PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Smith ruined the dunk contest.

DuMa
02-26-2012, 12:47 AM
count out your steps son!.... 1... 2... 3... 4... 5... and let the crowd collectively say JUMP!!!

:facepalm

Batz
02-26-2012, 12:48 AM
Really? You think THAT ruined the dunk contest?

TheStarting5ive
02-26-2012, 12:51 AM
Kenny did help ruin it but he wasn't the only factor.

SwooshReturns
02-26-2012, 12:52 AM
Dunk contest has been dead since 2001, it was dead for awhile before that though, to be honest.

BarberSchool
02-26-2012, 12:54 AM
Kenny Smith helped ruin the dunk contest, but let's be real, sponsorships, choreographers, players listening to their g@y cousins for ideas......things like that are the driving force behind ruining the dunk contest.

Kenny Smith really does instantly make everything he is involved in noticeably worse though. He is a horrendously annoying, flimsy, low quality brand of @sswipe.

Rake2204
02-26-2012, 12:56 AM
Kenny Smith helped ruin the dunk contest, but let's be real, sponsorships and choreographers and the like are the driving force behind ruining the dunk contest.

As annoying as Kenny Smith was, I couldn't help but wonder who put him up to all of this. Even Smith wouldn't have been able to mastermind such a horribly choreographed disaster piece. It feels like he's selling a little bit of his soul out there.

SwooshReturns
02-26-2012, 12:56 AM
Yea but Kenny Smith's ICONIC "it's OVER ladies and gentlemen" is now infamous. Give credit where it's due, and STFU. This has NOTHING to do with Kenny Smith.

bence23
02-26-2012, 12:57 AM
04 was the last good one.. j rich vs desmond.

j rich was great 3 years in a row. :bowdown:

SacJB Shady
02-26-2012, 01:05 AM
Didn't lebron promise to be in the dunk contest one year? Why was that promise never fulfilled?

L.Kizzle
02-26-2012, 01:06 AM
A guy who didn't dunk ruined the contest, ok.

nightprowler10
02-26-2012, 01:08 AM
Kenny Smith really does instantly make everything he is involved in noticeably worse though. He is a horrendously annoying, flimsy, low quality brand of @sswipe.
Damn

SwooshReturns
02-26-2012, 01:09 AM

No, those weren't that great either.

The last ICONIC superstar caliber player dunk contest was 2001.

VC, T-Mac, Francis ... and I forget the other guys.

Rake2204
02-26-2012, 01:12 AM
Yea but Kenny Smith's ICONIC "it's OVER ladies and gentlemen" is now infamous. Give credit where it's due, and STFU. This has NOTHING to do with Kenny Smith.
In the right capacity, I'm actually totally cool with Kenny Smith. I thought he did a great job as the lone color commentator to Kevin Harlan for the Rookie Game last night.

However, as his role in the dunk contest has steadily increased, his annoyance level has also risen at an exponential level. To me, there's a huge difference between having a co-host help judge a contest while commentating (like he did beginning in 2000) versus the abomination put together this year.

I think everyone understands Kenny Smith was not the guy responsible for brainstorming these horrible setups. Just like actors aren't responsible for horrible scripts. They still look just as bad when it inevitably fails though.

Reverend Hoops
02-26-2012, 01:14 AM
No, those weren't that great either.

The last ICONIC superstar caliber player dunk contest was 2001.

VC, T-Mac, Francis ... and I forget the other guys.

J-Rich dunks were pretty amazing. He just wasn't a big name or superstar as you put it.

L.Kizzle
02-26-2012, 01:17 AM
J-Rich dunks were pretty amazing. He just wasn't a big name or superstar as you put it.
Mac and Francis ween't huge name either.

Hell, VC wasn't that popular (still popular to start) until the night after the dunk contest.

Rake2204
02-26-2012, 01:19 AM
Agreed. Richardson was a dunking legend. Superstars aren't as necessary as people believe they are. It's pimp override when a star turns in a legendary dunk moment (VC, MJ) but non-stars also leave significant footprints as well (Dee Brown, J.R. Rider, Jason Richardson).

BarberSchool
02-26-2012, 01:24 AM
As annoying as Kenny Smith was, I couldn't help but wonder who put him up to all of this. Even Smith wouldn't have been able to mastermind such a horribly choreographed disaster piece. It feels like he's selling a little bit of his soul out there.Every single fiber of Kenny Smith's being lives for selling out. He loves selling out so much he'd do it for free as long as he was given a mic and a crowd.

NewYorkNoPicks
02-26-2012, 01:24 AM
Kenny Smith was fine. Anyone who speaks publicly on a frequent basis, or is an MC, DJ or other individual working with crowds knows that a golden rule to success is getting the crowd involved. Kenny tried to do that with asking the crowd to tell him when to jump. It was a horrible dunk contest because of the participants, not for any other reason.

However, I am glad that Jeremy Evans won...seems like a good guy.

Locked_Up_Tonight
02-26-2012, 01:33 AM
The dunk contest was over the day Brent Barry didn't even take off his warmup jacket and could do the exact the same dunk that Dr. J and Jordan both won the contest with.....

SwooshReturns
02-26-2012, 01:35 AM
The dunk contest was over the day Brent Barry didn't even take off his warmup jacket and could do the exact the same dunk that Dr. J and Jordan both won the contest with.....
The closet racist makes his way to the stage.

:oldlol:

That isn't the only dunk that won MJ and Dr. J their dunk contests

Rake2204
02-26-2012, 01:40 AM
It was a horrible dunk contest because of the participants, not for any other reason.

I completely, whole-heartedly disagree. If the dunks just sucked, I would have been disappointed and that would have been the end of it. Instead, since we had stage performances, motorcycles, head-cams, monologues, Kenny Smith trying to make the crowd count at light speed in unison to help a guy who could already see, terribly awkward exchanges ... basically every possibly distraction available to draw attention away from the dunks themselves, not only do I feel disappointed, but I feel uncomfortable, dirty, and embarrassed. It was just so ... cringey.

Locked_Up_Tonight
02-26-2012, 01:43 AM
That isn't the only dunk that won MJ and Dr. J their dunk contests.

The free throw line dunk is what won MJ the dunk contest (I believe in Chicago).... Dominique had like a 48. Jordan needed a 50. He got it on the last dunk, the free throw line dunk.

Dr. J had pretty much the exact same scenario only the contest was in Denver I believe.

What I said was accurate. The free throw line dunk won both their respective dunk contests. And what is sad is a white guy did the dunk without even taking off his damn warm up jacket. Not sure what I said makes me a racist. The dunk contest immediately lost its appeal after that. Sure some years were all right. But the bloom was off the rose from that point on.

L.Kizzle
02-26-2012, 01:45 AM
I completely, whole-heartedly disagree. If the dunks just sucked, I would have been disappointed and that would have been the end of it. Instead, since we had stage performances, motorcycles, head-cams, monologues, Kenny Smith trying to make the crowd count at light speed in unison to help a guy who could already see, terribly awkward exchanges ... basically every possibly distraction available to draw attention away from the dunks themselves, not only do I feel disappointed, but I feel uncomfortable, dirty, and embarrassed. It was just so ... cringey.
Kenny Smith was the MC, that's what an MC (Master of Ceremony) is supposed to do.

Locked_Up_Tonight
02-26-2012, 01:46 AM
Kenny Smith was the MC, that's what an MC (Master of Ceremony) is supposed to do.

If the MC is supposed to be as annoying as hell to listen to.... then they should get rid of the MCF all together.

Rake2204
02-26-2012, 01:47 AM
I suppose my next question would be, why is there an MC? And why is he walking players through skits about mailmen?

L.Kizzle
02-26-2012, 01:50 AM
I suppose my next question would be, why is there an MC? And why is he walking players through skits about mailmen?
If he wasn't the MC, we wouldn't know what Kevin Hart, Diddy or Ced-C were there for. We've all seen comedy shows, where the MC or host set up the next performer coming to the stage.

While he is the MC, there is no reason for an MC at a dunk contest.

Jordan23GOAT
02-26-2012, 01:53 AM
No judges, kenny smith being stupid, very little cool dunks. These were all factors of an awful dunk contest.

pinoyballer247
02-26-2012, 02:04 AM
Didn't lebron promise to be in the dunk contest one year? Why was that promise never fulfilled?
Didn't LeBron also promise Cleveland a championship? And we all know how that turned out. :lol

joshwake
02-26-2012, 02:12 AM
the best part was that Chase was clearly looking through the bottom of the blindfold. And when he went up for the dunk he turned his head to watch the rim the whole way through.... The first miss was just a staged miss.

sixerfan82
02-26-2012, 02:16 AM

2 reasons...lebron in the dunk contest would be 2001/11 over again..carter and griffin won because of their name...

second reason is..lebron might choke..i mean, he's supposed to win if he enters, right?

L.Kizzle
02-26-2012, 02:18 AM
2 reasons...lebron in the dunk contest would be 2001/11 over again..carter and griffin won because of their name...

second reason is..lebron might choke..i mean, he's supposed to win if he enters, right?
You sure Carter won because of his name or because he had the better dunks?
Griffin, what name, this dunk contest gave him his fame.

Rake2204
02-26-2012, 02:20 AM
While he is the MC, there is no reason for an MC at a dunk contest.
That's more or less what I was going for. There's no reason any of that stuff should have existed.

With respect, I must ask if you would like to reconsider at least part of this statement.

RoseCity07
02-26-2012, 02:24 AM
The NBA needs to stop the dunk contest and do a 1 on 1 contest.

The 3 point contest will always be the best event to me. Anyone can do that drill and it's fun to see if any of the players can make all 25 shots.

All-Star weekend is just boring now.

The skills challenge is lame too. You can't get to see the speed of the guards because the changing of direction slows them down. They need to have a course that encourages the guards to sprint while dribbling.

You can't have a timed event and have John Wall and Westbrook having to slow down as they round the cones. It's boring.

Rake2204
02-26-2012, 02:29 AM
The NBA needs to stop the dunk contest and do a 1 on 1 contest.

The 3 point contest will always be the best event to me. Anyone can do that drill and it's fun to see if any of the players can make all 25 shots.

All-Star weekend is just boring now.

The skills challenge is lame too. You can't get to see the speed of the guards because the changing of direction slows them down. They need to have a course that encourages the guards to sprint while dribbling.

You can't have a timed event and have John Wall and Westbrook having to slow down as they round the cones. It's boring.
I actually agree with you about a potential sprint portion added to the Skills competition. I'm guessing they feel the sprint comes in on the final layup, though there's not a ton of space. I'd suggest eliminating one weave stretch and turning it into an outright speed dribble, but that might make the "skills" portion feel too empty.

Regarding the one-on-one competition, I can't see any stars today submitting to such an idea. If they can't muster up the courage to compete in the dunk contest, I doubt they'll put their rep on the line for a 1-on-1 performance.

Deuce Bigalow
02-26-2012, 03:07 AM
Props ruined the dunk contest
No judges ruins the contest

Eric Cartman
02-26-2012, 03:12 AM
"Back in my day we had Desmond Mason, Jason Richardson, Vince Carter doing sick dunks, now it's just embarrasing with all the props, the kids of today will not understand."

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/286/1/a/hipster_kitty_wallpaper_by_sebas310-d30o69l.png

bluechox2
02-26-2012, 03:48 AM
something cool would be if the fans vote for the best 12 dunks they would like to see, and then put those on a wheel for the 4 contestants to spin and perform. let it be random and unpredictable, if you cant do it, too bad

instead we see this crap nowadays where they practice it to hell, instead of it being based off true ability and skill

mrpibb
02-26-2012, 07:10 AM
I can practice a between-the-legs windmill dunk all I want, but I'll never be able to do it.

It's still skill, bro.

sodap
02-26-2012, 07:55 AM
last night I was under the impression that the participants hadn't even prepared the contest at all. they basically put no ammount of effort to the whole thing. It was really disrespectful to the fans.

For a good dunk contest (or all star game for that matter) you need participants that actually have some drive to win it, and put some level of competition into the whole thing. thats why the 3pt contest was actually interesting, all of them wanted to take the victory.

the single most important thing is the player selection, you have to select people who have a rilvary between them, or really want to be in the dunk contest for some reason (international players for example, are usually decent at the very least).

kidachi
02-26-2012, 07:59 AM

j-rich vs. desmond was in 03..

to me '06 was the last good one.. Nate vs. Iggy.. I know most of us think Iggy was robbed but nevermind the result.. That shyt was entertaining..

shallehalle
02-26-2012, 08:15 AM
Dunk contest has been dead since 2001, it was dead for awhile before that though, to be honest.
then rewatch 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008

coin24
02-26-2012, 08:23 AM
I didnt mind it this year, there was some great dunks..
Although, id have to agree I prefer the old format with the judges, and go back to it being about the dunks, not so many gimmicks etc..

The best dunks this year no surprises were actual dunks, not prop gimmick BS:oldlol:

It might help if they asked or selected some bigger name players to make it more appealing though:confusedshrug:

ALSO... Sit down the guys competing in it, and make them watch some HS, college, sprite, TFB, youtube etc dunk comps, even some of the older NBA ones, and show them what is expected and say NO to props and gimmicks... Al those comps always seem much better to me!!

swi7ch
02-26-2012, 09:24 AM

cos he likes to troll ppl like you

Glide2keva
02-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Yeah because the wack dunks had absolutely nothing to do with ruining the DC. :rolleyes:

inclinerator
02-26-2012, 09:43 AM
i wish lebron would join, he can do every dunk in this contest easily and better. watching evans and paul, lebron is on a whole nother level in terms of athleticism

Glide2keva
02-26-2012, 09:45 AM
i wish lebron would join, he can do every dunk in this contest easily and better. watching evans and paul, lebron is on a whole nother level in terms of athleticism
I watched lebron in a DC, wasn't impressed.

Shepseskaf
02-26-2012, 11:07 AM
I haven't watched a dunk contest in a decade, because they all pretty much suck.

The Kenny hate has to stop, though. Just look at how pretty his daughter is.

Rake2204
02-26-2012, 12:24 PM
something cool would be if the fans vote for the best 12 dunks they would like to see, and then put those on a wheel for the 4 contestants to spin and perform. let it be random and unpredictable, if you cant do it, too bad

instead we see this crap nowadays where they practice it to hell, instead of it being based off true ability and skill
I would not be a fan of this at all, ever. I must ask, do you remember the wheel of 2002? That was full of dunks we'd already seen before, and even that was a complete mess (outside of Jason Richardson stumbling upon Dominique's windmill, Jason's signature dunk). Steve Francis, a legendary two-foot dunker, drew Terence Stansbury's one-foot, Statue of Liberty helicopter 360. For a dunker like Francis, it was an impossible task. So, instead of seeing something wild Francis had created, we had to watch him struggle through the worst dunk imitation we'd ever seen. Could you see how problematic it might be if fans voted for a 720 and Rudy Gay was then tasked with completing it?

The main draw of the dunk contest is player creativity. What will they do that would reflect upon their particular athletic skill set? Further, to lament players of today due to their apparent willingness to practice their dunks is completely out of place. They're supposed to practice. The biggest disasters most often come when players don't have a plan and try a dunk for the first time the night of the contest. Vince Carter claims he just went with the flow the night of his contest and if that's to be believed, he'd be a very rare exception. When you're the best dunker of all-time, I think you might be afforded that luxury.