PDA

View Full Version : Clippers Staples Center lease expires in 2013-2014

Clippersfan86
01-31-2012, 07:12 PM
What do you guys feel is the best decision? Stay in a top 3 NBA arena at a discounted price? Or get your own arena in San Diego or Anaheim and pay much more to renovate as well as the actual move itself? I'm really hoping Sterling listens to fans and makes the move so the Clippers can build their own legacy in their own building.

Do you guys think Sterling will go cheap again? Or will he prove us wrong?

EnoughSaid
01-31-2012, 07:13 PM
Sharing a center must be horrible. Do they have 2 different locker rooms for the Lakers and Clippers? :facepalm

cteach111
01-31-2012, 07:13 PM
Anaheim Clippers has a nice ring to it..

LemonMan
01-31-2012, 07:14 PM
They'll stay in LA

Rowe
01-31-2012, 07:17 PM
Clippers should move to Anaheim to the Honda Center.

Honestly, an "image re-branding" of the Clippers from the LA Clippers to the California Clippers or Anaheim Clippers would held with setting a new era for them.

Clippersfan86
01-31-2012, 07:18 PM
Sharing a center must be horrible. Do they have 2 different locker rooms for the Lakers and Clippers? :facepalm

Wow... great question. In 13 years as a fan I'm not even sure :oldlol: . I would think so.... but not positive. I agree it would be a mental shadow looming to know you share a court. I guess it's not much different than sharing it with another sports team like Hockey though because it means it's not exclusively yours.

I was just told though that it's extremely unlikely. Clippers are selling out every game making a ton of money.

Clippersfan86
01-31-2012, 07:19 PM
Clippers should move to Anaheim to the Honda Center.

Honestly, an "image re-branding" of the Clippers from the LA Clippers to the California Clippers or Anaheim Clippers would held with setting a new era for them.

Too bad the Clippers owner and front office won't see it this very fair way. They will probably look at it purely from a business perspective :( :mad: .

iDefend5
01-31-2012, 07:19 PM
Clippers should get the sweet lighting the Lakers have at the Staples Center.

Clippersfan86
01-31-2012, 07:22 PM

That would be biting off the Lakers. One change I do want to see though is more sound effects. I LOVE when the cannons explode after big dunks. Reminds me of when I watched the Buccaneers a lot.

Crown&Coke

there are two locker rooms, the home and away. Thats it.

Lakers home games, the Lakers take the home locker room

Clipppers home games, the Clippers take the home locker room.

From what I've read, the away locker room is a POS compared to the home locker room.

But the Clips are staying in LA, the amount of press they get is amazing considering the team has been a basement dweller their entire existence. That don't happen if they are in SD or Anaheim. And Sterling loves being in LA. For him to move the team its gonna take someone to give him a crap load of money to do it

iDefend5
That would be biting off the Lakers. One change I do want to see though is more sound effects. I LOVE when the cannons explode after big dunks. Reminds me of when I watched the Buccaneers a lot.
Staples Center looks stupid without it. When Shaq was on the Lakers the Staples Center looked dumb. It's sexy as hell now with the lights.

Clippersfan86
01-31-2012, 07:23 PM
there are two locker rooms, the home and away. Thats it.

Lakers home games, the Lakers take the home locker room

Clipppers home games, the Clippers take the home locker room.

From what I've read, the away locker room is a POS compared to the home locker room.

But the Clips are staying in LA, the amount of press they get is amazing considering the team has been a basement dweller their entire existence. That don't happen if they are in SD or Anaheim. And Sterling loves being in LA. For him to move the team its gonna take someone to give him a crap load of money to do it

If we had Mark Cuban as an owner he would definitely move the team as well as build a new arena or renovate one :mad: .

KOBEtherealKing
01-31-2012, 07:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew3f9qk3K5s

switch Cincinnati with San Diego :D

Clippersfan86
01-31-2012, 07:26 PM
Okay guys there are about 7 or 8 locker rooms that are exclusive. I just asked Eric Pincus of Hoopsworld.

He said the Clippers, Kings, Lakers, Sparks, away teams and a few spares are exclusively used.

KOBEtherealKing
01-31-2012, 07:26 PM
I hate that crap, with all the celebrities and low light, the crowd sounds dead. i wish they would take that away so people can hear and see more of the upper crowd.

shaq's--lakers
01-31-2012, 07:27 PM
Staples Center looks stupid without it. When Shaq was on the Lakers the Staples Center looked dumb. It's sexy as hell now with the lights.

You mean "The Man Who Built Staples Center"

iDefend5
01-31-2012, 07:28 PM
No

Crown&Coke
01-31-2012, 07:29 PM
If we had Mark Cuban as an owner he would definitely move the team as well as build a new arena or renovate one :mad: .

I dont know man, the LA market can contain two franchises. Staples Center is right in the heart of downtown, and even though it was built 11-12 years ago, it is pretty state of the art. Traffic is a biotch, but thats LA. And if traffic is the biggest set-back, thats pretty legit

I don't see a way to build an arena at a better location, and I don't see someone trying to move away from the 2nd biggest market

Damn sure Cuban would upgrade their facilities though. Dont know what their current Clips training facility is like, but Cuban would make it better no doubt

Bobcat4Ever
01-31-2012, 07:29 PM
Okay guys there are about 7 or 8 locker rooms that are exclusive. I just asked Eric Pincus of Hoopsworld.

He said the Clippers, Kings, Lakers, Sparks, away teams and a few spares are exclusively used.

Interesting. That's a lot of locker rooms.

Crown&Coke
01-31-2012, 07:31 PM

whoops, my bad. I was wrong. I think I was thinking about the arena in Anaheim

b1imtf
01-31-2012, 07:34 PM
Maybe that's why it looked dumb :lol

colorz
01-31-2012, 07:41 PM
No way the Clippers move

bdreason
01-31-2012, 07:42 PM
If the Clippers played in the Honda Center, I would buy season tickets... and I'm not the only one. Orange County and Los Angeles may as well be two different states. The Clippers will never beat the Lakers in popularity in L.A., but they could carve themselves a nice, lucrative nitch in Orange County with the right marketing.

Cowboy Thunder
01-31-2012, 07:44 PM
Clippers should move to Tulsa, Oklahoma and become the OKC Thunder's rival.

The economy is just booming in OK right now and most Oklahoman's have gratuitous amounts of disposable income. :eek: Keep on pumping that clean green compressed natural gas 'Merica :bowdown:

SpecialQue
01-31-2012, 07:54 PM
Clippers should move to Tulsa, Oklahoma and become the OKC Thunder's rival.

The economy is just booming in OK right now and most Oklahoman's have gratuitous amounts of disposable income. :eek: Keep on pumping that clean green compressed natural gas 'Merica :bowdown:

Kings would jump on that shit in a minute.

qrich
01-31-2012, 10:34 PM
Why would the Clippers move, especially right now with the way the team is doing? Winning games with two exciting players, I'm sure AEG will do whatever they can to retain the Clippers as I'm sure they are making a great amount of money with both NBA squads

Yes. I remember seeing a special on FSN about the locker rooms in the Staples Center and there are four just for basketball purposes. The Clippers, Lakers and Sparks have their own and one for the away squad.

DuMa
01-31-2012, 10:35 PM
i live 5 mins from honda center. so yes. anaheim. bring the earthquake blake home!

the anaheim area makes a lot of sense. they can share the market with the angels who also have the 'LA' name and also have the fanbase to compete with the real LA fans.

Kiddlovesnets
01-31-2012, 10:35 PM
The Clippers need to move to a different location unless they are sure they can take down the Lakers in LA popularity-wise.

Jasper
01-31-2012, 11:24 PM
Even though the Clippers put the lights back on in the forum ,

I still think the Seattle Clippers would work real well.

* History in Seattle was a naval base for the navy.

Kensta
01-31-2012, 11:26 PM
Los Angeles Clippers of Anaheim :D

kingBynum
01-31-2012, 11:41 PM
Doubt cheap sterling will move. They just built the new practice facility and no one or city is gonna fund a new arena, heck they can't even get one for the NFL

devin112
02-01-2012, 12:00 AM
Wow... great question. In 13 years as a fan I'm not even sure :oldlol: . I would think so.... but not positive. I agree it would be a mental shadow looming to know you share a court. I guess it's not much different than sharing it with another sports team like Hockey though because it means it's not exclusively yours.

I was just told though that it's extremely unlikely. Clippers are selling out every game making a ton of money.

One of my friends dad is a construction worker who worked in the construction of it and he brought me along years ago when they had it open showing for the workers and their families.

They even let us check out the locker rooms and yes Clippers and Lakers have their own- same size just different colors. The Staples main tenant isn't actually the Lakers but the Kings and the reason why the seats inside staples is purple is because of the Kings.

Meticode
02-01-2012, 12:02 AM
Yes they do.

Ronin
02-01-2012, 12:26 AM
Move to San Francisco

iDefend5
02-01-2012, 12:28 AM
Move to San Francisco
:facepalm Warriors

kingBynum
02-01-2012, 12:30 AM
Move to San Francisco
you guys have golden state and Sac already

FindingTim
02-01-2012, 12:37 AM
Santa Monica, baby. Stadium on the beach. build it on a warf/harbor, have clippers in the harbor (they are boats right?). And aquariums. the area should have aquariums. I know it sounds a little out there, but it would be dope. Think SBC Park but in west LA. Also, a uniform adjustment would keep things fresh; not an overhaul, just a tinkering.

EllEffEll
02-01-2012, 01:10 AM
The Clippers sold out their season tickets this season for the first time ever. Moving to SD or OC makes little to no business sense when you could lose a big chunk of your season ticket holders and have to play in an arena that is 2nd rate compared to Staples. Especially now that the LA Live area is built up. I can't see Honda Center, or any other SoCal arena competing with that.

The arenas the Clippers used to play in are *S*holes compared to Staples. Heck, they are *S*holes compared to the Forum. As far as I am concerned, they seem to have finally carved out their own identity here. Going to a Clippers game is a distinctly different experience than going to a Laker game even though they are in the same arena, and even have games on the same day. IMHO, they have no reason to harbor an inferiority complex just because they play in the same arena as the Lakers.

Babalu
02-01-2012, 01:15 AM
is sterling still the owner?

then the clippers are staying.

bluechox2
02-01-2012, 01:28 AM
:lol Clippersfan86 with 1,367 posts last week alone

EnoughSaid
02-01-2012, 01:33 AM
So they re-do the floor every single time? That must be so annoying. :eek:

LemonMan
02-01-2012, 01:46 AM
:lol Clippersfan86 with 1,367 posts last week alone
so what? hating on someone being a big fan of ball sounds stupid to me

bluechox2
02-01-2012, 01:49 AM
so what? hating on someone being a big fan of ball sounds stupid to me
who said im hating:pimp: your assumptions are wrong:pimp:

Scholar
02-01-2012, 01:55 AM
The Clippers need to move back to San Diego.

It must be embarrassing being on the Clippers' roster, looking up and seeing nothing but Lakers' 16 banners and various retired jerseys of players who never would even consider signing with the Clips.

Having an arena of their own would make things easier for them because they won't have to be embarrassed being in an arena, looking up and seeing nothing but Lakers' 16 banners and various retired jerseys of players who never would even consider signing with the Clips.

dab0yech0
02-01-2012, 02:11 AM
Im sure they will just come up with a new contract.

CP3 would be pissed because he just bought a house in Bel Air. Most of the team currently owns houses in the Playa Vista area, not to mention our state of the art practice facility is there.

There is no way I mean no way in hell the Clippers move. Sterling spent tons on that facility.

Lebron23
02-01-2012, 02:13 AM
They need a new arena, or move their franchise to another location.

EllEffEll
02-02-2012, 01:51 AM
So they re-do the floor every single time? That must be so annoying. :eek:

Yep. Just about everything is different. The Clipper's scorer's table is longer, and they have different backboards too.

DirtySanchez
02-02-2012, 03:25 AM
Move the team to Seattle.

MMM
02-02-2012, 04:17 AM
Before they played in Staples didn't they play in Anaheim in the duck pond/Honda Center. So,I don't believe they would actually have to change the name to Anaheim or LA Clippers of Anaheim.

UtahJazzFan88
02-02-2012, 04:18 AM
They need a new arena, or move their franchise to another location.

Would be nice if San Diego or Las Vegas had arenas for them to play in, Clippers back in San Diego would be nice.

OKCThunderUP
02-02-2012, 04:21 AM
The Clippers can't afford to move anywhere else.

Edit: And what kind of sense does it make to leave one of the better arenas in the NBA at a discounted rate just to say you have your own place? That's how you go bankrupt. It's bad business.

MMM
02-02-2012, 04:23 AM
SD doesn't make much sense economically though in fact moving the Clipps out of the 2nd biggest market makes very little sense to me.

UtahJazzFan88
02-02-2012, 04:25 AM
SD doesn't make much sense economically though in fact moving the Clipps out of the 2nd biggest market makes very little sense to me.

Because the Lakers are the main tenant in LA. The Clippers at the Pond in Anaheim makes the most sense, but SD is just the hope. If there was an arena in SD, it would make sense considering they're starting up a Fox Sports San Diego station for the Padres this year and they'd already have a TV home.

Zenji
02-02-2012, 04:30 AM
The smart financial move would be to just stay in LA.

32Dayz
02-02-2012, 04:32 AM
They should become one of the best teams in the league for multiple years and clearly make themselves the best team in the city.

Then as soon as Kobe retires they can steal away 95% of Laker fans.

:applause: