PDA

View Full Version : Ankle breakers

JerrySteakhouse
01-28-2012, 11:09 PM
How many dudes have you dropped in your career?

I was never a great ball handler (left handles are weak) and I've lost a few steps through all my knee/ankle injuries over the years but I've still dropped about 6 guys (dropped one of them 3 times in one game lol) up until the start of this season. This year alone I've dropped 3 guys. Feels damn good. :pimp:

You don't gotta be the quickest or the dude with the best handles to get em to drop.

Pushxx
01-29-2012, 12:25 AM
I'm not overly quick and my handles aren't too fancy. That said I live mostly off the crossover and spin move. They get me where I need to go.

I made someone fall last week with an in-and-out dribble where I never even switched the ball to my other hand. When the help came I passed it through his legs to his man for a dunk. Was nice.

JerrySteakhouse
01-29-2012, 01:52 AM
I'm not overly quick and my handles aren't too fancy. That said I live mostly off the crossover and spin move. They get me where I need to go.

I made someone fall last week with an in-and-out dribble where I never even switched the ball to my other hand. When the help came I passed it through his legs to his man for a dunk. Was nice.
Good shit, I live off of my jumpshot but when dudes like to play up tight I always get them vulnerable for an ankle break. Definitely gotta improve my handles a bit but I still got good enough handles to hang with the good PGs.

I really wish I never had so many injuries in my career, I use to be so much quicker/athletic. :(

NotYetGreat
01-29-2012, 01:57 AM
One - Myself. :oldlol: (seriously though)

I'm kinda like you, OP. I mainly live off my jumper. My handles aren't exactly PG-caliber (Yet. Gotta keep workin' :cheers: ) but once in a while I get to trick someone into going the opposite direction. I mainly get people on footwork/fakes though. Gotta love 'em. :oldlol:

Pushxx
01-29-2012, 11:17 AM
I used to just be just a shooter. Then I went a couple months where I forced myself to only drive and dish/finish whether I was playing a game or just shooting around. Really let my handles catch up to the rest of my game.

Being able to go left constantly helped too. I didn't realize how much people shade towards the dominant hand. Now I literally have an easier time getting by my man to the left.

People in pick-up are not that great at shuffling their feet on defense. The trick is to just always attack where they look off-balance. Look at where their feet are pointing and attack the opposite side.

Rake2204
01-29-2012, 04:14 PM
I don't have an exact number. I could probably count on one hand. Through the years, I've come to the realization that the players most likely to get their ankles broken are those playing very tough defense. My most memorable break was against a guy whose game I really respected. He definitely was a very solid defensive player. Since he was playing such tight defense, I was able to make him fall off of a jab step (with no contact). It was one of those situations where the fellow waddled backward looking to regain his balance before hitting the deck. I even missed the subsequent jumpshot, but I'd be lying if I said it still didn't feel pretty good.

C_lake2802
01-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Ive never dropped anyone to the floor. But i make people stumble all the time.

Go Getter
01-30-2012, 06:33 AM
I dropped plenty in my day most recently a few weeks ago at the rec. This one guy was posting up with tunnel vision so I snuck up on him and swiped the ball from him with an upward motion. the ball popped free and bouced by the freethrow line in-between me and a defender, I grabbed the ball in my right hand (palming it almost) and acted like I was going to go right with a lean then crossed over really quickly.

I never saw what happened, I just heard the reaction. I was already halfway into my layup motion when the guy yells, "I fouled him."

Turns out he got his knees buckled by that little move and not I can tease him everytime I see him out and about the city.

01amberfirewv
01-30-2012, 12:54 PM
I usually get one or two a game. It's funny because when I was younger I was a spot up or a set shooter and only played recreational basketball. Now I play with a bunch of guys who are probably more experienced than me and I get by on quickness. My best was probably a time when I got a rebound and headed down court with a defender right on me. He is a pretty aggressive defender and had stolen the ball from be a few times in the past. When we got to the three point line I stood up and went behind my back and he fell and slid to the foul line extended. I think I cause the most stumbles or falls though when I am kind of bouncing around back and forth and then cut. It sounds funny but I usually know how well I will play by the way my feet feel. On good days it feels like I am bouncing instead of stepping

Pushxx
01-30-2012, 02:33 PM
I usually get one or two a game. I think I cause the most stumbles or falls though when I am kind of bouncing around back and forth and then cut.

I find it hard to believe you make someone fall once or twice a game LOL

If so that's cool.

01amberfirewv
01-31-2012, 09:39 AM
I find it hard to believe you make someone fall once or twice a game LOL

If so that's cool.

Stumble, the falls don't come as often. I should add though that I am probably older than most of the guys on here and so are majority of the players I play with. Guys in their 30's that only play a few times a week seem to drop quicker than the high school players we play with lol.

Rake2204
02-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Stumble, the falls don't come as often. I should add though that I am probably older than most of the guys on here and so are majority of the players I play with. Guys in their 30's that only play a few times a week seem to drop quicker than the high school players we play with lol.
Yeah, I didn't want to be the guy who calls out the guy who says something, but your declaration definitely raised an eyebrow over here too. I think stumbling is a lot easier to come across. But even amongst 30 year olds, it's not as if they're suddenly subject to falling completely over every time a ballhandler makes a sharpe direction change.

01amberfirewv
02-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Yeah, I didn't want to be the guy who calls out the guy who says something, but your declaration definitely raised an eyebrow over here too. I think stumbling is a lot easier to come across. But even amongst 30 year olds, it's not as if they're suddenly subject to falling completely over every time a ballhandler makes a sharpe direction change.

Yeah, I guess ankle breakers is pretty broad. I usually consider it an ankle breaker if it gets a reaction from the other players. I'll be honest though, I love to dribble and probably do so too much and I do get a few turn overs a day but when it works it works.

JerrySteakhouse
02-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Yeah, I guess ankle breakers is pretty broad. I usually consider it an ankle breaker if it gets a reaction from the other players. I'll be honest though, I love to dribble and probably do so too much and I do get a few turn overs a day but when it works it works.
I clearly asked how many dudes you dropped. :lol

But I wouldn't be too surprised if you get a "reaction" from your defender every game.

Kiarip
02-05-2012, 07:42 PM
it's all about the shoulder and hip movement. The ball is secondary, you just gotta show 'em it. I've made people fall quite often without the ball tryina break free.

On the crossover one of the most underrated moves is the standard between the legs inside out, followed immediately by outside-in, something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmUyuvqCth8
at 6:42.

Just push your front foot up and lean forward a bit on the move, and you can sell it pretty well.

DUP
02-06-2012, 12:03 PM
I don't keep count, but I've got a few cats in my day

Ai2death
02-06-2012, 07:52 PM
I dropped to in the last 2 years of playing that I remember. I think there was a 3rd aswell. I've only be playing bball for 2 years so yeah ... But most memorable one. I just subbed in, playing in Adelaide in FASASA, some Filipino league. The ball was on the 45* at the 3pt line, I ran up to the top of the 3 to receive the pass. Once I caught it my defender who stayed back shuffled along to get on front of me, I threw a jab step in the direction that he was shuffling, he must've thought that I was going to drive cause he took a really quick step then he realized I didn't actually take off and I saw his reaction to try to shift back the other way and he just lost it, completely on the ground, I then just one stepped and passed the other direction. He never left me alone that game and I didn't even do anything :D lol

CeltsGarlic
02-27-2012, 09:48 AM
Ive had only couple in my life mostly because of my lack of confidense with my handles and being a spot up shooter.

My best one was with this crossover at the beginning http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCW8zgTdEM8&feature=related

Rake2204
04-09-2012, 03:11 PM
I did not drop him, but I wobbled my defender backward deep into the paint last week. It was one of those situations where I'd been fortunate enough throughout the game to penetrate ad nauseum. So when the time came where I thought my defender would be sitting on the dribble drive, I was able to execute an in-and-out to step back, leaving him backpedaling, crab walking and fighting himself to stay upright. Contrary to other nearly ankle breaking moves I've executed in the past, I was able to knock down the subsequent triple in this case.

Here is Tim Hardaway's dramatization of my move: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_kX6mQh8Yc#t=2m39s

Rake2204
04-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Had another moderate to severe "wobble" last night. It came against a gangly, slow-footed 6'6'' fellow, so maybe that only half counts but I did hit the step back triple, so that felt good. Either way, I'm having a hard time getting a defender to fall down altogether. It feels like I'm playing Jenga, where the guy is teetering and teetering but somehow remains upright. It also elicited an "Aw, he got 'em dancin'!" quip from another player on the floor.

EoJ
04-20-2012, 02:17 AM
My biggest fear on the bball court is this happening to me :oldlol: Saw it happen to some poor white guy once and he got laughed off the court.

CeltsGarlic
04-25-2012, 10:29 AM
Guess who finally did a legit ankle breaker?? ME! Me with my awful handles managed to do it! I was one on one with some noob who was slow and fouled a lot, I did a quick first step at around 3pt line, made a couple steps and did a step back between the legs and dude just fell on his a$$ :lol . What is more I even nailed the jumper after, even tho my mid jumper is average at best. Felt like a god damn hero after! Made 4 in a row 3s in that game too. One of the best days(basketball wise) in my life.

Lebron23
04-26-2012, 12:22 AM
Watch Prime Tim Hardaway and Prime Allen Iverson on youtube.

Rake2204
04-30-2012, 06:54 PM
My biggest fear on the bball court is this happening to me :oldlol: Saw it happen to some poor white guy once and he got laughed off the court.
Yeah, I'm a total hypocrite. I don't think it should be a big deal, yet I love when I'm able to pull it off (or to get a guy to wobble). The mob mentality reactions remain irritating to anyone who did not complete the action though. My friend had his foot stepped on by a ballhandler, leading to a fall, and people went wild despite his fall clearly not being a result of the cross. I sarcastically made fun of him afterword, but I acknowledged the lameness of it all.

Guess who finally did a legit ankle breaker?? ME! Me with my awful handles managed to do it! I was one on one with some noob who was slow and fouled a lot, I did a quick first step at around 3pt line, made a couple steps and did a step back between the legs and dude just fell on his a$$ :lol . What is more I even nailed the jumper after, even tho my mid jumper is average at best. Felt like a god damn hero after! Made 4 in a row 3s in that game too. One of the best days(basketball wise) in my life.
Nicely done. Always feels good to hit the subsequent shot.

JerrySteakhouse
09-15-2012, 09:10 PM
Haven't dropped a guy since I made this thread. Got two nice stumbles though.

CeltsGarlic
09-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Haven't dropped a guy since I made this thread. Got two nice stumbles though.
Me too. Back to realiy, I have to improve my handles, I cant make 5 possessions in a row as a PG without the ball hitting my leg or dropping in out of nowhere. I suck. At least the shot is as good as ever.

Dukem
11-01-2012, 02:41 PM
I figured i'd bump this thread up by saying that I have dropped two players and made a few others stumble. I predominantly use my right hand but I'm fairly average with my handles however i'm inconstant with my jumpshot. So here's the scene, I dropped the player (The first player I dropped) by using the crossover and it felt so good and I felt so proud that I shot a 3pt shot after I got the space that came from dropping him. My a$$ shouldn't shooting behind the arc and I obviously airballed the shot and so my teammates on and off the court went from going 'ohhhhhh' to 'you f*%

Rake2204
11-01-2012, 03:57 PM
[QUOTE=Dukem]I figured i'd bump this thread up by saying that I have dropped two players and made a few others stumble. I predominantly use my right hand but I'm fairly average with my handles however i'm inconstant with my jumpshot. So here's the scene, I dropped the player (The first player I dropped) by using the crossover and it felt so good and I felt so proud that I shot a 3pt shot after I got the space that came from dropping him. My a$$ shouldn't shooting behind the arc and I obviously airballed the shot and so my teammates on and off the court went from going 'ohhhhhh' to 'you f*%

Dukem
11-01-2012, 05:03 PM
And that is why, at one point during the And1 era, it became popular for some players to break an opponent's ankles then just throw the ball into the crowd, the epitome of lame. You did what you were supposed to. You could have easily copped out and just broken the dude off then punted the ball into traffic and walked home for the day with one triumphant fist in the air as you disappeared into the horizon. But you didn't, and I respect that.

Thanks bud. :cheers: Generally if I do something decent such as ankle breaking, i'll be like 'that move was great/amazing' and it can sometimes add to my confidence level and then I just resume playing as normal.

I did make a mistake in bricking the 3pt shot when there better options available though. The next time I caused the player to hit the deck, I dribbled into the space created and bounced passed it off to a wide open teammate in the low block for an easy two points.

Overdrive
11-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Was playing 2on2 with my friends and received the ball at the 3pt line. I hate to be the ball handler and my best friend checked me, who I usually cannot surprise, but this time it worked.

I faked a behind the back cross and put the ball through my legs from the right hand to the right hand. He thought I did a behind the back and shifted to my left side. I then initiated to do an ordinary cross to the left, but he was reacting to the first move and trying to get to my right sight. At that very moment I slapped the ball back with my right hand palm to the right instead of doing the cross to the left. He reacted to the cross though and fell on the floor to my left.
His defense was so out of sync with my moves. It looked so awkward. I never pulled off something like that and was quite surprised by myself. I hit the subsequent layup, so no bricking three for me.

CeltsGarlic
11-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Was playing 2on2 with my friends and received the ball at the 3pt line. I hate to be the ball handler and my best friend checked me, who I usually cannot surprise, but this time it worked.

I faked a behind the back cross and put the ball through my legs from the right hand to the right hand. He thought I did a behind the back and shifted to my left side. I then initiated to do an ordinary cross to the left, but he was reacting to the first move and trying to get to my right sight. At that very moment I slapped the ball back with my right hand palm to the right instead of doing the cross to the left. He reacted to the cross though and fell on the floor to my left.
His defense was so out of sync with my moves. It looked so awkward. I never pulled off something like that and was quite surprised by myself. I hit the subsequent layup, so no bricking three for me.

http://youtu.be/fetjzL8wlhQ?t=18s
You started with this? Sexy if made without carry.

Overdrive
11-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Yeah, but I only put it through my legs, from the right to the right without the fake where he totally carries the ball. Seen it on some CP3 mix, where he surprised his defender by that.

CeltsGarlic
11-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Yeah, but I only put it through my legs, from the right to the right without the fake where he totally carries the ball. Seen it on some CP3 mix, where he surprised his defender by that.

Shit, sounds nasty.

EDIT: Ahh I know what you talking about. Great move, often unnefective , but I guess you nailed it.