PDA

View Full Version : Mike Brown: Blake might start for the rest of the year

konex
03-17-2012, 09:18 PM
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7703157/los-angeles-lakers-mike-brown-says-steve-blake-start-ramon-sessions-foreseeable-future

"It's definitely Steve's job for the foreseeable future and it might be his job for the rest of the year. I don't know."

Is this guy on drugs?

Dictator
03-17-2012, 09:20 PM
:kobe:

LA_Showtime
03-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Why would he even say that? What an idiot.

Whoah10115
03-17-2012, 09:22 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

UtahJazzFan88
03-17-2012, 09:22 PM
It's not a bad idea IF Blake still only gets 16-18 minutes a night while Sessions anchors the bench and finishes out games playing 30+ minutes a night. The bench would be vastly better with Sessions running it and scoring.

JM720
03-17-2012, 09:23 PM
He'll get a phone call. Sessions needs starter minutes starting or not. Get your shit together Brown.

konex
It's not a bad idea IF Blake still only gets 16-18 minutes a night while Sessions anchors the bench and finishes out games playing 30+ minutes a night.

Actually it's a terrible idea. Ramon gives you EASY baskets in transition, dribble penetration and less turnovers (3 big problems for this team). Brown needs to top dicking around and let our best PG gel with the other starters

rodman91
Mike Brown must be high.

strike
03-17-2012, 09:24 PM
WTF is the point!

32jazz
03-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Guy says 'I don't know'. Why just hand a career back up like Sessions the starting job after a few games?

Let the man know he has to earn it. Give Blake a chance & if he doesn't produce....

If Sessions is as goods as some think he will earn his minutes anyway. Who gives a damn who starts?

UtahJazzFan88
03-17-2012, 09:26 PM
Actually it's a terrible idea. Ramon gives you EASY baskets in transition, dribble penetration and less turnovers (3 big problems for this team). Brown needs to top dicking around

So you don't think the bench would be vastly better with Sessions running it?

Sessions still does deserve the 30+ minutes a PG, so if Brown doesn't do that then he's high, but bringing him off the bench as a Sixth Man basically isn't a bad idea.

Bobcat4Ever
03-17-2012, 09:26 PM
Mike Brown is a dumbass

RRR3
03-17-2012, 09:27 PM
Mike Brown must be high.
Mike been smoking that kush with his new buddy Nick Young
http://misterirrelevant.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Nick-Young-glasses.jpg

blacknapalm
03-17-2012, 09:29 PM
i'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. i think he wants to keep blake motivated and his head in the game. best way to do that? make it seem like he's comparable to sessions and has a shot at starting over him. plus, it's just a certain level of respect.

if he's seriously rigid about this, then i don't even know

konex
03-17-2012, 09:29 PM
So you don't think the bench would be vastly better with Sessions running it?

No. Their problem isn't getting shots. Their problem is that they all suck at scoring consistently except Goudelock. A good PG is wasted on that bunch.

Sessions in the starting lineup brings the team's turnovers down and FG% up. He'll also make the opposing staring PG have to play defense instead of saving up their energy to destroy us on the other end

LA_Showtime
03-17-2012, 09:31 PM
i'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. i think he wants to keep blake motivated and his head in the game. best way to do that? make it seem like he's comparable to sessions and has a shot at starting over him. plus, it's just a certain level of respect.

if he's seriously rigid about this, then i don't even know

If that comment keeps Blake motivated then it also tears Sessions down. He should've just said may the best man win. What a bozo.

oh the horror
03-17-2012, 09:32 PM
Honestly i think this is just the PC answer right here.

If Blake was meant to start, he would have BEEN given the keys over Fish a loooooooooooooooooong time ago.

He's backing Blake who has already been on the team awhile, but the reality is....Sessions was brought on board, to gel with the team, and be given the keys eventually.

RedBlackAttack
03-17-2012, 09:32 PM
As someone who has watched almost every game Sessions has played over the course of the last two seasons, I think that his best role is coming off of the bench. Let Blake start games, bring Sessions in toward the end of the first quarter and let him play through to midway through the second. In the second half, adjust the rotation a bit so that Sessions is on the floor at the close of games.

He is a much, much better player as instant energy off of the bench than he is starting a game. He will also transform your bench from a liability into an asset. He can get starter minutes without actually being the starter.

It would be the intelligent thing to do. Then again, Brown may eventually cave to the fans.

RedBlackAttack
03-17-2012, 09:34 PM
If that comment keeps Blake motivated then it also tears Sessions down. He should've just said may the best man win. What a bozo.
I'm sure Sessions is devastated. He was just the backup for the Cavs... And he performed much better as opposed to when he was a starter for us.

The guy is a true professional. Trust me, he isn't worried about it.

LA_Showtime
03-17-2012, 09:36 PM
I'm sure Sessions is devastated. He was just the backup for the Cavs... And he performed much better as opposed to when he was a starter for us.

The guy is a true professional. Trust me, he isn't worried about it.

I'm sure you knew what I meant.

I'd be pretty depressed if my coach told the media another player, one who couldn't start over Derek Fisher, was probably going to start the rest of the year. :oldlol:

konex
03-17-2012, 09:37 PM
I'm pretty sure Mitch didn't trade a first-round pick for a bench player though lol

RedBlackAttack
03-17-2012, 09:49 PM
I'm sure you knew what I meant.

I'd be pretty depressed if my coach told the media another player, one who couldn't start over Derek Fisher, was probably going to start the rest of the year. :oldlol:
Being pretty familiar with Sessions and his outlook/demeanor, I doubt he gives two sh!ts. Like I said... True professional... Never got mixed up in trying to 'get his' or 'be the man.' He went through one of the toughest situations an NBA player will ever face last year when he was the starter during the Cavs' 26-game losing streak.

A lot of fans were lobbying that he be replaced as the starter. It was just a bad scene, all the way around. You would have never known it from Sessions... He remained as cool as possible. Then, when we got Baron Davis and he eventually became the starter, Sessions absolutely flourished in his backup role.

Part of me wonders if he might want to come off of the bench... He is just a better player in that role. Maybe he has already talked to Brown about it? None of us know.

I just think that this may be a good idea and I don't think he cares what Brown is saying to the media in terms of who is the starter. Sessions will get starter minutes. At the end of the day, that is the most important thing. Who cares which guys are out there when they tip the ball?

RedBlackAttack
03-17-2012, 09:52 PM
I'm pretty sure Mitch didn't trade a first-round pick for a bench player though lol
That is just a crazy way to look at it. When the Lakers were winning titles with Odom coming off the bench, was he 'just a bench player,' or was he a unique and absolutely vital piece?

When the great Pistons teams were running through the NBA in the 80s, one of their most important players was Vinnie Johnson... He was the 6th man.

There are endless of examples of guys not being starters and having hugely vital roles on championship teams.

chazzy
As someone who has watched almost every game Sessions has played over the course of the last two seasons, I think that his best role is coming off of the bench. Let Blake start games, bring Sessions in toward the end of the first quarter and let him play through to midway through the second. In the second half, adjust the rotation a bit so that Sessions is on the floor at the close o f games.

He is a much, much better player as instant energy off of the bench than he is starting a game. He will also transform your bench from a liability into an asset. He can get starter minutes without actually being the starter.

It would be the intelligent thing to do. Then again, Brown may eventually cave to the fans.
Agreed. He gives the 2nd unit a jolt in that he'll run transition with Barnes and just get more out of them than Blake. Blake plays better off of Kobe since he's a better shooter so they may not want to mess with that too quickly. This doesn't mean Blake will play more minutes and im sure Sessions will get the job eventually.

LA_Showtime
Being pretty familiar with Sessions and his outlook/demeanor, I doubt he gives two sh!ts. Like I said... True professional... Never got mixed up in trying to 'get his' or 'be the man.' He went through one of the toughest situations last year when he was the starter the entire time during the Cavs' 26-game losing streak.

A lot of fans were lobbying that he be replaced as the starter. It was just a bad scene, all the way around. You would have never known it from Sessions... He remained as cool as possible. Then, when we got Baron Davis and he eventually became the starter, Sessions absolutely flourished in his backup role.

Part of me wonders if he might want to come off of the bench... He is just a better player in that role. Maybe he has already talked to Brown about it? None of us know.

I just think that this may be a good idea and I don't think he cares what Brown is saying to the media in terms of who is the starter. Sessions will get starter minutes. At the end of the day, that is the most important thing. Who cares which guys are out there when they tip the ball?

Well said. I just can't stand Mike Brown. I've lost any respect I had for him after he apologized for calling out Kobe's shot selection.

tmacattack33
After reading the comments by Lakers fans over the past few days I have learned that Sessions is an all-star PG, and thus starting Blake over him would be a bad move.

LA_Showtime
03-17-2012, 09:54 PM
After reading the comments by Lakers fans over the past few days I have learned that Sessions is an all-star PG and thus starting Blake over him would be a bad move.

You need to get your reading comprehension checked.

RRR3
03-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Gottta agree w/ RBA here, watched Sessions interviewed a few times since he came to LA, dude seems like a real down-to-earth and chill guy.

LA_Showtime
03-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Gottta agree w/ RBA here, watched Sessions interviewed a few times since he came to LA, dude seems like a real down-to-earth and chill guy.

The anti-Kobe, if you will.

longtime lurker
03-17-2012, 09:56 PM
:facepalm jesus Mike Brown is this guy serious?

konex
03-17-2012, 09:58 PM
That is just a crazy way to look at it. When the Lakers were winning titles with Odom coming off the bench, was he 'just a bench player,' or was he a unique and absolutely vital piece?

Gasol is better than Odom so he came off the bench unless Bynum was hurt and Pau slid over to C. I don't see your point

RedBlackAttack
03-17-2012, 10:00 PM
I'm going to miss what he bring to the lockerroom maybe even more than what he brings to the court. In addition to all of the turmoil last year, the Cavs then proceed to draft a point guard with the No. 1 pick in the draft. A lot of guys with the skill level of a Sessions playing for a bad team in Cleveland might ask to be traded after they obviously just replaced you, both in the short and long-term.

But, no... The guy remained completely positive about being here, he took Kyrie under his wing and they seemed to love playing with one another. Having he, Jamison and Parker in the same lockerroom while we groom these young, talented players? Invaluable.

I will always respect Ramon and I hope things work out well in LA.

longtime lurker
03-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Gasol is better than Odom so he came off the bench unless Bynum was hurt and Pau slid over to C. I don't see your point

Seriously to start Blake is just a stupid move. It's not like Blake and Sessions are even close in production. Sessions needs to start and he needs to get 30+ minutes, no ifs or buts about it. His job is to make every other starters job easier and play some defense on opposing PG or at least make them work on the defensive end. Steve Blake does none of these things.

IGOTGAME
03-17-2012, 10:04 PM
As long as he eventually starts finishing games than I am fine with it. I would eventually like to see him start because I like the fact the Kobe doesn't have to make EVERY play.

Actually, take that back. He should eventually start because the lineup needs the athleticism. In the playoffs the lineups are gonna be tighter anyway, might as well get him used to playing with the top guys. Unlike the Cavs, the Lakers aren't playing to win regular season games(where you can catch guys off-guard due to looser rotations).

RazorBaLade
03-17-2012, 10:05 PM
so why'd you trade fisher? fisher is better than blake. fisher could have started and blake got benched and sessions was off the bench. there was no point in trading fish unless you give sessions the complete reins to the team and that means playing him with kobe bynum and pau. We're back to playing 3 on 5 with the starters? seriously? The bench doesn't need penetration, that whole thing works with giving the ball to bynum and him passing out of double teams to open 3s. Blake can do that just as well.. i want to see what sesisons can do as a starter can he become a lowry esque player..

RedBlackAttack
03-17-2012, 10:06 PM
I don't see your point
If you don't "see the point" that it is crazy to insinuate that every player who has ever come off of the bench isn't a vital part of the roster simply because they aren't on the floor when tipoff happens, there is no point in discussing it.

You are probably right, though.... You know Sessions strengths on a roster better than me.

LA_Showtime
It's not about who starts or who finishes games. There wasn't any reason to declare Blake the starter "for the foreseeable future." It was an idiotic comment.

lbj23clutch
He's basically giving Sessions the James Harden role, when he comes off the bench as basically the main playmaker and scoring threat that can create an own shot with the second string guys. It's actually smart because this makes the bench more dynamic and less prone to giving up leads when the starter's come out. As long as Sessions get starter minutes and Blake's minutes are reduced then I wouldn't worry about it.

RazorBaLade
03-17-2012, 10:08 PM
If you don't "see the point" that it is crazy to insinuate that every player who has ever come off of the bench isn't a vital part of the roster simply because they aren't on the floor when tipoff happens, there is no point in discussing it.

You are probably right, though.... You know Sessions strengths on a roster better than me.

yo why is his name pronounced ramahn? Theres an o. RAMON as Ramoan. But the announcers were saying its ramahn. What is the deal?

skaterbasist
03-17-2012, 10:13 PM
Well, I guess that's one way to improve the bench. :confusedshrug:

Mr. I'm So Rad
03-17-2012, 10:14 PM
yo why is his name pronounced ramahn? Theres an o. RAMON as Ramoan. But the announcers were saying its ramahn. What is the deal?

Have you ever seen it pronounced "Pokemoan"? No it's "Pokemahn". Same rules apply

konex
03-17-2012, 10:15 PM

I have not watched much Cavs since LeBron left but Sessions' numbers as a starter are great. As for the Lakers, everything he brings to the table is EXACTLY what we've been missing from Fisher/Blake (Penetration, fastbreak game, reliable scoring). He even has a better 3p% than Blake this year!

There is ZERO rationale for not putting Sessions in the starting lineup beginning tomorrow

RRR3
03-17-2012, 10:18 PM
The anti-Kobe, if you will.
You hate on Kobe more than any other Lakers fan on ISh! :lol

longtime lurker
03-17-2012, 10:21 PM
Blake sucks. Why keep him in the starting lineup?

RazorBaLade
03-17-2012, 10:22 PM
Have you ever seen it pronounced "Pokemoan"? No it's "Pokemahn". Same rules apply

Isn't that because its not a regular e?

Image Removed (too big -- broke the page)

has that little ` on top changing the e sound and thus changing the rest. Ramon is just ramon. In the dictionary it says ramons pronounced ra-mohn not ra-mahn.

IGOTGAME
03-17-2012, 10:22 PM
There is ZERO rationale for not putting Sessions in the starting lineup beginning tomorrow

1)he doesn't know the system yet.
2) make him earn it. he isn't cp3.

RedBlackAttack
03-17-2012, 10:23 PM

That is what his parents wanted, I guess? :confusedshrug:

It is definitely pronounced 'Ramahn' though.

KOBEtherealKing
03-17-2012, 10:25 PM
Look at nick collision, he was a backup to cp3. Got traded and then became a starter. OR even jarrett jack, this.players produce big numbers as starters so Sessions needs to start period! He can be a starter while playing with the bench if ppl are saying he will give the bench a boost. Steve should be the leader of the 2nd unit.

konex
03-17-2012, 10:25 PM
1)he doesn't know the system yet.
2) make him earn it. he isn't cp3.

1. Have him learn on the fly. We need him to be up to speed for the postseason
2. Compared to Blake, he might as well be :roll:

Mr. I'm So Rad
03-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Isn't that because its not a regular e?

Image Removed (too big -- broke the page)

has that little ` on top changing the e sound and thus changing the rest. Ramon is just ramon. In the dictionary it says ramons pronounced ra-mohn not ra-mahn.

The whole pokemon thing was a joke I really have no clue.

IGOTGAME
03-17-2012, 10:29 PM
1. Have him learn on the fly. We need him to be up to speed for the postseason
2. Compared to Blake, he might as well be :roll:

1)he can learn off the bench until he earns the starting spot.
2)I'm really excited about Sessions but objectively Sessions isn't a career starter. I don't mind the fact that Brown is gonna make him earn the position.

RedBlackAttack
03-17-2012, 10:32 PM
I'm starting to worry a little bit that Sessions is going to disappoint some people. There are some pretty lofty expectations, as far as I can tell. Maybe a little too lofty. You guys need to turn it down a few notches.

Really nice complimentary player... Probably at his best in a backup role on a really good team.

konex
03-17-2012, 10:32 PM
1)he can learn off the bench until he earns the starting spot.
2)I'm really excited about Sessions but objectively Sessions isn't a career starter. I don't mind the fact that Brown is gonna make him earn the position.

1. That's fine but saying Blake might start indefinitely is what's alarming some Lakers fans
2. True but Blake couldn't beat out Fisher for the starting job and Fish got dumped :hammerhead:

Please don't do a 1-2 reply again. I have OCD and would be tempted to reply as well :roll: :cry:

longtime lurker
03-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Look at nick collision, he was a backup to cp3. Got traded and then became a starter. OR even jarrett jack, this.players produce big numbers as starters so Sessions needs to start period! He can be a starter while playing with the bench if ppl are saying he will give the bench a boost. Steve should be the leader of the 2nd unit.

Didn't know Nick Collison was a PG.

ZenMaster
03-17-2012, 10:34 PM

You don't think there's a difference to backing up cp3 and splitting the minutes with Steve Blake?

People worry so much about who starts, but the rotation would get going 5-6 minutes into the game when your best pg would be coming off the bench like in this scenario. The game is so long and so many different lineups play together, people should be more worried about who finishes the game than who starts.

You can start him or not, might not make a big difference, though I think it will have a overall positive effect on the team him coming in first with some of the 2nd unit players as we have been lacking there.

RedBlackAttack
03-17-2012, 10:35 PM
You don't think there's a difference to backing up cp3 and splitting the minutes with Steve Blake?

People worry so much about who starts, but the rotation would get going 5-6 minutes into the game when your best pg would be coming off the bench like in this scenario. The game is so long and so many different lineups play together, people should be more worried about who finishes the game than who starts.
Exactly. Someone gets it.

This isn't the 8th Grade Junior Varsity team where kids consider being the assigned 'starter' a sign of being alpha. This is about being intelligent with your roster and using guys to maximize their potential.

konex
03-17-2012, 10:35 PM
I'm starting to worry a little bit that Sessions is going to disappoint some people. There are some pretty lofty expectations, as far as I can tell. Maybe a little too lofty. You guys need to turn it down a few notches.

LOL nah. We aren't expecting a savior. We just want competent PG play and a guy who is a threat to score. Sessions will EASILY exceed any lowered expectations Lakers fans have of PG play. Remember, we haven't had a legitimate PG in his prime since NVE and Kobe was a bench player back then! :facepalm

LA_Showtime
03-17-2012, 10:38 PM

Really nice complimentary player... Probably at his best in a backup role on a really good team.

... I just want him to start. I don't care what he averages. You just don't realize how poorly Blake has played at times, or what it feels like to finally have a point guard who can break defenses down and get other people open shots, only to keep him on the bench.

Noof
03-17-2012, 10:38 PM
We traded away D Fish and a 1st round pick JUST to clear the way for Sessions, and now Brown won't even start him.

RedBlackAttack
03-17-2012, 10:42 PM
LOL nah. We aren't expecting a savior. We just want competent PG play and a guy who is a threat to score. Sessions will EASILY exceed any lowered expectations Lakers fans have of PG play. Remember, we haven't had a legitimate PG in his prime since NVE and Kobe was a bench player back then! :facepalm
I don't know... I always sort of felt like Fisher in his prime fit that team pretty well. They didn't need a dynamic or super-athletic scorer at the point back then. They needed pretty much exactly what Fish gave them.

How could you not have love for that guy? He gave his career to LA and it was a pretty good one.

bagelred
03-17-2012, 10:43 PM
It's not a bad idea IF Blake still only gets 16-18 minutes a night while Sessions anchors the bench and finishes out games playing 30+ minutes a night. The bench would be vastly better with Sessions running it and scoring.

:biggums: :kobe::coleman: :lebron: :lebroncry: :crazysam: :yaohappy:

TOUCH MY BODY
03-17-2012, 10:43 PM
Going to hear a lot of "we want Sessions" chants at Staples Center.

konex
03-17-2012, 10:46 PM
I don't know... I always sort of felt like Fisher in his prime fit that team pretty well. They didn't need a dynamic or super-athletic scorer at the point back then. They needed pretty much exactly what Fish gave them.

How could you not have love for that guy? He gave his career to LA and it was a pretty good one.

Fisher in his prime was great. He was not a legitimate PG though (more of a spot-up shooter). He played 14 of his 16 years with LA and started most of them yet never ONCE led the team in assists.

Kobe has always been the PG on this team since Harper and Shaw left

konex
03-17-2012, 10:46 PM
Going to hear a lot of "we want Sessions" chants at Staples Center.

And that's not fair to Blake at all. Mike Brown is being ridiculous here

konex
03-17-2012, 10:49 PM
... I just want him to start. I don't care what he averages. You just don't realize how poorly Blake has played at times, or what it feels like to finally have a point guard who can break defenses down and get other people open shots, only to keep him on the bench.

Only Lakers fans can understand this lol

KOBEtherealKing
03-17-2012, 10:50 PM
Didn't know Nick Collison was a PG.
Lmao what's his first name? Last name is collision though.

ZenMaster
03-17-2012, 10:51 PM

Let me ask you this: have you been satisfied with how the starting 5 has been doing overall as a group?

The thing is with a guy like Blake you might need to "protect" him by playing him with our very best players, need might be the wrong word but maybe you're maximizing the overall potential of the two players combined by playing the weakest with the strongest. Remember that the starting 5 features 3 all-star level players.

I think we can be succesful with either as a starter, but we might be more succesful with him coming off the bench, and that's really what it's all about; being MORE succesful :)

Personally I could imagine him, Goudelock and Barnes wreaking havoc next to Bynum and whoever.

longtime lurker
03-17-2012, 10:52 PM
Lmao what's his first name? Last name is collision though.

Darren lol easy mix up :cheers:

RedBlackAttack
03-17-2012, 10:56 PM
Trust me, I know... We haven't exactly been flush with great PGs over the last decade or so, much of that time spent being one of the elite teams in the league.

From DaJuan Wagner to Kevin Ollie to Eric Snow to Mo Williams....

Those guys encompassed our starters from 2002-10. It was only in the last couple of years where we started to get actual talented PGs and not specialists (Mo) or savvy veterans (Snow).

The offense (any offense) functions at such a higher level with a talented PG and that is the whole reason the mood in Cleveland is so great right now. Kyrie has turned this roster from one of the worst of all-time to being in playoff contention. I know how important a great PG can be.

I just don't want the expectations to get too out-of-control. Sessions is a nice player but much better coming off of the bench. It was like that last year, too, before we had one of the best young 1s in the league. Ramon served much better as BD's backup than he did as the starter earlier in the year.

Some guys are just like that... They fall into the game better by entering during play as opposed to getting things going from the start.

We'll see how it goes. I hope things work out, whatever happens... Even though I probably shouldn't for the sake of the pick that we received from you guys (I actually think that the stipulation on next year's pick was by far the best part of the deal for the Cavs).

RedBlackAttack
03-17-2012, 10:57 PM
Fisher in his prime was great. He was not a legitimate PG though (more of a spot-up shooter). He played 14 of his 16 years with LA and started most of them yet never ONCE led the team in assists.

Kobe has always been the PG on this team since Harper and Shaw left
You don't need a legitimate point guard in the Triangle. In fact, you are probably better off without one.

ZenMaster
03-17-2012, 10:58 PM
We traded away D Fish and a 1st round pick JUST to clear the way for Sessions, and now Brown won't even start him.

This is the kind of thinking that can get in the way of winning basketball, I listened to a podcast yesterday with Abbot and Thorpe? on espn the other day and Thorpe made a great point about this:

Team will do what's right in the eyes of the fans so they can say they tried the "right way" insead of actually focusing what's the best way for the team to be most succesful. This way management doesn't lose face. Though I don't consider the Lakers to be one of the teams with this line of thinking, but that might be changing now with Jim Buss who knows.

IGOTGAME
03-17-2012, 10:59 PM
I got to see more of Sessions. I have seen about 10 games this year and I disagree with some of the Cavs fans, but they have seen more.

RedBlackAttack
03-17-2012, 11:00 PM
I got to see more of Sessions. I have seen about 10 games this year and I disagree with some of the Cavs fans, but they have seen more.
What do you disagree with, in particular? Maybe I can help clear things up.

konex
03-17-2012, 11:02 PM
You don't need a legitimate point guard in the Triangle. In fact, you are probably better off without one.

Maybe so but we're not running the triangle anymore and I'm sick and tired of Kobe having to play PG and SG for this team

talkingconch
03-17-2012, 11:02 PM
doesn't matter, Sessions is going to get the most minutes and he better

otherwise Mitch is on his ass

RedBlackAttack
03-17-2012, 11:05 PM
Maybe so but we're not running the triangle
Yeah, I realize that... Just making a point about why it has been so long since the Lakers have had a legitimate PG. It really hasn't been completely necessary until now.

The championship Bulls teams never really had a great PG, either. BJ Armstrong, John Paxson, Ron Harper...

IGOTGAME
03-17-2012, 11:09 PM
What do you disagree with, in particular? Maybe I can help clear things up.

I checked out Realcavsfans and Im hearing a lot about his bad court vision and tunnel vision. I just haven't seen this in the games that I have watched.

I also hear he is bad at converting layups. I'll admit I'm not really sure either way...

chips93
03-17-2012, 11:10 PM
I checked out Realcavsfans and Im hearing a lot about his bad court vision and tunnel vision. I just haven't seen this in the games that I have watched.

id say his court vision is about average for a starting pg

IGOTGAME
03-17-2012, 11:15 PM
id say his court vision is about average for a starting pg

ok.

so, closer to which one of these guys on the spectrum?

Steve Nash
Andre Miller
Jose Calderon
Kyle Lowry
Derrick Rose
Russel Westbrrok

RedBlackAttack
03-17-2012, 11:18 PM

I also hear he is bad at converting layups. I'll admit I'm not really sure either way...
His court vision is OK. I wouldn't say that it is great and I wouldn't say that it is terrible for a PG.

The tunnel vision thing is definitely a part of his game. When he gets up a head of steam toward the basket, he is looking at getting to the rim... Whereas with Kyrie, for example, he may start a drive, crossover and then lay it off to someone with a better look.

That was probably my biggest complaint with Ramon during his time here. He would occasionally go into "get to the basket" mode when there were better options available.

As for him being a bad finisher, I totally disagree with whoever said that. In fact, I think that is one of his strengths. He is really good at finishing around the rim, especially in transition.

Ramon's strengths are his straight-line speed and ability to finish at the basket.

His weaknesses are his occasionally reliance too much on getting to the basket and his inability to stop and change direction if his initial lane is closed.

His court vision is OK. His outside shooting is OK (though it can be a little inconsistent).

RedBlackAttack
03-17-2012, 11:20 PM
ok.

so, closer to which one of these guys on the spectrum?

Steve Nash
Andre Miller
Jose Calderon
Kyle Lowry
Derrick Rose
Russel Westbrrok
He is really nothing like Nash. I'd put Steve on the other end of the spectrum. He's not much like Miller, either, who is maybe at his best in the post (odd for a PG).

I'd hate to compare him to Rose or Westbrook, but he is more in that mold than the great facilitating company.

MJ(Mean John)
03-18-2012, 03:15 AM
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7703157/los-angeles-lakers-mike-brown-says-steve-blake-start-ramon-sessions-foreseeable-future

Is this guy on drugs?

That's a stupid question to ask..:facepalm

I'm on drugs and wouldn't ask that. Lol

bluechox2
03-18-2012, 03:22 AM
one game of sessions and he will reconsider

All Net
03-18-2012, 04:14 AM
Blake knows the system so I can see why brown says that now but as long as sessions finishes games and plays plenty of minutes that's the main thing.

I get the feeling brown is saying this just out of respect for Blake.

AMISTILLILL
03-18-2012, 04:18 AM
one game of sessions and he will reconsider

Sessions played last night.

knightfall88
03-18-2012, 09:21 AM
Yeah, I realize that... Just making a point about why it has been so long since the Lakers have had a legitimate PG. It really hasn't been completely necessary until now.

The championship Bulls teams never really had a great PG, either. BJ Armstrong, John Paxson, Ron Harper...

Ron Harper is a great PG. He wouldnt be in the Deron, Rose, CP3 tier but he's definitely in the next tier if he played today.

bleedinpurpleTwo
03-18-2012, 10:02 AM
you people are nuts.
Blake is the incumbent. He knows the offense. He knows the defensive rotations. He knows the strengths, spots of his teammates.
He has been playing well. Solid D.
You dont just hand the starting gig to someone new. Make them earn it.

Eric Cartman
03-18-2012, 10:37 AM

Is this fo show? Wow...

32jazz
03-18-2012, 11:47 AM
Exactly. Someone gets it.

This isn't the 8th Grade Junior Varsity team where kids consider being the assigned 'starter' a sign of being alpha. This is about being intelligent with your roster and using guys to maximize their potential.

Both you & zenmaster articulated my earlier sentiments better than myself.

Minutes played & how one is used in the rotation are more important than who 'starts'.

Havlicek didn't 'start' his first 7 or 8 seasons, but played more minutes per game than most everyone except Bill Russell for many of those seasons.

That's why I always thought calling Havlicek or Ginoblii 'sixth men' is a bit misleading/fraudulent.

BlazersDozen
03-18-2012, 01:06 PM

LMFAO

LA_Showtime
03-18-2012, 01:30 PM
you people are nuts.
Blake is the incumbent. He knows the offense. He knows the defensive rotations. He knows the strengths, spots of his teammates.
He has been playing well. Solid D.
You dont just hand the starting gig to someone new. Make them earn it.

Blake couldn't separate himself from Fisher and now he's all but a guaranteed starter? Give me a break. No one else on this team has the ability to consistently break down defenses off the dribble, not even Kobe.

All Net
03-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Blake couldn't separate himself from Fisher and now he's all but a guaranteed starter? Give me a break. No one else on this team has the ability to consistently break down defenses off the dribble, not even Kobe.

Yep and Sessions did it twice with ease on friday....imagine what he does when he gets used to the system.

Bosnian Sajo
03-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Honestly its not even a big deal, as long as Sessions gets his minutes we will be fine. Coming off the bench wont kill em.

Whoah10115
03-18-2012, 01:59 PM
May I reiterate.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

bleedinpurpleTwo
03-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Yes, he DID separate himself from Fisher. Thats why you saw Blake being the first player off the bench and STILL playing bulk of 4th quarter. I would not be surprised if Blake was averaging more minutes. Further, Fisher is the one they traded, not Blake. What does that tell you?

LA_Showtime
03-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Yes, he DID separate himself from Fisher. Thats why you saw Blake being the first player off the bench and STILL playing bulk of 4th quarter. I would not be surprised if Blake was averaging more minutes. Further, Fisher is the one they traded, not Blake. What does that tell you?

Blake has barely outplayed Fisher in his tenure with the Lakers. He wasn't a good fit in the triangle and while he's played better this year, he's still struggled, a lot. He's a solid player who can occasionally hit open shots. That's it.

Our weakness, other than health, has been our inability to get into the paint and either force the big men to help or kick out for open looks. We finally have a point guard who's capable of doing that and suddenly Blake's all but a guaranteed the starting position? That's plain stupid.

I'm not saying that Sessions has to start, but to even make a comment like that shows what type of coach Brown is. He's an idiot.

PHaYze
03-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Steve Blake is just a different kinda dude. He's always been scrappy, he loves to give as much as he does to receive, he's good with his hands, his only problem seems to be that he's lost some of his fire, he doesn't take control like he once did. At times it's like he's disinterested, he doesn't care that you want it.

Eat Like A Bosh
03-18-2012, 02:40 PM
Mike Brown doesn't even have the balls to bench Fisher! Just shows you what kind of coach he is.

KeyNote
03-18-2012, 02:48 PM
If blake throws up another goose egg I'm sure this will all change by the time we face houston and dallas this week

AMISTILLILL
03-18-2012, 02:56 PM
I would trust Sessions over Blake to run my offense 7 days a week and twice on Sunday, even without watching any tape or practicing. That's not even a testament to Sessions abilities, it's a testament to how god awful Blake is.

Brown is out of his gourd.

longtime lurker
03-18-2012, 02:59 PM
I don't know how a coach wouldn't want his best point guard to build chemistry with his starting lineup. I mean if Mike Brown is looking to have Sessions come off the bench as a scorer then he's a bigger moron than I gave him credit for. I don't see what's wrong with what the Lakers have been doing keeping Bynum as the focus of the second unit. Sessions needs to build chemistry with the starting lineup and find out where certain players like to get the ball.

Doranku
03-18-2012, 03:14 PM
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

irondarts
03-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Who cares if Blake starts. Not about who starts but who finishes on the floor anyway. If Ramon is still getting 30+ minutes a game then who cares.

BallsOut
03-18-2012, 03:19 PM
If you think about it, this may be a good move. Blake is an upgrade over Fisher at starting PG. Sessions is familiar with this role since he's been in the league and can add 10+ points coming off the Lakers bench (worst in the NBA in scoring). So by adding Sessions, the Lakers may have addressed both PG + Bench production problems. Forget who starts, I want the best guy playing to finish the game, whether that be Blake or Sessions. Both of them seem like professional high character guys so I think they'll be fine.

KeyNote
03-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Jim & Mitch made this trade for sessions to be the starter, future and current..if blake starts the first few games no problem...the rest of the season though?..might be mike brown's first and last season as coach of the lakers..he knows it..no worries, sessions will eventually start and get bulk minutes

Eric Cartman
03-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Jim & Mitch made this trade for sessions to be the starter, future and current..if blake starts the first few games no problem...the rest of the season though?..might be mike brown's first and last season as coach of the lakers..he knows it..no worries, sessions will eventually start and get bulk minutes

This. They aren't rushing him to start right away. Learn the system, get a little chemistry & it will be all good in the playoffs. He starting eventually. :dancin

DirtySanchez
03-18-2012, 03:45 PM
I guess this means no Arenas

LA_Showtime
03-18-2012, 03:52 PM
:oldlol: @ Brown did it to boost Blake's confidence. He's been a backup to a player who wouldn't be a ****ing BACKUP on most teams. That alone probably killed his confidence.

irondarts
03-18-2012, 03:54 PM
This doesn't have to do with this thread, but can a Lakers fan tell what happened with signing Rasheed Wallace? I thought they had signed him, what happened?

chauzer
03-18-2012, 04:19 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

MJ(Mean John)
03-18-2012, 04:26 PM
This doesn't have to do with this thread, but can a Lakers fan tell what happened with signing Rasheed Wallace? I thought they had signed him, what happened?

I dont even know. lol
With adding Jordan Hill, I guess thats out the door.

DKLaker
03-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Why would he even say that? What an idiot.

I keep telling the guys in the Lakers forum that Brown is a fking moron......this is just more proof!!!!

Noof
03-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Supposedly Rasheed Wallace's camp were the ones who started that rumor. :rolleyes: Probably was never gonna happen.

MJ(Mean John)
03-18-2012, 04:35 PM
I keep telling the guys in the Lakers forum that Brown is a fking moron......this is just more proof!!!!

I'm saying. I NEVER liked the singing. The only good thing is that we are a better defensive team. But we always had the tools to be. So, yeah.

on offense tho, we arent winning any games. lol That's why we have SO MUCH TROUBLE on the road. The offense is basically a pick up game with guys who have years playing together.

jbryan1984
03-18-2012, 06:59 PM
I always thought Sessions was better off the bench for the Cavs. He gave a lot of energy with the second unit.

Extempo
03-18-2012, 07:07 PM
Sessions BETTER be starting soon...like within the next week.

White Mamba
03-18-2012, 07:08 PM

Is this guy on drugs?

NO, BUT MAYBE IF HE USE DRUGS HE WILL MAKE GOOD CHOICES:facepalm

RedBlackAttack
03-18-2012, 07:14 PM
Catching up a bit...

Ron Harper is a great PG. He wouldnt be in the Deron, Rose, CP3 tier but he's definitely in the next tier if he played today.
Ron Harper wasn't a natural point guard. He was a very, very good player, but not a PG. Before he joined the Bulls and back in his Cavs days, he was actually a SG/SF combo and those were his absolute best years. The guy is 6-foot-6.

Great player. Not a true point guard by any stretch. He was only able to play the position by virtue of the Triangle and being extremely versatile.

If he played today, he would be exactly what he was in his Cavs days... A very good SG/SF combo.

rhythmic
03-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Catching up a bit...

Ron Harper wasn't a natural point guard. He was a very, very good player, but not a PG. Before he joined the Bulls and back in his Cavs days, he was actually a SG/SF combo and those were his absolute best years. The guy is 6-foot-6.

Great player. Not a true point guard by any stretch. He was only able to play the position by virtue of the Triangle and being extremely versatile.

If he played today, he would be exactly what he was in his Cavs days... A very good SG/SF combo.

Ron was a phenomenal player in Cleveland before his knees gave out on him. One of those great talents whose career could have been a lot more impressive. One of my all-time favorite Cav players.

23 PPG, 5 APG, 5 RPG, 2.55 SPG, 1.00 BPG his rookie season...that's an incredible statline.

RedBlackAttack
03-18-2012, 08:39 PM
[QUOTE=rhythmic

AMISTILLILL
03-18-2012, 08:45 PM
I guess this means no Arenas

:oldlol:

Arenas stopped being an option for LA over a month ago. Why do people keep talking about this?

ZenMaster
03-18-2012, 10:16 PM
Let me ask you this: have you been satisfied with how the starting 5 has been doing overall as a group?

The thing is with a guy like Blake you might need to "protect" him by playing him with our very best players, need might be the wrong word but maybe you're maximizing the overall potential of the two players combined by playing the weakest with the strongest. Remember that the starting 5 features 3 all-star level players.

I think we can be succesful with either as a starter, but we might be more succesful with him coming off the bench, and that's really what it's all about; being MORE succesful :)

Personally I could imagine him, Goudelock and Barnes wreaking havoc next to Bynum and whoever.

Lakers are looking good!
:cheers:

RedBlackAttack
03-18-2012, 11:27 PM
This Lakers team has won five straight games, sits in 3rd place in the stacked West just 1 game back of 2nd and 5 games out of 1st, is seemingly playing their best basketball of the season right now (peaking at the right time) and they are playing better defense than they have in years...

And it is nothing but bashing of Mike Brown in every thread that I open. I realize he has deficiencies as a coach and with the press that some people used to Phil Jackson may have a difficult time accepting, but he hasn't done a bad job thus far with a team that most people thought was past its prime coming into this season.

Geez people. Brutally harsh.

longtime lurker
03-19-2012, 12:14 AM
Blake-26 mins, 0 points, 2 assists

Sessions-22 mins, 10 pts, 6 assists

Who should be starting again? Sessions should be getting min 30 minutes a game

Whoah10115
03-19-2012, 12:30 AM
Did I ever mention:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Mr. Jabbar
03-19-2012, 12:33 AM
Lakers bench had more issues than the starting 5, sessions is good off the bench but needs to get more mins than blake. play some of it with the starters too. Blake showing us all he truly deserved the bench over fisher.

ZenMaster
03-19-2012, 12:35 AM
Blake-26 mins, 0 points, 2 assists

Sessions-22 mins, 10 pts, 6 assists

Who should be starting again? Sessions should be getting min 30 minutes a game

I like Blake starting, but Sessions should be playing 30 and finishing the game.

The thing is the first 4-6 minutes of 80% of Laker games we go through Bynum in the post and we have done that for what 2-4 years? It's not going to change, it works and usually gets Bynum going in the game, stick with a good thing you know.

Sessions is a lot more valuable when he's handling the ball and making plays, he changed the game along with the bench today, Kobe was the only one on the Lakers who didn't do what he was supposed to today.

longtime lurker
03-19-2012, 12:40 AM
I like Blake starting, but Sessions should be playing 30 and finishing the game.

The thing is the first 4-6 minutes of 80% of Laker games we go through Bynum in the post and we have done that for what 2-4 years? It's not going to change, it works and usually gets Bynum going in the game, stick with a good thing you know.

Sessions is a lot more valuable when he's handling the ball and making plays, he changed the game along with the bench today, Kobe was the only one on the Lakers who didn't do what he was supposed to today.

I don't like Blake starting, why? Because it's obvious he contributes absolutely nothing to the starting lineup. Do you think with Sessions starting the Lakers have 10 turnovers in the 1st quarter? Session starts and that means that every starter on the team has to work less harder to get their points. Which means less turnovers and a better shooting %. Blake should stay in the second unit that's centered around getting Bynum the ball when he can hit 3 point shots, keep turnovers to a minimum and push the ball for the occasional fast break. The only reason Sessions has been a bench player his career is because he's had better players starting ahead of him, it's an insult that an obviously inferior player is getting the starting nod.

konex
03-19-2012, 12:44 AM
I just don't get it. We finally have a guy who can make life easier for Kobe and we refuse to start him

ZenMaster
03-19-2012, 12:52 AM
I don't like Blake starting, why? Because it's obvious he contributes absolutely nothing to the starting lineup. Do you think with Sessions starting the Lakers have 10 turnovers in the 1st quarter? Session starts and that means that every starter on the team has to work less harder to get their points. Which means less turnovers and a better shooting %. Blake should stay in the second unit that's centered around getting Bynum the ball when he can hit 3 point shots, keep turnovers to a minimum and push the ball for the occasional fast break. The only reason Sessions has been a bench player his career is because he's had better players starting ahead of him, it's an insult that an obviously inferior player is getting the starting nod.

Would Kobe stop driving the ball with Sessions on the court instead of Blake?

Would Bynum not get the ball ISO in the post with Session on the court instead of Blake?

I just don't think we change our gameplan for the first 6 minutes, which is always the same, because we put Sessions on the court instead of Blake. Lakers just doesn't push the ball and do pickn'rolls at the start of games, they look to get the 3 all-stars going.

I know Blake hasn't shoot well this year but he's a career sniper, and he provides spacing for the Bynum ISO's.

Like I said, everyone did their part tonight except for Mike Brown for not putting in Sessions for the last 4 minutes of the game, and Kobe for having one of the worst games you'll ever see from an all-time great. 2-20 and 7 turnovers :eek: Hopefully that is a one time thing and we're starting to look very good going into the playoffs.

RazorBaLade
03-19-2012, 12:58 AM
Would Kobe stop driving the ball with Sessions on the court instead of Blake?

Would Bynum not get the ball ISO in the post with Session on the court instead of Blake?

I just don't think we change our gameplan for the first 6 minutes, which is always the same, because we put Sessions on the court instead of Blake. Lakers just doesn't push the ball and do pickn'rolls at the start of games, they look to get the 3 all-stars going.

I know Blake hasn't shoot well this year but he's a career sniper, and he provides spacing for the Bynum ISO's.

Like I said, everyone did their part tonight except for Mike Brown for not putting in Sessions for the last 4 minutes of the game, and Kobe for having one of the worst games you'll ever see from an all-time great. 2-20 and 7 turnovers :eek: Hopefully that is a one time thing and we're starting to look very good going into the playoffs.

yeah when sessions was on the floor kobe was giving him a lot of control and sessions was finding dudes... sessions was +1, blake was -9!!

Whoah10115
03-19-2012, 01:03 AM
I just don't get it. We finally have a guy who can make life easier for Kobe and we refuse to start him

Didn't you hear, the 2nd unit needs him. He needs the ball too much.

Or, as I like to say:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

ZenMaster
03-19-2012, 01:05 AM
yeah when sessions was on the floor kobe was giving him a lot of control and sessions was finding dudes... sessions was +1, blake was -9!!

We're talking for the first 6 minutes of the games, I'm all for him playing +30 minutes and finishing out the games. But the Lakers play a very specific way for the first 6 minutes of their games and have for a long time, I don't know why people are overlooking this aspect and I just don't see Sessions changing that as we're usually succesfull getting Bynum, Kobe and Pau going that way, but tonight Bynum traveled a bunch of times at the start of the game and Kobe could hold on to the ball when he penetrated.
1st quarter defense was great though and kept LA in the game.

Oh and how do you think the bench would do the first time they come in with Blake instead of Sessions. If you need to find out just watch every game this year pre-Sessions. It was horrible.

Reverend Hoops
03-21-2012, 10:47 PM
Good call Mike Brown.

RRR3
03-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Mike Brown: Derrrrrrrrr.......