PDA

View Full Version : NBA All Star Game is a joke. Make it like the MLB All-Star Gam or just get rid of it

wagexslave
02-25-2012, 03:06 PM
Can someone remind me why this game gets so much publicity? It's just like the Pro-Bowl in the NFL... just a big vacation for the players. The game means nothing, and the players don't even try.

In the MLB, the All-Star game actually MEANS something, and the players try their hardest, because it decides which conference will have Home Field Advantage in the World Series Championship.

The NBA needs to do this. Make the All Star Game dictate who gets home advantage in the NBA Finals, and it would make the whole event a lot more interesting and meaningful.

As of now, it's the biggest waste of publicity and advertising revenue in the NBA. The only exciting part is the Slam Dunk contest, and even that has turned into a joke lately. So why not copy the MLB and do the same thing? It works.

kNIOKAS
02-25-2012, 03:09 PM
Can someone remind me why this game gets so much publicity? It's just like the Pro-Bowl in the NFL... just a big vacation for the players. The game means nothing, and the players don't even try.

In the MLB, the All-Star game actually MEANS something, and the players try their hardest, because it decides which conference will have Home Field Advantage in the World Series Championship.

The NBA needs to do this. Make the All Star Game dictate who gets home advantage in the NBA Finals, and it would make the whole event a lot more interesting and meaningful.

As of now, it's the biggest waste of publicity and advertising revenue in the NBA. The only exciting part is the Slam Dunk contest, and even that has turned into a joke lately. So why not copy the MLB and do the same thing? It works.
future read

longtime lurker
02-25-2012, 03:12 PM

100% agreed. Almost every other sports league is ahead of the NBA in keeping the game fresh and interesting. Stern runs the NBA like a joke

B-Low
02-25-2012, 03:12 PM
Then don't watch it

franchise#3
02-25-2012, 03:13 PM
On the bright side it's better than the Pro-bowl

All Net
02-25-2012, 03:15 PM
Don't watch then, fact is this weekend is the chance for players to rest and have fun. Thats it.

swi7ch
02-25-2012, 03:17 PM
If you think this is a joke watch the NFL all-star game. It was so bad that fans bood it and the commissioner was considering removing it next year!

AMISTILLILL
02-25-2012, 03:18 PM
So, it sucks because it isn't like other sports leagues All Star games. Got it.

jlauber
02-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Whatever to a player playing for PRIDE in these games? For years the greats relished the matchups. Russell-Wilt, West-Oscar, et.al. Now, they play matador defense, and applaud while their man blows by them for an uncontested dunk.

And the Slam Dunk contest has to be among the least watched "highlights" of the "All-Star" weekend. The best contests were conducted 20-30 years ago. Even the ABA had Dr. J and David Thompson battling for the crown in '76.

Kevin_Gamble
02-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Why should it mean something? It's supposed to be a fun exhibition. If you want games that mean something, there are 82 games in the regular season and 4 rounds of playoffs.

EnoughSaid
02-25-2012, 03:57 PM
So then why the hell try in the regular season if only one game determines the HCA in the Finals? Team can rest and just barely get by, and then turn it up like a bitch throughout the playoffs. A team with a 41-41 record in the East can have the HCA over a team with a 60-22 record in the West? :wtf:

BrooklynZoo
02-25-2012, 04:30 PM

its for entertainment purposes, ie the dunk contest, 3 pt shootout and all the rest of the events. And to have an all star game determine home advantage for the championship is a pretty silly idea..

Jon_Koncak
02-25-2012, 04:32 PM
The result of an all star game determining the homecourt advantage is the most idiotic idea ever.

hawksdogsbraves
02-25-2012, 04:47 PM
It's definitely better than the pro-bowl. And making it determine home court advantage would be a HORRIBLE idea.

Locked_Up_Tonight
02-25-2012, 04:47 PM
Yeah.. let us havethe winner of the most pointless,meaningless game determine the most important games all year.

That is beyond stupid.

ChrisKreager
02-25-2012, 04:48 PM
The MLB All-Star Game is boring.

You don't get a lot of great plays- we have had a combined 4 home runs in the last 3 All-Star Games.

In the NBA, when a player gets substituted, unlike the MLB, they don't come back in.

Jeter gets two at-bats, then sits.

LeBron doesn't make a few baskets and sits the rest of the game.

CLTHornets4eva
02-25-2012, 04:50 PM
Every all star game is pretty bad. Baseball is only ok because it is less apparent the players aren't trying hard.

DMV2
02-25-2012, 04:56 PM
NBA's All-Star Weekend is actually the best out of the 4 major North American sports if you want to be entertained.

Saturday's events alone makes it the best all-star game. Skills Challenge, 3-Point Shooting, Shooting Stars Challenge and the good old Slam Dunk competition, which gets dogged all the time but fans will still watch it.

MLB has its Home Run Derby and the All-Star game but that's it.

Real Men Wear Green
02-25-2012, 05:43 PM
How many practices go into the ASG, one or two? Something this important shouldn't be determined by a game with so little preparation. Also the ASG is supposed to be a showcase for all the stars, if you make the result matter you could see DNP-CDs to a number of players. This isn't a major problem that requires such an overreaching solution.

SpecialQue
02-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Then don't watch it

Pwned.

sunsfan1357
02-25-2012, 05:56 PM
The MLB All-Star Game is boring.

You don't get a lot of great plays- we have had a combined 4 home runs in the last 3 All-Star Games.

In the NBA, when a player gets substituted, unlike the MLB, they don't come back in.

Jeter gets two at-bats, then sits.

LeBron doesn't make a few baskets and sits the rest of the game.
Yes comparing a 48 minute fast paced game to a game where players get a maximum 4-5 at bats makes sense.

Timmy D for MVP
02-25-2012, 06:00 PM
NBA All Star weekend is the best All-Star event in the sports I follow. Better than the MLB because of Friday and Saturday night. Better than the Pro-Bowl because... you know... the Pro-Bowl.

The game itself is entertaining. The crew covering the events shits on any other sport's major crew. It's just a better more well rounded event.

Pushxx
02-25-2012, 06:06 PM
MLB All Star game is a complete joke and the decision to give it importance was one of the poorest individual sports decisions I've ever seen.

bdreason
02-25-2012, 07:00 PM
The MLB All-Star game is insane. Deciding home field advantage in the World Series by playing a random exhibition game? I don't know who came up with the idea, but in my opinion it actually tarnishes the legitimacy of World Series.

Kiarip
02-25-2012, 07:01 PM
Yeah.. let us havethe winner of the most pointless,meaningless game determine the most important games all year.

That is beyond stupid.
the REASON that the game is teh most pointless is because it determines nothing at all. you have it all backwards.

allball
02-25-2012, 07:37 PM
never going to get that to happen. too much chance for injury plus as others have said MLB made a stupid decision to allow it to decide home field.

no pun intended
02-25-2012, 07:40 PM
I think the All Star MVP is a great honor already, if not, making it into the All Star team. So I think that's enough. Besides if it were to decide home team advantage, then I think the season itself would be pretty useless.

AngelEyes
02-25-2012, 08:18 PM
Whatever to a player playing for PRIDE in these games? For years the greats relished the matchups. Russell-Wilt, West-Oscar, et.al. Now, they play matador defense, and applaud while their man blows by them for an uncontested dunk.

And the Slam Dunk contest has to be among the least watched "highlights" of the "All-Star" weekend. The best contests were conducted 20-30 years ago. Even the ABA had Dr. J and David Thompson battling for the crown in '76.

What the hell do you want? Just about every dunk known to man has been done already so people obviously aren't going to be as impressed. People expect way too much out of the damn slam dunk contest.

Fiasco
02-25-2012, 08:42 PM
The NHL All-Star game is much, much worse than the NBAs in terms of players giving a shit. Quit your whining.

kjarnorkudori
02-25-2012, 08:49 PM
I would like to implement the NHL all-star game system.

AngelEyes
02-25-2012, 08:52 PM
I would like to implement the NHL all-star game system.

I agree. They need to put a comet tail on the basketball.

ballashotcalla
02-25-2012, 08:53 PM
The MLB all star game is a bigger joke.

The objective is not to win. The manager's job is to let everyone get playing time.

The only reason they made it that format was because the commish was stupid and called a tie after there were no pitchers left.

kingBynum
02-25-2012, 08:54 PM
If winning would give homecourt, then FANS voting would be out the question.

Imagine all the trolls getting together to get a crappy starting 5 just so they can lose:oldlol:

c3z4r
02-25-2012, 09:01 PM
If the NBA would implement an all star fantasy draft like the NHL has done, with a captain on both teams, each helped by an "assistant" captain to help him pick his team, it would be ****ing awesome. Imagine the awkwardness when the last player gets picked. OMG i would honestly die watching it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz_f7ayRbEQ

I almost died of laughter while watching this.

wagexslave
02-26-2012, 11:02 AM
Then don't watch it
Never said I was going to.

chips93
02-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Don't watch then, fact is this weekend is the chance for players to rest and have fun. Thats it.

this

im sure enough fans enjoy it enough to make it worthwhile for the nba

wagexslave
02-26-2012, 11:15 AM
this

im sure enough fans enjoy it enough to make it worthwhile for the nba

I'm sure more fans would enjoy it if the players actually tried their hardest like it was a playoff game. 2 dream teams going head to head giving it their all. THAT'S the All Star Game I want to see.

Instead what we get is a glorified vacation, and a scrimmage "game" without defense where the players are trying harder to show off their shooting/dunks/handles than their playing skill.

I understand it's all with good fun in mind, but it would be a lot more fun for the fans to see some amazing matchups of the top players in the game actually trying, with a playoff-esque atmosphere. Why do you think nobody refers to any All-Star-Game as a "classic matchup" or "amazing game"? Because they're not. And in their current form, they never will be. (Even though with the players that are on the roster, they should easily be some of the best games of all time)

Rake2204
02-26-2012, 11:32 AM
If the NBA would implement an all star fantasy draft like the NHL has done, with a captain on both teams, each helped by an "assistant" captain to help him pick his team, it would be ****ing awesome. Imagine the awkwardness when the last player gets picked. OMG i would honestly die watching it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz_f7ayRbEQ

I almost died of laughter while watching this.
Haha, I came real close to not clicking that link, but I'm glad I did. That was in fact pretty hilarious. Phil Kessel looks like a shlub. Then he walks all the way up the stairs with the announcer calling his name three times and doesn't realize it until he sits down. Then he has to stand up and walk back down the stairs again. Then they give him a car. Then the confetti's released and P.K. Subban thinks he's getting shot. Good stuff.

I'm sure more fans would enjoy it if the players actually tried their hardest like it was a playoff game. 2 dream teams going head to head giving it their all. THAT'S the All Star Game I want to see.

Instead what we get is a glorified vacation, and a scrimmage "game" without defense where the players are trying harder to show off their shooting/dunks/handles than their playing skill.

I understand it's all with good fun in mind, but it would be a lot more fun for the fans to see some amazing matchups of the top players in the game actually trying, with a playoff-esque atmosphere. Why do you think nobody refers to any All-Star-Game as a "classic matchup" or "amazing game"? Because they're not. And in their current form, they never will be. (Even though with the players that are on the roster, they should easily be some of the best games of all time)
I'm not sure why every game has to somehow be elevated to legendary status. I like the All-Star game because it's a break and an exhibition. An insane competition might be the competition you want to see, but it's not what we all want to see. I see great players compete against each other every single night. Then I see Olympic teams made up of the best of the best go at it. I'm alright with the All-Star game being a platform for NBA players to show the extent of their athletic abilities by attempting plays they otherwise wouldn't risk.

Personally, if the All-Star game just turned into another form of regular old NBA basketball with paced tempo, half-court offense, physical defense, fouls, time-outs, many free throws and mid-range jumpers, it'd lose a ton of its appeal to me.

konex
02-26-2012, 11:37 AM
I find most of Allstar Weekend to be a joke but the actual game has always been pretty entertaining. The MLB thing is dumb cos if the game is that serious, it'll ruin it. No one will try fancy moves or anything :hammerhead:

Why make the regular season even more irrelevant by copying the stupid MLB format? How does it make sense to base WS homefield on a game where the best players are out by the 3rd or 4th inning?

Fiasco
02-26-2012, 12:18 PM

EDIT: No.

I<3NBA
02-26-2012, 02:28 PM
the dunk contest is annoying. they should just call it the circus act because that's what it is. the essence of the contest, which are dunks have been buried by the pre-dunk show and the props.

but the East vs West game is still very entertaining. a 1 vs 1 match would be really entertaining.

305Baller
02-26-2012, 02:44 PM
this is my description of the dunk contest:

http://forgifs.com/gallery/d/198219-1/Accident-trucks-collide.gif