PDA

View Full Version : How many SGs have been 6'10 or taller?

GOBB
03-26-2012, 11:25 PM
I know Durant played SG earlier in his career before playing SF fulltime. Paul George is playing it full time and if his height is accurate is 6'10 (any confirmation?).

StroShow4
03-26-2012, 11:29 PM
Paul George doesn't look 6'10 to me. NBA.COM says he's 6'8. I would've said 6'7.

GOBB
03-26-2012, 11:30 PM
Paul George doesn't look 6'10 to me. NBA.COM says he's 6'8. I would've said 6'7.

Before this season it was reported he grew an inch and is now 6'10. He dont look it either.

ganja0710
03-26-2012, 11:31 PM
Jared Jeffries when he was with Washington.

Qwyjibo
03-26-2012, 11:32 PM
Well Bargnani plays like an SG. Does that count?

StroShow4
03-26-2012, 11:34 PM

Good call.

Whoah10115
03-26-2012, 11:34 PM
There's a picture with George, Hibbert, and maybe Granger (?) and he's pretty tall. He was 6'8 as a rookie and he grew almost 2 full inches. But I imagine he was more of a 6'7 guy and he's really about 6'9 now. But he's play the 2 for as long as Granger is there (not much longer).

Durant is a 2guard who just happens to be clearly over 6'10. KG said T-Mac is 6'10 (listed 6'8).

selrahc
03-26-2012, 11:35 PM
Kobe may not be 6'10 but he plays like he is 6'10

SleepyCorpse
03-26-2012, 11:52 PM
isn't Austin Daye a 7foot SG?

Eric Cartman
03-26-2012, 11:55 PM
isn't Austin Daye a 7foot SG?

If this doesn't answer the thread then none will.

GOBB
03-26-2012, 11:57 PM
Thought Daye was a SF :confusedshrug:

joshwake
03-27-2012, 12:07 AM
The NBA has never seen anyone with the height, shooting and ball handling of Durant all in one. If he had a mind to take people inside off the dribble more he would be unstoppable. Fortunately for other teams, he likes to just sit back and shoot jumpers most the night.

GOBB
03-27-2012, 12:09 AM
The NBA has never seen anyone with the height, shooting and ball handling of Durant all in one. If he had a mind to take people inside off the dribble more he would be unstoppable. Fortunately for other teams, he likes to just sit back and shoot jumpers most the night.

Where irrelevant happens.

MASH Transit
03-27-2012, 12:11 AM

He gets to the rack off the dribble a lot. In fact, he's slowly becoming one of the best PnR ball handlers in the league. He does settle for jumpers a lot though, I'll give you that. I especially hate the 27ft contested three's. I swear his stroke is so sweet that if he picked his spots, he'd tally another 40%+ 3pt season.

GOBB
03-27-2012, 12:12 AM
He gets to the rack off the dribble a lot. In fact, he's slowly becoming one of the best PnR ball handlers in the league. He does settle for jumpers a lot though, I'll give you that. I especially hate the 27ft contested three's. I swear his stroke is so sweet that if he picked his spots, he'd tally another 40%+ 3pt season.

Where irrelevant happens twice

MASH Transit
03-27-2012, 12:12 AM
Where irrelevant happens twice

I'm actually thinking this is where salty happens. Irrelevant was the left turn, not the right. You're in the wrong place, son.

GOBB
03-27-2012, 12:15 AM
I'm actually thinking this is where salty happens. Irrelevant was the left turn, not the right. You're in the wrong place, son.

Thread about SGs 6'10 and taller and you're telling us how much Durants game gives you a boner. Yes, you are in the wrong place kid. MASH OUT :confusedshrug:

Hittin_Shots
03-27-2012, 12:18 AM
Thread about SGs 6'10 and taller and you're telling us how much Durants game gives you a boner. Yes, you are in the wrong place kid. MASH OUT :confusedshrug:

So a thread about 6'10 sg's should not feature talk on a 6'10 player who played sg?

HB40TheNextStar
03-27-2012, 12:18 AM
Corey Brewer is pretty close. He's a SG or SF?

GOBB
03-27-2012, 12:20 AM
So a thread about 6'10 sg's should not feature talk on a 6'10 player who played sg?

No. We have threads about Durant playing today as a SF. Hes a much better player now than he was then (playing SG). Like I said, relevance?

GOBB
03-27-2012, 12:21 AM
Corey Brewer is pretty close. He's a SG or SF?

He's nowhere close to being 6'10.

MASH Transit
03-27-2012, 12:22 AM
No. We have threads about Durant playing today as a SF. Hes a much better player now than he was then (playing SG). Like I said, relevance?

Durant sometimes plays the two spot now, genius. :facepalm

iDefend5
03-27-2012, 12:24 AM
Go back to RealGM...

Oh wait, you got banned there, LOL, so now you have to troll and post your stupidity on this site.

HB40TheNextStar
03-27-2012, 12:24 AM
He's nowhere close to being 6'10.

Listed at 6-9 :confusedshrug:

I always thought McGrady was taller than listed. Qyntel Woods was pretty tall.

MASH Transit
03-27-2012, 12:25 AM
Go back to RealGM...

Oh wait, you got banned there, LOL, so now you have to troll and post your stupidity on this site.

So now what? :confusedshrug:

iDefend5
03-27-2012, 12:25 AM
So now what? :confusedshrug:
I'm saying your pathetic ass has to post back here because you have no where else to post because you got banned on another site for trolling. It goes to show you good of a poster you are. :oldlol:

MASH Transit
03-27-2012, 12:27 AM
I'm saying your pathetic ass has to post back here because you have no where else to post because you got banned on another site for trolling. It goes to show you good of a poster you are. :oldlol:

:applause:

And now back to our regular scheduled programing.

iDefend5
03-27-2012, 12:28 AM
:applause:

And now back to our regular scheduled programing.
Yeah, nobody cares what you have to say, hopefully you get banned here soon. You are an idiot.

MASH Transit
03-27-2012, 12:30 AM
Yeah, nobody cares what you have to say, hopefully you get banned here soon. You are an idiot.

Little engine that could.

iDefend5
03-27-2012, 12:30 AM
Little engine that could.
:confusedshrug: And why do you say back to our scheduled whatever when you were that idiot that derailed the thread?

There is a reason why nobody takes you seriously on this site or in the other and there is a reason why they banned you on there.

eliteballer
03-27-2012, 12:32 AM
There have been plenty of forwards who have had his height/shooting ability but not his ballhandling, which is a product of the era he gew up in(aau, glorifying of flashy play etc)

Fudge
03-27-2012, 12:33 AM
Gallo played some SG on the Knicks i'm pretty sure. I may be wrong though.

eliteballer
03-27-2012, 12:34 AM
There have been plenty of forwards who have had his height/shooting ability but not his ballhandling, which is a product of the era he gew up in(aau, glorifying of flashy play etc)

IE Peja, Turkoglu, Shard.

MASH Transit
03-27-2012, 12:34 AM
:confusedshrug: And why do you say back to our scheduled whatever when you were that idiot that derailed the thread?

There is a reason why nobody takes you seriously on this site or in the other and there is a reason why they banned you on there.

Insulting posters. I know, I know. Just terrible. I'm not very merciful to the daft and dumb, blind or retarded. My patience finds itself shortened these days, and my tongue can be wrathful if provoked. It's my fathers fault, for a drunkard he was.

:crazysam:

GOBB
03-27-2012, 12:36 AM

http://www.82games.com/1112/1112OKC2.HTM

Failed. Go back to real...wait you got banned there. :facepalm

GOBB
03-27-2012, 12:36 AM
IE Peja, Turkoglu, Shard.

Thread about SG's eliteidiot.

iDefend5
03-27-2012, 12:37 AM

:applause: :oldlol:

GOBB
Listed at 6-9 :confusedshrug:

I always thought McGrady was taller than listed. Qyntel Woods was pretty tall.

He mustve grew as well. Swore he was only 6'8.

MeLO MvP 15
If anything AAU ball glorifying guys like Jordan and crazy athletic plays pushed the tall guys to move out of the post and be more perimeter orientated. That's why we have so many athletic bigs and such few legit post up players.

Besides, you're implying that before AAU ball the NBA was full of 6'10+ guys handling the ball.... um not at all. There were guys like Bird, Magic, and Scottie to name a few, but they weren't even 6'10" and were rare exceptions.

AMISTILLILL
03-27-2012, 12:38 AM
So, one guy mentions Kobe 'playing like he's 6'10"' like a moron, and another guy talks up how great Durant is inexplicably.

Yep, definitely an ISH thread.

MASH Transit
03-27-2012, 12:40 AM

What does that have to do with what I said?

http://www.82games.com/1011/1011MIA2.HTM

Notice how LeBron is listed as a PG in none of those units. Obviously, he never takes over PG duties.

Edit: And you thought you were smart.

kumquat
03-27-2012, 12:42 AM
Peja bitches...listed around there probably smaller. Good call on Hedo.

GOBB
03-27-2012, 12:46 AM
What does that have to do with what I said?

http://www.82games.com/1011/1011MIA2.HTM

Notice how LeBron is listed as a PG in none of those units. Obviously, he never takes over PG duties.

Point Forward now is to be considered "PG" :roll:

You keep owning yourself.

Andre Iguodala isnt a PG. Never played PG. But he faciliates an offense like Lebron James.

MASH Transit
03-27-2012, 12:52 AM
Point Forward now is to be considered "PG" :roll:

You keep owning yourself.

Andre Iguodala isnt a PG. Never played PG. But he faciliates an offense like Lebron James.

So when a player brings the ball up the court and facilitates the offense he isn't the PG? Chalmers, whose primary duty is spot up shooting, is the Heat's primary ball handler and distributor? Norris Cole?

LeBron plays PG all the time. You're a moron.

I guess when James Harden comes into the game and Fisher is on the court, Fisher the spot up shooter is the PG, and not Harden the ball handler and distributor. :facepalm

Fudge
03-27-2012, 01:00 AM
Thread about SG's eliteidiot.
:oldlol:

kenny817
03-27-2012, 01:02 AM

LOL...this is completely false

MASH Transit
03-27-2012, 01:13 AM
LOL...this is completely false

Actually, no it isn't.

He's the 28th ranked PnR ball handler in the league(for comparisons sake, LeBron is ranked 12th), scores on 45% off his shot attempts out of the PnR, and gives you .86 points per PnR possession. Which is damned good.

Pinkhearts
03-27-2012, 10:17 AM
I thought Lebron played PG early in his career?

2 points:
1) Durant was 6'9 or maybe another half inch when he played SG. He grew later on.
2) He was too weak to play SF then.....so he was blooded in at SG....doesn't make him a true SG

BlueandGold
03-27-2012, 10:28 AM
I hear this argument being made every year.. and what about Lebron, he drop off the map? Last time I checked he's pretty damn close to the stature of Durant. Durant may be a little taller but Lebron is much stronger (or at least appears).

niko
03-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Doesn't one need to shoot to be a SG?

dirkdiggler41
03-27-2012, 11:17 AM
Doesn't one need to shoot to be a SG?

Jefferies shooting is one of his last problem (lulz)

There is a lot of guards who cant shoot like tony allen and thabo sefolosa (typo?)

albas89
03-27-2012, 12:01 PM
This guy was 6'9" and was actually a SG...
http://www.guxed.net/wp-content/uploads/DerMarr-Johnson2.jpg
I can't think of someone else, other than Paul George!

millwad
03-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Can't remember his fist name, think it was Der-something Johnson. He played forn Denver if I recall correctly and he played some SG and he was tall as hell.

millwad
03-27-2012, 12:15 PM
This guy was 6'9" and was actually a SG...
http://www.guxed.net/wp-content/uploads/DerMarr-Johnson2.jpg
I can't think of someone else, other than Paul George!

Bingo.

SilkkTheShocker
03-27-2012, 01:32 PM
Donte Green played some SG for Sacramento at one point.

SilkkTheShocker
03-27-2012, 01:33 PM
Can't remember his fist name, think it was Der-something Johnson. He played forn Denver if I recall correctly and he played some SG and he was tall as hell.

Dermarr Johnson. I don't think he ever recovered from a car accident he was in.

Owl
03-27-2012, 02:05 PM
Bkb-Ref Finds no guards, guard forwards, or forward guards at 6'10+.

At 6'9 http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=81&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=0&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&qual=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=per it lists Mike Dunleavy Jr, Peja Stojakovic, Sun Yue, Scooter McCray (played 3 seasons mid 80's less than 100 games), Sean Higgins and Jerald Honeycutt (90's nobodys).
Corey Brewer who has been mentioned is generally listed at 6'9 and only as a forward though he played some sg in Minny (Draftexpress has him as 6'8 in general but in detailed section says 6'7.75 with shoes and an inch shorter without). His standing reach and wingspan are shorter than those of big long combo-wings like T-Mac, Wesley Johnson and Paul George.

Jonathan Bender was listed as 7 feet and was definitely a wing type player (reffering to pre-comeback here, I don't know about later). A forum says pre-draft he measured 6'10 presumably barefoot http://forums.interbasket.net/showthread.php?4427-NBA-NBA-Pre-Draft-Measurement and may still have been growing at that point.

Can't find detailed Demarr Johnson measurements, but generally given as 6'9, listed as either an sf (draftexpress) or a guard forward (bkb-ref, yahoo).

In any case Durant was getting negative reviews at sg and that experiment (along with generally poor play, whilst Clay Bennett helped the team tank) may be part of what got PJ Carlesimo fired so quickly (along with the fact he was a cheap hire who was never meant to succeed).

Darius
03-27-2012, 02:07 PM
I know Durant played SG earlier in his career before playing SF fulltime. Paul George is playing it full time and if his height is accurate is 6'10 (any confirmation?).

T-Mac was pretty tall... I know he was listed 6'7" but he was at least 6'9"

GOBB
03-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Yeah Tmac is another. I always considered him 6'8. Not sure his accurate height.

Bkb-Ref Finds no guards, guard forwards, or forward guards at 6'10+.

At 6'9 http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=81&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=0&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&qual=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=per it lists Mike Dunleavy Jr, Peja Stojakovic, Sun Yue, Scooter McCray (played 3 seasons mid 80's less than 100 games), Sean Higgins and Jerald Honeycutt (90's nobodys).
Corey Brewer who has been mentioned is generally listed at 6'9 and only as a forward though he played some sg in Minny (Draftexpress has him as 6'8 in general but in detailed section says 6'7.75 with shoes and an inch shorter without). His standing reach and wingspan are shorter than those of big long combo-wings like T-Mac, Wesley Johnson and Paul George.

Jonathan Bender was listed as 7 feet and was definitely a wing type player (reffering to pre-comeback here, I don't know about later). A forum says pre-draft he measured 6'10 presumably barefoot http://forums.interbasket.net/showthread.php?4427-NBA-NBA-Pre-Draft-Measurement and may still have been growing at that point.

Can't find detailed Demarr Johnson measurements, but generally given as 6'9, listed as either an sf (draftexpress) or a guard forward (bkb-ref, yahoo).

In any case Durant was getting negative reviews at sg and that experiment (along with generally poor play, whilst Clay Bennett helped the team tank) may be part of what got PJ Carlesimo fired so quickly (along with the fact he was a cheap hire who was never meant to succeed).

Well it still has Paul George at 6'8 so not sure how much we can take from this.

Owl
03-27-2012, 02:29 PM
Yeah Tmac is another. I always considered him 6'8. Not sure his accurate height.

Well it still has Paul George at 6'8 so not sure how much we can take from this.
I can't do anything about their accuracy but here's guys on the same criteria who it lists as 6'8 (though generally guys are actually smaller than listed so reallistically no one here is going to be 6'10) http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=80&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=0&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&qual=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=per It adds Willie Burton, Josh Childress, Darren Daye, Devean George, Gus Gerrard, Chris Jefferies, Antonio Lang, Rawle Marshall, Guy Morgan, Billy Owens, Sasha Pavlovic, Kenny Payne, Scottie Pippen (though it shows only 2 years indicating that they have specific position listings for each year), James Posey, Robert Reid, Jerry Reynolds, Eddie Robinson, Jalen Rose (again for limited years), Malik Sealy, Tamar Slay and Walt Williams. Highest PER of the group is 14.3.

Suggests that 6'7 might be the maximum height a player can have the handles to play at guard.

eliteballer
03-27-2012, 02:34 PM
T-Mac was pretty tall... I know he was listed 6'7" but he was at least 6'9"

....no

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg34/NBA7902/NBA%20Height%20Comparison/Kobe%20Bryant%20and%20Tracy%20McGrady/KobeTMac2.jpg

http://nbamania.com/board/data/upload/kobe_tmac01.jpg

OneBadUsername
03-27-2012, 04:43 PM
They say Perry Jones is a SG in a PF body...It seems all the lanky 3-4's always move to 2-3's.

SwooshReturns
03-27-2012, 04:44 PM
LMAO @ all these exaggerated heights. Some players actually asked to be rounded down for position purposes. Like Garnett, Durant, etc.

G-train
03-27-2012, 05:46 PM
A tall shooting guard is basically a small forward these days.
Teams just roll with 2 guards and 3 forwards, 1 guard 4 forwards, some have a centre (not many).
To me, the Pacers start a guard, 3 forwards and a centre.

GOBB
03-27-2012, 05:53 PM
A tall shooting guard is basically a small forward these days.
Teams just roll with 2 guards and 3 forwards, 1 guard 4 forwards, some have a centre (not many).
To me, the Pacers start a guard, 3 forwards and a centre.

So basically there is a height limit for SGs in your mind.

G-train
03-27-2012, 06:28 PM
So basically there is a height limit for SGs in your mind.

In my mind it's a combo of height and skills. More so skills.
To me they are bent towards scoring more than anything on the offensive end and provide more speed and generally better ball handling than a 3. George is like a versatile 3man to me. I think generally once you head over 6'7, you are heading into 3man territory.

GOBB
03-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Gotcha.

Walker
03-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Pretty sure Toni Kukoc was listed as a SG for at least one season early in his career, 6'11".

InspiredLebowski
03-27-2012, 07:15 PM
George was 6'8 3/4" with shoes at the predraft camp. I really don't put a ton of stock into the "grew 2 inches" thing, but he honestly did seem a bit taller from just the beginning of his rookie year to the end of it. That, and I mean, why would someone lie about something like that?

I thought 6'10 was BS until I realized he was just short of 6'9 pre-draft. He's definitely taller than Granger and West, who're really about the same size. Probalby has an inch or so on them. He might be 6'10 I guess, in shoes anyway.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/sites/pacers/files/imagecache/image_gallery_default/photos/JLH_6366.jpg

Hibbert's a legit 7'1, at worst.

28renyoy
03-27-2012, 09:32 PM
I thought Lebron played PG early in his career?

2 points:
1) Durant was 6'9 or maybe another half inch when he played SG. He grew later on.
2) He was too weak to play SF then.....so he was blooded in at SG....doesn't make him a true SG

http://fullcourtpumps.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/kevin-durant-lebron-james.jpg

Durant absolutely towers over James. Given his ridiculous wingspan and high shoulders, he probably has a 4-5" reach advantage

And T-Mac was 6'7, Durant is roughly 6'11~ but has the reach of a 7'1 center

GOBB
03-27-2012, 09:35 PM
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/photo_images/6206467/20120325_mje_ar9_495.jpg

Yes Durant towers Bron :eek:

28renyoy
03-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Are you serious? LeBron is CLEARLY closer to the camera giving a distortion of him being taller.

Durant with bowling shoes towering over LeBron

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg831/scaled.php?server=831&filename=whatc.jpg&res=medium

RoseCity07
03-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Channing Frye. Worlds tallest shooting guard.

GOBB
03-27-2012, 09:54 PM
Channing Frye. Worlds tallest shooting guard.

He doesnt play SG. Thanks anyway, come back again!

winnnaz
03-27-2012, 11:28 PM
Tmacs damn close to 6"10

Magic731
03-28-2012, 12:35 AM
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/photo_images/6206467/20120325_mje_ar9_495.jpg

Yes Durant towers Bron :eek:
Clearly the angle which that picture was taken doesn't give an accurate view.

GOBB
03-28-2012, 11:50 AM
Clearly the angle which that picture was taken doesn't give an accurate view.

Photos in general don't give an accurate view. Pretty much my point.