PDA

View Full Version : Do People Believe Melo Is a Superstar?

SilkkTheShocker
02-23-2012, 10:40 AM
Aside from homer Knicks fans of course. All he does is score and he doesn't play D or make anyone better.

sbw19
02-23-2012, 10:42 AM
I don't, but it doesn't help his case that this Knicks team isn't built around him.

Bob Cousy
02-23-2012, 10:42 AM
a superstar doesn't have to have those intangibles. It has more so to do with media and mass appeal than on court play.

SilkkTheShocker
02-23-2012, 10:43 AM
I don't, but it doesn't help his case that this Knicks team isn't built around him.

Yea but even when teams did build around him they lost in the 1st round 7 times.

Sarcastic
02-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Your dad does.

SilkkTheShocker
02-23-2012, 10:46 AM
Your dad does.

My dad knows a lot about basketball than you do. But I guess thats nothing to be proud of.

Figlo
02-23-2012, 10:46 AM
Overrated

bmulls
02-23-2012, 10:47 AM
He was a superstar with the Nuggets, I think his stock has dropped a little since they gutted their team to get him and the Knicks were playing so bad.

kennethgriffin
02-23-2012, 10:48 AM
melo is a great player. just doesnt belong in this system

he should be on a team where he can be a ball dominant player and isolate

this knicks team is built on a pg working with cutters and screan and rolls

hes a superstar who needs to be traded for a few more complimentary pieces like chandler/fields etc...

SilkkTheShocker
02-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Overrated

:applause:

sbw19
02-23-2012, 10:55 AM
Yea but even when teams did build around him they lost in the 1st round 7 times.
That's no reason not to consider him a superstar when he played for the Nuggets when TMac was called one for a good stretch in his career, KG too in Minny had his fair share of 1st round shortcomings.

It's too early to judge, give him a season or two, see what happens now that he has Amare and Lin.

Sarcastic
02-23-2012, 10:59 AM

If Lebron played in the Western Conference during those years, he would be first round fodder too.

The Nuggets were the underdog almost every year. Lebron lost with HCA throughout twice in his career already.

Scholar
02-23-2012, 11:00 AM
I bet your dad told you post this thread after he had **** sex with you, OP. That's why you're such an **** person.

SilkkTheShocker
02-23-2012, 11:05 AM
If Lebron played in the Western Conference during those years, he would be first round fodder too.

The Nuggets were the underdog almost every year. Lebron lost with HCA throughout twice in his career already.

And if you replaced Lebron with Melo, Cavs are 1st round fodder every season. Melo isn't a superstar. Get over it.

Yanch856
02-23-2012, 11:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fztGWYgCinw

Don't know if you guys remember this Melo, like 2 yrs ago.

He was considered unstoppable at one stage. He looked incredible that year.

Now? He needs to lose weight and try harder. Seriously he's like a shell of his former self.

Wow I'm watching this and they're two different players right now.

Sarcastic
02-23-2012, 11:21 AM
And if you replaced Lebron with Melo, Cavs are 1st round fodder every season. Melo isn't a superstar. Get over it.

We don't know about the first few years, because Lebron couldn't even get the Cavs to the playoffs in the crappy Eastern Conference. Then once finally there, he was lucky to play the Wizards all the time.

bluechox2
02-23-2012, 11:24 AM
everyone thinks he was a superstar b4 coming to the knicks

dunksby
02-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Superstar has become a very loose concept nowadays. There used to be a time when you could not be a Superstar unless Basketball fans from all over the world knew your name.

KevinNYC
02-23-2012, 11:25 AM
What's the definition of a superstar? First team All NBA?

How many superstars are in the league at any one time?

From his couple of games back so far, Melo looks like he is rushing things. Doesn't look comfortable yet on the court.

Let's give him 25 games with Lin and the new offense and see how he does. To me a superstar should shine in any system.

KevinNYC
02-23-2012, 11:29 AM
What's the definition of a superstar? First team All NBA?

How many superstars are in the league at any one time?

From his couple of games back so far, Melo looks like he is rushing things. Doesn't look comfortable yet on the court.

Let's give him 25 games with Lin and the new offense and see how he does. To me a superstar should shine in any system.

I'm watching the Knicks replay right now and two minutes after I posted, Walt Frazier just mentioned that Melo was rushing his game and he wasn't relaxed out there. Melo had just drove down the lane and then threw a pass over Landry Fields's head.

Rnbizzle
02-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Yes, and he is also the most clutch player in the league.

M.V.W.
02-23-2012, 11:30 AM
a superstar doesn't have to have those intangibles. It has more so to do with media and mass appeal than on court play.

This. People seem to forget the popularity aspect of player superstardom.

heyhey
02-23-2012, 11:31 AM
No he's not a superstar not closed to the impact of a bron or Kobe or wade or Dwight.

Ppl act like he didn't have a squad in denver

SilkkTheShocker
02-23-2012, 11:33 AM
We don't know about the first few years, because Lebron couldn't even get the Cavs to the playoffs in the crappy Eastern Conference. Then once finally there, he was lucky to play the Wizards all the time.

So do you believe he is on the same level as Lebron as a player?

Sarcastic
02-23-2012, 11:39 AM

Lebron is better, but that doesn't mean Carmelo is not a superstar.

If you are saying you have to be as good as Lebron to be a superstar, then there is only 1 superstar in the league.

Yanch856
02-23-2012, 11:41 AM

Right now... not even close and it's painful to watch, but on the Nuggets Melo had a better offense game than Cavs Lebron without a doubt in my mind. Lebron looked clumsy as hell :oldlol: :oldlol:

Don't tell me you guys have only watched NBA since Linsanity started 2 weeks ago.

Seriously http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq7bJ8t2urw

SilkkTheShocker
02-23-2012, 11:42 AM
Lebron is better, but that doesn't mean Carmelo is not a superstar.

If you are saying you have to be as good as Lebron to be a superstar, then there is only 1 superstar in the league.

Im not saying that. But I think the gap between the two players is a bigger than you believe.

Rnbizzle
02-23-2012, 11:42 AM
Im not saying that. But I think the gap between the two players is a bigger than you believe.
What makes you think that? :lol You able to read his mind?

SilkkTheShocker
02-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Right now... not even close and it's painful to watch, but on the Nuggets Melo had a better offense game than Cavs Lebron without a doubt in my mind. Lebron looked clumsy as hell :oldlol: :oldlol:

Don't tell me you guys have only watched NBA since Linsanity started 2 weeks ago.

Seriously http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq7bJ8t2urw

I always see the better offensive game stuff, but that all Melo supports really have. Melo doesn't play defense nor does he make his teammates. All we here from his supporters is, "he is so versatile offensive" or "best scorer in the league". With the latter being completely untrue.

SilkkTheShocker
02-23-2012, 11:45 AM
What makes you think that? :lol You able to read his mind?
The fact he said the Knicks wouldn't trade Melo unless it was for Lebron in another thread. Now get off my nuts, you bandwagon Bulls fans.

Rnbizzle
02-23-2012, 11:46 AM
I always see the better offensive game stuff, but that all Melo supports really have. Melo doesn't play defense nor does he make his teammates. All we here from his supporters is, "he is so versatile offensive" or "best scorer in the league". With the latter being completely untrue.
He's been injured and has not shot the ball well so far this season. Does that mean he sucks? No. He'll get back on his old level soon enough, dude can go for 30+ a night against ANY team on any given night.

Yanch856
02-23-2012, 11:47 AM

He was called "The best pure scorer in the NBA".

Why am I defending Melo? I want to see him wipe that smirk off his face and look like he actually cares for a change.

FireDavidKahn
02-23-2012, 12:02 PM
This. The media decides who the superstars are. Even still, Melo's no superstar.

cteach111
02-23-2012, 12:16 PM
by the strictest defintion, he isn't

asdf1990
02-23-2012, 12:20 PM
only 3 wing players in the NBA are playing at a superstar level this year

lebron
wade
durant

Rnbizzle
02-23-2012, 12:31 PM
only 3 wing players in the NBA are playing at a superstar level this year

lebron
wade
durant
Would you say Kobe is not? :lol

I'll be the first to say he's taking too many shots and forces things too much, but to say he's not a superstar.. :confusedshrug:

fubu05
02-23-2012, 02:20 PM
He was called "The best pure scorer in the NBA".

Why am I defending Melo? I want to see him wipe that smirk off his face and look like he actually cares for a change.

That is how he cares tho :lol When Melo has that smile on during the game, that's how you know he cares :roll:

FireMcFailPlease
02-23-2012, 02:21 PM
id be pissed if the wolves traded what ny did to get a turd like melo

Jotaro Durant
02-23-2012, 02:24 PM
no superstars top 5 players and melo not a top 5 player

asdf1990
02-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Would you say Kobe is not? :lol

I'll be the first to say he's taking too many shots and forces things too much, but to say he's not a superstar.. :confusedshrug:

he is borderline, those three are on their own level right now, if you asked me like 2-3 weeks ago i would have put kobe at a superstar level wing

Poodle
02-23-2012, 02:56 PM
yeah-i-think-Melo-has-superstar-talent...

LABean
02-23-2012, 03:04 PM
Only Knicks fans think he is a superstar.
He is not a superstar, though. He is overrated.
What has he ever won? :sleeping

Poodle
02-23-2012, 03:04 PM

winning-and-talent-don't-always-go-together

Sarcastic
02-23-2012, 03:05 PM
no superstars top 5 players and melo not a top 5 player

At no point in John Stockton's career was he ever top 5. Are you saying he was not a superstar?

Sarcastic
02-23-2012, 03:08 PM

He won an NCAA title, and has been to the playoffs every year of his career.

LABean
02-23-2012, 03:13 PM
He won an NCAA title, and has been to the playoffs every year of his career.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

iDunk
02-23-2012, 03:13 PM
Yup he still is, he's been injured this year. He was having a good season until he got those two injuries against the Grizz on TNT.

Sarcastic
02-23-2012, 03:15 PM
:lol :lol :lol :lol

You asked what he won.

Lebron doesn't even have that. Are you saying he is not superstar?

LABean
02-23-2012, 03:28 PM
You asked what he won.

Lebron doesn't even have that. Are you saying he is not superstar?
:lol and :facepalm @ you bringing LeBron into this.

Using LeBron to cover up for Melo. Just like Perkins. :roll:

I'd take LeBron over Melo. He'd choke in the final, but at least he's been there, unlike SUPERSTAR Melo. :oldlol:

And really? NCAA Title? :banana:

Sarcastic
02-23-2012, 03:31 PM

I'd take LeBron over Melo. He'd choke in the final, but at least he's been there, unlike SUPERSTAR Melo. :oldlol:

Steve Nash has never even been to the Finals. He's not a superstar?

SilkkTheShocker
02-23-2012, 03:38 PM

I know, Lebron didn't even go to college hahaha :oldlol:

LABean
02-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Steve Nash has never even been to the Finals. He's not a superstar?

Don't compare Nash to Melo. Come on, man... :facepalm
Nash is a superstar.
Nash >>> Melo.

Nash has been unfortunate because he has had to play his whole career against the Black Mamba. :bowdown:
(I think that's the reason Melo left to the Eastern Conference.)

strifed169
02-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Melo never got the superstar calls like the rest get through his career, can't deny that

StateOfMind12
02-23-2012, 07:16 PM
You have to be at least a top 10 player in the league to be a superstar and I don't think Melo was honestly ever top 10.

Keep in mind that I said at least, which means that not all top 10 players are superstars.

Melo, if you honestly think about it has been an underachiever so far in his NBA career. Durant is pretty much what Melo was suppose to be.

christian1923
02-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Melo is gonna drop 35 tonight

chazzy
02-23-2012, 07:18 PM
I don't think Melo was honestly ever top 10.
What about 2010?

PyrrhusX
02-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Durant is pretty much what Melo was suppose to be.

:applause:
Inb4 Melo-fanboys-hate.

Michael_Wilbon
12-19-2012, 03:14 PM
bump

Smoke117
12-19-2012, 03:28 PM
I don't, never have, and never will.

fpliii
12-19-2012, 03:30 PM

agree with the bolded, but he hasn't been a liability on defense thus far so he is a fringe superstar this season IMO

if he finishes the season strong he locks himself into the top 10 players in the league (or better, depending on what happens)

Whoah10115
12-19-2012, 03:31 PM

Of course, but you've had your mind made up and will then come in and tell everyone the facts.

Thanks for the nada, buddy.

LoneyROY7
12-19-2012, 04:06 PM
agree with the bolded, but he hasn't been a liability on defense thus far so he is a fringe superstar this season IMO

if he finishes the season strong he locks himself into the top 10 players in the league (or better, depending on what happens)

A fringe superstar? You must be joking.

Melo is a top 3 player this season, who also happens to be the best player on the best team in the East.

GTFOH with that fringe stuff.

fpliii
12-19-2012, 04:10 PM
A fringe superstar? You must be joking.

Melo is a top 3 player this season, who also happens to be the best player on the best team in the East.

GTFOH with that fringe stuff.

I'm certainly not joking. IMO there are 7 superstars in the league. In no particular order:

LeBron, Kobe, Durant, CP3, Dwight, Wade, Rose (when healthy).

Melo, Westbrook, Love, Rondo, healthy Dirk, healthy Bynum are all in the next grouping (ZBo and Duncan are playing like it right now too; I think Garnett is past that point, Kyrie isn't there yet; Blake might get there soon depending on how he develops).

jimmy77x
12-19-2012, 04:11 PM
Hasn't SilkkTheShocker been missing ever since the knicks anally raped the heat for the second time, Haters :roll: :roll:

Michael_Wilbon
12-19-2012, 04:12 PM
Hasn't SilkkTheShocker been missing ever since the knicks anally raped the heat for the second time, Haters :roll: :roll:

:applause: i believe so :oldlol:

pauk
12-19-2012, 04:13 PM
If Durant is a superstar then so is Carmelo....

LoneyROY7
12-19-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm certainly not joking. IMO there are 7 superstars in the league. In no particular order:

LeBron, Kobe, Durant, CP3, Dwight, Wade, Rose (when healthy).

Melo, Westbrook, Love, Rondo, healthy Dirk, healthy Bynum are all in the next grouping (ZBo and Duncan are playing like it right now too; I think Garnett is past that point, Kyrie isn't there yet; Blake might get there soon depending on how he develops).

Melo is CLEARLY ahead of Wade, Dwight, and Rose (guy's not even playing) this season.

CP3 is great and the Clippers are thriving, but Chris hasn't been his spectacular self.

Kobe is putting up great numbers (comparable to Melo's) but his team isn't winning.

Melo is a top 3 player this year...I'm not gonna reference what was done in the past, b/c as of right now that isn't really relevant.

Melo is the best player on the best team in the East, who also happen to be the New York fricking Knicks...if you don't believe Melo is a superstar, or merely a superstar, you may need to re-evaluate what your definition of a superstar is.

Rubio2Gasol
12-19-2012, 04:17 PM
He should be.

I would take him ahead of Dwight and Wade and people consider those guys superstars.It's not just about influence either, but for me he's the best closer in the game when that coalesces with being the most versatile scorer in the game, you have yourself a very very unique talent.

Darkess
12-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Do people who don't know basketball know Carmelo? Not really.

So no, he is not a superstar.

A superstar is someone who transcends the sport they play.

fpliii
12-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Melo is CLEARLY ahead of Wade, Dwight, and Rose (guy's not even playing) this season.

CP3 is great and the Clippers are thriving, but Chris hasn't been his spectacular self.

Kobe is putting up great numbers (comparable to Melo's) but his team isn't winning.

Melo is a top 3 player this year...I'm not gonna reference what was done in the past, b/c as of right now that isn't really relevant.

Melo is the best player on the best team in the East, who also happen to be the New York fricking Knicks...if you don't believe Melo is a superstar, or merely a superstar, you may need to re-evaluate what your definition of a superstar is.

Melo hasn't played much better than Wade...he's just played heavier minutes and has a larger role (but I'll give that to you). No reevaluation is necessary for my definition, as I only care about level of play and (recent) resume. If we include marketability, then of course he's a super star.

He should be.

I would take him ahead of Dwight and Wade and people consider those guys superstars.It's not just about influence either, but for me he's the best closer in the game when that coalesces with being the most versatile scorer in the game, you have yourself a very very unique talent.

I have him top 3, after KD and Dirk (ahead of Kyrie ATM). Incredibly clutch player.

che guevara
12-19-2012, 05:15 PM
If Durant is a superstar then so is Carmelo....
No, Durant is a much better player than Melo, even this year. This is the first year Melo's ever played well enough to be called a superstar.

LoneyROY7
12-19-2012, 05:45 PM
No, Durant is a much better player than Melo, even this year. This is the first year Melo's ever played well enough to be called a superstar.

:facepalm

He wasn't a superstar when he was dropping 28.9 ppg on 47.6 percent from the field in '07? How about 25.7 ppg on 49.2 percent in '08? And 28.2 ppg on 45.8 percent in '10?

Or how about when he averaged 27.2 ppg while leading his team to the Western Conference Finals?

Oh, and a Melo-led team has never missed the playoffs.

I love how people see his performance last year when he struggled shooting just 43 percent and assume that's what he's been for his career.

Melo has been a superstar for a while now, last year was just a bump in the road.

hitmanyr2k
12-19-2012, 06:04 PM
I've never considered the guy a superstar. He's a gifted scorer and not much else to me. He reminds me of guys like Alex English and Mark Aguirre who during their era I considered very good players but not superstars.

TheBigVeto
12-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Yep he is.

Cali Syndicate
12-19-2012, 06:20 PM
He's been playing like a superstar so far this season. Top 5 player and MVP candidate.

This is not arguable.

Joey3000
12-19-2012, 06:23 PM
I have him top 3, after KD and Dirk (ahead of Kyrie ATM). Incredibly clutch player.

Wait... what?

How can a "top 3 closer" who is averaging over 25ppg and is "Incredibly clutch" not be a super star?

Can you name me another "top 3 closer" who is "incredibly clutch" but was not a superstar in the history of the game? or are u just a hater?

If you don

fpliii
12-19-2012, 06:26 PM
[QUOTE=Joey3000]Wait... what?

How can a "top 3 closer" who is averaging over 25ppg and is "Incredibly clutch" not be a super star?

Can you name me another "top 3 closer" who is "incredibly clutch" but was not a superstar in the history of the game? or are u just a hater?

If you don

Joey3000
12-19-2012, 06:31 PM
Sam Jones, 60s Celtics for one.

How many do you want me to name?

:oldlol: more give me more :oldlol:

fpliii
12-19-2012, 06:39 PM
:oldlol: more give me more :oldlol:

Did I tell a joke or something? I'm not sure why it's that unbelievable to you that some people think Melo's a fringe superstar, and not a shoe-in (from a pure level of play point of view). I also really like Melo, but I need to see this play from him for a full season with sustained team success (and above average defense, which he's exhibited this season so far). Here are some more though:

Dennis Johnson
Reggie Miller
Havlicek (on the 60s teams, before he came into his own he was a 'closer' but not a star)

I'll name any others I can think of later on, have to leave work now.

EDIT: Pierce and Big Game James too.

28renyoy
12-19-2012, 06:44 PM
Going further with the closers

Rudy Gay
Prime Paul Pierce(was never a superstar, borderline top 10 player at best)
Chauncey Billups
Manu Ginobili

the list goes on

Joey3000
12-19-2012, 06:54 PM
Did I tell a joke or something? I'm not sure why it's that unbelievable to you that some people think Melo's a fringe superstar, and not a shoe-in (from a pure level of play point of view). I also really like Melo, but I need to see this play from him for a full season with sustained team success (and above average defense, which he's exhibited this season so far). Here are some more though:

Dennis Johnson
Reggie Miller
Havlicek (on the 60s teams, before he came into his own he was a 'closer' but not a star)

I'll name any others I can think of later on, have to leave work now.

EDIT: Pierce and Big Game James too.

:biggums:

Reggie Hall of famer Miller? one of the best shooters in the history of the game? Who made a carear out of devistating my Knicks? was not a superstar?

I would feel more comfertable having my Knicks go up against 98% of the superstars on ur superstar list than have to face Miller in the playoffs.

Joey3000
12-19-2012, 06:57 PM
O, if you want to play that game.

According to you logic: KOBE IS NOT A SUPERSTAR THIS YEAR!!!

What makes him a superstar this year if Melo isnt?

Young X
12-19-2012, 06:59 PM
I've never considered him a superstar, to me he was more in the D-Will/Rose/Westbrook level instead of the Kobe/CP3/Wade level.

Sharmer
12-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Melo is a preeminent player in the league, however we haven't forgotten the former Melo.

che guevara
12-19-2012, 07:15 PM
:biggums:

Reggie Hall of famer Miller? one of the best shooters in the history of the game? Who made a carear out of devistating my Knicks? was not a superstar?

I would feel more comfertable having my Knicks go up against 98% of the superstars on ur superstar list than have to face Miller in the playoffs.
:oldlol: Lol @ thinking Reggie is a superstar. The only people who think this are Pacer fans, and people who never watched '90s ball and only listen to the myths about him. Dude was an 18/3/3 player with average (at best) defense for most of his career.

He only managed to score 20+ ppg six times in his 18 year career; if you aren't doing shit besides scoring, you better be beast at that to be considered a superstar, which Reggie clearly was not. If you consider Reggie a superstar, you better consider guys like Tony Parker, Chris Bosh, and Kevin Martin to be superstars as well.

ILLsmak
12-19-2012, 07:16 PM
I dunno why people always go LOLOL when someone mentions Melo won an NCAA championship as a freshman. That's an amazing accomplishment. People who like basketball beyond NBA understand that.

-Smak

ILLsmak
12-19-2012, 07:17 PM
:oldlol: Lol @ thinking Reggie is a superstar. The only people who think this are Pacer fans, and people who never watched '90s ball and only listen to the myths about him. Dude was an 18/3/3 player with average (at best) defense for most of his career.

He only managed to score 20+ ppg six times in his 18 year career; if you aren't doing shit besides scoring, you better be beast at that to be considered a superstar, which Reggie clearly was not. If you consider Reggie a superstar, you better consider guys like Tony Parker, Chris Bosh, and Kevin Martin to be superstars as well.

I think Tony Parker could be compared to Reggie Miller. Tony Parker has many rings and a Finals MVP. He's not a media superstar, but he's a superstar talent.

-Smak

Joey3000
12-19-2012, 07:19 PM
:oldlol: Lol @ thinking Reggie is a superstar. The only people who think this are Pacer fansand people who never watched '90s ball and only listen to the myths about him., Dude was an 18/3/3 player with average (at best) defense for most of his career.

Dont forget Knicks Fans.

Teanett
12-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Dont forget Knicks Fans.

reggie miller was not a superstar.
in the 90's there were quite a lot of players who anybody would pick over him

jordan
pippen
olajuwon
ewing
barkley
malone
shaq
robinson
grant hill
garnett
kemp
drexler
sprewell
penny
mourning

Flash31
12-19-2012, 08:09 PM
CARMELO IS a superstar.Hes a great scorer and can put up points from anywhere.Though the one thing Carmelo hasnt been known for and hasnt been good at is the opposite side of basketball,DEFENSE.

Hes gotten better this year and is playing defense better,back then on the nuggets,Defense wasnt a priority apparently and the fact that his teams as good as they were just werent better than the other top teams in the west so he wasnt going anywhere.