PDA

View Full Version : Seattle trying to get an NBA team back in town

OKCThunderUP
02-05-2012, 02:11 AM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/05/seattle-officials-are-moving-on-bringing-an-nba-team-back-to-seattle-by-fall-and-the-kings-are-being-discussed/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

[quote]There have been better separations of cities from teams. But the move of the Seattle Supersonics from Seattle to become the Oklahoma City Thunder remains the worst in the history of the NBA. It

LaysUpBricks
02-05-2012, 02:14 AM
Kings are always an obvious target. But if they get the arena plan passed (which has more supporters than naysayers) then they stay in Sac. Not sure who else could possibly move besides the Hornets.

QuebecBaller
02-05-2012, 02:15 AM
They're also trying to get a NHL team, so with two professional teams, it will be easier to build a new arena

Boston C's
02-05-2012, 02:19 AM
I hope it happens... just sucks that the thunder get to keep our history and wat not... hope the new look sonics (if we get them) can still sport those sick green and gold jerseys that we all love and not some crappy ones

OKCThunderUP
02-05-2012, 02:20 AM
I hope it happens... just sucks that the thunder get to keep our history and wat not... hope the new look sonics (if we get them) can still sport those sick green and gold jerseys that we all love and not some crappy ones

I think Seattle has until the end of this year to establish a franchise and, if they do, they take all their history back with them. At least I think that's right...

RoseCity07
02-05-2012, 02:22 AM
How about OKC gives back the "Thunder" to Seattle and then they take the Kings. Then we'll see how many fans show up to games in OKC. They didn't wait through years of losing like Seattle did. The deserve to start out with Cousins and Evans.

OKCThunderUP
02-05-2012, 02:25 AM
How about OKC gives back the "Thunder" to Seattle and then they take the Kings. Then we'll see how many fans show up to games in OKC. They didn't wait through years of losing like Seattle did. The deserve to start out with Cousins and Evans.

How about you jackasses stop blaming the fans for what went down and direct your anger to Stern and Bennett? Jesus.

Edit: And can we please not turn this into a Seattle vs OKC thread? It'd more fun to look at the rivalry the two teams will automatically create with a new franchise in Seattle. Imagine how raucus the fans will be when the Thunder visit.

Fiasco
02-05-2012, 02:27 AM
Seattle getting a team before Vancouver.... :facepalm

Lakers Legend#32
02-05-2012, 05:14 AM
Sorry OKC, even if Seattle gets a new team, it will not clear your dirty concious for how you stole our team.

mrpibb
02-05-2012, 05:15 AM

**** Canada. :oldlol:

Zenji
02-05-2012, 07:27 AM
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo8hg2m2Ik1qk2acyo1_500.gif

Fiasco
02-05-2012, 08:26 AM
**** Canada. :oldlol:

You know you want to live here.

Zenji
02-05-2012, 08:27 AM
You know you want to live here.

No.

ROCSteady
02-05-2012, 08:53 AM
As good as the team and fans are, the Thunder still have the lamest name and logo in all of sports. Everytime I go to the domestic cleaning aisle in the grocery store I half expect to see their logo next to the Tide and Bounty

OmniStrife
02-05-2012, 09:27 AM
As good as the team and fans are, the Thunder still have the lamest name and logo in all of sports. Everytime I go to the domestic cleaning aisle in the grocery store I half expect to see their logo next to the Tide and Bounty
:roll:
so true. repped

Man I plan on moving to Vancouver in a few years, I wish they'll get a team by then.

Derka
02-05-2012, 09:32 AM
How about you jackasses stop blaming the fans for what went down and direct your anger to Stern and Bennett? Jesus.

This.

The NBA fans in Oklahoma City did nothing to deserve being targets of a rightfully bitter Seattle fan base. The rich guys who jacked the team out from under you are the ones who deserve it. Business assholes who deserve a beating in the streets.

OmniStrife
02-05-2012, 09:36 AM
This.

The NBA fans in Oklahoma City did nothing to deserve being targets of a rightfully bitter Seattle fan base. The rich whites guys who jacked the team out from under you are the ones who deserve it. White business assholes who deserve a beating in the streets.
Thanks... I didn't know they were whites.

:facepalm

Derka
02-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Thanks... I didn't know they were whites.

:hammertime: There, I fixed it for your PC sensibilities.

niko
02-05-2012, 09:45 AM
:roll:
so true. repped

Man I plan on moving to Vancouver in a few years, I wish they'll get a team by then.
City is nice. SO many chinese. (not that its bad :lol ). The problem was it was far, and had a perecption issue, which dumbass steve francis did not help.

Yung D-Will
02-05-2012, 09:47 AM
So would they be allowed to retired Payton and Kemp's jersey?

Fiasco
02-05-2012, 10:53 AM

Drinks on me when you do.

City is nice. SO many chinese. (not that its bad :lol ). The problem was it was far, and had a perecption issue, which dumbass steve francis did not help.

#3 most livable city in the world. Franchise was an idiot, but Vancouver wasn't all that great in the 90s to be honest. Changed a ton now. Olympics did a lot of good for us. Losing in the Cup Finals... not so much. Biggest problem was the currency exchange rate... but it's fine now. We have an NBA ready arena and an owner that wants to buy the Hornets.

wtf are you waiting for, STERN

mentallooser
02-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Damnit, I want my VA team. We'll never get one:(

Harrison_Barnes
02-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Drinks on me when you do.

#3 most livable city in the world. Franchise was an idiot, but Vancouver wasn't all that great in the 90s to be honest. Changed a ton now. Olympics did a lot of good for us. Losing in the Cup Finals... not so much. Biggest problem was the currency exchange rate... but it's fine now. We have an NBA ready arena and an owner that wants to buy the Hornets.

wtf are you waiting for, STERN

I really hope they get a team back. It will be interesting to see what the name would be though since Memphis has the "Grizzlies" now. :confusedshrug:

Burgz
02-05-2012, 12:02 PM
while i would love for Seattle to get their team back, it'll never be the same

all records, including regular season wins, post season wins etc. are the Thunder's to hold which is unfortunate

Sacramento losing their team does nothing to solve the problem here

i think it would be irresponsible of the NBA to allow a move to happen right now, and i think David Stern knows this. It'll be at least 2 or 3 years before we see basketball back in Seattle imo

Burgz
02-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Vancouver is not getting a team anytime soon

it's just wishful thinking

No team in Kansas

No team in Missouri

but a team in Vancouver? no they tried that and it failed

Rekindled
02-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Vancouver is not getting a team anytime soon

it's just wishful thinking

No team in Kansas

No team in Missouri

No team in Tennessee

but a team in Vancouver? no they tried that and it failed

grizzlies??

Rekindled
02-05-2012, 12:36 PM
btw rather have hornets move there, contract the kings and bobcats.

Burgz
02-05-2012, 12:44 PM
grizzlies??

edited.

im so ashamed

Walker
02-05-2012, 12:52 PM

all records, including regular season wins, post season wins etc. are the Thunder's to hold which is unfortunate

i think it would be irresponsible of the NBA to allow a move to happen right now, and i think David Stern knows this. It'll be at least 2 or 3 years before we see basketball back in Seattle imo
Actually the city of Seattle has all the rights to the previous Sonics team accomplishments provided there is actually a team there.

The logical thing is for the Hornets to become Seattle Supersonics and Charlotte reclaim the Hornets name.

Pra
02-05-2012, 12:59 PM

Agreed... :cheers:

Burgz
02-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Actually the city of Seattle has all the rights to the previous Sonics team accomplishments provided there is actually a team there.

The logical thing is for the Hornets to become Seattle Supersonics and Charlotte reclaim the Hornets name.

so then why don't the Timberwolves have any championships :confusedshrug:

Maniak
02-05-2012, 01:31 PM
I don't support the fact your title is #lobcity and your avatar is the Lakers, but I support this.

Walker
02-05-2012, 01:32 PM
so then why don't the Timberwolves have any championships :confusedshrug:
It was a part of that relocation deal. It's not the NBA standard.

Whoah10115
02-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Not quite sure how Seattle getting a team before Vancouver is a facepalm.

What was Vancouver's situation? I don't remember how well-supported the Grizzlies were while they were in Vancouver.

New Orleans does have good fans tho. You could make the case that there are a lot of teams in that area tho, and that the Hornets aren't necessary in New Orleans, tho it always seems unfair to lose a team.

CLTHornets4eva
02-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Charlotte losing the Hornets was just as bad of a move after leading the league in attendance throughout the 90's.

CLTHornets4eva
02-05-2012, 03:08 PM

Why the bobcats? We are 15th in attendance, while being the worst team in the league, yet we've never had the product to build a true "bobcats" fanbase. We lead the league throughout the 90's also. Removing the only team in perhaps the largest basketball state? Shame on you.

:hammerhead:

JohnnyWall
02-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Why the bobcats? We are 15th in attendance, while being the worst team in the league, yet we've never had the product to build a true "bobcats" fanbase. We lead the league throughout the 90's also. Removing the only team in perhaps the largest basketball state? Shame on you.

:hammerhead:

Nobody really cares about any of the Carolina states.

CLTHornets4eva
02-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Nobody really cares about any of the Carolina states.

John Wall is from "the Carolina states".

iDunk
02-05-2012, 03:27 PM
So wait, would this mean that an expansion draft would happen? Always interesting to see how those turn out.

BlueandGold
02-05-2012, 03:29 PM
So they'll still be called the supersonics, right?

DStebb716
02-05-2012, 03:30 PM
So wait, would this mean that an expansion draft would happen? Always interesting to see how those turn out.

Naw. Plan is for it to be a relocation.

DStebb716
02-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Imagine if they were able to "acquire" the Hornets? You'll get a team with two lottery picks, Eric Gordon (if you can extend him) and a lot of cap flexibility. And I think a lot of players (including Seattle-born players) would love to sign there.

Mavsman22
02-05-2012, 03:34 PM

I feel you there.

Cowboy Thunder
02-05-2012, 03:36 PM
I always laugh when I walk by the Seattle Supersonic memorabilia display booth inside the OKC Chesapeake Energy Arena. It's a blatant crime, but :lol it makes me feel tingly inside knowing the Thunder have a NBA Championship in '79

lpublic_enemyl
02-05-2012, 03:37 PM
if they do they better be the super sonics

CLTHornets4eva
02-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Imagine if they were able to "acquire" the Hornets? You'll get a team with two lottery picks, Eric Gordon (if you can extend him) and a lot of cap flexibility. And I think a lot of players (including Seattle-born players) would love to sign there.

Yeah I think Sacramento deserves the Kings. They were successful in the past and it woud be a knee jerk reaction to move them after a couple poor teams/seasons. I think the New Orleans market is too small to support a team and the intrest was largely due to the team being good and having Chris Paul. Hornets and Sonics shouldn't have moved a decade ago and if Bennett wanted a team in OKC he should have gone up against Kansas City, maybe Louisville and Norfolk for an expansion team. Its really crazy that KC doesn't have a team with the Sprint center. Its nicer than 80% of the arenas in the NBA.

Meticode
02-05-2012, 03:41 PM
I don't mind the Thunder as a name, but I hate the logo...

I would've perferred these instead...

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm168/cocajunasylum/OklahomaCityThunderConcept1.png

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm168/cocajunasylum/OklahomaCityThunderConceptUniforms.png

Whoah10115
02-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Those Thunder uniforms above are really good...quality logo.

The Nets, if not co-owned by Mr. H.O.V.A., would have seemed a good choice to move. The Nets didn't have sell-outs while going to the Finals in back-to-back years. Most people in NJ don't root for the Nets. Now, they're heading to Brooklyn. Of course, New York can handle two teams, especially with the Nets in Brooklyn...but they'd seem a prime candidate if not for Jay-Z.

talkingconch
02-05-2012, 04:01 PM
I don't mind the Thunder as a name, but I hate the logo...

I would've perferred these instead...

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm168/cocajunasylum/OklahomaCityThunderConcept1.png

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm168/cocajunasylum/OklahomaCityThunderConceptUniforms.png
Those are sick. They should email that to OKC FO or some shit

CLTHornets4eva
02-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Those are sick. They should email that to OKC FO or some shit

I like the logo. I don't like the colors or the numbers on the jerseys, but the quality is great.

OKCThunderUP
02-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Those are cool but I like these better:
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6848397#post6848397

DukeDelonte13
02-05-2012, 05:21 PM

Every Browns fans' reaction to the new Ravens stuff... :oldlol:

Meticode
02-05-2012, 05:30 PM
I like the logo. I don't like the colors or the numbers on the jerseys, but the quality is great.
I personally love the colors. No one has brown in the NBA right? So if the Thunder take a shit on someone, they almost literally will look like shit.

Meticode
02-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Those are cool but I like these better:
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6848397#post6848397
Those are nice.

B
02-05-2012, 06:44 PM
So are all the Sonics fans who spent years bemoaning the loss of the Sonics to OKC even going as far as making a movie called Sonics-gate now going to openly embrace stealing another cities team?

Zenji
02-05-2012, 06:56 PM
[QUOTE=B

JellyBean
02-05-2012, 08:31 PM

That stinks about the records. But I agree with you, as much as I would love to have the Sonics back in the league, I don't see that happening for at least 3-4 years, which would be cool with me. Man playing this NBA 06 is getting boring :D

33teeth
02-05-2012, 08:59 PM
As a Seattle area resident and a Kings fan, I hope this doesn't happen. I'd be stoked to be close to the Kings again (used to live around Sac) and to have a team nearby again (had the Sonics here), but I'd be sad to have the Kings when Sacramento lost them.

The circumstances would be far less disturbing than the Sonics departure from Seattle, but I'd prefer Seattle get a team back in a different way.

If a team must be "stolen" I'd prefer it be from a city that doesn't support their team well.

UtahJazzFan88
02-05-2012, 09:25 PM
[QUOTE=B

zay_24
02-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Utah shouldnt have a team

insidehoops
02-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Another story on this topic:

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=9204

Hammertime
02-05-2012, 11:25 PM
[QUOTE=B

frmsea2okc
02-06-2012, 02:52 AM
Sorry OKC, even if Seattle gets a new team, it will not clear your dirty concious for how you stole our team.

That is the dumbest thing I have heard on this board.

OKC didn't steal the team, Clay Bennet did. Seattle had chances to keep the team by building a new arena. I LIVE in SEATTLE. I was here for this. The city didn't want to build another arena right after quest (now century link) and safeco just got built. I f*cking hate Bennett and stern for the way they lied and planned all along to move to OKC but shit dont blame the fans. If a team with an absolute superstar and fantastic gm were brought to your doorstep you'd love it. Those fans are some of the loudest, most supportive in the league and to all those saying if okc had the kings and seattle the thunder then okc fans wouldn't be as supportive is completely unknowable.
Its not oklahoma city's fault the sonics got relocated.

Sonicsgate Requiem For a Team (educate yourself)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9Dp20ydm1E

tomtucker
02-06-2012, 07:45 AM
"It's ironic, I had the brew she had the chronic
The Lakers beat the Supersonics"

Allways remind me when i hear that

http://rapgenius.com/Ice-cube-it-was-a-good-day-lyrics#note-16093

JellyBean
02-06-2012, 08:05 AM
[QUOTE=B

JellyBean
02-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Utah shouldnt have a team

Why not? They have been consistent for 20-30 years. The fans and the city are on the same page. Utah is a perfect place for a team. As long as the fan base is strong and the city is behind the team, they are doing the right things and should have a team.

OmniStrife
02-07-2012, 07:14 AM
:confusedshrug:

http://i.imgur.com/AP2wS.png

SacJB Shady
02-07-2012, 07:19 AM
I hate to say this, but the Seattle Supersonics is a more classic and sick name than Oklahoma City thunder. They should just move back to Seattle. Honestly, I don't care to watch OCT, just because of their name. It looks silly to me. It's like the Memphis Grizzlies. Me and my friend joke about how they are the same team and we forget which team is which. Seattle is nice city. I never been to Oklahoma, but how can that be better than Seattle? It's all about Seattle, let them have the Sonics back. Forget thunder. I don't watch Durant and westbrook because i think they play on a silly team. And i don't mean to disrespect oklahoma residents, but seattle was first. Were talking Payton, Kemp, Shremph.

Zenji
02-07-2012, 08:07 AM
Whats the deal with the Sacramento Kings? Are they any closer to getting an arena built? Isn't the deadline to get something done in March?

Lebron23
05-30-2012, 04:36 AM
Bring back this team. Gary Payton needs to be the GM of this team.

Lebron23
05-30-2012, 04:37 AM
:confusedshrug:

http://i.imgur.com/AP2wS.png

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: