PDA

View Full Version : Steph Curry vs Kyrie Irving

scm5
03-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Ignoring Steph Curry's ankle issues...

Who is the better player?

Their rookie seasons, they put up very similar stats.

Curry: 17.5ppg @ 46% shooting and 44% from 3, 4.5 RPG, 5.9APG, 1.9 SPG, 3.1 TO/gm.

Takes about 5 3's per game. 89% FT%. 57% TS%.

Irving: 18.6 PPG @ 48% FG% and 42% from 3, 3.4 RPG, 5.1 APG, .8 SPG, 3.0 TO/gm.

Takes about 3 3's per game. 86% FT%. 58% TS%.

I think Curry is the better player even though he has a much lower rookie season PER. This comes from more minutes played and a much lower usage%.

His stats are better across the board EXCEPT for FG% which is partially a result of taking more 3's per game. His SPG was also much higher than Kyrie's and his defense is solid. In fact, Curry is one of the best players to defend Rose.

I realize I might get arguments against Curry for putting up these stats, but the stats are pretty telling of Curry's basketball IQ. He's nowhere near the level of athlete Rose/Irving are.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=curryst01&p2=rosede01

Small sample size, but in those 5 games, Curry did an amazing job on Rose and I have yet to find a PG that has done the same to Rose.

I am biased because I love Curry's game and his shooting form, but this is one of the reasons why I don't think PER is a good stat. Curry in his rookie season was on the floor for longer than Irving, but his usage was lower, so he produced less for the minutes he was on the floor.

I realize Kyrie is only 19 (he's just about 20), and Curry was 21 in his rookie season. I am sure Kyrie with his shooting ability and speed will be a hell of a player. I just love Curry's game because while he's not the most athletic player in the league, he gets it done.

Bigsmoke
03-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Kyrie Irving

scm5
03-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Kyrie Irving

Really? Why?

I realize Irving has more potential, but Curry is a better shooter, playmaker, rebounder, and defender.

Whoah10115
03-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Right now, Stephen Curry.

But Kyrie is great...and I think it'd be cool if Curry ended up at Cleveland (back in Ohio). I think those two would play well together...then again, maybe not good enough defensively (tho Kyrie will be good there, Curry will improve).

Bigsmoke
03-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Really? Why?

I realize Irving has more potential, but Curry is a better shooter, playmaker, rebounder, and defender.

i do not have a change to see a lot of Cavs games but if he's worse on D than Curry then i change my mind.

scm5
03-06-2012, 01:27 PM
i do not have a change to see a lot of Irving play but if he's worse on D than Curry then i change my mind.

Kyrie isn't a good defender from what I've seen, but he has the potential to eventually get there.

Steph Curry does a good job defensively on non-physical PG's. Rose just happens to be not as physical as Deron or CP3. He's not gonna be able to lock down players that can play physical, which is a huge shortcoming. He's a pretty frail player.

Kyrie is a much better physical player, but I think he's just young or something. His lateral movement is amazing, which should make him a good defender.

I could be wrong. I've only watched Kyrie against the Knicks and Heat.

Lin destroyed him. I remember Chalmers and Cole having their way with him.

Fiasco
03-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Irving is a terrible defender, but let's not pretend Curry is anything other than average.

hawksdogsbraves
03-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Ignoring the ankle issues? Curry. In real life though? Irving.

The ankles seem to be a very legitimate problem for Steph's career.

scm5
03-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Irving is a terrible defender, but let's not pretend Curry is anything other than average.

Well, I said Curry is solid.

He will defend non-physical plays really well, but players that do play physical gives him problems.

Rose, despite being able to finish strong and having a strong drive, doesn't play physical which is why Curry can defend him.

scm5
03-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Ignoring the ankle issues? Curry. In real life though? Irving.

The ankles seem to be a very legitimate problem for Steph's career.

Yea, I know :(

That's why the ankle issues was the first sentence I posted.

GOBB
03-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Steph Curry.

PleezeBelieve
03-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Is this even a debate?

Cavs average 10 less points this year than the Warriors put up lat year and that's not even taking into consideration age and the fact Irving plays 5 less minutes a game than Curry did.

Irving is clearly on a different level than Curry. Dumb thread.

ballashotcalla
03-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Irving.

Irving has the better all around game. Curry lacks the penetration to really be special.

CavaliersFTW
06-29-2016, 02:44 PM
When actually playing each other in a Finals series:

Irving: 1 championship with game winner in Currys face

Curry: none

atljonesbro
06-29-2016, 03:06 PM
It's still and always will be Stephen Curry. It's not even close honestly.

CTbasketball92
06-29-2016, 05:07 PM
I'd be extremely surprised if Kyrie ever had a season as good as the one curry just had. Because Curry hits so many threes at such a high clip, he can score 30 points more easily than anyone ever.

Kyrie could put up big numbers too, but, although he's also an elite three point shooter, he's not in the same class. He has to take a good deal more shots than Curry to get the job done.

Curry is also a more creative passer than Kyrie and he has a better court sense, even though he turns it over too much.

Curry is better than Kyrie, but Kyrie can definitely match up with him in a playoff series and is lethal in his own right.

CavaliersFTW
06-29-2016, 05:20 PM
I'd be extremely surprised if Kyrie ever had a season as good as the one curry just had. Because Curry gets so many illegal screens set at such a high clip, he can score 30 points more easily than anyone ever.

Kyrie could put up big numbers too, but, although he's also an elite three point shooter, he's not in the same class. He has to take a good deal more shots than Curry to get the job done.

Curry is also a more creative passer than Kyrie and he has a better court sense, even though he turns it over too much.

Curry is better than Kyrie, but Kyrie can definitely match up with him in a playoff series and is lethal in his own right.
FTFY

Achilleas
06-29-2016, 05:28 PM
FTFY
salt

curry is better :rockon:

Dray n Klay
06-29-2016, 05:40 PM
The one that has a FMVP

oh wait..