PDA

View Full Version : Magic: "Lin plays like John Stockton and Steve Nash"

Nick Young
02-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Great PG recognizes great PGs, goddamn Magic looked really impressed when he was saying this too. Lin seems legit, why couldnt he get burn at shitty Golden State?

StateOfMind12
02-10-2012, 10:28 PM
Great PG recognizes great PGs, goddamn Magic looked really impressed when he was saying this too. Lin seems legit, why couldnt he get burn at shitty Golden State?
Because they already have Monta Ellis and Steph Curry, two proven and productive guards. Lin is perfect for NY though and I can't wait to see him dominate with Amare. They still have no shot against the Bulls though. :D

G-Funk
02-10-2012, 10:29 PM
i noticed that too

Yung D-Will
02-10-2012, 10:29 PM
They tell me Rubio plays like Kidd and Nash.

KDthunderup
02-10-2012, 10:30 PM
Is their a time frame for Amares return? Is he still mourning or is he looking to get back soon.

Real Men Wear Green
02-10-2012, 10:31 PM
Doesn't remind me of Stockton at all. He likes pick and roll but if that's all it takes it'd be hard to find a pg that isn't like Stockton. Lin seems to be much more of a scorer attacking the basket. He can pass but Stockton didn't throw no-looks.

SteveNashMVPcro
02-10-2012, 10:35 PM
He can't shoot like Nash or Stockton...

FindingTim
02-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Magic's just having fun getting the hype train rolling :lol
because frankly, there aren't many Stockton similarities (from what I've seen)

StateOfMind12
02-10-2012, 10:49 PM
With that being said, Jeremy Lin plays like Tony Parker if he plays like anybody.

chairman
02-10-2012, 10:51 PM
With that being said, Jeremy Lin plays like Tony Parker if he plays like anybody.
What's with the pic of lebron?

demons2005
02-10-2012, 10:54 PM
So Lin is a pauper's Stockton. Rose is a legit next Isiah with an MVP already. I know who I'll take. I would also take DWill, Nash, and Rondo ahead of Lin with my eyes closed

ACCBaller1403
02-10-2012, 11:00 PM
So Lin is a pauper's Stockton. Rose is a legit next Isiah with an MVP already. I know who I'll take. I would also take DWill, Nash, and Rondo ahead of Lin with my eyes closed

Does it get tough having to defend Rose in multiple threads when people don't even bring him up?

I'm sure everyone would take those three ahead of Lin too. Why can't you just feel good for a guy making a living when no one gave him a chance?

kumquat
02-11-2012, 12:42 AM
Good comparison to Parker.

brisbaneman
02-11-2012, 12:44 AM

Simple answer-because he is Asian.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
02-11-2012, 12:49 AM
His ability to finish at the rim reminds me of Manu; high iq like Nash though.

vinsane01
02-11-2012, 12:51 AM
I agree more with the parker comparison.

mikek85
02-11-2012, 12:54 AM
Yep, he really does remind me of parker too. If he can get up to parker's level, couple that with Amare and Melo it could turn out real good.

Melo can be a real teamkiller though, in terms of chemistry

christian1923
02-11-2012, 12:55 AM
More like drose

OldSchoolBBall
02-11-2012, 01:29 AM
Good comparison to Parker.

Yup. Parker with less speed but far better shooting and better vision.

bizil
02-11-2012, 01:51 AM
The thing about Lin is he is 6'3 and 200 pounds. Size wise, he's similar to D Will and a Billups. I think so far he is a very good passer with a nice grasp of the PG position. He know he has to score more because Amare and Melo are out. But when they come back, I see him cutting down on the scoring and focusing on running the show more. I see more traits of Nash than Stockton cause Nash himself is 6'3. But even at that, he's nowhere near Nash's level in terms of running the show and shooting the 3ball as of now. If anything, Lin is a steal and eases the Knicks troubles at PG. If B Diddy can come back close to what he was, they have a devastating combo at PG. I've seen some say he's a better version of a Dragic, which seems like a good comparison at this point.

mikek85
02-11-2012, 01:54 AM
The thing about Lin is he is 6'3 and 200 pounds. Size wise, he's similar to D Will and a Billups. I think so far he is a very good passer with a nice grasp of the PG position. He know he has to score more because Amare and Melo are out. But when they come back, I see him cutting down on the scoring and focusing on running the show more. I see more traits of Nash than Stockton cause Nash himself is 6'3. But even at that, he's nowhere near Nash's level in terms of running the show and shooting the 3ball as of now. If anything, Lin is a steal and eases the Knicks troubles at PG. If B Diddy can come back close to what he was, they have a devastating combo at PG. I've seen some say he's a better version of a Dragic, which seems like a good comparison at this point.

I'm actually pretty excited for the Knicks even though I'm not a big fan.

The Knicks don't need a scoring PG. They need someone to distribute and manage the floor. Lin has good vision and can do that. He can also score if need be. Knicks got a steal when they drafted Lin.

rmt
02-11-2012, 01:57 AM
I don't get the Parker comparison. Lin's got way more natural court vision/passing ability than Parker. It's only now (after 11 years) that Parker's a decent passer - but still can't pass to RJ on a fast break.

Lin's created a buzz though. Even my grand-aunt asked about him today.

StateOfMind12
02-11-2012, 02:56 AM
Yup. Parker with less speed but far better shooting and better vision.
The shooting is actually about equal. I actually like the Manu comparison in the other thread. He might be like a hybrid of Parker and Manu.

Smoke117
02-11-2012, 02:57 AM

Stockton was not close to the shooter Steve Nash is. The thing about Stockton is he was incredibly smart and only took good looks with not much of a high level of difficulty. He was never really an aggressive scorer. He couldn't take over a game with his shooting like Nash could that's for sure. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just that Stockton's efficiency is a little misleading as he was never taking shots that guys like Steve Nash or Ray Allen have on a regular basis and isn't really close to one of the best shooters of all time.

donald_trump
02-11-2012, 02:58 AM
magic has no clue what hes talking about. hes the biggest bandwagoner i've seen in terms of tv staff.

parker comparison is great. i think there is a lot of andre miller in his game. same type of moves to the basket. lots of hesitation and rocking to sleep. although he does have a nice midrange shot unlike miller.

bdreason
02-11-2012, 03:46 AM
Lin seems legit, why couldnt he get burn at shitty Golden State?

Because Curry is way better? And so is Monta.

Honestly, I'm happy for the kid, but I can't wait until he comes back down to earth so people will stop the mania.

Leon.Pown
02-11-2012, 07:21 AM

thank you, captain obvious ****tard. maybe next you will say you'd take magic himself over lin with your eyes closed! worst poster in the history of the linternet.

Harison
02-11-2012, 07:44 AM

Pretty much, Lin is nothing like Stockton, nor reminds me of Nash either.

Still its nice to see flourishing talent appearing from nowhere. How many of us expected Lin to play like this as a starter? Nobody IMO.

Nick Young
02-11-2012, 08:34 AM
Nash 6'3? WTF? I stood next to the signing and I had atleast an inch on him AND I'M JUST 6'1!!!

Nick Young
02-11-2012, 08:36 AM

Still its nice to see flourishing talent appearing from nowhere. How many of us expected Lin to play like this as a starter? Nobody IMO.
He said Lin has a hesitation move he does after a screen, something he's only seen Nash and John Stockton do, and then he runs the pick to perfection like those guys.

That was what he said, I made it out of context abit leaving that part out of OP :P

SteveNashMVPcro
02-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Nash 6'3? WTF? I stood next to the signing and I had atleast an inch on him AND I'M JUST 6'1!!!
Yeah Nash isn't 6'3 he's 6'2 at best maybe even 6'1
look at him standing next to a 6'4 Dragic
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Goran+Dragic+Portland+Trail+Blazers+v+Phoenix+Gh7Z vUYGirml.jpg
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/1030/nba_g_nashpaul_580.jpg
here's he next to CP3 who is 6'0 and he has maybe an inch on him

bluechox2
02-11-2012, 09:35 AM

he didnt just space jam it in one day

ILLsmak
02-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Stockton was not close to the shooter Steve Nash is. The thing about Stockton is he was incredibly smart and only took good looks with not much of a high level of difficulty. He was never really an aggressive scorer. He couldn't take over a game with his shooting like Nash could that's for sure. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just that Stockton's efficiency is a little misleading as he was never taking shots that guys like Steve Nash or Ray Allen have on a regular basis and isn't really close to one of the best shooters of all time.

Stockton was a great shooter. I don't see a big difference at all between his looks and Steve Nash's looks except that one plays in a fast breaking system and one played in a very strict offensive system.

I don't think Stockton's efficiency is misleading at all; most of the people who played against him know he almost always made the right decision.

-Smak

jlauber
02-11-2012, 10:35 AM
Stockton was a great shooter. I don't see a big difference at all between his looks and Steve Nash's looks except that one plays in a fast breaking system and one played in a very strict offensive system.

I don't think Stockton's efficiency is misleading at all; most of the people who played against him know he almost always made the right decision.

-Smak

Aside from Nash making more specatcular plays, the two are/were nearly identical. IMHO, those two illustrate the fact that a player doesn't have to be a 6-6 high-jump champion to be a dominant NBA guard. Two of the most fundamentally sound and efficient NBA players of all-time.

rhythmic
02-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Lin honestly will fall back down to earth, he's playing with confidence and is hot. Lets see how he does when he hits a wall; will he ever get back on track?

People love to over-exaggerate.

swi7ch
02-11-2012, 11:27 AM

Good thing he's only 23 so he can work on shooting like Nash or Stockton! :bowdown:

christian1923
02-11-2012, 11:31 AM
[QUOTE=rhythmic

hawkfan
02-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Shu-How is like a smaller Manu with better handles.

bagelred
02-11-2012, 01:19 PM
[QUOTE=rhythmic

Dwyane Rose
02-11-2012, 01:37 PM
He doesn't have to hit a Wall. He just breaks his ankles, and slams it down.

:applause:

Linners unite!

bmulls
02-11-2012, 01:39 PM
He doesn't have to hit a Wall. He just breaks his ankles, and slams it down.

:roll:

:cheers: