PDA

View Full Version : Howard would test free agency even if traded to Lakers?

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-31-2012, 03:23 PM
A source close to the negotiations says Howard's representatives warned the Lakers that Howard would opt out of his contract and test the free-agent market next summer -- which has the Lakers' brass understandably nervous.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7407044/playing-dwight-howard-scenarios

lol...

The warning part is worrisome. knowing this I wont even trade Bynum for this fool.

He is basically going to follow D Williams wherever he goes...

Kiddlovesnets
01-31-2012, 03:25 PM
lol Dwight, welcome to the Nets, or the Mavs then.

KOBEtherealKing
01-31-2012, 03:26 PM
Lebron 2.0 lakers should just look for a pg because this is worse than the melo situation

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-31-2012, 03:28 PM
lol Dwight, welcome to the Nets, or the Mavs then.

dont be so sure about the nets. They both can go to Dallas and play with Dirk :)

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
Lebron 2.0 lakers should just look for a pg because this is worse than the melo situation

its worse. Atleast Lebron didnt mess around with anybody. neither did Bosh.

Kiddlovesnets
dont be so sure about the nets. They both can go to Dallas and play with Dirk :)

I said Nets or Mavs, read the post carefully before replying.
:facepalm

Brickz187
01-31-2012, 03:29 PM
Maybe Dwight just wants to go where the hell he wants to go? It's free agency, he has the right to do so.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-31-2012, 03:31 PM
Maybe Dwight just wants to go where the hell he wants to go? It's free agency, he has the right to do so.

yupe he can. But dont waste Lakers time by including them in your list and then warning to leave them when they give up an importance piece for them.

I dont care how horrible Bynum is ...he is still the 2nd best center in the league

kennethgriffin
the lakers problem isnt the center position... or even the pg position believe it or not

its the offensive system. they built their team based on the triangle... a slow smart offensive system where passing creates open shots for everyone on the floor

right now it takes them 15 seconds just to get into a play. then it ends up being a contested shot by either kobe or someone else... and the only time its wide open is if gasol or artest are shooting a three pointer

the proof is in the consecutive under 100 point streak.

its just a flawed system and if they got a pg then it might help a little. but then you factor in that most great pg's need an athletic team to keep up with them.. the lakers are slow

they need to get back to the triangle. or trade 90% of the players on their team

IGOTGAME
now he just sounds immature. you want to pick you team out to trade for you, but won't guarantee to resign.

If that is how he wants himself that is fine. Just be straight forward and honest.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-31-2012, 03:32 PM
I said Nets or Mavs, read the post carefully before replying.
:facepalm

my bad...

Kiddlovesnets
01-31-2012, 03:32 PM
Lakers should try to land Calderon as starting PG and Sessions as backup PG and SG. This way they are right back as a contender, trading away both Bybum and Gasol for Dwight aint making you much better.

SpecialQue
01-31-2012, 03:34 PM
In that case, fvck Howard.

Brickz187
01-31-2012, 03:34 PM
yupe he can. But dont waste Lakers time by including them in your list and then warning to leave them when they give up an importance piece for them.

I dont care how horrible Bynum is ...he is still the 2nd best center in the league

Well he is telling them that he will opt out, I don't see that as him wasting the Lakers time. They know the deal, either they go for it or not. I say not, but who am I? The Lakers are wasting their time. The center position is not the position they need right now.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-31-2012, 03:35 PM
the lakers problem isnt the center position... or even the pg position believe it or not

its the offensive system. they built their team based on the triangle... a slow smart offensive system where passing creates open shots for everyone on the floor

right now it takes them 15 seconds just to get into a play. then it ends up being a contested shot by either kobe or someone else... and the only time its wide open is if gasol or artest are shooting a three pointer

its just a flawed system and if they got a pg then it might help a little. but then you factor in that most great pg's need an athletic team to keep up with them.. the lakers are slow

they need to get back to the triangle. or trade 90% of the players on their team

I would trade Bynum for D Williams but the nets are not going to trade him when they know they might have a chance to get Howard.

I dont think there is any other Star PG thats available for Bynum

Kiddlovesnets
01-31-2012, 03:35 PM
What I see from this thread are no other than angry and panicking Lakers fans...
:lol

niko
01-31-2012, 03:36 PM
Bullshit, he's not leaving $30M on the table to be Deron's puppy. If he goes to a good situation he's staying.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-31-2012, 03:37 PM
Well he is telling them that he will opt out, I don't see that as him wasting the Lakers time. They know the deal, either they go for it or not. I say not, but who am I? The Lakers are wasting their time. The center position is not the position they need right now.

he is wasting lakers time by including them in his list. The Lakers problem is they cant move forward as long as he has them in his list.

Fcuk Him honestly...dont include Lakers and lakers can walk away and get other moves done

IGOTGAME

that is why the Lakers will won't no part of him as long as that stays true.

DirtySanchez
Well...if that's the case screw Howard in purple and gold. Go after another young talent.

SpecialQue
01-31-2012, 03:38 PM
Lakers should try to land Calderon as starting PG and Sessions as backup PG and SG. This way they are right back as a contender, trading away both Bybum and Gasol for Dwight aint making you much better.

To be honest, since the franchise has practically ruined Gasol with all the trade talks, they should probably do whatever they can to trade him for a few solid players, rather than trying to land stars. That Rockets deal would have given us some great additions to the team, but that's obviously not even an option anymore.

The whole "pampered stars demanding trades" thing is really old and needs to fvcking die already.

returnofthemack
01-31-2012, 03:39 PM
its worse. Atleast Lebron didnt mess around with anybody. neither did Bosh.

righttttt lebron didnt mess with anybody. only the cavs you mean. but they dont count right?:lol

i wish lebron had told the front office he was gone after the season. we could have got alot for him in a trade

Kiddlovesnets
Bullshit, he's not leaving $30M on the table to be Deron's puppy. If he goes to a good situation he's staying.

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmjv46Boe61qh1dkqo1_500.jpg

Rowe

The only thing hes leaving is essentially just an extra year by doing this.

The slight cut in salary from year to year isn't a factor.

BGriffin's Dad
Dwight doesn't have the winning gene in him... he doesn't have that drive

Kiddlovesnets
01-31-2012, 03:40 PM
To be honest, since the franchise has practically ruined Gasol with all the trade talks, they should probably do whatever they can to trade him for a few solid players, rather than trying to land stars. That Rockets deal would have given us some great additions to the team, but that's obviously not even an option anymore.

The whole "pampered stars demanding trades" thing is really old and needs to fvcking die already.

Well I suggested Gasol + Barnes for Scola+Lowry+Thabeet trade before, not sure if it would happen?

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-31-2012, 03:40 PM
righttttt lebron didnt mess with anybody. only the cavs you mean. but they dont count right?:lol

i wish lebron had told the front office he was gone after the season. we could have got alot for him in a trade

Cavs Owner and FO is to blame for it. we dont know what happened inside.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-31-2012, 03:41 PM
Well I suggested Gasol + Barnes for Scola+Lowry+Thabeet trade before, not sure if it would happen?

I would take that. Lowry is good but the problem is scola runs till 14/15 i guess & he is already 32

swi7ch
01-31-2012, 03:42 PM
miami heat

Rowe

The issue with moving Gasol is that you're only going to find a handful of teams who'd be interested in acquiring him, while giving up equal assets to the Lakers.

SpecialQue

Once again, trading Gasol to the Rockets depended on Nene being picked up. That didn't happen.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-31-2012, 03:43 PM

but whats a good situation? kobe and bunch of trash? i dont think so

he perfers to Deron's puppy rather than a guy who has won 5chips. you can tell how fcuked up that thinking is

niko
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmjv46Boe61qh1dkqo1_500.jpg
No, just logical. If he gets sent to a bad situation, yes, he may leave. he's not leaving LA and one of the league's premier teams that fulfills his total wishlist and $30M so Deron can hug him every morning.

If he gets to FA, i think Nets would be #1 choice, But the thought he'd ONLY extend with them is fantasy.

pegasus
He should at least agree to the final year of his current contract, a la CP3.

niko
01-31-2012, 03:44 PM

he perfers to Deron's puppy rather than a guy who has won 5chips. you can tell how fcuked up that thinking is
thats why i think its bullshit. anyone who claims to know exactly what he is thinking is just speculating.

returnofthemack
Cavs Owner and FO is to blame for it. we dont know what happened inside.

your absolutely right. there is plenty of blame to go around. they should have seen through his shit and traded him to whomever for picks.

on the other hand lebron should have been a man and told everyone he wanted to go to miami.

Rowe
Houston's not moving Lowry.

They declined the option on Flynn, and are shopping him.
Goran Dragic expires and likely will consider bigger deals in Europe.

AirTupac
01-31-2012, 03:45 PM

Yes... it is one of our biggest problems.

A terrible PG rotation
with a terrible SF rotation
and adding on to what you said = Lakers problem. It's such a messed up shithole at the moment.

Kiddlovesnets
01-31-2012, 03:45 PM
No, just logical. If he gets sent to a bad situation, yes, he may leave. he's not leaving LA and one of the league's premier teams that fulfills his total wishlist and $30M so Deron can hug him every morning.

If he gets to FA, i think Nets would be #1 choice, But the thought he'd ONLY extend with them is fantasy.

Well he's going to extend with whichever team that has a superstar pass-first PG. Id say Nets, Mavs and Celtics belong to this list, Bulls have a great PG too but Rose does not pass the ball to the big men very often.

Rowe
01-31-2012, 03:48 PM

Because at some point very soon Kobe will be carried by Dwight, or Kobe's ego will let him retire than to be an "aging sidekick". Mike Brown isn't exactly a coach any player is dying to play for, and the Lakers' cap space is ****ed up for the next 3 years. In the meantime, Jim Buss is directing the team's future.

Deron & Dwight are around the same age. Realistically, a duo like that in their prime could get another 5-7 good years together competing for a Title.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-31-2012, 03:48 PM
Well he's going to extend with whichever team that has a superstar pass-first PG. Id say Nets, Mavs and Celtics belong to this list, Bulls have a great PG too but Rose does not pass the ball to the big men very often.

lol if that big man is noah then nobody would either. depends on who he plays with

Kiddlovesnets
01-31-2012, 03:49 PM
lol if that big man is noah then nobody would either. depends on who he plays with

lol thats a solid point Id say. The Lakers need a passer too on their team in order to lure Dwight to stay, Calderon is a good choice but not sure if Dwight likes him or not.

Rowe
01-31-2012, 03:50 PM
Dwight will never extend in Boston, nor does Boston have the trade assets to acquire him.

Its a longshot by Boston fans looking to avoid a bleak future.

niko
01-31-2012, 03:52 PM
and i disagree and think Larry Coon is pulling it out of his ass, as i think of Stephen A saying Knicks are talking to Magic, or any of the various reports that have him "only" agreeing to one team or another.

He had a whole list of things he wanted, and LA fulfills all of them and NY not so much. Asking me to believe NJ is his only option and LA not at all is something i don't believe.

$30M is a lot of money to leave on the table just to upgrade from good to slightly better situation.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-31-2012, 03:52 PM
lol thats a solid point Id say. The Lakers need a passer too on their team in order to lure Dwight to stay, Calderon is a good choice but not sure if Dwight likes him or not.

a passer who can hit the open shot but foremost he should atleast defend a chair on which i am sitting on

I bet Calderon cant guard even that.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-31-2012, 03:54 PM
and i disagree and think Larry Coon is pulling it out of his ass, as i think of Stephen A saying Knicks are talking to Magic, or any of the various reports that have him "only" agreeing to one team or another.

He had a whole list of things he wanted, and LA fulfills all of them and NY not so much. Asking me to believe NJ is his only option and LA not at all is something i don't believe.

$30M is a lot of money to leave on the table just to upgrade from good to slightly better situation.

remember Jim Buss's interview few weeks back? he said the same thing about howard extension so it might be true.

It's A VC3!!!
01-31-2012, 03:59 PM
Aside from being a serious Nets fans, there is no reason Dwight Howard would team up with a 33 year old Kobe Bryant, who takes 20 shots a game. Sorry, I just don't see it. The Bulls or Nets are his best destinations if he plans to win a championship. Although both those teams would need to give up several bodies for Dwight, Deron, and Rose compliment Howard perfectly. As a Nets fans I would love to get Dwight through FA, so that we can use Brook Lopez and get a 3rd player to make a big 3. Just wishful thinking atm.

Kiddlovesnets
01-31-2012, 04:00 PM
a passer who can hit the open shot but foremost he should atleast defend a chair on which i am sitting on

I bet Calderon cant guard even that.

Then you need Ramon Sessions as your backup PG when defense is needed.

Real Men Wear Green
01-31-2012, 04:00 PM
Guess he's just determined to be a Celtic. Can't say I blame the guy. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

3peated
01-31-2012, 04:02 PM
i think its clear he's taking his talents to south beach.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-31-2012, 04:05 PM
Aside from being a serious Nets fans, there is no reason Dwight Howard would team up with a 33 year old Kobe Bryant, who takes 20 shots a game. Sorry, I just don't see it. The Bulls or Nets are his best destinations if he plans to win a championship. Although both those teams would need to give up several bodies for Dwight, Deron, and Rose compliment Howard perfectly. As a Nets fans I would love to get Dwight through FA, so that we can use Brook Lopez and get a 3rd player to make a big 3. Just wishful thinking atm.

cool story man. Even Magic Johnson said if he wants win a ring he will come and play with Kobe Bean Bryant. If he wants to team up with his friend and want all the other stuff he will go and play with Deron Williams

I would take chances on 33 yr Kobe bryant then any of those you mentioned atleast for next 2 years.

clayton
01-31-2012, 04:07 PM
He has no faith in old Bryant. To the Heat!

Derka
01-31-2012, 04:08 PM
Guess he's just determined to be a Celtic. Can't say I blame the guy. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

I'm beginning to get this sense. Had Phil Jackson stayed on to coach in LA, I think LA would have been a no-brainer. Unless Otis forces a trade before the deadline to just get anything he can for him, I think Dwight sees the potential in Boston when free agency hits.

Kiddlovesnets
01-31-2012, 04:08 PM
cool story man. Even Magic Johnson said if he wants win a ring he will come and play with Kobe Bean Bryant. If he wants to team up with his friend and want all the other stuff he will go and play with Deron Williams

I would take chances on 33 yr Kobe bryant then any of those you mentioned atleast for next 2 years.

Well nope, Kobe will be washed up soon and Dwight knows this fact very well. There is a chance he will end up with the Lakers though, but definitely not because of Kobe. The possible explanation would be that the Lakers rebuild rather quickly and can hope to land another young superstar.

The_Yearning
01-31-2012, 04:11 PM

You're an idiot.

Dwight doesn't want shots. He wants less pressure, more fun.

He can get that in LA. He doesn't even have to act like he wants the ball in crunchtime anymore. He can just focus on being a Ben Wallace garbage man.

Primary
01-31-2012, 04:12 PM
Dwight don't even know what he wants I just hope we can clear some cap space and rebuild. Ready for this disaster season to end already. Otis Smith is a joke.

Kiddlovesnets
01-31-2012, 04:13 PM
You're an idiot.

He can get that in LA. He doesn't even have to act like he wants the ball in crunchtime anymore. He can just focus on being a Ben Wallace garbage man.

I think the point is not with how many shots Kobe takes, but that he's already 33 and is close to washed-up. Unless the Lakers can convince him that they will be able to land another young superstar soon, its a good chance Dwight's claim against Lakers is trustworthy.

WillyJakk
01-31-2012, 04:19 PM
He's really making it really hard for us to move him.

Any team that can sign or make caproom for both Deron Williams and Dwight Howard better do it ASAP cause this is the inevitable team up he wants.

It's A VC3!!!
01-31-2012, 04:20 PM
You're an idiot.

Then you must be stupid, because he ultimately wants a championship and will will not win that in a Lakers uniform. End of the story.

Bottom line, he wants to play with Deron Williams, and HE WILL play with Deron Williams one way or another, and it will most likely be in the new arena located in Brooklyn.

REACTION
01-31-2012, 04:26 PM
Then you must be stupid, because he ultimately wants a championship and will will not win that in a Lakers uniform. End of the story.

Bottom line, he wants to play with Deron Williams, and HE WILL play with Deron Williams one way or another, and it will most likely be in the new arena located in Brooklyn.

Yeah, who the hell wins championships in Lakers uniforms? If Dwight wants to win, he should become a Net.

/sarcasm

Kiddlovesnets
01-31-2012, 04:28 PM
He's really making it really hard for us to move him.

Any team that can sign or make caproom for both Deron Williams and Dwight Howard better do it ASAP cause this is the inevitable team up he wants.

But Magic aint accepting Nets offer at this point, so its impossible to do it ASAP. We will see how it goes at the end of this season though, chances are Dwight walks off as FA and signs with wherever Deron is at.

M.V.W.
01-31-2012, 04:42 PM
Even though I want Howard in purple and gold, I'd rather the Nets get him than the Mavs if the Lakers can't get him. At least, that way he and Williams aren't be going to an in-conference rival. However, for those who say Bryant is washed up, he's putting up some great numbers. I think if there was some way to keep Gasol and get a quality point guard, it would sell Howard on the Lakers. With that scenario, there's a very good chance of at least one title before Bryant retires.

WillyJakk
01-31-2012, 04:52 PM
But Magic aint accepting Nets offer at this point, so its impossible to do it ASAP. We will see how it goes at the end of this season though, chances are Dwight walks off as FA and signs with wherever Deron is at.

Yep.

It's getting to the point where the Nets won't have to offer ANYTHING (except a huge TE) for Dwight if he ends up in BK.

guy
01-31-2012, 05:30 PM
I still don't see why the Lakers wouldn't do it. Lakers are pretty much not winning this year with the team they have. Plus Bynum will be an FA after next year and obviously he's injury prone. Gasol is aging and will only have 2 years left after this year. They should still take the risk.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-31-2012, 05:46 PM
I still don't see why the Lakers wouldn't do it. Lakers are pretty much not winning this year with the team they have. Plus Bynum will be an FA after next year and obviously he's injury prone. Gasol is aging and will only have 2 years left after this year. They should still take the risk.

huh? so just because they are not winning they need to trade 2 of their best players after kobe and risk losing Howard for nothing?

I would prefer to tell howard to "FCUK OFF" and go and try to get other good younger athletic players for either of bynum/gasol

talkingconch
01-31-2012, 05:47 PM

hahahahahahaha

talkingconch
01-31-2012, 05:49 PM

If this source is correct about Dwight opting out, then it means Lakers would lose Bynum for nothing.

Is this for this summer or next summer? can someone clarify

Rowe
01-31-2012, 05:56 PM
If this source is correct about Dwight opting out, then it means Lakers would lose Bynum for nothing.

This summer in 2012.

guy
01-31-2012, 06:53 PM

I was assuming next summer but after reading it again, I'm not sure. It doesn't really make sense. The statement says "opt out" which would mean this summer, but also says "next summer" which would mean summer of 2013. I was under the impression that meant he would test FA in summer 2013 and not sign an extension before that.

irondarts
01-31-2012, 06:56 PM
So sick of Dwight saying something new every damn day about a trade or a team he's added to his "list".

longtime lurker
01-31-2012, 07:20 PM
What the hell is Dwight Howard thinking? He'd be crazy to opt out of LA. Kobes far from done, you'd have to be crazy if he doesn't think they could surround him with talent even after kobe retires. Unless he really wants to go to Dallas

Doranku
01-31-2012, 07:41 PM
Who the f*ck does this guy think he is? :oldlol:

Real Men Wear Green
01-31-2012, 08:41 PM
DPoY, serial All-Star/First team All-NBA, in-prime superstar free agent to-be?

Zackmorris
01-31-2012, 08:47 PM
Dwight doesn't know where the **** he wants to go.

B
01-31-2012, 09:15 PM
Maybe Dwight just wants to go where the hell he wants to go? It's free agency, he has the right to do so.Then he shouldn't demand a trade. He should wait for free agency then go about his business but it's downright stupid to demand a trade and have your camp running around undercutting the Magic front office by telling teams he won't sign an extension and he's still going to test the free agency waters no matter what

RazorBaLade
01-31-2012, 09:17 PM
if we cant get a PG this year then trading bynum for howard and trying to win a ring then having cap space to sign people for 2013 is better than watching the lakers now making absolutely no moves and clearly having no chance to win.

Blake/Glock
Kobe/Kapono
Barnes/MWP
Gasol/Murphy
Howard/Mcrob

that team can make a championship run.... Then you are free of howards contract to try to get someone like DWil (or sign howard back if thats possible if they do win) or nash a decent big.

B
01-31-2012, 09:18 PM
I still don't see why the Lakers wouldn't do it. Lakers are pretty much not winning this year with the team they have. Plus Bynum will be an FA after next year and obviously he's injury prone. Gasol is aging and will only have 2 years left after this year. They should still take the risk.Because you don't trade away talent like Gasol or Bynum for a "maybe"

RazorBaLade
01-31-2012, 09:18 PM
[QUOTE=B

B
01-31-2012, 09:23 PM
But if the maybe doesn't work out then its glorious cap space. It is the chance to sign someone good that actually fills a hole in your team.
It would create 6 million in cap space. That's glorious? Bynum and Gasol are also too much contract for just bringing Howard in so that means somebody like Hedo is coming along with his massive contract and there goes even that small amount of cap space and the Lakers are stuck with Hedo and his bloated contract while Howard tests free agency

A second look shows us the Cap Holds would take away any cap space. Lakers would still be over the cap even with Gasol and Bynum off the books. Laker are at nearly 90 million in contracts. It's going to take a lot of salary to come off the books to get them below the cap far enough to go after a quality free agent

ZeN
01-31-2012, 09:26 PM
QFT

RazorBaLade
01-31-2012, 09:34 PM
[QUOTE=B

longtime lurker
01-31-2012, 09:53 PM
if we cant get a PG this year then trading bynum for howard and trying to win a ring then having cap space to sign people for 2013 is better than watching the lakers now making absolutely no moves and clearly having no chance to win.

Blake/Glock
Kobe/Kapono
Barnes/MWP
Gasol/Murphy
Howard/Mcrob

that team can make a championship run.... Then you are free of howards contract to try to get someone like DWil (or sign howard back if thats possible if they do win) or nash a decent big.

If Howard comes to that team no way he's not signing an extension. And you have no idea how the cap works they wouldn't have room if they let Howard go.

Real Men Wear Green
01-31-2012, 10:02 PM
[QUOTE=B

Kiddlovesnets
01-31-2012, 10:04 PM

More valuable on the court than Kobe Bryant entering next season.

B
01-31-2012, 10:07 PM
wat. 6 million?! I have no idea how that stuff works apparently. I may be confused with cap space and just space to sign F/As.. but they might b the same I assumed that if we trade for howard, we take on his contract, and once hes gone then all that money can be used to sign someone else.With Howard on the books and Gassol and Bynum off the Lakers are around 77 million take Howards 20 million off and that puts them about 57. Salary Cap will be 58 million, so saying 6 million was being a bit generous on my part

Cap space is how much room you have to bring in a free agent or take on salary. If you have 6 million in cap space you can only sign a free agent or agents that total 6 million or less. The total sum of all contracts to active players is what determines how much cap space a team has or in the Lakers case doesn't have.

This isn't including the various exceptions that allow teams over the cap to sign role players

niko
01-31-2012, 10:09 PM
QFT
The fact people hate the Lakers doesn't change the fact he's not going to leave them in FA.

Jasper
01-31-2012, 11:02 PM
drafted at 19 , freeeeeedommmmm to choose where one wants to play in his prime , has HIGH VALUE.

pegasus
01-31-2012, 11:06 PM
Maybe he said that so Orlando can't force the Lakers into giving up both Bynum and Gasol. God knows what's going on behind closed doors with these people. Look at what the cHeaters pulled off.

guy
01-31-2012, 11:21 PM
[QUOTE=B

Kiddlovesnets
02-01-2012, 05:07 AM
Its not a good idea for Dwight to be a Laker anyway, they aint going to be any better than the Magic team once Kobe and Gasol are washed up 2 years from now. Of course some may say Lakers could trade Gasol for a superstar like Deron, nice dream but not happening.

talkingconch
02-01-2012, 05:24 AM
Its not a good idea for Dwight to be a Laker anyway, they aint going to be any better than the Magic team once Kobe and Gasol are washed up 2 years from now. Of course some may say Lakers could trade Gasol for a superstar like Deron, nice dream but not happening.
http://www.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs6/2066669_o.gif

Kiddlovesnets
02-01-2012, 05:28 AM
http://www.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs6/2066669_o.gif

http://commentonthis.webs.com/photos/wierdcooland-funny/youmad.jpg

LiLharvard
02-01-2012, 06:08 AM
In a couple of interview I noticed Dwight was raving about the Celtics and how he loves the way they "play together" and will sacrifice individual stats just to get the win. Is it wishful thinking that he may come to boston? More to the point, is it even possible and how?

Anyone with Elite basketball knowledge mind stepping up to the plate and taking the reigns for this one.

LA_Showtime
02-01-2012, 07:23 PM
I don't care. Do it. Trade Gasol and Bynum for Howard if you have to. It's not like this team is going anywhere special anyways. If Howard leaves, that sucks, but at least we'll have more cap room and either way the Lakers' front office will be forced to make moves because Kobe will throw a shit fit and threaten to kill everyone.

Like I told Clipper fans when they were debating whether they should trade for Cp3... you always trade for the superstar-type players and worry about re-signing them later. Go big or go home.

BGriffin's Dad
02-01-2012, 07:31 PM
I don't care. Do it. Trade Gasol and Bynum for Howard if you have to. It's not like this team is going anywhere special anyways. If Howard leaves, that sucks, but at least we'll have more cap room and either way the Lakers' front office will be forced to make moves because Kobe will throw a shit fit and threaten to kill everyone.

Like I told Clipper fans when they were debating whether they should trade for Cp3... you always trade for the superstar-type players and worry about re-signing them later. Go big or go home.

yeah, I agree. If Dwight did choose to leave the Lakers next summer (which I don't think he'd do), the worst case would be for the Lakers to finally get some cap space... and Lakers cap space is pretty valuable.

There'd still be several other big name free agents over the next few years

LA_Showtime
02-01-2012, 07:36 PM
yeah, I agree. If Dwight did choose to leave the Lakers next summer (which I don't think he'd do), the worst case would be for the Lakers to finally get some cap space... and Lakers cap space is pretty valuable.

There'd still be several other big name free agents over the next few years

I should probably add that trading for Dwight Howard hardly guarantees the Lakers a championship, but at the very least it puts them in the discussion. Kobe and Howard would be a dynamic duo, and the Lakers have a couple role players who would thrive in that situation (Murphy, Blake, etc).

Even if they disappoint everyone and get ousted in the first round... you can't tell me that having the best center in the league is a bad thing. And I seriously doubt Howard would leave to sign with another team. Not only would he be giving up millions of dollars to play basketball, he'd also be giving up countless opportunities to make money through endorsements and what not.

I know Jim Buss is an idiot, and I would fully endorse starting a mini-fund on insidehoops to put a hit on that guy, but if you look at the history of the organization you realize all they do is win. I have a hard time believing the Lakers wouldn't be able to surround Kobe and Howard with talent good enough to compete for at least the next 3 seasons.

Droid101
02-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Simmons on the Dwight situation, and why the Lakers are still the likely destination:

You have to admit, making up fake trades, deciphering real rumors from fake ones and watching the league's only dominant center treat his final Orlando season with that same glazed/trapped/hostage-like look in his eyes that Katie Holmes has … it's been pretty fun, right? Not since 2007-08 Kobe (right before the Pau Gasol trade) have we watched a superstar put up killer numbers this effortlessly while remaining emotionally detached the entire time; it takes a special level of talent to dominate games while simultaneously mailing them in. Even stranger, Orlando GM Otis Smith seems to be paralyzed by the proceedings — after Brook Lopez's broken foot knocked New Jersey from the bidding, Joakim Noah's trade value went in the tank and the surging Clippers shook off Howard's overtures, poor Otis was suddenly left with Dallas and the Lakers as his only real suitors.

So what's taking so long with Bynum-for-Howard? Why the foreplay? Just pull the trigger, Otis! Save face by expanding the trade to include Nelson ($17.2 million remaining, expires in 2013) and the already floundered Quentin Richardson ($7.8 million remaining, expires 2014) for Matt Barnes (expires this season), the Lakers' 2012 no. 1 pick and a valuable trade exception (the $8.6 million opened by sending Nelson to the Lakers for Odom's exception). The final haul: Orlando chops $13.1 million from this season's payroll, dumps $11.85 million of 2012-13 salaries, picks up a draft pick and turns a two-dollar bill (Howard) into someone who's definitely improved to a dollar bill (Bynum If He Can Stay Healthy) for someone who's leaving anyway.

Of course, that makes too much sense, and we're talking about Otis Smith here. What if Otis decides, "Screw it, I'm getting fired anyway for giving Dwight such a pathetic supporting cast that he practically put out Craigslist ads trying to get traded — I should just roll the dice with the 10 percent chance that he'd rather stay here next summer because we can pay him more"? Well …

B
02-01-2012, 07:43 PM
If Howard leaves, that sucks, but at least we'll have more cap room and either way the Lakers' front office will be forced to make moves because Kobe will throw a shit fit and threaten to kill everyone.

It will result in basically 0 cap room

LA_Showtime
02-01-2012, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE=B

B
02-01-2012, 07:52 PM
I should have said more flexibility. It gives the Lakers the option to rebuild or reload.How so?

niko
02-01-2012, 07:55 PM
I agree the Lakers are the likely destination too, the Nets deal centers on Lopez, and he's coming off an injury and needs to be re-upped at YE, likely long term and big money. Bynum for all his injury concerns at least has real 1st option upside. Also for reasons ill never understand, Orlando wants proven stars and no rebuild. Bynum is both a proven commodity and someone with greater future potential.

Bigsmoke
02-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Dwight is going to Chicago.

The Real JW
02-01-2012, 08:02 PM
[QUOTE=B

Droid101
02-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Wouldn't it give them around $3 million in cap room to start with? And they can still use the amnesty clause on a player, like Artest for $6.79M. They also have some expirers too, I think. Barnes, Ebanks, Murphy, Kapono, Caracter.
**** it. This summer, the Lakers should:

Amnesty Kobe.
Trade Bynum to the Thunder for Harden, Ibaka, picks.
Trade Gasol for Sign and Traded Deron Williams.
Sign Dwight Howard outright.

Reload. Kill.

The Real JW
02-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Could they theoretically do this?

If the Lakers are $29.82M over the cap, they trade Pau and Bynum ($18.714M + $14.9M) for Dwight ($18M), amnesty Metta ($6.79M) and then lose Dwight in FA... wouldn't that put them around $10.584M under the cap?

Then if LA let's the following players expire: Barnes ($1.9M), Murphy ($0.854M), Kapono ($0.854M), Ebanks ($0.762M), Caracter ($0.762M), Morris ($0.473M)... for a total of $5.605M.

That would add up to $16.189M in cap space. Right?

B
02-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Wouldn't it give them around $3 million in cap room to start with? And they can still use the amnesty clause on a player, like Artest for $6.79M. They also have some expirers too, I think. Barnes, Ebanks, Murphy, Kapono, Caracter.
Yeah it's about 5+ million but that's with all the expires gone including Howard and zero cap hold included into the numbers. Realistically with the cap holds applied Lakers are over the cap with Howard contract off the books by a couple million.

They would have to use the amnesty clause to create any true cap space and even then are you going to get a difference maker that replaces what you lost in the Howard trade? They would have traded Bynum or Pau or most likely both for Howard who walked and all that's left over when the dust clears is using the amnesty clause to create 6 million in cap space?

The Real JW
02-01-2012, 08:13 PM
**** it. This summer, the Lakers should:

Amnesty Kobe.
Trade Bynum to the Thunder for Harden, Ibaka, picks.
Trade Gasol for Sign and Traded Deron Williams.
Sign Dwight Howard outright.

Reload. Kill.

Yeah, man, if they got rid of Kobe's salary I think they could really assemble some big names. It'd be nice if they could somehow reduce Kobe's contract, with his consent, and still keep him on the team though.

Droid101
02-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Or, trade Bynum and expirings for Dwight and long term contracts.

Once that happens, the Nets will be looking to trade Deron since he won't re-sign there without Dwight.

Gasol for Deron.

Reload. Kill.

B
02-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Could they theoretically do this?

If the Lakers are $29.82M over the cap, they trade Pau and Bynum ($18.714M + $14.9M) for Dwight ($18M), amnesty Metta ($6.79M) and then lose Dwight in FA... wouldn't that put them around $10.584M under the cap?

Then if LA let's the following players expire: Barnes ($1.9M), Murphy ($0.854M), Kapono ($0.854M), Ebanks ($0.762M), Caracter ($0.762M), Morris ($0.473M)... for a total of $5.605M.

That would add up to $16.189M in cap space. Right?Your numbers are real close to correct until you start subtracting Barnes and crowd. Lakers are at the 29.8 million dollars over the cap with their salaries already off the books next summer

So you had your truest numbers when you hit 10.5 million after the amnesty.

As a Laker fan I'm not real happy with losing Bynum and Pau to create 11 million in cap space. I'm pretty sure Kobe would have a problem with it too :lol

The Real JW
02-01-2012, 08:31 PM
[QUOTE=B

Droid101
02-01-2012, 08:43 PM
I don't get why Luke still has a spot on their roster.
At the time when he signed the contract, it was pretty modest. He was leading all Small Forwards in assists other than LeBron James, and led the league for a while in 3 point shooting percentage the year before he signed his contract.

So, giving him 5 years, 20 million (first season starting at 3.something mil), seemed an okay deal. It's the end years of the contract that will (and are) bite them. Also, it'd help if he kept up that production!!

Doctor Rivers
02-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Yeah, man, if they got rid of Kobe's salary I think they could really assemble some big names. It'd be nice if they could somehow reduce Kobe's contract, with his consent, and still keep him on the team though.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244624