PDA

View Full Version : Iverson or Nowitzki?

Bernie Nips
01-30-2012, 11:44 PM
I know they don't have much in common, but they're both definitely scorers first and foremost, with that being their primary weapon, and ultimate first options.

Now that Dirk has won a ring and a Finals MVP, I have no doubt that most people would rank him above Iverson on the all time list, due to "career accomplishments" and the ring rule.

But taking rings and "career" out of it...

...who is the better player?

Meticode
01-30-2012, 11:46 PM
Nowitzki

AMISTILLILL
01-30-2012, 11:47 PM
I trust Dirk's ability to lead a team over AI. I choose Dirk.

AngelEyes
01-30-2012, 11:55 PM
I know they don't have much in common, but they're both definitely scorers first and foremost, with that being their primary weapon, and ultimate first options.

Now that Dirk has won a ring and a Finals MVP, I have no doubt that most people would rank him above Iverson on the all time list, due to "career accomplishments" and the ring rule.

...who is the better player?

I'll take Nowitzki because of his longevity and consistency. I also think he has had a greater impact on games.

k0kakw0rld
01-30-2012, 11:57 PM
A.I all day everyday

Bernie Nips
01-31-2012, 01:50 AM
People forget that Iverson led a team that probably wasn't Finals-worthy to the Finals in 01, only to be stopped by a prime Shaq and a breakout Kobe. He's also won 4 scoring titles.

Individually, I think I might give it to Iverson.

StateOfMind12
01-31-2012, 01:54 AM
People forget that Iverson led a team that probably wasn't Finals-worthy to the Finals in 01, only to be stopped by a prime Shaq and a breakout Kobe. He's also won 4 scoring titles.

You just said not to factor in rings, accomplishments, career, etc. and now you factor that in for Iverson? :oldlol: Fail.

brahmabull117
01-31-2012, 01:55 AM
People saying Allen Iverson are smoking crack cocaine

Career True Shooting Percentage

Allen Iverson - .518
Dirk Nowitzki - .582

enough said

Zenji
01-31-2012, 01:59 AM
Dirk.

Faptastrophe
01-31-2012, 02:00 AM
It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is Iverson.

Bernie Nips
01-31-2012, 02:06 AM
You just said not to factor in rings, accomplishments, career, etc. and now you factor that in for Iverson? :oldlol: Fail.

Hey stalker buddy!

I was replying to someone who said I'll take Dirk's leadership. Well, Allen Iverson LED a team to the Finals. I brought up the scoring title thing simply because it shows he was the best scorer in the league 4 times. It's not a career thing, it's a comparison thing. Dirk has never been the best scorer in the league, Iverson has.

But play again some time, it was lovely to hear from you!

Bernie Nips
01-31-2012, 02:08 AM

Allen Iverson - .518
Dirk Nowitzki - .582

enough said

Career PPG averages:

Allen Iverson - 26.7ppg
Dirk Nowitzki - 22.9ppg

Apparently having a better TS% = better player. It doesn't matter if you score significantly less, it just matters that your TS% is better.

brahmabull117
01-31-2012, 02:08 AM
Hey stalker buddy!

I was replying to someone who said I'll take Dirk's leadership. Well, Allen Iverson LED a team to the Finals. I brought up the scoring title thing simply because it shows he was the best scorer in the league 4 times. It's not a career thing, it's a comparison thing. Dirk has never been the best scorer in the league, Iverson has.

Dirk would score 30-35 points per game if he took as many shots as Iverson used to take

Bernie Nips
01-31-2012, 02:09 AM
Dirk would score 30-35 points per game if he took as many shots as Iverson used to take

And if my aunty had a dick, my uncle probably wouldn't have married her.

brahmabull117
01-31-2012, 02:10 AM
Career PPG averages:

Allen Iverson - 26.7ppg
Dirk Nowitzki - 22.9ppg

Apparently having a better TS% = better player. It doesn't matter if you score significantly less, it just matters that your TS% is better.

Efficiency>>>Volume scoring when the volume scoring is as close as that is (only 4 points per game difference)

Sarcastic

Allen Iverson - .518
Dirk Nowitzki - .582

enough said

One is a guard, and the other is a power forward.

Kurosawa0
Dirk and it's not really close.

Scholar
If I were building a team, I'd take Dirk because he's a 7'0" PF who can shoot from anywhere on the court, and though his defensive ability isn't much, he still plays decent defense. His offense is simply outstanding.

If I'm just choosing between the two as a fan and nothing more, meaning I won't get anything out of it besides picking which player I'd prefer watching, I'll go with A.I. The guy was definitely a scoring threat, even if he did need to take 25+ shots to reach 30 points at times. Iverson was definitely entertaining to watch, and because he's only a few inches taller than me, he made me feel like I could relate to him. Maybe that's something stupid to say, but when I watched the Answer play, I wanted to go outside and try to perfect my game as well.

AMISTILLILL
01-31-2012, 02:11 AM
Hey stalker buddy!

AI led a team to the Finals once (in a weak eastern conference), Dirk did it twice. What's your point?

StateOfMind12
Hey stalker buddy!

I was replying to someone who said I'll take Dirk's leadership. Well, Allen Iverson LED a team to the Finals.
Dirk led his team to the Finals in 2006 with no all-star and won a championship in 2011 with no all-stars.

I brought up the scoring title thing simply because it shows he was the best scorer in the league 4 times. It's not a career thing, it's a comparison thing. Dirk has never been the best scorer in the league, Iverson has.

Dirk was the best scorer in the league last season, so no.

Iverson loses pretty much no matter what in this comparison.

brahmabull117

the point is about who was the most effective player

I'd take a guy who can score 23 on 17 shots a game over a guy who scores 26 but has to take 22 or 23 shots

cteach111

you make it sound like actually getting to the Finals was a cakewalk for the Sixers. They fought bigtime to get there.

If Iverson was a more effective scorer, it wouldn't have been so difficult imo.

Bernie Nips
01-31-2012, 02:12 AM
AI led a team to the Finals once (in a weak eastern conference), Dirk did it twice. What's your point?

Dirk also led a 1st seed, 67-win team to get knocked out of the playoffs first round against the 8th seed...

...what's your point?

I'm not saying Iverson's a better leader than Dirk, I'm just saying he's not a shitty leader.

brahmabull117
01-31-2012, 02:13 AM
One is a guard, and the other is a power forward.

Your point??

Derrick Rose has a better true shooting percentage this year than Blake Griffin or even pau gasol

StateOfMind12
01-31-2012, 02:14 AM
Dirk also led a 1st seed, 67-win team to get knocked out of the playoffs first round against the 8th seed...

...what's your point?

I'm not saying Iverson's a better leader than Dirk, I'm just saying he's not a shitty leader.
Interesting, and Iverson failed to lead his team to the playoffs entirely in the '05-'06 season.

I am pretty sure leading your team to 67 wins and getting knocked out in the first round is better than missing the playoffs entirely especially in the weak East.

Bernie Nips
01-31-2012, 02:16 AM
the point is about who was the most effective player

I'd take a guy who can score 23 on 17 shots a game over a guy who scores 26 but has to take 22 or 23 shots

Well if we're going peak vs peak, I'd take the guy getting me 30ppg + anywhere between 6 and 8 assists per game.

If you love efficiency, then you'd love big men. Efficiency isn't the be all and end all. Karl Malone was more efficient than Kobe Bryant... I guess Karl Malone is the better player?

Bernie Nips
01-31-2012, 02:16 AM
Interesting, and Iverson failed to lead his team to the playoffs entirely in the '05-'06 season.

I am pretty sure leading your team to 67 wins and getting knocked out in the first round is better than missing the playoffs entirely especially in the weak East.

Wow are people focussing on the wrong goddamn things his thread. I'm not saying he's a better leader than Dirk? Should I put it in bold? Is reading comprehension at an all time low? I was just saying Allen Iverson has been a good leader in his own right, holy shit.

AMISTILLILL
01-31-2012, 02:17 AM

...what's your point?

What the hell does that have to do with anything? Does getting kicked out by an 8th seed team somehow subtract one of those Finals appearances? Jesus.

Your whole thread was supposed to be based on things other than playoffs and rings, yet you're the one who used those things to validate Iverson in this discussion. Anyone who picks Iverson in this situation has fetal alcohol syndrome. Iverson was a one dimensional volume scorer with suspect motivation when things weren't going well with his team.

brahmabull117
01-31-2012, 02:18 AM
Well if we're going peak vs peak, I'd take the guy getting me 30ppg + anywhere between 6 and 8 assists per game.

If you love efficiency, then you'd love big men. Efficiency isn't the be all and end all. Karl Malone was more efficient than Kobe Bryant... I guess Karl Malone is the better player?

Kobe Bryant's career TS % isn't too far removed from Nowitzki's (55.6 vs 58)

Iverson is massively overrated in my view. Dude was a chucker who is one of the least efficient superstars in the history of the league

I would take about 20-25 players over Iverson in a heartbeat

StateOfMind12
Yeah, how was Iverson's efficiency? Cause Dirk's efficiency was pretty good. 90/50/40, 60+ TS%, etc. What else do you want? Who is the best scorer in the NBA right now? Kobe Bryant or LeBron James? I guarantee you will say LeBron and you are pretty much a hypocrite if you do think that and think Iverson was a better scorer than Dirk at the same time.

That is funny seeing that you were trying to argue something similar with Lebron and Kobe a few weeks ago. It's not comparable though since Kobe was far more clutch and a better post-season performer at everything specifically scoring.

Sarcastic
Your point??

Derrick Rose has a better true shooting percentage this year than Blake Griffin or even pau gasol

That's the exception not the rule. For the most part, front court players will shoot better than back court players.

Derrick Rose TS% is not higher than Gasol according to www.basketball-reference.com btw.

AMISTILLILL
01-31-2012, 02:19 AM
Mods should delete this thread. :facepalm

Bernie Nips
01-31-2012, 02:19 AM
What the hell does that have to do with anything? Does getting kicked out by an 8th seed team somehow subtract one of those Finals appearances? Jesus.

Your whole thread was supposed to be based on things other than playoffs and rings, yet you're the one who used those things to validate Iverson in this discussion. Anyone who picks Iverson in this situation has fetal alcohol syndrome. Iverson was a one dimensional volume scorer with suspect motivation when things weren't going well with his team.

:facepalm

Read the thread. Go on, go back, from the start. Who brought up "leadership". Was it me? I don't think it was me. Did I ever say "don't base it on playoffs"? I don't think I did, quote me if you like!

Did I respond to someone who brought up "leadership"? Why, why yes I did! Wow! Did everyone else decide to focus on that instead of anything else I brought up? HOLY POTATOES BATMAN! THEY DID!

But you keep arguing over something that I'm not even trying to argue if it makes you feel funny in the pants!

Meticode
01-31-2012, 02:22 AM

brahmabull117
01-31-2012, 02:22 AM
That's the exception not the rule. For the most part, front court players will shoot better than back court players.

Derrick Rose TS% is not higher than Gasol according to www.basketball-reference.com btw.

I realize that but the difference shouldn't be so incredibly drastic

Kobe's 55.6 to Dirk's 58 is reasonable, 51 to 58 is not reasonable for a fair comparison

Bernie Nips
01-31-2012, 02:23 AM
Yeah, how was Iverson's efficiency? Cause Dirk's efficiency was pretty good. 90/50/40, 60+ TS%, etc. What else do you want? Who is the best scorer in the NBA right now? Kobe Bryant or LeBron James? I guarantee you will say LeBron and you are pretty much a hypocrite if you do think that and think Iverson was a better scorer than Dirk at the same time.

That is funny seeing that you were trying to argue something similar with Lebron and Kobe a few weeks ago. It's not comparable though since Kobe was far more clutch and a better post-season performer at everything specifically scoring.

Bringing LeBron into a discussion that has nothing to do with him? There's your trademark!

I'm not trying to argue anything you think I'm trying to argue. This is all I've said:

- Iverson was a better scorer than Dirk. Dirk may be more efficient, but that's not everything to a scorer. As you would agree - otherwise you'd be saying LeBron was a better scorer than Kobe, because they're scoring at roughly the same clip, but LeBron's efficiency is insanely higher than Kobe's. So do we agree that efficiency isn't everything?

- Iverson wasn't a shitty leader. I'm not saying he was a better leader than Dirk, I'm just saying he wasn't a shitty leader. That's all. I used his 01 Finals run to emphasise the point.

That's all I've tried to argue in this thread, but everyone else latches on to other things that I really couldn't give a toss about.

Bernie Nips
01-31-2012, 02:24 AM

:applause:

Well done on doing the exact same thing every other numbnut has done... you didn't read the thread!

I WAS RESPONDING TO SOMEONE. Read my posts. Read my explanation as to why I mentioned those things. It wasn't because I was saying Iverson's career accomplishments are more... it was to say that Iverson was the best scorer in the league, something which Dirk has never been able to say.

AMISTILLILL
01-31-2012, 02:25 AM
:facepalm

Read the thread. Go on, go back, from the start. Who brought up "leadership". Was it me? I don't think it was me. Did I ever say "don't base it on playoffs"? I don't think I did, quote me if you like!

Did I respond to someone who brought up "leadership"? Why, why yes I did! Wow! Did everyone else decide to focus on that instead of anything else I brought up? HOLY POTATOES BATMAN! THEY DID!

But you keep arguing over something that I'm not even trying to argue if it makes you feel funny in the pants!

You said take "rings and career out of it". What does a player strive for? Highlight reel plays but no playoff berths? No championship aspirations? A big stage to gain exposure so they can get a movie deal?

You made a ridiculous thread and you're just butt hurt about it because a) people called you out on it and b) you broke your own lame rules and conjured up Finals appearances anyway. You might as well have asked, "who's the better player: Shaq or Kwame?" The choice there is about as obvious as the choice between Dirk and Iverson.

Yes, give me the guy who throws fits over practice and doesn't even play in the league anymore over the reigning NBA champion, please.

Sarcastic
01-31-2012, 02:26 AM
I realize that but the difference shouldn't be so incredibly drastic

Kobe's 55.6 to Dirk's 58 is reasonable, 51 to 58 is not reasonable for a fair comparison

Iverson is 51.8, which is basically 52.

True Iverson shot a low percentage, but he is also about a foot shorter.

I am not saying Iverson is better, but the question isn't so off it can't be debated.

StateOfMind12
01-31-2012, 02:27 AM
Iverson is 51.8, which is basically 52.

True Iverson shot a low percentage, but he is also about a foot shorter.

I am not saying Iverson is better, but the question isn't so off it can't be debated.
If the argument is about who is better pound for pound then you would have a point but it isn't so you don't have a point.

Meticode
01-31-2012, 02:28 AM

Well done on doing the exact same thing every other numbnut has done... you didn't read the thread!

I WAS RESPONDING TO SOMEONE. Read my posts. Read my explanation as to why I mentioned those things. It wasn't because I was saying Iverson's career accomplishments are more... it was to say that Iverson was the best scorer in the league, something which Dirk has never been able to say.
I've read the whole thread up to your last post I'm quoting without skimming.

But you said not to bring it up, but you brought it up anyway. Whether it's in a reponse to someone or not you just typed to not bring that type of stuff up, but you did anyway to defend Iverson.

To be honest you're coming off offended that so many people are picking Dirk. It's just the vibe I'm getting and that could not be the case at all. In any case I see your true colors with remarks like numbnuts, assuming I didn't read the thread and contradicting something you typed out yourself.

Bernie Nips
01-31-2012, 02:30 AM
You said take "rings and career out of it". What does a player strive for? Highlight reel plays but no playoff berths? No championship aspirations? A big stage to gain exposure so they can get a movie deal?

You made a ridiculous thread and you're just butt hurt about it because a) people called you out on it and b) you broke your own lame rules and conjured up Finals appearances anyway. You might as well have asked, "who's the better player: Shaq or Kwame?" The choice there is about as obvious as the choice between Dirk and Iverson.

Yes, give me the guy who throws fits over practice and doesn't even play in the league anymore over the reigning NBA champion, please.

Some insanely talented players are left with crappy teams their whole career, which is all I was saying. If you gave them both crappy teams, who is the better player? I choose Iverson. It's as simple as that. Other people brought up other factors, I used things that actually happened to explain why I thought a certain way about the subject. Everyone else over-complicated the thread, not me.

If you think Dirk because he was more efficient, that's fine. I don't give a shit. I disagree, but good for you, I'm happy you feel that way.

But to come into the thread specifically to get your rocks off by trying to point out flaws in what I've said (going against my "own lame rules") instead of actually making an argument for the subject at hand, you're pretty sad dude. I'm sure you can find something better to do with your time.

Sarcastic
01-31-2012, 02:30 AM
If the argument is about who is better pound for pound then you would have a point but it isn't so you don't have a point.

I was not saying he is better. I was pointing out the flaw in bringing up their shooting percentages as a reason why one is better than the other.

My original post was about 1 being a guard and the other a power forward.

Bernie Nips
01-31-2012, 02:31 AM

But you said not to bring it up, but you brought it up anyway. Whether it's in a reponse to someone or not you just typed to not bring that type of stuff up, but you did anyway to defend Iverson.

To be honest you're coming off offended that so many people are picking Dirk. It's just the vibe I'm getting and that could not be the case at all. In any case I see your true colors with remarks like numbnuts, assuming I didn't read the thread and contradicting something you typed out yourself.

Read my previous post. You didn't add to the thread, you just came in trying to point out flaws in my posting. I couldn't give a shit if people pick Dirk.

AMISTILLILL
01-31-2012, 02:31 AM

Meticode
01-31-2012, 02:32 AM
I'll chose Dirk thinking about it more. Iverson was a great player, but his attitude turned me off on the type of player he was. He had that heart and drive to win, but he was selfish at the same time saying things to the effect of, "How is me practicing going to make my team mates better?"

AMISTILLILL
01-31-2012, 02:34 AM
Some insanely talented players are left with crappy teams their whole career, which is all I was saying. If you gave them both crappy teams, who is the better player? I choose Iverson. It's as simple as that. Other people brought up other factors, I used things that actually happened to explain why I thought a certain way about the subject. Everyone else over-complicated the thread, not me.

If you think Dirk because he was more efficient, that's fine. I don't give a shit. I disagree, but good for you, I'm happy you feel that way.

But to come into the thread specifically to get your rocks off by trying to point out flaws in what I've said (going against my "own lame rules") instead of actually making an argument for the subject at hand, you're pretty sad dude. I'm sure you can find something better to do with your time.

:oldlol: What the hell are you talking about, nerd? I was literally one of the first people to reply to your original post in the first place. Quit huffing fumes.

Meticode
01-31-2012, 02:34 AM
Read my previous post. You didn't add to the thread, you just came in trying to point out flaws in my posting. I couldn't give a shit if people pick Dirk.
This makes no sense at all. If you don't care if people are picking Dirk then why do you make arguments for Iverson? I have no problem with this, but you're totally contradicting everything you're saying. You don't want to mention careers, yet you do. You don't care if people pick Dirk, but you argue why you picked Iverson.

If you didn't care if people picked Dirk then why in the hell does this thread exist in the first place then? Kind of pointless isn't it?

kenny817
01-31-2012, 02:40 AM
Easily Dirkules

And I'm probably Allen Iverson's biggest fan

Meticode
01-31-2012, 02:42 AM
And I'm probably Allen Iverson's biggest fan
I don't believe this one bit.

Collie
01-31-2012, 02:42 AM
Take into account the absolutely massive mismatch Dirk presents to his defenders. That alone is worth much more than the 4 ppg or so average AI has over Dirk. Add the fact that you actually had to pair AI with a big PG with good defense and that Dirk could work with any teammates, and it's Dirk all day.

kenny817
01-31-2012, 02:43 AM
I don't believe this one bit.

Why not? I love Iverson...always have always will

Meticode
01-31-2012, 02:45 AM
Why not? I love Iverson...always have always will
Not saying you don't love him, but I don't think you're his biggest fan. If you don't weigh 540 pounds then you're not his biggest fan.

kenny817
01-31-2012, 02:46 AM
Not saying you don't love him, but I don't think you're his biggest fan. If you don't weigh 540 pounds then you're not his biggest fan.

577...just got on the hollywood diet tho

kilgore.
01-31-2012, 02:56 AM
as great as the aura around iverson was in early 2000s and how he overachieved based on his size level and showed us the peak of what a player like him(undersized shooting guard with scrub teammates) can achieve, Dirk is the better player and it's not even close.

Nowitzness81
01-31-2012, 03:09 AM
The one who doesn't suck at shooting.

kentatm
01-31-2012, 03:09 AM
Dirk and its not close for several reasons

he is one of the biggest mismatches in the game and this makes it much easier for other players to get good shots.

he is a much better team player

he understands the value of practice

his better efficiency, size, and shooting ability makes it more likely he can make the shots in the clutch

brisbaneman
01-31-2012, 03:10 AM
Obviously Dirk. Dirk was better in his 3rd season than Iverson was at his prime.

Nowitzness81
01-31-2012, 03:19 AM
Dirk has always been an 8+ rebounds guy, too, and the last 3-4 years has turned into a great passer.

D-Wade316
01-31-2012, 03:40 AM
Dirk. Not even close.

TrueRob
01-31-2012, 03:54 AM
They're both very skilled but I think Iverson has a bigger skillset. Dirk is the more dominant player though. But, a lot of that has to due with the fact that's he's 7ft. I don't think people understand how skilled you have to be to do what Iverson did at his size. And it's not like he was a freak athlete either. As for who's the better player, that would be Dirk; his size makes him a better basketball player than Iverson.

francesco totti
01-31-2012, 09:25 AM
People keep bringing fg % to undermine both kobe & AI.
Truth is, if other players start jacking up shots like kobe & AI do, there percentages would be much much worse.
Both Kobe & AI take tough shots, make tough shots...

People keep making it out to be u take more shots u keep ur same fg %, its quite wrong.U take more shots ur percentage will go worse.

ILLsmak
01-31-2012, 09:56 AM

lol, probably?

I'm saying Iverson. Iverson, as I have said... IS A MONSTER.

-Smak

Xiao Yao You
01-31-2012, 10:55 AM
The all-timer Dirk over the gunner AI. Not even close.

32Dayz
01-31-2012, 11:17 AM
Kobe's TS% before 05 (sissy handcheck rules) was .515 and that was playing with Prime Shaq.

Truth is his efficiency before hand checking would have been around the same as Iversons if he hadn't gotten to play as Peak Shaqs sidekick.

DMAVS41
01-31-2012, 11:39 AM
I find it interesting that in comparisons like this people always seem to use regular season numbers. I'm curious as to why....with great players like Dirk and Iverson....the regular season just doesn't matter all that much to me. We know they are elite players that can get you to the playoffs with average teams around them and can win close to 60 or more with good teams around them.

I want to look at what these guys have done in the playoffs. And as far as TS goes. I don't think it represents Iverson fairly. Iverson is a player that was simply better than his efficiency numbers go. However....if you are going to compare them solely statistically. I'd use playoff numbers weighted more heavily:

Dirk

26/10/3 58.4% TS

Iverson

30/4/6 48.9% TS

Stringer Bell
12-10-2013, 06:22 AM
Dirk

riseagainst
12-10-2013, 07:52 AM
Kobe's TS% before 05 (sissy handcheck rules) was .515 and that was playing with Prime Shaq.

Truth is his efficiency before hand checking would have been around the same as Iversons if he hadn't gotten to play as Peak Shaqs sidekick.

:biggums:

good thing this guy is banned.

To4
12-10-2013, 07:58 AM
Dirk!!!!!!!!!!!

kshutts1
12-10-2013, 08:15 AM
Dirk
How many pages of ISH threads did you have to go through to find this one? Why did you do that? Why bump such a train wreck of a thread?

kshutts1
12-10-2013, 08:16 AM
They're both very skilled but I think Iverson has a bigger skillset. Dirk is the more dominant player though. But, a lot of that has to due with the fact that's he's 7ft. I don't think people understand how skilled you have to be to do what Iverson did at his size. And it's not like he was a freak athlete either. As for who's the better player, that would be Dirk; his size makes him a better basketball player than Iverson.
And this is such a bad statement that I need to call you out on it nearly 2 years later.

WTF? Iverson is one of the best athletes that has ever been in the league.

joeyjoejoe
12-10-2013, 09:10 AM
Dirk by miles, Iverson is overrated as hell

BoutPractice
12-10-2013, 10:25 AM
I'm biased in several ways. I have a lot of admiration for Iverson no matter what experts say about him - what he was able to do at his size is just amazing - but Dirk is my favourite player.

Dirk clearly has the better career, and ultimately I think he's the better player in that what he does is more game changing (the mismatch completely reconfigures the defense just because he's on the court) and he's more effective at it. It also translates better to different contexts. But a lot of it has to do with the fact that he's 6-10.

Xiao Yao You
12-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Dirk

Stringer Bell
01-09-2014, 07:38 AM
Dirk

Breezy
01-09-2014, 08:03 AM
Is there any argument for Iverson? Pretty sure every Gm in the league would draft Dirk first. All of the advanced stats favor him and he's done a lot more with crappy teams than Iverson ever did.

joeyjoejoe
01-09-2014, 08:07 AM
Dirk by light years, is this a joke

JohnFreeman
01-09-2014, 08:07 AM
Nowitzki. Better question is maybe Garnett or Nowitzki.

Breezy
01-09-2014, 08:22 AM

I say it's a push. Garnett is to defense what Dirk is to offense.

Maybe a slight edge to Dirk because he's such a mismatch for every team, but I really think that on the right team where garnett could've just been more of a defensive anchor and not have to be the entire team he could've won 4-5 titles.

Harison
01-09-2014, 10:34 AM
Its easier to build around Dirk, and IMO he has more impact on the team. AI had more drive and will though, relentless player. Dirk sometimes looks... disinterested.

Harison
01-09-2014, 10:37 AM
Nope, thats even easier question. Two-way elite superstar or one way elite superstar? No GM in NBA would pick Dirk over KG.

AI vs Dirk has way more merit, since both are primarily offensive players.

JohnFreeman
01-09-2014, 10:43 AM
I say it's a push. Garnett is to defense what Dirk is to offense.

Maybe a slight edge to Dirk because he's such a mismatch for every team, but I really think that on the right team where garnett could've just been more of a defensive anchor and not have to be the entire team he could've won 4-5 titles.

Well if that 08 Boston team was a bit younger they would probably have a few more chips. I think Dirk get's the nod since he won a ring as the man.

Bandito
01-09-2014, 11:04 AM
As much as I love Iverson I will put Dirk over him, ring or not. He is just as great as scorer as AI except he is 7 feet tall. Not a knock on AI btw...

f0und
01-09-2014, 11:13 AM

lets be honest. there werent any teams from the east that was Finals-worthy.

dirk and its not even close.

-better teammate on the court
-better teammate off the court
-smarter ball player
-can fit into any system whereas AI has to have a certain team set up to match his playing style

SilkkTheShocker
01-09-2014, 11:22 AM
Dirk and it's not even close. Anyone that said Iverson should be banned.

chocolatethunder
01-09-2014, 11:23 AM

I always laugh when I hear this. I am a Philly fan but that team was an awesome team defensively, it was coached by one of he greatest coaches in the history of the game and featured not only the sixth man of the year but also the DPOY. Did iverson have to score a lot? Yes, because that was his role and that was the best way to use him. Larry Brown recognized this and built a team around him. That was an excellent TEAM just like Larry Browns Pistons who won a title. Everyone had their role and played it. I assure you that without the rest of the team playing awesome D, that team would've gone nowhere. And of course without Iverson scoring a bunch, they would have gone nowhere. That's what being a team is all about. So please stop with the "Iverson took a bunch of scrubs to the finals". All that says about you is that you don't know anything about basketball.

SpanishACB
01-09-2014, 12:38 PM

Nice demagogy...

PF's and C's are usually more efficient because they take close to the basket looks.

Dirk takes contested shots all over the court just like Iverson did. It's a fair comparison.

moe94
01-09-2014, 01:08 PM
I always laugh when I hear this. I am a Philly fan but that team was an awesome team defensively, it was coached by one of he greatest coaches in the history of the game and featured not only the sixth man of the year but also the DPOY. Did iverson have to score a lot? Yes, because that was his role and that was the best way to use him. Larry Brown recognized this and built a team around him. That was an excellent TEAM just like Larry Browns Pistons who won a title. Everyone had their role and played it. I assure you that without the rest of the team playing awesome D, that team would've gone nowhere. And of course without Iverson scoring a bunch, they would have gone nowhere. That's what being a team is all about. So please stop with the "Iverson took a bunch of scrubs to the finals". All that says about you is that you don't know anything about basketball.

Best post in this thread.

Bigsmoke
01-09-2014, 01:09 PM
Dirk better

TheBigVeto
01-09-2014, 10:27 PM
Dirk.

TheMarkMadsen
01-09-2014, 10:29 PM
What was the answer to this before 2011?

I love Dirk but his lack of defense and rim protecting always draws me back

same with Iverson and his size ( he proved that he could share the load with Melo in Denver)