PDA

View Full Version : did melo really just say that?

Knicksfever2010
03-09-2012, 01:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MolEov4tpHc&feature=related

"my thing is to get into the gym, and get out. No need to be in the gym, 3-4-5 hours, 45 minutes to an hour get it done"

WOW REALLY? Its VERY sad when someone who has the ability that he has doesnt maximize his talents. Whats the line from a Bronx Tale? Saddest thing is wasted talent? smh at melo's comments

Teanett
03-09-2012, 01:36 PM
practice? are we talking about practice?
guys with tats and arm sleeves dont practice.

PHaYze
03-09-2012, 01:36 PM
That doesn't have anything to do with his struggles, he's clearly lost a step.

TheMarkMadsen
03-09-2012, 01:39 PM
:facepalm

dunksby
03-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Waste of flesh and talent.

Rake2204
03-09-2012, 01:40 PM
To be completely truthful, I totally understand where he's coming from. Richard Hamilton said something similar during his prime. Hamilton was a player who subscribed to submitting one hour of very hard work as opposed to four hours of medium level work or dabbling. Further, he stated he liked going on legit runs of a short length as opposed to extended jogging.

Personally, I think there's something to it. Through my years, I've found that going as hard as possible over two hours every single day is nearly impossible. I've known a lot of folks who assumed more time in the gym meant more development. I have not always found that to be the case. More often, one's development is completely based on what one does with their time. I think an hour is enough time to get a lot of development done in the basketball sense.

I'm also assuming this time Carmelo speaks of is different from lifting/conditioning/film.

Knicksfever2010
03-09-2012, 01:48 PM
To be completely truthful, I totally understand where he's coming from. Richard Hamilton said something similar during his prime. Hamilton was a player who subscribed to submitting one hour of very hard work as opposed to four hours of medium level work or dabbling. Further, he stated he liked going on legit runs of a short length as opposed to extended jogging.

Personally, I think there's something to it. Through my years, I've found that going as hard as possible over two hours every single day is nearly impossible. I've known a lot of folks who assumed more time in the gym meant more development. I have not always found that to be the case. More often, one's development is completely based on what one does with their time. I think an hour is enough time to get a lot of development done in the basketball sense.

I'm also assuming this time Carmelo speaks of is different from lifting/conditioning/film.

look at all the great champions in the nba... mj LIVED to practice, bird LIVED to practice, same for kobe, same for olajuwon. you think these guys put in 45 minutes ? I like melo but I'M SORRY, you're a professional, learn to get your ass in the gym for 2-3 hours. The only way you get great is through repetition, not just resting on your god given talents.

Skywalker
03-09-2012, 01:49 PM
I agree with him.

bmulls
03-09-2012, 01:55 PM

Working out for 2-3-4 hours doesn't mean you have to slack off either. Can you imagine Kobe or MJ dicking around a whole lot in the gym?

Rake2204
03-09-2012, 01:55 PM
look at all the great champions in the nba... mj LIVED to practice, bird LIVED to practice, same for kobe, same for olajuwon. you think these guys put in 45 minutes ? I like melo but I'M SORRY, you're a professional, learn to get your ass in the gym for 2-3 hours. The only way you get great is through repetition, not just resting on your god given talents.
I cannot watch the video right now, so I'm only going off your quote. As such, I could be missing some context. Even if all the greats truly put in three hours of practice every off day during the season, I suppose that's what would help in making them some of the ten best players of all-time. Anthony is great, but I do not see why he's automatically thrown into the "Top Ten of All-Time" fold.

Out of true curiosity, what do you guys think a typical three hour practice session looked like for a guy like Larry Bird?

Heilige
03-09-2012, 01:56 PM

how many hours a day did michael jordan, kobe bryant, larry bird and hakeem olajuwon practice?

PJR
03-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Glenn Robinson 2.0

SpecialQue
03-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Waste of flesh and talent.

Goddamn, man.

DuMa
03-09-2012, 02:07 PM
maybe he means only this season because you need your rest

ballashotcalla
03-09-2012, 02:22 PM
he likes to reflect afterwards eating 4-5 bags of chips.

IGOTGAME
03-09-2012, 02:32 PM

"my thing is to get into the gym, and get out. No need to be in the gym, 3-4-5 hours, 45 minutes to an hour get it done"

WOW REALLY? Its VERY sad when someone who has the ability that he has doesnt maximize his talents. Whats the line from a Bronx Tale? Saddest thing is wasted talent? smh at melo's comments
I'm sure melo has put in 10 times more work on his game than a lot of guys in this league. Smh. I guess he should work hard like Lin and forget how to go left.

Knocks fans are the worst. You guys deserve to lose.

inclinerator
03-09-2012, 02:35 PM
didnt kobe use to workout 6 hrs a day

emaugust
03-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Lots of lifters stand by the notion you should spend NO MORE than 1 hour a day at the gym. Get in, do work, leave. You don't need to do anymore if you do your lifts right. But everyone on ISH is a goddamn bro scientist personal trainer i'm sure.

Story Up
03-09-2012, 02:40 PM
It's better to workout 1 hour intensely then 3 slacking off, but that's not what Melo means. He IS a waste of talent.

LJJ
03-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Like Carmelo Anthony only goes to the gym a single hour but "works really hard".

NBA SF who is lazy as shit and eats fried chicken all day every day:
http://i.imgur.com/9Ci0g.jpg

NBA SF who is on a diet and really works the gym:
http://i.imgur.com/3Crsl.jpg

You tell me how hard Carmelo works judging from those pictures. And I don't care if it's the off season. You think Corey Maggette looks like a fat piece of shit in the off season? You think Ray Allen looks like a piece of shit? Anthony just isn't a professional, he lives and breathes immaturity.

Is He Ill
03-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Lots of lifters stand by the notion you should spend NO MORE than 1 hour a day at the gym. Get in, do work, leave. You don't need to do anymore if you do your lifts right. But everyone on ISH is a goddamn bro scientist personal trainer i'm sure.

Yeah, I'm a lifter and that is common knowledge amongst us. Cortisol builds up after an hour of lifting and there are diminishing returns. Long workouts are not good for MUSCLE MASS. But this isn't weightlifting guy. Your goals as a basketball player are entirely different than a weightlifter. Your cardio has to be top notch and you are not attempting to achieve mass. There is a huge difference between weightlifting and basketball practice.

ballashotcalla
03-09-2012, 02:44 PM

True.

But by "gym", he doesn't mean gym for bodybuilders. He means gym as in basketball gym.

You gotta spend more than an hour shooting, drills, dribbling, etc.

inclinerator
03-09-2012, 02:45 PM
that vid was from when he was a nugget

Is He Ill
03-09-2012, 02:47 PM
True.

But by "gym", he doesn't mean gym for bodybuilders. He means gym as in basketball gym.

You gotta spend more than an hour shooting, drills, dribbling, etc.

Exactly

RaininTwos
03-09-2012, 02:50 PM
didnt kobe use to workout 6 hrs a day
Yup. Kobe's 666 workout killed me when I tried that shit one summer in HS, but I was a beast the next year lol.

Rake2204
03-09-2012, 02:51 PM
I don't mean to get repetitive, but I'm wondering if my last question was lost in my post.

How do you guys think a three hour practice session broke down for a guy like Larry Bird? As in, precisely how were those 180 basketball minutes filled?

emaugust
03-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Is he Ill and ballashotcalla are absolutely right. I misread that - thanks for clearing that up!

inclinerator
03-09-2012, 02:53 PM
I don't mean to get repetitive, but I'm wondering if my last question was lost in my post.

How do you guys think a three hour practice session broke down for a guy like Larry Bird? As in, precisely how were those 180 basketball minutes filled?
i assume most were shooting jumpers, running etc

Is He Ill
Is he Ill and ballashotcalla are absolutely right. I misread that - thanks for clearing that up!

No problem broseph!

strifed169
7-8 bags of cool range doritos ain't helping either

source - JJ

kurt_rambis
03-09-2012, 03:01 PM
team usa workout video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD2N2nfVWjY

melo is hilarious. he can't do simple ab exercises without looking like an awkward 14 year old

http://i42.tinypic.com/111qlhl.jpg

TheMarkMadsen
03-09-2012, 03:14 PM

Let's not apply rational thinking to this.. We are on ISH afterall

TheMarkMadsen
03-09-2012, 03:16 PM
team usa workout video

melo is hilarious. he can't do simple ab exercises without looking like an awkward 14 year old

"put them legs down melo" :roll: :roll: :roll:

dunksby
03-09-2012, 03:20 PM
team usa workout video

:roll: :roll:
http://nsa20.casimages.com/img/2010/11/08/101108093053175662.gif

DMV2
03-09-2012, 04:06 PM
:facepalm at Melo's sit-ups at 1:50 mark

I can do better than that.

inclinerator
03-09-2012, 04:24 PM
:roll: :roll: i like kobe's smile at the end

linZoMourning
03-09-2012, 04:25 PM
melo just pr oving hes still not at the level

The Macho Man
03-09-2012, 04:31 PM
I like that GIF with the Bosh flop more, anyone have that?

And Maggette's abs don't seem to be helping the Bobcats.

Rake2204
03-09-2012, 04:51 PM
i assume most were shooting jumpers, running etc
Honestly, I'm not trying to be difficult, but I was sort of looking for something more specific. To be completely honest, with the aide of a shooting machine, it's possible to crank up 500 shots in 30 minutes.

So hypothetically, if a player cranked out 1,000 varied forms of shots in an hour, that'd leave 2 hours of practice left (in the 3 hour plan). What happens in those last two hours of basketball court time? Do they do defensive slides and windsprints non-stop for that 2 hour span? Ball-handling handles and sprints combined with defensive drills?

Further, are these three hour practices supposed to be occurring mid-season, in between cross-country flights and four 48-minute games in five nights? Even if we're only referring to the off-season, is it normal to expect a player (even a professional) to put in 3 hours of hardcore basketball court work, only to then go lift weights, watch films, etc.? Is it believed Larry Bird practiced for three consecutive hours on his own game every single day, going 100% all the time? Or is this three hour span supposed to include all those extras such as weight-lifting and whatnot?

OhNoTimNoSho
03-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Honestly, I'm not trying to be difficult, but I was sort of looking for something more specific. To be completely honest, with the aide of a shooting machine, it's possible to crank up 500 shots in 30 minutes.

So hypothetically, if a player cranked out 1,000 varied forms of shots in an hour, that'd leave 2 hours of practice left (in the 3 hour plan). What happens in those last two hours of basketball court time? Do they do defensive slides and windsprints non-stop for that 2 hour span? Ball-handling handles and sprints combined with defensive drills?

Further, are these three hour practices supposed to be occurring mid-season, in between cross-country flights and four 48-minute games in five nights? Even if we're only referring to the off-season, is it normal to expect a player (even a professional) to put in 3 hours of hardcore basketball court work, only to then go lift weights, watch films, etc.? Is it believed Larry Bird practiced for three consecutive hours on his own game every single day, going 100% all the time? Or is this three hour span supposed to include all those extras such as weight-lifting and whatnot?

dude what the hell are you asking... what do you want a detailed minute by minute report of how NBA players work out?? Google nba workouts theres like 100s of videos. Who knows how larry bird practiced.. who cares.. Melo isn't 1/5th the player. Players workout to stay in shape & sharpen skills..(how often? I dunno) all Melo probably does is shooting and not as often as others.

LABean
03-09-2012, 06:03 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: TRADE MELO. :confusedshrug:
He gets worse everyday. :facepalm
Most overrated player of all time. :violin:

:lol :lol

Anyone have a gif of Melo running like a ***** after the sucker punch during the Knicks brawl?

chauzer
03-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Like Carmelo Anthony only goes to the gym a single hour but "works really hard".

NBA SF who is lazy as shit and eats fried chicken all day every day:
http://i.imgur.com/9Ci0g.jpg

NBA SF who is on a diet and really works the gym:
http://i.imgur.com/3Crsl.jpg

You tell me how hard Carmelo works judging from those pictures. And I don't care if it's the off season. You think Corey Maggette looks like a fat piece of shit in the off season? You think Ray Allen looks like a piece of shit? Anthony just isn't a professional, he lives and breathes immaturity.:roll: :rockon:

04mzwach
03-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Going hard for short periods of time is the way to really get in shape...4, 5 hours is stupid.

Rake2204
03-09-2012, 07:08 PM
dude what the hell are you asking... what do you want a detailed minute by minute report of how NBA players work out?? Google nba workouts theres like 100s of videos. Who knows how larry bird practiced.. who cares.. Melo isn't 1/5th the player. Players workout to stay in shape & sharpen skills..(how often? I dunno) all Melo probably does is shooting and not as often as others.
Well, as I said before, I wasn't able to watch the video initially, so I wasn't sure with what context Carmelo made that statement. Now being able to see the video, it's still not terribly clear. It seems he was referring to skill work. As such, I don't fault his workout plan. Could it be longer? Perhaps. But the video surely sent a mixed message, for he was talking about going hard for an hour but the video only showed him shooting set shots. I think we all know he's not just spending 60 minutes shooting set shots then leaving.

I also didn't think he was saying he only spends an hour per day on basketball activities. I'm not convinced that hour would necessarily include conditioning (though it might) and I'm not sure it covers other aspects such as weightlifting.

Essentially, I'm saying if folks have a belief that players like Larry Bird truly spent 5 hours in the gym going as hard as humanly possible, then I think they're way off base. 3-5 hours of gym time requires pacing throughout (or at least a dramatic drop in energy and ability after the first hour). Is it worth still putting in time after that initial hour? Yes. And does Carmelo sometimes appear strangely out of shape? Yes, strangely so. But generally speaking, I don't think a 60 minute workout for an NBA player is how some people might be envisioning it.

Yung D-Will
03-09-2012, 07:10 PM
I kind of remember Sloan saying something similar about the practices he coached. He'd rather get a lot done in a short time rather than have longer practices or 2 a days.

detroitkid816
03-09-2012, 10:54 PM
explain

LABean
03-09-2012, 10:56 PM
explain

He sucks.

/explanation

Lebron23
03-10-2012, 02:51 AM
He sucks.

/explanation

LABEan = Goat Kobe fanboy.

DGARAS
03-10-2012, 03:18 AM
I'm sure melo has put in 10 times more work on his game than a lot of guys in this league. Smh. I guess he should work hard like Lin and forget how to go left.

Knocks fans are the worst. You guys deserve to lose.

biggest myth in the world. lin cant go left? are you retarded? AHAHAHAHAHA

longtime lurker
03-10-2012, 03:20 AM
This is really disappointing to hear from Melo. Might as well give Lebron the crown. Seems like Melo's career will go the Carter/Mcgrady route instead of joining the greats like he's capable of.

DaHeezy
03-10-2012, 03:47 AM
Is he talking practice or physical training?
Physical training should take more than an hour. With advanced equiptment you can maximize training in hat timeframe.

no0
03-10-2012, 04:35 AM
team usa workout video

*deeeeeeeeeeeeead*

comerb
03-10-2012, 08:43 AM
45 minutes of hard work is great for a college athlete thats also doing school, or for a weightlifter trying to put on muscle mass. For a professional athlete getting paid millions to do nothing but play sports, 45 minutes is ****ing lazy, especially when you can almost bet a significant portion of that time is him standing around shooting jumpers.

midatlantic09
03-10-2012, 01:15 PM
How are his statements surprising? All one has to do is take a look at his body fat percentage and that'll tell you all you need to know about his work ethic when it comes to basketball.

I.R.Beast
03-10-2012, 01:25 PM

overreaction.... 2-3 hours in the gym?....of what?....overtraining...injuring yourself.....he's right..... you should not be in the gym for that long.

Shepseskaf
03-10-2012, 01:40 PM
7-8 bags of cool range doritos ain't helping either

source - JJ
Those chips ain't no joke. Thanks for reminding me to pick up a couple of bags.

On the thread subject: its been obvious for a while that Carmelo isn't committed to attaining the highest level of fitness. He's been living off of his talent for a long time.

Just look at his Pillsbury Doughboy look. If ever there was a candidate to blow up after retirement, its him.

He should be in his prime years of dominance now. That's what the Knicks traded for. What they got was a lazy, but very talented, player who demanded a trade because of the commercial opportunities that NY presents. Not to win a championship.

Now the Knicks are stuck with paying this fool $17 million a year. SMH.

Heilige
03-10-2012, 05:38 PM
How many hours a day did michael jordan, kobe bryant and larry bird stay in the gym?

stevieming
03-10-2012, 07:34 PM
problem with melo is conditioning....he needs to get on the same diet that grant hill is on.

Lebron23
03-10-2012, 07:36 PM
That's why Melo will never be in the same level as LBJ and KD.

swi7ch
03-10-2012, 07:45 PM
How many hours a day did michael jordan, kobe bryant and larry bird stay in the gym?
jordan's trainer said 2-3 hours everyday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w39-_rauFSk

nathanjizzle
03-10-2012, 08:12 PM
i feel sorry for lala

kenny817
03-10-2012, 08:18 PM
i feel sorry for lala

Why? Her husband has a $100 million contract

305Baller
03-10-2012, 08:33 PM
in the context of a regular season I can see this comment making sense.

Johnni Gade
03-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Wow.

MeLO MvP 15
03-10-2012, 08:37 PM
http://www.atlnightspots.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/IFWT-Melo-Tire.jpg

305Baller
03-10-2012, 08:40 PM
http://www.atlnightspots.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/IFWT-Melo-Tire.jpg

:oldlol: wtf is this??

Hater
03-11-2012, 12:17 AM
The pic he faps to every night.

Bandito
03-11-2012, 12:32 AM
Some training a la Rocky Balboa perhaps?

ace23
03-11-2012, 02:55 AM
team usa workout video

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: I'm in tears.

SacJB Shady
03-11-2012, 03:05 AM

If you're on steroids you can do more than that with good intensity. But if you are natural you cant do more than that if you want quality. Even the best can't really. More is not better. If you can't get strong doing 15 sets, what makes you think your going to get strong doing 35 sets? just give it up.

However in basketball, you can put more time on your game than 45 minutes. Carmelo sounded a little bit like a smart A** when he said that.

You don't need to practice 4 hours straight, you can do it in increments and don't have to practice that hard everyday. But for a professional, the answer is not how many hours it takes. The answer is to do WHATEVER it takes. Carmelo doesn't have that. But yes as far as natural bodybuilding, you can't consistently do weight lifting more than an hour a day. The body can't take it. That is fact. If you are able to do much more than that, you are just not training with enough intensity. But cardio or basketball related work is different.

Cali Syndicate
03-11-2012, 04:43 AM
15 minutes warm up

at least 1 hour running an assortment of drills

45 minutes resistance training

30 minutes shooting drills for muscle memory

15 minutes of cardio cool down

I would be in the gym at least 3 hours.

Edit: Followed by a fantastic and nutrient dense meal

All Net
03-11-2012, 06:41 AM
In a lockout season this shouldn't come as a surprise.

Jotaro Durant
03-11-2012, 06:42 AM
team usa workout video

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Heilige
03-11-2012, 02:53 PM
In a lockout season this shouldn't come as a surprise.

that video was when he was still in Denver...

upside24
03-11-2012, 03:10 PM
It shows.

ballashotcalla
03-11-2012, 03:12 PM
melo looked noticeably slimmer in today's game though.

Heilige
03-11-2012, 03:15 PM
jordan's trainer said 2-3 hours everyday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w39-_rauFSk

how many hours a day were bird and kobe in the gym?

Fuhrer Hubbs
03-11-2012, 03:18 PM
45 minutes-hour is ideal when focusing on strength training/conditioning

However in this video all Carmelo is doing is shooting jumpshots almost effortlessly. I used to do that for easily 3 hours when I practiced heavily. If your going all out 1 hour is plenty as practicing when your near dead is a waste, but you can easily have workouts of solely skill-related exercises consisting of multiple hours. Maybe he is talking about weight training/conditioning?

FindingTim
03-11-2012, 03:19 PM
in my experience, intensity for shorter durations is more effective than 75% over a longer duration. give me the hare over the tortoise.

inclinerator
03-11-2012, 03:32 PM
he imagines doughnuts when he flip those tires

Heilige
04-02-2012, 05:47 PM
45 minutes-hour is ideal when focusing on strength training/conditioning

However in this video all Carmelo is doing is shooting jumpshots almost effortlessly. I used to do that for easily 3 hours when I practiced heavily. If your going all out 1 hour is plenty as practicing when your near dead is a waste, but you can easily have workouts of solely skill-related exercises consisting of multiple hours. Maybe he is talking about weight training/conditioning?

Do you still practice heavily?

NBAller
04-02-2012, 05:52 PM

I'm sorry, but anyone who didn't see any NBA GOATS live their day to day life while playing shouldn't be talking about certainties, because as we already know men and women lie. For example, Wilt said he had x amount of women, then later told one of his friends who told the media that he added a 0 between them.

Point being, practicing all out for a hour vs pacing yourself through multiples hrs could both be the recipe for success, IMO i think it depends on the player.