PDA

View Full Version : What are some unpopular NBA opinions you have?

NugzHeat3
01-30-2012, 09:44 PM
The ones that the majority would generally disagree with.

There's no need for a debate here or lashing out at somebody for something absurd but people can explain why they think that way.

I'll start with mine.

- Prime Penny was better than Hill. Probably not unpopular in the 90s but it is now it seems.

- Had Shaq and Wade not been injured in 2005, Heat would have won it all.

- Prime KJ was better than Stockton. It wasn't unpopular at the time but plenty will laugh at it because Stock's career and longevity sorts of overshadows his ability.

- Had the Bulls (with Jordan) and Rockets matched up in the 1994 and 1995, it would have been a heck of a series that could go either way.

- Chris Paul has the best ball handling kills of any player I have seen in the last 20 years. Incredibly smooth and efficient, makes great reads to break defenders down whether it's a quick change in direction or a series of dribbles, never loses his dribble in traffic and has a great understanding of creating space in general. He doesn't have that one deadly move that Tim or AI did but I think he's a better dribbler overall.

- Jordan could defend elite PGs better than either GP or Kidd could and it isn't that close. I rarely see his name when it comes to shutting those quick, speed demons down.

- KG at his best was better than either Barkley or Malone.

- Late 90s Heat underachieved despite the contrary belief because of their incredibly lame and slow style on offense. They could have been a lot better if they just increased the tempo given that they had the personnel to do so and tried creating turnovers with pressure. Instead, they had a poor set offense that got exposed in the playoffs with Zo being unable to be a worthwhile first option, stagnant offense with no ball movement, broken plays and forced shots due to the clock running down.

- GP

ILLsmak
01-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Shaq best big in NBA history, and one of the biggest impact players on defense because of the psychological factor.

AI is just as good if not better than Kobe.

-Smak

Bernie Nips
01-30-2012, 09:49 PM
Greg Oden will finally come good and be a force in the NBA.

MooseJuiceBowen
01-30-2012, 09:49 PM
Shaq best big in NBA history, and one of the biggest impact players on defense because of the psychological factor.

AI is just as good if not better than Kobe.

-Smak

shaq was a one trick pony. a one trick pony cant be the best big in NBA history when you have actual SKILLED big men to pick from. also shaq was AWFUL on d

stallionaire
01-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Rubio will be the best point guard in the league in a mater of years.

ILLsmak
01-30-2012, 09:53 PM
shaq was a one trick pony. a one trick pony cant be the best big in NBA history when you have actual SKILLED big men to pick from. also shaq was AWFUL on d

heh, go to basketball-reference.com and pick players that you think are good defensive big men. Then pick some of your favorite guys who score in the paint or, just aren't purely jump shooters.

Then, go head 2 head stats. Compare their head 2 heads. Shaq vs player x. player y vs player x.

Notice how much lower, on average, the fg% especially is vs Shaq. Defense isn't all about blocks, steals, and being agile. Just being Shaq and standing under the hoop is good D and he did so much more than that.

SKILL is such an overrated term. Results = skill. Who could bang with Shaq in NBA history? No one. Hakeem was admirable, but against a prime Shaq he would get shit on.

-Smak

SpecialQue
01-30-2012, 09:54 PM
I don't know how unpopular this is, but if the Lakers beat the Suns in the playoffs and faced the Clippers, the Lakers would have lost the hallway series.

From that same season, if the Spurs beat the Mavs and went on to face the Heat in the finals, the Spurs would easily win another championship.

Jotaro Durant
Mj is overrated and a lot of the bulls fans now on teh bandwagon r only fans because of what they heard he did...even tho alot are too yung to have watched

Yung D-Will
Ignore list you go for writing something borderline insane.

pmj
I think Malone was overrated... worse than Kg n Barkley, and I'd take Ewing n Drob over him too.

MooseJuiceBowen
heh, go to basketball-reference.com and pick players that you think are good defensive big men. Then pick some of your favorite guys who score in the paint or, just aren't purely jump shooters.

Then, go head 2 head stats. Compare their head 2 heads. Shaq vs player x. player y vs player x.

Notice how much lower, on average, the fg% especially is vs Shaq. Defense isn't all about blocks, steals, and being agile. Just being Shaq and standing under the hoop is good D and he did so much more than that.

SKILL is such an overrated term. Results = skill. Who could bang with Shaq in NBA history? No one. Hakeem was admirable, but against a prime Shaq he would get shit on.

-Smak

ill take skill and finesse ala duncan over pure athleticism anyday. duncan also played better defense had more offensive moves and was the better teamate and leader

you might have missed thet last TNT show where shaq himself admitted he played no defense lol

KDthunderup
01-30-2012, 09:55 PM
A player shouldn't be judged on the amount of rings he has.

NugzHeat3
01-30-2012, 09:56 PM
A player shouldn't be judged on the amount of rings he has.
Far from unpopular.

Burgz
01-30-2012, 09:59 PM
russell westbrook is overrated

and to the OP

tim hardaway ball handling> than CP3 but he IS very good i agree

fubu05
01-30-2012, 10:01 PM
My biggest one lately has been that Wade > Bron career wise so far. Personally that ring in '06, and that Finals performance, just puts him over Bron for me :confusedshrug:

AMISTILLILL
01-30-2012, 10:04 PM
Chris Webber was a top five PF of the last 20 years.

That 2000 Blazers team was better than some of those Lakers 3-peat teams; the only advantage LA had was coaching.

TaLvsCuaL
01-30-2012, 10:24 PM
I hate the Star system, stupid things like that the star player must be take the last shot instead of the player who is in a better position.

Tenchi Ryu
01-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Mj is overrated and a lot of the bulls fans now on teh bandwagon r only fans because of what they heard he did...even tho alot are too yung to have watchedYoutube and reruns take care of that

swi7ch
01-30-2012, 10:28 PM
* Grant Hill stopped being injured when he stopped wearing FILAs and switched to NIKEs.

* After 1,000 games (regular and post season), every player who has reached that milestone has statistically dropped the following year.

kells333
01-30-2012, 11:15 PM
- Russell westbrook is every bit as good as rose
- kobe is a better player than mj
- jordan would have been the most hated player all time if he lived in the internet age
- lebron would be the best TE ever if he stuck with football

Nevaeh
01-30-2012, 11:23 PM
- jordan would have been the most hated player all time if he lived in the internet age

Assuming he played exactly like he did and stayed out of the lime light like he did? I doubt it. He would be like Kevin Durant is now. It's the attention whores who are not as good as their fans want to believe they are who receive the hate.

305Baller
01-30-2012, 11:24 PM
Chamberlain was athletic.

ShaqAttack3234
01-30-2012, 11:25 PM
[QUOTE=NugzHeat3]
- Prime Penny was better than Hill. Probably not unpopular in the 90s but it is now it seems.

- Had Shaq and Wade not been injured in 2005, Heat would have won it all.

- Prime KJ was better than Stockton. It wasn't unpopular at the time but plenty will laugh at it because Stock's career and longevity sorts of overshadows his ability.

- Had the Bulls (with Jordan) and Rockets matched up in the 1994 and 1995, it would have been a heck of a series that could go either way.

- Chris Paul has the best ball handling kills of any player I have seen in the last 20 years. Incredibly smooth and efficient, makes great reads to break defenders down whether it's a quick change in direction or a series of dribbles, never loses his dribble in traffic and has a great understanding of creating space in general. He doesn't have that one deadly move that Tim or AI did but I think he's a better dribbler overall.

- Even though the team was starting to break down, Lakers probably 4-peat if that Horry three had fell down with game six @ home and the competition after was far from stellar.

- Mark Price I saw from 1992-1994 is underrated as hell and literally a Nash clone. Firstly, their defense is equally terrible. They

kells333
01-30-2012, 11:31 PM
Assuming he played exactly like he did and stayed out of the lime light like he did? I doubt it. He would be like Kevin Durant is now. It's the attention whores who are not as good as their fans want to believe they are who receive the hate.

I have always heard stories of him having huge gambling debts, having fist fights with teammates, not willing to take paycuts to help keep key players even though he was making 30 mil+, and there was even a rumor he had something to do with his dads death.

MichaelCheazley
01-30-2012, 11:31 PM
Monta ellis and Derrick Rose don't have that big of a gap between them.

Shaq is a greater player (all time scale) than Bird and Magic.

Reggie miller is overrated.

Eric Cartman
01-30-2012, 11:32 PM
I believe Ricky Rubio is a scrub in the NBA & was one in the Euroleague. Always get sh*ted on when i say it.

AngelEyes
01-30-2012, 11:32 PM

your opinions are shit

kells333
01-30-2012, 11:35 PM
your opinions are shit

Lol oh alright

Meticode
01-30-2012, 11:41 PM
your opinions are shit
Thanks for your contribution to the thread, which is pretty much nothing.

Burgz
01-30-2012, 11:43 PM

was about to say the same

AngelEyes
01-30-2012, 11:44 PM

Which is the same as your contribution to any thread. I'm not going to let someone say Lebron James would be the greatest tight end of all time and get away with it. That's a retarded comment. There's so much more to football than athleticism and to make such a proclamation is completely off base. I don't care if he was all state or not, we never even got to see him in college.

Zenji
01-30-2012, 11:45 PM
I believe Ricky Rubio is a scrub in the NBA & was one in the Euroleague. Always get sh*ted on when i say it.

If i could take a big sh*t and fling it through my laptop screen and onto your face right now i would.

Nevaeh
01-30-2012, 11:45 PM
I have always heard stories of him having huge gambling debts, having fist fights with teammates, not willing to take paycuts to help keep key players even though he was making 30 mil+, and there was even a rumor he had something to do with his dads death.

But he was winning championships as the best player in the league at the time too. Even during the 1st 3-peat when the Jordan Rules book came out, he came back and won 3 more championships and all of those stories were an afterthought. The "Dad's Death" thing is speculation at best. Does anybody even bring that up anymore? No, because it has nothing to do with the NBA.

Burgz
01-30-2012, 11:47 PM
Which is the same as your contribution to any thread. I'm not going to let someone say Lebron James would be the greatest tight end of all time and get away with it. That's a retarded comment. There's so much more to football than athleticism and to make such a proclamation is completely off base. I don't care if he was all state or not, we never even got to see him in college.

he was right to say what he said

it's called unpopular for a reason and you come on and say his opinion is shit?

while that may be so he stayed on topic, you didn't even try to add why you think so

and now you are judging Meticode for being a LeBron fan?

gtfo troll

32MJ32
01-30-2012, 11:49 PM
- The reason the Celtics fell out of contention in 2011 because Shaq got injured, not because Perkins got traded

- Even though Jeff Green fell ill, it turned out to be a good roll of the dice for the Celtics since Perkins has proven since that he's not worth anywhere near his contract

- Kendrick Perkins is the worst starting centre in the league, including Mozgov, Darko and anyone else you can name

- The Lakers should trade Gasol instead of Bynum

- The Clippers won't make it to the Conference Finals

- The Cavs will be a playoff team or thereabouts this year

AngelEyes
01-30-2012, 11:51 PM
he was right to say what he said

it's called unpopular for a reason and you come on and say his opinion is shit?

while that may be so he stayed on topic, you didn't even try to add why you think so

and now you are judging Meticode for being a LeBron fan?

gtfo troll

There's a difference between unpopular and completely unfounded and ludicrous. Saying a basketball player who played in highschool and never played on the college level would be the greatest ever at his position purely based on his athleticism is just idiotic.

jlip
01-30-2012, 11:54 PM

There's no need for a debate here or lashing out at somebody for something absurd but people can explain why they think that way.

From the OP

Burgz
01-30-2012, 11:55 PM
There's a difference between unpopular and completely unfounded and ludicrous. Saying a basketball player who played in highschool and never played on the college level would be the greatest ever at his position purely based on his athleticism is just idiotic.

so something unfounded and ludicrous can't be unpopular?

your first sentence is flawed, didnt read the rest, didnt really care

just stay on topic this is actually a good idea for a thread and you're hijacking it because of one comment

AngelEyes
01-30-2012, 11:57 PM
so something unfounded and ludicrous can't be unpopular?

your first sentence is flawed, didnt read the rest, didnt really care

just stay on topic this is actually a good idea for a thread and you're hijacking it because of one comment

I'm not hijacking shit. It could be a great idea if people took it seriously unlike yourself.

Kevin_Gamble
01-31-2012, 12:00 AM
Prime Stephon Marbury would be a top 3 PG today.

32Dayz
01-31-2012, 12:02 AM
Shaq is the GOAT Center and is the 2nd best player in NBA history after Jordan.

Shaq is one of the best defensive centers ever in terms of defensive impact over a career in the same class as Duncan/Kareem/Wilt etc... with only players like Hakeem or DRob being clearly more impactful on that end.

Jerry West is better then Kobe.

Gasol was only slightly less valuable then Kobe in the 2009 Finals.
His defense on Dwight + his 20/10/1.5BPG on 60% shooting is why.

Gasol was significantly more valuable then Kobe in 3/4 games the Lakers won in the 2010 Finals and thus deserved the FMVP.

Lebron will be a borderline Top 10 player with 1-2 great Finals performances.

Wilt is only the 3rd best Center ever after Shaq and Kareem.

Kobe is not a Top 5 All-Time Scorer.

Hakeem is/was a better Scorer then Kobe and is a Top 5 ATScorer.

00 Blazers were better then the early 00 Kings.

The difference in impact and value between Shaq and Kobe from 00-02 was around the same as the difference between Jordan and Pippen in the first and 2nd Chicago 3Peats.

:cheers:

Burgz
01-31-2012, 12:02 AM
-Tim Duncan is not the greatest PF ever

- Hakeem Olajuwon in his prime = just as good as any big man to ever play the game

- i'd take john stockton over karl malone any day of the week

- popovich > phil jackson (in terms of coaching, teaching, gameplanning but i will admit Phil is unparalleled in being able to coach superstars in making compromises for the team)

- allan houston is one of the greatest shooters of all time

Maniak
01-31-2012, 12:08 AM
- Kobe is overrated

..That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

kells333
01-31-2012, 12:11 AM

I dont see how it is so farfetched. I think with all his physical gifts hed be a great TE with proper coaching i dont see why he couldnt

Mr. Jabbar
01-31-2012, 12:11 AM
Nick Van excel is my fav Laker besides kobe after the magic era, thats right shaq fanbois, he is. :banana:

kells333
01-31-2012, 12:13 AM
Prime Stephon Marbury would be a top 3 PG today.

He wouldnt be better than rose paul williams or russell

Indian guy
LeBron's only about 80-85% the athlete he once was. He's fine in transition, but his half-court ability to penetrate and finish has been in the toilet as a Heat. Just doesn't have the acceleration and explosiveness anymore, which is shocking for a 27 year old. I can't even blame his weight anymore, because this season he looks about the same size as his last year as a Cavalier. The guy has simply declined. Which is why, despite whatever the numbers say, he's not the game's best. He's just too limited in the half-court, and it shows in crunch time when the game slows down and elite ability to create shots becomes a major necessity.

MJ's iso-handle was an issue for him in the 80's at times. It effected his shot creation. Non-small guys back then didn't break their defender down with a live dribble like everybody did from the mid-90's onwards. MJ did improve at this as his career went on, but still never had the modern handle down. Makes you wonder how much more dominant he would have been had he begun playing in the AND1 era.

Rose is the best player in the NBA.

Chicago was the best team Miami faced in the playoffs last season. They just completely gagged against Dallas.

AngelEyes
I dont see how it is so farfetched. I think with all his physical gifts hed be a great TE with proper coaching i dont see why he couldnt

He probably could be great, best ever is a stretch. I do apologize however for being an asshole and temporarily derailing the thread.

305Baller
01-31-2012, 12:14 AM
Prime Pippen was as effective as Jordan. He was a 1A.

Mr. Jabbar
01-31-2012, 12:14 AM
If before knowing the NBA they showed me a Larry Bird compilation I would have fall asleep and become a MLB or who knows what fan.

Kevin_Gamble
01-31-2012, 12:15 AM
He wouldnt be better than rose paul williams or russell

Rose, D-Will, and Marbury in the top 3.

ralph_i_el
01-31-2012, 12:16 AM

because it's just not true. 18/8/11 tonight? come on man:facepalm

Deuce Bigalow
01-31-2012, 12:16 AM
Prime Pippen was as effective as Jordan. He was a 1A.
If that's true then Pippen has to be at worst a top 10 player of alltime

305Baller
01-31-2012, 12:17 AM
If that's true then Pippen has to be at worst a top 10 player of alltime

I don't know if he has the stats to go that high.

32Dayz
01-31-2012, 12:17 AM
Nick Van excel is my fav Laker besides kobe after the magic era, thats right shaq fanbois, he is. :banana:

Thats cool, he was fun to watch and was a legitimately good player had alot of fans back in the day.

Ugh... however Van E. was soooo terrible in the late 90's playoffs, particularly in the series they got eliminated in.

A normal statline for him back then would be like 5-25 shooting, worse chucker then even young Kobe. :facepalm

BGriffin's Dad
01-31-2012, 12:18 AM
Blake Griffin will become the GOAT power forward by the end of his career.

Deuce Bigalow
01-31-2012, 12:19 AM
I don't know if he has the stats to go that high.
Jordan was putting up ~35/6/6 in 1st 3 peat, and ~32/5/4 in 2nd 3peat
Pippen was 1B to that you claim...

305Baller
01-31-2012, 12:20 AM
Jordan was putting up ~35/6/6 in 1st 3 peat, and ~32/5/4 in 2nd 3peat
Pippen was 1B to that you claim...

sorry, say again? I did not understand that.

Mr. Jabbar
01-31-2012, 12:22 AM
Thats cool, he was fun to watch and was a legitimately good player had alot of fans back in the day.

Ugh... however Van E. was soooo terrible in the late 90's playoffs, particularly in the series they got eliminated in.

A normal statline for him back then would be like 5-25 shooting, worse chucker then even young Kobe. :facepalm

He had those bad shooting games but ima fan of him because he still meant showtime. So talented, flashy and quick, would go for the highlight play and not the fundamental, provided entertainment like few, you don't see those type of players in todays nba no more.

BGriffin's Dad
01-31-2012, 12:23 AM
sorry, say again? I did not understand that.

he's saying that you said you thought pippen was as effective as jordan, and that it was a 1A 1B type situation... therefore, pippen's stats should be comparable to jordan's in that case

305Baller
01-31-2012, 12:25 AM
he's saying that you said you thought pippen was as effective as jordan, and that it was a 1A 1B type situation... therefore, pippen's stats should be comparable to jordan's in that case

yeah, I know what you mean. What are Pips numbers? He may have more assists and rebounds than Jordan. Jordan was the Primary scorer, Pips role was to play off Jordan so the stats wont be as high but Pippen was legit at the 3 line and his defense was better than Jordans.

They were a good balance.

32Dayz
01-31-2012, 12:26 AM
Pippen and Kobe were both side kicks but only because they were playing with arguably the two best players in NBA history (Prime Jordan & Peak Shaq)

However both were capable of being good #1 options.
Pippen proved it in 94 and Kobe proved it in 09.

Playoff PER

A's (Main Star) :
Shaq (00-02) : 29
Jordan (91-93 + 96-98) : 28.53

B's (Side-Kicks) :
Kobe (00-02) : 21
Pippen (91-93 + 96-98) : 19.5

Deuce Bigalow
01-31-2012, 12:29 AM
Pippen and Kobe were both side kicks but only because they were playing with arguably the two best players in NBA history (Prime Jordan & Peak Shaq)

However both were capable of being good #1 options.
Pippen proved it in 94 and Kobe proved it in 09.

Playoff PER

A's (Main Star) :
Shaq (00-02) : 29
Jordan (91-93 + 96-98) : 28.53

B's (Side-Kicks) :
Kobe (00-02) : 21
Pippen (91-93 + 96-98) : 19.5
Again, really? this is like the 105th time you posted this
cool story

KB was a clear sidekick
2001 and 2002
KB was 1B
Shaq
30/15/3
29/13/3
Kobe
29/7/6
27/6/5

32Dayz
01-31-2012, 12:33 AM
2000, 2001 and 2002
KB was a clear sidekick

Agreed. :applause:

Kobe was never even remotely close to having the same impact or value as 01 and 02 Shaq even at his absolute peak.

Damn homer. :facepalm

Faptastrophe
01-31-2012, 12:36 AM
For God's sake, let us sit upon the ground
And tell sad stories of the sidekicks of kings.

BGriffin's Dad
01-31-2012, 12:37 AM
Agreed. :applause:

Kobe was never even remotely close to having the same impact or value as 01 and 02 Shaq even at his absolute peak.

Damn homer. :facepalm

he's saying in 2000: Shaq=1 and Kobe=2 (sidekick)

and in 01 & 02: Shaq=1A and Kobe=1B

i dont think he's saying equal impact

32Dayz
01-31-2012, 12:40 AM
he's saying in 2000: Shaq=1 and Kobe=2 (sidekick)

and in 01 & 02: Shaq=1A and Kobe=1B

i dont think he's saying equal impact

Thats stupid though.

As scorers you could perhaps get away with saying 1A / 1B in 01 and 02 butin terms of impact and value to the team they were certainly 1... and then 2.

it really wasn't close at all.

Shaq was far and away the best player on those 01 and 02 LA Squads and was by far the main reason they won games and won the chips.

Kobe was the 2nd biggest reason but he really wasn't anywhere near Shaq.,

unless you really believe 01 and 02 Kobe are on par or are equal in value/impact to Peak Shaq.

but anyone who believes that is just.... :facepalm

TheFrozenOne
01-31-2012, 01:43 AM
Charles Barkley mental approach to the game his team is the reason he never won...his strong personality wears down his teams making them good at first...but eventually breaking them down to losers.

Michael Jordan was really close to becoming a baldheaded Dominique Wilkins...if Pippen never became a top 5 player of the 90's the Bull's would have never won anything.

Pippen's defense>MJ's

Kobe is the 2nd greatest player ever (most have him top 5 not #2)

Larry Bird is severely overrated.

D-Wade316
01-31-2012, 03:31 AM
Dirk > KG

Dr. J = top-10

Mikan = the most dominant player of all-time

Russell = GOAT

Bird is overrated

alenleomessi
01-31-2012, 03:35 AM
Bird is the 3rd greatest after Jordan and Kareem

Jan95
01-31-2012, 03:54 AM
Griffin is totally overrated.

Micku
01-31-2012, 04:17 AM
-Prime Kevin Johnson is better than Steve Nash and Derrick Rose

-Chauncey Billups is a good SG

-Tim Duncan is overrated in his longevity

-Heat 05> Heat 06

-Prime Kevin Mchale is strangely just as good as Barkley and K.Malone with better defense, but I don't see him leading a team since he couldn't do it without Bird

-Jason Kidd is overrated to me. Never impressed me as better than Gary Payton like some ppl think.

-Non championship teams are underrated as hell. Or they are never talked about, but some of them are really really good.

D-Wade316
01-31-2012, 04:20 AM

-Heat 05> Heat 06

-Prime Kevin Mchale is strangely just as good as Barkley and K.Malone with better defense, but I don't see him leading a team since he couldn't do it without Bird

-Jason Kidd is overrated to me. Never impressed me as better than Gary Payton like some ppl think.

-Non championship teams are underrated as hell. Or they are never talked about, but some of them are really really good.
I think that's true, and almost everyone would agree with you.

01-31-2012, 07:33 AM

The bolded part I agree with. I will go on as saying that Chris Paul is the most complete player on O and D in the league today. Of course Kobe stans, LBJ stans etc...will tell me I am trolling.

He is above average jump shooter from pulling up, catch and shoot, and his tear drop is one of the most effective and unstoppable. And on defense he is a threat for the steal and is pesky on his opponent.

East_Stone_Ya
01-31-2012, 08:06 AM
A.I was overrated

chips93
01-31-2012, 08:21 AM
- anderson varejao is the one of the most underrrated player in the league, he excels at everything taht typically gets ignored. he finishes well at the rim, just not in spectacular fashion, he is great on defense, but not highlight blocks, rather defending the pick and roll, as well as positional defense, hes not a bad passer, and he is a very smart player.

- kevin love is not a max contract guy. lots of empty stats, no defense. if hes your main guy, you wont ever be a contender.

- people put too much stock in a player's vertical, when determining their athleticism. there are plenty of good athletes, who just dont have hops, and dont get recognised as the good athletes that they are.

- bill russell is extremely overrated. he gets every break imaginable. anything taht cant be proven, is automatically given to him. people really claim that he allowed wilt to score on him early, just to build wilt's confidence, and lure him into a false sense of security!? that shit is ridiculous.

- stan van gundy is an elite coach

LockoutOver11
01-31-2012, 08:48 AM
- anderson varejao is the one of the most underrrated player in the league, he excels at everything taht typically gets ignored. he finishes well at the rim, just not in spectacular fashion, he is great on defense, but not highlight blocks, rather defending the pick and roll, as well as positional defense, hes not a bad passer, and he is a very smart player.

- kevin love is not a max contract guy. lots of empty stats, no defense. if hes your main guy, you wont ever be a contender.

- people put too much stock in a player's vertical, when determining their athleticism. there are plenty of good athletes, who just dont have hops, and dont get recognised as the good athletes that they are.

- bill russell is extremely overrated. he gets every break imaginable. anything taht cant be proven, is automatically given to him. people really claim that he allowed wilt to score on him early, just to build wilt's confidence, and lure him into a false sense of security!? that shit is ridiculous.

What the ****... why?

Qwertyazerty
01-31-2012, 09:38 AM
NBA is way too tolerant with doping. Show brings people to stadium and broadcasting, while dope brings a show out of human standards. Its all about bussiness

blablabla
01-31-2012, 09:40 AM
- Chris Paul has the best ball handling kills of any player I have seen in the last
that award goes to javaris crittenton

LiLharvard
01-31-2012, 10:28 AM
Paul Pierce is in the MVP race

Sakkreth
01-31-2012, 10:32 AM
You don't need to have "the man" to win championship.

SteveNashMVPcro
01-31-2012, 10:41 AM
Big O is overrated due to hi stats
Nash is the best offensive pg to ever play the game
Gortat is a top5 C in the NBA
Okc wont make it to the WCF

Kyle_korver
01-31-2012, 10:55 AM
Kyle Korver and Anthony marrow are two of the GOAT three point shooters

Russell Westbrook is gonna be finals MVP if thunder win a ring

Lone Laker
01-31-2012, 11:10 AM
Kendrick Perkins is overpaid and overrated. Last night, he had 2 points and 5 rebounds.

simcjt
01-31-2012, 11:15 AM

Only thing I disagree with

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-31-2012, 11:19 AM
Peak Hakeem (93-95) was better than peak Shaq, Wilt and every bit as good as Jabbar.

Scottie Pippen was the best all-around player during the '94 and 95 seasons

Eddie Jones would have been James Worthy 2.0 had Phil Jackson mentored him

Chris Paul is still better than Rose

Kobe is the most overrated player in history

Pursuer
01-31-2012, 12:02 PM
- were few people in this forum really know how to use statistics(especially the advanced ones) properly.
- rebounding isn't a significantly measurable skill when it comes to perimeter players.
- Can't =/= Doesn't (Melo can't play defense, Dirk can't rebound)
- Words overrated/underrated should be used in context. You can't just say people in this forum overrate player X. You don't even know if you're representing the whole forum's opinion, if you just seen 2 posters saying a common thing you don't like.
- Wade didn't single-handedly win '06 finals.
- Neither did Jordan(any finals).
- Neither will LeBron.
- Neither has Kobe.

OmniStrife
01-31-2012, 12:02 PM
Nash is better than Kidd.

SilkkTheShocker
01-31-2012, 12:47 PM
-Bill Russell wouldn't have nearly the same impact if he played in today's NBA
-While a top 10 player, Kobe is still the most overrated player in NBA history
-Alonzo Mourning is overrated.
-Lebron has been the best player in the NBA since 2006
-Shaq made a mistake demanding the Magic trade for Penny
-Kyrie Irving will be the best PG in the NBA in two seasons
-Nash has no excuse for never leading a team to the Finals
-Dirk over KG
-Duncan over Bird
-08 Celtics were overrated. Caught a break not having to deal with Bynum
-There isn't one player in NBA history that you could have replaced Lebron with and won a title on those Cavs teams

NugzHeat3
01-31-2012, 01:33 PM

-Heat 05> Heat 06

I would say majority of Heat fans would agree that the 2005 team at full health was better.

Also, I read that Nash being better than Kidd is unpopular. Far from it. It's debated a lot to the point where you'll never reach a consensus.

StateOfMind12
01-31-2012, 01:39 PM
-Patrick Ewing and David Robinson were both overrated

-The only season LeBron James was the best player in the league was '09-'10. He was not the best in '08-'09 or '10-'11.

-Vince Carter is above Tracy McGrady on my all-time list

-Hakeem Olajuwon had the greatest peak of all-time.

-Magic Johnson was the greatest offensive player of all-time.

-Larry Bird is an overrated clutch player (this isn't really an opinion, it's shown to be true especially in the post-season)

-Without clutch play, Reggie Miller would be a nobody.

-Paul Pierce was better than Tracy McGrady in every season except '02-'03.

Droid101
01-31-2012, 01:41 PM
Mad?

guy
01-31-2012, 02:01 PM
Phil Jackson is overrated.

Kobe Bryant is overrated, specifically in the clutch and the playoffs.

Deron Williams is arguably the most overrated player in the league.

There's more I'm sure.

NugzHeat3
01-31-2012, 02:12 PM
Few more I have.

- Karl Malone was truly a game changer on the defensive end depending on his match up. This is despite the fact that he wasn't an anchor. When he went up against guys like Shawn Kemp and especially David Robinson, he really bothered them and took them out of the offense making them pass up shots, bodying up and pushing them farther out, being physical and using that slap on the ball. He was playing pretty solid defense on Duncan too as a 40 year old in the playoffs.

- If the Heat had won last season, the majority wouldn't care about "The Decision" as much as they do now. That's the effect of winning.

- If Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady replace Iverson on the 2001 Sixers, they'd still make the finals. I'm talking about their 2001 selves when their heart, desire and all that wasn't questionable. Vince was a jumper away from beating that Sixer team with a worse supporting cast than AI had. I believe he could have gone to the finals. The East was terrible at the time.

- Patrick Ewing deserves more flack than he generally receives for the Knicks post-season losses, especially in 1994 and 1995.

- Chris Paul in his prime (2008-ish) was the best PG in the last 20 years.

- Brought up a couple of posts earlier and I agree. Reggie Miller is way too fondly remembered. Clutch but nowhere near the player he's made out to be. Larry Brown said Derrick McKey was the best player on Indiana in the mid 90s.

Doranku
01-31-2012, 02:32 PM
Kobe would be GOAT if he played in the '90s.

LeBron will never win a ring as the #1 option.

Kobe was just as valuable as Shaq in '01.

Shaq is the most overrated finals performer of all time due to the lack of competition that he faced at the Center position during the 3-peat.

AI was a glorified Monta Ellis and doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Kobe, TMac, Wade, etc.

Hakeem was a better player than Shaq and Duncan.

Oscar Robertson is the most overrated player in NBA history.

get these NETS
01-31-2012, 02:36 PM
Larry Brown is an EXCELLENT Xs and Os coach...but his ego and old school mentality ends up shooting him in the foot when it comes to coaching players.

Not a coincidence that he coached a team full of elite NBA pros who lost the Olympics....

So, point about derrick mckey being their best player can't be taken seriously....mckey was a very versatile player but no killer instinct, no toughness (remember him getting punked by mad max)

Brown underachieved as a coach with Drob also because of his ego and old school approach...

juju151111
01-31-2012, 02:38 PM
-Patrick Ewing and David Robinson were both overrated

-The only season LeBron James was the best player in the league was '09-'10. He was not the best in '08-'09 or '10-'11.

-Vince Carter is above Tracy McGrady on my all-time list

-Hakeem Olajuwon had the greatest peak of all-time.

-Magic Johnson was the greatest offensive player of all-time.

-Larry Bird is an overrated clutch player (this isn't really an opinion, it's shown to be true especially in the post-season)

-Without clutch play, Reggie Miller would be a nobody.

-Paul Pierce was better than Tracy McGrady in every season except '02-'03.
Two things
1.How was Hakeem peak the greatest ever?
2. How wasn't LJ the best player in 20009 his best year.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-31-2012, 02:44 PM
Kobe would be GOAT if he played in the '90s.

Agreed with everything except this. I get the feeling you're trying to sound extra controversial just for the sake of the thread.

NugzHeat3
01-31-2012, 02:53 PM
Larry Brown is an EXCELLENT Xs and Os coach...but his ego and old school mentality ends up shooting him in the foot when it comes to coaching players.

Not a coincidence that he coached a team full of elite NBA pros who lost the Olympics....

So, point about derrick mckey being their best player can't be taken seriously....mckey was a very versatile player but no killer instinct, no toughness (remember him getting punked by mad max)

Brown underachieved as a coach with Drob also because of his ego and old school approach...
Phil Jackson called McKey the best player on the team as well and some of their teammates said he was their most important player.

For the record, I'd agree that Brown's too stubborn as coach and it shows in the Olympics like you said.

He didn't adjust to the personnel he had and went with the same routine they used in the Americas tournament the year earlier despite having a totally different roster. He didn't give the young guys enough minutes, didn't realize there was no PG to lead the team or that the offense they were running wasn't working at all because Duncan sucked due to foul trouble and not having proper spacing on the floor.

And I don't think McKey was better than Miller. But that Pacer team was something where different guys could be the best on any given night especially if Miller was having an off night because Miller didn't do much that didn't show up on the stat sheet. He did somethings like he often set screens on offense as decoy, or still having pressure on the defense because they'd run him through so many screens but he wasn't really impactful when his shot was off. Incredibly one dimensional.

I remember that McKey/Mad Max moment (if this is the one you're talking about) where he ended up missing two FTs though Max missed a tough baseline jumper right after. A shame Houston lost that game because the refs made some terrible calls against them.

I'd agree he had little killer instinct and should have been more selfish. He had a lot more skills to score than his ppg would imply but often failed to assert himself.

Legends66NBA7
01-31-2012, 03:00 PM
-Kobe Bryant has become underrated.

-LeBron James is a good crunch time player.

-Karl Malone is the most overrated player in NBA History.

-Bill Russell is greatest center ever and the more I look into his career, he's the unquestionable G.O.A.T.

-Mitch Richmond is over Reggie Miller for me in all-time rankings.

-Bob Cousy is overrated.

-Dirk Nowtizki may end up as the 2nd best PF, to only Tim Duncan, when his career is over.

-Allen Iverson is a Top 10 guard (point and shooting guards) of all-time (I usually don't see him there).

-Dwyane Wade's clutch ability has been vastly overrated because of the 2006 Finals.

-1969 Lakers > 1972 Lakers

guy
01-31-2012, 03:05 PM
- Chris Paul in his prime (2008-ish) was the best PG in the last 20 years.

Agree with this. People thinking this is a stupid claim is a perfect example of how some are hesitant to give current players there due.

get these NETS
01-31-2012, 03:17 PM
Phil Jackson called McKey the best player on the team as well and some of their teammates said he was their most important player.

For the record, I'd agree that Brown's too stubborn as coach and it shows in the Olympics like you said.

He didn't adjust to the personnel he had and went with the same routine they used in the Americas tournament the year earlier despite having a totally different roster. He didn't give the young guys enough minutes, didn't realize there was no PG to lead the team or that the offense they were running wasn't working at all because Duncan sucked due to foul trouble and not having proper spacing on the floor.

And I don't think McKey was better than Miller. But that Pacer team was something where different guys could be the best on any given night especially if Miller was having an off night because Miller didn't do much that didn't show up on the stat sheet. He did somethings like he often set screens on offense as decoy, or still having pressure on the defense because they'd run him through so many screens but he wasn't really impactful when his shot was off. Incredibly one dimensional.

I remember that McKey/Mad Max moment (if this is the one you're talking about) where he ended up missing two FTs though Max missed a tough baseline jumper right after. A shame Houston lost that game because the refs made some terrible calls against them.

I'd agree he had little killer instinct and should have been more selfish. He had a lot more skills to score than his ppg would imply but often failed to assert himself.

McKey was a mismatch against almost anybody...on offense or defense...If I recall 6'11" player with legit small forward skills dribble,pass,shoot,post...with enough quickness to decently cover some 1s-2s

sort of a precursor to KG..or a bigger less potent version of Pippen

just vanished when it counted most

and yep.....that's the same mad max incident....Mckey is shooting free throws...max walks up to him...says something to him..intimidates him..and he misses both free throws

as far as Brown....think it's a bit funny that the 2 coaches who have lost with pros were from UNC....and the Duke guy is the one who wins

rule1223
01-31-2012, 03:17 PM
-jordan without nike, top 3 at best
-kobe is the GOAT
-dirk is the best pf of all time
-rondo is the second best pg in the game right now
-bill russel in todays game=prime ben wallace
-wilt stats reduced by about 35% is equivalent to what he would average in modern day
-kobe and shaq greatest duo of all time

knickswin
01-31-2012, 03:43 PM
--Carmelo Anthony is a top 5 player, and his team right now is as poorly built as I've ever seen a superstar have to play on in his prime (maybe lakers '05 is worse)

--Kevin Durant is overrated because he draws much less defensive attention than most other superstars. doesn't break down the defense.

--Dirk is 2nd best power forward of all time

--Ewing > Malone

--Mike D'Antoni's system can win a championship with the right personnel, and he should coach the Clippers next season

--Andrea Bargnani could be a second option on a contender

--KG is a great player, but gets too much of a pass for his lack of playoff success in Minny, and he wasn't dominant enough in either the post or the perimeter to be main scorer on championship team.

--Paul Pierce was the best player on the 2008 Celtics

--Chris Paul is an overrated passer who doesn't make enough interior passes

RRR3
01-31-2012, 03:46 PM
*Bill Russell is comically overrated. Argue all you want about his rings, leadership, and intangibles there is no way you can tell me he was a better player than Jordan, Wilt or Kareem. He gets all the credit for that dynasty and others such as hondo and Sam jones get none. I know Russ was the best player on the celtics but IMO no other player gets so much credit for what his team did.
*If he had better work ethic and did not have injuries throughout his career, Tracy mcgrady had the ability to be as good as Jordan.
*Amare Stoudemire is (generally) a better player than Carmelo Anthony
*Oscar Robertson is underrated

Also, @doranku,
Kobe did play in the 90's. He was Eddie jones' backup and was most known for shooting 4 straight airballs in the playoffs.

knickswin
01-31-2012, 03:48 PM
*Bill Russell is comically overrated. Argue all you want about his rings, leadership, and intangibles there is no way you can tell me he was a better player than Jordan, Wilt or Kareem. He gets all the credit for that dynasty and others such as hondo and Sam jones get none. I know Russ was the best player on the celtics but IMO no other player gets so much credit for what his team did.
*If he had better work ethic and did not have injuries throughout his career, Tracy mcgrady had the ability to be as good as Jordan.

Also, @doranku,
Kobe did play in the 90's. He was Eddie jones' backup and was most known for shooting 4 straight airballs in the playoffs.

this Amar'e > Carmelo business is straight agenda driven nonsense. Amar'e isn't even in the same zip code as Carmelo. I don't know if you've watched Amar'e lately without his point guard feeding him, but he is horrible.

Scholar
01-31-2012, 04:21 PM
Here are some of mine:

- LeBron could've gone down as one of the GOAT had he stuck it out in Cleveland, even if he never won a ring there. Now no matter how many rings he wins with Miami, it won't place him anywhere in the top 10 imo.

- Ricky Rubio can turn into a Steve Nash-like player within the next few seasons, but if he improves his defense, he'll surpass Nash as a PG.

- Deron Williams was good in Utah. Now if anyone thinks he's a top PG in the league, then he is being overrated beyond belief.

- Allen Iverson will always be one of the GOAT scorers imo. Even if his efficiency wasn't great, the guy could ball out of control and score on practically anyone.

- Kobe Bryant's 2005-06 season was the GOAT individual season by any player who isn't named Michael Jordan. 81 points in one game, 62 points to outscore the (soon-to-be at the time) Western Conference champs Dallas Mavericks in 3 quarters, 40 ppg average in the month of January, etc., etc. I don't think anyone will ever come close to what Kobe did that season, and he definitely should've won the NBA Season MVP back then.

- In past decade, the only season where Kobe wasn't the best player in the league was 2002-03. That year belonged to T-Mac. Maybe 2009-10, too, because LeBron was playing phenomenally.

- DWade is > LeBron on the Miami Heat.

- Gilbert Arenas could've been a top NBA player had he not ****ed his career up.

- Jerry Stackhouse is a disappointment. He was dropping 29 ppg for one season and then fell off the face of the NBA map.

And lastly,

- Phil Jackson is the GOAT coach, but with the players he had playing for him, it's no surprise he won 11 championships. I think almost anyone could've done what Phil did with the same players, as long as they had defense on their minds as well, which means D'Antoni probably wouldn't have managed shit.

Scholar
01-31-2012, 04:28 PM
Also, one more thing worth adding:

If Shaq & Kobe had worked out their differences and continued playing side-by-side, they could've easily won another 3 rings in a row, if not more!

Just think about it for a second.

Their best competition at the time were the Spurs & Pistons. Other than them, nobody could hold a stick against the Lakers.
LeBron was still playing in Cleveland, DWade would've been playing with an aging Alonzo Mourning, T-Mac was proving to be just as injury prone as Grant Hill, Yao Ming & Steve Francis weren't much of a duo, VC was still in Toronto, Kidd & Jefferson's duo wasn't working out too well in New Jersey, Allen Iverson was still playing for a scrubby 76ers squad, the Nuggets would've still had only Carmelo Anthony on the team, the Knicks sucked, KG was in Minny, Ray Ray was in Seattle, Pierce was all alone with the Celtics, Dirk wasn't going to be much of a threat with the Mavericks, & assuming that the Suns eventually would've had Stoudemire, Nash & Marion on the same roster, they still couldn't play defense to save their lives, etc., etc.
No real competition for the Lakers throughout the mid-2000s, to be honest.

REACTION
01-31-2012, 04:31 PM
- Kobe Bryant's 2005-06 season was the GOAT individual season by any player who isn't named Michael Jordan. 81 points in one game, 62 points to outscore the (soon-to-be at the time) Western Conference champs Dallas Mavericks in 3 quarters, 40 ppg average in the month of January, etc., etc. I don't think anyone will ever come close to what Kobe did that season, and he definitely should've won the NBA Season MVP back then.

/signed :applause:

StateOfMind12
01-31-2012, 04:34 PM
Two things
1.How was Hakeem peak the greatest ever?
2. How wasn't LJ the best player in 20009 his best year.
1. It's my opinion but I do think it is up there and was better than MJ's, Shaq's, and Wilt's. MJ's and Shaq's prime were far better than Hakeem's though and there is a difference between prime and peak.

2. Because I think Kobe was better that season. LeBron as an individual player was at his best in 2010, not 2009. Honestly, if LeBron didn't quit in that Boston series he would have been the undisputed best player in the league but then again LeBron probably would have won a ring with Cleveland that season if he didn't quit. There is a reason why LeBron was practically the unanimous MVP that season.

Whoah10115
01-31-2012, 04:39 PM
Gilbert Arenas is the greatest stat-padder of the decade. Playing in the Eastern Conference, mid-decade, always with 2 other all-stars and the same team for 3 years, the Wizards won no more than 45 games and did it his first season, when he averaged 25+PPG. Then his average reached 29.3 and they dropped to 42 wins. After a strong start to the next season, came a terrible drop off and his team ended up with 41 wins (please) and he got his ass handed to him by Lebron and company.

Probably an ideal 6th man...but for sure, nothing resembling a score first PG or score first combo guard...an out and out SG and completely overrated. He has more All-NBA teams than Ray Allen? Horrendous.

Legends66NBA7
01-31-2012, 04:41 PM

Also, @doranku,

Offcourse, this is all your opinion, but I don't agree with the Russell one at all (just me though; we can PM about it sometime).

Agree with the rest, maybe not so much T-Mac, but their dead on.

I think Doranku was talking about prime Kobe, not 18 year old Kobe. Although, I most remember him back then for being the youngest to ever play in all-star game.

But yeah, he wouldn't be GOAT with Jordan around, not even close.

niko
01-31-2012, 04:48 PM
-Lebron would be on his way to being in a reasonable discussion on GOAT if he remained in Cleveland or went to a team without Wade. Being on the team with Wade and the last playoff crash and burn made that possiblity leave 100%.
-Howard is going to LA eventually for Bynum.
-Duncan is vastly underrated, his teammates vastly overrated.
-The Knicks can revamp their roster and coach situation enough to be competitive this year and a contender next year and 2 years beyond.

HurricaneKid
01-31-2012, 04:54 PM
Kobe Bryant has NEVER been the best player in the league.

Wilt is criminally underrated. He dominated Russell. The record for Reb in a game is owned by Wilt. 55. He played against Russell that day.

KAJ is criminally underrated.

Patrick Ewing had the most disappointing NBA career imaginable. He was arguably near GOAT college player. He was a far worse choker than anyone in today's game.

I think it lessens the game that end of qtr misses count in box scores. You would see a LOT of heroic looking bombs if it didn't hurt the player shooting them.

StateOfMind12
01-31-2012, 04:58 PM
- In past decade, the only season where Kobe wasn't the best player in the league was 2002-03. That year belonged to T-Mac. Maybe 2009-10, too, because LeBron was playing phenomenally.shit.
What about '04-'05 when Kobe couldn't even get his team to the playoffs?

- DWade is > LeBron on the Miami Heat.
I'm with you on this although I say Wade > LeBron in the post-season but LeBron > Wade in the regular season. I am not sure if that is unpopular opinion though because I think a lot of people think the same. It's unpopular to believe Wade overall is better than LeBron overall though.

Here are few more that I have

-Stockton is overrated because of his longevity and how he was the "textbook" PG. He is still a top 5 PG of all-time but he wasn't as great as many say he was.

-Shaq is above Wilt in my all-time list. Shaq had a better 2-3 stretch ('00-'02) than Wilt ever did. Shaq was also the more dominant and consistent post-season performer than Wilt was and that is why I have Shaq above Wilt in my all-time list.

-Carmelo Anthony should have been the ROY instead of LeBron James (not sure if its unpopular though because it has been said many times)

-All-NBA teams are worth almost absolutely nothing to greatness.

-LeBron is the most overrated playmaker/passer/facilitator of all-time.

- Chris Paul in his prime (2008-ish) was the best PG in the last 20 years. .I agree with this. I think jrong was the first poster to bring that up. I never thought about that before and I would have to agree with that statement.

Whoah10115
01-31-2012, 04:59 PM

Reggie was a GREAT scorer. His scoring was low on the Pacers due to the fact that he was the ultimate screens guy. In 1989-90 he scored 24.2PPG on almost 52% shooting, over 41% from 3, and like 88% from the FT line.

And even more than being a screens guy, Larry Brown does go out of his way to play team ball. But in the playoffs, Miller's PPG averages are crazy. When you needed him. He carried them many years.

Deuce Bigalow
01-31-2012, 05:24 PM
Kobe Bryant has NEVER been the best player in the league.

Wilt is criminally underrated. He dominated Russell. The record for Reb in a game is owned by Wilt. 55. He played against Russell that day.

KAJ is criminally underrated.

Patrick Ewing had the most disappointing NBA career imaginable. He was arguably near GOAT college player. He was a far worse choker than anyone in today's game.

I think it lessens the game that end of qtr misses count in box scores. You would see a LOT of heroic looking bombs if it didn't hurt the player shooting them.
I love his one :lol
every player, gm, coach, ect says he was the best, but internet poster's opinion >

StateOfMind12
01-31-2012, 05:26 PM
every player, gm, coach, ect says he was the best, but internet poster's opinion >
The thread title and the OP asks to state unpopular NBA opinions you have. That is a pretty unpopular opinion so he is just doing what the OP asked him to do. It is unpopular because you aren't going to find many people other than lunatic LeBron fans that will believe and agree with that statement. It is his opinion though and it is definitely unpopular.

kumquat
01-31-2012, 05:44 PM

To all of them :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Yung D-Will
01-31-2012, 05:51 PM
Chris Paul's 08 season was overreated ( I wouldn't take that season over seasons guys like Payton,Stockton,Nash and Kidd have had unless you're talking strickly statisticly.)

Carlos Boozer has and will always be the most overreated pf in the leauge.

A healthy grizzlies team can beat any team in the west in a series.

kumquat
01-31-2012, 06:00 PM
- Phil Jackson is the GOAT coach, but with the players he had playing for him, it's no surprise he won 11 championships. I think almost anyone could've done what Phil did with the same players, as long as they had defense on their minds as well, which means D'Antoni probably wouldn't have managed shit.

Mike Brown has made me realize how great a coach Phil Jackson was.

NugzHeat3
01-31-2012, 07:04 PM
Reggie was a GREAT scorer. His scoring was low on the Pacers due to the fact that he was the ultimate screens guy. In 1989-90 he scored 24.2PPG on almost 52% shooting, over 41% from 3, and like 88% from the FT line.

And even more than being a screens guy, Larry Brown does go out of his way to play team ball. But in the playoffs, Miller's PPG averages are crazy. When you needed him. He carried them many years.
He's too limited for my taste.

I don't think Brown held him back, either. I think it's more due to the fact that Miller could only succeed in the particular offense and Brown knew his strengths and weaknesses.

He was good in the playoffs and just used to get in the zone but he's far from what I'd consider great.

He's really a shooter that benefits from how good his shot is since it opened the game for him because of how much respect you had to give him and how tightly you had to play him. He was also very smart at drawing fouls whether off-ball (cause he got caught up at times and often got under his defender's skin) or leaning in on the jumper trying to create contact with the defender. He never really drew fouls like Wade or AI do for instance when they break the defense down with dribble penetration and create contact in the paint. He had his fair share of fouls drawn via penetrations but those were right after he'd come off the screen and lost his defender allowing him to drive. He was also notorious flopping whether kicking his leg out on jumpers or exaggerating at minimal contact.

Dale and Antonio Davis deserve a lot of credit for those screens they used to set because they really allowed him to flourish though they used to benefit from Miller too. When he'd come off the curl, a baseline screen, a double screen, they'd try sending another guy at him and that's how he mainly used to get assists. He'd pass to the screener (usually Dale or Antonio) coming right off the screen and they'd slip in for easy buckets.

I'd consider him a great scorer if he had a better first step or a creative handle or even a low-post game which he didn't. He had the size but not the strength/weight to do so.

There's too many instances in the playoffs for me to really say he's a great scorer.

Games like game seven vs Orlando where he couldn't get open and Larry Brown said this after that game:

"I know people are going to say Reggie didn't do this or that, but I've always said it's a team thing for him," said Brown. "He has trouble getting his own shot, beating people off the dribble. He's not what people make him out to be."
http://www.nytimes.com/1995/06/05/sports/sports-of-the-times-magic-is-simply-better-in-talent-and-ratings.html?pagewanted=2&src=pm

Or game seven vs the Bulls in 1998 where Miller couldn't get free off Jordan in the 4th quarter, didn't score a single point and got one shot off which was an air ball and saw the Pacers blow a lead.

Game two vs the Knicks in 1993. Starks shut him down in the second half not allowing him to get open and get shots off. Miller only had one field goal in the fourth and the last 20 minutes or so. Game four vs the Knicks in 1993, he had 30 points through three quarters but scored 3 points the rest of the way (4th quarter and OT combined) partly due to Starks really fighting through screens, sticking with him and partly due to exhaustion I'm sure.

Game six vs the Knicks in 1994. He has 12 points in the 4th but couldn't score late in the stretch where his ability to create his own shot came into play. Indiana was held without a field goal in the last 5 minutes. He wasn't that great in game seven either and had a stretch late in the game where he missed six shots in a row then finally made a bif three. But he also air balled a potential game tying shot and got called for a bogus flagrant right after.

When they finally beat the Knicks in 1995, he scored 0 in the 4th in game seven and it was Rik Smits who carried them in the 4th though he did benefit from the focus on Miller. Brown and Miller said Smits carried the team and was the MVP.

A disciplined defender that really focused on shutting him down, fighting through screens and not getting caught up in the mind games could really take him out of the game. He's just too limited as a scorer for my liking.

A guy that used to up his game in the playoffs and had some legendary streaks but can't call him a great one.

Micku
01-31-2012, 09:28 PM
I dunno how unpopular it is or not, but it's my opinion.

-Ron Artest and Ben Wallace totally changed the way the NBA looks, feel, and rules because of the brawl they had in 04. No more contact anymore because of that brawl

- NBA is too sensitive with fights and physical play because they're afraid the NBA would look "thuggish"

NugzHeat3
01-31-2012, 10:14 PM
I dunno how unpopular it is or not, but it's my opinion.

-Ron Artest and Ben Wallace totally changed the way the NBA looks, feel, and rules because of the brawl they had in 04. No more contact anymore because of that brawl

- NBA is too sensitive with fights and physical play because they're afraid the NBA would look "thuggish"
I'd agree but I'd say that's a pretty wide spread opinion.

AngelEyes
01-31-2012, 10:17 PM
To all of them :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

agreed

jbryan1984
01-31-2012, 10:30 PM
Reggie Miller not being a first ballet Hall Of Famer in 2011 was the biggest joke I have ever seen in anything concerning basketball.

The 2009 Cavaliers were good. The 2010 ones were better. They should had won the title both years and LeBron did not have a bad cast.

Shaquille O'Neal is the man. In my mind, he is not a top 5 center he is the GOAT center.

Anderson Varejao is very, very, very underrated.

Mike Brown is a good coach.

Penny Hardaway was a superstar and its unfortunate that injuries prevent this generation from knowing that.

Delonte West is underrated and unappreciated. I think Boston and Dallas fans would agree with me?

Somebody needs to give Allen Iverson one more chance.

CAstill
01-31-2012, 10:36 PM
The top of all time is :
1. Jordan
2. Kobe
3. Wilt
4. Larry
5. Shaq

Shawn Kemp in 96 on his best day is the most unstopable player ever
and would of had the greatest playoff run in history had he won the finals.
Beating Richmond, Hakeem, Malone, and Jordan on the way to the chip and fmvp would of done wonders for his legacy.

Kobe only had to take backseat to Shaq because he was younger.
You plug any player in the league onto that laker team other than Kobe
and every Laker team possibiltiy losses to the Kings(Jordan not included). That's why Kobe is considered the best by his stans. Any reasonable fan knew the Kings had Shaqs number everytime. Ask any Kings fan that was there, Shaq could score 50 for all they cared the Lakers would still lose everytime. Kobe killed them and ripped their hearts out in the way and time that he scored. So while Shaq could have 35 points in the game on 60%
with 15 rebounds that meant nothing during crunch time when he couldn't hit a free throw in a super intense moments or drill a shot when he was getting bodied by Vlade or picking up offensive fouls becuase Vlade was the king of getting away with flops. Making Shaq useless because he stayed in foul trouble and created turn overs. Beating the Kings was the only thing that mattered and Kobe was the only player in the world who could do it. Sac still loves to hate Kobe till this day and is the reason the Kings don't have a chip in their history.

Prime Vince>>>Prime Tmac

They say there never has been a person as big, fast, and strong as Lebron who could jump out the gym and attack the rim as well as he could, yeah there has his name was Shawn Kemp in 96.

Prime Barkley>>>Prime Lebron

Gasol was the reason the Lakers lost in 08.
If Bynum was present the Lakers probably would of won as well.

Kobe's assist to Artest's late 3 in Game 7 of the 2010 finals was the real reason the Lakers won, not Kobe's 15 boards and definitely not Gasol's play.

Tony Parker was by far the Finals MVP(yes i know he won the FMVP) and the Playoff MVP in 07 and Duncan stans try there hardest to discredit that fact saying it goes further than stats when in reality sometimes it does but tony situation isn't that case. Tony really did kill everyone and was unstopable at points.

He Got Game is a good movie!

Ben Wallace was the real Pistons MVP.

Robert Horry should be a HOF'er and in his prime makes a great 2nd option on a team and could be paired with an alpha player and bring home a chip with a good supporting cast. He was not just some glorified role player. Big Shot Bob had game.

Rik Smiths was a good player.

Jason Terry is the most underrated 2nd team option ever on a championship team. The guy Tatt'd him being the next champ on his arm before the season, swagged on everybody and delivered a ring in the end while hitting clutch J's in the face of Lebron in the finals. Props! And i hate him too.

The Garbage Man was garbage in the playoffs.

Jeff Hornacek was the most underrated SG ever. He should at least be
Manu status but he isn't, probably because he has no rings compared to him but when can you do when you face jordan?

Kobe and Jordan are the only players ever to be able to do anything on the court while having the best defender playing at their peak on them and still not being able to stop them. Kobe and Jordan in their prime could D up any player in history except for themselves.

There's more but we'll see how this goes lol.

HurricaneKid
01-31-2012, 10:44 PM

Its an unpopular opinion. So be it. Kobe would be hands down the player of the 21st century. Not disputing that at all. But there was no single year where he was the best player. I actually do believe that. I think he still throws childish tantrums.

Here is another one: half the officials including almost all of the guys whose names you know, should be kicked out of the league. Its despicable that Crawford still has a job and I assume it is because he has information detrimental to the league.

"The Mavs have a 2-16 record in playoff games officiated by Crawford, including 16 losses in the last 17 games. Dallas is 48-41 in the rest of their playoff games during the ownership tenure of Mark Cuban, who has been fined millions of dollars in the last 11 years for publicly complaining about officiating. The Mavs have been called for 2.3 fouls per game more than their opponents in playoff games officiated by Crawford, compared to a nearly even foul differential in their other playoff games since 2001. Dallas has averaged 6.8 fewer free throws than their opponents in playoff games Crawford has worked. Opponents have an edge in free throw differential in the rest of the Mavs' playoff games, but it's only by a little more than one attempt per game."

Disgraced referee Tim Donaghy has claimed on ESPN Radio that Crawford is "proud" of the Mavericks' record under his officiating

Deuce Bigalow
01-31-2012, 10:47 PM
"The Mavs have a 2-16 record in playoff games officiated by Crawford, including 16 losses in the last 17 games. Dallas is 48-41 in the rest of their playoff games during the ownership tenure of Mark Cuban, who has been fined millions of dollars in the last 11 years for publicly complaining about officiating. The Mavs have been called for 2.3 fouls per game more than their opponents in playoff games officiated by Crawford, compared to a nearly even foul differential in their other playoff games since 2001. Dallas has averaged 6.8 fewer free throws than their opponents in playoff games Crawford has worked. Opponents have an edge in free throw differential in the rest of the Mavs' playoff games, but it's only by a little more than one attempt per game."

Disgraced referee Tim Donaghy has claimed on ESPN Radio that Crawford is "proud" of the Mavericks' record under his officiating
I got to admit, I laughed

Brickz187
01-31-2012, 10:55 PM
Almost everyone in most peoples top 5 is overrated due to their rings. Most don't care who THEY like, their list just has to look as close to everyone else. Just my opinion though.

blacknapalm
02-01-2012, 07:42 AM
- oscar robertson is overrated. everyone wants to tout the triple double line but when you adjust for pace, his numbers look much less impressive. he didn't develop a solid jumper until late in his career and didn't take it into another gear in the playoffs that legends are expected to do. he was an athletic and skilled guard in a time where mostly bigs were the athletic and skilled ones. all-time great, but i can't cosign on a top 12 ranking. maybe a top 15 ranking.

- kobe and AI had one of the best individual skillets ever. it didn't always translate to impact on the court, but when those guys were on, they were among the best. question their decision making but never their heart

- at his peak, bill walton was the best center ever. shaq may have been more dominant, but the way walton commanded double teams, passed out, reposted, used his jumper and played defense (esp help defense) was almost second to none. he was also a great passer out of the high post. because of that, he was basically a major secondary playmaker. he even had good lateral quickness and could defend the pick n' roll. he practically had almost no flaw in his game. he could take over games on consecutive plays and in multiple ways. injuries killed his career but hopefully folks don't forget the player that he was

- if he stayed healthy, penny would have been a top 25 player of all-time. he had a complete offensive game: stepback J, crossover, fadeaway, up and unders, baby hook shots, pull up J, could come off screens, etc. he was just polished and a competitor. he was no slouch on D. he was essentially a PG in a SG's body with potent skills

- this one is a bit of a confession. c-webb is one of my fav players to watch ever. he was so smooth and heady. however, the perception that he was a choker is mostly truly. he did choke in playoff moments and at the very least he didn't kick his game into a higher gear. a lot of that was mental and webber never seemed to get over some huge misses and TO's. he was a regular season beast but just not that clutch. i know people think he's unfairly labeled in that regard, but going back and watching his games, he did miss a few opportunities. had big games too, but can't discount those others

- melo is the most overrated player in today's league (thought that for years)