PDA

View Full Version : Why is Kobe consider one of the best scorers ever with only 2 scoring titles?

Derivative
03-05-2012, 05:47 AM
Why do people call Kobe one of the best scorers ever when he has only two scoring titles? Furthermore he isn't know for his efficiency on offense.

If your argument is that Kobe has scored 81 points on a last place defense raptors, then should players like Gilbert Arenas who score over 60 points, or David Robinson who scored over 70 points, also be considered one of the best scorers in history? I don't think a one time game should gave someone the reputation for one of the best scorers in history.

If your argument is that Kobe has a high all time scoring record, then players like Karl Malone should be considered to be one of the best scorers ever, which people don't think so.

To consider a player to be a good scorer, there are two factors to consider, points per game and how efficient a player scores. Kobe's career points per game ranks only tenth all time, and his scoring efficiency is average.

So why exactly is Kobe considered one of the best scorers of all time?

Doctor Rivers
03-05-2012, 05:54 AM
Why do people call Kobe one of the best scorers ever when he has only two scoring titles? Furthermore he isn't know for his efficiency on offense.

If your argument is that Kobe has scored 81 points on a last place defense raptors, then should players like Gilbert Arenas who score over 60 points, or David Robinson who scored over 70 points, also be considered one of the best scorers in history? I don't think a one time game should gave someone the reputation for one of the best scorers in history.

If your argument is that Kobe has a high all time scoring record, then players like Karl Malone should be considered to be one of the best scorers ever, which people don't think so.

To consider a player to be a good scorer, there are two factors to consider, points per game and how efficient a player scores. Kobe's career points per game ranks only tenth all time, and his scoring efficiency is average.

troll

SAKOTXA
03-05-2012, 05:59 AM
Not everything can be measured with stats and accolades my friend.
Earlier in his career, Kobe could have won 2-3 more scoring titles if he wasn't playing with a player as dominant as Shaq and was given the green light to do whatever he wanted on the offensive side.
Kobe's skill set is the reason why he's considered one of the greatest scorers of all time. He can play in the post, take you off the dribble(not as much nowadays), score from the triple threat, finish at the rim, amazing footwork, reverse pivot, counter moves, counter to counter moves, , mid range, long range,
ability to get hot at any given moment...you name it. Only One or maybe 2 years in NBA history were able to do things he is cable of doing on offense.

jstern
03-05-2012, 06:02 AM
Because when he gets hot, he's unstoppable. And like you said, top ten all time in ppg. But I understand your point, taking a lot of shots, etc. You probably feel that Kobe shoots too much, or that other players would do just as good if they took as many shots, but they don't, so they can't be consider scorers the way Kobe is.

SyRyanYang
81 pts /thread

madmax
Because his stans like to pretend that he is...a post above being the best example of that

kNIOKAS
03-05-2012, 06:03 AM
Not everything can be measured with stats and accolades my friend.
Earlier in his career, Kobe could have won 2-3 more scoring titles if he wasn't playing with a player as dominant as Shaq and was given the green light to do whatever he wanted on the offensive side.
Kobe's skill set is the reason why he's considered one of the greatest scorers of all time. He can play in the post, take you off the dribble(not as much nowadays), score from the triple threat, finish at the rim, amazing footwork, reverse pivot, counter moves, counter to counter moves, , mid range, long range,
ability to get hot at any given moment...you name it. Only One or maybe 2 years in NBA history were able to do things he is cable of doing on offense.
Basically this. But I like the the type of reasoning from OP also.

bdreason
03-05-2012, 06:03 AM
In 2005 he posted something like 35/5/5 on 45/35/85%. I remember he had some crazy string of 40+ point games that season as well.

CardiacKemba
03-05-2012, 06:05 AM
Has consistently been top 5 scorers (statistically) in league for well over 10 seasons, and has ability to take over the offensive load in close games.

Of course he will be in the conversation as one of the best scorers ever.

P.s. I hate Kobe. But give credit where credit is due.

Vienceslav
03-05-2012, 06:18 AM
#7 all time scoring list and #3 all time playoffs scoring list.:cheers:

jlauber
03-05-2012, 06:30 AM
First of all, there is a big difference between a scorer and a shooter (although some, like McAdoo and Dantley, were excellent at both.)

The scorers, like Iverson and Kobe, would probably get blown away in any kind of pure shooting contest, and in some cases, by bench-warmers.

BUT, those players can get their shots, and against any defender, or defenders, and against any defense. Steve Kerr couldn't shoot unless he was open. Kobe could hit 3's with two guys draped all over him.

And let's get real here. Does anyone believe that team's just let Kobe score? Same with any of the all-time greats. Opposing teams devise all kinds of defensive schemes to stop those players, and they STILL get their points.

I have read some who claim that Pistol Pete was shot-jacking in college, and that is why he was scoring 44 ppg. True, he was, BUT, opposing teams did everything in their power to PREVENT him from scoring, too. And don't you think there were proud players who relished the challenge of containing him?

I have asked this before, but most all of us have played competitive basketball at some point in our lives, whether it be recreational league, high school, college, and perhaps some here even played in the Pros. But ask youself this...how many legitimate 40 point games did you in ANY of those levels?

Then think about Maravich AVERAGING 40 per game in his entire college CAREER. Or Wilt AVERAGING 40 ppg in his first seven seasons in the NBA...COMBINED!

Kobe 4 The Win
03-05-2012, 07:00 AM
#5 all-time

/thread

Mr. Jabbar
03-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Can't believe you need an explanation as to why he is one if not the best scorer ever. Have you seen the friken guy play through his career?

ralph_i_el
03-05-2012, 10:26 AM
I don't even like kobe but he's been scoring big for over a decade now.

No one has moves like kobe

Calabis
03-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Can't believe you need an explanation as to why he is one if not the best scorer ever. Have you seen the friken guy play through his career?

This kinda statement is why guys make this kinda thread......how is he the best scorer ever? When everything is clicking he may be the most dangerous, but can't the same be said for any premier scorer or any good player. Williams just hit 50+ last night when everything is clicking. Shouldn't consistency come into play?

I think Kobe is the best player of his generation, but this best ever crap is getting old

guy
03-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Only George Mikan, Wilt Chamberlain, Bob McAdoo, George Gervin, Michael Jordan, and Allen Iverson have more scoring titles. So yes, he's one of the greatest ever. Its not like there's 20 or 30 players that have had more.

rodman91
03-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Allen Iverson /Thread.

ace23
03-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Only George Mikan, Wilt Chamberlain, Bob McAdoo, George Gervin, Michael Jordan, and Allen Iverson have more scoring titles. So yes, he's one of the greatest ever. Its not like there's 20 or 30 players that have had more.
And he's leading the league in scoring this year. On top of that, he still has another 2 or 3 good years left.

I.R.Beast
03-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Because his stans like to pretend that he is...a post above being the best example of that

i dont see anyone else around the league dropping 81...do you?

Extempo
03-05-2012, 11:22 AM
-Top 5 scoring leader of all-time already, will pass Wilt and Jordan.
-Youngest player to reach 25,000 points.
-81 points in a single game with no overtime, #2 highest scoring individual performance of all time behind Wilt's 100.
-62 points in 3 quarters against the Mavs in 05, outscored the Mavs by himself, the only player to do this in the shot clock era.

-All-time leading scorer in Laker franchise history (among Jerry West, Kareem, Magic, Shaq, Baylor, etc).
-Most 60 point games in Laker franchise history, 2nd most in league history (tying MJ).
-Most 50 point games in Laker franchise history, 3rd most in league history (behind MJ and Wilt).
-Most 40 point games in Laker franchise history.

-Averaged 35 ppg for the entire season in 06, 31 ppg for the entire season in 07, 30 ppg for the entire season in 03.
-Averaged 43 ppg for January in 06, highest single month scoring average in league history after Wilt.
-NINE straight 40+ point games in 03, only player to do it since Wilt.
-FOUR straight 45+ point games in 06, only player to do it since Wilt.
-Scored 65, 50, 60, 50...4 games in a row in 07, only player to do it since Wilt.
-Holds record for most 3-pointers made in a game (13) AND in one half (8).
-61 points against the Knicks in 09...record for MSG.

Do I need to say more? Kobe basically owns all these amazing scoring records. He's has broken and is breaking scoring records left and right. Wilt played in a weak era against weak competition. Kobe has done this in this generation. Kobe can score on anyone when he wants to, he can single-handedly demoralize the opposing team by scoring relentlessly. He is unstoppable. If you don't believe me, let President Obama tell you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXFGkM3T3F8

madmax
03-05-2012, 12:12 PM
i dont see anyone else around the league dropping 81...do you?

if he's such an amazing scorer, then why guys like Lebron and Durant score just as much and do it on much better FG% too? Not to mention both of these guys have higher career PPG average too...and no, I don't care if he wasn't good enough to start in his teen days - that just only means that he is not talented enough and his game is laboured if anything.

Pointguard
03-05-2012, 12:22 PM
-81 points in a single game with no overtime, #2 highest scoring individual performance of all time behind Wilt's 100.
-62 points in 3 quarters against the Mavs in 05, outscored the Mavs by himself, the only player to do this in the shot clock era.

-All-time leading scorer in Laker franchise history (among Jerry West, Kareem, Magic, Shaq, Baylor, etc).
-Most 60 point games in Laker franchise history, 2nd most in league history (tying MJ).
-Most 50 point games in Laker franchise history, 3rd most in league history (behind MJ and Wilt).

-Averaged 35 ppg for the entire season in 06, 31 ppg for the entire season in 07, 30 ppg for the entire season in 03.
-Averaged 43 ppg for January in 06, highest single month scoring average in league history after Wilt.
-Scored 65, 50, 60, 50...4 games in a row in 07, only player to do it since Wilt.

Do I need to say more? Kobe basically owns all these amazing scoring records. He's has broken and is breaking scoring records left and right. Wilt played in a weak era against weak competition. Kobe has done this in this generation. Kobe can score on anyone when he wants to, he can single-handedly demoralize the opposing team by scoring relentlessly. He is unstoppable. If you don't believe me, let President Obama tell you...

Good Post! :cheers:

LeFraud James
03-05-2012, 12:22 PM
This kinda statement is why guys make this kinda thread......how is he the best scorer ever? When everything is clicking he may be the most dangerous, but can't the same be said for any premier scorer or any good player. Williams just hit 50+ last night when everything is clicking. Shouldn't consistency come into play?

I think Kobe is the best player of his generation, but this best ever crap is getting old

Learn how to read dimwit. He said one of the best if not the best, meaning it's definitely arguable.

You really want to mention consistency? Who else has been scoring at the amazing level Kobe has for ~15 years? You could say he shot-jacked all you want, but you can't discredit his individual nor his team success. The proof is in the pudding, and if you don't consider Kobe one of the Top 3 scorers in the history of the game you're just a hater, plain and simple.

Pointguard
03-05-2012, 01:01 PM
if he's such an amazing scorer, then why guys like Lebron and Durant score just as much and do it on much better FG% too? Not to mention both of these guys have higher career PPG average too...and no, I don't care if he wasn't good enough to start in his teen days - that just only means that he is not talented enough and his game is laboured if anything.

Durant looks like he will go down as an all time great scorer (in the elite company of Wilt/Jordan) - to me he's like a prolific scoring Dirk. What's wild is that people don't really look at Lebron as a scorer, but he could have had two of Durant's scoring titles and is the youngest guy to all of the scoring milestones to 15,000 points. I don't know if Lebron's all around game has affected his image as a scorer but if he focused on scoring he would be in Jordan's company for sure. Lebron already is elite as a greatest scorer with an inclination to pass.

Kobe is considered great because of how he scored and how he could pour it on. No shot seems to hard for him to make. When Kobe is hot he's is the game's best scorer - probably ever. So he has a claim there that is big time. He also scored at a prolific rate for a good many years. All parts of the floor are covered and he's come thru in all circumstances. He's been a great scorer in all parts of the season and game. So he belongs there.

Rooster
03-05-2012, 01:11 PM

Lebron is afraid of taking tough shots. He does not have the heart to take it. You could tell when he took the easier path. Just like KG, he wanted a closer on his team because he is just not that guy. Kobe takes a lot of tough shots, bad shots if does not go in and bail out shots. And he does not give a crap about his FG %. He is not scared. And that is why he got 5 rings because he does not give a freaking crap about people like you. He shot airballs before and 16 years later he still taking hail Mary shots. If he is worried about whether it's going in or not, he would have pass those shots. But like I said, he don't give a sh1t. His rings itself justified the means.

delmar
03-05-2012, 01:30 PM

]
+ 28936 pts :basketball

KingLeBronJames
03-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Top 3 scorers in NBA history. Michael Jordan, Wilt Chamberlain and Kobe Bryant.

bwink23
03-05-2012, 03:38 PM

1. Lebron James will beat that easily.
2. Karl Malone had 61 in 3 quarters in the 1980's.
3. Wilt has more 60-point games than anyone.
4. Jordan had 9 straight 40's in 1987.
5. He made 12's in a game, not 13....SHARED with Donyell Marshall.
6. 4 straight 50's against the WORST DEFENSES in the league.
7. Kobe holds NONE of what you mentioned as records.
:rolleyes:

chazzy
03-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Does that not make him one of the best scorers ever?

bwink23
03-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Kobe has NO 50-point games against a top 5 ranked defense that didn't go into overtime.

He's only done that 2 times....Both times against the Houston Rockets in same season. One game went into overtime....the other went into double overtime...he didn't even shoot 50% from the field....

Just a little perspective for the Kobe scrotum ticklers around here.

bwink23
03-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Does that not make him one of the best scorers ever?

I personally think Kobe is a top 5 scorer of all time...but that's no excuse for posting false information.

Rake2204
03-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Not to derail the thread, but Donyell Marshall dropping 12 triples off the bench is one of the most underrated performances I've come across in recent memory. Pretty awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRkXajkibRI

Sarcastic
03-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Kareem Abdul Jabbar also only has 2 scoring titles, but is considered one of the best scoreres ever.

chazzy
03-05-2012, 03:48 PM
I personally think Kobe is a top 5 scorer of all time...but that's no excuse for posting false information.
Outside of the Jordan 40pt streak and the number of 3s he made, they were true.. the things you said were just your attempts to discredit them as usual

bwink23
03-05-2012, 03:49 PM
This is my top 5 all-time scoring list, no order.

1. Wilt
2. Jordan
3. Kareem
4. Gervin
5. Kobe

This isn't solely based on numbers, but on ability as well.

Deuce Bigalow
03-05-2012, 03:51 PM
28,936 Regular Season Points - 5th Alltime
5,280 Playoff Points - 3rd Alltime
81 30 Pt Playoff games - 2nd Alltime
5 60 Pt games - Tied 2nd Alltime
24 50 Pt games - 3rd Alltime
111 40 Pt games - 3rd Alltime
35.4 PPG season - 5th Player in NBA History with 35 PPG season
Only player in NBA History with 3 consecutive 600 Postseason Points
One of 5 players to average 30 playoff PPG on a Championship team

bwink23
03-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Outside of the Jordan 40pt streak and the number of 3s he made, they were true.. the things you said were just your attempts to discredit them as usual

You fools always confuse discredit with perspective....all i do is bring a new shine to the statements....it's one thing to say "62 in 3 quarters, outscoring Mavs by himself...."

Sounds incredible doesn't it?? It is....but that's merely cuz the Mavs weren't putting points on the board..

It doesn't sound AS incredible if Karl Malone does it....or when Goerge Gervin had 63 in 3 quarters, now does it???

Or when Jordan had 54 in 3 quarters against against the Cavs...and another 54 in 3 quarters against Miami in the playoffs...

Like i said, he's top 5 scorer all-time in my book...but let's not pretend what he's done is singular only to him.

TheBluest
03-05-2012, 03:55 PM
You did say "one of the best" in the OP right?

So that means he could be anywhere from 1 to how ever many players have played this game right?

So what's your beef?

bwink23
03-05-2012, 03:55 PM
28,936 Regular Season Points - 5th Alltime
5,280 Playoff Points - 3rd Alltime
81 30 Pt Playoff games - 2nd Alltime
5 60 Pt games - Tied 2nd Alltime
24 50 Pt games - 3rd Alltime
111 40 Pt games - 3rd Alltime
35.4 PPG season - 5th Player in NBA History with 35 PPG season
Only player in NBA History with 3 consecutive 600 Postseason Points

With the advantage of more playoffs games played, changing first round from 5 to 7 games....:facepalm

These numbers are a testiment to Kobe's sustained excellence in scoring.

dunksby
03-05-2012, 03:56 PM
I have decided to not contribute to threads who bear a grammatical error in their titles.

Extempo
03-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Hi retard.

1. READ. Learn to read. I said Kobe is the youngest player right now to hold that record. I am stating the FACTS here. No one cares about predicting the future. Kevin Durant will break all of Lebron's records easily. Rose will win more championships than Lebron easily. See, it's easy to make predictions.

2. Kobe had 62 points, as in he holds the record for the MOST points in the shot clock era...newsflash, 62 points is MORE than 61 points...a 3 year old knows that but you seem mentally challenged so I will spell it out for you.

3. Again, I wrote "second most in league history"...obviously after Wilt...do you not understand English or something?

4. And Kobe had 9 straight 40+ point games in 2003. What's your point?

5. Kobe has hit the most 3 pointers in a single game...yeah he's tied with someone else...but when they mention who holds the record, they mention him. Get it or too dumb again?

6. Wilt played in a weak era against far weaker competition. You want to dismiss Kobe's big games against bad teams but accept Wilts? Pick a side and stick to it dimwit. If it was that easy to have big scoring games against bad teams, everyone would be able to do it.

7. Everything you wrote was embarrassingly stupid. Like, not even one thing you wrote was true. Whereas I stated FACTS. Please get help. And talk to me again when you grow a brain.

Deuce Bigalow
03-05-2012, 03:59 PM
With the advantage of more playoffs games played, changing first round from 5 to 7 games....:facepalm

These numbers are a testiment to Kobe's sustained excellence in scoring.
2008 1st Round: Lakers swept Nuggets 4-0 (4 games)
2009 1st Round: Lakers beat Jazz 4-1 (5 games)
2010 1st Round: Lakers beat Thunder 4-2 (6 games)

Only played 1 game extra in '10. the rest 5 or under

Nice try

bwink23
03-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Hi retard.

1. READ. Learn to read. I said Kobe is the youngest player right now to hold that record. I am stating the FACTS here. No one cares about predicting the future. Kevin Durant will break all of Lebron's records easily. Rose will win more championships than Lebron easily. See, it's easy to make predictions.

2. Kobe had 62 points, as in he holds the record for the MOST points in the shot clock era...newsflash, 62 points is MORE than 61 points...a 3 year old knows that but you seem mentally challenged so I will spell it out for you.

3. Again, I wrote "second most in league history"...obviously after Wilt...do you not understand English or something?

4. And Kobe had 9 straight 40+ point games in 2003. What's your point?

5. Kobe has hit the most 3 pointers in a single game...yeah he's tied with someone else...but when they mention who holds the record, they mention him. Get it or too dumb again?

6. Wilt played in a weak era against far weaker competition. You want to dismiss Kobe's big games against bad teams but accept Wilts? Pick a side and stick to it dimwit. If it was that easy to have big scoring games against bad teams, everyone would be able to do it.

7. Everything you wrote was embarrassingly stupid. Like, not even one thing you wrote was true. Whereas I stated FACTS. Please get help. And talk to me again when you grow a brain.

RETARD is one who can't post facts RIGHT....:rolleyes:

62>61.....BIG DEAL, but as a kobe dick sucker, i guess you'll hold on to 1 stupid point with both hands.

Goerge Gervin 63>62........:rolleyes:

13, is NOT 12.....:rolleyes:

You said Kobe was the only player since Wilt to have 9 straight 40's...uh, Jordan in 1987....again, you a MORON....:hammerhead:

There is nothing more "embarassingly stupid" than flubbing up the facts countless times as you did....

YOU = WEAK SAUCE.

bwink23
03-05-2012, 04:07 PM
2008 1st Round: Lakers swept Nuggets 4-0 (4 games)
2009 1st Round: Lakers beat Jazz 4-1 (5 games)
2010 1st Round: Lakers beat Thunder 4-2 (6 games)

Only played 1 game extra in '10. the rest 5 or under

Nice try

Post how many games he played in to get those 600 points...

NICE TRY

Extempo
03-05-2012, 04:09 PM
How sad is it when a troll tries to deny FACTS? Really sad. I feel sorry for them. Blah...makes the whole thing boring because they are so f*cking stupid, you feel bad for even correcting them.

bwink23
03-05-2012, 04:11 PM
How sad is it when a troll tries to deny FACTS? Really sad. I feel sorry for them. Blah...makes the whole thing boring because they are so f*cking stupid, you feel bad for even correcting them.

The only person who did the correcting around here was ME...:pimp:

rodman91
03-05-2012, 04:15 PM
Funny thing is Karl Malone is considered as one of the greatest scorers. Played till 40 retired as 2nd all time scoring leader and 25 ppg career average.

He had many seasons between 27-29 ppg.. Career peak : 31 ppg

Extempo
03-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Funny thing is Karl Malone is considered as one of the greatest scorers. Played till 40 retired as 2nd all time scoring leader and 25 ppg career average.

He had many seasons between 27-29 ppg.. Career peak : 31 ppg
Longevity matters...he is definitely one of the greatest scorers of all time...you don't get to #2 by accident. He and Kareem are just amazing. Kobe has no shot of catching him...but will definitely surpass Wilt and MJ by the end of his career to be #3. He just has to average around 18 ppg the next 2 seasons (when his contract ends) to pass MJ's total. He's at 29 ppg right now...so clearly he ain't slowing down :oldlol:

Eat Like A Bosh
03-05-2012, 04:29 PM
How about you stop asking yourself hypothetical questions and face the facts?
Kobe's an all time great and one of the top scorers in the league.

TheCorporation
03-05-2012, 04:42 PM
For the last 7 years, the only 2 players that have been in the top 5 ppg in the league ever single year are Kobe Bryant and LeBron James.

The difference is James has a much higher FG%

In fact, Kobe has never had a single season where he shot 47% or above. Not one. I heard about that and was amazed. Kobe scores a lot, but he shoots a lot too.

ILLsmak
03-05-2012, 04:44 PM
I don't even like kobe but he's been scoring big for over a decade now.

No one has moves like kobe

Yeah he has a lot of moves. It's like he randomly selects which one he is going to do each possession just to see if he can, and one of the 50 variables is pass.

-Smak

TheCorporation
03-05-2012, 04:52 PM
How about you stop asking yourself hypothetical questions and face the facts?
Kobe's an all time great and one of the top scorers in the league.

Yeah! Forget questioning the facts and statistics!!! That's just focus on opinions!!!

KBryant24
03-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Watch Him close out the Miami game
/thread

BlackVVaves
03-05-2012, 05:25 PM
First of all, there is a big difference between a scorer and a shooter (although some, like McAdoo and Dantley, were excellent at both.)

The scorers, like Iverson and Kobe, would probably get blown away in any kind of pure shooting contest, and in some cases, by bench-warmers.

BUT, those players can get their shots, and against any defender, or defenders, and against any defense. Steve Kerr couldn't shoot unless he was open. Kobe could hit 3's with two guys draped all over him.

And let's get real here. Does anyone believe that team's just let Kobe score? Same with any of the all-time greats. Opposing teams devise all kinds of defensive schemes to stop those players, and they STILL get their points.

I have read some who claim that Pistol Pete was shot-jacking in college, and that is why he was scoring 44 ppg. True, he was, BUT, opposing teams did everything in their power to PREVENT him from scoring, too. And don't you think there were proud players who relished the challenge of containing him?

I have asked this before, but most all of us have played competitive basketball at some point in our lives, whether it be recreational league, high school, college, and perhaps some here even played in the Pros. But ask youself this...how many legitimate 40 point games did you in ANY of those levels?

Then think about Maravich AVERAGING 40 per game in his entire college CAREER. Or Wilt AVERAGING 40 ppg in his first seven seasons in the NBA...COMBINED!

THIS, THIS, THIS.

Pointguard
03-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Yeah he has a lot of moves. It's like he randomly selects which one he is going to do each possession just to see if he can, and one of the 50 variables is pass.
-Smak
I wonder if Kobe knows what he's going to do. I think he improvises, tho. I do think he knows where he wants to shoot it from but that's the only thing he knows when he puts the ball down.

Droid101
03-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Longevity matters...he is definitely one of the greatest scorers of all time...you don't get to #2 by accident. He and Kareem are just amazing. Kobe has no shot of catching him...but will definitely surpass Wilt and MJ by the end of his career to be #3. He just has to average around 18 ppg the next 2 seasons (when his contract ends) to pass MJ's total. He's at 29 ppg right now...so clearly he ain't slowing down :oldlol:
Not to mention Kobe is the only one of those players who had to deal with TWO lockout seasons, cutting down his available games to rack up points.

bwink23
03-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Not to mention Kobe is the only one of those players who had to deal with TWO lockout seasons, cutting down his available games to rack up points.

And Kobe is the only one to come in the league 3 and 4 years ahead of everyone else to rack up points.....:facepalm

bwink23
03-05-2012, 06:14 PM

2 lockout seasons = 48 missed games. Jordan missed 64 in one year with his freak foot break....:rolleyes:

SwooshReturns
03-05-2012, 06:17 PM
2 lockout seasons = 48 missed games. Jordan missed 64 in one year with his freak foot break....:rolleyes:
Not to mention 2 years of his absolute PEAK ('94, '95)

28 - 32

And then in his 2nd season when he came back from injury, Bulls managment were so frightened, they really limited his minutes.

LMAO @ you considering Wilt a better scorer.

The best scorer dominates in the post season when competition is at its highest.

Wilt in those early years literally got 15 - 20 points a night with offensive goal tending.

Stats from before 1980 should ever be compared with modern NBA ('80 - Now)

The game was still in its proving grounds, and wasn't finalized yet as an athletic competition.

Great for what they were, hardly comprable to post 1980 NBA.

bwink23
03-05-2012, 06:26 PM

28 - 32

And then in his 2nd season when he came back from injury, Bulls managment were so frightened, they really limited his minutes.

The best scorer dominates in the post season when competition is at its highest.

Wilt in those early years literally got 15 - 20 points a night with offensive goal tending.

The game was still in its proving grounds, and wasn't finalized yet as an athletic competition.

I stated my top 5 was in no particular order.

SwooshReturns
03-05-2012, 06:28 PM
I stated my top 5 was in no particular order.
And you should get slapped for it. I would put Kobe over Wilt Chamberlain in terms of scoring.

Round Mound
03-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Funny how Kobe is considered one of the greatest scorers yet his FG% is hardly 44-45% while there have been plenty of over 20 PPG scores who had a Higher and Much Higher FG% and Per Shot Taken aswell.

In the Play-Offs? Would like to know how many 50 point games he has had with High FG%?

Better Scorers than Kobe

Michael Jordan
Wilt Chamberlain
Kareem Abdul Jabbar
Jerry West
Karl Malone
George Gervin
Charles Barkley
Shaquille ONiel

Hakeem Olajuwon
Elgin Baylor
Bob McAdoo

Just to name a few

bleedinpurpleTwo
03-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Funny how Kobe is considered one of the greatest scorers yet his FG% is hardly 44-45% while there have been plenty of over 20 PPG scores who had a Higher and Much Higher FG% and Per Shot Taken aswell.

In the Play-Offs? Would like to know how many 50 point games he has had with High FG%?

Better Scorers than Kobe

Michael Jordan
Wilt Chamberlain
Kareem Abdul Jabbar
Jerry West
Karl Malone
George Gervin
Charles Barkley
Shaquille ONiel

Hakeem Olajuwon
Elgin Baylor
Bob McAdoo

Just to name a few

Only 3 of those are guards.

Legends66NBA7
03-05-2012, 06:49 PM

I already know that answer and it's 1. He scored 50 points in OT on 57.1%fg, overall game (20-35), 2's (15-27) 55.6%, 3's (5-8) 62.5%, ft (5-6) 83.3% .

He's 1 of 20 players to score 50 points in the playoffs. Only 5 of those 20 players have shot below 50% in those playoff games and Kobe is not one of them.

Round Mound
03-05-2012, 06:55 PM
Only 3 of those are guards.

But he aint in the Top 10 as GOAT Scorers. Kobe is a Top 12-15 GOAT Scorer and as a Total GOAT Player there have been more Efficient and Dominant so Kobe is around the Top 20-25 GOAT Players

I like Kobe`s Skill Set but he Over Shoots and Takes Bad Shot Selections compared to other Superstars.

Round Mound
03-05-2012, 07:01 PM
I already know that answer and it's 1. He scored 50 points in OT on 57.1%fg, overall game (20-35), 2's (15-27) 55.6%, 3's (5-8) 62.5%, ft (5-6) 83.3% .

He's 1 of 20 players to score 50 points in the playoffs. Only 5 of those 20 players have shot below 50% in those playoff games and Kobe is not one of them.

Thats good but i can sound like u guys (kobe hommers) and be a a Troll

"Barkley scored 56 Points in the Play-Offs going for 27 PTs in the 1st Quarter and 11-11 FG/FGAs in the 1srt Quarter. A Total of 56 Points, No Overrtime on 31 FGAs Total and a Scoring Efficiency of 74.2% FG

And That...Is NOT why Barkley was a Better Scorer than Kobe BUT...it was his Dominant 2-Point FG% on over 22 PPG taking less than 15 FGAs PG

Round Mound
03-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Oh and I Forgot to mention some other Great Scorers

Adrian Dantley
Bernard King
Nique Wilkins

Etc...

Pointguard
03-05-2012, 07:07 PM

Have you read up on Wilt? He's had postseason runs that Kobe couldn't match scoring wise - he's had four years better than Kobe's best. Wilt has dominated in postseason play. Scoring/rebounding/assist/blocks/FG%/ you name it. When Wilt was scoring nobody was scoring more than him in the playoffs either, and Wilt was more efficient than the rest as well. Kobe has at least four contemporaries that were better scorers than him in the playoffs.

Wilt stood out in his generation - had separation unlike any player ever. Kobe is a great scorer but there are at least two contemporaries that are better (in post season and regular season). Wilt has over 100 records today, some 50ish year later that are still alive. I doubt Kobe will have one.

Legends66NBA7
03-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Thats good but i can sound like u guys (kobe hommers) and be a a Troll

"Barkley scored 56 Points in the Play-Offs going for 27 PTs in the 1st Quarter and 11-11 FG/FGAs in the 1srt Quarter. A Total of 56 Points, No Overrtime on 31 FGAs Total and a Scoring Efficiency of74.2% FG

And That...Is NOT why Barkley was a Better Scorer than Kobe but it was his Dominant 2-Point FG% on over 22 PPG taken less than 15 FGAs PG

First off, I'm not a Kobe homer or troll, I just responded to your question:

And I answered it for you. I wasn't really answering who's a greater scorer between the two, but it was a highly efficient game by Kobe.

And yeah, Barkley had the highest efficiency of those 20 players who did score 50+.

TheMarkMadsen
03-05-2012, 07:17 PM
But he aint in the Top 10 as GOAT Scorers. Kobe is a Top 12-15 GOAT Scorer and as a Total GOAT Player there have been more Efficient and Dominant so Kobe is around the Top 20-25 GOAT Players

I like Kobe`s Skill Set but he Over Shoots and Takes Bad Shot Selections compared to other Superstars.

So you have Kobe anywhere from 20-25 on your all time list? :lol

PLEASE i'd love to see you're top 25 all times list.

Let me guess you have Chuck over Kobe? :facepalm

Round Mound
03-05-2012, 09:32 PM
So you have Kobe anywhere from 20-25 on your all time list? :lol

PLEASE i'd love to see you're top 25 all times list.

Let me guess you have Chuck over Kobe? :facepalm

I have him in my Top 20 but he is probably more like Top 25.

Charles was Better despite the fact he did not win a ring. I rank players based on Impact during Peek and Prime and ofcourse Efficiency

1-MJ
2-Wilt
3-Kareem
4-Shaq
5-Hakeem
6-Robertson
7-Bird
8-Magic
9-Duncan
10-Barkley
11-Moses
12-Baylor
13-Dr J
14-Malone
15-Garnett
16-West
17-Dirk
18-Robinson
19-Wade
20-Kobe
21-Pettit
22-Hayes
23-Ewing
24-Stockton
25-Pippen

Deuce Bigalow
03-05-2012, 09:36 PM
RoundMound I forgot, can you remind me where Charles Barkley ranked Kobe Alltime?

AirTupac
03-05-2012, 09:38 PM
RoundMound was fvcked in the head when he was a kid :oldlol:

rodman91
03-05-2012, 09:40 PM
I have him in my Top 20 but he is probably more like Top 25.

Charles was Better despite the fact he did not win a ring. I rank players based on Impact during Peek and Prime and ofcourse Efficiency

1-MJ
2-Wilt
3-Kareem
4-Shaq
5-Hakeem
6-Robertson
7-Bird
8-Magic
9-Duncan
10-Barkley
11-Moses
12-Baylor
13-Dr J
14-Malone
15-Garnett
16-West
17-Dirk
18-Robinson
19-Wade
20-Kobe
21-Pettit
22-Hayes
23-Ewing
24-Stockton
25-Pippen

Where is Bill Russell?

The Iron Fist
03-05-2012, 10:19 PM

How many times has Kobe hit 50 compared to Willy?

Round Mound
03-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Where is Bill Russell?

I choose players that have Great Offense which is much harder to find than Defense. Total Game maybe Top 20 at some point but no way is he better than Bryant who is a Very Good Scorer (Not Great) and Solid Defender

Dictator
03-05-2012, 10:45 PM
35 ppg....gtfo. But seriously have you ever watched a laker game? When Kobe gets hot he can knock down fadeaway tre's over a triple team........

And shotjacking isn't the case because then every player would do it......

k0kakw0rld
03-05-2012, 10:58 PM
#5 all-time

/thread
this.

I'm not a fan of Kobe but hey #5 all time, 4000 points behind MJ. I think he can pass MJ if he stays healthy. He technically have at least another 4 years left before he retires.

jlauber
03-05-2012, 11:46 PM

28 - 32

Complete LIE!

http://www.rauzulusstreet.com/basketball/nba/nbahistory.htm

1958 Offensive goaltending is banned. 1-and-1 goes into effect on the seventh foul of the half. Uniform numbers “1”, “2” and any digit greater than “5 “ are banned.

As for the rest of your nonsense...Wilt had TWO STRAIGHT SEASONS, covering 10 H2H games in each (20 TOTAL), of AVERAGING 43.7 ppg and 52.7 ppg against 6-11 HOF center Walt Bellamy (who would be listed at over 7-0 in TODAY's NBA.)

Chamberlain had TWO STRAIGHT SEASONS, covering 19 straight games, against 6-10 WORLD-CLASS athlete, and regarded as the greatest defensive center (and PLAYER) in NBA HISTORY, Bill Russell, of 39.7 ppg and 38.1 ppg.

Chamberlain also had an entire SEASON, covering NINE H2H games, against HOFcenter, Willis Reed, in which he averaged 40.1 ppg.

I could go on and on.

Kareem faced quite a few of the same centers that a PRIME Wilt just demolished, and never came CLOSE to the domination that Wilt crushed them with.

BTW, look up a PRIME Kareem's numbers, in the 70's, in his career H2H's with an OLD Wilt and Nate Thurmond...and then compare them with what a 38 and 39 year old Kareem POUNDED Hakeem and Ewing with in the mid-80's.

jlauber
03-05-2012, 11:59 PM
And you should get slapped for it. I would put Kobe over Wilt Chamberlain in terms of scoring.

When Kobe approaches the 100+ NBA RECORDS that Wilt STILL holds, including the BULK of SCORING and EFFICENCY RECORDS, get back to me.

Wilt played in the NBA in 14 seasons, and was STILL setting RECORDS in his LAST season (.727 FG% for one.) And he set his records playing 9-10+ games per year against a TON of HOF centers. He faced guys like Lovellette, Embry, Reed, Bellamy, Cowens, Unseld, McAdoo, Lanier, Hayes, Thurmond, Russell, and even Kareem. ALL in the HOF!

BTW, had Wilt jumped to the NBA right out of High School (and he was basically drafted while IN high school BTW), you could easily add another 8,000-10,000 more points on to his career totals.

eliteballer
03-06-2012, 12:00 AM
Kobes been the best scorer in the league since 2000, he's just mostly played on teams with balanced scoring.

Deltron3030
03-06-2012, 12:04 AM
Youngsters think flash = greatness and the best scorer ever. The NBA has been throwing flashiness at the average fan for years and the average fan accepts it. Kobe is the greatest chucker in the nba, that's about it.

jlauber
03-06-2012, 12:04 AM
Have you read up on Wilt? He's had postseason runs that Kobe couldn't match scoring wise - he's had four years better than Kobe's best. Wilt has dominated in postseason play. Scoring/rebounding/assist/blocks/FG%/ you name it. When Wilt was scoring nobody was scoring more than him in the playoffs either, and Wilt was more efficient than the rest as well. Kobe has at least four contemporaries that were better scorers than him in the playoffs.

Wilt stood out in his generation - had separation unlike any player ever. Kobe is a great scorer but there are at least two contemporaries that are better (in post season and regular season). Wilt has over 100 records today, some 50ish year later that are still alive. I doubt Kobe will have one.

:cheers:

:applause: :applause: :applause:

jlauber
03-06-2012, 12:22 AM
BTW, I am a HUGE fan of Kobe...BUT, it is completely ridiculous to claim that he was a better scorer than Chamberlain.

Wilt won scoring titles by margins of +10.8 ppg and even +18.8 ppg.

Some posters here point out Kobe's nine game streak of 40+ points (averaging 44 ppg in that one streak.) Chamberlain had TWO separate 14 games streaks of 40+, and he averaged 53 ppg and 54 ppg in each!

Kobe has FIVE career 60+ point games. Wilt has 32.

BTW, Wilt also has SIX 70+ point games, and his 100 point game is nearly 20% higher than Kobe's 81 point game.

Kobe has ONE 50 point game in his post-season career. Wilt had FOUR, including THREE in an "elimination game."

Wilt won SEVEN straight scoring titles, and, virtually anyone who followed the NBA back then would attest that a PRIME Wilt could have won TEN. In fact, in his 11th season *at age 33 BTW), he began the season averaging 32.2 ppg (on 60% shooting from the field) in his first nine games, before blowing out his knee.

Chamberlain had TWO 60+ point games in his 10th NBA season, and at age 32.

Give me a list of all of the 40 point 30 rebound games that Kobe has had in his career. Wilt not only had 271 40+ point games in his career, he had 55 of the entire NBA TOTAL of 61. Oh, and Wilt had EIGHT 40-40 games. AND, FOUR 50-40 games.

How many FG% titles has Kobe won? Wilt won NINE. Including seasons of .683 and .727, which are the two highest of all-time (and in his .683 season, he averaged 24.1 ppg...as well as 24.2 rpg, and 7.8 apg.)

In one of Wilt's 60+ point games, he scored 66 points on 29-35 shooting from the field, which is the highest FG% efficiency in a 60+ point game in NBA history. BTW, he also had a 68 point game, with 37 rebounds, on 30-40 shooting.

Chamberlain had a string of 126 straight games, including ALL 80 of the 61-62 season, in which he scored a MINIMUM of 25+ points. And, a streak of 65 with a MINIMUM of 30+ point games. And how about this five game streak... 351 points in five straight games...or 70.1 ppg!

How many rebounding titles did Kobe win? Chamberlain not only won 11, he was the games's greatest rebounder...PERIOD. No other center (or forward as in Rodman) ever dominated his peers, including the post-season to the extent that Wilt did.

Assist titles? Wilt even won one of those, as well as coming in third in another.

Triple Doubles? Wilt had 78 (and that didn't include blocked shots, or it would surely have been much more, as well as he would have recorded MANY QUAD-DOUBLES.)

And how about this triple double... 53 points, on 24-29 shooting from the field, and with 32 rebounds, and 14 assists (and 7 blocks.)

Or in Wilt's very FIRST game... a 43 point, 17-27 shooting, 28 rebound, 17 blocks game.

Or Wilt with TWO DOUBLE-TRIPLE-DOUBLE games (one game in which he scored 22 points, with 25 rebounds, and 21 assists...and the other, a 34 point, 33 rebound, 20 block game.)

Or Wilt having either the top-3, or even the top-4 "perfect games from the field"... games of 15-15, 16-16, and 18-18 (and a possibility of another 18-18 game), as well as making 35 straight FGAs.

I could list page-after-page of Wilt's accomplishments, but no need.

thelucifer69
03-06-2012, 01:20 AM
Kobes been the best scorer in the league since 2000, he's just mostly played on teams with balanced scoring.

Finally somebody admit Kobe has good teammate. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Big#50
03-06-2012, 02:39 AM
How many players have two scoring titles? Kobe gets hot like no other.

TheBigVeto
03-06-2012, 02:42 AM

Because he has many idiotic stans who keep repeating it, hoping that if they repeat it enough times, it will come true. :bowdown:

Derivative
03-06-2012, 02:42 AM
How many players have two scoring titles? Kobe gets hot like no other.

Iverson, O'Neal, McGrady all have 2 scoring titles each.

So what if Kobe gets hot? It doesn't actually lead him to score more per game. Games where he's hot is offset by the games where he's cold.

Deuce Bigalow
03-06-2012, 02:50 AM
Scoring titles are misleading

Iverson won a scoring title averaging 26.8 PPG in '99
Shaq won a scoring title averaging 29.7 PPG in '00
T-Mac won a scoring title averaging 28.0 PPG in '04
Durant won a scoring title averaging 27.7 in '11

Kobe averaged 30.0 PPG in '03 but did not get the scoring title

No Name
03-06-2012, 03:00 AM
between durant's 2 scoring titles he averaged 28.9 ppg

between kobe's he averaged 33.5 ppg

Nevaeh
03-06-2012, 03:01 AM

Well, who won it, and what did they average?

Pointguard
03-06-2012, 03:15 AM

Yeah, things fluctuate. Some years the refs call things tighter. But the better scorers are usually at the top.

PP34Deuce
03-06-2012, 03:37 AM
Kobe from 22-27 could drop 45 points in his sleep. I remember when he scored 62 in 3 quarters against dallas, the 8 straight 40 plus games, didn't he also have 2-3 straight games of 50 plus points. 81 point game....which was surreal when ESPN showed live he was at like 70 points..

The guy was draining fadeaways on MJ in 98... lol

Deuce Bigalow
03-06-2012, 03:43 AM
Well, who won it, and what did they average?
T-Mac 32.1

OldSchoolBBall
03-06-2012, 04:38 AM

Kobe was not a better scorer than Shaq from '00-'02, and arguably not better than Tmac in '02 and '03.

eliteballer
03-06-2012, 05:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ0RFja2znY&t=3m22s

Who knows more, MJ's old coach or you?

OldSchoolBBall
03-06-2012, 05:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ0RFja2znY&t=3m22s

Who knows more, MJ's old coach or you?

I could give a shit less what anyone says. Anyone would rather have a guy averaging 28-30 ppg on 57-58% FG and drawing tons of fouls than a guy averaging 26-31 ppg on 43-46% FG (what Kobe would have averaged from '00-'02 on his own team) and drawing fewer fouls.

monkeypox
03-06-2012, 07:55 AM
You bury your head in a box score long enough you can see what you want to see.

catquickspider
03-06-2012, 09:59 AM
he has been on contenders for most of his career

I don't think winning scoring titles has been his focus even though he ballhogs a lot

PTB Fan
03-06-2012, 12:04 PM
OP is a hater.

Derivative
09-29-2013, 09:40 AM
bump

NumberSix
09-29-2013, 10:46 AM
Because when he gets hot, he's unstoppable.
The problem is, Kobe's version "getting hot" consists of scoring 40 points on mediocre FG% and 18 FTA (half of which are phantom calls)