PDA

View Full Version : The Bagelred NBA Summer of 2012 Salary Cap Analysis

bagelred
03-30-2012, 01:17 PM
This took me 723 hours of hard work and dedication to put together, but it was worth it (Or maybe 45 minutes).

Version 2.0

http://i46.tinypic.com/am4bbt.jpg

This should set the stage for 2012 and who has cap space to work with.

Just some notes:
-The total column is the sum of all the other columns and is the total payroll number.
- Second round picks are not included because you can sign them after signing free agents
- I just used best guesses on options and likely signings.
- Not all amounts in red are teams over the cap. It's both over the cap teams and teams with "insignificant" cap space or teams likely to resign own free agents
-The Likely Resigning figures are just MY guesses, not any sources. I can change those if think they are way off. Mostly these are Restricted Free Agents that we know teams will keep.
- Some teams cap space situations are really "up in the air", such as Nets, Suns, and Celtics. It all depends what happens with franchise players.

So look at the schedule, specifically your favorite team, and let me know if you think I should make changes, if options are wrong, if someone should be added to likely signings, etc. This will be updated as we go along and I'll put the updated spreadsheet in its place.

niko
03-30-2012, 01:25 PM
I'm wondering if i commit to season tickets if the Nets will give me a roster spot.

hawkfan
03-30-2012, 01:28 PM
The Hawks can amnesty Marvin, let Hinrich expire, and then we should get the full MLE to spend on another player and still be far away from the luxury tax.

bagelred
03-30-2012, 01:30 PM
I'm wondering if i commit to season tickets if the Nets will give me a roster spot.

I'll give Jay-Z a call for you.

Sarcastic
03-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Knicks aren't giving Landry Fields $5 million. They most likely will let him walk.

niko
03-30-2012, 01:31 PM
I'll give Jay-Z a call for you.
Jay Z was asked if he was dissapointed the Nets did not get Howard. He said "My life is great, i don't worry about the team, if they are good that's just gravy".

Brooklyn Nets - Where being good is gravy....

Clutch
03-30-2012, 01:34 PM
Knicks aren't giving Landry Fields $5 million. They most likely will let him walk.
I would give him a minimum and that's it.
J.R. will probably walk away,Lin will stay for sure.
My goal is to re-sign Novak. Jeffries too but I think he'll accept the minimum.

bagelred
03-30-2012, 01:36 PM

You are wrong. $5 million is not alot for a starting shooting guard and the Knicks have no way to get anyone else, even if they wanted to. They have no cap space. So they are definitely resigning Fields....at the very least, as a trade asset. But for this analysis, makes no difference anyway. Knicks have no cap space.

Sarcastic
03-30-2012, 01:37 PM
I would give him a minimum and that's it.
J.R. will probably walk away,Lin will stay for sure.
My goal is to re-sign Novak. Jeffries too but I think he'll accept the minimum.

Who is going to give JR Smith a big contract? Everyone knows he's a head case. I honestly think he will pick up the option.

Sarcastic
03-30-2012, 01:38 PM
You are wrong. $5 million is not alot for a starting shooting guard and the Knicks have no way to get anyone else, even if they wanted to. They have no cap space. So they are definitely resigning Fields....at the very least, as a trade asset. But for this analysis, makes no difference anyway. Knicks have no cap space.

He's not a starting shooting guard anymore. Or at least next year he won't be. He doesn't have MDA backing him now. Shumpert will start by next year, the latest. They are not paying him $5 million to play 15 minutes per game.

bagelred
03-30-2012, 01:40 PM
He's not a starting shooting guard anymore. Or at least next year he won't be. He doesn't have MDA backing him now. Shumpert will start by next year, the latest. They are not paying him $5 million to play 15 minutes per game.

When they resign him, we'll come back to this post.

wally_world
03-30-2012, 01:41 PM
Suns should definitely amnesty Childress

Sarcastic
03-30-2012, 01:41 PM
When they resign him, we'll come back to this post.

They may. But it won't be for $5 million. If he gets $1.5 from the Knicks, he'll be lucky. The new tax is much harsher with the 2:1 ratio. Paying Landry $5 million with a $10 million tax is not worth it.

niko
03-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Saying he will get $5M is not true because the Knicks won't offer and the fact they can match will scare off offers. But they are not giving him the vet minimum either. Be real. Two years, $6M-$7M seems likely to me.

It's better to resign him, you can trade him if nothing else. Just letting him walk isn't helpful. Or at least S&T him for an exception.

Sarcastic
03-30-2012, 01:46 PM
Saying he will get $5M is not true because the Knicks won't offer and the fact they can match will scare off offers. But they are not giving him the vet minimum either. Be real. Two years, $6M-$7M seems likely to me.

It's better to resign him, you can trade him if nothing else. Just letting him walk isn't helpful. Or at least S&T him for an exception.

If we offer 2/$6 million, he should thank his lucky stars.

RedBlackAttack
03-30-2012, 01:48 PM
Nice work Bagelred. Very informative, indeed.

Whoah10115
03-30-2012, 01:52 PM
Landry Fields is worth $5Million a year.

He shouldn't thank anybody for that. He should not start at the 2 next year, but if he's on the bench he'll be one of the better bench players in the league.

Joel Anthony makes $3.5Million a year.

Let JR go away, PLEASE. PLEASE. Let go of Baron and let go bring back Jeffries, Novak, Landry, obviously Lin.

Great OP tho.

niko
03-30-2012, 01:59 PM
Landry Fields is worth $5Million a year.

He shouldn't thank anybody for that. He should not start at the 2 next year, but if he's on the bench he'll be one of the better bench players in the league.

Joel Anthony makes $3.5Million a year.

Let JR go away, PLEASE. PLEASE. Let go of Baron and let go bring back Jeffries, Novak, Landry, obviously Lin.

Great OP tho.
JR is a player option. If Davis will come back for minimum, you need to sign him. As a backup he's fine. Jefferies likes it here and is literally still getting paid by us so he's likely too. Novak it depends on what people offer that we can't give. As good as he is, i guarantee a lot of teams would not use him right and he'd just stand there and get no shots.

InspiredLebowski
03-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Good stuff.

Hibbert's getting more than 10 mil though. If David Falk was only asking for that they'd have gotten an extension done. He's going to push for the max, which is scary.

Sarcastic
03-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Go through every team's salaries, and show me guys who put up 9/3/4 that make $5 million. On top of that Landry will play even fewer minutes next year when Shumpert is named the starter full time.

Joel Anthony has 4 years experience and plays center which is a premium position that is always overpaid. Landry Fields is a small forward that plays shooting guard, and doesn't do it that well. He's a $2 million player at best.

DuMa
03-30-2012, 02:01 PM
h++pshype > bagelred

bagelred
03-30-2012, 02:02 PM
Good stuff.

Hibbert's getting more than 10 mil though. If David Falk was only asking for that they'd have gotten an extension done. He's going to push for the max, which is scary.

Alright, these are the updates need to know. I'll add that to next update. Bagelred 2.0 or maybe just 1.1.3 update.

Harison
03-30-2012, 02:26 PM
Thanks bagelred, informative and concise read :cheers:

el gringos
03-30-2012, 02:36 PM
Of course the knicks will bring fields back- even if it was up to 5 mill

If fields and lin were both resiogned would that affect the ability to bring back novak?

So if/when fields and lin were resigned could they be in an offseason s+t? And could either player be packaged with amare during the offseason or would that have to wait untilsomewhere into the season

GOBB
03-30-2012, 02:41 PM
Nice work, that makes the other site I use for all salary info they have (in more detail) useless. Wait what?

blablabla
03-30-2012, 02:42 PM
fields will get something around 3mil per year imo
jeffries for vet min let davis walk if we can get andre miller or someone else novak for vet min or mini mle
and sign a back up center for the remaining money

Whoah10115
03-30-2012, 04:00 PM
JR is a player option. If Davis will come back for minimum, you need to sign him. As a backup he's fine. Jefferies likes it here and is literally still getting paid by us so he's likely too. Novak it depends on what people offer that we can't give. As good as he is, i guarantee a lot of teams would not use him right and he'd just stand there and get no shots.

I guess Baron is fine, if it's the minimum. Maybe he'll grow into it. I wanna know if he's gonna ever be healthy and want to play more minutes. That's my concern.

I hope JR Smith stays way away. He was a bad pickup and I'm not at all impressed with his self-hyped hot streaks in blowouts.

Lin, Landry, Jefferies, and Novak have to be re-signed. We have to work that out and those have to be priorities. If Smith picks up his option, can he be traded? Or do we have to wait until near the deadline?

LoneyROY7
03-30-2012, 04:01 PM
That Gordon estimate for the Hornets is way off.

bagelred
03-30-2012, 04:06 PM
That Gordon estimate for the Hornets is way off.

Well then what should it be? Please give supporting documentation for your work.

LoneyROY7
03-30-2012, 04:12 PM
Well then what should it be? Please give supporting documentation for your work.

The Hornets already offered Gordon a contract of about 50-51 mil over 4 years (coming out to 12.5-12.75 annually) before the deadline, and Gordon declined it...so there's no reason to expect him to accept less in the off-season.

http://www.hornets247.com/blog/2012/01/25/eric-gordon-says-no-to-hornets-contract-extension-will-become-an-unrestricted-free-agent/

bagelred
03-30-2012, 04:20 PM
The Hornets already offered Gordon a contract of about 50-51 mil over 4 years (coming out to 12.5-12.75 annually) before the deadline, and Gordon declined it...so there's no reason to expect him to accept less in the off-season.

http://www.hornets247.com/blog/2012/01/25/eric-gordon-says-no-to-hornets-contract-extension-will-become-an-unrestricted-free-agent/

Alright, so maybe I'll bump my estimate up. Gordon had that season ending injury so teams might be scared to make a huge offer.

LoneyROY7
03-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Alright, so maybe I'll bump my estimate up. Gordon had that season ending injury so teams might be scared to make a huge offer.

Gordon could be returning to action on Saturday against the Lakers...

bagelred
03-30-2012, 04:25 PM
Gordon could be returning to action on Saturday against the Lakers...

O'rly? :biggums:

LoneyROY7
03-30-2012, 04:28 PM
O'rly? :biggums:

Yup. He's definitely going to be back in action by April 4th (a Hornet's home game against the Nuggets)...but he may come back earlier against either the Lakers or the Suns this weekend.

bagelred
03-30-2012, 04:33 PM
Geez, found a mistake in my own Knicks numbers. Forgot to include Balkman. :facepalm

Check your own teams committed salaries and see if its right.

Sarcastic
03-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Kevin Love just got 4/$62 million. I doubt Gordon can get more than the $51 or so million he was offered elsewhere.

LoneyROY7
03-30-2012, 04:45 PM
Kevin Love just got 4/$62 million. I doubt Gordon can get more than the $51 or so million he was offered elsewhere.

You'd be surprised...especially if he shows out well in these next 15 or so games left.

Look at the Celtics for instance...they desperately NEED an infusion of young and talented players. And with the Big 3 likely broken-up next season, I wouldn't be shocked to see them throw big money at Gordon.

You also have a team like the Pacers (who have been tied to Gordon since he entered the league), and teams like the Wolves and Cavs who are looking for that big piece to pair with their other superstar to take them to the next level.

And don't forget a team like New Jersey who may be left in the cold with D-Will and will be looking to salvage their team heading to Brooklyn.

I expect some team to offer him the max in the off-season, and I subsequently expect the Hornets to match.

Celtic_Pride
03-30-2012, 05:00 PM
Good job!

So Celtics will probably have 15m after Garnett and Ray resign. Hopefully Ainge will add 1 good Center and strengthen our bench

bagelred
03-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Good job!

So Celtics will probably have 15m after Garnett and Ray resign. Hopefully Ainge will add 1 good Center and strengthen our bench

:biggums: How did you get that?

Celtic_Pride
03-30-2012, 05:17 PM
:biggums: How did you get that?

They probably will resign for 15-20m combined. I mean no other contenders can afford more than that and I am assuming that they will chose Celtics if Ainge offers them!

So another 15m left which I am assuming they will target 1 restricted free agent with 7-10m and fill out the bench with the rest

bagelred
03-30-2012, 05:26 PM
They probably will resign for 15-20m combined. I mean no other contenders can afford more than that and I am assuming that they will chose Celtics if Ainge offers them!

So another 15m left which I am assuming they will target 1 restricted free agent with 7-10m and fill out the bench with the rest

So let's do the math, shall we?

Total Boston Salaries: $38 million
KG + Allen Combined: $15 million
New Total Boston Salaries: $53 million

Salary Cap: $58 million

Cap Space: $5 million

:coleman:

Celtic_Pride
03-30-2012, 05:30 PM
So let's do the math, shall we?

Total Boston Salaries: $38 million
KG + Allen Combined: $15 million
New Total Boston Salaries: $53 million

Salary Cap: $58 million

Cap Space: $5 million

Isn't committed salary like 30.5 in that 1st post? :coleman:

Ok just to make me feel better, Boston can always go over the cap and resign Allen or KG :banana:

bagelred
03-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Isn't committed salary like 30.5 in that 1st post? :coleman:

Ok just to make me feel better, Boston can always go over the cap and resign Allen or KG :banana:

Yes, but you didn't look to the right. Add draft picks, Bass option, and Steisma option.

And no, Boston can't go over the cap and THEN resign KG and Allen. Doesn't work that way. Boston is basically locked into the $58 million number now.

Celtic_Pride
03-30-2012, 05:39 PM
And no, Boston can't go over the cap and THEN resign KG and Allen. Doesn't work that way. Boston is basically locked into the $58 million number now.

Celtics are having Garnett's and Allen's bird rights since they are traded to Boston which means they can go over the cap and resign them if necessary

bagelred
03-30-2012, 05:43 PM
Celtics are having Garnett's and Allen's bird rights since they are traded to Boston which means they can go over the cap and resign them if necessary

Not if you go back under the cap. If they sign KG and Allen now, then that uses Boston's cap space.

gasolina
03-30-2012, 05:43 PM
C'mon man....

The only way to go down to $38 is to renounce their rights. That includes the bird rights

Celtic_Pride
03-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Not if you go back under the cap. If they sign KG and Allen now, then that uses Boston's cap space.

See first they will target some restricted free agents and fill out the bench. After everyone of them are signed, can't they go over the cap and resign the 2?

bagelred
03-30-2012, 05:51 PM
See first they will target some restricted free agents and fill out the bench. After everyone of them are signed, can't they go over the cap and resign the 2?

No, unless they use an exception I guess. But basically no.......

bagelred
04-25-2012, 10:09 AM
Version 1.3 added. Updated draft pick amounts.

chips93
04-25-2012, 10:19 AM
sit back and watch all the free agents flock to cleveland :pimp:

It's A VC3!!!
04-25-2012, 10:22 AM
45 minutes of work? You could have found this exact chart on the Internet.:facepalm

I wonder since Landry Fields will possibly be gone if the Knicks can give me a roster spot. I know their roster is stacked but their record isn't indicative of that so maybe I'll get a spot and help them win some games. Or possibly help them win a playoff game for once and avoid being called one of the worst franchises.

Getting back at you niko for your first page stupidity post.:oldlol:

niko
04-25-2012, 10:24 AM
45 minutes of work? You could have found this exact chart on the Internet.:facepalm

I wonder since Landry Fields will possibly be gone if the Knicks can give me a roster spot. I know their roster is stacked but their record isn't indicative of that so maybe I'll get a spot and help them win some games. Or possibly help them win a playoff game for once and avoid being called one of the worst franchises.

Getting back at you niko for your first page stupidity post.:oldlol:
If you can help us win games ill sign you unless you really are Vince Carter in which case no thank you. I didn't get the GM job though if you heard...

And no i didn't get the roster spot. I asked if i could be Deron's stand in on those days he doesn't feel like playing but they said no too. Some guy named Gaines does that.

PleezeBelieve
04-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Man, Cavs sitting pretty. Real pretty.

PleezeBelieve
04-25-2012, 11:27 AM
If I'm the Cavs I sign OJ Mayo to a four-year 40 million offer, draft Michael Kidd Gilchrist with the #3 pick and Fab Melody with the Lakers pick and we set for five years without being close to the cap.

Irving
Mayo
MKG
Tristan
Melo

Darius
04-25-2012, 12:12 PM
For LAC:

I think Mo Williams might not exercise his $8.5m option.

I agree he won't find anyone to pay him that much next year... but at his age he might be better off signing for MLE money on a longer term basis (4yrs) to get more money guaranteed.

Plus he is an emotional player and wants to start which he won't do in LA.

That would leave Clippers with $8m to play with.

Darius
04-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Man, Cavs sitting pretty. Real pretty.

LMAO except who is going to sign there?

Whoah10115
04-25-2012, 12:26 PM
If I'm the Cavs I sign OJ Mayo to a four-year 40 million offer, draft Michael Kidd Gilchrist with the #3 pick and Fab Melody with the Lakers pick and we set for five years without being close to the cap.

Irving
Mayo
MKG
Tristan
Melo

Well Varejao is better than he is so it makes more sense to first trade him and see what you can get in a trade for him. Maybe you combine that and the pick and get a lower pick.

And you don't have the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or any other draft pick yet. So let's see where you land. Besides, MKG is expected to go #2 right now.

Draz
04-25-2012, 01:08 PM
so jay z's just gravy huh. mm.. next place they movie will be serbia.

BlackWhiteGreen
04-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Nice stuff :applause:

One thing to go with for the Celtics: I think it's likely that they sign Green. He's been around the team since his surgery and we'd be able to get him cheap(ish) because no one else will touch him.

I'm guessing Bass will walk away from his option and someone offers him what we don't want to ($8m+)... And I doubt Ainge goes to sign a Gordon-type with the cap space. It'd be nice though... perfect offseason goes something like this:

start at $30.8
KG signs for 2 years $5m per year
Steimsma re-signs at $0.9m
Re-sign Pietrus for 2 yrs/$2m per (we'd be lucky to get him so cheap though)
Sign a PF/C (can Spencer Hawes play PF?) at $7-8m per

Round out the roster with rookies and guys like Quis and Sasha.

Not 100% if that adds up but that'd be my ideal offseason.

niko
04-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Nice stuff :applause:

One thing to go with for the Celtics: I think it's likely that they sign Green. He's been around the team since his surgery and we'd be able to get him cheap(ish) because no one else will touch him.

I'm guessing Bass will walk away from his option and someone offers him what we don't want to ($8m+)... And I doubt Ainge goes to sign a Gordon-type with the cap space. It'd be nice though... perfect offseason goes something like this:

start at $30.8
KG signs for 2 years $5m per year
Steimsma re-signs at $0.9m
Re-sign Pietrus for 2 yrs/$2m per (we'd be lucky to get him so cheap though)
Sign a PF/C (can Spencer Hawes play PF?) at $7-8m per

Round out the roster with rookies and guys like Quis and Sasha.

Not 100% if that adds up but that'd be my ideal offseason.
They should go after Gerald Green as well. What could be better for the Celtics than all that Green?

blablabla
04-25-2012, 02:19 PM
LMAO except who is going to sign there?
why not
not everyone is looking for sandy beaches and great nightclubs, especially not the free agents this year
i think a guy like melo would sign with cleveland

niko
04-25-2012, 02:21 PM
why not
not everyone is looking for sandy beaches and great nightclubs, especially not the free agents this year
i think a guy like melo would sign with cleveland
yeah, even if you are shit **** rich, sometimes you just feel like being in the ghetto.

DTreats
04-25-2012, 02:29 PM
Boston should bring in Gerald Green,Willie Green, that Green scrub in San Antonio and Donte Greene:bowdown:

bagelred
06-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Version 2.0

Amounts updated for recent trades, first round draft picks, and a few options decisions. Look it over for your team and see if need adjustments.