PDA

View Full Version : Shaq: "I'd average 85 on Wilt, then and now"

Deuce Bigalow
03-26-2012, 04:51 PM
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=qrQpAAAAIBAJ&sjid=jPEDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6610,2712911&dq

"Wilt can kiss my ass"
May 12, 1997

:applause: destroyed

dunksby
03-26-2012, 04:52 PM
inb4 shitstorm AKA jlauber's adult diaper cannon!

bmulls
03-26-2012, 04:54 PM
inb4 shitstorm AKA jlauber's adult diaper cannon!

Over or under on a 5000 word essay?

Sarcastic
03-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Well it must be true, since Shaq said it.

Whoah10115
03-26-2012, 04:57 PM
So Deuce posted something Shaq said 15years ago, that says absolutely nothing about anything?

Gheorge Muresan was not ever gonna be better than Shaq, tho Wilt is right in saying he had better touch around the rim. That guy had touch, if not much else.

Shaq wouldn't put up numbers as good as Wilt did.

Shaq thinks people should be mentors, but he's still on Dwight being his own man. How about Shaq not be a bitch?

Chamberlain is 100% correct. Shaq gets away with murder. It's like the Bynum elbow at the end of the Grizzlies game last night...Bynum got called for a walk, but it was a foul. Shaq did that on every play, along with a shoulder, and much higher up on the defender's body.

Lastly, you're a loser my friend. Don't think it as anything else. And save the clever comeback you have stored up on your hard drive. You're a bit of a loser. And thankfully, I shall ignore :bowdown:

Deuce Bigalow
03-26-2012, 04:59 PM
So Deuce posted something Shaq said 15years ago, that says absolutely nothing about anything?

Gheorge Muresan was not ever gonna be better than Shaq, tho Wilt is right in saying he had better touch around the rim. That guy had touch, if not much else.

Shaq wouldn't put up numbers as good as Wilt did.

Shaq thinks people should be mentors, but he's still on Dwight being his own man. How about Shaq not be a bitch?

Chamberlain is 100% correct. Shaq gets away with murder. It's like the Bynum elbow at the end of the Grizzlies game last night...Bynum got called for a walk, but it was a foul. Shaq did that on every play, along with a shoulder, and much higher up on the defender's body.

Lastly, you're a loser my friend. Don't think it as anything else. And save the clever comeback you have stored up on your hard drive. You're a bit of a loser. And thankfully, I shall ignore :bowdown:
:oldlol:

bmulls
03-26-2012, 05:01 PM
Deuce, on a scale of 1 to 10 how much do you enjoy trolling jlauber?

Deuce Bigalow
03-26-2012, 05:03 PM
Deuce, on a scale of 1 to 10 how much do you enjoy trolling jlauber?

Kblaze8855
03-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Do you have any reason for this aside from getting a 2400 word response you arent going to read before you start the same argument you have been having for months? Just wondering....

rodman91
03-26-2012, 05:09 PM
I agree with Wilt. Shaq usually got away with offensive fouls. If you don't believe, watch 2001 finals. He was smashing Mutombo's face to create space.

Muresan example was another exaggeration by Wilt.After all he is the guy that ****ed 20000 women and throwed off a mountain lion.

Dictator
03-26-2012, 05:23 PM

:oldlol:

Disaprine
03-26-2012, 05:34 PM
:coleman:

SpecialQue
03-26-2012, 05:37 PM
I loved the dickish way that section ended. "I'm glad I know who my real friends are," and the paper says "Yeah. The referees."

CelticBaller
03-26-2012, 05:38 PM
I loved the dickish way that section ended. "I'm glad I know who my real friends are," and the paper says "Yeah. The referees."
:lol

Disaprine
03-26-2012, 05:40 PM
:coleman:

NumberSix
03-26-2012, 06:27 PM
Shaq couldn't drop 85 on Rik Smits, but he could do it on Wilt? Lol. Fck outta here.

BlueandGold
03-26-2012, 06:31 PM
lol Wilt: "As they call fouls today, Shaq gets away with what I would consider murder"

MichaelCheazley
03-26-2012, 06:34 PM
lol Wilt: "As they call fouls today, Shaq gets away with what I would consider murder"
If he considers that murder then i guess him fighting a lion with his bare hands was probably him petting some domesticated cat. inb4 THERE WERE EYE WITNESSES!!!!

Asukal
03-26-2012, 06:34 PM
Gaylauber will come here and bombard everyone with his essays. FACT! :lol

RoseCity07
03-26-2012, 06:49 PM
What if Shaq had to play by the same rules...including the 3 seconds rule which Shaq has never had to consider.

SpecialQue
03-26-2012, 06:50 PM
Nothing but a pissing contest between two athletes. Who gives a shit?

CavaliersFTW
03-26-2012, 07:50 PM
If he considers that murder then i guess him fighting a lion with his bare hands was probably him petting some domesticated cat. inb4 THERE WERE EYE WITNESSES!!!!
He had boxing gloves on.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ON-mmC6g0IY/T2lLsZ3f7HI/AAAAAAAADRU/Hp7QMyoa5CI/s640/Wilt%2520Lion.jpg

Whoah10115
03-26-2012, 07:52 PM
What if Shaq had to play by the same rules...including the 3 seconds rule which Shaq has never had to consider.

lol

jb220
03-26-2012, 07:54 PM
There's a reason Wilt is dead and Shaq is on TNT

jlauber
03-26-2012, 11:16 PM
Shaq couldn't drop 85 on Rik Smits, but he could do it on Wilt? Lol. Fck outta here.

Shaq did put up a 61 point game against the "three-headed monster" of the great bust Michael Olowokandi (who played 14 minutes); the powerful Pete Chilcutt (19 minutes); and then mopped up against the 6-7 Eric Piatkowski. And Shaq played 45 minutes in that game, in a 123-103 rout against the 12-48 Clippers.

BTW, Chamberlain had a 73-36 game against 6-11 HOFer Walt Bellamy (one of THREE 60+ point games against him...and in a TEN game SEASON in which he averaged 52.7 ppg against Bellamy), as well as a 62 point game against Russell.

Incidently, how did Shaq fare against the great Eddy Curry in their 13 career H2H's?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=curryed01&p2=onealsh01

Pretty much looks like a wash to me.

But, yes, he would easily have scored 85 points on a prime Chamberlain...

Deuce Bigalow
03-26-2012, 11:18 PM
Shaq did put up a 61 point game against the "three-headed monster" of the great bust Michael Olowokandi (who played 14 minutes); the powerful Pete Chilcutt (19 minutes); and then mopped up against the 6-7 Eric Piatkowski. And Shaq played 45 minutes in that game, in a 123-103 rout against the 12-48 Clippers.

BTW, Chamberlain had a 73-36 game against 6-11 HOFer Walt Bellamy (one of THREE 60+ point games against him...and in a TEN game SEASON in which he averaged 52.7 ppg against Bellamy), as well as a 62 point game against Russell.

Incidently, how did Shaq fare against the great Eddy Curry in their 13 career H2H's?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=curryed01&p2=onealsh01

Pretty much looks like a wash to me.

But, yes, he would easily have scored 85 points on a prime Chamberlain...
Wilt played against 6'8" centers in his prime that didn't even weigh 230

0 players over 7ft, 230 lbs in his time

100 points gainst a 6'6" white guy, let me say that again, 6 foot 6 inches center

Deuce Bigalow
03-26-2012, 11:21 PM
Imagine 6'8" 200 lbs centers on Shaq.....:oldlol:
And the best player in the league was 6'9" 220 lbs center...

jlauber
03-26-2012, 11:42 PM

If you would have read my entire (and very short) post just above...Shaq was guarded by a 6-7 Eric Piatkowski for some solid minutes in his career high 61 point game.

He was outrebounded by the 6-7 Ben Wallace in the '04 Finals.

And, I believe he went H2H against the 6-6 Chuck Hayes a few years back.

As for Wilt...once again, a 73 point game (with 36 rebounds) against 6-11 Walt Bellamy, who would have been a seven-footer in Shaq's NBA.

He also poured in 72 and 67 points (among his SEVERAL 60+ games against him) against 6-11 Leroy Ellis.

He had MULTIPLE 50+ games against BOTH the 7-0 Walter Dukes and the 7-3 Swede Halbrook.

I could go on for hours about ALL of the players that Chamberlain just MURDERED in his career.

bwink23
03-26-2012, 11:45 PM

6'7" 225-230 pound Dennis Rodman always gave Shaq fits..

Deuce Bigalow
03-26-2012, 11:45 PM
If you would have read my entire (and very short) post just above...Shaq was guarded by a 6-7 Eric Piatkowski for some solid minutes in his career high 61 point game.

He was outrebounded by the 6-7 Ben Wallace in the '04 Finals.

And, I believe he went H2H against the 6-6 Chuck Hayes a few years back.

As for Wilt...once again, a 73 point game (with 36 rebounds) against 6-11 Walt Bellamy, who would have been a seven-footer in Shaq's NBA.

He also poured in 72 and 67 points (among his SEVERAL 60+ games against him) against 6-11 Leroy Ellis.

He had MULTIPLE 50+ games against BOTH the 7-0 Walter Dukes and the 7-3 Swede Halbrook.

I could go on for hours about ALL of the players that Chamberlain just MURDERED in his career.
You cherrypiked the few tall guys there was :lol If that is even tall? 6'11 to a 7'1" guy...

jlauber
03-26-2012, 11:48 PM
You cherrypiked the few tall guys there was :lol If that is even tall? 6'11 to a 7'1" guy...

Of course, when Shaq went up against a guy even remotely close to his weight, in Eddy Curry, he managed to outscore him, per game 16-13, in 13 career H2H's, and was outshot by Curry, .533 to .529.

Deuce Bigalow
03-26-2012, 11:51 PM
"Wilt can kiss my ass. I'd average 85 on Wilt, then and now"

Now quit posting dumb stuff. Wilt played in a weak era, we already know.

Let us talk about Shaq putting the beatdown on old bitter Wilton

jlauber
03-26-2012, 11:53 PM

BTW, a PRIME Chamberlain, (and even into his 68-69 season) was CRUSHING EVERY center in the league, no matter height, weight, or combination.

And a PRIME Chamberlain was FAR more dominant against MANY of the same centers that a PRIME Kareem would face. Kareem's career high game, in 20 seasons, was 55 points. Chamberlain used to get that many on a BAD night.

CavaliersFTW
03-26-2012, 11:57 PM
:blah

Whoah10115
03-27-2012, 12:11 AM

You realize you just get sucked into this bullshit thread and the only people you're arguing with are people who won't read your posts, even if when you just respond to a direct point they make or question they ask.

jlauber
03-27-2012, 12:19 AM
You realize you just get sucked into this bullshit thread and the only people you're arguing with are people who won't read your posts, even if when you just respond to a direct point they make or question they ask.

I know. It is a bad habit. I am used to "discussing" these topics with mostly knowledgable folks, who at least provide some research into their point of view.

The problem is, idiots like Dunce were around in the SIXTIES for cryingoutloud. I have been fighting this B.S. for decades. And, unfortunately, the casual fan reads something like the crap that that moron posts, and believes it.

Even worse, we have professional writers like Bill Simmons, who never actually researched any of the Russell-Wilt rivalry, and who just LIED thru his teeth in his book. And, I have read those here who quote Simmons' take like it was the Bible.

Deuce Bigalow
03-27-2012, 12:20 AM
I know. It is a bad habit. I am used to "discussing" these topics with mostly knowledgable folks, who at least provide some research into their point of view.

The problem is, idiots like Dunce were around in the SIXTIES for cryingoutloud. I have been fighting this B.S. for decades. And, unfortunately, the casual fan reads something like the crap that that moron posts, and believes it.

Even worse, we have professional writers like Bill Simmons, who never actually researched any of the Russell-Wilt rivalry, and who just LIED thru his teeth in his book. And, I have read those here who quote Simmons' take like it was the Bible.
:oldlol: so mad

Scholar
03-27-2012, 12:56 AM
:oldlol: @ Chamberlain mentioning Muresan. Also, another :oldlol: @ Shaq catching feelings.

This is well over 15 years old, though, so :confusedshrug: . I'm sure Shaq would take that back today simply because Wilt is long gone.

Phong
03-27-2012, 01:14 AM

Even worse, we have professional writers like Bill Simmons, who never actually researched any of the Russell-Wilt rivalry, and who just LIED thru his teeth in his book. And, I have read those here who quote Simmons' take like it was the Bible.Decades trying to preach the gospel of Wilt? What for?

tommyhtc
03-27-2012, 02:23 AM
one thing that I'm quite sure of is that both have gigantic egos...
we saw how insecure wilt was, thanks to wilt fans on this board, we get to know his opinions on how he could drop 70 every game on the weak 90s league, or how MJ would get crushed to pieces in the 60s..

well, we see the same thing in shaq, beating the dead horse over and over again, still bitter about Dwight howard's superman nickname, or how he called himself the Last Dominant center..

CavaliersFTW
03-27-2012, 02:26 AM
one thing that I'm quite sure of is that both have gigantic egos...
we saw how insecure wilt was, thanks to wilt fans on this board, we get to know his opinions on how he could drop 70 every game on the weak 90s league, or how MJ would get crushed to pieces in the 60s..

well, we see the same thing in shaq, beating the dead horse over and over again, still bitter about Dwight howard's superman nickname, or how he called himself the Last Dominant center..

It's already happening, watching TNT is hilarious when Dwight is the topic

poido123
03-27-2012, 02:34 AM
Wilt played against 6'8" centers in his prime that didn't even weigh 230

0 players over 7ft, 230 lbs in his time

100 points gainst a 6'6" white guy, let me say that again, 6 foot 6 inches center

Burnt Jlauber's soul to the core right there...

A 6'6 Centre really?? :roll: :lol :oldlol:

If that is in fact true, he was basically racking up points on a guard/SF. Makes his 100 point effort not so remarkable.

tommyhtc
03-27-2012, 02:44 AM

It's already happening, watching TNT is hilarious when Dwight is the topic
shaq to be honest is not doing quite a good job on TNT,
he is too biased on some issues,

How can one take Bynum over DH?

if I'm shaq, I won't be bitter over anything, because as a top 5 center, my legacy is self-explanatory...

LamarOdom
03-27-2012, 04:51 AM
shaq to be honest is not doing quite a good job on TNT,
he is too biased on some issues,

How can one take Bynum over DH?

if I'm shaq, I won't be bitter over anything, because as a top 5 center, my legacy is self-explanatory...

Look honestly when Shaq said that i was like WTF is this ni99a stupid? but lately when Bynum has been beasting i still think Howard is better but not to the level that they not even comparable .

rodman91
03-27-2012, 04:59 AM
It's easy era for averaging 85 on dead guys.

tommyhtc
03-27-2012, 06:19 AM
Look honestly when Shaq said that i was like WTF is this ni99a stupid? but lately when Bynum has been beasting i still think Howard is better but not to the level that they not even comparable .
the difference is that DH delivers both on the offensive side and the defensive side, is the number 1 option of the team and is the main target for opponent's defense..
it's a legit conversation if bynum can do those things..

ILLsmak
03-27-2012, 07:29 AM
The reason that Shaq would shit on Wilt is because Shaq loved contact. Shaq would physically dominate Wilt and make him quit.

It may be true if they called fouls like they were guards that Wilt would have more success, but in the true BIG MAN style of play Shaq would literally make Wilt stop playing basketball.

Think about Wilt and his lack of mental toughness... if a guy like Shaq was in the league, he'd be like... oh shit... nevermind.

-Smak

Psileas
03-27-2012, 10:59 AM
The reason that Shaq would shit on Wilt is because Shaq loved contact. Shaq would physically dominate Wilt and make him quit.

It may be true if they called fouls like they were guards that Wilt would have more success, but in the true BIG MAN style of play Shaq would literally make Wilt stop playing basketball.

Think about Wilt and his lack of mental toughness... if a guy like Shaq was in the league, he'd be like... oh shit... nevermind.

-Smak

Yeah, right, that's what people in the 80's thought as well about Wilt when there would be someone that would dunk on 45 y.o Wilt in strong pickup games. And then Wilt would get mad and dunk on 2-3 people half his age, including NBA monsters like Mark Eaton. Or when Wilt got dunked on by Gus Johnson in 1967 and then blocked and threw him away with one hand when he tried to repeat this sh*t later on.

Really, can you (or anyone else) find any example to back up this ridiculous "mental weakness" claim that shows that Wilt would actually back away from physical contact when facing a big, strong opponent? Funnily enough, I don't remember Wilt getting scared when facing Bob Lanier or Artis Gilmore in the 1972 NBA vs ABA ASG. How many times did Gilmore dunk over Wilt in that game (there exist lots of plays from that in Youtube)? How many times did you see Wilt shy away from contact and let Gilmore score on him? Where are the reports of Wilt getting dunked repeatedly on by Walt Bellamy (let alone getting dunked on and "quitting" - quite ridiculous really, Wilt would feast on Bellamy as it has been repeatedly shown)?
People perceive Wilt's hesitation to play physically in his own era due to him trying to prove that he wasn't a brute (that he wasn't his era's "Shaq") as mental weakness and getting scared of getting humiliated.
The only thing that Wilt did hate when facing physical opponents was facing fouling problems. The difference is, against Shaq, and with Wilt being plenty strong himself, there would not be fouls easily drawn by either.

RRR3
03-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Honestly, Dunce Bungalow has become one of the absolute WORST posters on this site.

Sarcastic
03-27-2012, 11:33 AM

-Smak

http://i43.tinypic.com/34te5v9.gif

Stern
03-27-2012, 11:36 AM
The Big Hypocrite :lol

HighFlyer23
03-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Shaq scores 85 via rape

taking a page out of kobes book

Rolando
03-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Shaq never developed his game like Wilt did. Shaq is exactly what Wilt did not want to become: A player who took advantage of his sheer size advantage. Instead Wilt went the opposite direction. He wanted to prove that he could beat you with skill and finesse. He was self conscious about his being seen as a giant.

Watch footage of Wilt. He does everything he can to avoid just hammering dunks down on every play, which he clearly could have done. Wilt is the better baller.

ShaqAttack3234
03-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Actually, the bulked up version of Wilt when he was a defensive specialist would probably be one of the better guys to guard Shaq, he'd need good help defenders of course, but I could see him giving Shaq more trouble than most.

On the other hand, I think Shaq would defend Wilt at any stage quite well, he was always able to pretty much completely take away players back to the basket games, and because Wilt was not a face up big man, I think he'd have a lot of success guarding Wilt, though Wilt may at times exploit Shaq's lack of hustle by running the floor and getting offensive rebounds.

Also, :oldlol: at jlauber posting that same biased Curry nonsense. What exactly is he trying to prove with that? First of all, Shaq's prime ended after '02 or '03, and he was into role player territory post-'07. More importantly, lets look at these match ups, I've destroyed your nonsense before, but hopefully to eliminate your biased garbage for good, I'll do it again.

First match up vs Curry(1/12/02)- Curry played 6 minutes. This was also the game Shaq got ejected in for fighting, iirc, but the fact that Curry played 6 minutes alone makes it useless for comparing head to head.

Second match up vs Curry(11/22/02)- Shaq came off the bench, played 21 minutes and made his season debut after toe surgery.

Third match up vs Curry(3/11/03)- This actually was a legitimate instance of Shaq struggling head to head vs Curry.

Fourth match up vs Curry(11/22/03)- Shaq played fine in an LA win, but left for good in the 3rd quarter with an injury and played only 25 minutes

Fifth match up vs Curry(3/13/04)- Shot the ball inefficiently, but had 16/15/5 in an LA win

Sixth match up vs Curry(12/3/04)- Curry made 1 field goal in 15 minutes of play, while O'Neal had 18/7/5/4 in just 30 minutes of a 24 point blowout win

Seventh match up vs Curry(2/5/05)- Shaq had 26/10/6/5 in 32 minutes of a win

Eighth match up vs Curry(2/22/05)- Shaq played a total of 2 minutes

Ninth match up vs Curry(2/22/06)- Shaq played just 22 minutes and Curry only played 17 minutes. This was another blowout win, and like some other games, this wasn't even really a Shaq vs Curry match up.

Tenth match up vs Curry(3/19/06)- Both played under 30 minutes and scored 18, Miami won.

So really, out of the seasons when Shaq was elite, you can bring up that 3rd match up, and very little else. I mean, the '07 match up was a great one for Curry as well, though Curry was having a very good season averaging almost 20 ppg and finishing among the leaders in FG%.

This just proves your flawed arguments involving head to head stats. Of course we won't see you mentioning that a lot of these games were blowouts since Shaq was on contending teams and Curry was on some horrible teams. We also won't see you mentioning Shaq being injured and leaving several of the games including 1 after 2 minutes, or coming off the bench.

Shouldn't it have been a dead giveaway to you that Shaq played 27 mpg in these match ups?

And you also have to get it through your head that this isn't the 60's anymore when both centers guard each other almost exclusively and play 45-48 mpg. I've pointed this out to you numerous times when you bring up Hakeem and Robinson's head to head regular season numbers.

What bothers me is that I've corrected you and you keep doing it. It shows how insecure you get whenever someone is compared to Wilt and what an agenda you have. If you want to make comparisons like these, please try checking facts instead of clicking a few buttons on basketball-reference, oh and common sense would be nice for a change as well.

You're half right that your best bet at guarding Shaq was a player close to his size. But Curry is not a good example, at all. And even in those cases, a lot of it depends on the help defenders. For example, Shaq destroyed Arvydas Sabonis in the '97 and '98 playoffs, but then was held relatively in check vs Portland in '00. Why, do you think that was? Well, in 2000, Dunleavy's strategy was for Pippen and Sheed to play off their men and help out on Shaq whenever he caught the ball and Sabonis was often successful in keeping Shaq from catching the ball right nea the paint.

CavaliersFTW
03-27-2012, 04:26 PM
Shaq never developed his game like Wilt did. Shaq is exactly what Wilt did not want to become: A player who took advantage of his sheer size advantage. Instead Wilt went the opposite direction. He wanted to prove that he could beat you with skill and finesse. He was self conscious about his being seen as a giant.

Watch footage of Wilt. He does everything he can to avoid just hammering dunks down on every play, which he clearly could have done. Wilt is the better baller.

Important to note, Wilt was able turn on a dime into an aggressive bruiser - just like Shaq. He didn't want to, and let a lot of things slide - and many players were also afraid to piss him off so it simply didn't happen often. But it was there. Triggered by the guys foolish enough to try to play him physical. It can be seen in the beginning of this guys video and in a few other parts of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgbfZTQeKRk&t=5s

Pointguard
03-27-2012, 05:09 PM
Shaq was rarely the best scorer of his time. He was always near the top but was only a couple of times at the top. History doesn't say he's going to average 37 points on bad defenders for any length of time. We do know that his behavior with Yao was definitely different than with everybody else. I'm thinking Yao had a standing reach very similar to Wilt? CavalierFTW? While Yao weighed a little more than later years Wilt, you never heard stories of his strength, tho it was obvious Shaq doesn't barrell over him like everybody else and Shaq goes to his finesse game a lot more.

Yao definitely lacked timing, explosion, speed and quickness. All of which Wilt was great at. Hakeem had those traits and it put him close to par with Shaq (Wilt, Hakeem and Yao were among the most skilled centers ever). Wilt was the premier work horse at the position as well. I say that because Hakeem and David Robinson (healthy years) were work horses and that seemed to keep Shaq busy and not as potent offensively, well that and their many other gifts.

Compare David Robinson's playoff career guarding Shaq which is in Shaq's scoring prime. I know this number of 24 ppg seems low but Hakeem's healthy years, Shaq's 2nd, 3rd and 4th years (which were as impressive scoringing years for Shaq as his championship years) is about 24ppg regular season (Shaq average about 28ppg in the postseason on Hakeem during that span).

and Robinson who did a great job over his playoff career on Shaq.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=onealsh01&p2=robinda01

So I would say Shaq would have scored less with a stronger and longer athlete in Wilt. So the number shouldn't be crazy at all. I see Wilt giving Shaq more problems than anybody but Wilt couldn't stop him.

CavaliersFTW
03-27-2012, 05:18 PM
Shaq was rarely the best scorer of his time. He was always near the top but was only a couple of times at the top. History doesn't say he's going to average 37 points on bad defenders for any length of time. We do know that his behavior with Yao was definitely different than with everybody else. I'm thinking Yao had a standing reach very similar to Wilt? CavalierFTW? While Yao weighed a little more than later years Wilt, you never heard stories of his strength, tho it was obvious Shaq doesn't barrell over him like everybody else and Shaq goes to his finesse game a lot more.

Yao definitely lacked timing, explosion, speed and quickness. All of which Wilt was great at. Hakeem had those traits and it put him close to par with Shaq (Wilt, Hakeem and Yao were among the most skilled centers ever). Wilt was the premier work horse at the position as well. I say that because Hakeem and David Robinson (healthy years) were work horses and that seemed to keep Shaq busy and not as potent offensively, well that and their many other gifts.

Compare David Robinson's playoff career guarding Shaq which is in Shaq's scoring prime. I know this number of 24 ppg seems low but Hakeem's healthy years, Shaq's 2nd, 3rd and 4th years (which were as impressive scoringing years for Shaq as his championship years) is about 24ppg regular season (Shaq average about 28ppg in the postseason on Hakeem during that span).

and Robinson who did a great job over his playoff career on Shaq.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=onealsh01&p2=robinda01

So I would say Shaq would have scored less with a stronger and longer athlete in Wilt. So the number shouldn't be crazy at all. I see Wilt giving Shaq more problems than anybody but Wilt couldn't stop him.

Yao's standing reach is measured at 9'7. Wilt's was measured at 9'6. But they measure modern players standing reach while they are in their gigantic basketball shoes. Wilt's standing reach may have also been in his shoes, but we're talking wafer thin Chuck Taylors vs a pair of 1" to 1.5" thick Nike's. His standing reach was probably virtually identical as Yao's. Yao has a 7'5 wingspan, Wilt's is 7'8 so he's also got 3 inches on Wingspan.

Deuce Bigalow
03-27-2012, 05:19 PM
Burnt Jlauber's soul to the core right there...

A 6'6 Centre really?? :roll: :lol :oldlol:

If that is in fact true, he was basically racking up points on a guard/SF. Makes his 100 point effort not so remarkable.
http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/spartyonx/YesJackNicholson.gif

Whoah10115
03-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Wilt developed a game with skill, while being huge. Shaq is bigger and I highly doubt Wilt was as strong as O'Neal. But I'd take Wilt as a player.

bdreason
03-27-2012, 05:56 PM
I think Shaq could score 100 points in a game in 1960... assuming he was force-fed the ball like Wilt was, of course.

millwad
03-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Also, :oldlol: at jlauber posting that same biased Curry nonsense. What exactly is he trying to prove with that? First of all, Shaq's prime ended after '02 or '03, and he was into role player territory post-'07. More importantly, lets look at these match ups, I've destroyed your nonsense before, but hopefully to eliminate your biased garbage for good, I'll do it again.

The most insecure old fart I've ever seen on ISH.

Lately he has developed a major hate towards Hakeem just because some have compared him to Wilt..

He claimed that Hakeem got killed in '95 and that he was outplayed, I knew of course that he had no clue about anything but boxscores so I asked him to break down games and then he came to game 2.

The old fart wrote that Hakeem got murdered in game 2 and then started to bring up stats, then I told him that Hakeem killed the Magic in the first half while Shaq didn't perform well at all and that Shaq's points came in garbage time.

His reply was something like, "oh, so it doesn't count to score n the 2nd half?:facepalm"... HAHA..

Or like the another thread when Fatal was destroying him about Kareem. Just because it fit Jlauber's agenda at that time he started to spam about Hakeem outplaying Kareem in the playoffs in '86 and in another thread just a week later or something he was spamming about how much Hakeem got killed by Kareem in '86.. :facepalm

Luckily you and Fatal always destroy him! :cheers:

Jlauber's knowledge = google, youtube and quotes

CavaliersFTW
03-27-2012, 06:49 PM
I think Shaq could score 100 points in a game in 1960... assuming he was force-fed the ball like Wilt was, of course.

eh... you gotta learn about that 100 point game before you try to claim that.

Wilt actually could shoot. And both Wilt and Shaq suck at ft shooting but Wilt sank 28 of 32 that night. And as typical, he played 48 minutes of fast-break basketball, and with his 265lbs that season, he was in ideal form to be doing that kind of running.

I don't think Shaq can do 100 points in any era. Don't get me wrong, he'd be a force in that or any other era. But skill, physical gifts, and most of all blind luck were why Wilt scored 100. You could cherry pick any version of Shaq and put him in that game and he's probably gonna peter out or run out of minutes before he hits 70. David Robinson would have a better chance. He was always in good shape and he at least knows the energy it takes to get (nearly) 3/4 of the way there. There's still a long way to go even after that... You can call out weak era all you want. 100 points is just a helluva lot of points, and I don't think people understand how many things Wilt had going for himself that night (as well as his physical gifts in general) in order to be able to do that.

Pointguard
03-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Yao's standing reach is measured at 9'7. Wilt's was measured at 9'6. But they measure modern players standing reach while they are in their gigantic basketball shoes. Wilt's standing reach may have also been in his shoes, but we're talking wafer thin Chuck Taylors vs a pair of 1" to 1.5" thick Nike's. His standing reach was probably virtually identical as Yao's. Yao has a 7'5 wingspan, Wilt's is 7'8 so he's also got 3 inches on Wingspan.
Thanks. You're work is stellar! Have to give Wilt a slight edge as Yao didn't have much lift, explosion and rarely extended to his full reach anyway. Yao wasn't much of a shot blocker anyways. Wilt also had more upper body strength. I seen Yao up close and his calves were the biggest I had ever seen.

They always say lower body weight is better for rebounding but DH and Wilt were the best rebounders and they didn't have lower body weight.