PDA

View Full Version : MLB The Show 12.

Carbine
03-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Convince me to buy a PS3 for the sole purpose of playing this game.

Skywalker
03-06-2012, 05:15 PM
Gonna scoop it up tomoro or the next day not bothered to get it tonight really..... or am I?

DeuceWallaces
03-06-2012, 05:28 PM
Based on the reviews I've read it does not warrant said purchase.

Qwyjibo
03-06-2012, 07:02 PM
If you can get the Canadian version you get the privilege of having the sexiest athlete on the cover:

http://cdn.gamerant.com/wp-content/uploads/MLB-12-The-Show-Jose-Bautista-Cover-280x322.jpg

The reviews generally seem really positive but then the overall score is underwhelming and I think that's more to do with it not being much of an upgrade over the previous version. I have no doubt that it's by far the best baseball game available and one of the best sports games but this is what will happen when you churn out a similar version every single year.

I'm gonna pick it up next weekend partly because Bautista is on the cover (I know, I'm a chump). I think it's a cool collectible and I love the series. Although from reading some reviews, it's a shame that they still haven't fixed the netcode for online play. MLB 10 was good and playable online, MLB 11 was god-awful. I don't know how things went wrong there.

If anyone else buys it, I'll be up for some online games. I'm sure they'll end either 1-0 or 2-1 with each of us striking out 20 times though.

Skywalker
03-06-2012, 08:37 PM
went and bought it

gonna boot it up in a minute here

Skywalker
03-06-2012, 10:39 PM
lost my first online game 2-1

I had no clue how to play and he scored off a routine pop fly in the 1st inning I thought my guy would go underneath it but he kept running and it fell in, BS.

Cecil 6 IP 2 ER 6 K
Fister 7 IP 1 ER 12 K lol

Hit a homer with Encarnacion :P

ace23
03-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Might cop the PS Vita just for the ability to continue your franchise on the go.

Qwyjibo
03-06-2012, 10:53 PM
lost my first online game 2-1

I had no clue how to play and he scored off a routine pop fly in the 1st inning I thought my guy would go underneath it but he kept running and it fell in, BS.

Cecil 6 IP 2 ER 6 K
Fister 7 IP 1 ER 12 K lol

Hit a homer with Encarnacion :P
How was the lag? Was it playable?

I found that in MLB 11 the lag while hitting was basically unplayable where you had to press to swing when the ball was still in the pitcher's hand to make contact.

Skywalker
03-06-2012, 10:59 PM
it was as smooth as I'd imagine offline to be, literally flawless. There was a couple swings where it looked like my guy double checked before swinging but nothing worth complaining about.

I haven't played offline yet, just one online game and it was very enjoyable.

burnsy87
03-07-2012, 02:17 PM
Might cop the PS Vita just for the ability to continue your franchise on the go.

I have a vita. If you buy both versions at gamestop or best buy, you get 20 bucks off the vita version. 80 for both games.

KG215
03-07-2012, 04:23 PM

It's probably the sole reason I switched from 360 to PS3. I'm almost strictly a sports gamer and there was three games a year I got geeked about: NBA 2K, NCAA Football, and MLB 2K. But MLB 2K started getting more and more unbearable to play and I had heard nothing but rave reviews on The Show. To me it's just so much more realistic than MLB 2K.

The only thing 2K has over The Show is the Kate Upton commercials.

irondarts
03-07-2012, 11:24 PM
I bought it yesterday, played it a lot today. It's really, really fun, it doesn't lag at all really. Graphics are top notch, gameplay is fun. Overall it's better than last years so far. Gonna have to play more though.

Qwyjibo
03-07-2012, 11:27 PM
These reports of no lag from you guys are giving me hope. Gonna pick it up this weekend and we should play some online games sometime. Mass Effect 3 is the priority for now though.

Skywalker
03-10-2012, 04:43 PM
I just got 8.1 IP, 15 K'd by Doc, and to top off the frustration he brings in Papelbon for the 2 out save, on my last out I single to right field with Rasmus and Pence picks it up and throws me out at first with a cannon throw. fcking ridiculous BS

Qwyjibo
03-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Got the game but still haven't tried it. Mass Effect 3 is too involving.

MeloMike
03-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Got the game.

While it's still a great baseball game, I really don't notice too much different in it at all. Kind of a let down.

Qwyjibo
04-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Screw that. I just got promoted to AAA in RTTS and the Jays trade me to the Royals. An 18 year old RF in AAA and I get traded. They will regret it!

Skywalker
04-01-2012, 04:42 PM
I was in dbacks system in AA and they traded me for Jamey Carroll now through 4 starts in the bigs I have like 1.25 ERA and about 7.5 K/9. how'd that work out YE FCKIN SNAKES

ace23
04-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Wow, Operation Sports is running some April Fools joke that's keeping MK Knight from releasing the full minor league rosters. :biggums:

irondarts
04-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Wow, Operation Sports is running some April Fools joke that's keeping MK Knight from releasing the full minor league rosters. :biggums:
Don't they usually wait until after opening day to release them? Either way, I'm waiting for them too.

ace23
04-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Don't they usually wait until after opening day to release them? Either way, I'm waiting for them too.
Post-Spring Training set dropped yesterday. Opening day coming soon.

irondarts
04-08-2012, 11:06 PM
Opening day minor league rosters from operation sports will be out on Wednesday I believe!

Skywalker
04-09-2012, 05:14 PM
how is there not 2 wild card spots? wow

I was chasing that second spot and achieved it then it says I missed playoffs. LAME.

irondarts
04-09-2012, 09:36 PM
how is there not 2 wild card spots? wow

I was chasing that second spot and achieved it then it says I missed playoffs. LAME.
I know. I've been wondering if they will change that, or if they even can change it. It's a pretty bad flaw.

KG215
04-10-2012, 01:19 AM
Wednesday can't get here soon enough. I've got the baseball itch in a bad way. Is anyone else going to go through the ridiculous amount of trouble it's going to take to get the lineups and rotations to stick after Spring Training?

irondarts
04-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Operation Sports Opening Day Full Minors Rosters are up:

Vault under PSN Ridindwnkingsley OSFM Opening day

baseketball4life
04-16-2012, 03:58 AM
this is exactly what I did LMAO.

KG215
04-28-2012, 12:24 AM
I don't care what anyone says, but I'm enjoying the game a lot more after I found a good slider set, made some tweaks to the hitting sliders, and set the hitting difficulty to rookie. I'm not scoring 5-8 runs every game either. I just got through beating the Nationals 2-1, lost the next game 2-0, then won game three of the series 7-3 in my Braves franchise.

I'm also playing a Royals franchise. Went on a three game tear against the Indians where I scored 11, 6, and 7 runs in a three-gamer, then followed that up by scoring 3, 5, and 3 runs in a series against the Tigers.

Qwyjibo
04-29-2012, 03:53 PM
I got bench in my RTTS.

I was caught stealing even though it was supposed to be a hit and run (the batter missed) so I got a message that my "green light" was taken away. Then in another game, my team was in a blowout, I was on 1st and the first basemen was playing way behind me. I took a huge lead and figured "why the hell not? I'm gonna easily make it." So I stole the base easily and was benched right after. Then I got put into a game, got injured, season ended and again started the next season on the bench. **** you Cleveland organization, I retire! (starting up a new player)

I should play some online games but having too much fun with RTTS despite some of these oddities you'll see from how you are handled by your team.

Skywalker
04-30-2012, 09:49 AM
I got drafted by the Jays and they trade me to FCKING SEATTLE before I even make AAA, fml.

ashlar
04-30-2012, 12:53 PM
They finally added Yu Darvish and he has a generic fat white/hispanic face :lol

baseketball4life
05-01-2012, 09:22 PM
They finally added Yu Darvish and he has a generic fat white/hispanic face :lol
he's unfair. I had the most epic game online with Darvish and the Rangers. 9 IP 2 hits 2 ER 19K's with Yu, just gave up one lucky HR. I was down 2-0 going to bottom of 9th. I got 2nd and 3rd with no one out, Cruz struck out, Beltre struck out and I was 0-2 with Napoli then he left a slider up hit a lucky walk off HR with Napoli. Yu is unfair though every one of his pitches are top notch in that game. 2 seamer is like Greg Maddux prime, cutter of Mo Rivera, curveball of prime Wainwright, 4 seamer is Roger Clemens-like. Slider falls off the table to like ROB NEN.

ace23
05-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Just blew a save with Brett Myers, second blown in 5 tries. ERA up over 10. :facepalm

I'm the Astros playing at home against the Dodgers. 1-0 ballgame, 2 outs, top 9th, bases loaded after walking Kemp to get to Ethier. Ethier grounds to short and Jed Lowrie ****ing can't field it cleanly. Run scores, bases loaded again for Tony Gwynn Jr. He slapsa grounder to second and I ****ing flick the left analog stick too much (Goddamn Vita :facepalm), putting Paredes out of position. Two runs score. Strikeout Rivera to get out the inning.

Go down 1, 2, 3 to Guerra in the bottom half. :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Off to a 4-10 start.

KG215
05-19-2012, 02:53 AM
My RTTS player just got benched for "stealing without the green light" even thought it was a called hit-and-run where the batter didn't make contact and I was thrown out at second. It happened in late April and I wasn't put back in the lineup until early June.

Go Getter
05-19-2012, 03:50 AM
I might get a PS3 for this title.

Qwyjibo
05-19-2012, 11:07 AM
My RTTS player just got benched for "stealing without the green light" even thought it was a called hit-and-run where the batter didn't make contact and I was thrown out at second. It happened in late April and I wasn't put back in the lineup until early June.
Same thing happened to me. I just don't run. It seems like there is no punishment for disobeying coaches when it comes to hit and runs or fielding position.

irondarts
05-19-2012, 11:59 AM
My RTTS player is hitting .407 with 12 HR's and 47 RBI's in mid July at Triple A, hopefully I get called up soon (CF in the A's organization)

baseketball4life
05-21-2012, 04:15 AM
my RTTS player had a 9-0 record 99 IP 101 Ks 0.49 ERA in triple A rotation then I got demoted to double A?? That's when I gave up on this game

irondarts
05-23-2012, 08:56 PM
my RTTS player had a 9-0 record 99 IP 101 Ks 0.49 ERA in triple A rotation then I got demoted to double A?? That's when I gave up on this game
Did you go against a coaches wish or something? That's the only explanation I can think of for why that would happen....bizarre.

irondarts
06-06-2012, 01:38 AM
I finished my first minor league season in RTTS and hit .372 with 18 HR's and 79 RBI's between AA and AAA and didn't even get a September call up AND I didn't get invited to big league camp the next year at Spring training, don't get this game sometimes. :lol :lol

baseketball4life
06-06-2012, 05:01 AM
Did you go against a coaches wish or something? That's the only explanation I can think of for why that would happen....bizarre.
what is a coaches wish?

After two full seasons between AAA and AA I finally got called up pre-2014 season as a 20 year old SP. I'm 8-0 with a 0.52 ERA 69 innings 70 Ks. My player is ridiculously good due to all the training points I kept racking up in the minors because I didn't belong there but I'm not complaining. I choked and accepted a 2 year 12 million dollar deal, if I had taken a one year qualifying offer or something I'd be getting paid after the kind of season I'm in the midst of.

irondarts
06-06-2012, 01:36 PM
what is a coaches wish?

After two full seasons between AAA and AA I finally got called up pre-2014 season as a 20 year old SP. I'm 8-0 with a 0.52 ERA 69 innings 70 Ks. My player is ridiculously good due to all the training points I kept racking up in the minors because I didn't belong there but I'm not complaining. I choked and accepted a 2 year 12 million dollar deal, if I had taken a one year qualifying offer or something I'd be getting paid after the kind of season I'm in the midst of.
I've been benched before for stealing bases when the coach told me I wasn't allowed to. I don't think it happens to Pitchers though. So nevermind.

What team are you on?

baseketball4life
06-06-2012, 04:40 PM
I've been benched before for stealing bases when the coach told me I wasn't allowed to. I don't think it happens to Pitchers though. So nevermind.

What team are you on?
interesting avy you got there because I chose the Pirates organization but then they traded me to ATL for Brian McCann and someone else.