PDA

View Full Version : Euroleague is a dumbass that brings hits, welcome to InsideHoops!

Euroleague
02-08-2012, 06:32 AM
http://www.talkbasket.net/6536-the-real-reason-why-we-call-it-the-world-cup.html

The real reason why we call it the World Cup.

06/02/12 11:51 John Hobbs

http://www.talkbasket.net/images/resized/images/stories/competitions/wc_2014_logo_200_139.jpg

Goodbye world championships and hello to the Basketball World Cup - and in honesty - it sounds better already.

FIBA have decided to revamp the tournament completely in hopes to create a legacy for the sport and the event itself.

Also the name 'World Cup' sounds more official than 'world championship' and with the tournament being held in Spain, where basketball is a national sport (second only to football), it has a fairly good chance of succeeding.

While 2014 is two years away, and adding to the fact that we have an Olympics and various continental tournaments to get through, there was concern that the world championships were not taken seriously enough, especially from an American standpoint, who didn't get the concept of a "world championships".

FIBA Secretary General Patrick Baumann said: "We're in a world where perception is important. David Stern has been telling us 'no one in the US understands what a world championship is."

So basically, this is the real reason why FIBA decided to call it the Basketball World Cup. To make it more appealing to the Americans. A country that hilariously still considers NBA champions as the world champions.

Practically all basketball writers in America thankfully know the difference, as they cover the world basketball events as well if the USA are involved, but some NBA announcers still need to be educated, and, like it or not, they must acknowledge the fact that basketball does exist outside of the National Basketball Association.

It was a fantastic site when the Dallas Mavericks won their first NBA title last season over a heavily fancied Miami Heat squad, but I admittedly cringed a little when Dallas owner Mark Cuban, a man who deserves a lot of respect for taking the Mavs to the top repeatedly called his side the "world champions". Now, for a guy who publicly slates FIBA for risking his players for international competition, this is no surprise.

It then got a lot worse when Finals MVP Dirk Nowitzki - a German - called himself a world champion as well. Coming from a guy that has played for Germany in world championships past, that is shocking to say the very least.

Surely, upon hearing this, FIBA decided that enough was enough, let's change things. It's been happening for years now, and quite frankly, it's getting annoying.

Personally, I think the real reason for the name change was because of the NBA's stupidity in actually believing that their holy grail is a world title. When really, it's an NBA championship, nothing else.

And when I say stupidity, I do not include David Stern in this, purely for the reason that he recognizes this fact - and he - along with FIBA did something about it.

Thus, ladies and gentlemen: the Basketball World Cup is born.

We don't know if the Basketball World Cup will gain the prestige it deserves until we properly build it up, we have various international tournaments to stage first. But the name change is a step in the right direction.

Say what you will about the NBA commish about his handling of the lockout and the Chris Paul - Lakers saga. But, at least he's helped out world basketball.

I will end this mini lecture by saying: Dallas Mavericks = NBA champions. USA = world champions.

For all Euroleague, London 2012 and international updates, follow John Hobbs on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/johnswisshobbs

tomtucker
02-08-2012, 06:46 AM
http://www.talkbasket.net/6536-the-real-reason-why-we-call-it-the-world-cup.html

The real reason why we call it the World Cup.

06/02/12 11:51 John Hobbs

http://www.talkbasket.net/images/resized/images/stories/competitions/wc_2014_logo_200_139.jpg

It then got a lot worse when Finals MVP Dirk Nowitzki - a German - called himself a world champion as well. Coming from a guy that has played for Germany in world championships past, that is shocking to say the very least.Surely, upon hearing this, FIBA decided that enough was enough, let's change things. It's been happening for years now, and quite frankly, it's getting annoying.

For all Euroleague, London 2012 and international updates, follow John Hobbs on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/johnswisshobbs

not a Mavs fan, but this just made me like the guy, proves he has become an american by heart, also speaks english without an accent, unlike others who have played in the NBA for years and years, andl are still hard to understand...dirk is not flopping euro-trash like the rest

.:applause:

AirTupac
02-08-2012, 06:47 AM
I saw Spaonoullis play last game and my god, this guy has declined considerably. Shots 29% and had 9 points in 40 minutes. :facepalm

ukballer
02-08-2012, 06:51 AM
I couldn't care less either way, but calling it the Basketball World Cup sounds cool to me.

I've never thought of the NBA champions as world champions, purely an American thing which I probably won't ever get, but it doesn't upset me or anything. :lol

Euroleague
02-08-2012, 06:56 AM
I couldn't care less either way, but calling it the Basketball World Cup sounds cool to me.

I've never thought of the NBA champions as world champions, purely an American thing which I probably won't ever get, but it doesn't upset me or anything. :lol

Well, it apparently is upsetting David Stern.

InspiredLebowski
02-08-2012, 06:59 AM
John Hobbs != David Stern. I wish the NBA rings would quit being inscribed "World Champions," and like the vast, vast, majority of informed basketball fans I understand the Mavericks weren't officially (though they probably were) the best club style basketball team in the world last year.

I really, really, wish FIBA'd try to set up some kind of best of 7 series between the NBA champs and Euroleague champs, but obviously the schedules make it pretty unlikely.

I also REALLY wish idiot trolls like the OP would eventually realize that there are more than one way to play basketball. It's fully accepted in America that college ball and the NBA are drastically different styles to play the game that do/don't appeal to certain people. Euroleague lives in Arkansas, not like he lacks exposure to the dichotomy. But he brings hits so we can't ban him, thanks Jeff.

bdreason
02-08-2012, 07:23 AM
U.S.A. has the NBA Champs, FIBA WC Gold medal (b-team), and Olympic Gold medal (a-team). So you can call them whatever you want, because we own them all either way.

Fiasco
02-08-2012, 07:26 AM
Lmao Best Title Ever

AirTupac
02-08-2012, 07:29 AM
Which mod edited the title? Will rep for life :oldlol:

bluechox2
02-08-2012, 07:29 AM
:lol

All Net
02-08-2012, 07:32 AM
:roll: Loving the title

Wasn't me who edited it but love a good laugh in the morning.

Rnbizzle
02-08-2012, 07:54 AM
Which mod edited the title? Will rep for life :oldlol:
This! :bowdown: :bowdown:

Euroleague
02-08-2012, 08:26 AM
U.S.A. has the NBA Champs, FIBA WC Gold medal (b-team), and Olympic Gold medal (a-team). So you can call them whatever you want, because we own them all either way.

The B team means that NONE of your A team players are on it. That is the rules of FIBA. You can only have a B team if all of the players on the roster are not members of the A team.

The A team, under FIBA rules consists of players who are on the senior A level selection.

Therefore, per official FIBA rules, the USA 2010 team was NOT a "B team". Since players like Derrick Rose, Kevin Durant, and Kevin Love were on it, and are all members of the USA A team. Perhaps even someone like Russell Westbrook as well.

If that was a USA "B team" (3-4 A team players), then it was playing against a whole field of B teams in the tournament, as most teams have no more than 3-6 of their A players in those tournaments.

Nick Young
02-08-2012, 08:31 AM
The B team means that NONE of your A team players are on it. That is the rules of FIBA. You can only have a B team if all of the players on the roster are not members of the A team.

The A team, under FIBA rules consists of players who are on the senior A level selection.

Therefore, per official FIBA rules, the USA 2010 team was NOT a "B team". Since players like Derrick Rose, Kevin Durant, and Kevin Love were on it, and are all members of the USA A team. Perhaps even someone like Russell Westbrook as well.

If that was a USA "B team" (3-4 A team players), then it was playing against a whole field of B and C teams in the tournament, as most teams have no more than 3-6 of their A players in those tournaments.
B team? More like a C team.

No Lebron, No Kobe, no Carmelo, no CP3, no Kidd, no Deron, no Dwight Howard, no Amare, no Wade, no Randolph, none of our vets, just a bunch of young 21 year old kids who never played together before sent against the best teams from the rest of the world and shitting on them.

AirTupac
02-08-2012, 08:33 AM
America's Z team could smash Greece for fvck sakes.

Derek Fisher > Spanoullis at this point.

kurple
02-08-2012, 08:35 AM
The NBA champs aint world champs, but who the **** cares?

just let this thread die

Nick Young
02-08-2012, 08:37 AM
America's Z team could smash Greece for fvck sakes.

Derek Fisher > Spanoullis at this point.
Even a 5'10 American scrub who can't make the NBA or shoot, Bo McCalebb is better than Spanoulis.

Imagine that. Our scrub PGs who arent good enough for our own domestic league go to Europe and become the best PGs of new countries they arent even from like Bo in Macedonia and Jon Holden in Russia or the Greek starting American PG Nick Calathes.:roll: :roll: :roll:

Our scrubs become other country's best players

chains5000
02-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Anybody who doesn't see McCalebb is a good player doesn't know anything about basketball...

Euroleague
02-08-2012, 08:40 AM
B team? More like a C team.

No Lebron, No Kobe, no Carmelo, no CP3, no Kidd, no Deron, no Dwight Howard, no Amare, no Wade, no Randolph, none of our vets, just a bunch of young 21 year old kids who never played together before sent against the best teams from the rest of the world and shitting on them.

If that is your standard, then your C team beat a bunch of other countries' C team. Congrats.

Euroleague
02-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Anybody who doesn't see McCalebb is a good player doesn't know anything about basketball...

Right, but what he said about Spanoulis is true according to you?

bmulls
02-08-2012, 08:43 AM
If that is your standard, then your C team beat a bunch of other countries' C team. Congrats.

If you beat the best competition in the world, you are the best team in the world, aka world champions. Every Euro player dreams of playing in the NBA, but only a few make the cut.

Here in the US we don't cry about BS like that. You should try it, you might catch up to us one day.

chains5000
Right, but what he said about Spanoulis is true according to you?
McCalebb being better than him?

AirTupac

Americas C Team > World's B Team
America's A Team > World's A Team
NBA = Best League
Spanoullis = 3.0 ppg on 23% FG in the NBA
Spanoullis = 29.4 on 64% in the Euroleague

Therefore Spanoullis sucks shit juice here and dominates over there

Therefore America = NUMBER 1

Euroleague
Even a 5'10 American scrub who can't make the NBA or shoot, Bo McCalebb is better than Spanoulis.

Imagine that. Our scrub PGs who arent good enough for our own domestic league go to Europe and become the best PGs of new countries they arent even from like Bo in Macedonia and Jon Holden in Russia or the Greek starting American PG Nick Calathes.:roll: :roll: :roll:

Our scrubs become other country's best players

Nick Calathes is barely more than an average role player on Panathinaikos, and he is a borderline scrub level player on Greece's national team.

Imagine that. You don't ever claim anything here that is actually true.

Euroleague
02-08-2012, 08:44 AM

McCalebb and Derek Fisher being better than him.

Euroleague
02-08-2012, 08:45 AM
If you beat the best competition in the world, you are the best team in the world, aka world champions. Every Euro player dreams of playing in the NBA, but only a few make the cut.

Here in the US we don't cry about BS like that. You should try it, you might catch up to us one day.

That's a total lie.

Rnbizzle
02-08-2012, 08:48 AM
Nick Calathes is barely more than an average role player on Panathinaikos, and he is a borderline scrub level player on Greece's national team.

Funny, you're only bolding one of the three, basically admitting the other ones are true.. :facepalm

How's life in Arkansas anyways?

blacknapalm
02-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Americas C Team > World's B Team
America's A Team > World's A Team
NBA = Best League
Spanoullis = 3.0 ppg on 23% FG in the NBA
Spanoullis = 29.4 on 64% in the Euroleague

Therefore Spanoullis sucks shit juice here and dominates over there

Therefore America = NUMBER 1

span = GOAT. better than petrovic, sabnois and divac combined. he was too fast for NBA rules. pekovic is a foul prone, TO prone idotic bearded maniac. NBA refs won't call fouls on him. he's tiny, has thin hairs and can barely dribble in the open court. wait for the endorsement deals and cologne. oh and rubio sucks. he totally sucks, 10 times worse than peks. rubio doesn't even have pectoral muscles. just pectoral suckies

Euroleague
02-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Funny, you're only bolding one of the three, basically admitting the other ones are true.. :facepalm

Yeah, because no foreign point guards ever played well in the NBA.........oh wait.

:rolleyes: :facepalm

Rnbizzle
02-08-2012, 08:59 AM
Yeah, because no foreign point guards ever played well in the NBA.........oh wait.

:rolleyes: :facepalm
He's saying US's SCRUBS are owning Europe. That's an entirely different thing to say.

alenleomessi
02-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Bo is absolutely better than Spanoulis right now and probably every other guard in Europe

alenleomessi
02-08-2012, 09:35 AM
bo is also better than players like lawson, lowry, holiday..

Qwertyazerty
02-08-2012, 09:53 AM
:roll: Loving the title

Wasn't me who edited it but love a good laugh in the morning.

OFF topic:
I understand why people find it funny. That being said, I would like a forum moderator to give example with his attitude, not the opposite. If a poster is not welcome in a forum because of constant trolling ban him, but do not turn yourself (talking about the mod who edit the title, not you) into a worse troll.

I do not share his obsession against NBA and/or USA players, but I've found THIS thread information interesting at least.

ON topic: As an European amateur of both NBA and FIBA competition, I am glad to know they are working more and more as partners and less as competitors. FIBA changing one of its main tournament name to make it more interesting for NBA fans, is a great step forward in that sense.

ILLsmak
02-08-2012, 09:59 AM
span = GOAT. better than petrovic, sabnois and divac combined. he was too fast for NBA rules. pekovic is a foul prone, TO prone idotic bearded maniac. NBA refs won't call fouls on him. he's tiny, has thin hairs and can barely dribble in the open court. wait for the endorsement deals and cologne. oh and rubio sucks. he totally sucks, 10 times worse than peks. rubio doesn't even have pectoral muscles. just pectoral suckies

????????

ugay?

-Smak

Euroleague
02-08-2012, 10:01 AM
He's saying US's SCRUBS are owning Europe. That's an entirely different thing to say.

He's lying. McCalebb is no US scrub, and Calathes never owned anything in Europe. Calathes is barely average in the Euroleague. Of course, he plays better than Rubio did, so in the NBA that "US scrub" might average 15/10.

Holden was easily good enough to play in the NBA if he wanted to. But he was never a star player and never "owned" anything. He was like an Avery Johnson type of a player.

Nick Young obviously has extremely limited basketball knowledge.

Euroleague
02-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Bo is absolutely better than Spanoulis right now and probably every other guard in Europe

He is absolutely not better than Spanoulis and he is not better than Navarro either. Sorry. But he is definitely better than the vast majority of NBA point guards.

Ty Lawson is like a total scrub compared to him.

chains5000
02-08-2012, 10:13 AM
He is absolutely not better than Spanoulis and he is not better than Navarro either. Sorry. But he is definitely better than the vast majority of NBA point guards.

Ty Lawson is like a total scrub compared to him.
Right now? I think he is. The most efficient guard by far.
Spanoulis has had a lot of injuries recently too, so it's an easy choice IMO.

DRose1899
02-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Collison will destroy McCallebb :violin:
Ty Lawson? never a fan of him, George Karl system made him :sleeping

Whatfoul?
02-08-2012, 10:19 AM
I got you a present Euroleague

http://rlv.zcache.com/i_love_rubio_magnet-p147596130354428323zvv7b_400.jpg

Qwertyazerty
02-08-2012, 10:21 AM

Fully agree, right now he is a better player than Span.

The_LA_Blakers
02-08-2012, 11:09 AM
not a Mavs fan, but this just made me like the guy, proves he has become an american by heart, also speaks english without an accent, unlike others who have played in the NBA for years and years, andl are still hard to understand...dirk is not flopping euro-trash like the rest

.:applause:

Dirk is a world champion, no other team in the world would beat the NBA champs in any year.

I don't care what y'all say, it wouldn't happen.

Nick Young
02-08-2012, 11:10 AM
LAWL He's nate robinson without the shooting ability kid.

JON HOLDEN:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Nick Young
02-08-2012, 11:11 AM

Why is average roleplayer and borderline scrub Nick Calathes starting PG for Greece's best club team and senior national team?:confusedshrug:

chains5000
02-08-2012, 11:11 AM

You should watch games once in a while.

Nick Young
02-08-2012, 11:14 AM
He's lying. McCalebb is no US scrub, and Calathes never owned anything in Europe. Calathes is barely average in the Euroleague. Of course, he plays better than Rubio did, so in the NBA that "US scrub" might average 15/10.

Holden was easily good enough to play in the NBA if he wanted to. But he was never a star player and never "owned" anything. He was like an Avery Johnson type of a player.

Nick Young obviously has extremely limited basketball knowledge.
Why would JR Holden rather rot in Eastern Europe then make more money and play in his homeland?:confusedshrug:

Why did the Russian national coach trust this "Avery Johnson Non-star" to iso at the top of the key and take the game winning shot for the European title?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8Mq7qoxYF0
:confusedshrug:

alenleomessi
02-08-2012, 11:52 AM

Euroleague might be a troll but you are an ignorant idiot

Fiba basketball
02-08-2012, 01:05 PM
For me best pg in Europe is Teodosic , Bo after him and than Spanoulis , Huertas etc.

Miserio
02-08-2012, 01:13 PM
I'm from Argentina and I don't have a problem with americans feeling like they won the world championship... nba is the best league in the world (by far) therefore, the champion team is the world champion.

bmulls
02-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Also Euroleague you will notice we don't call MLS (soccer aka football) champions world champions because we know there are better leagues around the world. But basketball, football and baseball, US sports are the best in the world, period.

Fiba basketball
02-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Also Euroleague you will notice we don't call MLS (soccer aka football) champions world champions because we know there are better leagues around the world. But basketball, football and baseball, US sports are the best in the world, period.
And Europeans dont call their football ( soccer ) league world championship . And you have a lot of people that think Euroleague is better than Nba .

Euroleague
02-09-2012, 05:51 AM

It's true that Spanoulis is playing with two injuries right now. However, I will point out that Spanoulis gets his numbers being regularly DOUBLE TEAMED.

McCalebb is hardly ever double teamed.

McCalebb is one of the 3 best guards in Europe at the moment IMO. Along with Navarro and Spanoulis. He's not a clear cut best by any means, because Navarro is still a guy that actually carries teams to championships, something McCalebb has not done. And as already said, Spanoulis does what he does, being double teamed.

So it's fair to put McCalebb in the same category as Navarro and Spanoulis, but not to claim he is better than they are.

Also, Diamantidis has been playing point forward for a lot of years now (even though the stupid Euroleague site never updated his position), but this year Obradovic moved him back to point guard. So, since Diamantidis is back playing as a point guard this year, you have to put him there too.

Last year for example, he had by far the best season of anyone in the Euroleague. In fact, he's had several years better than anything McCalebb has ever done.

Euroleague
02-09-2012, 05:52 AM
Why is average roleplayer and borderline scrub Nick Calathes starting PG for Greece's best club team and senior national team?:confusedshrug:

He isn't.

Euroleague
02-09-2012, 05:53 AM
Why would JR Holden rather rot in Eastern Europe then make more money and play in his homeland?:confusedshrug:

Why did the Russian national coach trust this "Avery Johnson Non-star" to iso at the top of the key and take the game winning shot for the European title?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8Mq7qoxYF0
:confusedshrug:

You have clearly not even been following the NBA for more than 1-2 years.

Euroleague
02-09-2012, 05:59 AM
For me best pg in Europe is Teodosic , Bo after him and than Spanoulis , Huertas etc.

Well, Spanoulis has been playing point guard for the last 5 years or so, but now this year, Ivkovic moved him to shooting guard. So for the time right now, Spanoulis is at the 2 guard.

As far as who is playing at the 1 right now, I would say McCalebb or Diamantidis is the best, and then after that, it's either Huertas or Teodosic.

It's hard for me to choose which one. Teodosic is probably more talented than Huertas, but he's incredibly inconsistent and streaky in his performance. Maybe more than any other good player in the whole Euroleague is.

Since Spanoulis is playing at the 2 right now, then Navarro and him are definitely the best shooting guards.

Navarro, Spanoulis, McCalebb, Teodosic, Diamantidis, Huertas....they are all great players, and these are the best guards in Europe. Schved obviously isn't in this class of player yet, but he looks like he is heading there eventually though.

Euroleague
02-09-2012, 06:03 AM
I'm from Argentina and I don't have a problem with americans feeling like they won the world championship... nba is the best league in the world (by far) therefore, the champion team is the world champion.

No it isn't. And NBA commissioner, David Stern, agrees that it isn't.

Euroleague
02-09-2012, 06:04 AM

So why are the champions of leagues like La Liga, EPL, and Champions League, not claiming that they are "world champions" then?

alenleomessi
02-09-2012, 06:36 AM
It's true that Spanoulis is playing with two injuries right now. However, I will point out that Spanoulis gets his numbers being regularly DOUBLE TEAMED.

McCalebb is hardly ever double teamed.

McCalebb is one of the 3 best guards in Europe at the moment IMO. Along with Navarro and Spanoulis. He's not a clear cut best by any means, because Navarro is still a guy that actually carries teams to championships, something McCalebb has not done. And as already said, Spanoulis does what he does, being double teamed.

So it's fair to put McCalebb in the same category as Navarro and Spanoulis, but not to claim he is better than they are.

Also, Diamantidis has been playing point forward for a lot of years now (even though the stupid Euroleague site never updated his position), but this year Obradovic moved him back to point guard. So, since Diamantidis is back playing as a point guard this year, you have to put him there too.

Last year for example, he had by far the best season of anyone in the Euroleague. In fact, he's had several years better than anything McCalebb has ever done.
lol so you think spanoulis would have lead team full of scrubs to semi final in the euros? :oldlol:

AirTupac
02-09-2012, 06:38 AM
Become an 11th man in the NBA averaging 3 pts on 29%
or
Become one of the greatest guards in the Euroleague and a hero for Greece

Basketball... where shitnoullis happens.

Smoke117
02-09-2012, 06:57 AM
You sure talk alot Euroleague, but you don't really say anything do you? You're like a woman that way. You blab and blab but you say nothing a grown man wants to here.

Fiba basketball
02-09-2012, 07:06 AM
Well, Spanoulis has been playing point guard for the last 5 years or so, but now this year, Ivkovic moved him to shooting guard. So for the time right now, Spanoulis is at the 2 guard.

As far as who is playing at the 1 right now, I would say McCalebb or Diamantidis is the best, and then after that, it's either Huertas or Teodosic.

It's hard for me to choose which one. Teodosic is probably more talented than Huertas, but he's incredibly inconsistent and streaky in his performance. Maybe more than any other good player in the whole Euroleague is.

Since Spanoulis is playing at the 2 right now, then Navarro and him are definitely the best shooting guards.

Navarro, Spanoulis, McCalebb, Teodosic, Diamantidis, Huertas....they are all great players, and these are the best guards in Europe. Schved obviously isn't in this class of player yet, but he looks like he is heading there eventually though.
I remember that last year on Euroleague site it said Spanoulis is a sg . McCalebb is going to have trubels when he gets older because he wont be fast . I think Teodosic doesnt have the ball as much as he wants . When Kirilenko didnt play Teodosic got the ball more and played great but now when Kirilenko is back he cant play like that . You forget that Teodosic is first in apg and he is playing less than Spanoulis and other best guards . I agree that Schved will be one of the best ( if not the best ) sg in the future . There is a lot of talented young guards in Europe who knows who will be the best in 5 years .

Euroleague
02-09-2012, 08:33 AM
lol so you think spanoulis would have lead team full of scrubs to semi final in the euros? :oldlol:

Spanoulis led one of Greece's weakest selections in the last 25 years to a bronze at the same competition. So what exactly is your point?

Euroleague
02-09-2012, 08:36 AM
I remember that last year on Euroleague site it said Spanoulis is a sg . McCalebb is going to have trubels when he gets older because he wont be fast . I think Teodosic doesnt have the ball as much as he wants . When Kirilenko didnt play Teodosic got the ball more and played great but now when Kirilenko is back he cant play like that . You forget that Teodosic is first in apg and he is playing less than Spanoulis and other best guards . I agree that Schved will be one of the best ( if not the best ) sg in the future . There is a lot of talented young guards in Europe who knows who will be the best in 5 years .

Spanoulis played point guard every year in Panathinaikos, except in 2005-06. Like I said, the Euroleague website never ever updates the positions of players. Diamantidis was playing small forward every year, from 2007-08, and was still listed as a PG.

You cannot trust the Euroleague website by the positions it lists players at. They list Mirotic as a SF for example. Ivkovic moved Spanoulis to SG this year, due to the fact that they tried using Sloukas or Mantzaris as a SG and it just was not working. So they had to move Spanoulis there instead.

Teodosic is one of my all-time favorite players man. You don't have to convince me about him. It's just that he can do just as much damage to a team, as he can to help it. He is a true all or nothing player. Believe me, when he is on his game, there is no other guard with his unique flair and charisma. But, you have to count all the times when he is not on also.

There are many games where he plays zero defense, and throws up wild shots with a hand in his face from 8 meters, and does it over and over. I forgot how many times Ivkovic benched him during the years during key games and moments because of this stuff.

I think you know what I mean. There is something mentally of an edge to him. He is a bit off, and he uses that to make himself so clutch and to hit huge shots and takeover the biggest games. But also, the same edge to his personality also causes him to shoot his team right into many losses. If he was a little more even in his performance, he would be the best, but you have to also figure in his off times in it.

I agree about McCalebb, as soon as he slows down, due to age and/or injuries, he will suffer a lot. Look at McIntyre. He completely fell off a cliff, as soon as he lost his speed. Guys like Teodosic, Huertas, Spanoulis can out last him, because they don't rely on athleticism and speed like McCalebb does. Well, Spanoulis used to also, but he already lost most of it already, so he already made that adjustment.

McCalebb won't be nearly as effective when he slows down, because he does not have an outside shot.

Euroleague
02-09-2012, 08:50 AM
I agree that Schved will be one of the best ( if not the best ) sg in the future . There is a lot of talented young guards in Europe who knows who will be the best in 5 years .

What do you think about guys like Sloukas, Pappas, and Aradori?

Alan
02-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Spanoulis led one of Greece's weakest selections in the last 25 years to a bronze at the same competition. So what exactly is your point?
To be fair, you called that team a C-team or B-team during Euro championship. Now, about your definition of the B-team...

Fiba basketball
02-09-2012, 02:07 PM
What do you think about guys like Sloukas, Pappas, and Aradori?
I think Sloukas can be a great leader . He controlles games very good when I watched him play but I dont think he will be one of best point guards in Europe just a very good one . I think I never saw Pappas play or I dont remember him . I cant see Aradori leading a team to top 8 or final 4 , I think of him as great second option . I think that Schved is best young sg and that new great pg will be one of Serbian players ( Nedovic , Cvetkovic , Micic or Miljenovic )

REACTION
02-09-2012, 02:52 PM
So why are the champions of leagues like La Liga, EPL, and Champions League, not claiming that they are "world champions" then?

Because there's no clear-cut superiority between those three like there is with the NBA.

Euroleague
02-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Because there's no clear-cut superiority between those three like there is with the NBA.

As Fiba pointed out, lots of people think the Euroleague is as good or better than the NBA is. Out of countreis that have some interest in basketball, it's only in countries like USA, Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand, China, Philippines, Iran, Argentina, Brazil, France, Germany...........it's only in countries like that, where the NBA is considered "superior".

Then you have some countries where they might lean towards the NBA, but not totally, like maybe Turkey. But in most of the European-basketball countries, many people, MANY people prefer the Euroleague over the NBA.

And I can tell you that even in China, the Euroleague is rapidly gaining consensus amongst many people as being on par with the NBA. More and more Chinese are seeing the Euroleague, and rate it equal with the NBA.

So the NBA is NOT universally seen as the premiere league, even though Americans wrongly believe that it is. That's an American-centric viewpoint.

The NBA is not seen as anymore supreme in basketball, than the top leagues are in football. It's just that Americans like to believe that their own viewpoint = the viewpoint of the whole planet.

millwad
02-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Is it true that Euroleague is a dumbass that brings hits and that he's welcome'd a la ISH?

Euroleague, may I do your mouth?

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6195/6113406058_60482ec30c.jpg

REACTION
02-10-2012, 02:35 PM
As Fiba pointed out, lots of people think the Euroleague is as good or better than the NBA is. Out of countreis that have some interest in basketball, it's only in countries like USA, Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand, China, Philippines, Iran, Argentina, Brazil, France, Germany...........it's only in countries like that, where the NBA is considered "superior".

Then you have some countries where they might lean towards the NBA, but not totally, like maybe Turkey. But in most of the European-basketball countries, many people, MANY people prefer the Euroleague over the NBA.

And I can tell you that even in China, the Euroleague is rapidly gaining consensus amongst many people as being on par with the NBA. More and more Chinese are seeing the Euroleague, and rate it equal with the NBA.

So the NBA is NOT universally seen as the premiere league, even though Americans wrongly believe that it is. That's an American-centric viewpoint.

The NBA is not seen as anymore supreme in basketball, than the top leagues are in football. It's just that Americans like to believe that their own viewpoint = the viewpoint of the whole planet.

No, there's absolutely a talent discrepancy between the NBA and Euroleague. The NBA contains more talent. The competition in the NBA is on a different level. It's also a fact that the NBA is simply more popular. More people watch it. And it's really always been like that. Back when Wilt and Russell played, when Magic and Bird played, when Jordan played, when Shaq and Duncan played, and now when Kobe and LeBron play. The world is more connected now than it ever has been, so there's more exposure being brought to foreign leagues like the Euroleague. I'll give you that, it's growing in popularity. And I'm glad to see an American sport grow like that abroad. But it still pales in comparison to the original home league of our home sport of basketball, the NBA.

Fiba basketball
02-10-2012, 02:52 PM
No, there's absolutely a talent discrepancy between the NBA and Euroleague. The NBA contains more talent. The competition in the NBA is on a different level. It's also a fact that the NBA is simply more popular. More people watch it. And it's really always been like that. Back when Wilt and Russell played, when Magic and Bird played, when Jordan played, when Shaq and Duncan played, and now when Kobe and LeBron play. The world is more connected now than it ever has been, so there's more exposure being brought to foreign leagues like the Euroleague. I'll give you that, it's growing in popularity. And I'm glad to see an American sport grow like that abroad. But it still pales in comparison to the original home league of our home sport of basketball, the NBA.
Basketball is not American sport its international sport .

LBJMVP
02-10-2012, 02:54 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

the NBA has teams that could be any other countries national teams
the NBA champions are the best team in the world.

eppelp
02-10-2012, 02:58 PM
I'll never understand how you can get so worked up over something like that. They can call themself "Masters of the Universe" for all I care. :cheers:

REACTION
02-10-2012, 03:13 PM

By American sport, I mean that it was invented here in the U.S. by an American (Naismith) and this is where the sport grew during its early stages. It was first played in December 1891, at a YMCA in Springfield, Massachusetts.

Kobr
02-10-2012, 03:17 PM

This.. /thread

DFish
02-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Nope, it's an American sport. Always has been, always will be. Other countries like to copy and steal from America (our sports, film-making, fashion, music, technology, etc.) but it's never the same. The originals will always be better. The reason American basketball will always be superior to foreigners' basketball leagues is the same reason a Chinese iPhone knockoff will always be inferior to a real Apple iPhone.

Deal with it.

Fiba basketball
02-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Nope, it's an American sport. Always has been, always will be. Other countries like to copy and steal from America (our sports, film-making, fashion, music, technology, etc.) but it's never the same. The originals will always be better. The reason American basketball will always be superior to foreigners' basketball leagues is the same reason a Chinese iPhone knockoff will always be inferior to a real Apple iPhone.

Deal with it.
why does ex Yugoslavia have more medals than ? Basketball was invented by American but it is international sport .

REACTION
02-10-2012, 04:22 PM
why does ex Yugoslavia have more medals than ? Basketball was invented by American but it is international sport .

Just to clarify, more medals in what?

DFish
02-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Nope, it will always be ours. Just like football. You can have soccer, tennis and hockey, but the NFL and the NBA will always be the premier leagues of their respective American sports. And those American sports of football and basketball will always remain American.

Heavincent
02-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Euroleague, please go kill yourself.

Fiba basketball
02-10-2012, 06:53 PM
Just to clarify, more medals in what?
I m talking aboute NTs and medals in WC , Olympics .

Real Men Wear Green
02-10-2012, 07:03 PM
This topic has 2,400 views and as of this writing, 79 posts. Every post with that number or more of replies has more views. Furthermore, I would like to point out that Euroleague's ass is the smartest part of his anatomy. After all, it's clearly been doing all of his posting. I am forced to respectfully disagree with the title of this topic.

bmulls
02-10-2012, 07:43 PM
This topic has 2,400 views and as of this writing, 79 posts. Every post with that number or more of replies has more views. Furthermore, I would like to point out that Euroleague's ass is the smartest part of his anatomy. After all, it's clearly been doing all of his posting. I am forced to respectfully disagree with the title of this topic.

It may seem like he's talking out of his ass, but that's only because his head is shoved so far up it.

tontoz
02-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Didn't he say that Rubio wasn't that good? Nice call

CanYouDigIt
10-08-2013, 11:10 AM
The title alone is worth bumping

Nick Young
10-08-2013, 11:19 AM
medals in what?

A team of Yugoslavia allstars right now would lose to the Charlotte Bobcats 10 times out of 10, and it would be blowout losses.

Rooster
10-08-2013, 11:20 AM
I m talking aboute NTs and medals in WC , Olympics .

:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Rooster
10-08-2013, 11:21 AM

:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm