PDA

View Full Version : Cast your vote on Wilt Chamberlain

bwink23
03-01-2012, 11:30 PM
With all the empirical, fictional, nonfictional, visual evidence, and first-hand accounts from players that saw and played with The Stilt....With THE ABUNDANCE of information that has been presented by Wilt fans such as Cav and J-Laub (and a couple others).....using your abilities of reasoning and your own 2 set of eyes, would you say Wilt was:

1. An Average Athlete.
2. A Good Athlete.
3. A Great Athlete.
4. An Elite Athlete.

This is in the context of ALL-TIME.

Faptastrophe
03-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Wilt was an elite athlete/ player. /thread

Of course somebody will bring up the point about would he be the same in the modern NBA. The answer is no, he wouldn't.. but he'd still be an elite basketball player with 20-25% lower averages.

Anyways that's just a game of what ifs.. cause there's no way we can find out how the things would be.

I hope I made this understandable. Grammaticaly and otherwise.. it's 6PM where I live, so sorry if i screwed up in any way.

bwink23
03-01-2012, 11:41 PM
I would also lump Chamberlain in with the ELITE athletes...His numbers shouldn't even be a part of that discussion. How many 7-footers in league history had his physical tools?? I'm talking TRUE 7-footers, not 6-10, 6-11 guys in thick shoes.

Kblaze8855
03-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Relative to his size hes one of the great athletes ever. So elite if you qualify it that way. He was a 7'1'' 265-300+ pound guy doing things in track that in some cases wouldnt have put him dead last in those events in the olympics.

But hes not all time elite minus the qualifier of his size. I doubt anyone over the 6'7'' range could be.

Deuce Bigalow
Jevale McGee

Derivative
nuber 3

B
03-01-2012, 11:44 PM
4. Anyone thinking anything else has salad dressing for brains

bwink23
03-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Jevale McGee

And what type of athlete are you saying then.

zay_24
03-01-2012, 11:48 PM
Elite athlete.
Decent player.

Deuce Bigalow
03-01-2012, 11:49 PM
And what type of athlete are you saying then.
Javale dunked on 2 hoops at once in the Dunk contest last year...or was that last year? maybe '10

bwink23
03-01-2012, 11:51 PM
Javale dunked on 2 hoops at once in the Dunk contest last year...or was that last year? maybe '10

That's fine...but how about you do what the post is about....and cast your vote on 1-4 on Wilt Chamberlain. It's not that difficult.

CavaliersFTW
03-01-2012, 11:51 PM
With all the empirical, fictional, nonfictional, visual evidence, and first-hand accounts from players that saw and played with The Stilt....With THE ABUNDANCE of information that has been presented by Wilt fans such as Cav and J-Laub (and a couple others).....using your abilities of reasoning and your own 2 set of eyes, would you say Wilt was:

1. An Average Athlete.
2. A Good Athlete.
3. A Great Athlete.
4. An Elite Athlete.

This is in the context of ALL-TIME.

None of the above.

5. Epic Athlete - All Time.

Wilt was a better specimen that Shaq was. Wilt was a better specimen than just about any athlete from any sport except for that terrifying Russian Wrestler who went undefeated, can't remember his name lol - that guy was shaped differently but between him and Wilt I can't think of a more imposing human form. It's not about his #'s on the Track or the weight room or the basketball court, etc. All of those are certainly well above avg sometimes even spectacular but cherry picking them is not the point at all. It's about all of his athletic feats + the god damn size he was and how he seemed to defy physics by being so athletic as to put smaller people to shame. He was longer than Yao Ming, as massive as Shaq, as durable as Kareem (he just decided to stop playing), and one of the strongest athletes not-specifically-competing-in-weighlifting to ever play any sport.

Can you imagine what he'd do if he'd been disciplined in 1 on 1 spectator sports or contact sports such as: Roman Gladiatorial combat!? Rugby or (American) Football!? Professional Boxer!? etc. In competitions that are physical, especially on an individual basis, he's got no analogue. None. He ran extended marathons into his mid 50's as a 290lb person for Christs sake...

bwink23
03-02-2012, 12:00 AM
None of the above.

Wilt was a better specimen that Shaq was. Wilt was a better specimen than just about any athlete from any sport except for that terrifying Russian Wrestler who went undefeated, can't remember his name lol - that guy was shaped differently but between him and Wilt I can't think of a more imposing human form. It's not about his #'s on the Track or the weight room or the basketball court, etc. All of those are certainly well above avg sometimes even spectacular but cherry picking them is not the point at all. It's about all of his athletic feats + the god damn size he was and how he seemed to defy physics by being so athletic as to put smaller people to shame. He was longer than Yao Ming, as massive as Shaq, as durable as Kareem (he just decided to stop playing), and one of the strongest athletes not-specifically-competing-in-weighlifting to ever play any sport.

Can you imagine what he'd do if he'd been disciplined in 1 on 1 spectator sports or contact sports such as: Roman Gladiatorial combat!? Rugby or (American) Football!? Professional Boxer!? etc. In competitions that are physical, especially on an individual basis, he's got no analogue. None. He ran extended marathons into his mid 50's as a 290lb person for Christs sake...

I'm gonna take that as AT LEAST number 4.....:lol

Deuce Bigalow
03-02-2012, 12:03 AM
None of the above.

Oh goodness this guy :roll: :roll: :roll:

bwink23
03-02-2012, 12:04 AM

Cast your vote 1-4.

AngelEyes
03-02-2012, 12:04 AM
None of the above.

At 7'1" what position is he going to play?

bwink23
03-02-2012, 12:05 AM

Wide receiver....just throw the ball up he'll get it :roll:

CavaliersFTW
03-02-2012, 12:06 AM

Your trolling - even if directed at me - always cracks me up :oldlol:

CavaliersFTW
03-02-2012, 12:15 AM
The Kansas City Chiefs head coach wanted him to become the Chief's receiver.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-tDn7lBlbaC8/T1BIb5WnVRI/AAAAAAAADIM/n46efDf56To/s800/Wilt%2520Chamberlain%2520football.jpg

http://www.kansascitykc.com/chiefs/hank-stram/hank-stram-chiefs.jpg
Hank Stram - Head Coach of the Kansas City Chiefs:
- "I'm certain from what I saw he would be the greatest flanker back in football."
- "With his size, his speed, his range there isn't a defensive back in the world who could even come close to containing him."

Stram was winning championships with his Chiefs at this time, it's 1966... yet he was drooling at the chance to get Wilt on the field with his team because he was "certain" he'd be the best flanker in football!?. Those are strong words from a highly respected championship winning head-coach.

Also note, 4.6 40 yard dash... at 7'1 and 290lbs... barefoot!

iamgine
03-02-2012, 12:26 AM
As an Athlete, he's certainly elite. Did track and high jump on national level.

As a basketball player though, he benefited a lot from the inferior competition in his era. Even the HOFers in that era wasn't good if compared to the modern players.

CavaliersFTW
03-02-2012, 12:32 AM
As an Athlete, he's certainly elite. Did track and high jump on national level.

As a basketball player though, he benefited a lot from the inferior competition in his era. Even the HOFers in that era wasn't good if compared to the modern players.

HOF centers of his era are better than any centers today.

Who's superior today to Walt Bellamy, Thurmond, Reed, KAJ, Russell, Cowens? - hell how many starting centers today are better than lesser centers of that era like Embry, 3? perhaps 4?

You can argue guards or w/e small men playing in that era were "inferior" but Wilt doesn't play against guards... That was the age of dominant centers - back when the league was small enough to sustain a steady draft of them.

Pointguard
03-02-2012, 12:39 AM
4. If he was dedicated and fully trained in a couple of track and field events he could have been in contention for an Olympic medal. I don't know if they had the 440 high hurdles at that time but that would seem idea for him. He had good numbers in triple jump, broad jump, high jump and very good speed. You usually need two years of refining technique in the jumping competitions. Atheletes above seven feet, young Wilt would be among the best athletes on the planet today.

He changed the sport. It became an above the rim sport after he influenced the game. He, also, seemingly brought a lot of style to the game as well because he was so athletic.

Deuce Bigalow
03-02-2012, 12:41 AM
6. GOD athlete

50" vert
500 lb bench
Stomped a mountain lion
HOF Volleyball player
Track star
Amazing sexual longevity

Do I need to say more?

CavaliersFTW
03-02-2012, 12:45 AM
6. GOD athlete

50" vert
500 lb bench
Stomped a mountain lion
HOF Volleyball player
Track star

Do I need to say more?
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/--N316czoobQ/T08L9JkSFrI/AAAAAAAADHk/fTA-ZSaox80/s400/color%2520HD2.jpg
http://thevinylshack.com/images/P/1010.png

:bowdown:

bwink23
03-02-2012, 01:04 AM
6. GOD athlete

50" vert
500 lb bench
Stomped a mountain lion
HOF Volleyball player
Track star
Amazing sexual longevity

Do I need to say more?

I take it you don't know how to count....1-4.

Deuce Bigalow
03-02-2012, 01:08 AM
I take it you don't know how to count....1-4.
1-4 is only for humans

305Baller
03-02-2012, 01:10 AM
Im gonna say great to elite.

He would jump from the freethrow line and layit up for freethrows

Sarcastic
03-02-2012, 01:13 AM
Four.

bwink23
03-02-2012, 01:14 AM
1-4 is only for humans

Looking at the posts so far, your D-bag rating in ISH in on the rise...:pimp:

SlayerEnraged
03-02-2012, 01:17 AM
.......wasn't there a thread than found literally 2 whole guys he faced that weighed 230 pounds and were 7 '0 +?

CavaliersFTW
03-02-2012, 01:18 AM
Im gonna say great to elite.

He would jump from the freethrow line and layit up for freethrows
Merely layit up?
http://www.your3dsource.com/images/colorchangearrowdown.gif

The NCAA Coach's Committee Proposal For 1956 NCAA Rule Changes
March 24, 1956
(Nationally Circulated Story)
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ywBQHQ9CL78/T0mwN5lhw5I/AAAAAAAAC_8/jNAPNb3GcAM/s400/March%252024th%25201956%2520-%2520free%2520throw%2520rule%2520proposal.jpg
Near the end of the 1955-56 NCAA season, the Coaches Committee appears to have organized, and voted on taking 4 new rule change suggestions too the next level up (The Rules and Regulations Committee) in the hopes for some new changes that would further diminish the dominance of athletic big men in college basketball. This curtails 2 rule changes that were made the prior season to address the big man dominance of Bill Russell and the other (now forgotten) NCAA stud at the time Bill Uhl. Both of whom were graduating in the next few months - these new rules are quietly focused on the up and coming NCAA big man, Wilt Chamberlain. Highlighted, is 2 rule proposals that are important to note. Releasing the ball from behind the free throw line, and no inbound passes above the backboard.

Two days later: Basketball Rules and Regulations Committee Approves Rule Changes
March 26, 1956
(Nationally Circulated Story)
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ls0txYItPN0/T0mwRJURGwI/AAAAAAAADAM/UiT80PsPaOs/s800/March%252026th%25201956%2520-%2520free%2520throw%2520rule%2520accepted.jpg
Highlighted: Another rules change says no player may have his foot into the free throw lane when a free throw is attempted until the ball hits the cylinder or backboard. Previously a player could leap into the lane so long as his foot did not touch the floor until the ball hit the cylinder or backboard. "This caused some cheating" said Hayes. "The man on the free throw line would leap into the air and dunk the ball in."
Interestingly, although they mention Wilt directly in the beginning of this article there is still no specification as to who the cheating free throw dunker/'s is/are. But they definitely are convinced one/some exists. Who could he/they be?... Some of those "unathletic white guys" of that era? Hmmm....

Eight Months Later, A Northwest Ohio Newspaper Runs A Story That Reveals The Previously Unspecified Free Throw Dunker
November 28, 1956
The Toledo Blade
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-fe4Ni9coRas/T0noVgi85OI/AAAAAAAADBM/_1tkKlTPhDI/s800/November%252028%252C%25201956%2520-%2520Wilt%2520Dunks%2520his%2520free%2520throws.jp g
The Devil is in the details... And now we've got some. It looks like a fellow by the name of Tex Winter (the coach at Kansas State) was the first man to complain of Wilt Chamberlain dunking free throws to the Coaches Committee.
It seems Wilt has an unorthodox method of shooting free throws. The big guy takes aim at the basket from several feet behind the line. Then he takes about three giant steps, leaves his feet before reaching the line, and stuffs the ball through the hoop. Under the old rule, it was perfectly legal as Wilt never touched the floor before letting go of the ball. In addition his percentage was fantastic. "Why, he would have had a free throw percentage of 100," said [Tex] Winter. "He never missed." Incidentally the rules committee did not mention Chamberlain by name as a reason for the change. The rule change was made, according to the committee, "to prevent freak activity."

http://i.imgur.com/3B2Vs.png
The closest image that exists that shows him taking off near the free throw line. No, of course this isn't the same as the described NCAA free-throw line dunks. Sorry - it's just the next best thing to show he can dunk and leap from near a free throw line. As much as people think photographic or video proof should exist - for w/e reason photographers decided not take pictures of Wilt "fooling around" in the gym as an ineligible freshmen. Which I'm about to touch base on in the next historical piece of information:

Thirty-Three Years Later, Wilt, For The First Time In His Life, Publicly Makes Mention That He Used To Dunk Free Throws As A Freshman In College
http://articles.latimes.com/1989-02-12/sports/sp-2996_1_basketball-player/5
Los Angeles Times
February 12, 1989
"When I was a freshman, I fooled around with shooting free throws this way: For some reason, I thought you had to stay within the top half of that free-throw circle, so I would step back to just inside the top of the circle, take off from behind the line and dunk. They outlawed that, but I wouldn't have done it in a game, anyway. I was a good free throw shooter in college."
Actually he was a 62% free throw shooter, which is poor except in comparison to his 51% as a pro.
Yes, this is the first time Wilt ever even publicly mentions free-throw dunks. Seeing as how he lived in Kansas and how internet newspaper archive's didn't exist from 1956-1989, do you think Wilt ever read the "Toledo Blade"s November 28th 1956 article that mentioned Tex Winter's eye-witness account of Wilt dunking free throws? Why does Wilt state that he only fooled around with doing it as a freshmen in college, isn't that a rather fitting, and specific piece of information based on the previous independent pieces of evidence? ... And does that specific information not tie in eerily perfect with what Tex Winter's is about to say in the very next interview?:

Fifty-Five Years Later Tex Winter Recalls His Eyewitness Account In Detail In An Interview About Coaching Against Wilt Chamberlain
BBall Breakdown
August 1st, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyz-FhP2ONk&t=3m16s
Literally, almost word for word what he says perfectly matches every event that previously was recorded in history. Wilt and Tex never personally met. Wilt and the majority of basketball fans probably never had access to the Toledo Blade unless they lived in Northwest Ohio. Yet all of this is making incredibly good sense, and is spot on, including side-note information like Tex shedding light on why other rule changes made plays illegal such as lobbing the ball over the backboard to Chamberlain on inbound plays. There aren't any holes in the evidence of this at all.

305Baller
.......wasn't there a thread than found literally 2 whole guys he faced that weighed 230 pounds and were 7 '0 +?

thus 100

Eric Cartman
Wilt nuts riding is getting ridiculous in this board.

bwink23
03-02-2012, 01:21 AM

What would that have to do with him being a tremendous athlete?? I suggest you further research the recent threads about Wilt in this forum.

CavaliersFTW
03-02-2012, 01:24 AM

Yes and that claim was debunked.

Anyone over 6'10 qualifies as 7'0 in today's NBA.
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/desagana_diop/
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Desagana-Diop-2241/

What do all these 7 footers have in common?

Tyson Chandler
Tim Duncan
Brook Lopez
Robin Lopez
Hakeem Olajuwon
Patrick Ewing
Joakim Noah
Brendan Haywood
BJ Mullins
Darko Miclic
Spencer Hawes
Jerome Jordan
Chris Kaman
Tyson Chandler
Yi Jianlian
Andrew Bogut
Greg Oden
Javale McGee
Marcin Gortat

Well... They aren't truthfully 7 feet tall at all. Fudging player heights and using "in shoes" height is strictly a post-1970's-media-age-NBA thing and it's their best kept secret from casual fans. Exaggerating player size for greater fan appeal makes sense to their financial success so they started doing it. Secretly at first but draft camp data is now widely available thanks to the internet.
www.draftexpress.com/measurements
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/larrybird_shh.jpg

Listed weights are not reality.
In 1989, David Robinson was listed at 235lbs but at the Olympics he was weighed and found to be only 227lbs. Eventually he weighed more, obviously but at the time his list weight was actually exaggerated. Wilt Chamberlain was listed 275 in 1964 (and for the rest of his career) but when he stepped on the locker room scale in 1964 mid-season, it reads 292. hmmmm......... Bill Russell was listed a flat out unrealistic 215 for his entire career - in 1967 he openly talks about his increased weight progression up to 235, and in the off-seasons he weighed 240. Those vintage players in particular were listed via their draft weight's when they were skinny rookies. None of them stayed that weight, all of them gained weight especially playing in the post - some of them gained a massive amount of weight.

ALL *32 of these men played Wilt for 2 seasons or more, are 7'0 tall by modern NBA standards. And either immediately as rookies, or after a few seasons, they all ultimately exceeded 230lbs.

*Nate Thurmond (HOF, 50 greatest)
*Walt Bellamy (HOF)
*Kareem Abdul Jabbar (HOF, 50 greatest)
*Tom Boerwinkle
*Ray Felix
*Bill Russell (HOF, 50 greatest)
*Walter Dukes
*Swede Halbrook
*Darrell Imhoff
*Bevo Nordman
*Mel Counts
*Jon Thompson
*Joe Strawder
*Reggie Harding
*Jim Fox
*Rich Niemen
*Dick Cunningham
*Dale Schlueter
*Dave Newmark
*Luther Rackley
*Otto Moore
*Neal Walk
*Greg Filmore
*Dennis Awtry
*George Johnson
*Bob Christian
*Tom Black
*Sam Lacey
*Bob Lanier (HOF)
*Elmore Smith
*Jim McDaniels
*William Smith

If we're being fair and comparing along side modern players who are listed in their shoes and have fudged heights, than Wilt played against no less than thirty-two 7 footers playing against him multiple seasons based on this criteria.

ThaRegul8r
03-02-2012, 01:24 AM
I'm curious as to the purpose of this thread, and whether an agenda was involved. Perhaps I'm overly-suspicious, but considering how people are on internet basketball boards, I have reason to be. Especially for a question whose answer is self-evident.

SlayerEnraged
03-02-2012, 01:26 AM
What would that have to do with him being a tremendous athlete?? I suggest you further research the recent threads about Wilt in this forum.

Because Competition and who you're going up against makes u look a lot better or worse as far as skills and atheltism goes, depending on your defender. I obviously never watched Wilt live, but I've seen the stats. They get worse vs. better competition in the playoffs and vs better players like Bill Russell.

ThaRegul8r
03-02-2012, 01:26 AM

Tyson Chandler
Brook Lopez
Robin Lopez
Hakeem Olajuwon
Patrick Ewing
Joakim Noah
Brendan Haywood
BJ Mullins
Darko Miclic
Spencer Hawes
Jerome Jordan
Chris Kaman
Tyson Chandler
Yi Jianlian
Andrew Bogut
Greg Oden
Javale McGee
Marcin Gortat

*Gasp! They aren't truthfully 7 feet tall at all! It's the post-1970's-media-age-NBA's best kept secret! Exaggerating player size for greater fan appeal.
:violin:

Don't forget Tim Duncan, who was formerly listed as 7 feet when he played with David Robinson, but who subsequently shrunk to 6-11 after Robinson retired.

:rolleyes:

bwink23
03-02-2012, 01:28 AM
I'm curious as to the purpose of this thread, and whether an agenda was involved. Perhaps I'm overly-suspicious, but considering how people are on internet basketball boards, I have reason to be. Especially for a question whose answer is self-evident.

The agenda is too see what the various ISH posters think about Wilt as ALL-TIME athlete....

Post 1-4 Please.

iamgine
03-02-2012, 01:31 AM
HOF centers of his era are better than any centers today.

Who's superior today to Walt Bellamy, Thurmond, Reed, KAJ, Russell, Cowens? - hell how many starting centers today are better than lesser centers of that era like Embry, 3? perhaps 4?

You can argue guards or w/e small men playing in that era were "inferior" but Wilt doesn't play against guards... That was the age of dominant centers - back when the league was small enough to sustain a steady draft of them.
Not really. Maybe Russell were decent. The rest are meh.

KAJ and Cowens's prime was way after Wilt retire. LOL @ Embry.

Centers do play a lot against guards/forwards and vice versa.

CavaliersFTW
03-02-2012, 01:33 AM
Don't forget Tim Duncan, who was formerly listed as 7 feet when he played with David Robinson, but who subsequently shrunk to 6-11 after Robinson retired.

:rolleyes:

Your right, added him in there thanks

:cheers:

SlayerEnraged
03-02-2012, 01:33 AM
Yes and that claim was debunked.

Tyson Chandler
Brook Lopez
Robin Lopez
Hakeem Olajuwon
Patrick Ewing
Joakim Noah
Brendan Haywood
BJ Mullins
Darko Miclic
Spencer Hawes
Jerome Jordan
Chris Kaman
Tyson Chandler
Yi Jianlian
Andrew Bogut
Greg Oden
Javale McGee
Marcin Gortat

Well... They aren't truthfully 7 feet tall at all. Fudging player heights and using "in shoes" height is strictly a post-1970's-media-age-NBA thing and it's their best kept secret from casual fans. Exaggerating player size for greater fan appeal makes sense to their financial success so they started doing it. Secretly at first but draft camp data is now widely available thanks to the internet.
:violin:

Listed weights are not reality.
In 1989, David Robinson was listed at 235lbs but at the Olympics he was weighed and found to be only 227lbs. Eventually he weighed more, obviously but at the time his list weight was actually exaggerated. Wilt Chamberlain was listed 275 in 1964 (and for the rest of his career) but when he stepped on the locker room scale in 1964 mid-season, it reads 292. hmmmm......... Bill Russell was listed a flat out unrealistic 215 for his entire career - in 1967 he openly talks about his increased weight progression up to 235, and in the off-seasons he weighed 240. Those vintage players in particular were listed via their draft weight's when they were skinny rookies. None of them stayed that weight, all of them gained weight especially playing in the post - some of them gained a massive amount of weight. :facepalm

ALL *32 of these men played Wilt for 2 seasons or more, are 7'0 tall by modern NBA standards, and exceeded 230lbs.

*Nate Thurmond (HOF, 50 greatest) THERES 1!
*Walt Bellamy (HOF) THERE'S 2!
*Kareem Abdul Jabbar (HOF, 50 greatest) THERE'S 3
*Tom Boerwinkle THERE'S 4!
*Ray Felix THERE'S 5!
*Bill Russell (HOF, 50 greatest) THERE'S 6!
*Walter Dukes THERE'S 7!
*Swede Halbrook THERE'S 8!
*Darrell Imhoff THERE'S 9!
*Bevo Nordman THERE'S 10!
*Mel Counts THERE'S 11!
*Jon Thompson THERE'S 12!
*Joe Strawder THERE'S 13!
*Reggie Harding THERE'S 14!
*Jim Fox THERE'S 15!
*Rich Niemen THERE'S 16!
*Dick Cunningham THERE'S 17!
*Dale Schlueter THERE'S 18!
*Dave Newmark THERE'S 19!
*Luther Rackley THERE'S 20!
*Otto Moore THERE'S 21!
*Neal Walk THERE'S 22!
*Greg Filmore THERE'S 23!
*Dennis Awtry THERE'S 24!
*George Johnson THERE'S 25!
*Bob Christian THERE'S 26!
*Tom Black THERE'S 27!
*Sam Lacey THERE'S 28!
*Bob Lanier (HOF) THERE'S 29!
*Elmore Smith THERE'S 30!
*Jim McDaniels THERE'S 31!
*William Smith THERE'S 32!

If we're being fair and comparing along side modern players who are listed in their shoes and have fudged heights, than Wilt played against no less than thirty-two 7 footers playing against him multiple seasons based on this criteria.

You're telling me there wasn't this criteria in the 70's? The weight difference is staggering as well. Weight and height are never going to be exact but they illustrate the general trends.

CavaliersFTW
03-02-2012, 01:46 AM
You're telling me there wasn't this criteria in the 70's? The weight difference is staggering as well. Weight and height are never going to be exact but they illustrate the general trends.

Up until about 1990 all centers from any era mid 50's and on were pretty much a consistent height and weight range - and average. Weight lifting is a trend that did change player weights, but league wide weight increase that resulted from this is not nearly as much as people would think.

Dwight Howard's rookie weight was 240lbs...

Only 5lbs heavier than Bill Russell's playing weight from 1966-on

Tom Boerwinkle was a 265lb rookie and was 275 and 280 in Chamberlains last 2 seasons... how many players weigh 280 today? Dwight does at this time I think, Bynum certainly weighs ~300'ish but c'mon... that's freakin massive, and rarely seen even in today's league. Highest weigh in for Embry I have found is 255 but I suspect he was even heavier. Bellamy and Thurmond both HOF'ers and great athletes, eventually exceeded 250 (That's David Robinsons mid-career playing weight) and both of those guys were only 1" shorter than Robinson and Thurmond most likely had a longer wingspan and reach than Robinson...

The idea that the era was loaded with twerps is a misconception. Unless you also think 1989 was loaded with twerps.

jlauber
03-02-2012, 01:50 AM
I don't see how the man could NOT be considered among the greatest all-around athletes of all-time, regardless of sport.

Hank Stram considered him a potential Pro-Bowler. And don't forget, Stram was one of the first coach's to go HUGE in the defensive line. He had 6-9 Buck Buchanon.

None other than Cus D'Amato felt that Wilt had a chance of beating Ali in a boxing match. There were even those in the Ali camp who feared the fight.

Wilt participated in SEVERAL track events in High School and College...and most PART-TIME. Still, he WON High Jump championships (and with poor technique.) His coach reportedly claimed that a dedicated Chamberlain could have been a 7-0 high jumper.

There was no question that Chamberlain was considered one of the strongest athletes in the world. Don't take MY word for, just google his bench press, or strength.

Some idiotic posters here laugh at the claims that Wilt was a world-class volleyball player (BTW, I never made that claim, BUT, there are articles which do.) Here again, he took the sport up late in life, and he played with Pat Powers, who captained the 1984 USA Olympic team. Oh, and BTW, Chamberlain is the Volleyball HOF.

There are also those that played with Wilt, who claimed he was the fastest player in the NBA at the time. And that 4.6 that CavaliersFan gave us, was a Chamberlain, in the mid-60's, at somewhere around 290 lbs, and who no longer was in his track prime. I believe Wilt, himself, said he was running 4.4's at his peak. And, there are stories out there in which Wilt was said to have beaten Jim Brown, himself an amazing athlete, in a foot race.

We also have VIDEO FOOTAGE of Chamberlain blocking a shot, in which his fingertips are near the top of the backboard, with a leap in which he has littel time to react, in which he goes straight up, and in which he extends with his off-hand to block the shot. We also have the EYE-WITNESS accounts of at least two that claim they saw Chamberlain touch the top of the backboard.

We also have an SI article, written in 1964, and well before Wilt's peak in terms of size and strength, in which it is mentioned that Wilt was easily benching 400 lbs. Then, at age 59, we have a recorded interview, in which there was an EYE-WITNESS account of Wilt benching 465 lbs, AND, Wilt claiming that he had done more before. And Robert Cherry interviewed a powerful weight-lifter, who himself was supposedly benching 500+ lbs, who claimed that Wilt was the strongest man he ever met.

I could go on, but, only a complete idiot would claim that Wilt was not among the greatest athletes of all-time.

SlayerEnraged
03-02-2012, 01:51 AM
Up until about 1990 all centers from any era mid 50's and on were pretty much a consistent height and weight range - and average. Weight lifting is a trend that did change player weights, but league wide weight increase that resulted from this is not nearly as much as people would think.

Dwight Howard's rookie weight was 240lbs...

Only 5lbs heavier than Bill Russell's playing weight from 1966-on

Tom Boerwinkle was a 265lb rookie and was 275 and 280 in Chamberlains last 2 seasons... how many players weigh 280 today? Dwight does at this time I think, Bynum certainly weighs ~300'ish but c'mon... that's freakin massive, and rarely seen even in today's league. Highest weigh in for Embry I have found is 255 but I suspect he was even heavier. Bellamy and Thurmond both HOF'ers and great athletes, eventually exceeded 250 (That's David Robinsons mid-career playing weight) and both of those guys were only 1" shorter than Robinson and Thurmond most likely had a longer wingspan and reach than Robinson...

The idea that the era was loaded with twerps is a misconception. Unless you also think 1989 was loaded with twerps.

I think and know that all eras were smaller physique as well as height wise than the 2000's. Mid>late 2000's had bigger players than the early 2000's as well.

CavaliersFTW
03-02-2012, 02:09 AM
I think and know that all eras were smaller physique as well as height wise than the 2000's. Mid>late 2000's had bigger players than the early 2000's as well.

How can you know something you never bothered to look up.

Zydrunas, Shaq, Yao - 3 of the tallest from the mid-late '00s
spread thin accross 30 teams that included two 6'7 centers (Ben Wallace, Joel Anthony) - and everything in between.

Those years are not any taller than even the early 1960's, like 1962. I've actually made a complete list of 1962 NBA player heights and compared them with 1989-2012 - there isn't a difference that's + or - 0.5" spanning any year/decade/era, and it dips and crests in that marginal range at random with constant fluctuation there is no steady progress. This is height I'm talking about. Weight is another story, weight did increase into the '00s because of working out your right about that part.

LAClipsFan33
03-02-2012, 02:49 AM

mosesmalone
03-02-2012, 03:35 AM
4. An Elite Athlete.

zizozain
03-02-2012, 06:47 AM

bwink23
03-02-2012, 07:46 AM
Because Competition and who you're going up against makes u look a lot better or worse as far as skills and atheltism goes, depending on your defender. I obviously never watched Wilt live, but I've seen the stats. They get worse vs. better competition in the playoffs and vs better players like Bill Russell.

Competition and stats have ZERO to do with athleticism.....do your research off his track eploits, in-game vertical videos and photos, and off of players and credible sources from his era on Wit's athleticsim....you can't get any kind of picture without visual evidence...ask Cavs to direct to the proper threads for that information and visual proof of Wilt's abilities.

Psileas
03-02-2012, 11:42 AM
For Wilt's case as an athlete, in any "x out of y stars" qualification where y<20, x = y.

(And I may be strict with the value of y).

PTB Fan
03-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Has to be 4.

40 vertical, 7'1, weighted from 240-300 lbs, his standing vertical is second to none, 7'8 wingspan, really quick, explosive and perhaps the strongest NBA player of the court (reported to bench big weights). One of the most physically gifted players ever.. his athleticism is probably second to none.

SpecialQue
03-02-2012, 04:46 PM

RonySeikalyFTL
03-02-2012, 05:01 PM

Which is why I honestly believe that if he was born in 1985 and grew up playing modern day basketball, he would be dominating the league right now. He's an athletic freak who had the drive to rise above his competition when he played, and would do that in any era he lived in.

It's sad to see so many people belittle his accomplishments just because he played 50 years ago and the game has involved since then. That's like comparing Leonardo Da Vinci to modern day scientists and saying he wouldn't be sh*t because he doesn't even know what a computer is. The fact is Wilt dominated then and he'd dominate now.

Deuce Bigalow
03-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Has to be 4.

40 vertical, 7'1, weighted from 240-300 lbs, his standing vertical is second to none, 7'8 wingspan, really quick, explosive and perhaps the strongest NBA player of the court (reported to bench big weights). One of the most physically gifted players ever.. his athleticism is probably second to none.
http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/lol/grand/lol_lol_lol_gif.gif

Inactive
03-02-2012, 06:29 PM
4. He was a 280+ pound 7+ footer, with a ridiculous wingspan, who could play 48 min strait, and block Kareem's skyhook even after he was past his prime. He'd stand out as a freak athlete, in any era.

NumberSix
03-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Where's the option for "greatest athlete the game has ever seen"?

CavaliersFTW
03-02-2012, 06:34 PM
I've underestimated IH...

I fully expected to see more ignorance about Wilt's athleticism. So far so good - this is atypical IH behavior... this is very strange :wtf:

NumberSix
03-02-2012, 06:37 PM
http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/lol/grand/lol_lol_lol_gif.gif
Are you laughing at his assertion of Wilt having a 40 inch vertical because you know that it's actually about 48, or are you just the kind of moron that thinks it's not even 40 based on nothing but your own stupidity?

CavaliersFTW
03-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Where's the option for "greatest athlete the game has ever seen"?

I believe that option would be option 5. (Epic Athlete.) or even option 6. (GOD athlete.)

The Kansas City Chiefs head coach wanted him to become the Chief's receiver.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-tDn7lBlbaC8/T1BIb5WnVRI/AAAAAAAADIM/n46efDf56To/s800/Wilt%2520Chamberlain%2520football.jpg

http://www.kansascitykc.com/chiefs/hank-stram/hank-stram-chiefs.jpg
Hank Stram - Head Coach of the Kansas City Chiefs:
- "I'm certain from what I saw he would be the greatest flanker back in football."
- "With his size, his speed, his range there isn't a defensive back in the world who could even come close to containing him."

Stram was winning championships with his Chiefs at this time, it's 1966... yet he was drooling at the chance to get Wilt on the field with his team because he was "certain" he'd be the best flanker in football!?. Those are strong words from a highly respected championship winning head-coach.

Also note, 4.6 40 yard dash... at 7'1 and 290lbs... barefoot!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/--N316czoobQ/T08L9JkSFrI/AAAAAAAADHk/fTA-ZSaox80/s400/color%2520HD2.jpg
http://thevinylshack.com/images/P/1010.png

:bowdown:

sbw19
03-02-2012, 06:47 PM
A bigger more athletic KG.