PDA

View Full Version : Nicola Pekovic is growing into an elite center.

stallionaire
02-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Top 5 right now in the league. 20 pts in the first half.

GOBB
02-17-2012, 09:59 PM
Where overreacting happens. :facepalm

stallionaire
02-17-2012, 10:01 PM
ISH- Where a lot of people talk shit without watching games.

Burgz
02-17-2012, 10:02 PM
http://images.wikia.com/simpsons/images/c/ca/Homer_JJ.png

TaLvsCuaL
02-17-2012, 10:03 PM
He is already a top 5 offensive center in my opinion, but He can barely jump and lack height to be a defensive force. However it is a beast.

stallionaire
02-17-2012, 10:05 PM
Barely jump? He baseline dunks if it's necessary. Otherwise he exerts the effort needed for rebounds or defense.

04mzwach
02-17-2012, 10:07 PM
This guy makes me feel better about the Al Jefferson trade. So much for Love/Aldridge debates, we have Pekovic who is way better at scoring in the low post anyway. :cheers:

Punpun
02-17-2012, 10:16 PM
Biyombo is having a huge season. Dominating the NBA ever on Block/Per36. Tonight he is having 13 rebounds, 7 BLOCKS, 8 points on 75 FG.

04mzwach
02-17-2012, 10:21 PM
Biyombo is having a huge season. Dominating the NBA ever on Block/Per36. Tonight he is having 13 rebounds, 7 BLOCKS, 8 points on 75 FG.
Wrong thread or what?

GOBB
02-17-2012, 10:22 PM
ISH- Where a lot of people talk shit without watching games.

Go take a cold shower. And remember your franchise was nothing but jokes not to long ago. Atleast act like you're humble before you attempt to get cocky and loud mouth. I love fans of franchises whose middle name is "joke" that get an ounce of success and start acting like d!ckheads. :rolleyes:

cteach111
02-17-2012, 10:22 PM
no doubt. Pekovic is a solid big.

04mzwach
02-17-2012, 10:25 PM
top 5 if injuries are taken into account.

stallionaire
02-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Go take a cold shower. And remember your franchise was nothing but jokes not to long ago. Atleast act like you're humble before you attempt to get cocky and loud mouth. I love fans of franchises whose middle name is "joke" that get an ounce of success and start acting like d!ckheads. :rolleyes:
Done begging for attention?

Reverend Hoops
02-17-2012, 10:27 PM
The term elite bothers me. Solid big? Okay I can go with that.

Borat_Sagdyev
02-17-2012, 10:30 PM
Nicola Pekovic Pacman!
http://www.catch-and-shoot.com/img/articles/images/Nikola-Pekovic.jpg

Punpun
Wrong thread or what?

Wasn't the thread about Future Elite centers ?

GOBB
Yeah elite is ridiculous. Solid big is fair, reasonable. But this clown cant do that.

Done begging for attention?

You dont taking your cold shower?

04mzwach
02-17-2012, 10:32 PM
He looks like he could get 40 on 60% tonight...this is what happens when he gets the ball enough. :applause:

stallionaire
02-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Yeah elite is ridiculous. Solid big is fair, reasonable. But this clown cant do that.

You dont taking your cold shower?
I said he's growing into one. And elite is a relative term to our era. 43k posts by the way... Pathetic. Get a life son.

FireDavidKahn
02-17-2012, 10:34 PM
Some fans are like that, others aren't. He isn't calling anyone out or anything so just let him have some fun for now. We haven't had a lot to cheer about in a long time.:facepalm :oldlol:

stallionaire
02-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Love how fans are delusional enough to think you need to be humble as if you play on the team you praise. I can say whatever the **** I want, I know the wolves have been bad because when KG left I bought tickets and stuck by the franchise and watched many more games than id like to admit with all our abysmal seasons.

I'm happy because were good finally, and if that upsets you well try being a Minnesota sports fan.

StroShow4
02-17-2012, 10:48 PM
Where overreacting happens. :facepalm

Offensively speaking, it really isn't a ridiculous claim.

Reverend Hoops
02-17-2012, 10:49 PM
Offensively speaking, it really isn't a ridiculous claim.

Isn't "elite" center overall? I could potentially understand more if he said elite offensive post game.

StroShow4
02-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Isn't "elite" center overall? I could potentially understand more if he said elite offensive post game.

I was referring more to the "top 5 center" comment in the OP.

dunksby
02-17-2012, 10:52 PM
In that case there is only one Center thats elite in this league and honestly his defense aint elite either.

fsvr54
02-17-2012, 10:54 PM
It's not outrageous. Compare him with his peers. He is beasting on the offensive end.

FireMcFailPlease
02-17-2012, 11:13 PM
pek. is. awesome.

no wonder they said he was a lotto pick if he didnt have contract issues.

stallionaire
02-17-2012, 11:30 PM
Mutilator from Montenegro

MK2V1GP
02-17-2012, 11:34 PM
It's not outrageous. Compare him with his peers. He is beasting on the offensive end.

This.

Name 5 other centers who are playing better right now.

I'm not putting him in the ASG or HOF, but ever since he's been starting, he's been consistently beasting. Averaging 19/10. Had 3 blocks and 3 steals tonight. He'll never win a DPOY award or team, but he's not awful at it like so many other bigs.

FireMcFailPlease
02-17-2012, 11:38 PM
his touch around the basket is one of the best in the league.

MK2V1GP
02-17-2012, 11:39 PM
his touch around the basket is one of the best in the league.

Combine that with his strength (has to be the strongest player in the league) and that's a deadly duo, to have that soft touch but be able to outpower opponents.

kingBynum
02-17-2012, 11:40 PM
He's a monster in the middle, also a great fighter too.

http://i2.listal.com/image/1966186/600full-andrei-arlovski.jpg

FireMcFailPlease
02-17-2012, 11:43 PM
Combine that with his strength (has to be the strongest player in the league) and that's a deadly duo, to have that soft touch but be able to outpower opponents.
for real. i cant think of one player who can body him on defense.

StroShow4
02-17-2012, 11:51 PM

Chuck Hayes couldn't even body the dude. He's a f@cking tank.

MK2V1GP
02-18-2012, 12:27 AM

I'll get killed by ISHiots here for saying this, but who else over the last few seasons, aside from Shaq, is stronger than Pekovic? In terms of pure strength, I think the only player Pek takes a back seat to is Shaq, and maybe not even the Shaq from the last couple of seasons, maybe only prime Shaq.

That doesn't mean I'm comparing Pek to Shaq or anything of the sort. I'm just talking about pure strength and ability to just back down defenders with no problem.

Clutch
02-18-2012, 12:29 AM
Peković is a very good player.

He dominated overseas too.

Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Heu05Vs7Id8

:lol

EricGordon23
02-18-2012, 12:40 AM
How old is he?
I saw him in 3 games this year getting stripped down low quite a bit does this happen on a regular basis?

04mzwach
02-18-2012, 12:45 AM
There's nobody in the league who backs down defenders like Pekovic. He gets super deep position and that's why he shoots such a high percentage.

Bosnian Sajo
02-18-2012, 12:47 AM
Very happy for my Balkan Baller :cheers:

Vucevic and Pekovic, the Nikolas are the future for Montenegro basketball :oldlol:

La Frescobaldi
02-18-2012, 03:01 AM
Kobe says after every single scout missed jeremy lin, "we need to look at our scouts."

That wasn't the only guy the NBA completely missed. All over the country basketball keys are littered with the centers that Nikola Pekovic has destroyed.

This week looks just like last week:
Orlando on Monday - d12 sat down on the bench for over half the game with foul trouble from failing to stop Pekovic.
Howard is averaging 20 15 this season, his line was 11 7 against the Wolves.... but it was 2 1 & 5 fouls against Pekovic

Wednesday -
Pekovic ** 21pts 11reb 2 asts 3 blocks 2 fouls
bobcat Cs * 7pts 7reb 0 asts 1 block 3 fouls

Friday
Obviously the Rockets are getting used to being trampled:

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/02/17/rockets-get-rolled-inside-by-twolves-love-and-pekovic/

'

Grinder
02-18-2012, 03:06 AM
Kobe says after every single scout missed jeremy lin, "we need to look at our scouts."

That wasn't the only guy the NBA completely missed. All over the country basketball keys are littered with the centers that Nikola Pekovic has destroyed.

This week looks just like last week:
Orlando on Monday - d12 sat down on the bench for over half the game with foul trouble from failing to stop Pekovic.
Howard is averaging 20 15 this season, his line was 11 7 against the Wolves.... but it was 2 1 & 5 fouls against Pekovic

Wednesday -
Pekovic ** 21pts 11reb 2 asts 3 blocks 2 fouls
bobcat Cs * 7pts 7reb 0 asts 1 block 3 fouls

Friday
Obviously the Rockets are getting used to being trampled:

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/02/17/rockets-get-rolled-inside-by-twolves-love-and-pekovic/

'“They beat us up. That’s the bottom line, they played very well and they beat us,” said McHale, who is indirectly responsible because he brought both Pekovic and Love to the T’Wolves when he was running the franchise. “Pekovic and Love had 63 points and 29 rebounds and they were too much for us.” '

Rubio Pekovic & Love need a shooting guard & a solid forward. Every game they have lost since Pekovic started getting minutes has been directly over those weak positions.

News flash everybody; Coach Sikma is working wonders with this center and he needs some credit for that fact.

To me the reality checks are these:
Can Pekovic body down Bynum like he does Howard?
Can Wolves coaches actually use rotations on defense?

Can Pek improve his transition game?

His point guard is one of the best in the league at transition offense. Ideally a center should be last man down on a fast break and slam through the key, smashing defenders for 9-pins.

So when are the Wolves gonna to start using this guy?

Scouts didn't really miss on Pekovic though. He was the first pick in the second round of a loaded 08 draft class and would have gone much higher if teams knew for sure that he'd come over. Early in his career he was critical of the NBA and said he didn't like the playing style and he would have had to take a pay cut if he went first round. Clearly he's changed his mind and he's benefiting both monetarily and on the court.

mrpibb
02-18-2012, 03:07 AM
How was Houston even in the game?!

Fiasco
02-18-2012, 03:08 AM
He's 26 years old. Pretty sure he's done growing.

La Frescobaldi
02-18-2012, 03:13 AM
Scouts didn't really miss on Pekovic though. He was the first pick in the second round of a loaded 08 draft class and would have gone much higher if teams knew for sure that he'd come over. Early in his career he was critical of the NBA and said he didn't like the playing style and he would have had to take a pay cut if he went first round. Clearly he's changed his mind and he's benefiting both monetarily and on the court.

point taken thanks

All Net
02-18-2012, 07:52 AM
Wolves are putting themselves together a very nice core here...the west might have a new top dog entering the frame in the next few years.

ALBballer
02-18-2012, 11:53 AM
He reminds me of Eddy Curry (in his prime.) Pek is a much better overall player though.

pnyozzzoo
02-18-2012, 12:01 PM
two words: rock solid.

Man even has a cubic head.

ralph_i_el
02-18-2012, 12:16 PM

<typical philly sports fan>

lpublic_enemyl
02-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Nicola Pekovic Pacman!
I MUST CRUSH YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

La Frescobaldi
02-18-2012, 01:44 PM
I MUST CRUSH YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW

Can you imagine that guy in golden armour holding a huge sword?

No wonder Alexander the Great conquered the world

bagelred
02-18-2012, 01:48 PM
I liked his game last year the few times I saw him play.....

hawkfan
02-18-2012, 02:08 PM
Pekovic could turn out to be Kahn's best move, besides hiring Rick Adelman and drafting Rubio.

FireDavidKahn
02-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Pekovic could turn out to be Kahn's best move, besides hiring Rick Adelman and drafting Rubio.
Pekovic was drafted by McHale.

TaLvsCuaL
02-18-2012, 02:18 PM
WOW

Can you imagine that guy in golden armour holding a huge sword?

No wonder Alexander the Great conquered the world
http://i43.tinypic.com/2h7ib7r.jpg

b1imtf
02-18-2012, 02:31 PM
:bowdown:

Laimbeer_Rodman
02-19-2012, 09:36 AM
http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh574/Tokyo_Priest/building.gif

La Frescobaldi
02-20-2012, 12:01 AM
Wolves beat Sixers tonight

Nikola Pekovic had 17 points and nine rebounds for the Timberwolves (16-16), who notched their third three-game winning streak of the season to move back to the .500 mark. They play at Denver on Monday night, starting a stretch of 16 out of 23 games on the road. Coach Rick Adelman shortened his rotation to eight again, and the Pekovic-Love starting lineup improved to 6-3 on the season.

This guy is a seriously good center

GOBB
02-20-2012, 03:50 AM
Strong guy no doubt, hope vucevic can gain that kind of strength. But he didn't wow me with his performance. Not as far as the talks of him been. He was solid no doubt, just didn't see elite center in the making.

DRose1899
02-20-2012, 04:23 AM
He's arguably best offensive center in the league right now, I see no one that more easy to rack point than him. even Dwight n Bynum must "try hard" to get all of them point.

But there is only few Center that offensively capable on NBA anyway :facepalm

jack.
02-20-2012, 09:23 AM
http://cjzero.com/gifs/PekNod.gif

La Frescobaldi
02-23-2012, 12:41 PM
{copied to the Pek-N-Roll thread}
Against the Jazz last night, they rested him a lot including most of 4q worried about his ankle.... he drew lots and lots of attention, & lots and lots of fouls. The stat that I really like: 9 for 10 from the charity stripe.

Hard-Foul-Wilt and Hack-a-Shaq clearly does not work on Nik.
LOLOL
http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/02/21/...&feedID=36 97

Reality was bound to strike soon, and even after the ankle heals, Pekovic's rise will perhaps slow. He needs to remain out of foul trouble, and he should also improve his passing game. Expectations are rising, and the questions have begun.

How's your passing ability?

"Depends."

How's your jump shot?

"I don't know. . . . I don't take jump shots so much."

And 3-pointers?

"Three pointers? I don't shoot those in my life."

DuMa
02-23-2012, 12:50 PM
elite centers? what are those?

Dwade305
02-23-2012, 12:52 PM
elite centers? what are those?
I heard they existed in the NBA at a certain point. They actually knew how to pass of double teams and create their own offense. Can you believe they had good footwork down in the block?

dunksby
02-23-2012, 12:56 PM
I heard they existed in the NBA at a certain point. They actually knew how to pass of double teams and create their own offense. Can you believe they had good footwork down in the block?
How can a 7footer big man possess such feats? You high? :eek: :eek:

La Frescobaldi
02-23-2012, 01:04 PM

to me Bynum is real good, so is Al Jefferson & Marc Gasol

Fiba basketball
02-23-2012, 01:05 PM
{copied to the Pek-N-Roll thread}
Against the Jazz last night, they rested him a lot including most of 4q worried about his ankle.... he drew lots and lots of attention, & lots and lots of fouls. The stat that I really like: 9 for 10 from the charity stripe.

Hard-Foul-Wilt and Hack-a-Shaq clearly does not work on Nik.
LOLOL
http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/02/21/...&feedID=36 97

Reality was bound to strike soon, and even after the ankle heals, Pekovic's rise will perhaps slow. He needs to remain out of foul trouble, and he should also improve his passing game. Expectations are rising, and the questions have begun.

How's your passing ability?

"Depends."

How's your jump shot?

"I don't know. . . . I don't take jump shots so much."

And 3-pointers?

"Three pointers? I don't shoot those in my life."
Pekovic always passes when he is dubled ( when I watch him ) and has a solid mid range shoot he just doesnt use it because he has great post game .

La Frescobaldi
02-23-2012, 01:08 PM
Pekovic always passes when he is dubled ( when I watch him ) and has a solid mid range shoot he just doesnt use it because he has great post game .

yeah.

To me he has the exact perfect mentality of a center.

Why shoot from 10 feet when you can shoot from 3 feet? Defender doesn't matter because he's not strong enough to keep me out.

stallionaire
02-23-2012, 01:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYDzvmoGIcE

fast forward to the end

"You got some Serbia songs?" - Pekovic

:roll:

La Frescobaldi
03-05-2012, 01:38 AM
pekovic defense destroyed Aldridge... guy couldn't drive, couldn't move, all he could do was get rid of the ball... and foul out..... he pretty wrecked the blazer paint game.

A possible key for the Wolves is the fact that Love can drop some 3s.... with Nic in the paint for rebounding purposes well that was a very very effective first quarter. Pekovic has deep understanding that his power is such that he can box out multiple players - so that a teammate will often get a rebound thanks to his legwork under the boards.

Are we halfway through the season?
This guy is a terrifically effective center, able to wreak havoc in the paint, runs the floor very smoothly, understands how to fill the lanes, real solid defense, has shown some devastating offensive moves, great boxing and rebounding skill. I have yet to see a center overpower him.

Efficiency is right through the roof for a guy that's effectively in his first season.

Needs more offensive moves, the NBA is adjusting to his hook shots.

Must do a better job protecting the ball. His forearms need to be stronger because he's getting stripped - something you just never saw in an elite center such as Jabbar or Malone, Chamberlain or Robinson.

Simple grip exercises will help, also fierceness with the forearms and elbows will keep guys away from his core. Watching tape of Karl Malone would help.

He's still learning help defense but his rotations are far better than just a few weeks ago (the whole team pretty much sux in that department, Adelman would be wise to upgrade defensive coaching staff)

If Pek can be consistent out to the 10 foot jumper - even an 8 footer - he could easily be a power forward for minutes. He has the skills - 3 dribbles is all he needs - and he's quick & immensely strong. His spins are very stealthy. Only question there would be his ability to stay in front of guys on D... but he smothered LaMarcus Aldridge, so we'll see.

Top 10 C in the league? Very likely, and has nothing but room to elevate.

This guy rocks

veilside23
03-05-2012, 01:47 AM
its because of this guy...

http://rumorsandrants.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Ricky-Rubio.jpg

LockoutOver11
03-05-2012, 01:55 AM
its because of this guy...

http://rumorsandrants.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Ricky-Rubio.jpg

is it really?

i have the guy on my fantasy team, and all I see is rebounds and points:D without having anyone to thank.... So Rick, Ricky, or just Nicola himself?

SyRyanYang
03-05-2012, 02:18 AM
I know OP is a douche a lot of times. But he said "is growing into" not "already is" an elite center. Give this guy a break

La Frescobaldi
03-06-2012, 07:33 AM
I know OP is a douche a lot of times. But he said "is growing into" not "already is" an elite center. Give this guy a break

didn't see anybody bashing Pek on the thread actually...

Celtic_Pride
03-06-2012, 04:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4rJ_907q9g

Seen this video on another thread. Timmy might have been impressed and I am not surprised that McHale drafted this guy!

Love is an excellent 3 point shooter, he can spread the floor while Pek can take any center 1-on-1 with his brute strength for the right position to grab offensive board.

Post Game offensively - Check
Low post Defense - Check
Rebounding and positioning - Check
Free Throw - Check

A top 5 Center IMO

ILLsmak
03-06-2012, 04:59 PM
yeah.

To me he has the exact perfect mentality of a center.

Why shoot from 10 feet when you can shoot from 3 feet? Defender doesn't matter because he's not strong enough to keep me out.

Yeah people don't understand what big man mentality is. To be a great big man you have to physically and emotionally dominate the competition. You might impress them by shooting a jumper, but you should get them used to contact.

And a smart player can tell when physicality is bothering someone.

That's how guys like Dennis Rodman were successful in the NBA. Nobody could out-physical them.

-Smak

La Frescobaldi
03-17-2012, 02:03 AM
Wolves are not the only team Kobe Bryant has made look sad in the last 16 seasons.

But Pekovic continues to take the league by storm, once again pounding on one of the best centers in the NBA. Another 20 & 12 game for the Godfather... against one of the strongest front lines in the world.

ya this guy is definitely for real.

Rubio knee of course took the wind out of the team's sails, but if anything it has only made it more obvious how much they need a 2.

I dunno if Coach Adelman & Sikma have input into who they acquire. But if they were involved in turning down the Crawford deal in favor of building for next season...... they may well be very wise indeed. How many more years does JC have? 2? 3?

Pekovic & Love have some good teammates around them, but they deserve some better teammates. Pekovic is not some scrub out of Europe - he's a champion. If the Wolves fail to bring these guys some upgraded talent then I'll have to conclude that organization = a big fat fail.

ImmortalNemesis
03-17-2012, 02:10 AM
Growing into an elite center? Damn Wolves have a top 10 center AND the best power forward in the game. They should make the playoffs with ease.

Whoah10115
03-17-2012, 02:41 AM
Johnson has been playing good defense...at least in spurts. He looks like he has a lot of potential on that side of the ball. If his shot shows up, he's gonna be solid.

I still would love to see KG come back and play the 3 on this team. I think he'd make such a huge difference.

Also, Kevin Martin sounds ideal. Don't know if he's attainable. q

StroShow4
03-17-2012, 02:42 AM
New avatar. :pimp:

Meticode
03-17-2012, 02:51 AM
Nicola Pekovic Pacman!

THIS IS SPARTA!

La Frescobaldi
02-20-2013, 11:45 PM

Add the whole entire Sixers front line onto that arm.

Pekovic just finished destroying them every possible way 27 18 & his defense was awesome the whole game.

So far from what I've seen Tim Duncan is the only guy in the league that can play him man to man. If he gets stopped it's by double or triple teams.

Not too many guys can shoot over him and he's playing a lot of D clear out to the arc. His rotations are strong.

The Godfather is right up there among the top Cs of the league!!

Rubio looked great too, Holliday went 7-17 but yet only shot 4 frees all night. Rubio said at half time this is the first time all year he's felt 100% and he looked it.

Whoah10115
02-21-2013, 12:13 AM
Pek is quietly getting better after the somewhat slow start.

CakeorDeath
02-21-2013, 12:24 AM
Nice player for sure but every time I watch him move I cringe. Unfortunately, I see back problems in his future. Hope I'm wrong though.

andremiller07
02-21-2013, 02:29 AM
Hes a good player but I can't see him being an "elite" bigman

steve franchise
02-21-2013, 02:41 AM
*Looks at Minnesota record*

Not impressed, empty stats.

StroShow4
02-21-2013, 02:50 AM
*Looks at Minnesota record*

Not impressed, empty stats.

Unless you're being sarcastic, take a look at their injury report.

Big#50
02-21-2013, 08:08 AM
He looks like he is on that Orlando Magic diet and supplement plan.