PDA

View Full Version : Larry Bird Would Like To Have Kobe As His Teammate

KingLeBronJames
02-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Boston Celtics great Larry Bird saw the Los Angeles Lakers as the enemy during his playing days, but there's one current Laker he'd like on his side if he were playing today -- Kobe Bryant.

Appearing on "The B.S. Report" with Grantland.com's Bill Simmons, Bird said that LeBron James is one of the greatest players and we should all sit back and enjoy what he can do on the basketball court. He even calls him the best player in the league, but he's not the player he would go into battle with.

If he could choose any current player that he'd like to play a season with, who would it be, Bird was asked.

"Well, probably Kobe, because of the fact that ... well, of course he wouldn't have been shooting as much as he does now ... but his desire to win, his dedication, to always get better, uh, and he's just, he's just tough," Bird said. "He's just a tough cat.

"But, if you want to have fun, like I did with Bill Walton, play with LeBron. It would have probably been more fun to play with LeBron, but if you want to win and win and win, it's Kobe. Not that LeBron's not a winner, just that [Kobe's] mindset is to go into every practice, every game, to get better."

Bryant has won five championships with the Lakers, one short of the legend he's most often compared to, Michael Jordan. James joined the Miami Heat last season and fell short in the NBA Finals, leaving him searching for his first title.

Bird, who is currently president of basketball operations for the Pacers, won three titles, two of them over the Lakers. He was inducted to the Hall of Fame in 1998.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7551496/larry-bird-love-play-los-angeles-lakers-kobe-bryant

I'm sure Celtics fans are throwing up in their mouths right now and probably hate their hero Larry Bird right now just for saying that.

Shade8780
02-07-2012, 05:13 PM
:wtf:

brownmamba00
02-07-2012, 05:14 PM
Larry really likes Kobe doesn't he?

Scholar
02-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Red Auerbach just turned in his grave again.

The first time was in 2007 when KB24 was getting "MVP" chants at the Boston Garden. :eek:

32Dayz
02-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Larry and Kobe sitting in a tree.

lol.

Its pretty easy to win hanging from Prime Shaqs nuts or playing with a Top 3 supporting cast in a watered down era (Late 00's) with the GOAT Coach at your side.

InspiredLebowski
02-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Larry really likes Kobe doesn't he?LOVES him. He praises him any time he's asked about him. Not usual "he's great blah blah" stuff, Bird doesn't bullshit. He seriously adores Kobe.

ralph_i_el
02-07-2012, 05:23 PM

lol.

Its pretty easy to win hanging from Prime Shaqs nuts or playing with a Top 3 supporting cast in a watered down era (Late 00's) with the GOAT Coach at your side.

yeah, you probably know better than larry. I mean, who does he think he is?

oh yeah...a 3 time champion and former head coach. I trust his word on kobe more than yours by far.

Pushxx
02-07-2012, 05:23 PM
I don't understand what's so wrong with this.

TheFrozenOne
02-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Legend and Godbe:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

every other great legend knows Kobe's greatness....:pimp:

TheFrozenOne
02-07-2012, 05:27 PM
I don't understand what's so wrong with this.

according to online fans Kobe is 62nd:oldlol:

LakersReign
02-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Of course....NOW, since he's complimenting Kobe, Larry Bird's an old nobody, who doesn't know what he's talking about....right?!:roll: :lol :oldlol: :roll:

The blatant hypocrisy here is purely pathetic. Bird compliments Lebron and it's "oh....there you go. He's one of the greats, so he knows what he's talking about." But when he compliments Kobe, it's "oh...well....he's old now, a terrible GM, so he's a horrible judge as far as player talent.":rolleyes:

More reason why REAL NBA fans don't take bandwagon Lebron fans nor anything they say seriously.:no:
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6851641#post6851641

I REST MY CASE!!!!:applause:

32Dayz
02-07-2012, 05:31 PM

oh yeah...a 3 time champion and former head coach. I trust his word on kobe more than yours by far.

I respect Larry Bird.

I just disagree with the notion that Kobe has something special about him that allows him to win more then other high level guard/wing players of this generation.

I believe the reason he has won more is directly related to the players/casts/coaches he has had mixed in with alittle luck.

I mean cmon... 3 of his Rings were won with a player "much" better then himself.
How can you act like he led those teams to victory?
He was simply a 2nd banana to a better player those years.

TheFrozenOne
02-07-2012, 05:32 PM
"Larry Birds favorite player......is Kobe Bean Bryant" - Magic Johnson 2010

G-Funk
02-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Larry Bird: Play With Kobe to Win. Play With LeBron To Have Fun.

StateOfMind12
02-07-2012, 05:33 PM
If he could choose any current player that he'd like to play a season with, who would it be, Bird was asked.

"Well, probably Kobe, because of the fact that ... well, of course he wouldn't have been shooting as much as he does now ... but his desire to win, his dedication, to always get better, uh, and he's just, he's just tough," Bird said. "He's just a tough cat.

"But, if you want to have fun, like I did with Bill Walton, play with LeBron. It would have probably been more fun to play with LeBron, but if you want to win and win and win, it's Kobe. Not that LeBron's not a winner, just that [Kobe's] mindset is to go into every practice, every game, to get better."

:applause:

G-Funk
02-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Bird complimented both Lebron & Kobe... & he's right about both players

Johnni Gade
02-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Thats not the celtics spirit

TheFrozenOne
02-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Bird complimented both, Lebron & Kobe & he's right about both players
How did he compliment Lebron???

He said if you want to have fun play with Lebron...but if you want to "win" play with Kobe.

:lol great compliment for a loser.

G-Funk
Thats not the celtics spirit

Its the win at all cost spirit

LakersReign

That's not the issue. The issue is that bandwagon Lebron fans are gonna say he knows what he's taking about when he compliments Lebron. But then turn right around in the same sentence and say he's an idiot when he compliments Kobe:facepalm

32Dayz
Funny... what happened in 2005-2007 when he didn't have a dominant bigs nuts to hang from and he didn't have a stacked team?

Multiple first round exits and gave up on his team in a G7 not exactly something Bird would condone.

What about him chocking in the 2004 Finals and selfishly sabotaging his own team.
That also doesn't sound like something Bird would condone.

Kobe without Shaq / Gasol + Stacked Cast would be a Ringless inferior version of TMac with better longetivity.

Enough of this bullshit that Kobe has some sort of special trait that allows him to win.

That trait is called having the GOAT Center at your side for 8 years and then the ability to whine like a b**** and demand a trade until the franchise gets Gasol and some good roleplayers for peanuts.

G-Funk
02-07-2012, 05:38 PM
How did he compliment Lebron???

He said if you want to have fun play with Lebron...but if you want to "win" play with Kobe.

:lol great compliment for a loser.

Legends66NBA7
02-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Kobe Bryant would have been the best player Larry Bird every played along side with.

Would be interesting to see how those to competitive minds would have gone at each other in practice and the weight room, in their primes.

G-Funk
02-07-2012, 05:40 PM
That's not the issue. The issue is that bandwagon Lebron fans are gonna say he knows what he's taking about when he compliments Lebron. But then turn right around in the same sentence and say he's an idiot when he compliments Kobe:facepalm

I know exactly what u mean, that's why the last thread where Bird complimented Lebron, I said "Bird was a bad evaluator of talent" with sarcasm...because I know that's what they do...Even when MJ said Kobe is the only player who deserves comparison, they shit it on him.

talkingconch
I respect Larry Bird.

I just disagree with the notion that Kobe has something special about him that allows him to win more then other high level guard/wing players of this generation.

I believe the reason he has won more is directly related to the players/casts/coaches he has had mixed in with alittle luck.

I mean cmon... 3 of his Rings were won with a player "much" better then himself.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_luknndtrik1qkq0wr.gif

longtime lurker
In before Larry Birds an idiot and horrible talent evaluator!

Smoke117
02-07-2012, 05:41 PM
That would never work out. Not enough shots to go around. People seem to forget that Mchale disliked Bird and thought he was selfish, so how is Bird and Kobe going to coexist.

StateOfMind12

:applause: Bird probably thinks Kobe is a top 5 player of all-time. I am not sure if he has already said it but I am more than positive he believes so.

32Dayz
Kobe is like the guy who shows up when the project is finished and then takes credit for it.

:lol

TheFrozenOne
02-07-2012, 05:42 PM
[QUOTE=G-Funk]

32Dayz
02-07-2012, 05:43 PM
(fast forward 7 years to the year 2019...Lebron is on the Bobcats still ringless.)

Bird - "so:confusedshrug: ...I was wrong.....deal wit it"

The Heat are about to go on a 5Peat.

Lebron will be 32 with 5 Rings and 2FMVP and everyone will be talking about how he is better then Kobe and derp de doo.

U mad?

PTB Fan
02-07-2012, 05:44 PM

Agreed with this post.

LakersReign
02-07-2012, 05:45 PM
I know exactly what u mean, that's why the last thread where Bird complimented Lebron, I said "Bird was a bad evaluator of talent" with sarcasm...because I know that's what they do...Even when MJ said Kobe is the only player who deserves comparison, they shit it on him.

Yeah, I know that too. Then they still expect REASONABLE NBA fans to take them seriously

SpecialQue
02-07-2012, 05:47 PM
When you think about Bird's work ethic, it's no surprise that he thinks this highly of Kobe as a player. Great compliment.

On another note, it's fvcking hilarious seeing internet tards try to discredit Bird's personal opinion.

32Dayz
02-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Wouldn't that describe Lebron way more than Kobe? Kobe's played for the same team for 16 ****ing years you dipshit :facepalm

No because Lebron never played with a player far better then himself.

He was the best player on Cleveland and he is the best or tied for the best player in Miami.

Shaq was light years better then Kobe from 00-02.
Shaq did the heavy lifting and he was by far the main reason those teams succeeded.

Even in 2009 Kobe was only slightly better then Gasol and in 2010 Gasol was the best player for LA in the playoffs and finals.

talkingconch
02-07-2012, 05:50 PM
The Heat are about to go on a 5Peat.

Lebron will be 32 with 5 Rings and 2FMVP and everyone will be talking about how he is better then Kobe and derp de doo.

U mad?
Except he would play on a team with Wade and Bosh :roll:

TheFrozenOne

He was the best player on Cleveland and he is the best or tied for the best player in Miami.

Shaq did the heavy lifting and he was by far the main reason those teams succeeded.

Even in 2009 Kobe was only slightly better then Gasol and in 2010 Gasol was the best player for LA in the playoffs and finals.

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/user_images/2173000/AlphaWolf-2173769_596_800.jpg

FlashDwyaneWade3
I respect Larry Bird.

"Players, casts and coaches." So Michael Jordan is not really special when he had Phil Jackson as his coach and teammates like Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman, Horace Grant, Toni Kukoc, B.J. Armstrong etc. on his team? It's cause he had a stack team like that? Same with Magic Johnson right? He had Pat Riley as his coach, Kareem, James Worthy, Byron Scott, Bob McAdoo, Michael Cooper and others. And Larry Bird had Kevin McHale, Robert Parish, Bill Walton and others.

talkingconch
02-07-2012, 05:51 PM

Just stop posting already, you're getting demolished :roll:

Heavincent
02-07-2012, 05:51 PM

If that helps you sleep better at night, then sure, believe whatever you want, no matter how ridiculous it is.

DMAVS41
02-07-2012, 05:53 PM
I'm sure Larry would like that until Kobe puts in one of his 7 for 28 performances in a playoff game and refuses to play team ball. Not sure how long that love affair would really last.

Kobe definitely wants to win, but it has to be his way. I think Bird and Kobe would have clashed far more than the legend thinks.

32Dayz
"Players, casts and coaches." So Michael Jordan is not really special when he had Phil Jackson as his coach and teammates like Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman, Horace Grant, Toni Kukoc, B.J. Armstrong etc. on his team? It's cause he had a stack team like that? Same with Magic Johnson right? He had Pat Riley as his coach, Kareem, James Worthy, Byron Scott, Bob McAdoo, Michael Cooper and others. And Larry Bird had Kevin McHale, Robert Parish, Bill Walton and others.

Thats the point you fool! :facepalm

Most of the ATGreats won because of those reasons not just Kobe.

But if you remove the Rings element and just compare Jordan to Kobe there is no comparison to be made.
Jordan was a better player and its evident when you compare their respective playoffs and finals performances.

Kobe if you judged him by how he performed in the playoffs and finals is certainly not a Top 10 ATPlayer and doesn't have much of a case over Lebron other then (for now) having 2-3 good Finals performances and a tiny bit of longevity.

talkingconch

But if you remove the Rings element and just compare Jordan to Kobe there is no comparison to be made.
Jordan was a better player and its evident when you compare their respective playoffs and finals performances.
:roll:

TheFrozenOne
02-07-2012, 05:55 PM
I'm sure Larry would like that until Kobe puts in one of his 7 for 28 performances in a playoff game and refuses to play team ball. Not sure how long that love affair would really last.

Kobe definitely wants to win, but it has to be his way. I think Bird and Kobe would have clashed far more than the legend thinks.

What's your point?...Bird had back to back 8 point games in the Finals and lost 8 tiomes with HCA:confusedshrug:

I think Bird and Kobe would have played great together and had great chemistry....Kobe has been able to prove to everyone he can win playing multiple styles.

32Dayz
Playoff PER

A's (Main Star) :
Shaq (00-02) : 29
Jordan (91-93 + 96-98) : 28.53

B's (Side-Kicks) :
Kobe (00-02) : 21
Pippen (91-93 + 96-98) : 19.5

The difference is clear and obvious.

Comparison Between Kobe/Gasol in 2010.

Regular Season PER / WShares
Gasol : 22.9 ||| 11
Kobe : 21.9 ||| 9.4

Playoff PER / WShares
Gasol : 24 ||| 4.7
Kobe : 24.7 ||| 3.6

2010 Playoff Summary.
Gasol better in 12/23 Games.
Kobe better in 10/23 Games.

Gasol >= Kobe in 2010

-------------------------------------------------------------

MVP Shares / Votes / Points from 01-05.
TMac : 925
Kobe : 817

01 - 05
TMac > Kobe

Players from this Generation :

Jordan > Shaq >>> Duncan > Hakeem >>>>> KG/Kobe

#1.
Jordan : Post Season - PER
Peak : 32
Top 5 : 30.16
Top 7 : 29.61
Top 10 : 28.89
Top 13 : 28.6

------------------------------------------------------------

#2.
Shaq : Post Season - PER
Peak : 31
Top 5 : 30
Top 7 : 29.56
Top 10 : 28.52
Top 13 : 26.55
14th to 16th Season (Final 3 Seasons) - 18.33

#4.
Duncan : Post Season - PER
Peak : 28.4
Top 5 : 26.96
Top 7 : 27.49
Top 10 : 26.67
Top 13 : 25.4

#12.
Hakeem : Post Season - PER
Peak : 27.7
Top 5 : 24.95
Top 7 : 24.61

#14.
KG : Post Season - PER
Peak : 25.5
Top 5 : 24.68
Top 7 : 24

#15.
Kobe : Post Season - PER
Peak : 26.8
Top 5 : 24
Top 7 : 23
Top 10 : 22.98
Top 13 : 21.62

HEAT111
But Lebron wants to win too...O.o, how can he say, "play with Lebron to have fun", Lebron has even been lashed out for lack of sportsmanship during the post-season. The thing is, does he have what it takes during the stretch. That's all...

32Dayz
02-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Kobe has been able to prove to everyone he can win playing multiple styles.

Wrong he has one style.

Chucking every game and hoping when he is not shooting well that he will be carried by his almost always stacked supporting casts that usually include either one or two dominant bigs.

TheFrozenOne

Kobe if you judged him by how he performed in the playoffs and finals is certainly not a Top 10 ATPlayer and doesn't have much of a case over Lebron other then (for now) having 2-3 good Finals performances and a tiny bit of longevity.

Kobe's Finals>nearly everyone except MJ

White Mamba
Playoff PER

A's (Main Star) :
Shaq (00-02) : 29
Jordan (91-93 + 96-98) : 28.53

B's (Side-Kicks) :
Kobe (00-02) : 21
Pippen (91-93 + 96-98) : 19.5

The difference is clear and obvious.

Comparison Between Kobe/Gasol in 2010.

Regular Season PER / WShares
Gasol : 22.9 ||| 11
Kobe : 21.9 ||| 9.4

Playoff PER / WShares
Gasol : 24 ||| 4.7
Kobe : 24.7 ||| 3.6

2010 Playoff Summary.
Gasol better in 12/23 Games.
Kobe better in 10/23 Games.

Gasol >= Kobe in 2010

MVP Shares / Votes / Points from 01-05.
TMac : 925
Kobe : 817

01 - 05
TMac > Kobe

Players from this Generation :

Jordan > Shaq >>> Duncan > Hakeem >>>>> KG/Kobe

#1.

#2.

#4.

#12.

#14.

#15.

holinger is that you?:facepalm

TheFrozenOne
02-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Wrong he has one style.

Chucking every game and hoping when he is not shooting well that he will be carried by his almost always stacked supporting casts that usually include either one or two dominant bigs.

Bird = back to back 8 point Games and 8 times he lost with HCA

32Dayz
02-07-2012, 05:57 PM

Kobe's Finals>nearly everyone except MJ

Better then Shaqs?
Better then Wades?
Better then Duncans?
Better then Wests?
Better then Hakeems?

:hammerhead:

Heavincent
02-07-2012, 05:59 PM
32dayz, seek help...immediately.

SlayerEnraged
02-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Better then Shaqs?
Better then Wades?
Better then Duncans?
Better then Wests?
Better then Hakeems?

I love how every real basketball analyst or player says and believes the complete opposite of what your moronic mind believes :lol

kennethgriffin
02-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Larry really likes Kobe doesn't he?

every single current or former player or coach that has praised kobe is obviously just a trolling fan boy kobe kid that is blinded by his chucking mentality. they have no real opinion. and dont matter

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

32Dayz
02-07-2012, 06:00 PM
I love how every real basketball analyst or player says and believes the complete opposite of what your moronic mind believes :lol

So you believe Kobe was a better Finals performer then those players?
Holy s*** you're delusional.
:facepalm

LakersReign
02-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Just stop posting already, you're getting demolished :roll:

He won't cuz he's way too stupid to realize how ret**ded he's making himself look. Notice how he's pretty much recycling his pathetic Gasol is the FMVP nonsense?! Pretty much proving he's obviously running out of gas.:banghead:

TheFrozenOne
02-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Better then Shaqs?
Better then Wades?
Better then Duncans?
Better then Wests?
Better then Hakeems?

overall yes.....if you just want to go off of 1 playoff performance/Finals then Wade prolly is better then anyone ever.

but overall Kobe's whole work>anyone not named MJ

32Dayz
02-07-2012, 06:03 PM
overall yes.....if you just want to go off of 1 playoff performance/Finals then Wade prolly is better then anyone ever.

but overall Kobe's whole work>anyone not named MJ

#1.

#2.

#4.

#12.

#14.

#15.

There is his "whole work" how come he isn't better then everyone?
:oldlol:

INB4 5 Rings >>>>

Dasher
02-07-2012, 06:04 PM
well, of course he wouldn't have been shooting as much as he does now ...

Larry would demote Kobe to second banana again. Those field goal attempts would be going to Larry Legend.

dajadeed
02-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Back in 07 Larry Bird said it was a travest that Kobe had no MVPs. He said it upset him so much and made him feel like taking one of his and giving it to Kobe.

Point being, Larry has always respected Kobe. Anyone involved in the NBA, especially those greats, recognize and respect talent and hard work.

People trolling need to get a life. Kobe has already reached legendary status, just learn to cope with it.

LakersReign
02-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Back in 07 Larry Bird said it was a travest that Kobe had no MVPs. He said it upset him so much and made him feel like taking one of his and giving it to Kobe.

Point being, Larry has always respected Kobe. Anyone involved in the NBA, especially those greats, recognize and respect talent and hard work.

People trolling need to get a life. Kobe has already reached legendary status, just learn to cope with it.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

32Dayz
02-07-2012, 06:06 PM

Borderline Top 10 status (where the majority rank him) is not legendary.

Sorry.

Heavincent
02-07-2012, 06:07 PM

#1.

#2.

#4.

#12.

#14.

#15.

INB4 5 Rings >>>>

It's too bad you're using the most useless stat in sports. PER doesn't mean a damn thing.

brownmamba00
02-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Why does every thread need to be de-railed into a 'Kobe vs [Insert name]' thread?
Shit's pathetic.

LOVES him. He praises him any time he's asked about him. Not usual "he's great blah blah" stuff, Bird doesn't bullshit. He seriously adores Kobe.
I really think he fell in love in that Finals-game back in '00 where Kobe took over in OT vs his team

kennethgriffin
02-07-2012, 06:09 PM

#1.

#2.

#4.

#12.

#14.

#15.

INB4 5 Rings >>>>

hasnt PER been proven retarded due to the overrating of role players and underrating of legends such as larry bird and magic johnson

david robinson isnt the 4th best player ever... hes regularly ranked in the 20-25 spot

chris paul is also not the 8th best player ever... hes not even top 30

Michael Jordan*

LeBron James

Shaquille O'Neal

David Robinson*

Wilt Chamberlain*

Dwyane Wade

Bob Pettit*

Chris Paul

Tim Duncan

Neil Johnston*

Charles Barkley*

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar*

Magic Johnson*

Karl Malone*

Dirk Nowitzki

Hakeem Olajuwon*

Kobe Bryant

Larry Bird*

Kevin Garnett

Oscar Robertson*

Yao Ming

Jerry West*

Elgin Baylor*

Dwight Howard

Amare Stoudemire

Moses Malone*

Tracy McGrady

Pau Gasol

Julius Erving*

pau gasol is better than dr J?

StateOfMind12
02-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Why does every thread need to be de-railed into a 'Kobe vs [Insert name]' thread?
Shit's pathetic.
32Dayz is posting, it's never going to stop until he gets banned really. This site pretty much sucks. There is a reason why every other site has banned him.

Legends66NBA7
02-07-2012, 06:10 PM

Sorry.

Really ?

LeFraud James
02-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Kobe is like the guy who shows up when the project is finished and then takes credit for it.

And you're the asian nerd who is forced to do all the work because you know if you don't you'll be beaten to a pulp.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-ash2/369777_1456960650_1039750673_n.jpg

kennethgriffin
02-07-2012, 06:12 PM
I dont use Career PER so what you're saying is irrelevant.

Also Magic and Bird were unselfish players who impacted the game in other ways.

Kobe was a 1 dimensional player who could score and not do much else and had practically 0 intangibles.

oh i see. so whatever fits your agenda

Reggie Miller

Steve Francis

Alvan Adams

Terry Cummings

Bill Sharman*

Jason Kidd

Josh Smith

Isiah Thomas*

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

LeFraud James
32Dayz is posting, it's never going to stop until he gets banned really. This site pretty much sucks. There is a reason why every other site has banned him.

Somebody ban that good for nothing already.

Heavincent
It reflects statistical production and performances over time.

Kobe's career playoff performances are pathetic compared to 10-12+ other GOAT level players.

How some people think he belongs ahead of them is beyond me... stupid homers.

Someone in another thread said it perfectly: PER is the ultimate pick-and-choose stat.

Delusional morons like you always ignore that Neil Johnston, Dwyane Wade, and CP3 are ahead of Kareem, Magic, and Hakeem in the PER rankings, but then stress that Kobe is only like #17 in PER so he must be overrated.

It's a completely useless stat. End of story.

kennethgriffin
02-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Like I said Career PER is misleading.

If you compare a players best 1, 3, 5, 7 and 10+ years consecutively you get an idea to how well they produced.

If you want to be an idiot and disparage the stat because it doesn't back up your obviously incorrect and biased opinions then keep using it that way.

The Majority still views Kobe as a borderline Top 10 player and nothing you can say can change that.

PER period is misleading

wasnt manu ginobili ranked as the best player in the nba before the injury?

his PER was better than lebrons

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

LeFraud James
02-07-2012, 06:18 PM
:cheers:

http://static.themetapicture.com/media/funny-haters-gonna-hate-little-girl-car.gif

LakersReign
02-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Somebody ban that good for nothing already.

Good luck with that. The mods and admin seem perfectly happy to ban everybody else for doing things that don't ever rise to the level of idiocy of this fool. Which is exactly why he feels he can do and say whatever he wants to, without fear of consequences.

kennethgriffin
02-07-2012, 06:21 PM
PER reflects production.

Unless you stupidly use Career PER it will never be incorrect.

The players who produce at a higher level have the higher PER's.

Jordan is #1 in PER... what a coincidence.

Most of the consensus Top 10 players are also in the Top 10 in terms of PER... what a coincidence.

According to PER

Gustavo Ayon of new orleans ( averaging 4ppg ) is better than

- carmelo anthony
- deron williams
- rajon rondo
- dirk nowitzki

( toilet flush )

dajadeed
02-07-2012, 06:22 PM

Sorry.

Actually, it is. Thousands and thousands of players have played in the NBA. To even have your name brought up in the conversation as one of the top players ever is legendary. Only an idiot would think otherwise.

Shaq, duncan, and Kobe are the 3 players in the last 15 years to really cement all time greats legacies. Lebron is working on his.

Just enjoy it. No reason to try to and tell everyone lies, you're just making a fool of yourself.

LeFraud James
02-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Good luck with that. The mods and admin seem perfectly happy to ban everybody else for doing things that don't ever rise to the level of idiocy of this fool. Which is exactly why he feels he can do and say whatever he wants to, without fear of consequences.

It's probably just a troll account made by one of them.

Why else would they allow someone to continually spew this nonsense all day, everyday.

The quality of the website is getting worse by the day, yet the mods and admins don't give a rat's ass due to the fact that they're getting more traffic on the site.

Despicable.

rsoares28
02-07-2012, 06:39 PM
You cant compare players using PER if they dont play similar roles and if they dont play similar minutes.

What a moron... :facepalm

hey bro, does Kobe keep you up at night? its so clear you're drenched in the hateraid i'm worried you might be missing out on a dying breed of athlete.

Why not sit back and enjoy him while he's here... based on your posts you sound young so maybe you missed out on Jordan..... dont let hate cause you to miss out on kobe as when he's gone all we will have left are crazy high fives, posing for fake photos during the intro's and long hugs b4 the tip off while "Hey Jude" plays over the stadium speakers.

No hate brother, just some wise words from a concerned individual.

MaxFly
02-07-2012, 06:56 PM
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7551496/larry-bird-love-play-los-angeles-lakers-kobe-bryant

I'm sure Celtics fans are throwing up in their mouths right now and probably hate their hero Larry Bird right now just for saying that.

No, it's cool... game recognize game I guess...

MaxFly
02-07-2012, 06:57 PM
LOVES him. He praises him any time he's asked about him. Not usual "he's great blah blah" stuff, Bird doesn't bullshit. He seriously adores Kobe.

Love? Adore? I think that's a little much... no?

bwink23
02-07-2012, 06:59 PM
What's your point?...Bird had back to back 8 point games in the Finals and lost 8 tiomes with HCA:confusedshrug:

I think Bird and Kobe would have played great together and had great chemistry....Kobe has been able to prove to everyone he can win playing multiple styles.

This dude is looking more and more like an AlphaWolf puppet account....he posts the same shit, gif's, articles he does....or has everyone else figured this out already and i'm just slow?

scm5
02-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Posters credit Bird with so much "Basketball IQ", and these posters are the same ones arguing why Bird over Kobe, stating such things as Basketball IQ as to why Bird was greater than Kobe.

Bird never said Kobe was better than him, only that Kobe is greater than Lebron, all-time. Take that "Basketball IQ" to the bank, because to most players, former players, GM's, and coaches... that's absolutely the case. These are the people that have played against, know how it is to play against, scouted, or received scouting reports OF Kobe. They made/make their living off of this stuff, and are good at it.

BTW, one owner has come out saying that anyone can be a judge of basketball talent, and it's not like other sports where scouting matters. That owner? Jim Buss. His project? Andrew Bynum. While Andrew is good, you have to be an idiot to not trade him for Dwight when he had the chance. This is officially the first year he has been running the team with his own staff and look at the Lakers now.

Unless a player has clear bias in the argument, I am taking a player, former player, GM, scout, or coach's word and observation over some stat junkie posting in a thread on the internet.

In this case, I can't see what Bird has to gain or what agenda he's trying to push with this comment. He just clearly admires Kobe's game.

KBryant24
02-07-2012, 07:06 PM

lol.

god you are a tool, every F'n thread you talk trash on kobe and praise shaq

ILLsmak
02-07-2012, 07:33 PM

Well he's also implying that him and his teammates would keep Kobe in check. Kobe is a great player and a winner and if someone could ever keep him in check, it would be someone like Larry or Jordan. I don't think he listened to Shaq because even though Shaq was bigger and the more successful player, he didn't work nearly as hard as guys like Larry and MJ. I think that if they said something and were the "star" of the team when Kobe came in... that Kobe would have played the role he was asked to play.

But maybe not.

-Smak

Simple Jack
02-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Of course....NOW, since he's complimenting Kobe, Larry Bird's an old nobody, who doesn't know what he's talking about....right?!:roll: :lol :oldlol: :roll:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6851641#post6851641

I REST MY CASE!!!!:applause:

He also said Bron is by far the best player in the league in the same interview. What are your thoughts on that?

Surprised no one mentioned this. It was from the BS report with Simmons.

bsyde82
02-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Well he's also implying that him and his teammates would keep Kobe in check. Kobe is a great player and a winner and if someone could ever keep him in check, it would be someone like Larry or Jordan. I don't think he listened to Shaq because even though Shaq was bigger and the more successful player, he didn't work nearly as hard as guys like Larry and MJ. I think that if they said something and were the "star" of the team when Kobe came in... that Kobe would have played the role he was asked to play.

But maybe not.

-Smak

That's a good point. All the stars Kobe played with were either lazy (Shaq) or mentally weak (Pau, LO). Bynum is TBD. I think Kobe would love it and thrive with a like-minded star. It's evident how much he values that mental quality when he speaks about players he admires (DRose, CP3). Kobe and Bird could certainly co-exist.

Bosnian Sajo
02-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Funny... what happened in 2005-2007 when he didn't have a dominant bigs nuts to hang from and he didn't have a stacked team?

Multiple first round exits and gave up on his team in a G7 not exactly something Bird would condone.

Has Bird ever won without McHale? Parish? Birds 6th man is in the hall of fame for crying out loud :oldlol:

Vertical-24
02-07-2012, 09:33 PM

What about him chocking in the 2004 Finals and selfishly sabotaging his own team.
That also doesn't sound like something Bird would condone.

Kobe without Shaq / Gasol + Stacked Cast would be a Ringless inferior version of TMac with better longetivity.

Enough of this bullshit that Kobe has some sort of special trait that allows him to win.

That trait is called having the GOAT Center at your side for 8 years and then the ability to whine like a b**** and demand a trade until the franchise gets Gasol and some good roleplayers for peanuts.

Your personal vendetta against Kobe is sickening. It seriously is. I couldn't even take this post seriously, obvious agenda is obvious.

Anyway, when people talk about this "special trait" that you are bashing, I think they are referring to his intense work-ethic and determination to become the best (in all aspects)...period. Kobe wants to win, he's always hungry for the W and that's something that everyone who's been around him has been able to say (whether its been players, coaches, trainers, analysts, etc.). Everyone see's his passion and everyone see's his drive.

As for winning...winning, more or less is a team accomplishment. In order to win, you need a solid team. Kobe through 05-07 was in a very similar situation as Jordan was before the arrival of Pippen, PJ, and the great Chicago Bulls teams of 1990-1998. First round exits, wishy-washy records, etc. etc.

You sir just sound butthurt. Sure he played with Diesel....and? Magic played with Kareem. Kobe came into the Lakers roster in 1996-1997 (straight out of High School), are you seriously faulting him for not being better than Shaq the years leading up to and including the 3-peat? Are you faulting him for playing with him? Shaq was dominant as ****, but even as a side-kick...are you honestly going to say that he wasn't a valuable asset in those Championship runs? I don't fully understand what your agenda is in respects to that argument.

Oh and don't get it twisted, Kobe Bryant has been the clear-cut leader of the Los Angeles Lakers since '05 and he LED the team to those 3 consecutive finals appearances (08,09,10). Am I discrediting Pau Gasol or any of the other Lakers players? Not at all because without them the Lakers would not have captured the Gold at all but it was Kobe Bryant that took on the leadership role that had gotten them that far. Kobe's competitive nature helps set the tone for the rest of the team and I think it also propels them to play harder as well (don't mention rejects like Smush Parker or Kwame either).

Some of the Kobe Bryant hate on this board is ridiculous. Same with the LeBron hate...appreciate greatness for what it is.

kennethgriffin
02-07-2012, 09:35 PM
He also said Bron is by far the best player in the league in the same interview. What are your thoughts on that?

Surprised no one mentioned this. It was from the BS report with Simmons.

well duh kobes in his 16th year and lebrons in his prime

i think the fact that bird would still however rather have a 16th year kobe as his team mate over lebron says allot though

heyhey
02-07-2012, 10:05 PM
that was a damning statement by Larry about Lebron. I think he realized how harsh it was after it left his mouth and he tried to backtrack a little by giving Lebron a little compliment. But the fact is there, you don't play with Lebron if you want to win. you play with him if you wanna pose and dance on the sidelines

longtime lurker
02-07-2012, 10:05 PM
Bird and Kobe would make an amazing duo since they compliment each other so well. But eventually I could see egos clashing although I'd expect Bird to give the reigns to Kobe more graciously than Shaq did

Not No Talker
02-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Your personal vendetta against Kobe is sickening. It seriously is. I couldn't even take this post seriously, obvious agenda is obvious.

Anyway, when people talk about this "special trait" that you are bashing, I think they are referring to his intense work-ethic and determination to become the best (in all aspects)...period. Kobe wants to win, he's always hungry for the W and that's something that everyone who's been around him has been able to say (whether its been players, coaches, trainers, analysts, etc.). Everyone see's his passion and everyone see's his drive.

As for winning...winning, more or less is a team accomplishment. In order to win, you need a solid team. Kobe through 05-07 was in a very similar situation as Jordan was before the arrival of Pippen, PJ, and the great Chicago Bulls teams of 1990-1998. First round exits, wishy-washy records, etc. etc.

You sir just sound butthurt. Sure he played with Diesel....and? Magic played with Kareem. Kobe came into the Lakers roster in 1996-1997 (straight out of High School), are you seriously faulting him for not being better than Shaq the years leading up to and including the 3-peat? Are you faulting him for playing with him? Shaq was dominant as ****, but even as a side-kick...are you honestly going to say that he wasn't a valuable asset in those Championship runs? I don't fully understand what your agenda is in respects to that argument.

Oh and don't get it twisted, Kobe Bryant has been the clear-cut leader of the Los Angeles Lakers since '05 and he LED the team to those 3 consecutive finals appearances (08,09,10). Am I discrediting Pau Gasol or any of the other Lakers players? Not at all because without them the Lakers would not have captured the Gold at all but it was Kobe Bryant that took on the leadership role that had gotten them that far. Kobe's competitive nature helps set the tone for the rest of the team and I think it also propels them to play harder as well (don't mention rejects like Smush Parker or Kwame either).

Some of the Kobe Bryant hate on this board is ridiculous. Same with the LeBron hate...appreciate greatness for what it is.
Strong post
Would rep

G-Funk
02-07-2012, 10:23 PM

ownage:banana:

Kblaze8855
02-08-2012, 02:32 PM
When I just saw the interview on ESPN I was surprised id not seen a topic on Larry saying Lebron is by far the best in the league and nobody else is even close. He said its lebron #1...then you try to figure out the rest.

Mr. I'm So Rad
02-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Kobe Bryant would have been the best player Larry Bird every played along side with.

Would be interesting to see how those to competitive minds would have gone at each other in practice and the weight room, in their primes.

Basketball match made in heaven.

INDI
02-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Why do people jump on Kobe for the 05-07 season??? They say he lost shaq. Do they realize he also lost Malone? Payton? Fisher? Fox? Phil???????????? Aldo do they recognize the new starting center and small forward (divac n devean) missed 63 games? Did they forget that Lamar missed about 16 games and so did Kobe in that first year.......

And after They tell you they forgot. Why was the lakers still in the playoffs around mid season???????????????????????????????????????????? ??

rsoares28
02-08-2012, 03:45 PM
What they also forget is the lakers were in first/second right before bynum went down and the gasol trade happened..

I am by no means insinuating that that team without gasol wouldve done anything but 1st/2nd in the stacked western conference for the 1st half of the season is a pretty good accomplishment.

G-Funk
07-07-2012, 01:32 AM
bump

Kobe 4 The Win
07-07-2012, 08:04 PM
As much as the salty-ass haters want to, you can't discredit Bird's opinion on this.

Knowing what I do about Bird when he played this doesn't surprise me one bit. Kobe has that insane dedication to work harder than anyone in the off-season. He has that laser focus during practice and in games. He has as much determination and Russell, Magic, Bird and Jordan. His mentality is cut from their cloth. Kobe is also one of the toughest players of all time. Like Bird, Kobe will play through about any injury and find a way to work around any handicap.