PDA

View Full Version : How is Irving better at penetrating than more athletic PGs?

Derivative
03-23-2012, 02:17 AM
I think one of the biggest misconceptions of Kyrie Irving is that he's just a jumpshooter, which could be anymore wrong. Kyrie scores majority of his points on penetration and layups, and all his game winners come as layups.

THe question is how is Irving able to penetrate so effect despite not being as fast and athletic as other PGs such as rose, westbrook, and wall?

RedBlackAttack
03-23-2012, 02:25 AM
I think one of the biggest misconceptions of Kyrie Irving is that he's just a jumpshooter, which could be anymore wrong. Kyrie scores majority of his points on penetration and layups, and all his game winners come as layups.

THe question is how is Irving able to penetrate so effect despite not being as fast and athletic as other PGs such as rose, westbrook, and wall?
Athleticism is about more than straight-line speed, leaping ability and size. It is about balance, dexterity, quickness in change-of-direction and being able to use either hand with equal prowess.

How can you see Kyrie's handles and not realize how athletic he is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBdFj3iPEvA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dLWmi7GobA

^^^That is Russell Westbrook he is blowing by.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFiIiypFQKw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj66SuIg6tg

The guy's athleticism is extremely underrated. People just get caught up in how big and fast (in a straight-line) guys are and how high they can jump.

There is A LOT more to athleticism than that. And, there is A LOT more to basketball and being a great point guard than just athleticism.

cavsfanatic
03-23-2012, 02:27 AM
He's athletic but doesn't have the super jumping skills. He's good at getting to the rim because he uses both hands

noob cake
03-23-2012, 02:29 AM
His handle is filthy even compared to even most NBA PG. Can't weave through NBA defense if your handle is bad.

RedBlackAttack
03-23-2012, 02:36 AM
Couple of sweet moves against the Nets down the stretch from a couple of nights ago...

Here he is with a sick drive, fake pass into a floater...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hj270f7kqs#t=5m30

Here is a play that was called a travel, but was just an incredibly sick crossover...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hj270f7kqs#t=8m19

And, here is the play that sealed the game... Went around then through Deron Williams...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hj270f7kqs#t=9m10

All in a matter of a couple of minutes at the end of the game. Are you telling me these aren't incredibly athletic plays?

flipogb
03-23-2012, 02:42 AM
footwork, probably the best of all PGs imo

Kingwillball
03-23-2012, 02:51 AM
No Shock Watched him play at ST. Pats HS a couple years ago a few times and he was the best Player on the Team that Included Michael Kidd Gilchrist and on the Court at all times against a National Schedule . He was DOMINANT on the HS Level, at Duke for half a season and Know continuing in the NBA. Thing about Irving is he just makes it look so Easy and Effortless even at the NBA level for a 19 yr old kid pretty damn impressive. I remember there were ALOT of naysayers when he was picked #1 overall but he is Proving he is Well worth the Pick and proving alot of people on this Message board Wrong.

blacknapalm
03-23-2012, 03:04 AM
other people have summarized it pretty well...it boils down to his handle and footwork. he has a deceptive first step, a hesitation dribble, a crossover and a spin move that he's making his own (or at least a major go to move). he also shields the ball with his body by 'dragging' the ball a bit. he might not have the insane leaping ability and body control but he makes up for it by taking smart angles and finishing with either hand

noob cake
03-23-2012, 03:17 AM
other people have summarized it pretty well...it boils down to his handle and footwork. he has a deceptive first step, a hesitation dribble, a crossover and a spin move that he's making his own (or at least a major go to move). he also shields the ball with his body by 'dragging' the ball a bit. he might not have the insane leaping ability and body control but he makes up for it by taking smart angles and finishing with either hand

Na, he has insane body control.

He just doesn't have the insane leaping ability and explosiveness of Rose.

1987_Lakers
03-23-2012, 03:17 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a 19 year old as skilled as Irving (Think he turns 20 today). His ball handling is amazing, he is already a lights out shooter, and he has the ability to score in the paint.

bdreason
03-23-2012, 03:30 AM
Efficient body movement.

ClipperRevival
06-24-2016, 09:47 PM
It's called "game." Plain and simple. He was born with it. One of the GOAT iso scorers ever.

KiiiiNG
06-24-2016, 09:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dLWmi7GobA

^^^That is Russell Westbrook he is blowing by.

blowing by? :lol

Awesomedoers
06-24-2016, 09:57 PM
He uses lube.

plowking
06-24-2016, 10:47 PM
There aren't many more athletic PG's than Kyrie.

Dude is agile as hell, and one of the quickest in the league. Just doesn't jump the highest.

CTbasketball92
06-24-2016, 11:05 PM
The whole "kyrie is unathletic" thing never made much sense to me, i think people said it because they were comparing him to rose, wall and westbrook. Based on things i see game to game, if i didn't see wall in the dunk contest and wa
tch his highlight tapes, I wouldn't even necessarily say he was more athletic. Kyrie has one of the quickest first steps I've seen honestly, and he's so agile and gets around defenders so cleanly that I think it might actually prevent him from getting to the freethrow line a ton. His body control is also easily Kobe level, and his change of direction is NFL skilled player level. His vertical doesn't look incredible, but it's probably about 35-37 inches, which is solid. Also,

https://youtu.be/nT2CNxxNQs0?t=2m5s

Easy windmill off the backboard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdJLFTOVm8M

Strong tomahawk off the backboard.

GoatBoy
06-25-2016, 12:02 AM
There aren't many more athletic PG's than Kyrie.

Dude is agile as hell, and one of the quickest in the league. Just doesn't jump the highest.
The term "athletic PG" has been skewed by the likes of Westbrook, rose, wall, etc. But make no mistake about it, it takes serious athleticism to pull off the exceptional footwork, body control, and finishing ability that Kyrie displays.

Prime_Shaq
06-25-2016, 12:20 AM
His craftiness shouldn't be overlooked as well. Dude just knows every small hole in the defense he can get into.

CuterThanRubio
06-25-2016, 12:22 AM
Which PG's are you speaking of?

Westbrook is the only guy I can think of being more athletic with comparable skills, but the answer is obvious, Kyrie's handle is top notch and he knows how to use screens, how else do you penetrate?

plowking
06-25-2016, 12:23 AM
The term "athletic PG" has been skewed by the likes of Westbrook, rose, wall, etc. But make no mistake about it, it takes serious athleticism to pull off the exceptional footwork, body control, and finishing ability that Kyrie displays.

I'm one of Wall's biggest fans, and I truly believe he is on the level of Irving and pre injury Rose, but he doesn't have anywhere near the lateral movement of Kyrie. Rose either.

GoatBoy
06-25-2016, 12:34 AM
I'm one of Wall's biggest fans, and I truly believe he is on the level of Irving and pre injury Rose, but he doesn't have anywhere near the lateral movement of Kyrie. Rose either.
The main thing Wall has going for him is that he is EXTREMELY fast with the ball in his hands and has very good court vision. The amount of assists he racks up while passing to the likes of Gortat and Beal is pretty astonishing.

Irving on the other hand is just so damn crafty and clever with the ball, and has a score first mentality. His playmaking ability will develop with experience, and he has shown this postseason that he can strap up. I don't think it's unrealistic to say that Irving could be a top 5 PG of all time by the end of his career.