PDA

View Full Version : Can you dunk??

MetsPackers
03-31-2012, 03:48 AM
I know I can. dunking is is probably one of my most valuble bball skills! I looove dunking, and please believe the ladies do too loll

They be like :bowdown: and i be like :pimp: then :banana: then she be like
:applause: and i be like :cheers:

Can any'ya fools dunk??

Rake2204
03-31-2012, 03:56 PM
I am known to perform a slam dunk shot from time to time. The ladies seem to be indifferent.

Pushxx
03-31-2012, 11:31 PM
I can dunk at 6' but not well.

Gives me a lot of respect when I play pick-up, but that's about it.

ace23
04-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Yeah, about two inches from windmilling.

6' BTW.

RaininTwos
04-02-2012, 10:07 AM
I can't dunk, but I get high enough to deny people at the rim lol.

D-Wade316
04-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Nope. I'm 5'5.5". :lol

Go Getter
04-02-2012, 06:34 PM
I could when I played a lot I'm not sure right now.

I stopped caring really after my junior year.

I missed a dunk in practice and my coach lined me and the other guys that wanted to dunk in games and asked us to show him what we had. If you couldn't make 9/10 he told us we could not try in a game. I made like 4/10.

After that, I gave up on dunking and concentrated on my game.

I was only 5'8" in HS, barely 5'11"-6" now.

SourPatchKids
04-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Maybe in 2 1/2 years.

Rake2204
04-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Maybe in 2 1/2 years.
How old are you? Height?

KokoWarzone
05-01-2012, 12:34 AM
im 5"5 cant touch the board to save my life :oldlol:

but my mid range and iq make up for it.

Lebron23
05-01-2012, 03:54 AM
Cheryfer and Humanontropin will make you grow taller if you are under 18 yrs.old.

D-Wade316
05-01-2012, 07:42 AM
Cheryfer and Humanontropin will make you grow taller if you are under 18 yrs.old.
Nah. It's more about genes than supplements.

NotYetGreat
05-20-2012, 07:26 AM
Plus Cherrifer supposedly makes your pee-pee small. :oldlol:

Anyway, not yet, which I find pathetic considering I'm 5'11. I grab rim and have gone a long way from last year but can't put the ball in yet. Workin' on it though.

Rake2204
05-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Anyway, not yet, which I find pathetic considering I'm 5'11. I grab rim and have gone a long way from last year but can't put the ball in yet. Workin' on it though.
Dunking at 5'11'' is a mix bag and it's most certainly not pathetic to find yourself on the side of not dunking. I'd say 5'11'' is a good height. If you never dunk, no one will blame you. But if you do end up dunking, it'll be a bonus, for people will be impressed.

NotYetGreat
05-21-2012, 03:20 AM
Dunking at 5'11'' is a mix bag and it's most certainly not pathetic to find yourself on the side of not dunking. I'd say 5'11'' is a good height. If you never dunk, no one will blame you. But if you do end up dunking, it'll be a bonus, for people will be impressed.

Well, yeah, that's true. It's just that even in this country of really short people, I see a lot of people outjump me. Plus I'm my own worst critic. :oldlol:

Lebron23
05-21-2012, 03:47 AM
IS top rim considered dunking?

Rake2204
05-28-2012, 12:29 PM
IS top rim considered dunking?
I do not understand what you mean.

LBJFTW
05-28-2012, 11:02 PM
Anyone ever see someone pull a quarter off the top of an NBA regulation backboard?

NotYetGreat
05-29-2012, 01:17 AM
I do not understand what you mean.

I think he meant tap rim :oldlol:

pauk
05-29-2012, 07:54 PM
With good warmup and nice running takeof i can dunk with one hand, am around 6'0".... left leg running takeof only tho, i can at max barelly grab the rim of two feet no matter what i do, am kindof like Dr J, Lebron, James White in that way i get my highest vertical of one leg (left leg)

Salazaar
05-29-2012, 08:37 PM
I'm 6'0'' but far from being able to dunk. In fact, I've never seen a guy around 6'0'' dunk. Maybe it's because me and the people I play with are all white

Lebron23
08-06-2012, 10:55 AM
I think he meant tap rim :oldlol:

This

Pushxx
08-08-2012, 11:50 PM
I'm 6'0'' but far from being able to dunk. In fact, I've never seen a guy around 6'0'' dunk. Maybe it's because me and the people I play with are all white

I'm white and don't understand why so many white people suck at jumping. It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy: they suck at jumping because they think they are supposed to.

Go lift weights 3-4 times a week and play a ton of basketball and you should dunk if you are 6"+.

Just gotta put your mind and body into it.

jbot
08-09-2012, 02:43 AM
used to when i was younger easily. only simple one and two handed mostly but could reverse too. i lost over 20 pounds about 1.5 yrs ago and did barely dunk.

Burgz V2
08-09-2012, 03:04 AM
6'2. Yes I can dunk.

KDTrey5
08-09-2012, 01:42 PM
easily

plowking
08-09-2012, 10:12 PM
Used to be able to do it a lot better than before. Now the best I can do is a one hander off the bounce. Think Fred Jones style in the 2004 dunk contest, just not as much pull back.

Before, it was the windmill as my best dunk. Off one foot, not two. So more Andre Igoudala style. I've never been great off two feet. I think in my lifetime I've thrown down about two 360's... They feel retarded to me, and I just couldn't ever find the rhythm to throw them down nicely.
Best dunk I've ever done in a game was a put back off a free throw. The dude below me on the block got a nice face-full of nuts. In terms of fast break, I only ever got as fancy as doing the Latrell Sprewell two handed tomahawk. Didn't wanna mess up and look stupid.

/end my life story. thanks for reading.

Rake2204
08-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Used to be able to do it a lot better than before. Now the best I can do is a one hander off the bounce. Think Fred Jones style in the 2004 dunk contest, just not as much pull back.

Before, it was the windmill as my best dunk. Off one foot, not two. So more Andre Igoudala style. I've never been great off two feet. I think in my lifetime I've thrown down about two 360's... They feel retarded to me, and I just couldn't ever find the rhythm to throw them down nicely.
Best dunk I've ever done in a game was a put back off a free throw. The dude below me on the block got a nice face-full of nuts. In terms of fast break, I only ever got as fancy as doing the Latrell Sprewell two handed tomahawk. Didn't wanna mess up and look stupid.

/end my life story. thanks for reading.
What is your age? I ask because I was surprised to read you could once windmill but now can only dunk off the bounce. How many years are you removed from windmilling?

plowking
08-10-2012, 12:39 AM
What is your age? I ask because I was surprised to read you could once windmill but now can only dunk off the bounce. How many years are you removed from windmilling?

This is the sad thing lol... I'm 21.
My knees hurt like hell after every basketball session now, but I keep playing. :oldlol:

I could windmill when I was 17/18. I was only about 75-80kg (165-175lbs) and around the same height at 6'3. Now I've been hitting the gym the last 4 years and I've put on about 15-25kg, depending on if I'm bulking or cutting. So I sit anywhere between 215-235lbs.

Its not just off the bounce. I can still do the typical one hand and two hand dunk off one foot. As well as a one hander off two feet. I just think the alley to myself with a little bit of pull back looks the best.

Rake2204
08-10-2012, 09:39 AM
This is the sad thing lol... I'm 21.
My knees hurt like hell after every basketball session now, but I keep playing. :oldlol:

I could windmill when I was 17/18. I was only about 75-80kg (165-175lbs) and around the same height at 6'3. Now I've been hitting the gym the last 4 years and I've put on about 15-25kg, depending on if I'm bulking or cutting. So I sit anywhere between 215-235lbs.

Its not just off the bounce. I can still do the typical one hand and two hand dunk off one foot. As well as a one hander off two feet. I just think the alley to myself with a little bit of pull back looks the best.
Oh gotcha. It's clear now. I thought you were saying you couldn't do any other dunks now aside from the bounce. Your explanation makes much more sense.

Also, there's comfort in being able to pull off that bounce dunk while bringing it back a little bit. It means you could have scored a 50 in an NBA Dunk Contest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2yfZ7yZ-XY

TMacMagic
08-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Sure. On my mini-hoop.

Burgz V2
08-10-2012, 01:59 PM
Oh gotcha. It's clear now. I thought you were saying you couldn't do any other dunks now aside from the bounce. Your explanation makes much more sense.

Also, there's comfort in being able to pull off that bounce dunk while bringing it back a little bit. It means you could have scored a 50 in an NBA Dunk Contest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2yfZ7yZ-XY

i remember watching that in HS

when you watch the dunk contest you wanna see dudes do dunks you could never do, i do that dunk in warmups :facepalm

KDTrey5
08-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Sure. On my mini-hoop.
:coleman:

SourPatchKids
08-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Brb. Going outside.

SourPatchKids
08-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Nope. almost though.

KDTrey5
08-10-2012, 07:37 PM
Nope. almost though.
:biggums:

plowking
08-11-2012, 04:58 AM

Yeah, that's hilarious...
I can't remember all of Fred Jones' dunks, but I'm pretty sure I could do all of them when I was 18, since I don't remember anything spectacular from him that year. It was all J-Rich's dunks (as usual) that got me amped up that year.

Rake2204
08-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Yeah, that's hilarious...
I can't remember all of Fred Jones' dunks, but I'm pretty sure I could do all of them when I was 18, since I don't remember anything spectacular from him that year. It was all J-Rich's dunks (as usual) that got me amped up that year.
Yep, the only two I'm remembering off hand is that first Jones dunk and his first finals dunk, where he performed a pretty solid bounce-360 extension. It would have been a great opening round dunk, but I was still so bitter about him making the finals in the first place (then winning) that I didn't give that 360 any credit at the time.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc6ziQSscrM

CeltsGarlic
08-28-2012, 07:39 AM
I dunked for my first time! I once had dunked an alley opp, but this one was legit - off 2 feet with one hand. Felt great! I was acting like Im in the post, made a spin move, then 2 quick steps and elevated for the slam. Awesome!

CarlosBoozer
08-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Being 5'7 doesn't really help :( But I hope to get a late growth spurt even though I'm 19 already :mad:

Rake2204
08-30-2012, 11:45 AM
I dunked for my first time! I once had dunked an alley opp, but this one was legit - off 2 feet with one hand. Felt great! I was acting like Im in the post, made a spin move, then 2 quick steps and elevated for the slam. Awesome!Wow, congrats. Particularly impressive that you did it seemingly without a big running start. Nicely done.

millwad
08-30-2012, 04:33 PM
Dunked the first time when I was 14, but it was barely and my first in game dunk was when I was 15-16.

But I've probably played alot more than you guys which gave me an advantage and I'm now 6'7 and I was like 6'3 when I dunked the first time.

ace23
09-02-2012, 04:15 PM
I dunked for my first time! I once had dunked an alley opp, but this one was legit - off 2 feet with one hand. Felt great! I was acting like Im in the post, made a spin move, then 2 quick steps and elevated for the slam. Awesome!
Post a vid. I couldn't dunk off an alley oop until I could dunk with two hands with a running start.

CeltsGarlic
09-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Post a vid. I couldn't dunk off an alley oop until I could dunk with two hands with a running start.

I was talking about those ugly alley opp's when other guy who is standing under a basket and throwing it up like a ref throws a jump ball.

Wow, congrats. Particularly impressive that you did it seemingly without a big running start. Nicely done.

Running start doesnt give me any advantage, or I dont know proper technique. Will try something tomorrow.

ace23
09-08-2012, 04:37 PM
I was talking about those ugly alley opp's when other guy who is standing under a basket and throwing it up like a ref throws a jump ball.
So was I :lol

Rake2204
09-08-2012, 04:57 PM
So was I :lolI think it varies from person to person. I've known a lot of folks who could dunk off the lob Celtic is describing but could not dunk for real. If you think about it, if you've got a friend who can toss a good "jump ball" lob, it more or less turns into a tap-in dunk. On the other side, as you know, dunking for real involves a lot more than just going up and slamming a ball that's already up there waiting for you.

Out of curiosity, what do you think prevented you from dunking on those jump-ball lobs prior to being able to slam two-handed?

senelcoolidge
09-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Well back in high school I could. Nothing fancy. Not a show off at all. I actually preferred to just lay the ball, but I could dunk. 6'1" without shoes. Couple weeks ago I went out to the playground and surprisingly I could still get up (grabbed the rim, tapped the top of the rim). This is without playing basketball on a regular basis and being older..in my 30's now. I still do some light exercise at home, so that probably helps me.

JMT
09-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Until I was 40. No need to try past that.

IGOTGAME
09-17-2012, 06:51 PM
Yes.

MetsPackers
09-28-2012, 04:32 AM
Bump. So I guess the basic consensus from this thread was that i'm the man and a streetball legend. You guys really need to stop jocking me so hard though it's getting kind of weird and uncomfortable. Like, its just the internet settle down

So can anyone else dunk?

Peteballa
09-28-2012, 08:21 PM
Yeah. I'm working on getting better at it.

Rake2204
06-14-2013, 04:01 PM
Until I was 40. No need to try past that.How tall are ya? I'm having my doubts about being able to when I'm 40. I think not being able to palm a ball is going to hurt me by then. I know some 40+ guys who can still dunk and it seems more about their giant hands than their vert.

Jailblazers7
06-14-2013, 04:06 PM
I used to be able to when I played a lot an kept myself in game shape. I'm 6'3" so I didn't have all that much trouble dunking. I haven't played competitively in probably 2-2.5 years and can't get off the ground like I used to. I can still get up to the rim but my hands aren't big enough to palm it for the dunk.

I'll probably spend the summer getting back in shape so I can dunk again. I'm not a big workout guy so I don't care how much I can lift or getting a specific "look" as far as my build goes so dunking will be a nice goal to have.

Rake2204
06-14-2013, 04:13 PM
I used to be able to when I played a lot an kept myself in game shape. I'm 6'3" so I didn't have all that much trouble dunking. I haven't played competitively in probably 2-2.5 years and can't get off the ground like I used to. I can still get up to the rim but my hands aren't big enough to palm it for the dunk.

I'll probably spend the summer getting back in shape so I can dunk again. I'm not a big workout guy so I don't care how much I can lift or getting a specific "look" as far as my build goes so dunking will be a nice goal to have.We sound similar in terms of build and whatnot (I think you mentioned you were the same weight too). I'm pretty sure if I took 2.5 years off from competition I'd probably be in the same boat as you. I have to work to keep things going. How old are you?

Jailblazers7
06-14-2013, 04:46 PM
We sound similar in terms of build and whatnot (I think you mentioned you were the same weight too). I'm pretty sure if I took 2.5 years off from competition I'd probably be in the same boat as you. I have to work to keep things going. How old are you?

22 so I'm still definitely in my athletic prime but laziness has just made me lose whatever explosiveness I had. I bet a month or two of consistent workouts would get me back to where I want to be.

TheFan
06-14-2013, 06:31 PM
NO. but once i made a max vertical leap text and touched the rim.

Peteballa
06-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Yeah. It's my favorite part of my game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1_3GkStxd4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UawmT_nPhik (Older video, not getting up as high but a little more variety)

CelticBaller
06-16-2013, 09:49 PM
I can grab rim, get the ball over the rim but can't dunk :(

Rake2204
06-17-2013, 11:10 AM
22 so I'm still definitely in my athletic prime but laziness has just made me lose whatever explosiveness I had. I bet a month or two of consistent workouts would get me back to where I want to be.Oh for sure. Still plenty of time there.

CeltsGarlic
06-17-2013, 11:31 AM
Yeah. It's my favorite part of my game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1_3GkStxd4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UawmT_nPhik (Older video, not getting up as high but a little more variety)

nice dunks, pete. Good style.

CeltsGarlic
08-26-2013, 10:51 PM
today I went to the local bball court and damn I was flying. Dunking with easy off two or off one, both handers reversals and etc.

Element
08-29-2013, 04:44 PM
I'm 6'2 and I can dunk with ease. Athletic ability and height run through my family. All my brothers can dunk, my dad could my cousins can and we're all at least 6'1.

But I'm coming off surgery on my right foot and haven't played ball in months. In fact, I won't be able to play for 2 more months. I really fear that my athleticism won't be the same and that my skill will have declined...

CeltsGarlic
08-30-2013, 03:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BYakjIDWoA&feature=youtu.be

Rake2204
11-08-2013, 05:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BYakjIDWoA&feature=youtu.beI do not recall you being able to dunk before. Perhaps I have just grown forgetful. Is that a regulation height goal? If so, well done. That looked pretty easy.

$LakerGold
11-08-2013, 06:25 PM
I'm 6'0, & I have no vertical leap at all whatsoever. Kids were like touching the board & stuff, & I couldn't, til a couple of months later... & what's weird was, I played F/C in our league back home & SG/SF in JV/Varsity, & I out rebound the **** out of everyone... I guess my instincts/anticipation is good? And by that, it gives me the ability to anticipate where the ball is headed after a shot is missed & position myself correctly? Because seriously, out of 8 times, I jump higher than them & get the ball.... & this has been bugging me for YEARS. & yeah, let me post too ... haha you don't want none of that.

What are your thoughts on that ISH?

For me, I don't know the right word, but let's start with -- bizarre & weird. lol

$LakerGold
11-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Nah. It's more about genes than supplements.
& hardwork. You gotta do those squats & vertical leap exercises!

Look. my mom & dad are short as f*** ... 5'6 & 5'2 ... & I'm 6 ft.! & I didn't take any supplements while growing up! NO VITAMINS, NOTHING! JUST PLAYED & PLAYED... I drank milk like a motherf*cker, though. Not one of those fake commercialized milk in the Philippines like bear brand & f*cking Nido ... I was drinking the real milk produced in the states! I live in a US military base in Germany at that time with the fam.... just sayin. lol

Rake2204
11-08-2013, 06:39 PM
I'm 6'0, & I have no vertical leap at all whatsoever. Kids were like touching the board & stuff, & I couldn't, til a couple of months later... & what's weird was, I played F/C in our league back home & SG/SF in JV/Varsity, & I out rebound the **** out of everyone... I guess my instincts/anticipation is good? And by that, it gives me the ability to anticipate where the ball is headed after a shot is missed & position myself correctly? Because seriously, out of 8 times, I jump higher than them & get the ball.... & this has been bugging me for YEARS. & yeah, let me post too ... haha you don't want none of that.

What are your thoughts on that ISH?

For me, I don't know the right word, but let's start with -- bizarre & weird. lolFor me that tells me you've got a good motor, instincts, and positioning. It gets said a lot, but jumping high does not necessarily make a good rebounder. It's but one piece of the puzzle. Rebounding is kind of like defense, in that a lot of folks don't always want to do what's required to be great at it.

CeltsGarlic
11-12-2013, 10:22 AM
I do not recall you being able to dunk before. Perhaps I have just grown forgetful. Is that a regulation height goal? If so, well done. That looked pretty easy.

Its was most definitely couple inches lower. But Im more than capable of jamming it on a 10ft.

You are correct, I wasnt able to dunk last summer, but somehow every year my jump improves. Im almost 21 but still growing.

Rake2204
11-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Its was most definitely couple inches lower. But Im more than capable of jamming it on a 10ft.

You are correct, I wasnt able to dunk last summer, but somehow every year my jump improves. Im almost 21 but still growing.Good stuff, sir. I went through the same thing after high school. I didn't grow anymore height-wise beyond age 16 or 17, but my body continued to develop physically well into my 20's.

Ill Will
11-23-2013, 12:51 AM
i've picked up basketball recently but have a decent vertical from playing volleyball. i can grab the rim with two hands from a running start, but i have mediocre ball handling and dribbling skills and it seems like when i jump with a ball i have to focus on holding the ball and not jumping. what kind of footwork/hold should i try and does dunking a tennis ball and working up really help?

D-Wade316
11-23-2013, 09:26 AM
I'm probably 2-4" from touching the rim.

Jailblazers7
12-04-2013, 01:37 PM

I'll probably spend the summer getting back in shape so I can dunk again. I'm not a big workout guy so I don't care how much I can lift or getting a specific "look" as far as my build goes so dunking will be a nice goal to have.

Update:

Still haven't played in a while but after about 2 months of lifting 4-5 days per week I stopped by a court to test it out. It took a couple jumps to warm up but I was able to get a weak dunk down. I'm probably 2-3 inches away from throwing it down consistently and another inch or two away from doing in game dunks. I think by summer I will be throwing it down again easily.

Rake2204
12-04-2013, 01:54 PM
Update:

Still haven't played in a while but after about 2 months of lifting 4-5 days per week I stopped by a court to test it out. It took a couple jumps to warm up but I was able to get a weak dunk down. I'm probably 2-3 inches away from throwing it down consistently and another inch or two away from doing in game dunks. I think by summer I will be throwing it down again easily.Yup. I've got no doubts. If you get out there at 22 and start playing again, being as close to dunking consistently as you are already, it's going to be pretty legit.

Underballer
01-06-2014, 05:11 AM
anyone here have a very weak 1 leg jump compared to their 2 leg jump? i don't think i can touch the rim off 1 leg, but i can easily grab the rim with 2 hands and i can even grab the rim with 1 hand off of a standstill jump

TylerOO
01-06-2014, 04:26 PM
anyone here have a very weak 1 leg jump compared to their 2 leg jump? i don't think i can touch the rim off 1 leg, but i can easily grab the rim with 2 hands and i can even grab the rim with 1 hand off of a standstill jump

I'm the opposite. I jump way higher jumping off one foot

Underballer
01-06-2014, 06:19 PM
I'm the opposite. I jump way higher jumping off one foot

yea, a lot of people I know jump higher off 1 foot, but then again, I don't know anyone that can dunk. anyway, can u dunk ? and what wat do u do for ur vert? I personally only squat and deadlift and I jump around a bit at home and test myself when I go to play pickup

Rake2204
01-06-2014, 06:39 PM
anyone here have a very weak 1 leg jump compared to their 2 leg jump? i don't think i can touch the rim off 1 leg, but i can easily grab the rim with 2 hands and i can even grab the rim with 1 hand off of a standstill jumpI've found it can be at least somewhat habitual. I went through a phase where I decided I liked two-foot dunking's style best, so I focused on that and my one-leg leaping suffered. It took some concentrated reps and workouts to get myself comfortable with dunking off one leg again a few years later.

Also, I think some people just have a natural disposition. Consider Jason Richardson, one of the greatest dunkers of all-time when he's leaping off two feet, but strangely pedestrian when trying to jump off one.

Underballer
01-06-2014, 08:04 PM
ah I see. btw, do u also agree that every athlete can jump higher off two if they are taught correctly?

Josh
01-07-2014, 12:49 AM
When I was in HS, I could dunk a tennis ball; came really close to a volleyball once. I'm 5'8. 5'9 on a good day.

:lol

Rake2204
01-07-2014, 10:40 AM
ah I see. btw, do u also agree that every athlete can jump higher off two if they are taught correctly?I'm not really sure. I don't have enough knowledge in that regard. There's some athletes I have a hard time imagining being higher leapers off two feet than one (James White, for one) but as I said, I don't really know.

Josh
01-08-2014, 12:10 AM
Pathetic and unbelievable someone would neg me because I said I could at one time dunk a tennis ball.

:oldlol:

Wow, e-ga'z is that mad, that i-LL that someone else got hop'is'z and they don't. I can probably barely even get the rim these days. I wonder how pissed off dude (whoever negged me) would be if I could actually dunk an actual basketball? Probably slit my throat if they had the opportunity. Being able to dunk and someone else can't ... man, that's entering some mega i-LL hate territory. Next time someone asks you if you can dunk - just say NO. You tell 'em no no matter what; you hear me? Protect ya neck, like the Wu. Don't go chasin' waterfalls and lettin' some ability to jam a tennis ball end up with you on the receiving end of someone's knife.

:facepalm

Burgz V2
01-08-2014, 12:30 AM
I'm not really sure. I don't have enough knowledge in that regard. There's some athletes I have a hard time imagining being higher leapers off two feet than one (James White, for one) but as I said, I don't really know.

in HS i used to fly off one foot and could barely jump off two, but since i started lifting it has reversed completely. might have to do with a person's muscle/skeletal structure and their maximum athletic abilities. I guess that might mean for me when im closer to my peak abilities and strength my two foot vert is better. But from what I've seen I have yet to meet someone who started lifting and their one foot vert skyrocketed and their two foot vert plummeted.

jamal99
01-08-2014, 12:50 AM
I've found it can be at least somewhat habitual. I went through a phase where I decided I liked two-foot dunking's style best, so I focused on that and my one-leg leaping suffered. It took some concentrated reps and workouts to get myself comfortable with dunking off one leg again a few years later.

Also, I think some people just have a natural disposition. Consider Jason Richardson, one of the greatest dunkers of all-time when he's leaping off two feet, but strangely pedestrian when trying to jump off one.
I like 2-foot style better too, but right-left combination like VC contrary to Richardson left-right, that's for right handed players/dunks of course.
Kinda ironic that I'm a 1-footed jumper who can only jump with left-right combination off 2 feet :oldlol:

Underballer
01-09-2014, 04:41 AM
Pathetic and unbelievable someone would neg me because I said I could at one time dunk a tennis ball.

:oldlol:

Wow, e-ga'z is that mad, that i-LL that someone else got hop'is'z and they don't. I can probably barely even get the rim these days. I wonder how pissed off dude (whoever negged me) would be if I could actually dunk an actual basketball? Probably slit my throat if they had the opportunity. Being able to dunk and someone else can't ... man, that's entering some mega i-LL hate territory. Next time someone asks you if you can dunk - just say NO. You tell 'em no no matter what; you hear me? Protect ya neck, like the Wu. Don't go chasin' waterfalls and lettin' some ability to jam a tennis ball end up with you on the receiving end of someone's knife.

:facepalm

no need to get mad lol. i doubt they negged u cuz u could dunk, probably saw u only had 1 green bar and would be funny putting a 2007 into red lol. same thing happened to me

Rake2204
01-09-2014, 10:52 AM
I like 2-foot style better too, but right-left combination like VC contrary to Richardson left-right, that's for right handed players/dunks of course.
Kinda ironic that I'm a 1-footed jumper who can only jump with left-right combination off 2 feet :oldlol:I went through my primary two feet phase in high school and it sucked. It was cool to pull off in practice and in layup lines, but as a left-right two foot leaper standing at 6'3'', I mostly squandered my in-game dunking opportunities. Trying to set my feet on high speed breakaways was a mess and it often allowed defenders to catch up and make a play or commit a foul (if I didn't slip on the court trying too hard to set my feet at full speed).

In contrast, switching back over to being a one foot primary dunker after high school was a life changer. For a guy my size, it's tough to beat the ability to blaze into the open floor and elevate at high speed without breaking stride. My in-game dunks absolutely sky-rocketed when I made the change. I still like dunking off two feet in practice, but the only time I really pull that off in-game is if I've somehow found myself dangerously alone in the front court, usually off of a really bad turnover, thus allowing me to mosey in and finish however I want. I'd say the in-game one-foot:two foot dunk ratio for me at this point is 35:1

Edit: Maybe the ratio is a little smaller than that. I forgot any tip dunks or oops I throw down (quite rarely) still tend to come off of two-foot plants.

Burgz V2
01-09-2014, 11:46 AM
I went through my primary two feet phase in high school and it sucked. It was cool to pull off in practice and in layup lines, but as a left-right two foot leaper standing at 6'3'', I mostly squandered my in-game dunking opportunities. Trying to set my feet on high speed breakaways was a mess and it often allowed defenders to catch up and make a play or commit a foul (if I didn't slip on the court trying too hard to set my feet at full speed).

In contrast, switching back over to being a one foot primary dunker after high school was a life changer. For a guy my size, it's tough to beat the ability to blaze into the open floor and elevate at high speed without breaking stride. My in-game dunks absolutely sky-rocketed when I made the change. I still like dunking off two feet in practice, but the only time I really pull that off in-game is if I've somehow found myself dangerously alone in the front court, usually off of a really bad turnover, thus allowing me to mosey in and finish however I want. I'd say the in-game one-foot:two foot dunk ratio for me at this point is 35:1

Edit: Maybe the ratio is a little smaller than that. I forgot any tip dunks or oops I throw down (quite rarely) still tend to come off of two-foot plants.

yea you'll never pull off a left-right two foot dunk on a break with someone chasing you. The extra step is all it takes to either get blocked or put yourself in serious danger. I was always taught if someone is trailing you always jump off one foot and always dunk with two hands.

Rake2204
01-09-2014, 04:52 PM
yea you'll never pull off a left-right two foot dunk on a break with someone chasing you. The extra step is all it takes to either get blocked or put yourself in serious danger. I was always taught if someone is trailing you always jump off one foot and always dunk with two hands.Yeah, no one ever taught me that. I started off as a one-foot dunker then once I developed the ability to dunk off two feet, I liked the feeling of being able to hang on the rim with two hands more easily. So I did that so much that I kind of lost the ability to dunk off one foot my junior and senior years. I hadn't quite put the "left foot-right foot vs. right foot-left foot" puzzle together at that point. I just figured two foot dunking was two foot dunking.

I will say, since high school, I've always preferred one foot, one hand when a defender was trailing. I tend to reserve the one foot two-handers for when I know I'll be able to elevate and finish without being disrupted. Having two hands up there seems to make my body a lot more vulnerable to contact and tough falls, especially when jumping off one foot. The one hand finish gives me more stability and a higher peak point.

D.J.
01-10-2014, 01:51 AM
I'm 6'8". Be pretty pathetic if I couldn't. :oldlol:

jamal99
01-10-2014, 02:33 AM
yea you'll never pull off a left-right two foot dunk on a break with someone chasing you. The extra step is all it takes to either get blocked or put yourself in serious danger. I was always taught if someone is trailing you always jump off one foot and always dunk with two hands.
My left-right 2 footed jump is much quicker than right-left, but still very slow I guess lol.
If someone is trailing, all you need to do is to dunk it quick. I got my shit blocked one time when I crossed a guy and went for a one-handed dunk off 1 foot totally casual, like I was alone in the practice. Guy just tipped it out of my hand...

Underballer
01-10-2014, 05:26 AM
i will definitely try to transition to 1 foot now, but will still keep my 2 foot gather, since it is important for blocks, rebounds, and you can get up really high if you're in the clear

oarabbus
01-10-2014, 05:49 PM
I can't even touch the rim. I'm 5' 6", Damn unathletic genes.

ace23
01-11-2014, 02:08 AM
Used to be 3 inches or so from putting down a windmill. Put on 15-20 lbs in the last 4 months and can barely dunk now. :oldlol:

Josh
01-11-2014, 02:29 PM
Used to be 3 inches or so from putting down a windmill. Put on 15-20 lbs in the last 4 months and can barely dunk now. :oldlol:

How tall are you? What's your height? I'm 5'8 so at one time being able to dunk a tennis ball wasn't too bad, considering I'm white.

ace23
01-12-2014, 03:33 AM
How tall are you? What's your height? I'm 5'8 so at one time being able to dunk a tennis ball wasn't too bad, considering I'm white.

I'm 6'1

miggyme1
01-13-2014, 03:25 AM
I'm 6'1

what did u do to increase your vert homie

blazersfan52
01-13-2014, 12:41 PM
Can't quite dunk, technically have kinda of like Dwight Howards Freethrow line dunk, just the ball hit the rim and rolled up and in, but I am almost there to being able to put it in with two hands because not strong enough to palm a basketball, but thats what I get for being 6 foot 125 :lol

ace23
01-13-2014, 08:37 PM
what did u do to increase your vert homie
Jump a lot (everyday) and squat occasionally, maybe twice a week.

Rodmantheman
01-13-2014, 11:23 PM
Easily:D

D.J.
01-14-2014, 07:23 PM
but thats what I get for being 6 foot 125 :lol

:eek: Did Manute Bol shrink a foot and a half?

blazersfan52
01-14-2014, 08:27 PM
:eek: Did Manute Bol shrink a foot and a half?
I'm white so no... :lol But I do affect a lot of shots because of long arms :rockon:

Underballer
01-18-2014, 02:23 AM
I'm white so no... :lol But I do affect a lot of shots because of long arms :rockon:

i consider myself pretty skinny at 6 foot 155 lol, but i'd look like a skeleton if i were 125 lol. you sure you're not counting your height in shoes? cuz i'm pretty sure i'm 6'1 in shoes (maybe even 6'2)

El Gato Negro
01-18-2014, 02:56 PM
dunk and palm a basketball.

blazersfan52
01-18-2014, 11:13 PM
i consider myself pretty skinny at 6 foot 155 lol, but i'd look like a skeleton if i were 125 lol. you sure you're not counting your height in shoes? cuz i'm pretty sure i'm 6'1 in shoes (maybe even 6'2)
Always got shoes off when ever I am measuring, I come from a family that my parents were real skinny when they were younger, and both my great grandpas were skinny their entire lifes, so ya I am pretty sure:lol

Combat Wombat
01-19-2014, 06:10 AM
Dunked for the first time in 2 years yesterday despite 2 knee procedures in those two years. Being 2m/6'6-7" certainly helped but if I was any shorter, I wouldn't have been able to get that elevation with my knee.

Underballer
01-28-2014, 04:15 AM
been practicing my one leg jump recently, and for some reason i jump higher off 1 leg WITH a basketball. weird huh? maybe im just programmed to do it from practicing doing layups and stuff. for 2 leg jumping, its the opposite though, i can get a lot higher off an alley oop

oarabbus
01-31-2014, 04:32 AM

If your 6' 125lbs I'm surprised your hand hasn't been shattered as you block a shot.

Al Thorton
01-31-2014, 05:18 AM
I can do a 180 off one foot on a nerf hoop. that sounds lame to you but the nerf hoop is 11 feet up. that sounds impressive to you but i'm jumping off a trampoline. that sounds lame to you but the trampoline is on fire and over a pit of alligators

Lebron23
01-31-2014, 05:46 AM
I can touch the rim, But i cannot palm the ball. I can do a tap board.

I can dunk in a 11 feet rim.

blazersfan52
01-31-2014, 02:01 PM
If your 6' 125lbs I'm surprised your hand hasn't been shattered as you block a shot.
Surprisingly I don't get hurt often, other than a few bumps and bruises I am most of the time on 100% other than small nagging things that happen to everyone. But I've almost dunked it as of late but my ankle I rolled it and have played on it three times and hurt it worse everytime since then and still getting easy rim grab two handed.

Al Thorton
02-01-2014, 05:22 AM
anybody ever try those jump soles? any luck? are you white?

Al Thorton
02-01-2014, 05:23 AM
sometimes I think it would be better to just know you'll never dunk so you could work on your below the rim game in peace, not always be jumping and tyring to touch higher things, trying to just push the ball through the basket instead of throwing it in

Al Thorton
02-01-2014, 05:23 AM
but to give a straight answer for once, no, I can't dunk a regulation basketball on a regulation goal

Rake2204
02-01-2014, 11:02 AM
anybody ever try those jump soles? any luck? are you white?My brother's friend left his Strength Shoes at our house for a few months, like, 15 years ago. I went hard on them for a while. They weren't magical, as in, they didn't boost my vert five inches in two weeks, but I did feel like they activated and worked muscles quickly and readily.

http://www.strength-shoes.com/images/strength-shoes-old-model.jpg

bergs14
04-07-2014, 06:20 AM
Anyone ever tried out the APL shoes for dunking? Any gains?

01amberfirewv
04-07-2014, 09:31 AM
anybody ever try those jump soles? any luck? are you white?

I hate when people use white as an excuse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=003GZXkT8z4&safe=active

NZStreetBaller
04-25-2014, 07:37 PM
im 6 foot 185lbs (i think thats 85kg) cant even touch the damn rim on a 10 foot hoop. Its so annoying. lucky im a good shooter

tgan3
04-25-2014, 08:25 PM
im 5'9 but have a short wingspan so probably im like a 5'7 person. I only touched the rim once, but I get rim connector easily. (That was in the teens though, dont know bout now) I believed I can jump pretty well but the short wingspan was killing me lol, most of the time Im off a couple inches only.

Akrazotile
04-25-2014, 11:48 PM
Of course I can dunk. I just choose not to.

Rake2204
04-26-2014, 10:21 PM
Just now getting able to head out to the courts after a lonnnnng winter. 30 years old, but still doing alright.

http://makeagif.com/media/4-26-2014/LUHwR3.gif

Sidenote, any better gif-making sites out there? Gifninja used to be awesome, but it shut down. Now I can only find ones where you animate jpgs or ones that have really poor framerates.

Underballer
04-27-2014, 05:43 AM
Just now getting able to head out to the courts after a lonnnnng winter. 30 years old, but still doing alright.

http://makeagif.com/media/4-26-2014/LUHwR3.gif

Sidenote, any better gif-making sites out there? Gifninja used to be awesome, but it shut down. Now I can only find ones where you animate jpgs or ones that have really poor framerates.

nice dude. what have you been doing to maintain your vertical? try using imgur btw.

Rake2204
04-28-2014, 03:21 PM
nice dude. what have you been doing to maintain your vertical? try using imgur btw.I just try to stay active, man. One of the bigger things is just getting out on the court and playing. I've been coaching teams during the winter in years past and I actually fully participate in most of the drills for which we take part, so that helps. Otherwise, it can be tough to find a lot of available basketball during the snowy midwestern winters.

When the winter doldrums hit though, in recent years I've been tinkering with a program called Air Alert, not so much for getting a 40'' vert (which I'll never have) but more as a means of just keeping the body active, working, and jumping. I also try to jog, run, jump rope, and mountain bike. I'm not sure which ones are good for jumping and which aren't, but I figure if nothing else, exercise will serve a purpose one way or another.

Also, thanks for the imugr recommendation. I'll give it a shot.

Underballer
06-02-2014, 04:30 AM
I just try to stay active, man. One of the bigger things is just getting out on the court and playing. I've been coaching teams during the winter in years past and I actually fully participate in most of the drills for which we take part, so that helps. Otherwise, it can be tough to find a lot of available basketball during the snowy midwestern winters.

When the winter doldrums hit though, in recent years I've been tinkering with a program called Air Alert, not so much for getting a 40'' vert (which I'll never have) but more as a means of just keeping the body active, working, and jumping. I also try to jog, run, jump rope, and mountain bike. I'm not sure which ones are good for jumping and which aren't, but I figure if nothing else, exercise will serve a purpose one way or another.

Also, thanks for the imugr recommendation. I'll give it a shot.

ah, i see. whats your standing reach and wingspan btw?

Rake2204
06-02-2014, 11:35 AM
ah, i see. whats your standing reach and wingspan btw?My standing reach is 7'11'' (95 inches). I do not know my wingspan off-hand, but I believe it correlates almost directly to my height (6'3''). I was not blessed with long arms or big hands (cannot palm a ball).

Myth
06-02-2014, 04:08 PM
It has been nearly 10 years since I dunked.

Rake2204
06-08-2014, 07:48 PM
A quick note regarding would-be dunkers: if you cannot palm a ball, still try when attempting to dunk. I've found over the years I sometimes go through these lapses where I'm just naturally holding the ball when I'm trying to elevate for a dunk. It's not a super weak grip, but just not a super strong one either.

I've found if I consciously try to squeeze the rock when I'm collecting for a dunk, it gives me more control and possibly more momentum, as the flexing or exertion in the arms may contribute to a more aggressive takeoff. I used to think one can either palm the ball or they can't, but I think there's a whole range of middle ground. A slight bit of grip is better than having none at all, and by making certain to spread your fingers on the ball and trying to grip it hard, a little more control can be had.

Maybe that sounds obvious to everyone, but I thought I'd share just in case. Like I said, for some reason I go through lapses where I elevate with a good grip on the ball, but not quite a great grip, and it negatively affects my ability to finish above the rim.

It has been nearly 10 years since I dunked.How old are you?

Swaggin916
06-08-2014, 09:22 PM
^^^ Will keep that in mind. I'm training again right now to put down some dunks and I'm right in that middle ground in terms of palming.

Milbuck
06-08-2014, 11:30 PM
How much can you increase your vert in around 3-4 months? Right now I'm around 6'1" in shoes, 175 pounds. I can hang on rim, can't quite dunk.

MP.Trey
06-09-2014, 05:22 PM
5'11 white boy. I've dunked maybe 10-15 times in my life. All warm up or open gym though, never in game situation and it's been a year or two since I have cleanly dunked since I'm not as dedicated physically as I was when I was in school. Got up and hanging on the rim pretty effortlessly the other night at pickup though. Felt damn good.

Rake2204
06-10-2014, 08:25 AM
I know I was just talking above about dunking without palming, but I played with an Under Armour rock last night that I could palm and it's crazy how much easier it is to dunk in that manner. I mean, dunking without palming isn't exactly rocket science either, but I was feeling like Dr. J out there. So much more control, and dunking itself becomes a risk-free plop-in opportunity, where you can star out your legs and whatnot, as opposed to the full body commitment required of a non-palm jam. Almost feels cheap.

How much can you increase your vert in around 3-4 months? Right now I'm around 6'1" in shoes, 175 pounds. I can hang on rim, can't quite dunk.I'd say for common folk there's usually a solid opportunity for vertical increase over four months if a person commits to a solid workout. It's tough to put a number on things though.

For instance, if you haven't played a ton of basketball lately and you can hang on the rim even though your legs aren't in super shape, I think that'd tend to bode well, meaning you likely have a wider opportunity for increase. And even if you are in game shape, finding a jumping program (or something of that ilk) will likely result in positive change if done consistently with full energy.

I've done a fair portion of the 15 week Air Alert program and while I could already leap alright prior, I felt it did serve as a means of keeping my legs active if nothing else, while perhaps adding a small bit of vert. I've never made it to the end of that program though, which is where the biggest changes are likely precipitated (the workouts get nuts).

Swaggin916
06-10-2014, 03:59 PM
How much can you increase your vert in around 3-4 months? Right now I'm around 6'1" in shoes, 175 pounds. I can hang on rim, can't quite dunk.

3-4 months you can gain around 5-6 inches on your vert with the biggest gains coming a couple months apart. There will be weeks where you don't really improve for whatever reason. If you are really committed though you fight through that and keep going. You need proper rest days and a lot of calories/protein for building the explosive muscle and energy your body will require. If you would like a sample routine I can post one... It's not complicated you just have to put in the work and not overdo it. The 4 things you need to take into account are flexibly, stability, strength, and power. A routine that incorporates those is infallible if you do the work.

Marv_Albert
06-28-2014, 02:36 AM
3-4 months you can gain around 5-6 inches on your vert with the biggest gains coming a couple months apart. There will be weeks where you don't really improve for whatever reason. If you are really committed though you fight through that and keep going. You need proper rest days and a lot of calories/protein for building the explosive muscle and energy your body will require. If you would like a sample routine I can post one... It's not complicated you just have to put in the work and not overdo it. The 4 things you need to take into account are flexibly, stability, strength, and power. A routine that incorporates those is infallible if you do the work.

Bro can you post your program please??

Hands of Iron
06-29-2014, 12:42 AM
Hell no, I'm a little white boy with short arms. :lol

Don't even hardly play ball anymore since I got into bodybuilding.

PistonsFan#21
06-29-2014, 07:28 AM
this is a must read for anyone thats really serious about increasing their vertical jump: http://msuathletics.ru/books/bible/vert_jump_bible.pdf

it includes a lot of free programs depending on your training level and it explains most things you need to know about jumping higher.

Programs like air alert are bad and will only get you hurt. There is no reasonning behind it. It just makes you jump over 300 times on some exercises which is just pointless.

Im close to dunking with 2 hands now at 5'8''. Can grab rim from a standstill too

Sakkreth
06-30-2014, 11:16 AM
Yeah I can, nothing fancy though. I am 6'2,5.

Smook A.
07-10-2014, 09:12 PM
Been dunking on a 10 foot hoop since I was 15.

Im Still Ballin
07-11-2014, 12:16 PM
Lies. Daryl can't dunk. He's 5-8 soaking wet.

willy_yep
07-16-2014, 04:36 AM
6 foot in shoes here and i can throw it down if i'm pumped up enough. i only have a 6'1 wingspan too, i think i would be able to throw down with ease if i had longer arms

magic chiongson
07-16-2014, 12:00 PM
6' yes i can dunk easily windmills n stuff (and by 6' i meant the rim)

Smook A.
07-16-2014, 06:09 PM
Lies. Daryl can't dunk. He's 5-8 soaking wet.
Im 6'3

millwad
07-16-2014, 07:39 PM
Im 6'3

Daryl, how did people find out that your name is Daryl?

Milbuck
07-18-2014, 05:43 PM
Im 6'3
Funny how you weren't even close to dunking last time we played. And 6'3"? You must've grown half a foot since then too :oldlol:

Smook A.
07-18-2014, 05:56 PM
Funny how you weren't even close to dunking last time we played. And 6'3"? You must've grown half a foot since then too :oldlol:
Bro I posterized you like prime VC when we played :lol

The crowd stood up. They chanted my name. People fainted in awe, and I felt like god

PerfectCell
07-20-2014, 03:03 AM
Yes.

willy_yep
07-21-2014, 10:47 PM
can anyone dunk both off one foot and two foot take offs?

Rake2204
07-21-2014, 11:23 PM
can anyone dunk both off one foot and two foot take offs?I can but I am partial to one-foot takeoffs. I've said this story a million times here but I started as only a one-foot dunker my freshman year, learned two foot dunking my sophomore year, shifted completely to two-foot dunking and then subsequently eliminated any chance of me dunking in a game for the rest of high school. I needed open floor to dunk but I'd rush setting both of my feet and slip or lose my bounce from rushing and using bad technique (or I'd get fouled from behind).

Anywho, around age 20, I committed to re-learning one-foot dunking and it's been pretty legit ever since. 95% of my in-game dunks are one-footed these days. However, if I'm wide open on a fast break (like off a turnover where everyone was headed in the opposite direction), I still sometimes go with the two-foot dunk. It's clean, but I tend to have way more power off one-foot in games.

As a result of all that, unless a player is somewhat tall or lanky (say, with a wingspan of 6'6'' or greater), I tend to recommend most up and coming guys to skew toward one-foot dunking if they're looking to maximize their in-game opportunities. It was way easier to snag in-game dunks when I could just sprint into the open floor and rise, as opposed to worrying about setting both feet while attempting to elude and outrun defenders.

Ai2death
07-22-2014, 01:58 AM
Straight answer, no. i have negative hops

willy_yep
07-26-2014, 12:09 AM
also, does anyone have any tips on lobbing the ball for yourself off the ground?

Rake2204
07-26-2014, 10:19 AM
also, does anyone have any tips on lobbing the ball for yourself off the ground?I use a lot of arc. I see many who do not realize what it is they want the ball to do. Baby lobs with little arc will result in having to try to take the ball up with you, breaking your upward momentum in the process. The idea behind a lob is to put the ball in an area where all you have to worry about is getting your form and approach right so you can maximize your jump and go get the ball.

On the other side, it's important to know how high you can reach. For me, that means having my rock bounce just a little bit above the rim, since I'm not a guy that's soaring over 11 feet or anything. Also, as someone who prefers approaching from the left wing headed right, I try to put the ball near the front of the rim unless I'm trying to extend, at which point I'll have the ball bounce a little further out (usually necessitating a one-footed takeoff).

Here's one where the bounce came up a little short, limiting extension a little:

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/7-26-2014/EICghS.gif

And then here's a slightly higher bounce, leading to more extension:

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/7-26-2014/HCDmB6.gif

willy_yep
07-29-2014, 04:22 AM
oh, i see. will keep note to bounce the ball a bit above the rim. unfortunately i'm not even close to that level yet lol. i'm a pretty good shooter, but i'm having trouble bouncing the ball even close to the net. and when i do even get it close, i'm having trouble timing the run up to dunk it.

Lebron23
07-30-2014, 09:13 AM
top rim

Im Still Ballin
07-31-2014, 11:31 AM
Been able to dunk since 10 grade. So that's 15 years old. Only was 5-9 then but. 6-1 now. Genetically gifted vert. Never measured it but I estimate it would be close to 40. Former elite junior high jumper, never had the technique down so I never jumped as high as I should. Currently squatting 3x a week, bulking phase, when I recomp I should be jumping out of the gym.

Smoke117
08-01-2014, 03:55 AM
I'm 5'9 and half mexican/white...what do you think?

Im Still Ballin
08-01-2014, 04:00 AM
I'm 5'9 and half mexican/white...what do you think?
Believe. Achieve. Ascend to GLORY.

willy_yep
08-03-2014, 03:33 AM
how high would you say you have to touch in order to dunk? i can touch 10'6 which puts me at a 34 inch vert, but i'm getting rim stuffed at 9'10. i can do 2 hand dunks on 9'5 though.

Rake2204
08-03-2014, 01:27 PM
how high would you say you have to touch in order to dunk? i can touch 10'6 which puts me at a 34 inch vert, but i'm getting rim stuffed at 9'10. i can do 2 hand dunks on 9'5 though.I don't know man. If you can touch 10'6", that'd put you about eight inches above the rim on the 9'10'' goal you say you're getting stuffed on. Do you at least makes some dunks on 9'10''?

My max reach has been around 10'10'' over the years and I'd venture to say I usually don't get that high on my dunks. As such, I think it's safe to say that I've been able to dunk when I was just about as much over the rim as you on a 9'10'' rim.

Any videos of your attempts?

Swaggin916
08-03-2014, 04:32 PM
how high would you say you have to touch in order to dunk? i can touch 10'6 which puts me at a 34 inch vert, but i'm getting rim stuffed at 9'10. i can do 2 hand dunks on 9'5 though.

You have to be at 10'8 at least and even then you will throw most of them back off the rim especially if you can't palm it. I would say 10'10 like Rake is the point to where you can consistently put them in. If you are a one leg jumper that helps too they are easier to put in when you are right at the cusp.

I was pretty close to where you were... I was hitting like 10'4 on the rims and wasn't even close to dunking on 10 ft. I kept throwing it off back rim on 9'7 rim with one hand (2 footed jumper) but obviously I was really close. I got one 2 hand dunk on the 9'7 where I just barely put it in and hung on the rim. I was probably hitting 10'2 with my 2 hand attempts so that would put me 7 inches over the 9'7 rim on my 2 hand attempts and 9 inches on my on my one hand attempts. I feel like if I was an inch higher I could have gotten over that hump of throwing them off back iron and dunked it almost every time... or at least half the time. That's where I got the 10 inch over number from to dunk consistently. And of course like I said, if you are 10" over jumping off one foot, you will dunk it more often than a 2 footed jumper 10" over the rim. I have a friend who is 10" over the rim on a good day and he can only put them in half the time on those days... When he was up around/over 12" over a few years ago he could throw it in easy. Here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYxoFzeuD5A&list=UU0fBdUXLk4pJxuQwfn4ARCg#t=167

I will try to get one up of where he is now so you can see the difference.

willy_yep
08-04-2014, 02:55 AM
I don't know man. If you can touch 10'6", that'd put you about eight inches above the rim on the 9'10'' goal you say you're getting stuffed on. Do you at least makes some dunks on 9'10''?

My max reach has been around 10'10'' over the years and I'd venture to say I usually don't get that high on my dunks. As such, I think it's safe to say that I've been able to dunk when I was just about as much over the rim as you on a 9'10'' rim.

Any videos of your attempts?

i've dunked before on 10, but needed a lot of adrenaline to do it, and needed an alley oop. i havent played in a while, so im not sure if i can do it anymore. the dunks i did in the vid and on 9'10 were all outdoor, and i think i can jump higher on hardwood. also, they were off the dribble and the ball i was using was completely smooth. i also can't dunk off one foot on 9'5, but i'm touching 10'2 really easily.

Underballer
03-26-2015, 01:23 AM
you guys think they will raise the rims anytime soon? watched mamadou ndiaye play and he can dunk without jumping. makes me wonder how they lost, and why they dont just give the ball to him everytime.

Rake2204
03-26-2015, 09:22 AM
My dunk confidence is about as bad as its been in well over 10 years. Two summers ago, I severely sprained my ankle twice in two months and combined with the fact I was approaching 30, I simply began wondering if my dunking days were supposed to be coming to an end.

Now, I'm officially in the "Dude, you should have just dunked that" zone. I still attack hard and explode off one foot but I'm afraid of failure - I don't believe I can do it - so I've just been laying everything up to be safe. Even when goofing around outside of games, I've dramatically reduced my dunk attempts because of the fear that I'll miss, or will have to hear I'm not getting as high as I used to. Of course, not practicing dunks only perpetuates the cycle.

On more than one occasion in the past month, I've laid one in only to hear some excitedly say on the sideline, "Woooo, I thought he was about to dunk that!" That's actually kind of helped my mindframe. I had a super, super weak dunk along the baseline against Lindsey Hunter's team a few weeks ago, but it was a casual flush I only attempted because the play was dead (I was whistled for a travel).

Following that game, with dead legs after two full runs, I back-rimmed a couple of attempts but my wrist was a healthy distance above the cylinder. An encouraging sign heading into the summer, where I tend to get in better playing shape and whatnot.

Burgz V2
03-26-2015, 12:06 PM
My dunk confidence is about as bad as its been in well over 10 years. Two summers ago, I severely sprained my ankle twice in two months and combined with the fact I was approaching 30, I simply began wondering if my dunking days were supposed to be coming to an end.

Now, I'm officially in the "Dude, you should have just dunked that" zone. I still attack hard and explode off one foot but I'm afraid of failure - I don't believe I can do it - so I've just been laying everything up to be safe. Even when goofing around outside of games, I've dramatically reduced my dunk attempts because of the fear that I'll miss, or will have to hear I'm not getting as high as I used to. Of course, not practicing dunks only perpetuates the cycle.

On more than one occasion in the past month, I've laid one in only to hear some excitedly say on the sideline, "Woooo, I thought he was about to dunk that!" That's actually kind of helped my mindframe. I had a super, super weak dunk along the baseline against Lindsey Hunter's team a few weeks ago, but it was a casual flush I only attempted because the play was dead (I was whistled for a travel).

Following that game, with dead legs after two full runs, I back-rimmed a couple of attempts but my wrist was a healthy distance above the cylinder. An encouraging sign heading into the summer, where I tend to get in better playing shape and whatnot.

i know what you mean. I've been dealing with a hamstring strain for the past 2 months. I'm a left footed jumper and it's my left leg that's injured. i can still get up high enough but my landings are still shaky so I've been forced to two foot jump most of the time now. I still have a pretty good two foot vert but it takes away all my opportunities for a dunk because the extra step allows the help to come over.

it takes a while for the confidence to come back, and I feel as though once it does come back, you usually injure yourself again and start that cycle over :lol

Jailblazers7
03-26-2015, 03:19 PM
Probably been a year since I played and a couple years since I've thrown a good dunk down but I'm starting to feel the itch again. I turn 25 this year so I figure the clock is ticking until father time starts to really interfere with my athleticism.

Finally started going to the gym and doing some real workouts and shootarounds with the goal of dunking this summer. My goal is to really throw one down in traffic this year.

raiderfan19
03-26-2015, 07:36 PM
I could dunk from when i was 17 till i was about 26. I was never an every single time i tried to dunk it was going in guy, but i was pretty consistently about 75% in non contested dunks(i never really tried to dunk on people) 29 now and carrying an extra few lbs now so cant do it anymore. Can barely grab the rim these days. Still block a few shots though.

Siemens
03-26-2015, 08:01 PM
Nope, and never could. I could grab the rim, but that is it.

jamal99
03-26-2015, 09:50 PM
i know what you mean. I've been dealing with a hamstring strain for the past 2 months. I'm a left footed jumper and it's my left leg that's injured. i can still get up high enough but my landings are still shaky so I've been forced to two foot jump most of the time now. I still have a pretty good two foot vert but it takes away all my opportunities for a dunk because the extra step allows the help to come over.

it takes a while for the confidence to come back, and I feel as though once it does come back, you usually injure yourself again and start that cycle over :lol
I'm in a similar position, but it's not hamstring, it's above it, like butt cheek. It doesn't hurt from playing, but it starts when I try to jump off my left leg. So I'm finishing my layups with as low pressure on my left leg as possible.

Last Sunday I went for a dunk of left leg thinking how it didn't hurt in a while so it must be gone and pain ****ed me so I switched it to layup which I missed and we lost the game mostly because of that...

Rake2204
03-26-2015, 11:22 PM

it takes a while for the confidence to come back, and I feel as though once it does come back, you usually injure yourself again and start that cycle over :lolWeird, I've honestly been dealing with a hamstring strain as well. Certainly not a serious injury, and one I hardly notice in regular life, but the moment I begin trying to stride out for a one-footed explosive takeoff, it feels like it wants to rip. For as non-severe as it feels, it's sure taking a while to heal itself.

Your second paragraph has a lot of truth to it as well, ha.

blazersfan52
04-01-2015, 02:03 PM
I have before, legit 2 handed dunk on a 10 foot rim, 2 times in a row, been like a month and a half, haven't done one since, gotten close, I am 6 feet tall with a wing span of like 6'4 last I measured, I weigh 140 lbs, can't palm the ball, but I pretty much always get the needed height with one or two hands, I just don't have the confidence to put it down I guess.

Underballer
07-01-2015, 11:31 PM
been working on my jump and i can attest to that its easier to dunk off 1 foot than 2. especially off the dribble with the ball in your hands too, off 2 you really need a good arm swing, and thats inhibited when youre holding the ball. theres less of a difference if you lob the ball to yourself though, but i still feel like i can stretch out a bit higher off 1

2swift4u
07-02-2015, 09:02 AM
been working on my jump and i can attest to that its easier to dunk off 1 foot than 2. especially off the dribble with the ball in your hands too, off 2 you really need a good arm swing, and thats inhibited when youre holding the ball. theres less of a difference if you lob the ball to yourself though, but i still feel like i can stretch out a bit higher off 1

I agree. Most small players I know who can dunk are doing it off 1 foot. For the reason you mentioned. Unfortunately I'm a 2 foot jumper and I simply can't jump with the ball in my hands because I really need that full arm swing. So I have to try it with a lob to myself. Last night I almost put one down. Unfortunately the ball rattled out. :mad: That would have been my very first dunk ever. I really hope I'll make one soon...

VeeCee15
07-02-2015, 11:14 AM
if u have to emphasize dunking 2 times in a row successfully that ain't dunking lol or u are pretty much borderline not able to dunk.

at my peak i can touch 11'4. I'm 6'1.5. Could do 180, dunk from behind dotted line..dunk from standstill (and i'm a 1 foot jumper). Can dunk very effortlessly.

But i'm 33 now haven't tried dunking for like 2 years and rarely exercise lol.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
07-02-2015, 04:43 PM
Easily
6'ish got a 34 inch verti:applause: :applause:
heres somethin i posted from the ISH challenge and nah i dont jump off both feet or do 2 handers in game
http://i61.tinypic.com/5uqtfr.gif

the vid i was drillin other stuff with my team but the link has personal info on it so im not postin youtube

FreezingTsmoove
07-02-2015, 11:29 PM
Yup but I worked my ass off to get it one summer. In NY there are literally parks everywhere so from 12-9 I balled/biked all day. That was my prime summer. I was going into my junior year and there was no way I was going to let the new kids on varsity take my starting spot (I played vars sophmore year but wasnt a starter since the SG was a senior who beat my ass daily). After a month of intense training I decided why dont I try to touch rim and I touched it. I had no idea I had bounce like that because during the season I could just clap. By October I was throwing it down.

What a summer

But believe me I really really worked hard for it. Like at least 25-35 miles a day. I probably switched parks 6-7 times throughout the day. Alternating to parks where I can get good games, and parks where I could just practice by myself.

Also stopped smoking. At night I would just drink or pop stupid shit with my un athletic boys

senelcoolidge
07-06-2015, 09:36 PM
Not anymore for sure, but back in high school when I played basketball everyday. 6'1" without shoes. I didn't have a great vertical leap but I think my long arms helped. They helped me to block shots at my size.

Cocaine80s
07-14-2015, 12:29 AM
Hit my first dunk last night on 9'10

Tried 10 feet but kept backrimming. Hopefully gonna get it down on 10 by the end of summer.

TripleA
07-14-2015, 06:14 PM
I've been able to dunk for the last two years but now I can windmill.:D

90sgoat
08-28-2015, 01:33 PM
I'm 183cm about 6 feet and could never dunk. With a tennis ball yes, and 'almost' dunking with a ball. Not close to dunking in a game. Used to bother me a great deal and there wasn't any kind of dunking training program like the Vert Bible back then.

TheImmortal
01-31-2016, 04:37 AM
Yup.. Then again I'm practically a big man. :lol

Rake2204
02-01-2016, 12:44 PM
I'm closing in on 32 years old in a couple of weeks. At 6'3'' with a 6'3'' wingspan, I couldn't afford to lose many inches off my vert when it comes to dunking. But it's happening.

As mentioned on the previous page, I'm still getting in-game opportunities where I finish above the rim with teammates saying "Shoulda dunked that!" In hindsight I'm not sure if I'm high enough for those plays to be certainties.

I think I had two in-game dunks in 2015, that I remember anyway. They happened within a short span of time and were both very clean certainties. Then I hit the road for over a month and got away from the game. Haven't dunked in a game since, though winter can oftentimes be dormant when it comes to game availability.

It's also interesting how my body kind of just doesn't feel like trying to dunk during warm-ups or practice or whatever. In all seriousness, I can still get up pretty well but whereas in my 20's someone telling me to dunk would make me say, "Aight, I'll give it a go", now it's totally a thing where it's like, "Aw man, do I have to?"

The weird inner disincentive to dunk makes me think I can't. But then when I actually get around to giving it a go, I'm up way higher than I figured I would be. I think my mind/body is playing tricks on me. Classic 30-year-old stuff.

G-train
02-03-2016, 12:18 AM
yer but barely. getting older.

The hooper
04-18-2020, 11:48 PM
I know I can. dunking is is probably one of my most valuble bball skills! I looove dunking, and please believe the ladies do too loll

They be like :bowdown: and i be like :pimp: then :banana: then she be like
:applause: and i be like :cheers:

Can any'ya fools dunk??

Favorite comment of all the time :roll:

The hooper
04-18-2020, 11:52 PM
I have before, legit 2 handed dunk on a 10 foot rim, 2 times in a row, been like a month and a half, haven't done one since, gotten close, I am 6 feet tall with a wing span of like 6'4 last I measured, I weigh 140 lbs, can't palm the ball, but I pretty much always get the needed height with one or two hands, I just don't have the confidence to put it down I guess.

You can always practice on a 8 foot rim to get that confidence and technique built up

Lakersfan4702
07-09-2020, 11:23 PM
I was able to for a long time, but I'm an old man now

MEDZ
08-07-2020, 05:45 AM
I had a completely unrelated question i was hoping i can get the answer to..

During a half court game, if the rebound doesn't hit the rim even though the first shot did can the opponents then take the shot or do they have to take it back out of the Arc?

Thanks

bigbrownschaub
08-09-2020, 05:15 PM
I had a completely unrelated question i was hoping i can get the answer to..

During a half court game, if the rebound doesn't hit the rim even though the first shot did can the opponents then take the shot or do they have to take it back out of the Arc?

Thanks

thanks. the issue has been resolved, b. what else u got chin?

Manny98
08-13-2020, 11:29 AM
I'm 6 foot 185, currently I can only just about touch the rim

Definitely by 2021 I will be comfortably dunking :applause:

Stanley Kobrick
08-14-2020, 08:16 PM
I'm 6 foot 185, currently I can only just about touch the rim

Definitely by 2021 I will be comfortably dunking :applause:
keep up the hard work :cheers:

Alex_Trickshot
09-17-2020, 07:08 AM
Yeah I can guys!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvA8vdK8qdU

Underballer
08-20-2021, 10:27 AM
been working on it again. don't expect to dunk 10', but it's fun dunking on lower rims and dunking smaller balls on 10'

2much_knowledge
11-24-2021, 12:38 AM
https://youtu.be/2YsjxEX-UTw

What you think? I was a monster at low rim

Underballer
04-03-2022, 03:21 AM
nope

BarberSchool
04-24-2022, 11:09 PM
Not since 2016. I’ll Billy Hoyle 10/10 attempts unless I drop 15lbs and play daily for 2 months, then I’ll be able to do my regular non-advanced sh!t

BarberSchool
04-24-2022, 11:12 PM
https://youtu.be/2YsjxEX-UTw

What you think? I was a monster at low rimLove me a soft, broken in 9’9” when the PYT’s watching

Underballer
06-07-2022, 07:14 PM
yes on 9'

Jud
10-07-2022, 10:55 PM
yes on 9'

Same

ballnetbasketba
07-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Haha, man, I wish I could throw it down like those NBA pros,:facepalm but I'm just a 5'9" baller trying to keep it real on the court. Dunking ain't my forte, but I make up for it with my handles and sweet jump shot. Who needs to dunk when you can finesse your way through defenders and drain those buckets? It's all about finding your strengths and rocking the game in your own style, my friend. So, nah, no dunks for me, but I still bring the heat on the court!:rockon:

heyfox
07-20-2023, 03:04 AM
No dunking here either, but if we talk hilariously embarrassing attempts - have a couple to brag about :facepalm

Nanners
09-01-2023, 05:24 PM
Physically speaking I havent dunked since college, but mentally I dunk on people every time I log on to this site