PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest One-Two Punches in NBA History

Scholar
02-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Which duos were the greatest in your opinions? I'm not trying to rank them, just acknowledging the one-two combos that were either the most entertaining to watch or just downright amazing to see on the same team.

I'll start with the obvious ones:

Michael "His Airness" Jordan & Scottie Pippen
6 NBA Finals appearances with 6 NBA titles. They made the Chicago Bulls the most respectable and arguably world renowned team in the world. No matter where you went, everyone knew about MJ & Pippen. They even destroyed the next combo in the Finals...

John Stockton & Karl "The Mailman" Malone
These two are probably the greatest duo to never win a title. They perfected the pick-and-roll, making opposing teams' defense look foolish at times. Honestly, it's a shame they played in the MJ era because in any other era, there's no way they don't win at least one ring together. Both are arguably top 3 in their positions, as well as top 20 in NBA history, with Malone definitely being a top 10 player.

Kobe "Black Mamba" Bryant & "The Big Diesel" Shaquille O'Neal
They won 3 rings in 4 NBA Final appearances. If they had worked things out and remained on the same squad, I guarantee they'd have won a few more. Honestly, as a Lakers fan, I feel like we missed out on these two proving to be the best one-two combo in NBA history, but I digress. Both are clearly top 10 players, and more importantly, they both made the Lakers relevant again after a long dry spell in the '90s after Magic's retirement.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar & Earvin "Magic" Johnson
5 rings. The greatest PG of all-time and one of the greatest Centers of all-time. Enough said.

Some honorable mentions:

Dwyane Wade & LeBron James
LBJ may not be the most likable guy in NBA history (hell, one could argue he's the most hated since Rodman retired), but there's no denying that these two are one of the best duos to play side-by-side in the NBA. The way they joined forces may have been the most disrespectful way for two players to join, with a certain "King" claiming to win 7+ titles without having even suited up for a game yet, but they're entertaining to watch and I'm 100% sure they bring higher ratings to the NBA simply by being the villains on the court, night in/night out.

Kevin Durant & Russell Westbrook
How often do you see a team go from ~20 wins to 50 in a matter of an off-season, not making the Playoffs to suddenly being the favorites heading into the Western Conference Finals, taking a franchise with low expectations to one where everyone is almost certain they'll win a title? Not too often, that's for sure. It's only been a few seasons since these two guys began playing together, but you'll be hard-pressed in finding another duo that has taken an "Eh..." team and turned them into one of the best in the league. Whether or not you agree they can go down in history as one of the best duos to play the game, one thing is certain: they're destined for success if they manage to remain on the same squad for a few years.

You guys can go ahead and drop some other duos worth noting.

I want to reassure anyone and everyone that this isn't meant to be a "rank the best duos in NBA history" thread. I'm just wanting to acknowledge one-two combos who have held any relevance whatsoever.

I know there are plenty of others worth naming, but I'll leave that up to you guys.

bwink23
02-08-2012, 05:46 PM
Julius Erving and Moses Malone

Bill Russell and Sam Jones

KBryant24
02-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Frazier/Reed

Pushxx
02-08-2012, 05:53 PM
I'll take Magic and Kareem.

D-Wade/LeBron and KD/Westbrook don't even deserve to be mentioned in one-two punches. Nothing against them as players...but yeah.

Alamo
02-08-2012, 06:14 PM
I like Tim Duncan and David Robinson

http://www.answersfrommen.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/robinson_duncan.jpeg

SpecialQue
02-08-2012, 06:17 PM
Bill Walton and Norm Nixon.

k0kakw0rld
02-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Monta Ellis & Stephen Curry nuff said. :bowdown:

Locked_Up_Tonight
02-08-2012, 06:53 PM
The greatest one two punch in Mav history is the left jab and the right hook. Both equally effective:

http://losthatsportsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/dirk-layup.jpg

http://www.jimrome.com/cimages/var/ezjimrome/storage/images/repository/photos/dirk-nowitzki-2011-nba-finals-miami-vs-mavs-game-42/352434-1-eng-US/Dirk-Nowitzki-2011-NBA-Finals-Miami-vs-Mavs-Game-4_photo_medium.jpg

La Frescobaldi
02-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Frazier/Reed

yeah and then later on it was the Rolls Royce backcourt with Pearl & Clyde

Deuce Bigalow
02-08-2012, 06:59 PM
http://twanatells.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/KobeShaq6.jpg

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/406/573/MagicKareem_display_image.jpg

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0811/nba_g_jordan_pippen_b1_576.jpg

KBryant24
02-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Monta Ellis & Stephen Curry nuff said. :bowdown:
Lol not even a top duo right now

Peteballa
02-08-2012, 07:08 PM
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lx3chcll5G1qbil76o1_500.gif

Deuce Bigalow
02-08-2012, 07:09 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Figlo
02-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Rubio & Love

Jasper
02-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Many great one /two punchs of all time ...

first comes to mind and with only 1 ring is Jabbar and Big O

But the best of all time was Jordan and Pip.

------------
non-ring bears : Malone and Stockton

Rnbizzle
02-08-2012, 07:37 PM
I'll take Magic and Kareem.

D-Wade/LeBron and KD/Westbrook don't even deserve to be mentioned in one-two punches. Nothing against them as players...but yeah.
Really disagree.

swi7ch
02-08-2012, 07:39 PM

repped :roll:

RaininTwos
02-08-2012, 08:15 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

this actually caught me off guard

Rake2204
02-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Came in here to post this. Now disappointed at what could have been.

L8kersfan222
02-08-2012, 08:19 PM
i did too wow lol

BlackVVaves
02-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Can't say they were the best, but I definitely agree with Shaq's sentiment when saying he and Kobe were the most dominant one two punch in league history. You were pretty much ****ed against those two, either you double Shaq and let Kobe go ham, or keep an eye on Kobe and turn around to realize Shaq just dropped 35 on you.

It still amazes me how they lost against the Pistons in 04, damn shame. Though, as the Pistons would prove for another 3 years, they were clearly one of the two best team in the East and for a reason.

Kobe and Shaq stick together in 05, 06, and 07, and actually assemble some sutiable pieces, not over the hill Malone and Payton, and they win two more titles together. Doesn't really matter to Kobe, he has his fifth ring, but I'm sure Shaq must stay up at night sometimes and wish he hadn't partcipated in that Phil Jackson driven feud with Kobe and the Lakers management the way he had.

Peteballa
02-08-2012, 10:26 PM
:cheers:

Faptastrophe
02-08-2012, 10:28 PM
http://i.imgur.com/2NOzt.png

Don't deny it.

imdaman99
02-08-2012, 10:30 PM
lin and chandler or lin and novak. either has potential to be the best ever.

ChrisKreager
02-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Larry Bird and Kevin McHale

oh the horror
02-08-2012, 10:46 PM
http://www.best-basketball-tips.com/images/Gary-Payton-and-Shawn-Kemp2.jpg

SuperPippen
02-08-2012, 10:50 PM
Jerry West and Wilt Chamberlain.

frmsea2okc
02-09-2012, 03:09 AM
Can't believe west/baylor hasn't come up. Both are top 15 to me.
Duncan Robinson is probably the best set of bigs.
Big o and Lou alcindor
Russell and havlicek
Jordan and pippen
Stockton Malone
Magic and kareem
Bird and mchale
Shaq and kobe

Tenchi Ryu
02-09-2012, 03:31 AM
Mike look spooked in this pic
:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

EllEffEll
02-09-2012, 03:41 AM

For $20 you get Chachi, but $40 gets you Fonzie :pimp:

EllEffEll
02-09-2012, 03:43 AM

For $20 you get Chachi, but $40 gets you Fonzie :pimp:

jlauber
02-09-2012, 03:43 AM
Jerry West and Wilt Chamberlain.

What could have been...

The 69-70 Lakers had a new coach, Joe Mullaney, who trashed the previous coach's offensive strategy (having Wilt play a high post so that Baylor could shot jack)...

... and in the first nine games of that season, West was averaging 30.8 ppg, while Chamberlain was leading the league at 32.2 ppg (and on nearly .600 shooting.) BTW, Baylor was averaging 19.9 ppg in those nine games. Collectively, those three were averaging 83 ppg.

Unfortunately, Wilt tore his knee up in the ninth game, and was never the same after that.

Legends66NBA7
02-09-2012, 04:17 AM
Yeah, a lot of names already mentioned...

If they stayed together, they certinaly could have been one of the greatest duo's:

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l98evxqnDw1qdi785o1_500.jpg

Clutch
02-09-2012, 04:26 AM
http://i.imgur.com/2NOzt.png

Don't deny it.
this :bowdown:

AngelEyes
02-09-2012, 04:28 AM

If they stayed together, they certinaly could have been one of the greatest duo's:

For it to work T-Mac would've had to of been the Alpha.

ShaqAttack3234
02-09-2012, 04:47 AM
The way Shaq and Kobe played in the 2001 playoffs is the gold standard for duos, imo. Talk about pick your poison. If you didn't double Shaq aggressively, you were pretty much conceding 35-40 points and 15-20 rebounds while your frontline was in foul trouble. And then you had Kobe on the perimeter who was attacking the basket as aggressively as he has in his career while excelling as the team's facilitator. He was fitting his offense perfectly into the team, while also adding quite a few of his points in transition and semi-transition, which also made the duo work better with Shaq being the focal point of the halfcourt offense. And when Kobe did look to score in the halfcourt, he'd blow by his man and force the help to come over or else he'd finish over anyone(for proof of this watch the WCF when the twin towers didn't deter him), but if they did, there was also Shaq in the paint and Kobe would find him. You had Shaq averaging 30+/15+/3+ and Kobe averaging 29+/7+/6+. All on a 15-1 team that was embarrassing talented teams. That's 60/23/9 between just 2 players vs some very good defensive teams(Spurs and Sixers were both top 5). They were the 2 best offensive players in the game, Shaq was back to playing his 2000 level defense, and Kobe was arguably the best perimeter defender at the time. That may be the season when you can make the best case that a team had the 2 best players in the game.

Jordan and Pippen were the greatest perimeter duo. Arguably the 2 best perimeter defenders of all time, and what made the duo work so well was that there was arguably the greatest scorer ever, but he was playing alongside Pippen who became the team's primary facilitator, which allowed Jordan to play off the ball more, which made his scoring work better with the team, imo and also made it so he didn't have to average 35 while setting everyone up 24/7. They were deadly in transition, and it was even better that their positions were pretty much interchangeable with Pippen being the de-facto point guard, and Jordan actually being more of the forward in the team's offense. They were probably at their best as a duo in '96. Pippen had improved his overall game and had become an effective post player, a smarter defender and was probably helped by the year and a half where he was his team's leader. Jordan also hadn't fallen off that much. He had lost a bit athletically, but it didn't hurt him all that much since he had already shot a lot of jumpers by the time Phil took over, and was still athletic anyway. But while he had proven capable of scoring in the post whenever the match up presented itself in the early 90's, he did even more work down there second 3peat and was flat out unguardable. The biggest difference between '96 Jordan and '90-'93 Jordan was that he had lost some stamina which made it so he couldn't use the same energy at both ends as frequently. Obviously, Jordan won MVP by a landslide, and Pippen was also getting some MVP talk, and was probably playing the best basketball of his career in the first half before that ankle injury.

But a lot of duos deserve to be mentioned. Bird and McHale were amazing from '86-'88. And Bird and Parish were a formidable pick and roll duo themselves for that matter. But aside from Shaq/Kobe, has any duo been better than Bird and McHale in the '86 playoffs? Bird averaged 26/9/8, 52 FG%/62 TS% and McHale averaged 25/9/3, 58 FG%/64 TS%. But those numbers don't begin to explain how good Bird was as far as his passing or taking over games from his masterful all around finals to some incredible individual displays during the Hawks series. McHale also looked as unstoppable as a post scorer can and showed his defensive versatility by guarding Nique in the semifinals. They were also extremely consistent game by game during that run.

Obviously Magic and Kareem as well, though it's a shame their primes didn't overlap. Kareem was at the tail end of his prime when Magic entered the league while Kareem was 39-40 by the time Magic really hit his prime, but that duo worked really well with Magic leading the transition game and Kareem being the focal point of their halfcourt offense and the best post player for most of that era.

Kareem and Oscar seemed very effective in '71, I wish more footage was available, but they led a dominant team and despite being in his 2nd year, Kareem was most likely the best player in the game. Oscar was past his prime, but Kareem talks a lot about how effective Oscar still was in his book "Giant Steps" and how good he was at getting Kareem the ball in good position. From the limited footage available(regular season game vs Knicks and 2nd half of game 4 of the finals), you can see how good he was at finding his teammates as well as his mid-range shot and strength backing guards down.

As far as big man duos, Duncan and Robinson their first 3-4 years together would be hard to top. They may have been the greatest defensive duo of all time. Both were good passers and elite shot blockers/interior defenders who could face up and shoot or drive. Duncan was also one of the best back to the basket players and probably more comfortable being the man putting Robinson in a role where he could excel despite the fact that Robinson himself was still a 20/10 caliber player as late as 2000, while Duncan entered the league very polished and poised. Tim may have been as close to his prime level as a rookie/second year player as any great player aside from maybe Kareem.

Wilt and Hal Greer were probably one of the best as well, particularly in '67. Lebron and Wade are also an unusual duo. Like Shaq and Kobe, you they're one of 2 cases that I can think of where a team had arguably the top 2 players in the game. They may not be a natural fit alongside each other, but I think they're more comfortable with each other this season, especially since they're running more. But we haven't been able to see it as much with Wade's early injuries.

Malone and Stockton are another obvious one due to how well their games fit together. Both made the other one better more than any other great duo I can think of.

Unfortunately, Wilt tore his knee up in the ninth game, and was never the same after that.

True, but he did have a remarkable comeback from that injury and had a phenomenal season in '72 alongside West. From what I've read, that may have been his greatest defensive season, and while I can't have the same perspective on that season, it seems like he was probably the second best player in the league that year, while West could've been top 3 despite his shooting slump during the playoffs. Obviously, we know that they were part of one of the all-time great teams.

jlauber
02-09-2012, 10:53 AM
The way Shaq and Kobe played in the 2001 playoffs is the gold standard for duos, imo. Talk about pick your poison. If you didn't double Shaq aggressively, you were pretty much conceding 35-40 points and 15-20 rebounds while your frontline was in foul trouble. And then you had Kobe on the perimeter who was attacking the basket as aggressively as he has in his career while excelling as the team's facilitator. He was fitting his offense perfectly into the team, while also adding quite a few of his points in transition and semi-transition, which also made the duo work better with Shaq being the focal point of the halfcourt offense. And when Kobe did look to score in the halfcourt, he'd blow by his man and force the help to come over or else he'd finish over anyone(for proof of this watch the WCF when the twin towers didn't deter him), but if they did, there was also Shaq in the paint and Kobe would find him. You had Shaq averaging 30+/15+/3+ and Kobe averaging 29+/7+/6+. All on a 15-1 team that was embarrassing talented teams. That's 60/23/9 between just 2 players vs some very good defensive teams(Spurs and Sixers were both top 5). They were the 2 best offensive players in the game, Shaq was back to playing his 2000 level defense, and Kobe was arguably the best perimeter defender at the time. That may be the season when you can make the best case that a team had the 2 best players in the game.

Jordan and Pippen were the greatest perimeter duo. Arguably the 2 best perimeter defenders of all time, and what made the duo work so well was that there was arguably the greatest scorer ever, but he was playing alongside Pippen who became the team's primary facilitator, which allowed Jordan to play off the ball more, which made his scoring work better with the team, imo and also made it so he didn't have to average 35 while setting everyone up 24/7. They were deadly in transition, and it was even better that their positions were pretty much interchangeable with Pippen being the de-facto point guard, and Jordan actually being more of the forward in the team's offense. They were probably at their best as a duo in '96. Pippen had improved his overall game and had become an effective post player, a smarter defender and was probably helped by the year and a half where he was his team's leader. Jordan also hadn't fallen off that much. He had lost a bit athletically, but it didn't hurt him all that much since he had already shot a lot of jumpers by the time Phil took over, and was still athletic anyway. But while he had proven capable of scoring in the post whenever the match up presented itself in the early 90's, he did even more work down there second 3peat and was flat out unguardable. The biggest difference between '96 Jordan and '90-'93 Jordan was that he had lost some stamina which made it so he couldn't use the same energy at both ends as frequently. Obviously, Jordan won MVP by a landslide, and Pippen was also getting some MVP talk, and was probably playing the best basketball of his career in the first half before that ankle injury.

But a lot of duos deserve to be mentioned. Bird and McHale were amazing from '86-'88. And Bird and Parish were a formidable pick and roll duo themselves for that matter. But aside from Shaq/Kobe, has any duo been better than Bird and McHale in the '86 playoffs? Bird averaged 26/9/8, 52 FG%/62 TS% and McHale averaged 25/9/3, 58 FG%/64 TS%. But those numbers don't begin to explain how good Bird was as far as his passing or taking over games from his masterful all around finals to some incredible individual displays during the Hawks series. McHale also looked as unstoppable as a post scorer can and showed his defensive versatility by guarding Nique in the semifinals. They were also extremely consistent game by game during that run.

Obviously Magic and Kareem as well, though it's a shame their primes didn't overlap. Kareem was at the tail end of his prime when Magic entered the league while Kareem was 39-40 by the time Magic really hit his prime, but that duo worked really well with Magic leading the transition game and Kareem being the focal point of their halfcourt offense and the best post player for most of that era.

Kareem and Oscar seemed very effective in '71, I wish more footage was available, but they led a dominant team and despite being in his 2nd year, Kareem was most likely the best player in the game. Oscar was past his prime, but Kareem talks a lot about how effective Oscar still was in his book "Giant Steps" and how good he was at getting Kareem the ball in good position. From the limited footage available(regular season game vs Knicks and 2nd half of game 4 of the finals), you can see how good he was at finding his teammates as well as his mid-range shot and strength backing guards down.

As far as big man duos, Duncan and Robinson their first 3-4 years together would be hard to top. They may have been the greatest defensive duo of all time. Both were good passers and elite shot blockers/interior defenders who could face up and shoot or drive. Duncan was also one of the best back to the basket players and probably more comfortable being the man putting Robinson in a role where he could excel despite the fact that Robinson himself was still a 20/10 caliber player as late as 2000, while Duncan entered the league very polished and poised. Tim may have been as close to his prime level as a rookie/second year player as any great player aside from maybe Kareem.

Wilt and Hal Greer were probably one of the best as well, particularly in '67. Lebron and Wade are also an unusual duo. Like Shaq and Kobe, you they're one of 2 cases that I can think of where a team had arguably the top 2 players in the game. They may not be a natural fit alongside each other, but I think they're more comfortable with each other this season, especially since they're running more. But we haven't been able to see it as much with Wade's early injuries.

Malone and Stockton are another obvious one due to how well their games fit together. Both made the other one better more than any other great duo I can think of.

True, but he did have a remarkable comeback from that injury and had a phenomenal season in '72 alongside West. From what I've read, that may have been his greatest defensive season, and while I can't have the same perspective on that season, it seems like he was probably the second best player in the league that year, while West could've been top 3 despite his shooting slump during the playoffs. Obviously, we know that they were part of one of the all-time great teams.

Pretty much an end to the thread.

pauk
02-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Payton & Kemp was very entertaining

La Frescobaldi
02-09-2012, 03:53 PM

ShaqAttack with deep basketball knowledge on display

hkfosho
02-09-2012, 04:19 PM
u guys forgot nash and stoudemire!!!

Cowboy Thunder
02-09-2012, 04:32 PM

probably the best jerseys of all time. I had the Payton one as a kid.

get these NETS
02-09-2012, 04:34 PM
chris childs' two piece against kobe...

..oh.....wrong answer

Cowboy Thunder
02-09-2012, 04:38 PM
http://sportsmedia.ign.com/sports/image/article/868/868378/nba-jam-a-retrospective-20080421033458710.jpg

Heavy D and Reggie Miller > *

Scholar
02-09-2012, 04:52 PM

Those shoes VC is rocking in that picture look so fly, even though they are 10+ years old. I think he wore the same ones (or at least same style) during the 2000 Dunk Contest.