PDA

View Full Version : Iverson Turns Down the Lakers

AirTupac
02-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Last time we discussed a potential return to the NBA’s hardwood for Allen Iverson, anything seemed possible. The humbled former superstar stated as recently as November that he was looking for work anywhere stateside, and he sounded more than willing to put in the hard work necessary. Just as long as that hard work doesn’t constitute polishing his skills in the D-League, according to a report from BlackSportsOnline which states the Los Angeles Lakers had offered the Answer a spot on their farm team, the L.A. D-Fenders.

My face is firmly bedded in my palm as I type this. Iverson doesn’t have the right to be picky at this point in his career. The clout that surrounded his name five years ago has evaporated, and, no matter how he sees himself, he definitely has something to prove to NBA coaches. Should he be given another chance, Iverson offering 50 percent of what he was in his prime can still make a difference on the floor. But behavior like this only widens the gap between that scenario and reality. I love Iverson, and want to see him go out on top. But if he keeps biting the hand that feeds, that’s never going to happen.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/nbacardDOTnet/zz%20NBA%20Photo%20Gallery/Allen%20Iverson/4%20The%20Answer%20-%20Grizzlies/091028.gif
http://smokingsection.uproxx.com/TSS/2012/02/allen-iverson-turns-down-los-angeles-lakers

Bob Cousy
02-13-2012, 01:11 PM
bwahahaha

Faptastrophe
02-13-2012, 01:14 PM
http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/FISHERCLAP.gif

PJR
02-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Iverson got way too much pride for that shit.

roffie
02-13-2012, 01:16 PM
Iverson got way too much pride for that shit.

future HoFer gettin offered a spot on a d-league team.. i would too.

HylianNightmare
02-13-2012, 01:16 PM
too proud, looks like we won't see him in the NBA ever again

Bob Cousy
02-13-2012, 01:18 PM
future HoFer gettin offered a spot on a d-league team.. i would too.
he eventually would have made it to our bench anyways.:confusedshrug:

:oldlol:

Killbot
02-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Misleading title.

Yeah, it's the right decision by Iverson.

scm5
02-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Well. to be honest, I wouldn't be interested in joining the D-League either if I were in his shoes.

Iverson has had a HOF Career, and for him to be asked to join the D-League is disrespectful.

I doubt Iverson is really hurting for money... especially D-League or Vet's minimum money considering the amount he has made in his career.

Bob Cousy
02-13-2012, 01:20 PM
Most likely he thinks Lakers will put him as a bench player. :facepalm
all he had to do was go to the farm and sharpen up against a few scrubs for a week or 2, then he could have had a starting spot for a championship caliber team.

AirTupac
02-13-2012, 01:20 PM
Well. to be honest, I wouldn't be interested in joining the D-League either if I were in his shoes.

Iverson has had a HOF Career, and for him to be asked to join the D-League is disrespectful.

I doubt Iverson is really hurting for money... especially D-League or Vet's minimum money considering the amount he has made in his career.

Last I heard, he blew a lot of money and doesn't have that much left.

brain drain
02-13-2012, 01:21 PM
Swag!

Killbot
02-13-2012, 01:22 PM
all he had to do was go to the farm and sharpen up against a few scrubs for a week or 2, then he could have had a starting spot for a championship caliber team.

Iverson is better than most of the Lakers bench players right now and they don't get sent to the D-league.

Bob Cousy
02-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Iverson is better than most of the Lakers bench players right now and they don't get sent to the D-league.
but they're playing against NBA talent weekly ...

anything else you wanna add ?

AirTupac
02-13-2012, 01:26 PM
On one hand, I see how Iverson feels disrespected. There are so many terrible players who at least get bench roles and yet they expect him to go to the D-League. However, it wouldn't take long for him to make the team, I mean really... how many career games do PG's have to have for L.A to realize that ANYTHING is better than what we currently have.

kurple
02-13-2012, 01:27 PM
:applause:

keep it real

Killbot
02-13-2012, 01:27 PM
but they're playing against NBA talent weekly ...

anything else you wanna add ?

Not really. Some rot on the bench and only gets time in blowouts. That is hardly playing against NBA talent.

Bob Cousy
02-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Not really. Some rot on the bench and only gets time in blowouts. That is hardly playing against NBA talent.
practice.

Kevin_Gamble
02-13-2012, 01:30 PM

Heard from whom? ISH posters who say that about every single black player?

Killbot
02-13-2012, 01:31 PM
practice.

With the condensed schedule, there is hardly any practice going on. I think an article mentioned that Doug Collins' 76ers haven't practiced since January something. :confusedshrug:

GOBB
02-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Is BlackSportsOnline a credible site? Never heard of them.

JMT
02-13-2012, 01:32 PM

He's been reportedly trying to set up a deal with a team in Puerto Rico that pays $20,000 a month, and court documents filed in his divorce show that he's blown through about 80% of what he made in the NBA...and that's while he's still been receiving checks! He's 36, has a soon-to-be ex-wife and five kids that he owes a TON of money to.

AI has also never been renowned for his off-season conditioning. His body type was such that he didn't gain much weight and, as a young person, that will help you to slide by. The metabolism slows down at his age, and he hasn't played real ball in over a year.

He's a fool for not taking the Lakers offer. It'll scare away other potential suitors who will take from this that (a) he's not in shape and (b) he's not willing to do what it takes to get there. If he wouldn't swallow his pride and make a sacrifice for a good Lakers team, then why would anyone think he's going to be anything but me-first anyplace else?

I'm a huge fan of AI. Sixers fan for 40+ years and loved the effort the guy brought to the floor every night. But he's his own worst enemy, and this is just another example.

MiseryCityTexas
02-13-2012, 01:38 PM

lmao iverson's 30 plus. he too old, and had too much of a past history of succeeding in the nba to play in the d-league.

HurricaneKid
02-13-2012, 01:39 PM

Whatnow?

Bob Cousy
02-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Whatnow?
you heard me biatch.:rockon:

GOBB
02-13-2012, 01:53 PM
So no one knows if this is a credible source or not? :confusedshrug:

ImmortalNemesis
02-13-2012, 01:54 PM
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/nbacardDOTnet/zz%20NBA%20Photo%20Gallery/Allen%20Iverson/4%20The%20Answer%20-%20Grizzlies/091028.gif
http://smokingsection.uproxx.com/TSS/2012/02/allen-iverson-turns-down-los-angeles-lakers

:oldlol:

Crown&Coke
02-13-2012, 01:55 PM
the Lakers are known to do this, they want to see what his health is like.

They wanted Webber back before they had Pau, but they wanted him to play 2 consecutive 10 day deals before inking him for the remainder of the season. CWebb balked, signed with GSW instead. Played like 5 games and got shut down for the season because his knee was jacked.

AI wants to play in the NBA, not the D-League. I can't blame him, but I can understand why he declined. Its not like this is Jamaal Tinsley here, this is AI. But still, dude is 35, teams want to see what he has left.

LA_Showtime
02-13-2012, 01:59 PM
I don't blame him for turning down a D-League offer. Had he signed with them and subsequently got cut that would've been even more embarrassing then signing with them in the first place, and would've all but ended his shot at a comeback.

Jotaro Durant
02-13-2012, 02:00 PM
fave shooting guard i want him back in prime:cry:

rmt
02-13-2012, 02:06 PM
D-League - that's insulting.

AngelEyes
02-13-2012, 02:08 PM

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/1/31/2761217/the-tragedy-of-allen-iverson

Haymaker
02-13-2012, 02:11 PM
FFS, you don't send a veteran like AI to the D-league, you just work him out and sign him or you don't. Not even Eric Dampier receives such treatment.

AngelEyes
02-13-2012, 02:14 PM

http://www.ajc.com/news/gwinnett/judge-jeweler-can-garnish-1325376.html

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2012-01-30/judge-orders-iversons-wages-garnished-to-pay-jewelry-bill

http://tracking.si.com/2012/01/31/report-judge-garners-allen-iversons-wages-to-repay-jewelry-debt/

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/01/tuesday-and-1-links-judge-tells-allen-iverson-to-pay-up/

http://articles.philly.com/2012-01-31/sports/31008557_1_tim-tebow-hard-rock-hotel-broncos-quarterback

kurple
02-13-2012, 02:14 PM
So no one knows if this is a credible source or not? :confusedshrug:
i'm sure its not

Deuce Bigalow
02-13-2012, 02:20 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/11qtjio.jpg

M.V.W.
02-13-2012, 02:24 PM
practice.

Practice? We talkin' bout practice!

StroShow4
02-13-2012, 02:33 PM

Damn, he doesn't need a ring. Look at that f@cking thing. :eek:

Bob Cousy
02-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Damn, he doesn't need a ring. Look at that f@cking thing. :eek:
thats why he was playing for food scrapes in Croatia ...

because of material items like that diamond ring.:hammerhead:

ILLsmak
02-13-2012, 02:44 PM
practice.

Which is exactly why AI should get to be on their actual roster.

-Smak

Maga_1
02-13-2012, 02:47 PM

:facepalm

tomtucker
02-13-2012, 02:51 PM
Lakers pissing on A.I........kinda harsh

tomtucker
02-13-2012, 02:54 PM

that is how life is....no food, but you gotta have the new Jordans..........(not the new 2012 version however)

Bob Cousy
02-13-2012, 02:56 PM
:facepalm
Or was it Turkey ? :confusedshrug: :oldlol:

who cares ? irrelevant either way.

DKLaker
02-13-2012, 03:00 PM

Iverson could wake up from a coma, walk 10 miles to the Arena and still be better than any Lakers PG

TheFrozenOne
02-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Watched 30 for 30 ...

A.I. = B!7ch made....beats up girls instead of dudes and then has to go to a country club for 3 months...

gets out and acts all hard:facepalm

a spoiled Brat too...everyone in his hometown let him do whatever he wanted because he was a great athlete....no wonder he turned out a bum.

Fugazi.

strifed169
02-13-2012, 03:10 PM

"ay **** you little ph4ggot ass b1tch"

lol

Bob Cousy
02-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Iverson could wake up from a coma, walk 10 miles to the Arena and still be better than any Lakers PG
correct.

midatlantic09
02-13-2012, 03:20 PM
They just want to see if he's serious or not about coming back and helping the team win games.

AMISTILLILL
02-13-2012, 03:24 PM

His financial woes are widely documented.

JMT
02-13-2012, 03:25 PM
correct.

Yet the Lakers ... the team in such desperate need that they brought him in for a workout ... didn't see enough to sign him on the spot.

AI at his prime? Certainly. AI a couple years past his prime? No doubt.

But AI now is old, out of game shape, hasn't played competitively in over a year, and has never shown the willingness to be a complimentary player.

Bob Cousy
02-13-2012, 03:26 PM
Yet the Lakers ... the team in such desperate need that they brought him in for a workout ... didn't see enough to sign him on the spot.

But AI now is old, out of game shape, hasn't played competitively in over a year, and has never shown the willingness to be a complimentary player.
also correct.

I'd take him anyways tho.

AMISTILLILL
02-13-2012, 03:32 PM
I think the D-League offer is less about testing his overall playing ability and more about his willingness to defer and follow orders. It's pretty well established the guy refuses to take bench roles on teams and is as stubborn as stubborn gets. Agreeing to swallow his pride and spend a short period of time in the D-League would speak volumes about Iverson's supposed change for the humble. And, let's be honest, it's not like he'd be relegated there for long. A week or so, tops.

I doubt this source is legitimate anyways, so we're likely discussing a totally false story.

Kevin_Gamble
02-13-2012, 05:13 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/1/31/2761217/the-tragedy-of-allen-iverson

All this article says is Iverson did not pay for some jewelry and the store went to court to recover by garnishing his bank accounts. It is truly far fetched to go from there to concluding that Iverson is so broke that he can't pay for his bling, not even forgetting that he actually could pay for his bling, and did, after the court ordered garnishment.

Eric Cartman
02-13-2012, 05:19 PM
Turned down by Puerto Rican team, then proceeds to turn down the Lakers. This is parallel universe type stuff here.

Nash
02-13-2012, 05:25 PM
**** Lakers, can't be disrespecting a legend like that. There are so many shitty players in the league and they ask Iverson to do that? Its like they're trying to humiliate him. Well done Iverson, don't take that crap.

G-train
02-13-2012, 05:50 PM
LOL how is this disrespecting a legend?
So teams should just automatically give up a roster spot for a former player that needs cash? He needs to prove himself.
Dumb move by Iverson if true. A few good games in D-League and he would be on their roster.

G-train
02-13-2012, 05:56 PM

He might beat any Lakers PG one on one, but that's not really relevant to playing good individual and team D, being a good role playing team mate, deferring to Bynum, Pau and Kobe, making team first decisions on every possession, etc.

CLTHornets4eva
02-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Turned down by Puerto Rican team, then proceeds to turn down the Lakers. This is parallel universe type stuff here.

He turned down DLeague not Lakers.

If he was to join a team for money, he would play in Europe again but that aint happening.

I've seen him in ATL in a Lambo, so guy still has a little cheese.

CLTHornets4eva
02-13-2012, 06:09 PM

So true.:applause:

I think the ego would hurt more than help.

jbryan1984
02-13-2012, 06:12 PM
http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/FISHERCLAP.gif

This got the lol of the day for me.

Eric Cartman
02-13-2012, 06:54 PM
I'm getting tired of people here saying that Fisher sucks. Nothing but a bunch of sick & disgusting lies. If this ain't sarcasm i don't know what is.

HurricaneKid
02-13-2012, 07:00 PM
you heard me biatch.:rockon:

Oh I heard the words. I just think its rather laughable that you think a team that is ONE GAME away from being out of the top 8 seeds (and missing the playoffs) is going to grab a 35 yr old chucker no one wants and get him to play a position he has never played at a level that could bring said team to championship level.

pegasus
02-13-2012, 07:03 PM
I'm getting tired of people here saying that Fisher sucks. Nothing but a bunch of sick & disgusting lies.

Someone must have deleted your white text:D

swi7ch
02-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Total disrespect. NBA MVP, perennial all-star, scoring leader, future HoF, etc...

D-LEAGUE??? :facepalm

RaininTwos
02-13-2012, 07:08 PM
Someone must have deleted your white text:D
I agree with you.

irondarts
02-13-2012, 07:10 PM
He wouldn't come off the bench in Memphis, you think he's going to the D-League?

"I don't see no first team all NBA players playing in the D-League, I don't see any franchise players playing in the D-League, I don't know any All stars who play in the D-League, why Allen Iverson?"

Jasper
02-13-2012, 07:59 PM
I'm getting tired of people here saying that Fisher sucks. Nothing but a bunch of sick & disgusting lies. If this ain't sarcasm i don't know what is.
fish = 5 rings <= Kobe coatails

Burgz
02-13-2012, 08:24 PM

i remember he addressed that in a press conference last year

he said his finances are in order, he just wants to play, money isnt the problem, its his role on whatever team he plays for

MeLO MvP 15
02-13-2012, 08:41 PM
The truth is it shows that he's probably washed up. And that's coming from me, someone who has continuously said he could still perform in the NBA right now. I mean think about it, he'd have to be worried that he wouldn't completely dominate the DLeague for 2-3 games to actually reject. So sad to see this from one of my favorite players.

nbaballllller
02-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Total disrespect. NBA MVP, perennial all-star, scoring leader, future HoF, etc...

Yeha because he is a freakin cancer and now at 36 doesnt have much game left

Always thinking about himself. not willing to work for the team.

Lakers gave him a chnace to prove his worth.

But hes too arrogant to go for it

Dudes going to be broke and alone very soon (if hes not already)

DirtySanchez
02-13-2012, 08:51 PM
Man....the Defenders? Practice? With the Defenders? Practice?

mattvNJ
02-13-2012, 08:55 PM
apparently he has a 5 million a year life time deal with reebok haha... so i doubt hell be broke any time soon unless that man buys a rocket ship. He also announced his finances are in order. I wouldn't go to the D-league if i was him either. Come off the bench, god knows he can make the lakers bench right now.

DirtySanchez
02-13-2012, 09:01 PM
apparently he has a 5 million a year life time deal with reebok haha... so i doubt hell be broke any time soon unless that man buys a rocket ship. He also announced his finances are in order. I wouldn't go to the D-league if i was him either. Come off the bench, god knows he can make the lakers bench right now.

What was Reebox thinking?

Stat & Melo
02-13-2012, 09:12 PM

Doubt he's hurting for money? U forget he's a uneducated hood *****?

RazorBaLade
02-13-2012, 09:18 PM
If I was Iverson i would LOVE to go into the D league and score 50 every game so I can prove I still hvae it and get called up to an NBA team.

Perhaps the guy wants to get on a team because of what he was 5 years ago instead of risking having to prove who he is right now.

MeLO MvP 15
02-13-2012, 09:42 PM
If I was Iverson i would LOVE to go into the D league and score 50 every game so I can prove I still hvae it and get called up to an NBA team.

Perhaps the guy wants to get on a team because of what he was 5 years ago instead of risking having to prove who he is right now.
That's what I'm thinking. I honestly think he sees that he probably can't even drop 50 in the DLeague so he doesn't want to have to prove himself and potentially tarnish his legacy.

rodman91
02-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Couldn't they offer 10 day contract or something? D-League is more like disrespecting than an actual offering.

mattvNJ
02-13-2012, 10:05 PM
What was Reebox thinking?

idk but he's getting paid, and i guess they thought he wouldn't be blackballed and playing in random ass countries after the production he put up and the star power he had. companies do weird shit to show loyalty to their customers and endorsed players.

longtime lurker
02-13-2012, 10:35 PM
Man this could have been Iverson's last chance to get into the league. Yes he's better than a stint in the d league but at this point he's past his prime and over the hill and the Lakers have to see if he can still even play. Sometimes you have to go two steps back to take a leap forward.

Bob Cousy
02-13-2012, 10:47 PM
idk but he's getting paid, and i guess they thought he wouldn't be blackballed and playing in random ass countries after the production he put up and the star power he had. companies do weird shit to show loyalty to their customers and endorsed players.
POST OF THE FREAKING DAY.:applause:

markymark
02-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Man this could have been Iverson's last chance to get into the league. Yes he's better than a stint in the d league but at this point he's past his prime and over the hill and the Lakers have to see if he can still even play. Sometimes you have to go two steps back to take a leap forward.

Two steps back? He already went 10 steps back when he played in Turkey.

hawkfan
02-14-2012, 12:38 PM
AI can come to Atlanta and provide some scoring off our bench.
We need it.

JMT
02-14-2012, 12:48 PM

The Reebok deal is estimated to have been about 26% of his annual income over the last several years. During that same time, court documents show he has spent 80% of everything he earned since he came into the league. Some estimtes are that his average annual spending has run somewhere around $15 million.

People make the mistake of looking only at the income, not the spending habits. They talk about AI's house outside Philly...on which he still has a huge mortgage.

$5 million a year is a lot of money unless you live like you make $20 million...and have an ex-wife and 5 kids who get half of what you make.

Kevin_Gamble
02-14-2012, 01:01 PM
The Reebok deal is estimated to have been about 26% of his annual income over the last several years. During that same time, court documents show he has spent 80% of everything he earned since he came into the league. Some estimtes are that his average annual spending has run somewhere around $15 million.

People make the mistake of looking only at the income, not the spending habits. They talk about AI's house outside Philly...on which he still has a huge mortgage.

$5 million a year is a lot of money unless you live like you make $20 million...and have an ex-wife and 5 kids who get half of what you make.

Stop talking about nonexistent "court documents" that you have never seen or details of Iverson's divorce settlement that you know nothing about. You know nothing about Iverson's finances and you most definitely know nothing about Iverson's divorce settlement, which hasn't happened yet.

InfiniteBaskets
02-14-2012, 01:32 PM

If the GOAT had to play in the D-League, then Iverson's decision should be a no brainer.

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/gallery/2012/NBA/Jeremy%20Lin/s120212_16dleague-pg-horizontal.jpg

JMT
02-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Stop talking about nonexistent "court documents" that you have never seen or details of Iverson's divorce settlement that you know nothing about. You know nothing about Iverson's finances and you most definitely know nothing about Iverson's divorce settlement, which hasn't happened yet.

Allen Iverson earned over $150 million in salary alone during his NBA career.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/i/iversal01.html

His Reebok deal was initially 10 years/ $50 million, and was extended in Nov 2001 to a lifetime deal estimated at $5 million per year.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2001/11/Issue-54/Sponsorships-Advertising-Marketing/If-The-Shoe-Fits-Iverson-Reebok-Settle-On-A-Lifetime-Deal.aspx

In December 2011, in initial papers filed as aprt of his divorce settlement, Iverson stated his net wealth as $20 million (a figure his wife deinies; she of course says it's much higher).

http://minorityfortune.com/liabilities/allen-iverson-emptying-joint-account-with-wife-out-of-spite/

Add up his salary and Reebok deal. If that's the ONLY money he made...and we all know it isn't... $20 million in net worth means he's spent more than 80% of all his income since he entered the NBA. Just as I said.

It's been 16 years since Iverson entered the NBA. Again, if the salary and Reebok money is all that he made, it would total somewhere around $250 million. To spend that down to $20 mil over the course of 16 years would mean he spent an estimated $14-15 million annually. Just as I said.

In the last 18 months, he's faced foreclosure on his home in Denver, which he bought for $3.8 million and reduced to $2.75 in an effort to sell.

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-03-09/sports/30087367_1_wine-room-allen-iverson-zillow

His home in Villanova, PA was on sale for more than a year until he reduced the price to a million less than he paid for it several months ago. I don't know the resolution of that property.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/For-sale-Allen-Iverson-s-six-bedroom-home-in-Vi?urn=nba-106478

There are multiple reports about his alcohol and gambling problems, which have resulted in him being banned from casinos in Detroit and Atlantic City, NJ. Here's one.

http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba-news-and-rumors/articles/81362-allen-iverson-banned-from-multiple-casinos

He's in divorce proceedings with his ex-wife and will undoubtedly be required to pay child support for his 5 children. Just as I said.

So what exactly is your issue? This stuff's all readily available with minimal research.

ETA: Oh, and this just in. Georgia judge has frozen his bank account over unpaid debt.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201202/allen-iverson-has-no-answer-financial-woes

Kevin_Gamble
02-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Allen Iverson earned over $150 million in salary alone during his NBA career.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/i/iversal01.html

His Reebok deal was initially 10 years/ $50 million, and was extended in Nov 2001 to a lifetime deal estimated at $5 million per year.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2001/11/Issue-54/Sponsorships-Advertising-Marketing/If-The-Shoe-Fits-Iverson-Reebok-Settle-On-A-Lifetime-Deal.aspx

In December 2011, in initial papers filed as aprt of his divorce settlement, Iverson stated his net wealth as $20 million (a figure his wife deinies; she of course says it's much higher).

http://minorityfortune.com/liabilities/allen-iverson-emptying-joint-account-with-wife-out-of-spite/

Add up his salary and Reebok deal. If that's the ONLY money he made...and we all know it isn't... $20 million in net worth means he's spent more than 80% of all his income since he entered the NBA. Just as I said.

It's been 16 years since Iverson entered the NBA. Again, if the salary and Reebok money is all that he made, it would total somewhere around $250 million. To spend that down to $20 mil over the course of 16 years would mean he spent an estimated $14-15 million annually. Just as I said.

In the last 18 months, he's faced foreclosure on his home in Denver, which he bought for $3.8 million and reduced to $2.75 in an effort to sell.

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-03-09/sports/30087367_1_wine-room-allen-iverson-zillow

His home in Villanova, PA was on sale for more than a year until he reduced the price to a million less than he paid for it several months ago. I don't know the resolution of that property.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/For-sale-Allen-Iverson-s-six-bedroom-home-in-Vi?urn=nba-106478

There are multiple reports about his alcohol and gambling problems, which have resulted in him being banned from casinos in Detroit and Atlantic City, NJ. Here's one.

http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba-news-and-rumors/articles/81362-allen-iverson-banned-from-multiple-casinos

He's in divorce proceedings with his ex-wife and will undoubtedly be required to pay child support for his 5 children. Just as I said.

So what exactly is your issue? This stuff's all readily available with minimal research.

ETA: Oh, and this just in. Georgia judge has frozen his bank account over unpaid debt.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201202/allen-iverson-has-no-answer-financial-woes

No doubt you think you are some expert for being able to google and pull out random blog articles from the internet. But the fact is, there is literally nothing in the links you posted that speak to Iverson's finances. Maybe to the average Joe who knows nothing about finances, someone not paying his mortgage or being banned from some gambling den or having your bank account attached means that person is completely broke. That's just not how it works.

Also, I'm still waiting for the "court papers," unless by court papers you meant some random entertainment blog.

JMT
02-14-2012, 03:22 PM
No doubt you think you are some expert for being able to google and pull out random blog articles from the internet. But the fact is, there is literally nothing in the links you posted that speak to Iverson's finances. Maybe to the average Joe who knows nothing about finances, someone not paying his mortgage or being banned from some gambling den or having your bank account attached means that person is completely broke. That's just not how it works.

Also, I'm still waiting for the "court papers," unless by court papers you meant some random entertainment blog.

Never said to be an expert. Just the opposite, said all this info is easily attainable and readily available.

Also never said he was "completely broke". In fact, that TMZ (which never gets any info on these kind of cases) reported that hsi wife had filed "new court docs" pertinent to their divorce, and that she was disputing his claim that his net worth was only $20 million. I went on to say that whatever he makes, which is a pittance compared to what he's used to earning, won't go far with a divorce/child-support pending and his spending habits.

But you're right. Iverson has a strong, established track record of making good decisions in his professional and personal life. Just because it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, doesn't mean it's not probably a horse.

If you want to argue that all these things give no indication that he's got financial problems with more on the horizon, go right ahead. No doubt you think you are some kind of expert

Kevin_Gamble
02-14-2012, 03:31 PM
Never said to be an expert. Just the opposite, said all this info is easily attainable and readily available.

Also never said he was "completely broke". Just that whatever he makes, which is a pittance compared to what he's used to earning, won't go far with a divorce/child-support pending and his spending habits.

But you're right. Iverson has a strong, established track record of making good decisions in his professional and personal life. Just because it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, doesn't mean it's not probably a horse.

If you want to argue that all these things give no indication that he's got financial problems, go right ahead.

And none of your easily attainable and readily available links have any relevant information about Iverson's finances. What else do you not know? You don't know:
1. How much people (even wealthy people) pay out for child support.
2. How much his divorce would cost him (and I doubt you even know where this divorce would take place).
3. How much Iverson spends.
4. How much Iverson makes per year.

Basically, you know nothing, but you come out and talk about "court papers" that disclose Iverson's finances as if your entertainment blogs would have such information. It'd be best if you stopped having opinions about this matter.

TheMan
02-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Doubt he's hurting for money? U forget he's a uneducated hood *****?
5- Allen Iverson - Basketball
Sponsor: Reebok
Estimated Value: $5 million a year (lifetime)

After Allen Iverson first signed with the Sixers, he put his signature on a 10-year, $50 million contract with Reebok. In November 2001, he got a lifetime extension on that deal. Terms of this deal weren't disclosed. His signature shoe, "The Answer," was among the top sellers in America. Reebok rebuilt its basketball and clothing lines around him.

Forbes estimates that Iverson made $19 million between June 2002 and June 2003. His 2002-'03 salary was $12.7 million, or about two-thirds of his total income. The initial Reebok deal was worth $5 million a year. Apparently, that annual payout is guaranteed for life. With that in mind, the Reebok check accounts for 26% of his annual pay.

JMT
02-14-2012, 04:17 PM
And none of your easily attainable and readily available links have any relevant information about Iverson's finances. What else do you not know? You don't know:
1. How much people (even wealthy people) pay out for child support.
2. How much his divorce would cost him (and I doubt you even know where this divorce would take place).
3. How much Iverson spends.
4. How much Iverson makes per year.

Well, the divorce was filed in an Atlanta, Ga court. That's why it's pertinent that the Ga judge froze his bank account after he failed to make payment on an $860,000 debt to a jeweler (in itself a great example of good money management) in order to garnish whatever liquid assets remain. Any lavish spending is a huge issue where a pending divorce is concerned.

Child support? [I]As of Jan. 1, 2007, Georgia adopted statute O.C.G.A.

Kevin_Gamble
02-14-2012, 04:23 PM
[QUOTE=JMT]Well, the divorce was filed in an Atlanta, Ga court. That's why it's pertinent that the Ga judge froze his bank account after he failed to make payment on an $860,000 debt to a jeweler (in itself a great example of good money management) in order to garnish whatever liquid assets remain. Any lavish spending is a huge issue where a pending divorce is concerned.

Child support? [I]As of Jan. 1, 2007, Georgia adopted statute O.C.G.A.

JMT
02-14-2012, 04:28 PM
You could've just said "Yeah, you are right. I know nothing."

Leaving that for you, Skippy.

Hammertime
02-14-2012, 04:45 PM
You could've just said "Yeah, you are right. I know nothing." But if a long, drawn out response makes you feel like you've saved face, nothing wrong with that.

So, by all means then, go ahead and tell us why you believe that Iverson is doing just fine and will buck the trend of more than half of NBA players going broke within a decade of retiring. Since you seem to have much better info on this than anyone else, evidently.