PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Films: "The Announcement" 9 ET

ace23
03-11-2012, 08:05 PM
ESPN Films never disappoint. Looking forward to this one.

http://espn.go.com/espn/espnfilms/story/_/page/theannouncement/announcement

FILM SUMMARY

ESPN Films

On Thursday, Nov. 7, 1991, Earvin "Magic" Johnson made people stop and watch at the Forum in Inglewood, Calif. But this time it wasn't his basketball brilliance as a perennial NBA All-Star and three-time MVP that was captivating audiences worldwide. Instead, the 32-year-old groundbreaking point guard was holding a press conference to make the stunning announcement that he was HIV-positive and would be retiring from basketball immediately. But the shock of this declaration went deeper. Having the AIDS virus in 1991 was widely seen as a death sentence, and the commonly held belief was that we would be watching a beloved sports hero die excruciatingly and swiftly in front of our eyes. Yet Magic had a different narrative in mind. He defied the odds, not just surviving, but truly living and prospering. From his MVP performance in the 1992 NBA All-Star Game, his participation on the original Olympic "Dream Team" later that year and an NBA comeback in 1996, to his astounding success as a businessman, philanthropist and ambassador in the fight against AIDS, Magic has lived up to the promise of his nickname.

In "The Announcement," Nelson George and NBA Entertainment get to the core of this incredible personal journey and explore how he continues to thrive two decades later.

Heavincent
03-11-2012, 08:39 PM
Is this a prequel to "The Decision"?

ace23
03-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Bump

O_City_Thunder
03-11-2012, 09:23 PM
I love watching things like this. I forgot how great Magic was back then.

Cowboy Thunder
03-11-2012, 09:47 PM
Wow, I thought this would be 3 pages by now.

Intense :eek:

Derka
03-11-2012, 09:49 PM
All I can think of right now is how sad I was that I wouldn't see him going against Larry anymore and how everyone literally just assumed he was dead.

juju151111
03-11-2012, 09:50 PM
This shit is depressing.:(

Bandito
03-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Is this a prequel to "The Decision"?
The answer would be yes. It would be like the Star Wars saga how the new saga doesn't measure up to the new one...:lol

Cowboy Thunder
03-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Earvin Johnson sounds like Forrest Gump sometimes when he narrates this piece. (just sayin)

AngelEyes
03-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Irving Johnson sounds like Forrest Gump when he talks. (just sayin)

Earvin Johnson... just sayin

O_City_Thunder
03-11-2012, 09:57 PM
This

Cowboy Thunder
03-11-2012, 09:58 PM
fixed

LABean
Poor girl. :(

sodap

depressing? the man lived on, 20 years since that and he's not just surviving but living a good life. its all but depressing, its a story about hope and life and all that crap.

magic... :bowdown: I was a kid back in '92 and I instantly became a lakers fan when I knew about the aids situation and what it was (basically in my mind he just was dying soon).

basketball hit pretty hard here in spain with the barcelona olympics and the dream team. I remember in '92 the globetrotters visited my hometown too.

Cowboy Thunder
03-11-2012, 10:08 PM
NBA is going to miss David Stern.

Derka
03-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Awesome to watch the All-Star '92 and Olympic footage.

irondarts
This is a really, really good 30 for 30. Intense and powerful.

Cowboy Thunder
This is a really, really good 30 for 30. Intense and powerful.

Most of them are. ESPN does a bang-up job with these.:applause:

irondarts
03-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Most of them are. ESPN does a bang-up job with these.:applause:
Yep. Really one of the only things on ESPN that i truly, truly enjoy.

JM720
03-11-2012, 10:13 PM
While taking a picture with Mike.

"You can't get too close to Michael, it's a foul."

:roll:

:applause:

juju151111
03-11-2012, 10:13 PM
depressing? the man lived on, 20 years since that and he's not just surviving but living a good life. its all but depressing, its a story about hope and life and all that crap.

magic... :bowdown: I was a kid back in '92 and I instantly became a lakers fan when I knew about the aids situation and what it was (basically in my mind he just was dying soon).

basketball hit pretty hard here in spain with the barcelona olympics and the dream team. I remember in '92 the globetrotters visited my hometown too.
I am just saying through. The little girl crying got to me. Magic :bowdown:

Flagrant 2
03-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Karl MaTROLL

mlh1981
03-11-2012, 10:19 PM
I remember being a young kid at the time, and thinking that this was basically a death sentence for magic. I can only imagine the personal hell he went through that year, but I respect the hell out of him for being the ambassador that he was/is.

upside24
03-11-2012, 10:21 PM
While taking a picture with Mike.

"You can't get too close to Michael, it's a foul."

:roll:

:applause:
That was hilarious.:lol

Derka
03-11-2012, 10:22 PM
LOL, he stops and chats with the two people at Starbucks. How bad ass is this guy?

sportsfan76
03-11-2012, 10:23 PM

How is it depressing and he is still alive? Are you retarded?

Cowboy Thunder
03-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Woohoo. Can't die from the pu$$y no mo.

We won!

edit: sadface

IGotACoolStory
03-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Who da bitch with the crazy rihanna hair?

Derka
03-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Good flick, will buy it when it hits iTunes and get other people to watch it. Good work, ESPN.

TOUCH MY BODY
03-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Great documentary. ESPN killed it.

SpecialQue
03-11-2012, 10:46 PM
I am just saying through. The little girl crying got to me. Magic :bowdown:

Little girl crying = :(

But she's still alive today = :rockon:

Magic Johnson = :bowdown:

People seeing that Magic's still alive, assume he no longer has HIV, and start having unprotected sex = :facepalm

L.Kizzle
03-11-2012, 11:54 PM
Why the hate for Karl Malone?

He was thinking just what everyone else was thinking. No one really knew about the disease, so he was naturally scared like everyone else.

Great special by the way.

alwaysunny
03-12-2012, 12:13 AM
I knew Magic is a great person but I got a whole lot more respect for him after watching this.

DuMa
03-12-2012, 01:07 AM
I always love Magic for what he did on the court but this special just really confirmed how great he was off the court. he did just what he told his wife when she first found out. he was gonna save a lot of people's lives and thats what he did. he is the face of HIV/AIDs and a great reason why it is where it is today.

Flagrant 2
03-12-2012, 01:18 AM
I always love Magic for what he did on the court but this special just really confirmed how great he was off the court. he did just what he told his wife when she first found out. he was gonna save a lot of people's lives and thats what he did. he is the face of HIV/AIDs and a great reason why it is where it is today.
The only good post I've ever seen you type and that's not filled with anti-Kobe hate. :bowdown: :applause:

Bless Mathews
03-12-2012, 01:48 AM
I remember that day so well...

17 year old yg fighting back tears....

lakers_forever
03-12-2012, 06:51 AM

He was thinking just what everyone else was thinking. No one really knew about the disease, so he was naturally scared like everyone else.

Damn right. He was the only one of the balls to say that.

He pressed a finger to a small, pinkish hole on his thigh that was developing into a scab. "I get these every night, every game," he said. "They can't tell you that you're not at risk, and you can't tell me there's one guy in the N.B.A. who hasn't thought about it."

Gerald Wilkins, the former Knick who is now with the Cleveland Cavaliers, said: "Everybody's talking about it. Some people are scared. This could be dangerous to us all, but you're dealing with Magic Johnson, so people are handling it with white gloves. They're not going to say how they really feel."

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/11/01/sports/basketball-johnson-s-return-to-league-isn-t-welcomed-by-some.html?pagewanted=all

CardiacKemba
03-12-2012, 06:54 AM
Anyone know how I can view this in Australia? Is it on the net anywhere yet...?

Nash
03-12-2012, 08:18 AM
Where can I watch the whole thing?

DuMa
03-12-2012, 10:44 AM
The other thing i realized is that the story of magic johnson and HIV/AIDs is a story about a higher power. I am not religious by any means if you ask my friends and family. I'm purely agnostic because there are often times where I dont see a reason to believe in a god.

But when i saw this story, I can eek out a belief that there is a higher power. You think Magic was put on this earth to play basketball, and some people may continue to still believe that. The man had otherworldly talent and skill. Its easy to believe so. One of the greatest to lace them up.

But clearly God (if there is one) put Magic on this earth to be the face of HIV/AIDs. He is a savior of some form to the human race. He is probably the most tragic living story in sports history. And that is why his work is so powerful in the HIV/AIDs awareness/fight. He continues his work and is a miracle in himself to be alive today.

miles berg
03-12-2012, 10:47 AM
I remember it like yesterday, I was 13 years ok'd and heart broken. I was a Mavs fan that always rooted for the Celtics against the Lakers but there was no one more fun to root against than Magic.

The Great One.

Scholar
03-12-2012, 10:55 AM
I missed it. :( Does anyone know if it'll be on re-run any time soon? I've checked through my Dish and can't seem to find it on any of the ESPN channels.

get these NETS
03-12-2012, 01:26 PM
haven't seen it yet but I'm convinced that if his wife was ANYBODY other than Cookie...he would be gone.

most if not all other owmen would have left him after hearing THAT news back then.

The fact that they really love each other is what has kept him alive.

mlh1981
03-12-2012, 03:11 PM

Sounds to me as if Malone realizes years later that he spoke without thinking, and was just going off what the people who raised him would have done in that situation.

GOBB
03-17-2012, 09:42 AM
I missed it. :( Does anyone know if it'll be on re-run any time soon? I've checked through my Dish and can't seem to find it on any of the ESPN channels.

Youtube has it. Its on now, been watching it since 9

heyhey
03-17-2012, 10:57 AM
The other thing i realized is that the story of magic johnson and HIV/AIDs is a story about a higher power. I am not religious by any means if you ask my friends and family. I'm purely agnostic because there are often times where I dont see a reason to believe in a god.

But when i saw this story, I can eek out a belief that there is a higher power. You think Magic was put on this earth to play basketball, and some people may continue to still believe that. The man had otherworldly talent and skill. Its easy to believe so. One of the greatest to lace them up.

But clearly God (if there is one) put Magic on this earth to be the face of HIV/AIDs. He is a savior of some form to the human race. He is probably the most tragic living story in sports history. And that is why his work is so powerful in the HIV/AIDs awareness/fight. He continues his work and is a miracle in himself to be alive today.

if by higher power you mean money then yea that sounds right

the story of Magic just highlights the difference in health care and treatment between the wealthy and the poor

Knicksfever2010
03-17-2012, 12:38 PM
My question is in terms of a poll:

did he acquire HIV from

a) drug use (sharing needles)
b) sexual activity
another male? or female?

brownmamba00
03-17-2012, 12:41 PM
My question is in terms of a poll:

did he acquire HIV from

a) drug use (sharing needles)
b) sexual activity
another male? or female?
from sex.

i read somewhere magic used to have orgies with 10-20 women in his mansion before he got married. wouldn't be surprised if some dude slipped in there and gave him the virus.

CelticBaller
03-17-2012, 12:46 PM
from sex.

i read somewhere magic used to have orgies with 10-20 women in his mansion before he got married. wouldn't be surprised if some dude slipped in there and gave him the virus.
:oldlol:

GOBB
03-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Yea GOD put Magic on EARTH to be the face of HIV/Aids. :roll:

I swear Duma types some of the most ridiculous and unintentionally humorous things. Should seriously consider getting a new username DuMaZz. The shoes fits and he wears it well. I swear GOD put Duma on EARTH to be the face of dumbasses across the world.

Shepseskaf
03-17-2012, 12:51 PM

I swear Duma types some of the most ridiculous and unintentionally humorous things. Should seriously consider getting a new username DuMaZz. The shoes fits and he wears it well. I swear GOD put Duma on EARTH to be the face of dumbasses across the world.
:oldlol:

Religion is incurable.

kNIOKAS
03-17-2012, 01:02 PM

I love Duma and he's a charismatic poster.

What is not charismatic, is that how could Magic have AIDS and still live for today??

BlueCrayon
03-17-2012, 01:04 PM

What is not charismatic, is that how could Magic have AIDS and still live for today??

:facepalm Magic has HIV not AIDS.

GOBB
03-17-2012, 01:07 PM

You do realize there are people with HIV who haved lived with the virus as long, longer than Magic Johnson right?

You're still stuck in a time where you hear someone has HIV, life expectancy 24hrs. Starting now...

Kblaze8855
03-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Yea...people gotta stop acting like Magic is some special case these days. He wouldnt lie about how he saved himself onthis issue. Wasnt just money. They showed the little girl he met in the footage from 91 still fine today. several others. If you got HIV in the 90s and took care of yourself you had a chance.

Darius
03-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Woohoo. Can't die from the pu$$y no mo.

We won!

edit: sadface

It's pretty difficult to get HIV through hetero-sex... just sayin'...:coleman:

GOBB
03-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Yea...people gotta stop acting like Magic is some special case these days. He wouldnt lie about how he saved himself onthis issue. Wasnt just money. They showed the little girl he met in the footage from 91 still fine today. several others. If you got HIV in the 90s and took care of yourself you had a chance.

Yeah the little girl who cried which was a moment most people remember, she is alive today. Think its been 21yrs so far. Jake Glaser, his mother who died with AIDS (daughter as well) was the one Magic sought out and she pushed him to being the FACE of HIV/Aids (sorry Duma, it wasnt GOD). Jake Glaser is like 27yrs old. Many unknown avg Joe's who have HIV longer than Magic.

I guess they didnt feel the need to watch The Announcement on espn. :confusedshrug: