PDA

View Full Version : What is Gordon Hayward's ceiling?

AMISTILLILL
02-05-2012, 12:01 AM
He's currently averaging 9.6 PPG, 3.2 RPG and 3.3 APG. He's shown a lot of growth since last season and is an important piece of that young Jazz core. What players do you think his peak will be comparable to?

mrpibb
02-05-2012, 12:02 AM
I think he's an Iguodala type player. I have nothing to back that up other than what I've seen.

iDunk
02-05-2012, 12:08 AM
A more athletic Mike Miller is a great comparison IMO.

UtahJazzFan88
02-05-2012, 12:10 AM
Needs to show more consistency is what I'd say right now.

AMISTILLILL
02-05-2012, 12:10 AM
He needs to pack on some weight and develop a bit of a mean streak if those Iggy comparisons have any chance of ringing true.

Edit: somehow Haywood weighs more than Iggy. Weird... he doesn't look it.

mrpibb
02-05-2012, 12:12 AM
He just needs the muscle, my man. :D

airchibundo507
02-05-2012, 12:15 AM
18-20/5/5

AMISTILLILL
02-05-2012, 12:16 AM
Truth, truth.

entropy35
02-05-2012, 12:21 AM
Needs to be more assertive. He is one of the best passers for his position.

Derka
02-05-2012, 12:23 AM
Well, he can't get much whiter than he is...so I'd say he's about hit it.

Oh, you mean his game? *shrug* Dude's good. Hot girlfriend on his hip when he got drafted.

K, really? I wasn't even paying attention. Hi.

hawksdogsbraves
02-05-2012, 12:30 AM
I don't think he'll ever average more than around 14/5/4 or so. I think he's a bench player.

mrpibb
02-05-2012, 12:32 AM
I don't think he'll ever average more than around 14/5/4 or so. I think he's a bench player.

You know he's 21, right? You think he'll only improve by five points, two rebounds, and an assist?

ALBballer
02-05-2012, 12:37 AM
A more athletic Mike Miller is a great comparison IMO.

I don't think Hayward is nearly the shooter Miller is especially from the 3 point line.

I can't really think of a great comparison. Mike Dunleavy Jr.? Similar all around skill set.

hawksdogsbraves
02-05-2012, 12:40 AM
You know he's 21, right? You think he'll only improve by five points, two rebounds, and an assist?

Yep sounds about right. His ceiling is limited by his lack of elite athleticism and slow foot speed. He'll score more if he improves his outside shot and will increase his assists and rebounds with experience, but I don't see him as anything more than a role player. His defense is pretty bad too.

fubu05
02-05-2012, 01:08 AM
Personally... he reminds me of a Paul Pierce type player with a rawer offensive game :confusedshrug:

TylerOO
02-05-2012, 01:19 AM
He sucks. Next Dunleavy At Best

El Kabong
02-05-2012, 01:58 AM
That's a bad thing? He was good his first 3 years in Indiana, especially the 07-08 season.

LosBulls
02-05-2012, 01:59 AM
Wally Szczerbiak

FireDavidKahn
02-05-2012, 01:59 AM
Meh. I don't think he is going to produce much more than what he is right now aside from a higher FG% which should lead to more PPG.

Court Vision
02-05-2012, 02:03 AM

If that.

Iggy? Wally? :roll:

Xiao Yao You
02-05-2012, 02:07 AM
Like Hedo maybe?

El Kabong
02-05-2012, 02:11 AM
I don't see these Wally Z/Dunleavy comparisons as a terrible thing. I don't think anyone expected him to turn into some sort of superstar, but a solid starter who's your number 3 or 4 guy, what's wrong with that? Teams need guys like that, Hornacek was the #3 guy for the Jazz, yet I don't hear people calling him shit.

Pushxx
02-05-2012, 02:11 AM
His ceiling: Prime Hedo
Realistic potential: Current Hedo

AMISTILLILL
02-05-2012, 02:12 AM
His ceiling: Prime Hedo
Realistic potential: Current Hedo

:lol

ILLsmak
02-05-2012, 02:13 AM
People were shitting on this pick, but I think it was a good one. Is he the kind of guy who can be a star? No. But he can be a good role player. He is a real winner and a smart kid who is clutch.

You can take someone like Tyreke Evans and all of his talent and say who would you rather have on your team, and it's pretty easily Gordon. So, he's definitely a capable starter on a championship winning team.

That's a great ceiling, to me.

-Smak

G-train
02-05-2012, 02:13 AM
It wouldn't be a stretch to say that most of the posters in this thread haven't seen him play more than once.

El Kabong
02-05-2012, 02:16 AM
People were shitting on this pick, but I think it was a good one. Is he the kind of guy who can be a star? No. But he can be a good role player. He is a real winner and a smart kid who is clutch.

You can take someone like Tyreke Evans and all of his talent and say who would you rather have on your team, and it's pretty easily Gordon. So, he's definitely a capable starter on a championship winning team.

-Smak
Exactly right. Seems most people have a superstar or bust mentality about players, especially lottery picks.

hawksdogsbraves
02-05-2012, 02:19 AM

-Smak

Uh no it's not. Tyreke is not the kind of guy you want on your team because he has to have the ball in his hands to be successful, but he is much, much more talented than Hayward and I think you could make something out of him with some actual competent coaching.

Getting a fringe starter/decent bench player at number 9 overall is decent value I suppose.

DMV2
02-05-2012, 02:19 AM
He's one of the better perimeter defenders in the league and he's only a sophomore. And you can tell he takes pride in playing defense- can't get that from many players.

Offensively, he has good handles and likes cutting through paint and move without the ball. Unfortunately, he's not a good finisher and can't shoot well.

His biggest weakness is that he can get rattled and frustrated easily if he's having an off-night. Like the game against Toronto two weeks ago. He was just awful that night.

Xiao Yao You
02-05-2012, 02:21 AM
I don't see these Wally Z/Dunleavy comparisons as a terrible thing.

Me either.

I don't think anyone expected him to turn into some sort of superstar, but a solid starter who's your number 3 or 4 guy, what's wrong with that?

I think many did just because the Jazz haven't had many picks that high for a long time.

Teams need guys like that, Hornacek was the #3 guy for the Jazz, yet I don't hear people calling him shit.

But the Jazz need stars so maybe George would have been a better pick? Aldrich was the one everyone was wanting at the time though and he hasn't shown much yet.

Hayward is a player and a good fit in Utah. How much he matures physically and as a player remains to be seen.

Xiao Yao You
02-05-2012, 02:24 AM
can't shoot well

He showed otherwise at the end of last year.

His biggest weakness is that he can get rattled and frustrated easily if he's having an off-night. Like the game against Toronto two weeks ago. He was just awful that night.

But he still had 7 rbds 3 ass 2 stls and a blk in that one. Even when he's struggled with his shot he does other things. Sign of a good player.

El Kabong
02-05-2012, 02:27 AM
Me either.

I think many did just because the Jazz haven't had many picks that high for a long time.

But the Jazz need stars so maybe George would have been a better pick? Aldrich was the one everyone was wanting at the time though and he hasn't shown much yet.

Hayward is a player and a good fit in Utah. How much he matures physically and as a player remains to be seen.
Jazz need stars, but it's not like he's their only young guy. I think most people are hitching their wagon on Favors and Kanter to be the "stars" of the future, while Hayward and Burks are the other solid guys in the starting lineup.

Yes, I was on the Aldrich wagon before the draft, but I believe that was pre-Jefferson trade and before Favors was on the team. Looking back now it would have been a big mistake to take him.

Xiao Yao You
02-05-2012, 02:37 AM
Jazz need stars, but it's not like he's their only young guy. I think most people are hitching their wagon on Favors and Kanter to be the "stars" of the future, while Hayward and Burks are the other solid guys in the starting lineup.

Burks looks like the one with the most star potential to me even if he was the lowest pick of the 4. Needs to learn how to play with his teammates. Just needs experience.

Yes, I was on the Aldrich wagon before the draft, but I believe that was pre-Jefferson trade and before Favors was on the team. Looking back now it would have been a big mistake to take him.

Now that they have Kanter and Favors and he hasn't shown anything sure. But if they had him they might have Brandon Knight instead of Kanter. Too early to say other than Hayward does fit well in Utah especially with Hornacek around now to teach him how to play in that offense.

joshwake
02-05-2012, 03:28 AM
Yep sounds about right. His ceiling is limited by his lack of elite athleticism and slow foot speed. He'll score more if he improves his outside shot and will increase his assists and rebounds with experience, but I don't see him as anything more than a role player. His defense is pretty bad too.
sounds like another person just making assumptions because he is white. I love the ppl who say he is not athletic. Almost as funny as guys sizing him up on the court and thinking "I can take this goofy white boy" then he blocks their shot.

He is plenty athletic, not elite no, but he has a very very high bbal IQ and he is an excellent passer and is developing into a solid defender. He is already a very good shooter, but is lacking consistency and confidence, which will come. He needs to work a bit on the 3 ball, the jazz desperately need more outside shooting.

I would guess his ceiling is 3-5 year all star.

hawksdogsbraves
02-05-2012, 03:42 AM
sounds like another person just making assumptions because he is white. I love the ppl who say he is not athletic. Almost as funny as guys sizing him up on the court and thinking "I can take this goofy white boy" then he blocks their shot.

He is plenty athletic, not elite no, but he has a very very high bbal IQ and he is an excellent passer and is developing into a solid defender. He is already a very good shooter, but is lacking consistency and confidence, which will come. He needs to work a bit on the 3 ball, the jazz desperately need more outside shooting.

I would guess his ceiling is 3-5 year all star.

Uhh he's not particularly athletic. Have you seen him play? I'm not the one comparing him to Mike Miller just because he's white, the guy isn't a good shooter.

Honestly he reminds me of a slightly worse Evan Turner more than anything.

I don't think anyone other than extreme Jazz homers think he'll develop into a 3-5 year all star player, he just isn't talented enough. Decent role player, probably just a good bench player. Think a slightly worse Marvin Williams.

Xiao Yao You
02-05-2012, 03:52 AM
the guy isn't a good shooter.

He shot 47% from 3 last year including 52% in March and 57% in April. I think he'll be fine as far as that goes. He needs to get stronger and be more aggressive. He's in an offense well suited to his skills which is a big plus too.

bdreason
02-05-2012, 03:56 AM
It's funny how almost everyone compares him to another white guy. He kind of reminds me of Lamar Odom.

Shows some great speed and athleticism on this finish.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-_ihP78mkY

The white Lamar Odom?!?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGggGD-l34I

bdreason
02-05-2012, 03:58 AM
And he's definitely more athletic than people give him credit for. Although I don't feel he's a great defender like many have said in this thread. He's got good length, but his lateral movement isn't spectacular.

Xiao Yao You
02-05-2012, 03:59 AM
I compared him to a Turk which isn't quite the same as a white guy. Odom's a pretty good comparison too.

hawksdogsbraves
02-05-2012, 03:59 AM
He shot 47% from 3 last year including 52% in March and 57% in April. I think he'll be fine as far as that goes. He needs to get stronger and be more aggressive. He's in an offense well suited to his skills which is a big plus too.

Yeah and he's 14-53 this year from deep. His mid range game hasn't been very good either.

I'm not saying he's a bad player but there is no all star game in his future.

Xiao Yao You
02-05-2012, 04:05 AM
Yeah he's struggling right now but anyone that has put up numbers like he did last year can shoot.

G-train
02-05-2012, 04:11 AM
His athletic ability is far from a weakness.
He is simply an increase in consistency away from being a great starter.

brisbaneman
02-05-2012, 04:13 AM
He is a handsome young man and I think he can becum an all star.

fos
02-05-2012, 04:26 AM
He is a handsome young man and I think he can becum an all star.

He's soooooooo dreamy. Yes Homo.

Sakkreth
02-05-2012, 06:30 AM
I'd say diamond league, maybe maybe masters, but doubt it, dude has no shot at grandmaster's league.

kumquat
02-05-2012, 06:47 AM
He's been pretty mediocre the times i've seen him play the Blazers. Not starting material yet.

He's the type of player that reminds me there are too many teams in the league.

Blue&Orange
02-05-2012, 11:13 AM
I got to say i was expecting him to be a lot better by now.

TaLvsCuaL
02-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Past prime Marion.

FKAri
02-05-2012, 03:26 PM
I'd say diamond league, maybe maybe masters, but doubt it, dude has no shot at grandmaster's league.

Code S talent. But cuz he's white he'll be ignored.

Whoah10115
02-05-2012, 03:27 PM
The guy is a good player. Utah has a star in Burks. They also have one in Favors. Then they have a legit, all-star caliber PF in Millsap, and they have Jefferson, who I always thought was over-criticized and under-appreciated.

Uh no it's not. Tyreke is not the kind of guy you want on your team because he has to have the ball in his hands to be successful, but he is much, much more talented than Hayward and I think you could make something out of him with some actual competent coaching.

Problem with guys like that is that, while they're amongst the most talented, they're not necessarily amongst the most elite talented, so they immediately limit themselves...mostly tho, because GM's are very bad. A guy like him should play alongside someone like Dwight Howard. Not to mention a combo style PG.

kurple
02-05-2012, 04:04 PM
17, 4.5, 4.5

brwnman
02-05-2012, 04:25 PM
A mix Trenton Hassell and Grant Hill of two years ago. A do it all kind of player, but not great at any one thing...

Dasher
02-05-2012, 04:39 PM
He's athletic, and has solid handles. The shooting stroke that he showed his freshman year in college has yet to return. It may be a safe bet to say that his shooting that year was a fluke, so comparing him to dead-eye shooters like Wally Z and Mike Miller seems to be a skin color based biased assessment. At the moment he is a solid defender and good passer. I think he ceiling is Trevor Ariza. If his shooting miraculously improves then I can see his ceiling being raised to Shane Battier levels.

Xiao Yao You
02-05-2012, 08:10 PM
The shooting stroke that he showed his freshman year in college has yet to return. It may be a safe bet to say that his shooting that year was a fluke,

Last year was a mirage?

Dasher
02-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Last year was a mirage?
Small sample size, so yes it does seem to be a mirage. He's taken almost as many 3s this year as he did last year, and his percentage is putrid. Shooters can get streaky, but they eventually regress to the mean.

ILLsmak
02-06-2012, 10:54 AM

Getting a fringe starter/decent bench player at number 9 overall is decent value I suppose.

lol, nobody is gonna coach Tyreke into having the bball IQ of Hayward. Nor will he ever have a better shot.

I don't think he's a fringe starter. I think he is a starter on a winning team.

There are many players who you might consider scrubs that are important to winning. Give me the player who fits.

-Smak

SilkkTheShocker
02-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Not trolling, but would Utah have selected him still if he wasn't white?

RRR3
02-06-2012, 11:22 AM
He's athletic, and has solid handles. The shooting stroke that he showed his freshman year in college has yet to return. It may be a safe bet to say that his shooting that year was a fluke, so comparing him to dead-eye shooters like Wally Z and Mike Miller seems to be a skin color based biased assessment. At the moment he is a solid defender and good passer. I think he ceiling is Trevor Ariza. If his shooting miraculously improves then I can see his ceiling being raised to Shane Battier levels.
Wally Z was an all-star and Mike Miller is far from just a shooter (good rebounder, passer and solid defender) and has had years where he played like an all-star (he scored about 20 a game for the Grizzlies IIRC). Also, weird thing about Hayward...

First year in College: 44.8% from three
Second year: 29.4%

First year in NBA: 47.3% from three
Second year so far: 25.9%

Xiao Yao You
02-06-2012, 11:27 AM
it does seem to be a mirage

Too early to say.

irondarts
02-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Not trolling, but would Utah have selected him still if he wasn't white?
He probably would've been selected higher. har har.

BarberSchool
02-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Past prime Marion.Best comparison yet imho. He's a good transition player who would be best on a team like Phoenix. Not as well suited to the half court game.

AMISTILLILL
02-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Best comparison yet imho. He's a good transition player who would be best on a team like Phoenix. Not as well suited to the half court game.

Yeah, I dig that comparison as well.

TylerOO
04-12-2012, 05:25 PM

I feel like an idiot now lol. This kid has been playing great past couole months.

Xiao Yao You
04-12-2012, 11:47 PM
His game, like Millsap's is tailor made for the Jazz and they are the two guys they need to build around right now. Trading Millsap is laughable. They'd have a hard time finding anyone better suited for their system. Gordon needs to become more consistent from 3 but even if he never gets that shot down he can live in the mid range in Utah's system. I could even see him playing some stretch 4 as he matures. Hopefully Burks can develop like he is. Burks has the skill set for the Jazz. His mind set is more like Harris' right now though but he has shown some progress. Kanter also appears to have the skillset for the Jazz. Inside/out, setting screens, playing physical D, etc. Favors still has a lot to prove as much as everyone wants to throw Millsap on the bench or to another team so he can play.

Whoah10115
04-13-2012, 12:35 AM
His game, like Millsap's is tailor made for the Jazz and they are the two guys they need to build around right now. Trading Millsap is laughable. They'd have a hard time finding anyone better suited for their system. Gordon needs to become more consistent from 3 but even if he never gets that shot down he can live in the mid range in Utah's system. I could even see him playing some stretch 4 as he matures. Hopefully Burks can develop like he is. Burks has the skill set for the Jazz. His mind set is more like Harris' right now though but he has shown some progress. Kanter also appears to have the skillset for the Jazz. Inside/out, setting screens, playing physical D, etc. Favors still has a lot to prove as much as everyone wants to throw Millsap on the bench or to another team so he can play.

Well, if Favors is the direction they want to go (and I think a lot depends on if he's really as good at C as he is at PF) then he has to get some play. But I agree with you, Millsap should be the guy at PF. Of course, in a year, anything can happen. Millsap expires in a year. I wouldn't trade him. Much will depend on the progress Favors makes in the next year. But if Kanter is the guy they want to proceed with, at center, then I would consider trading Favors (if I I could package him and had a shot at a big-time PG).

But whatever. The only thing they really have to do is trade Al Jefferson and I believe they really have to trade Al Jefferson. I don't know who they go after, but I think they have to trade him.

If I'm Sacramento and I don't get the #1 pick, I'd try to trade for Derrick Favors.

magnax1
04-13-2012, 12:43 AM
I'd rather them Trade Kanter then Jefferson. Jefferson is just to vital to their offense to give up at this point. Kanter doesn't look like he's going to develop into much as an offensive player. They really should wait at least one season before moving anyone though.
I don't see a Marion comparison in any way. Marions biggest weakness was his passing, and his greatest strengths were Defense and rebounding. That is the complete opposite of Hayward.

ralph_i_el
04-13-2012, 12:46 AM
18-5-5 and an allstar appearance

reminds me of a poor mans Pierce. Pretty much your standard "do-it-all" SF

hawkfan
04-13-2012, 12:52 AM
He's currently averaging 9.6 PPG, 3.2 RPG and 3.3 APG. He's shown a lot of growth since last season and is an important piece of that young Jazz core. What players do you think his peak will be comparable to?

Jeff Hornacek part 2.

fubu05
04-13-2012, 01:00 AM
People are seriously not giving this dude enough credit. He is incredibly crafty, reminds me of an Andre Miller / Manu Ginobili type player. I could definitely see him getting 17pts, 6 boards, 5 assists. He's a guy who doesn't need elite athleticism because of how under control and smart he plays. Solid pick by the Jazz.

Iggy comparisons are not right at all IMO. Hayward is a player who relies on a lot of skill, and very little athleticism, Iggy is not one of those players.

Xiao Yao You
04-13-2012, 01:57 AM
I think a lot depends on if he's really as good at C as he is at PF

Offensively it doesn't matter in Utah. Defensively it would depend on match-ups.

Millsap should be the guy at PF.

He should be their PF or SF depending on where they can best take advantage of the mismatch like they've finally shown recently.

Of course, in a year, anything can happen. Millsap expires in a year. I wouldn't trade him.

If they are smart they are trying to extend his deal this summer)frontloaded preferably) before he gets overpaid next summer. He'll be hard to replace. Only way I can see trading him is if they can't sign him to an extension and he gets overpaid.

Much will depend on the progress Favors makes in the next year. But if Kanter is the guy they want to proceed with, at center, then I would consider trading Favors (if I I could package him and had a shot at a big-time PG).

No reason they can't all play. Millsap is showing he can play the 3. Jefferson is the one that has to go. The sooner the better so they can start moving forward.

If I'm Sacramento and I don't get the #1 pick, I'd try to trade for Derrick Favors.

He might have already been offered to them? Jazz wanted Cousins supposedly when the whole Westphal thing happened. Who else would the Jazz want on that team other than maybe Jimmer?

I'd rather them Trade Kanter then Jefferson. Jefferson is just to vital to their offense to give up at this point.

Their offense looks a lot better when he's been out. He and Harris bring everything to a standstill. G and Millsap are the guys the offense needs to revolve around right now.

Kanter doesn't look like he's going to develop into much as an offensive player.

I beg to differ. Sounds like he's been a perimeter player before this year. He's getting better and better in the post. Only thing he appears to be lacking down low is being able to explode to the rim. I like the Ruland comparison. If he's even close to him he's way to go to trade. Right now at minimum he looks like a dominating rebounder, a physical defensive presence, a nice shooting touch away from the basket with post moves and a willing screener.

They really should wait at least one season before moving anyone though.

Harris and Jefferson need to go as soon as possible to open up salary space or bring in players that fit better with Millsap and G. I wouldn't give up on any of the kids yet. Favors has the most to prove still in my mind as far as fitting in to what the Jazz do.

I don't see a Marion comparison in any way. Marions biggest weakness was his passing, and his greatest strengths were Defense and rebounding. That is the complete opposite of Hayward.

He's not showing any weaknesses of late other than his long range shooting and he can be a star in Utah even if he never does that consistently. As he matures he could be scary doing it all from maybe 4 positions on the floor.

Hayward is a player who relies on a lot of skill, and very little athleticism

He's pretty athletic. A smarter more well rounded less athletic AK is what I'm seeing of late.

lakers87
04-13-2012, 02:00 AM
I loved the guys game in college and I think his rookie year vs the Lakers when he went off.

Very heady for a young player mixed in with deceptive athleticism.

I think a Tayshaun Prince, with much better offense, and less defense. Important cog that a title contending team will need.

Xiao Yao You
04-13-2012, 02:03 AM
Prince is a pretty good comparison. Hopefully his game gets better in the post season like his did.

lakers87
04-13-2012, 02:09 AM
Prince is a pretty good comparison. Hopefully his game gets better in the post season like his did.

Hayward doesn't seem like the type who will shy away when the light gets brighter, but who knows, right?

UtahJazzFan88
04-13-2012, 02:12 AM
I'd rather them Trade Kanter then Jefferson. Jefferson is just to vital to their offense to give up at this point. Kanter doesn't look like he's going to develop into much as an offensive player. They really should wait at least one season before moving anyone though.

Guy started playing competitive ball at 14. Doesn't have any basketball game experience compared to other guys in the NBA. Basically coming straight out of high school you can't expect much out of him, and in March and April he's tiring out and fatigued because he hasn't played this much basketball.

magnax1
04-13-2012, 02:15 AM
Their offense looks a lot better when he's been out. He and Harris bring everything to a standstill. G and Millsap are the guys the offense needs to revolve around right now.

I couldn't disagree more. Against good teams, when Jefferson goes out their offense falls apart.

Xiao Yao You
04-13-2012, 02:28 AM
Hayward doesn't seem like the type who will shy away when the light gets brighter, but who knows, right?

He stepped up in college. Prince stepped up as a rookie in the playoffs. He definitely was a big time player.

Against good teams, when Jefferson goes out their offense falls apart.

A better pg will certainly help. Millsap is definitely better when they are running the offense through him and Hayward(and Tinsley) and not Jefferson and Harris.

Whoah10115
04-13-2012, 11:46 AM

I think you have to trade Jefferson, but Kanter is never going to be a great offensive player. Maybe you could turn him for Gortat and then sign Nash. Maybe that's a bit much, but possible.

Whoah10115
04-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Offensively it doesn't matter in Utah. Defensively it would depend on match-ups.

He should be their PF or SF depending on where they can best take advantage of the mismatch like they've finally shown recently.

No reason they can't all play. Millsap is showing he can play the 3. Jefferson is the one that has to go. The sooner the better so they can start moving forward.

He might have already been offered to them? Jazz wanted Cousins supposedly when the whole Westphal thing happened. Who else would the Jazz want on that team other than maybe Jimmer?

I beg to differ. Sounds like he's been a perimeter player before this year. He's getting better and better in the post. Only thing he appears to be lacking down low is being able to explode to the rim. I like the Ruland comparison. If he's even close to him he's way to go to trade. Right now at minimum he looks like a dominating rebounder, a physical defensive presence, a nice shooting touch away from the basket with post moves and a willing screener.

He's pretty athletic. A smarter more well rounded less athletic AK is what I'm seeing of late.

Hayward is a leaper, so I don't get why people think he isn't athletic (yes I do).

But on Kanter...he was never a perimeter player. That's been the talk about him. He likes to run the lane, fill the lane, and he likes to play physical. He has no skill for a perimeter game. I think I heard he's a good passer, tho we've yet to see. But he's a guy who sets a lot of screens, a lot of picks. He's a great rebounder and a tough defender, tho he's not a great shot-blocker (at least not yet). To be honest, he looks more like a PF than he does a C and that's without considering his height and length. But he's far from a core player right now.

When I say Sacramento should want Favors, I mean to put alongside Cousins. They'd be stupid to trade Cousins. If they don't get the 1st pick, I'd be interested in even trading it for Derrick Favors.

And again, I strongly disagree on Millsap. He can play the 3, but he's not a 3. He needs to take advantage of his athleticism, his handles, and his style of play and play at the 3. If you put him at the 3 he's not going to be nearly as effective. And Hayward is better at the 3 than the 2. And Burks cannot be a starting or backup PG. He can run it for stretches, at most. That lineup would struggle.

Xiao Yao You
04-14-2012, 07:30 AM
I think you have to trade Jefferson, but Kanter is never going to be a great offensive player. Maybe you could turn him for Gortat and then sign Nash. Maybe that's a bit much, but possible.

Can't see trading him. He's the youngest guy in the league and just going to get better. He could be a force at the offensive end. Already is at the other end and on the boards and is a willing screen setter which is a must in Utah. I'd trade Favors before him as things stand now.

He has no skill for a perimeter game.

They said he was a perimeter player but they were force feeding him in the low post first before they let him go to the outside which they are starting to do recently and he has a nice touch like you'd expect from a European. Don't need another one dimensional Turk like they had in Okur.

, tho he's not a great shot-blocker

Probably won't be.

(at least not yet). To be honest, he looks more like a PF than he does a C and that's without considering his height and length.

He considers himself a PF. Again in the Jazz offense they're the same position. He's the guy that's going to be matched up against the biggest most physical player on the other team. He's like a brick wall.

But he's far from a core player right now.

Right now I'd say only Millsap and Hayward are for certain. Hopefully they lock Paul up this of season. Kanter appears to have the skill set to thrive in Utah. Just a matter of time.

When I say Sacramento should want Favors, I mean to put alongside Cousins. They'd be stupid to trade Cousins. If they don't get the 1st pick, I'd be interested in even trading it for Derrick Favors.

I assumed that's what you meant. Trading Cousins isn't necessarily stupid if you get talent back that's not a head case like he is. Unless the Jazz can get someone better than the 4 young guys they got which is questionable I don't know why they'd want to trade for the pick. Sounds like the pg's they should want they can get further down the draft. Favors is the guy I'd see trading right now of the 4 though. If they could get Wall or Rondo or someone of that caliber they'd certainly have to seriously consider it.

And again, I strongly disagree on Millsap. He can play the 3, but he's not a 3. He needs to take advantage of his athleticism, his handles, and his style of play and play at the 3. If you put him at the 3 he's not going to be nearly as effective.

He's been out muscling guys at the 3 and causing all sorts of problems. You put him where you can take best advantage of the mismatch rather it's at the 3 or 4.

And Hayward is better at the 3 than the 2.

Again it's pretty much the same position in Utah offensively. Comes down to defensive match-ups and physically he's probably better suited to the 2 right now til he fills out more. I could see him playing some 4 possibly in the future when he matures.

And Burks cannot be a starting or backup PG. He can run it for stretches, at most. That lineup would struggle.

After Tinsley, Hayward is their best point so if you had him and Burks and Millsap in there with a scoring, non-traditional Jazz point guard like the guy from Weber State I could see it working. They all have multiple skills which is what you need in their offense. Burks and Hayward were both point guards before they grew but Burks certainly has a long ways to go just fitting his game into the Jazz system as a wing player before they worry about him playing any point.