24-2012, 11:14 PM
Junk removed

PHILA
Big Bill, seeing how his ego was fed through the success of his team. Honorable mention to Coach Auerbach, who with Russell formed the greatest duo in league history.

http://i.imgur.com/MQFpa.jpg

RRR3
Add McGrady to the list too.
Shut the hell up T-Mac isn't arrogant

Jotaro Durant
01-24-2012, 11:15 PM
90% of the top 100 players:oldlol:

a lot todays nba besides Durant:rockon:

1987_Lakers
01-24-2012, 11:17 PM

Totally forgot about him, he might have the biggest ego out of all the players I listed.

Tenchi Ryu
01-24-2012, 11:25 PM
Shut the hell up T-Mac isn't arrogant
He is mean as hell though...dude got his marriage proposal rejected....and T-Mac was laughing his ass off right on front of dude face
:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

StateOfMind12
01-24-2012, 11:28 PM
He is mean as hell though...dude got his marriage proposal rejected....and T-Mac was laughing his ass off right on front of dude face

It was probably staged. That being said everybody did laugh at him when the Rockets finally got past the 1st round when Tmac was out for the season in 2009. It was pretty hilarious, it just showed everyone that Tmac is some loser that made teams worse.

32Dayz
01-24-2012, 11:29 PM
It was probably staged. That being said everybody did laugh at him when the Rockets finally got past the 1st round when Tmac was out for the season in 2009. It was pretty hilarious, it just showed everyone that Tmac is some loser that made teams worse.

If you actually believe that... :facepalm

bmulls
01-24-2012, 11:30 PM
KAJ.

Even in interviews today you can tell he's an insecure, arrogant douche bag. Remember the whole statue thing with Magic?

My dad met him when he was a teenager and Kareem was playing in Milwaukee. My dad worked at a hotel and carried his bags up to his room for him. He asked KAJ for an autograph and he laughed and slammed the door in his face. True story.

strifed169
01-24-2012, 11:31 PM
steve nash

KembaWalker
01-24-2012, 11:32 PM
90% of the top 100 players:oldlol:

a lot todays nba besides Durant and D-Rose :rockon:

Fixed that for ya

AngelEyes
01-24-2012, 11:33 PM
http://youtu.be/pcnKtBMoxME?t=5m2s

Yeah, this guy didn't have a enormous ego at all...

Scholar
01-25-2012, 12:25 AM
LBJ definitely tops the list. Hadn't even played a game yet in Miami and already started guaranteeing rings. :facepalm

MJ definitely is somewhere close to the top of the list. He had reason to be egotistical but it's disappointing to know how much of an ego this guy had. He was a major shit talker for no reason.

Charles Barkley comes to mind, too. Even today, he claims he's the GOAT PF. :rolleyes:

Kobe? Yep. He scarcely seems to accept fault when the Lakers lose.

Kevin Garnett is also a player worth noting.

AngelEyes
01-25-2012, 12:35 AM
LBJ definitely tops the list. Hadn't even played a game yet in Miami and already started guaranteeing rings. :facepalm

MJ definitely is somewhere close to the top of the list. He had reason to be egotistical but it's disappointing to know how much of an ego this guy had. He was a major shit talker for no reason.

Charles Barkley comes to mind, too. Even today, he claims he's the GOAT PF. :rolleyes:

Any list without Wilt, Kareem, and Rick Barry is a shit list.

1987_Lakers
01-25-2012, 12:54 AM

Barkley says Duncan is the GOAT PF atleast once a month when I see him on TV.

DKLaker
01-25-2012, 12:58 AM
KAJ.

Even in interviews today you can tell he's an insecure, arrogant douche bag. Remember the whole statue thing with Magic?

My dad met him when he was a teenager and Kareem was playing in Milwaukee. My dad worked at a hotel and carried his bags up to his room for him. He asked KAJ for an autograph and he laughed and slammed the door in his face. True story.

:applause: :cheers: :applause:

Kareem is the biggest A-Hole in sports history.......and I'm a die hard Lakers fan. I've been around him well over 100 times......probably closer to 150 times. He is just a vile, evil person. I've seen him fully curse out 6 year olds for asking for an autograph.
Magic Johnson said that Kareem didn't speak to him the first 5 years they played together......and Magic is one of the greatest people you could ever meet.....everyone loves Magic.

Despite what all the haters want to believe....Kobe is a nice guy. Ego....yes, but very nice.

and don't hate on Wilt, he was always a great guy....real cool brother.

Heavincent
01-25-2012, 01:02 AM

T-Mac is a cool dude. Was very friendly to me when I met him.

LA_Showtime
01-25-2012, 01:04 AM
Rick Barry. This guy is an @$$hole. Great NBA player, but I don't like his attitude.

Brent Barry is a dick too.

LBJMVP
01-25-2012, 01:04 AM
every time i see kareem on t.v.
i think of a turtle that escaped from his shell.

RRR3
01-25-2012, 01:05 AM
T-Mac is a cool dude. Was very friendly to me when I met him.
:cheers:

Mr. Jabbar
01-25-2012, 01:05 AM
every time i see kareem on t.v.
i think of a turtle that escaped from his shell.

:lol

:mad:

RRR3
01-25-2012, 01:07 AM
:applause: :cheers: :applause:

Kareem is the biggest A-Hole in sports history.......and I'm a die hard Lakers fan. I've been around him well over 100 times......probably closer to 150 times. He is just a vile, evil person. I've seen him fully curse out 6 year olds for asking for an autograph.
Magic Johnson said that Kareem didn't speak to him the first 5 years they played together......and Magic is one of the greatest people you could ever meet.....everyone loves Magic.

Despite what all the haters want to believe....Kobe is a nice guy. Ego....yes, but very nice.

and don't hate on Wilt, he was always a great guy....real cool brother.
Evil? Surely you exaggerate. Kareem always struck me as an introvert not a jerk but idknmuch about him

irondarts
01-25-2012, 01:14 AM
Kareem is such a dick.

I remember an interview with him where he said he thought the Lakers disrespected him for making him take a pay cut, yet they were paying Phil 12 million, hey Kareem, Phil's the Head Coach, you're Andrew Bynum's special assistant. Do you really think you should make as much?

Deuce Bigalow
01-25-2012, 01:23 AM
links on rick barry and kareem being assholes?

get these NETS
01-25-2012, 01:27 AM
kareem never cursed out a 6 year old..

come on man..don't make up stuff

get these NETS
01-25-2012, 01:28 AM
man who changed his name to World..as in All World

World B. Free

JGXEN
01-25-2012, 02:44 AM
Can i have more stories on Kareem, Bird being assholes?

HurricaneKid
01-25-2012, 02:56 AM
I think people who vote KAJ or LBJ are missing the boat. I think they both have a complex about being acknowledged because of their lack of self confidence, ie LACK of ego.

KAJ is a legendary dick. I mean legenDARY. But it doesn't mean his ego is enormous. Rick Barry was a legendary dick but he DID have an absurd ego.

dunksby
01-25-2012, 02:58 AM
The guy who didnt feel he needed to practice, who else?

LakersReign
01-25-2012, 03:29 AM
No Lebron? seriosly?

I mean, dude tattoed "chosen one" on his back, wore a "check my $tats t-shirt", calls himself "the king", promised 8 championships like nothing, bumped his coaches when going got tough, and is afraid of taking bail out shots because they ruin his fg%...c'mon if he's not top 1-2 the list is plain wrong...

Agreed:applause:

AngelEyes
01-25-2012, 03:49 AM
I think people who vote KAJ or LBJ are missing the boat. I think they both have a complex about being acknowledged because of their lack of self confidence, ie LACK of ego.

KAJ is a legendary dick. I mean legenDARY. But it doesn't mean his ego is enormous. Rick Barry was a legendary dick but he DID have an absurd ego.

No one is missing the boat. Kareem, James and Barry all have ENORMOUS egos. It's not lack of confidence, it's egotism run rampant. They think they are the center of the world. Barry was a dick and had a huge ego.

DKLaker
01-25-2012, 04:00 AM
kareem never cursed out a 6 year old..

come on man..don't make up stuff

Oh yes he did....not just once either, this is just how vile a person he is.
I absolutely love my Lakers. I'm an old guy, I've met and talked with almost every Lakers player since the team moved to L.A in 1960. I have nothing but praise for every player to wear the uniform except Kareem....I have absolutely no reason to make up anything bad. If you ever met him.....even once you would know what a major prick he is. Everyone he played with and against knows this. When he went broke because his accountant stole his money the players just laughed when he asked for a loan.....he's a hated man.
Believe me.....I wish this wasn't true.

LakersReign
01-25-2012, 04:36 AM
Just gotta love it how people come on here, post something, provide no real proof whatsoever to back it up. Then still expect people to believe them. Kareem never went broke, and just this month was named U.S. cultural ambassador. Plus if you had any idea of what you're talking about, he's been a devout Muslim for longer than you probably been alive. Unlike radical Islam, true Muslims believe in love and equality of all races. A far cry from this "vile" person you're talking about, which is more proof that you're clearly making all that up.:facepalm

Nevaeh
01-25-2012, 05:01 AM
Just gotta love it how people come on here, post something, provide no real proof whatsoever to back it up. Then still expect people to believe them. Kareem never went broke, and just this month was named U.S. cultural ambassador. Plus if you had any idea of what you're talking about, he's been a devout Muslim for longer than you probably been alive. Unlike radical Islam, true Muslims believe in love and equality of all races. A far cry from this "vile" person you're talking about, which is more proof that you're clearly making all that up.:facepalm

I know this might be hard to believe, but life events have actually happened before you were born, you know. Just because you see a "Kinder, Gentler" version of someone now, doesn't mean they weren't Jag-offs 20 years ago.

LakersReign
01-25-2012, 05:14 AM
I know this might be hard to believe, but life events have actually happened before you were born, you know. Just because you see a "Kinder, Gentler" version of someone now, doesn't mean they weren't Jag-offs 20 years ago.

I know this might be hard for you to comprehend, but some people actually have a brain and some form of common sense to NOT believe something just cuz somebody said so. Especially when they provide no real proof other than them saying it happened to back it up. Too bad, you clearly lack both since it's obvious you really believed that delusional hot garbage.:facepalm

AngelEyes
01-25-2012, 05:16 AM
I know this might be hard for you to comprehend, but some people actually have a brain and some form of common sense to NOT believe something just cuz somebody said so. Especially when they provide no real proof other than them saying it happened to back it up. Too bad, you clearly lack both since it's obvious you really believed that delusional hot garbage.:facepalm

The thing is...there have been a lot of people over the years that have said the same thing about Kareem. That he's arrogant, pompous, aloof, dickheaded. This isn't just one dipshit on a message board slandering him. Kareem has a reputation and it kept him out of the game for years.

LakersReign
01-25-2012, 05:26 AM
The thing is...there have been a lot of people over the years that have said the same thing about Kareem. That he's arrogant, pompous, aloof, dickheaded. This isn't just one dipshit on a message board slandering him. Kareem has a reputation and it kept him out of the game for years.

It's been well documented that he doesn't like reporters and media. And he had an incident with somebody from Pearl Jam that was made into a song. Dude is deliberately misrepresenting facts to try and make it look like he actually met the man, and knows the man, when he clearly hasn't and doesn't. Oh, and by the way, bankruptcy and "going broke" are two totally different things

KingLeBronJames
01-25-2012, 05:35 AM
Michael Jordan. Just watch his Hall of Fame speech.

FKAri
01-25-2012, 10:26 AM

The media hated Kareem because of his aloof style and tendency to avoid them. For this reason they'd try to portray him negatively to try to get a rise out of em. Alot of these fabricated stories still exist today and people accept them as fact.

The reality is Kareem didn't like being the spotlight and also didn't like dealing with what came with fame. In that sense he was/is a bit of a dick (not always in the best mood when dealing with fans/public, etc).

ILLsmak
01-25-2012, 10:31 AM
I think having a big ego is not the same as being an egotist or arrogant.

EGO is oneself. A large ego wouldn't have to be outspoken or arrogant or dress a certain way. A huge ego starves out other Egos. It always ends up as the center.

You could say Shaq has a big ego because every team he went to he made it all about him. It didn't take long for that to happen, either.

Phil has a colossal ego; his ego is so large that it is not even affected by star players. He can sit back with his legs crossed while his team loses and when someone like Kobe says, "This year is for OUR legacy" he can be like "lol, my legacy is set, thx."

Kareem, I would say, did not have a large ego; he was even insecure. Neither did Bill Russell. The larger the ego the harder it is to blend in with other people.

-Smak

winwin
01-25-2012, 10:57 AM
i'd be a dick if my people were treated like dogs in 1960's

KAJ is a rebel
KAJ is a civil rights leader
KAJ is a role model

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/01/19/science/earth/mlk480dotearth.jpg

bmulls
01-25-2012, 11:04 AM

Lebron has a gaint "CHOSEN 1" tattoo on his back. If that does not scream huge ego I don't know what does. Usually the guys that are the most insecure build themselves up in their heads (ego) to protect their fragile self image.

I obviously can't prove my dad's story about Kareem, but why would I make that up? Also no one else has mentioned the statue incident. When Magic got a statue outside of Staples Center, KAJ got all butthurt in an interview and said he deserved it more than Magic.

Rnbizzle
01-25-2012, 11:10 AM
i'd be a dick if my people were treated like dogs in 1960's

KAJ is a rebel
KAJ is a civil rights leader
KAJ is a role model

removed pics

You shouldn't post pics like those on here. :facepalm
There's no need for that.

Nevaeh
01-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Lebron has a gaint "CHOSEN 1" tattoo on his back. If that does not scream huge ego I don't know what does. Usually the guys that are the most insecure build themselves up in their heads (ego) to protect their fragile self image.

I obviously can't prove my dad's story about Kareem, but why would I make that up? Also no one else has mentioned the statue incident. When Magic got a statue outside of Staples Center, KAJ got all butthurt in an interview and said he deserved it more than Magic.

Thank you. Saying you "deserve" a statue over a teammate who, not only kept you relevant, but also helped you win rings during the twilight of your career is EGO bullsh!t, no matter how you try to slice it.

The_Yearning
01-25-2012, 05:33 PM

Derrick Rose has "Gods Chosen" yet people scream how humble he is

blablabla
01-25-2012, 05:40 PM
links on rick barry and kareem being assholes?
[QUOTE]To put it simply, people despised him. The former Warriors star had a knack for getting under people

bdreason
01-25-2012, 05:44 PM
There isn't a single great sports player in history of the World that didn't have a big ego. If you don't believe you are the best, then you will never be the best.