PDA

View Full Version : Is Russell Westbrook the fastest player in NBA history?

Cowboy Thunder
02-16-2012, 05:49 PM
I don't know that I've ever seen a faster player. He just has a different gear when he gets into the lane.

I also wonder how long he can keep it up. He hits the deck more than any player I've seen as well. Hope he's durable, but I digress.

Fastest ever? :eek:

Poodle
02-16-2012, 05:52 PM
problem-is-he's-faster-than-he-can-think

Cowboy Thunder
02-16-2012, 05:53 PM

:lol

sometimes!

arifgokcen
02-16-2012, 05:59 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Indeed.

Droid101
02-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Devin Harris holds the Guiness Book of World records record for fastest NBA player.

I doubt Westbrook is faster than a Prime Devin Harris.

AngelEyes
02-16-2012, 06:03 PM
I don't know that I've ever seen a faster player. He just has a different gear when he gets into the lane.

I also wonder how long he can keep it up. He hits the deck more than any player I've seen as well. Hope he's durable, but I digress.

Fastest ever? :eek:

Apparently you've never seen Dwyane Wade.

Kiarip
02-16-2012, 06:04 PM
or the cp360

Cowboy Thunder
02-16-2012, 06:04 PM

I'm talk about legit, "oh crap I'm flying towards the ground," type of falling.

No flopping like Wade.:no:

RaininTwos
02-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Wade
Iverson

tikay0
02-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Nah, derrick rose is faster than him and has better body control. westbrook might be super quick attacking the rim, but end to end, rose is much faster.

flipogb
02-16-2012, 06:37 PM
Devin Harris holds the Guiness Book of World records record for fastest NBA player.

I doubt Westbrook is faster than a Prime Devin Harris.
I agree, I remember seeing a game where the camera had to catch up to him for a second.

PistonsFan#21
02-16-2012, 07:02 PM
Nah, derrick rose is faster than him and has better body control. westbrook might be super quick attacking the rim, but end to end, rose is much faster.

:facepalm
Much faster? stop being stupid. Even if Rose is faster its not by alot.

chips93
02-16-2012, 07:04 PM

its a problem im sure a lot of player wish they had

Poodle
02-16-2012, 07:30 PM

i-dont-think-Rose-is-faster-than-Westbrook,not-straight-away-driving-to-the-lane-at-least....Rose-has-great-footwork-to-get-around-people-and-uses-his-steps-well-but-his-game-speed-is-highly-exaggerated-imo...Westbrook-basically-sprints-into-a-lane-which-i-don't-see-Rose-doing-too-often,or-at-least-its-alot-slower-than-Westbrook-driving-by-and-large.

DirkNowitzki41
02-16-2012, 07:34 PM
i-dont-think-Rose-is-faster-than-Westbrook,not-straight-away-driving-to-the-lane-at-least....Rose-has-great-footwork-to-get-around-people-and-uses-his-steps-well-but-his-game-speed-is-highly-exaggerated-imo...Westbrook-basically-sprints-into-a-lane-which-i-don't-see-Rose-doing-too-often,or-at-least-its-alot-slower-than-Westbrook-driving-by-and-large.

wtf is this?

Dizzle-2k7
02-16-2012, 07:34 PM
sorry but theres now way devin harris was ever faster than westbrook

The_Yearning
02-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Rose gets injured for some time and now people think Westbrook is the new fast don't lie :facepalm

FindingTim
02-16-2012, 07:43 PM
Westbrook looks more like a video game than any other player.

inclinerator
02-16-2012, 07:45 PM
lin?

OKCThunderUP
02-16-2012, 07:50 PM

Uh, no he's not.

SacJB Shady
02-16-2012, 07:53 PM
I honestly think Lin is faster than Westbrook. At the very least, he is a better player than Russel.

OKCThunderUP
02-16-2012, 07:54 PM
I honestly think Lin is faster than Westbrook. At the very least, he is a better player than Russel.

With opinions like this you could get a job with ESPN in a heartbeat.

Collie
02-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Leandro Barbosa was pretty damn fast end to end.

sundizz
02-16-2012, 10:33 PM
1. Two step explosion (i.e from 19 feet to 12 feet) and then take off for a dunk..there has never ever ever been a player more explosive at that than Russell Westbrook.

2. End to end pure no defense speed while dribbling - debateable between a lot of players. In discussion (in my order)
John Wall
Derrick Rose

3. End to end speed with people on the court and trying to stop them
Lebron James
John Wall
...debateable

3. Pure quickness (in the halfcourt, first step etc)
Players I can't remember but are small/quick like Speedy Claxton, random pg's. A lot of them are insanely quick first step..but the ability to finish/eurostep/get to the rim for a makeable shot is being included in this..so Derrick Rose is 1st.

flipogb
02-16-2012, 10:52 PM
sorry but theres now way devin harris was ever faster than westbrook
there is no way you watched Harris play with the Mavs, saying you disagree with one thing but acting like it wasn't close is wrong

imdaman99
02-16-2012, 11:08 PM
devin harris? who the hell is devin harris? oh you mean the guy that baron davis bitched in the 1st round. how well did devin harris ever use that speed?

someone post that amazingly video game like dunk westbrook did where he flew down the lane in a nanosecond

tikay0
02-16-2012, 11:16 PM
Rose gets injured for some time and now people think Westbrook is the new fast don't lie :facepalm

Ppl have very short term memory. ive never seen a player take the ball end to end like rose can. he is faster and quicker than any pg in the game, PERIOD.

Big_Dogg
02-16-2012, 11:19 PM
doesn't just about every commentator ride Ty Lawson's nuts and about how fast he is?

Eric Cartman
02-16-2012, 11:26 PM
My opinion: It's way to close to call between Wade, Westbrook & Rose. Neither of those options are incorrect.

ralph_i_el
02-16-2012, 11:57 PM
with the ball no one is faster than wall.

no pun intended
02-17-2012, 12:00 AM
with the ball no one is faster than wall.
This.

John Wall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Ayf4p8f80

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j3S9-sCWGw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcbDfh9r_e8&feature=related

And for the fun of it. Steve Nash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbyLJoO9ce4

tontoz
02-17-2012, 12:08 AM
The title to this thread should be changed to the fastest in the last 5 years. That's as far back as the kids here can remember.

CardiacKemba
02-17-2012, 12:25 AM
Russ is durable. I think I heard the other day that he hasn't missed a game since he came into the NBA? (Someone stat guy back this up please).

In my opinion (remember kids, there is no one timing these things, so don't ride someones nuts for saying Rose is faster than Russ, Wall is faster than Lawson, etc).

End to end: John Wall, close second LeBron (once he gets his speed up, it's up there)

Half court: Rose or Westbrook, take your pick.

Close to the rim (a few steps): Westbrook, explodes out of nowhere.

OKCThunderUP
02-17-2012, 12:31 AM
Russ is durable. I think I heard the other day that he hasn't missed a game since he came into the NBA? (Someone stat guy back this up please).

You are correct. He's never missed a game.

Aussie Dunker
02-17-2012, 12:34 AM
John Wall for me, then Rose, then Westbrook....

roffie
02-17-2012, 12:44 AM
wtf is this?

his space bar broke. wall/lawson can both give westbrook a run for his money as welll.

MavAlbert
02-17-2012, 02:46 AM
wtf is this?

obviously the guys space bar is busted

RoseCity07
02-17-2012, 02:47 AM
John Wall is faster.

DaHeezy
02-17-2012, 02:50 AM
1. Two step explosion (i.e from 19 feet to 12 feet) and then take off for a dunk..there has never ever ever been a player more explosive at that than Russell Westbrook.

2. End to end pure no defense speed while dribbling - debateable between a lot of players. In discussion (in my order)
John Wall
Derrick Rose

3. End to end speed with people on the court and trying to stop them
Lebron James
John Wall
...debateable

3. Pure quickness (in the halfcourt, first step etc)
Players I can't remember but are small/quick like Speedy Claxton, random pg's. A lot of them are insanely quick first step..but the ability to finish/eurostep/get to the rim for a makeable shot is being included in this..so Derrick Rose is 1st.

Best assesment so far. There is a vast difference between speed and quickness. I'll give Westbrook this, his acceleration to leaping ability in the halfcourt is uncanny.
Quickness in the half court is either a prime AI or Tony Parker.
End to end speed is between Lebron or Devin Harris. But I'll take a prime Eddie Jones as being probably the fastest and most controlled of all-time. He was called the Grayhound.
Guys throughout the years who were blazing were Barbosa, Bobby Jackson, and Chucky Atkins, who was unassumingly fast.

pejavelin
02-17-2012, 02:59 AM
his name even said it: speedy claxton super fast pg

moe94
02-17-2012, 04:18 AM
Barbosa was faster than all of them.

BlitzForce
02-17-2012, 04:19 AM
check this out :)

ESPN Sports Science - Lin as quick a John Wall...

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/12063/sport-science-jeremy-lin

To sum it up, he has a similar acceleration rate as John Wall. He has a faster average release time than Ray Allen (although since he is not very accurate that time may slow down as he develops a better shot).

The accelerate and quickness is what surprises me the most. He is on par with a player known for quickness and speed.

I recall in a game they said when New York tested him in some agility stuff for the draft his numbers were off the charts

LAClipsFan33
02-17-2012, 05:29 AM
http://sportsjourneyradio.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/iverson2.jpg

No one in NBA history has ever moved faster while dribbling than this version of this man. Period.

fubu05
02-17-2012, 05:33 AM
No mention of Ty "Teleport" Lawson?

fefe
02-17-2012, 05:38 AM
It's crazy that it took 3 pages before someone brought up Iverson...

LAClipsFan33
02-17-2012, 05:40 AM

Everyone now hates Iverson because of the revisionists so hard at work...people who saw live and remember his prime clearly know what's up

Cowboy Thunder
02-17-2012, 05:41 AM
Iverson was real fast, I've just never seen anyone as "quick" as Westbrook though.

He gets from the three point line to the goal faster than any I've seen

Cowboy Thunder
02-17-2012, 05:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVDoQXk1y0M&t=1m0s

The block at 1:10 kind of shows what I'm talking about.

He had a dunk against the Kings a few nights ago that was just ridiculously fast though

LAClipsFan33
02-17-2012, 05:49 AM
Iverson was real fast, I've just never seen anyone as "quick" as Westbrook though.

He gets from the three point line to the goal faster than any I've seen

He has a good 1st step. Iverson was definitely quicker. Iverson could change direction on a dime...Westbrook can't even control his speed

Cowboy Thunder
02-17-2012, 05:51 AM
Here is that play where I just said...holy shit he's fast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaGaMb5LIag

LAClipsFan33
02-17-2012, 05:55 AM
Here is that play where I just said...holy shit he's fast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaGaMb5LIag

I think Rose is faster than him in today's game.

I've still never seen a player faster than Iverson. He was an All World Safety in football in high school. His coaches say he had elite NFL Defensive Back speed...it showed

Cowboy Thunder
02-17-2012, 05:59 AM
No one said Jordan either, did they?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuwIlcVsHmU&feature=related

Cowboy Thunder
02-17-2012, 06:02 AM
As someone else said..

they are all world class athletes. Westbrook is definitely a blazer who would excel at many sports...

WillC
02-17-2012, 06:27 AM
The title to this thread should be changed to the fastest in the last 5 years. That's as far back as the kids here can remember.

Well said.

Memorably fast players I've seen include Calvin Murphy, Kevin Johnson, Muggsy Bogues, Isiah Thomas, Allen Iverson and Derrick Rose.

I'd vote for Iverson though.

Owl
02-17-2012, 08:44 AM
Well said.

Memorably fast players I've seen include Calvin Murphy, Kevin Johnson, Muggsy Bogues, Isiah Thomas, Allen Iverson and Derrick Rose.

I'd vote for Iverson though.
Going back to the 70's-80's and not mentioning Rickey Green?!

iamgine
02-17-2012, 08:53 AM
Speed is measurable. Distance/time.

WillC
02-17-2012, 08:55 AM
Going back to the 70's-80's and not mentioning Rickey Green?!

Good shout. Lenny Wilkens and Dave Bing were pretty quick too. Tiny Archibald was no slouch.

BullsDynasty
02-17-2012, 09:31 AM
Iverson and Rose are definitely faster.

tontoz
02-17-2012, 09:40 AM

Not really. It goes back to the point i made earlier. NBA history means the last 5 years for teenagers.

IknowU
02-17-2012, 09:44 AM
B!tch please

Tony Parker in his prime will whoop all these asses. He could finish in so many different ways while going a hundred miles per hour. :rockon:

pauk
02-17-2012, 09:54 AM
What do you mean fastest? There is two categories:

Quickest? As in acceleration/explosion? Arguably........ to many small gonzaleses to choose from...

Speed? As in how fast he can run? NOT EVEN CLOSE......... That belongs to Lebron James: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNaLIhzSYDI

and Lebron has proof to that aswell, with his 4.3 sec 40 yard dash.... that is faster than 99.99% of all Widerecievers/Running Backs/Cornerbacks that ever existed... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40-yard_dash

Poodle
02-17-2012, 09:57 AM

Quickest? As in acceleration/explosion? Arguably........ to many small gonzaleses to choose from...

Speed? As in how fast he can run? NOT EVEN CLOSE......... That belongs to Lebron James: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNaLIhzSYDI

and Lebron has proof to that aswell, with his 4.3 sec 40 yard dash.... that is faster than 99.9% of all Widerecievers/Running Backs/Cornerbacks that ever existed... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40-yard_dash

i'd-love-to-be-able-to-witness-him-run-a-4.3-40yd...hard-to-believe...i-think-ChrisJohnson-was-running-like-4.2-40yds?

pauk
02-17-2012, 09:58 AM
i'd-love-to-be-able-to-witness-him-run-a-4.3-40yd...hard-to-believe...i-think-ChrisJohnson-was-running-like-4.2-40yds?

Yes i gave you the link to the world records:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40-yard_dash

Chris Johnson ran 4.24 (alongside Rondel Melendez), which is the World Record... take a look above... nobody EVER ran faster than that

and Chris is 5'11"..... Lebron was 6'8-245 when he made that record....

Poodle
02-17-2012, 10:05 AM
Yes i gave you the link to the world records:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40-yard_dash

Chris Johnson ran 4.24, which is the World Record... take a look above... nobody EVER ran faster than that

ah-i-didn't-click-the-link...nice.

just-hard-to-believe-with-Lebrons-size-he's-that-fast...ChrisJohnson-doesn't-seem-anywhere-as-thick-as-lebron-and-if-anything-built-like-a-track-runner...lebron-has-to-be-one-of-the-greatest-human-specimens-in-the-history-of-man....even-when-he-first-got-to-the-NBA-from-highschool-he-was-bullying-NBA-players.

just-puzzles-me-how-that-happens-and-i-bet-if-you-look-at-his-parents-it-still-doesn't-explain-it.

pauk
02-17-2012, 10:06 AM
ah-i-didn't-click-the-link...nice.

just-hard-to-believe-with-Lebrons-size-he's-that-fast...ChrisJohnson-doesn't-seem-anywhere-as-thick-as-lebron-and-if-anything-built-like-a-track-runner...lebron-has-to-be-one-of-the-greatest-human-specimens-in-the-history-of-man....even-when-he-first-got-to-the-NBA-from-highschool-he-was-bullying-NBA-players.

just-puzzles-me-how-that-happens-and-i-bet-if-you-look-at-his-parents-it-still-doesn't-explain-it.

why-do-you-type-like-this? :D

Poodle
02-17-2012, 10:10 AM

spacebar-broke

DaHeezy
02-17-2012, 10:11 AM

He was brought up once before I posted about him, but yeah, how do people forget?

arifgokcen
02-17-2012, 10:15 AM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Anyway.Lebron probably top 3 end to end.However assuming he is certainly more than 265lbs probably around 270lbs we have never seen anything like him.
End to end i think he is still the fastest because when he gets going i still think wall is half a step behind lebron because of lebron's strides.
For quickness westbrook i think is faster than rose.He just might be the most athletic pg of all time

pauk
02-17-2012, 10:20 AM
Anyways, i dont think Lebron is equally fast anymore tho, he was 18-19 years old when he made that dash time... he is carrying like 30 lbs of more muscle now... and is 27... so its possible he cant match that time, but i could be wrong... whatever the case, he is no doubt the fastest ever at his size....

The problem is...... long stride (lebron/usain bolt) & short stride (rose/westbrook) difference........

when you look at Lebron or Usain Bolt for example it doesnt look like they are going that fast compared to the midgets next to them... but they are... its difficult to see because he is 6'8" and Usain Bolt is like 6'6", which means very long limbs... doesnt require much limb movement to gain ground... they gain so much ground because they move those long strides faster than anybody could do it at their size............ and hence gain top speed.... for a short guy to gain that top speed, he will have to move his feet muuuuuuuuuuuch quicker to make up for his short strides....

besides, the shorter guys have always better quickness anyways due to short strides anyways..... hence why the short guys will always look like they are going faster... but its not always the case...

Science... :D

nathanjizzle
02-17-2012, 10:39 AM
westbrook isnt faster than rose. but he does have a better 1 2 step dunk then rose does.

ralph_i_el
02-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Lebron ran a pretty amazing 40 time....9 years and 35 lbs ago.

nathanjizzle
02-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Anyways, i dont think Lebron is equally fast anymore tho, he was 18-19 years old when he made that dash time... he is carrying like 30 lbs of more muscle now... and is 27... so its possible he cant match that time, but i could be wrong... whatever the case, he is no doubt the fastest ever at his size....

The problem is...... long stride (lebron/usain bolt) & short stride (rose/westbrook) difference........

when you look at Lebron or Usain Bolt for example it doesnt look like they are going that fast compared to the midgets next to them... but they are... its difficult to see because he is 6'8" and Usain Bolt is like 6'6", which means very long limbs... doesnt require much limb movement to gain ground... they gain so much ground because they move those long strides faster than anybody could do it at their size............ and hence gain top speed.... for a short guy to gain that top speed, he will have to move his feet muuuuuuuuuuuch quicker to make up for his short strides....

besides, the shorter guys have always better quickness anyways due to short strides anyways..... hence why the short guys will always look like they are going faster... but its not always the case...

yes you have a good grasp on science saying shit like lebron could do a windmill dunk or between the legs dunk from the free throw line gauranteed.

arifgokcen
02-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Lebron ran a pretty amazing 40 time....9 years and 35 lbs ago.

He still does.He may not be as fast.He still one of the fastest guys end to end.Certainly the fastest among all the players except point guards and among the players over 25 years old and among players that weighs more than 220lbs

DaHeezy
02-17-2012, 12:21 PM

Lebron could well exceed that time. Have you taken into consideration the development through training programs in the NBA? Sprinters hit their physical peaks at 25+? I have no doubt in my mind that he's faster today.

Bigsmoke
02-17-2012, 12:32 PM
dont forget about 2009 Tony Parker

rodman91
02-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Iverson

arifgokcen
02-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Lebron could well exceed that time. Have you taken into consideration the development through training programs in the NBA? Sprinters hit their physical peaks at 25+? I have no doubt in my mind that he's faster today.

I am not sure about that.As a rookie he used to weigh around 240-245lbs.Right now he is easily more than 260lbs probably around 270lbs.This is almost 30lbs

Ikill
02-18-2012, 09:40 PM

and Lebron has proof to that aswell, with his 4.3 sec 40 yard dash.... that is faster than 99.99% of all Widerecievers/Running Backs/Cornerbacks that ever existed... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40-yard_dash
this is more impressive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkWbTL9HEgo&feature=fvst
they both took 4 seconds but Wade went exactly end to end while Lebron started a little ahead. Wade did it while dribbling after a steal Lebron just did a normal sprint. Wade didn't even look like he was going full speed and he was 29 while Lebron was 24 in that video.

NastyCrossover1
02-18-2012, 09:51 PM
this is more impressive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkWbTL9HEgo&feature=fvst
they both took 4 seconds but Wade went exactly end to end while Lebron started a little ahead. Wade did it while dribbling after a steal Lebron just did a normal sprint. Wade didn't even look like he was going full speed and he was 29 while Lebron was 24 in that video.
Wade is the quickest/fastest IMO

Ikill
02-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Wade is the quickest/fastest IMO
not sure about now but young Wade>Westbrook Rose Wall in quickness and speed

NastyCrossover1
02-18-2012, 09:57 PM
not sure about now but young Wade>Westbrook Rose Wall in quickness and speed
I agree, Wades stride is much longer than theirs and he moves his limbs just as quick.

Ikill
02-18-2012, 10:25 PM
I agree, Wades stride is much longer than theirs and he moves his limbs just as quick.
young Wade
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLF3BTijo0w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXVRbPRxIAI at 31 seconds at 2:15 is sick too

iDefend5
02-18-2012, 10:27 PM
Wade is not faster than Westbrook. **** outta here.

CavaliersFTW
02-18-2012, 10:33 PM
If your talking about flat out top speed rather than just ball-handling quickness - than both these guys should be in the discussion:

Wilt Chamberlain:

*In his late teens he PR'd 49.0 flat in the 440 race - likely on a cinder track considering his era. That race is actually about 3 meters longer than the 400 meter race ran today and 49.0 is stand-out even in the 400 meter. His probable time he'd have pulled on a shorter 400meter track in modern shoes/surface could be a ~48 range... very fast.

*At 27 years old he is clocked by AFL coach Hank Strom with a 4.6 40 in his bare feet.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=svUeAAAAIBAJ&sjid=6osEAAAAIBAJ&dq=wilt%20chamberlain%20hank&pg=7442%2C2836511

*Earned his rep as fastest guy on his team for the Warriors pulling away from everyone including his point guard Al Attles (which I guess surprised the coach)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4WZXiaDzyc&t=5m40s

David Robinson:

*Also had the rep as fastest guy end to end on his team (which also surprised his coach)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKVqpXl3M18

Centers are easy to overlook cause they have slower foot speed and take less steps to cover the same distance as the smaller guys (think Usain Bolt)

Ikill
02-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Wade is not faster than Westbrook. **** outta here.
probably not now but this ****ing fast for a 29 year old
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkWbTL9HEgo&feature=fvst a young Wade is faster IMO

Ikill
02-18-2012, 10:35 PM
If your talking about flat out top speed rather vs just ball-handling quickness - than both these guys should be in the discussion:

Wilt Chamberlain:

*In his late teens he PR'd 49.0 flat in the 440 race - likely on a cinder track considering his era. That race is actually about 3 meters longer than the 400 meter race ran today and 49.0 is stand-out even in the 400 meter. Whether he's a basketball player his probable time he'd have pulled on a shorter 400meter track in modern shoes/surface would be a ~48 range... very fast.

*At 27 years old he is clocked by AFL coach Hank Strom with a 4.6 40 in his bare feet.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=svUeAAAAIBAJ&sjid=6osEAAAAIBAJ&dq=wilt%20chamberlain%20hank&pg=7442%2C2836511

*Earned his rep as fastest guy on his team for the Warriors after beating everyone including his point guard Al Attles in some pre-season foot races

David Robinson:

*Also had the rep as fastest guy end to end on his team.

:bowdown: ****ing insane both of them

NastyCrossover1
02-18-2012, 10:59 PM
If your talking about flat out top speed rather vs just ball-handling quickness - than both these guys should be in the discussion:

Wilt Chamberlain:

*In his late teens he PR'd 49.0 flat in the 440 race - likely on a cinder track considering his era. That race is actually about 3 meters longer than the 400 meter race ran today and 49.0 is stand-out even in the 400 meter. His probable time he'd have pulled on a shorter 400meter track in modern shoes/surface could be a ~48 range... very fast.

*Earned his rep as fastest guy on his team for the Warriors pulling away from everyone including his point guard Al Attles (which I guess surprised the coach)

David Robinson:

*Also had the rep as fastest guy end to end on his team (which also surprised his coach)

Centers are easy to overlook cause they have slower foot speed and take less steps to cover the same distance as the smaller guys (think Usain Bolt)

People think big men can't run. :lol

KevinNYC
02-19-2012, 01:33 AM
People think big men can't run. :lol

Bill Russell's says he ran the 440 in 49.6. Do you know about the famous Coleman play (http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/page/rus0int-1)? Cousy and Heinsohn said it was the most amazing play they had ever seen. Russell's momentum had taken him out of bounds when they other team threw the ball to Jack Coleman who was at half court. It was late in double overtime and they couldn't afford to give up a basket. Russell chased down a guy with a half court lead and blocked the shot.

Getting into double overtime, I went, I made a "back-door" and I got the pass too late to make the basket, so I went, I missed the shot and I went out. Well, they got the rebound uncontested and outlet it to a guy at half court, Coleman. And we didn't have anybody past the top of the foul circle. So all he had to do was dribble down and lay it up. Well, I come back on the court and I see what's happening and I take off. And I ran by everybody and I caught him. And when he got the ball at half court I was still out of bounds on the baseline. And I saw nobody was going after him, so I went after him. And not being too modest, I was probably if not the -- closest to the fastest man in the league. Nobody knew that though. So I caught him and I blocked his shot and I didn't knock it in the stands. I blocked the shot and kept it in play. I almost forgot about the play until Heinsohn and Cousy and those guys were talking about it that that was the greatest play they'd ever seen. I wasn't going to let us lose, not standing around anyway. If we were going to lose, we were going to lose fighting.

CavaliersFTW
02-19-2012, 02:08 AM
Bill Russell's says he ran the 440 in 49.6. Do you know about the famous Coleman play (http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/page/rus0int-1)? Cousy and Heinsohn said it was the most amazing play they had ever seen. Russell's momentum had taken him out of bounds when they other team threw the ball to Jack Coleman who was at half court. It was late in double overtime and they couldn't afford to give up a basket. Russell chased down a guy with a half court lead and blocked the shot.

:applause:

Another candidate, I did want to mention him too, he was also a very elite track and field athlete just like Chamberlain. I really wanted to say Russell because I've seen footage of him just blowing past everyone but I can't find the good footage of it from memory alone I'll have to come across it again and report back.

I do have this though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGFRRQgnLnc&t=5m9s
He eases up his speed but you can just tell by his final hop-skip steps that he's got a lot of power and stride in his legs. I'm sure he's among the fastest players who's ever played as well.

k0kakw0rld
02-19-2012, 02:13 AM
http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/495870tonyparker.jpg (http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=495870tonyparker.jpg)

Gifted Mind
02-19-2012, 05:36 AM
Plenty of good mentions. I am just going to mention someone who hasn't been talked about much in this thread: prime Jason Kidd. Not saying he is the fastest ever but he is definitely up there with many of the players being mentioned in this thread.