PDA

View Full Version : NBA Team Captains

Clippersfan86
02-01-2012, 03:22 PM
This is one aspect of NBA basketball that is pretty under the radar and never discussed. Do you guys know the team captains on your teams? I don't even know any captains besides Fisher honestly. I do know the Clippers never seem to have a team captain. To be a captain you have to have the C logo on the shoulder right?

Section 111 NBA rule book.

a. A team may have a captain and a co-captain numbering a maximum of two. The designated captain may be anyone on the squad who is in uniform, except a player-coach.

b. The designated captain is the only player who may talk to an official during a regular or 20-second timeout charged to his team. He may discuss a rule interpretation, but not a judgment decision.

c. If the designated captain continues to sit on the bench, he remains the captain for the entire game.

d.In the event that the captain is absent from the court or bench, his coach shall immediately designate a new captain.

Clutch
02-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Melo and Amare are Knicks co-captains.

Clippersfan86
02-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Melo and Amare are Knicks co-captains.

Do they have the black C on the shoulder?

Clutch
02-01-2012, 03:25 PM
I wasn't paying attention on that so I don't know.

boozehound
02-01-2012, 03:27 PM
This is one aspect of NBA basketball that is pretty under the radar and never discussed. Do you guys know the team captains on your teams? I don't even know any captains besides Fisher honestly. I do know the Clippers never seem to have a team captain. To be a captain you have to have the C logo on the shoulder right?

Section 111 NBA rule book.

a. A team may have a captain and a co-captain numbering a maximum of two. The designated captain may be anyone on the squad who is in uniform, except a player-coach.

b. The designated captain is the only player who may talk to an official during a regular or 20-second timeout charged to his team. He may discuss a rule interpretation, but not a judgment decision.

c. If the designated captain continues to sit on the bench, he remains the captain for the entire game.

d.In the event that the captain is absent from the court or bench, his coach shall immediately designate a new captain.

Doesnt seem like they enforce this one.

Clippersfan86
02-01-2012, 03:28 PM

Well usually I've noticed the same players talking to refs. In the Clippers case it's CP3 and Griffin... so maybe they are captains? :confusedshrug: . Or just whiners haha. I never see Ryan Gomes going and talking to refs for example.

Burgz
02-01-2012, 03:30 PM

not all teams have those

Burgz
02-01-2012, 03:31 PM

they actually do, it's been a rule for a while now but its very hard to tell

Clippersfan86
02-01-2012, 03:33 PM
not all teams have those

Well they should. A patch gives a sense of pride man! Weren't you ever at a boys camp growing up? LOL

SteveNashMVPcro
02-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Nash and Hill are co-captains on the Suns

Burgz
02-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Well they should. A patch gives a sense of pride man! Weren't you ever at a boys camp growing up? LOL

i live in Canada. Hockey has had that system and that's all you hear from new fans "who's got the 'C', who's the assistant?"

i think captaincy's are something meant to be internal, it could give players a false sense of pride or obligation otherwise

The Macho Man
02-01-2012, 03:55 PM
http://www.truthaboutit.net/pictures/2009-10/andray-blatche-who-me.jpg

That's right.

Pushxx
02-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Paul Pierce is a great captain.

HiphopRelated
02-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Wade/Haslem on the Heat

MK2V1GP
02-01-2012, 04:51 PM
I would assume Stephen Jackson is a captain for the Bucks for two reasons: 1. His nickname is Capt. Jack. How can that be your nickname if you're actually not a captain? 2. He is always talking to refs.